Originally published December 28, 2010 at 06:24p.m., updated December 29, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Josh Selby to start first game, Marcus Morris to come off the bench

Kansas guard Josh Selby warms up prior to tipoff against USC, Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selby will play his first game as a Jayhawk.

Videos

Self, players discuss holiday break

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self and players Tyrel Reed, Josh Selby and Marcus Morris discuss their holiday break.

Marcus Morris faced no NCAA-mandated suspension for committing a flagrant foul and getting tossed from Kansas University’s heated 78-63 victory over the University of California last Wednesday in Berkeley, Calif.

He’s encountered some discipline, Bill Self-style, however.

KU’s junior small forward from Philadelphia will come off the bench for the first time this season — as the Jayhawks (11-0) go with a radically different look in today’s 8 p.m. home contest against the University of Texas at Arlington (5-5).

“He’s not going to start. For how long, I don’t know,” KU coach Self said, stressing that Morris will definitely play against the Mavericks of the Southland Conference.

“He had it right where he wanted it and let it get away from him,” Self added of Morris.

Self reported that sophomore Thomas Robinson will start his first game of the season — second of his career — at power forward. He’ll be in the same frontcourt as junior Markieff Morris, who started the first nine games before coming off the bench in the last two.

Freshman Josh Selby will make his first start at combo guard in three games, while Elijah Johnson lands his first start of the campaign and third in his two-year career at point guard. Senior Tyrel Reed, who has started all 11 games, will open in the backcourt as part of KU’s three-guard lineup.

“We haven’t given Thomas a chance to start. To be honest with you, he’s played real well the last couple games — (been) really big for us,” Self said. “We’ve been playing small, Travis (Releford, starter last two games) has done a nice job, still, we’re going to play two bigs tomorrow and we’ll switch some things up on the perimeter as well.”

Tyshawn Taylor will come off the bench for the first time all season. He finally boarded a 5 p.m. flight Tuesday at Newark, N.J.’s snowbound airport, after missing four straight practices dating to Sunday night. Weary after arriving at the airport as early as 8 a.m., Tuesday, Taylor did indeed finally work out with the Jayhawks on Tuesday night in KU’s practice facility.

“It’s not his fault,” Self said of Taylor’s delayed return to Lawrence from holiday break, “but when a guy misses four practices in a row ... you wouldn’t even do that (start) if a guy turns his ankle. At least I wouldn’t do that.

“It’s still his starting spot, but he definitely won’t start (tonight). He’ll be the first to tell you he shouldn’t. How can you have any rhythm when he hasn’t had a ball in his hand the last seven days?”

Selby, who scored 21 and 18 points versus USC and Cal, will remain at combo guard, with Johnson taking the heat off him — as Taylor did — at the lead guard slot.

“I don’t worry about who starts. All that matters is who finishes,” Selby said Tuesday.

Noted Self: “I think Josh is doing great. I think he’s picking stuff up all the time. He’s really trying hard. He’s done a really nice job and a good job fitting in.”

Self remains bothered by the flagrant foul Marcus Morris picked up after elbowing Cal’s Harper Kamp in the face with 17:23 remaining.

“That was a very, very immature play that he made on his part,” Self said. “He certainly has to be more mature than that because he’s too valuable.

“He shouldn’t have done that, but I think in some ways, things like that have a way of getting a guy’s attention to the point where they get a lot better fast, where they understand the value of things coaches have been telling them all along.”

Morris said he apologized to both Cal’s Kamp and to his teammates.

“Of course I went back and looked at it (tape). It was all over ESPN for a while,” Morris said. “It was a mental mistake by me. My team needs me. My coach told me I can’t do things like that. I already knew by me being a captain it was a bad play.”

Self doesn’t designate official team captains. But with Morris being a first-team preseason all-Big 12 pick, it’s obvious who the Jayhawks look to for leadership.

“The guys look to us for confirmation. We all know as a team who the captains are,” Morris said. “Even for the young guys who look up to me and my teammates — for them to think I’d do something as stupid as I did to get myself thrown out of the game — it’s kind of embarrassing to me and embarrassing to the fans, too.”

He was asked if other teams will try to bait him.

“I expect everybody to do that,” Morris said. “I mean, you try to get into the two best players’ heads. ‘Kieff .. they do the same thing with him. You just can’t retaliate the way I did.”

Morris said he should have taken a different approach.

“I really never let my temper get ahead of me, but I felt it was dirty play. I should have went to the refs and told them that something was going on. I retaliated the wrong way,” he said.

Self realizes other teams may continue to try to get into the twins’ heads.

“I guess there’s always a possibility. You watch tape and if a guy gets that easily provoked,” Self said. “There were some things if you really watched the game from the perspective we did — and tape is the true indicator — that was a pretty chippy game and it started right from the beginning. But Marcus has to be smarter than that.”

Self praised Robinson for not losing his cool during a second half scramble for the ball in which he actually was knocked in the face by Cal’s Jorge Gutierrez.

“Thomas handled himself beautifully,” Self said. “It’s about as good as a guy can handle himself when guys are on top of him squirming around.”

Comments

Hail_To_Thee 3 years, 10 months ago

Good to see TRob being rewarded for his efforts. Lets hope this lights a fire under the arses of several of our players.

RCJH

Larry Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

Very interesting lineup. Once TT gets back I could see a TT, Selby, Reed, Twins starting lineup. That would be tough to defend. Bigs who can shoot, spread the floor and watch it open up for the slashers.

slowplay 3 years, 10 months ago

That will be the starting lineup once the Big 12 season starts. T-Rob will rotate in the post and Morningstar, EJ an Relford on the perimeter. Withey and Woolridge may see some time if fouls are a factor but will rarely see more than a minute or two. Little is history. Self will keep him around as a practice body but nothing more.

Joe Baker 3 years, 10 months ago

slowplay- I'm afraid you're right about Little. Little's court date is May 2011!! KU will let him graduate, but he will not play again for KU the remainder of the year.

It's not the situation you want but it does open the door for Deandre Daniels.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Josh Selby will not see the bench again. Everything else is up in the air. Brilliant.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Unless he whips his junk out, gets a dui, or doesn't pay his traffic tickets. Other than that he's solid.

Adam Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

yeah but the way our guys have been acting the last few years...Selby just needs to stay away from the football team, women, and booze and he'll be A-Okay.

chriz 3 years, 10 months ago

i wanna see him go between the legs

saad007 3 years, 10 months ago

HELP PLEASE: Hello fellow jayhawks. I live overseas and would love to watch the game online. The espn3 online is not working for some reason.I Would greatly appreciate any help finding a website to stream it online. Thanks in advance. ROCK CHALK!!

Adam Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey saad. ESPN3 only works with certain internet providers, and does not carry all games due to contract restrictions from other networks. If you have access to ESPNU, I believe that station is carrying the game tomorrow night. Also, keep an eye on the boards here, especially the real time updates we get each game, as someone will usually post a site with the password to watch it. That's how I was able to see the Cal game last week.

beware0fph0g 3 years, 10 months ago

In addition to what KUGuyInTarheelLand said, check atdhe.net. That's how I was able to catch the ESPN3 game tonight of Wisconsin v Minnesota. Crystal clear quality, and no lags.

chriz 3 years, 10 months ago

I concur. I had a hard time watching it during Selby's first game, but probably because everyone was tuning in.

keithwt 3 years, 10 months ago

try this website: http://www.justin.tv/wichitachiefsfan#/w/548133024 password:Pioli he carries the Jayhawk network games. If it's a nationally televised (ESPN, CBS, etc.) he may not broadcast it. He also does the Chiefs games, if you're interested.

Marc Frey 3 years, 10 months ago

I have that website bookmarked and so far, every game has been there for me.

saad007 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you all!! feedback much appreciated. Rock Chalk!!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

Obviously, I have no idea what you have available but I have found KU on the MSGHD, CBS college sports, Fox college sports and other channels by channel surfing. Not saying you will have the same or any luck but it's worth trying.

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm excited to see this lineup. I love the energy that TRob brings, and it's going to be great to see that from the beginning. And of course Selby is just starting (pun intended) to show what he can do.

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

I wish I could help you, saad, but I watch all the games on TV through ESPN Full Court so I don't know what internet sites to go to. Where are you located? I'm guessing there's nothing like Full Court available there? (Or is it possible to get a program like Full Court through the internet?)

saad007 3 years, 10 months ago

Actorman: thanks for your response bro. In fact, I graduated from KU in 2005 and currently live in Casablanca, Morocco. And as u said, there sure is nothing like Full Court down here. Man I miss Lawrence :)

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 10 months ago

Have you tried Jayhawk All-Access thru KUAthletics.com?

I've never used it, but they apparently stream live.

KANSTUCKY 3 years, 10 months ago

Justin.tv they had a number of games last year of various quality.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 10 months ago

EJ's chance to shine & I think he's ready.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

I just hope he gets a legitimate chance... Not what we've seen so far where he makes 1 tiny mistake and gets yanked...

Joe Baker 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope EJ plays and gains some much needed confidence even if he does make some mistakes. I think we can allow some guys to make some much needed errors for learning reasons.

EJ isn't playing with that confidence and swag he brought to KU. He seems different. Hopefully the next few games will change my perception. He's due a breakout game.

Larry Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

He averages almost 15 minutes a game, Releford is in that same ball park and TRob averages a little over 16. I don't think he gets yanked after mistakes, I just think that is where he is at in the rotation. It may appear like he gets yanked after mistakes simply because he makes them often in the time that he does get.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

Brady on the other hand is left in to continue to get burnt by quicker guards, commit fouls resulting in 3 or even 4 pt plays, and contribute nothing on offense.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawk86: There is no mistaking it .. both EJ and Releford have been yanked this season for one mistake. Multiple time. The last game, Releford shot a 3, missed, and was immediately pulled. Right as the ball clanked the rim, Self was pointing at the bench and Releford was out.

What we don't know is what Self has told them. For example, Self may have told Releford .. "look, get in the flow first, no threes in the first 5 minutes" ... who knows. But clearly the hook is quicker, and that may be function of their overall play.

It was interesting last season that Taylor would make multiple mistakes, and stay in the game. He seemed to have more rope than anyone.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes I think TT can see the floor better than EJ or Travis & plays with a tad more control. Need to dribble with your head up to do this. If EJ pushes real hard when the opening isn't there, he'll be gone. But if guys can fill the lanes or he brings it back out when necessary, he could get bocoo minutes. I haven't seen the games vs weaker opponents this year, but did see all 3 vs Pac 10 & don't have the best perspective overall. It's so easy for us to see the replays, full court camera shots, etc., but these kids have to see it full speed plus make the right decisions-NOW. Can't even imagine how well they execute under the game conditions. Self is definitely showing TT lots of patience & I like to see them all do well. Hopefully TRob can get his hormones under control & the fouls will go down too. We're not real deep with rebounders. That's part of the inability to fill the lanes on the break, clearly when Reed & Releford are getting so many def boards. Still whomever the point guard is, the rock's gotta be in the middle of the floor. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Josh there alot tonight. Someone would have to be brain dead to call that an experiment.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

How many practices does TT need to start against UT-Arlington at AFH? If he's so ill prepared why bother to play him at all? This looks more like a wake-up call to TT than a decsion based on TT attending four practices after a third of the season is over. I do hope though that EJ gets a real chance to prove himself.

Brian Powell 3 years, 10 months ago

Love that lineup. go EJ. go Trob.

oh, and Selby duh

LVJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Saad007

Here's another link to check out. http://www.justin.tv/wichitachiefsfan#/w/681821792

Access code Pioli. But not always the best quality.

Trey Hohman 3 years, 10 months ago

I want to see someone come up with a better nickname for J. Selby. "Showtime" is so 1980's and the Lakers already have the copyright to it.....Instead, I suggest Josh, "Night Moves" Selby.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

TRob starting for Marcus.

EJ starting for Tyshawn, or Brady.

Selby starting for Brady, or Tyshawn.

Kieff starting for Travis.

Reed no change.

Self is not just punishing Marcus for getting tossed.

He is doing two other things, also.

The next reason Self is sitting Marcus appears to be that he is trying to make Selby and Marcus equal options on offense.

Self was clearly jazzed about the defense Selby played his second game. I know I was. With that kind of D by a freshman, there's no reason not to have his gun in the lineup ASAP.

The question is: who are EJ and Selby starting for? Which will play PG? Which will run the team while in?

EJ had a fine game vs. Memphis filling in at the 3 for Brady.

Selby had two fine games filling in for Brady.

EJ is the backup PG.

But Selby has PG written all over his grille.

If I'm Self, I am torn between putting the ball in Selby's hands at PG, and sticking with the PG committee of Tyshawn/EJ, which lets me have my Selby/Brady committee at 3, which lets me use Travis for insurance at the 4 until Little gets back, or Withey recovers from whatever is sucking the life from him.

Most likely, though, EJ starts to send a wake-up to Tyshawn, the Tyshawn/EJ committee continues, and Self gets a combo guard at the 3 that can double the post, while lighting up the score board and getting the doubles off Marcus Morris' back.

Go Hawks!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate: I saw your post back after the California game where you suggested that Self told Marcus to get tossed, and suggesting that it was something Self masterminded. I could not disagree more with that conclusion. I raise that because I think possibly your point that Marcus is not sitting as punishment for the elbow goes back to your belief it was part of Self's plan .. meaning he wouldn't punish Marcus for something he told Marcus to do. Don't know.

I agree completely with your thought that part of the thought process for sitting Marcus has to be to catch the attention of the refs. Marcus has always been one that has gotten the cheap call against him. That is good coaching. And that may impact the length of the benching.

But I clearly believe that Self is also punishing Marcus for his actions, and would have taken place even if the referee consideration issue was not present. The length of the "benching" may relate more to the ref issue, as it coincides nicely with our schedule.

My belief is that Self would not condone the type of action/retaliation taken by Marcus in the game .. no sane coach would want an elbow thrown like that by a player that would determine conference and national title hopes .. that clearly looked intentional. That creates a reputation, and unwanted scrutiny. I would assume that Self would have preferred less blatant ways to handle the situation (playing tight and strong with your body, and making fouls mean something). Many other reasons for that, but heading the list, Self would not want his star to "lead by example" in that fashion. If this truly was not a punishment, then there is little deterrant for immaturity, selfishness, etc. Further, it would be incorrect for Self to think that these college age guys can turn it on, turn it off, so to speak. Once that activity is condoned, then the cat might be out of the bag. Additionally .. and just opinion here .. I just don't think Self plays the game that way. I have never understood, nor observed, him to condone blatant thuggery (I know the the "thug" word is a buzz word for some, but I struggled to find a better word to describe purposeful elbows to the face, punching, etc.).

I think we can take Self at his word here. This was punishment. But the positive by-product of the punishment will certainly be to create some good will with the refs, to try to deflect some scrutiny, and to protect Marcus. And that may have something to do with the length of the punishment in this three game stretch before Michigan.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 10 months ago

Absurd to think HCBS wanted him to make contact with someones' face.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Coach Consonants has his players cheap shotting every which way. What is sacred about a face?

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

HEM,

Glad you finally saw that post and felt a need to respond.

Hope your are right, but doubt it.

The XTReme Cheap Shotting I forecast after the Duke Butler game appears here to stay for awhile.

dnvrhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

"He is trying to win brownie points with referees and save Marcus from getting some quick fouls from refs trying to make it known that they are not taking any of his cheap shots. Know Self intended for the refs to notice that Self announced a day in advance that Marcus lost his job for the elbow. The refs will see Marcus on the bench at the start of the game and will not feel they need to give him a foul on behalf of the striped brotherhood."

What???? You've got to be kidding.

NWjayhawk20 3 years, 10 months ago

Im actually really pumped about this lineup:

1. Curious to see if TRob can bring some of that same energy to start the game as he does off the bench, just hoping he doesnt go crazy with adrenaline and look like a freshman again.

2. I too want to see what EJ can do at the point with the starters in the game (albeit not the "normal" starters).

3. Glad to see HCBS sending 'Cus a message from his little stunt last week, imagine if that were to happen in a Big XII game on the road, where the environments are wayyy more hostile than the half jayhawk nation Berkley?

4. Selby is Selby. I know its only been two games, but the kid is so athletic and gifted that he will get his on a nightly basis. Good to see his play rewarded with his first start in AFH.

5. Tyrel is our rock. Absolutely love his game and he is stabilizing force on both ends of the floor for us. He doesnt make mistakes on defense and he hits big shots, cant ask for much more from him since he has been shooting better as of late.

Pumped for the next couple tune up games before another decent true road game right before conference season starts!

RCJHGKU! Get 'em boys!

Kent Richardson 3 years, 10 months ago

"Showtime" has generated approximately zero buzz. And Selby seems to engender more solid play than glitz. "Night Moves" works but we should give that one to Mario. So far his moniker should be "Dagger" for the way he is nailing threes but until we see his full game on display we should make a covenant to change week to week until it feels (sounds) right.

RockChalk26 3 years, 10 months ago

Let's do it EJ! Loosen up and let the game come to you. This is your time to shine.

RCJH!

AsadZ 3 years, 10 months ago

I liked Kieff coming off the bench as it cut down on his quick fouls and he was more energetic. This reminded me of the strategy that UCLA coach used against KU by not starting his 300lb center who was getting quick fouls and that had worked well.

dochambers 3 years, 10 months ago

Re: Marcus and potential foul trouble:

When Brien Zoubek was a junior at (forgive me for mentioning the school) Duke, he was probably the only guy I have ever watched who would get his first personal while waiting at the scorers' table. The next year, he figured it out and was a factor in Duke's run for the roses.

With any luck, the message HCBS is sending will resonate with the other guys as well as Marcus.

hawkmaster 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad to see Self mixing it up, its early, good time to play with the line-up against a lesser opponent. Maybe should have done some of this earlier in the season. Time to light a fire under some of these guys, seems to be some complacency left over from last years' team at times, not going full throttle or stepping on the throat. EJ has some ball handling difficulty but just needs experience, I remember a young Chalmers that had those same problems. I have no problem with Morningstar & Reed coming off the bench, if EJ earns the starting nod with Selby and Tyshawn. TRob has earned a start also and it could be argued that Markieff has been the most dependable overall player in the past 4 games for KU - - he leads the Big 12 in rebounding at 9.1. Marcus has lost some aggressiveness on the offensive end as the competition has gotten better, he is settling for fade-aways and turnarounds - - that are not dropping. I like this year's team, it is the kind of team that Self does his best coaching with because they are still learning, and they will grow and peak by season end. - - unlike last year's team where I thought Collins and Aldrich got to the point they were just going through the motions and not making any meaningful progress during the year...Go Hawks...

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

I've become rather frustrated, w/ regard to Marcus offensive post game.

His baseline turnaround seems to be his only go-to post move.

For some reason, his turnaround fadeaway in the paint just isn't falling. I know little about post moves, so I guess I should stop speculating :-}

kennethst 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate and Theutus......hello again and hope you had a nice holiday! Another year of KU basketball!!! Isn't it great??

And not a bad start, huh?

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

A great start! Can't wait to see Selby come into his own (even moreso), and I hope to see EJ get some much needed time tonight....

Should be interesting to see how things pan out, even if it's against a cupcake.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 10 months ago

Selby interview on this site. Says he didn't watch the USC game winning shot, because he doesn't want to get 'big-headed.' I cannot wait to watching him during league. Young dude seems pretty focused!!!!

dmb40fan 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the biggest and possibly best component of Marcus game is his ability to do so many things. He sees the floor very well, especially for someone who is seeing immediate double teams on the post, and see's cutters just as well. He can extend the floor on the offensive end, and has some good footwork on the post. I however don't like the way he played against Cal. I do believe that the game was a battle, but it's basketball, not a UFC cagematch. KU has always been know for classy players and winning the right way, I would like to maintain that stereotype. I actually wouldn't mind the idea of kicking Little off the team. I think so many schools let the players get away with incidents like this and feel they should be punished for their actions if they are truly representatives of Kansas. I think maybe Villinova had it right in kicking Pinkston off their team for the year for a fight he was involved in, I think Jay Wright did the exact right thing. Too many kids come in thinking they are entitled to everything, and can act whatever way best fits that time and place.
I also think this game will get Whitney some more minutes, b/c we will need him once the Big 12 gets started, 2-3 games a week, and god forbid a big goes down, we will need him as well in the Big 12 tournament, 3 possible games in 3 days, means alot of tough minutes, and he will need to be ready. Also, let's remember that if TT does well coming of the bench vs. Texas Arlington, they are playing UT Arlington, not anyone of high level competition. I say keep sitting TT, and give EJ a chance or Releford.

hawksince51 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a rather technical point but I'm confused as to why you call Marcus Morris "KU's junior small forward." He is playing the 4 spot which is traditionally called power forward. I realize we say we start 2 forwards and Marcus is the smaller twin but in reality Markieff is playing the 5. IMHO with the 3 guard offense we have no small forward.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 10 months ago

One step further. When Releford and Withey are sitting, I think it could be argued that we have no traditional small forward AND no center - 3 guards & 2 power forwards, as TRob, 'Kief & Marcus are all power forwards, even through the Morris twins can both hit an outside shot with time and space.

I would love to see this team with a long, athletic small forward that can score and play defense.

Brady too often gets matched as an under-sized defender against longer, more athletic 2's and real 3's, and while he does an admirable job, he's at a huge disadvantage from the start.

My guess is Marcus is commonly referred to as a small forward because it is the position he will most likely play in the NBA.

hawksince51 3 years, 10 months ago

I had hoped that Mario Little would be the small forward you described that we need. Maybe Releford can fill the bill when we require more size at the 3 spot.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

Great lineup---anxious to see it in action, too, tonight. BTW, Purdue hammered Michigan, at Michigan. It wasn't even close. When the Jayhawks go to play the Wolverines, it should be another interesting road game.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

This is almost the exact lineup I thought we would be playing com conference time. Obviously, I had Marcus starting but this should be really interesting.

Alohahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Perfect timing for lineup changes and experimentation. Hate to look ahead more than one game at a time, but the next three games, or perhaps four, should decide what the final makeup of this team will be. Marcus needs to be punished for his Cal actions. TT isn't being punished for something out of his control. But neither one can, or should, feel they are being benched because of their abilities on the court. However, both situations create the perfect "alibi" for HCBS to play three, or four, hands of poker, because he still has a full deck with which to play and lots of face cards still to be revealed. Which card will give him a full house or a straight flush? Or, is there a wild card to give him five of a kind? Just how prepared is our bench? Can they be counted on during crucial moments? What players work better with what other players? Who fits in best at what time? Who can he count on to do what he asks, not what the individual player wants to do? We all know Self shortens the rotation come conference time, so these last pre-conference games (baring injury or other unforeseen elements, ie Mario Little's troubles) should reveal the major role players for the rest of the season. Self's philosophy has always seemed to be: Too many players creates chaos and uncertainty. This board's philosophy appears to be (and mostly mine): Waste not, want not. Or, If you've got the horses, use them.

When the competition gets tougher a team really needs the overall cohesiveness of playing together, thus a smaller rotation might prove preferential. Case in point: remember what happened to Texas last year? Barnes couldn't decide who to play. They looked great on paper with tons of five star talent, but they were a bunch of individuals focused more on playing in the NBA, not winning the Big 12 or a national championship. I think Barnes even admited that that has always been his goal, getting players to the NBA. Hence, all the five star recruits. Texas appears to be playing more as a team this year. IMHO, I doubt they will implode this year. K-State was picked to win the Big 12 and a lot of people liked Baylor, but recent history being what it is, I see Texas being our biggest hurdle this year. We're lucky we're playing them in the Phog.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

If Marcus would have thrown this elbow....say, in the living room of some guys house, he could have been arrested for battery, right?

But because it was on a basketball court, it only leads to a 1 game benching & no criminal charges........hmmmmmmm

I guess, next time Mario has beef, he should take it to the court with those Sanchitos.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

@aloha

i was not intending to 'reply' to your post.

my apologies

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

A bit off topic but I need the insight of you bloggers.

Jayhawks come to West Texas on Februrary 1st to play the Red Raiders. I am considering attending but am hesitant if the Jayhawks stand a 50% chance of whiffing on that game. I work for Texas Tech and I prefer to run the gauntlet of my coworkers when the end result is a KU win. (hope you all understand that)

Second, anyone know what Bill Self's attitude is on autographs? I was entertaining the idea of asking him to sign my copy of his book "At Home in the Phogg".

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

Bill doesn't like signing autographs, unless it is for a charitable cause.

That being said, I do know he can be caught at the right place and time, and he'll sign it...in a one-one-one, or more personable setting.

He doesn't like doing it in large crowds, and he loathes it when jerks sell his autographs.

An acquantance of mine has been the locker room security guard since Bill arrived in 2003. This comes straight from him. This is the biggest guy standing in the Southwest corner tunnel at AFH. He's guarded the locker room for 7 years, and still hasn't mustered the courage to ask Bill for the signature.

But, good luck to you!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

I understand that. It's actually what I would have expected. I was thinking it would be neat to have a signed book in the family to pass along to generations.

I notice you didn't address the question as to how KU would stand up against Tech. My concern is that Tech has one of those nights where thier 3 point shooting savant shows up, aka Voskuil from two years ago.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

BC----I would go just because I am a "die-hard" fan, but I know you are in an unique situation. KU, based on their second half performance at Cal, should win the game at Lubbock. I know they haven't had much success there in West Texas, but you gotta believe that this is a special team. Like the game at Stillwater, too. You would think KU should win this game. But the magic of Iba Arena may have something to do with the result. Good luck with the autograph and with your decision on the KU/Tech game.

brooksmd 3 years, 10 months ago

Lots of good analysis on the starting 5 tonight. Could it also be HCBS is just experimenting with a different line-up? The older I get I tend to look at things in a more simplistic attitude. Oh, btw, if anybody is interested there will be an opening for an electronics technician with the USPS in New Orleans when I retire this Friday.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Some observations heading into the game - 1. We don't need a pure 3: Nice to see some now come around to the idea that we do not necessarily need a pure 3 on the floor, in favor of 3 combo guards and two bigs. Thus comparisons between those manning each of those 3 positions are valid and reasonable to consider in assessing playing time. Our team can function without a true "3", and excel. There will be a "3", and it will be related to floor positioning in the base offense, but that's it. 2. Risk of not having a pure 3: The biggest risk and concern with this approach is being overmatched on the defensive end by a 6'6" 3-man. Currently, Releford is the only good match for that, or Brady in the right circumstances. 3. Team strength: Interestingly, a strength may end up being three point shooting .. a major concern early. With Selby, Reed, and EJ (if he can go at 40%), along with what Marcus and Releford can chip in, we should be just fine. 4. 2008: It is good to remember what Self did with Robinson, Collins, and Mario on the floor in 2008 was to create scoring outside of our "normal" offense. We saw more of the top of the key weave (which sets up the drive and dish, or the kick to corner on a step back off the weave), we saw more set plays, and we saw more of those players exchanging spots on the floor when those 3 were on the court together. It will be interesting to see how much the weave is used, as that would be a nice set up for a guy with Selby's skills. Definitely like that every fourth or fifth time down the floor.
4. Best shooter at the "3": The 3 spot is the prime spot for the best three point shooter in Self's base offense .. meaning positioning on the floor. It provides the best opportunity to step into the shot. Usually off the wing. It is a spot where EJ could excel, assuming his three point shooting is not a mirage. He has the look of a 40% guy, which is good. But with Reed potentially at that spot, our offense will be even better than when he was playing at the 2 (again, positioning on the floor). Reed is better than EJ right now, and Selby will make Reed better. Reed will be in a spot where the 3 opens up much easier, and where our base offense creates open threes. It will be interesting to see how Reed performs over the next handful of games. EJ has a diverse package of skills that may be second only to Selby on this team .. just needs time on the floor, and patience.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

1. Might be EJ vs. Releford: I am hopeful that we'll see more of Releford over the next three games, and some patience with him. Great three game stretch to give him some minutes. But what is interesting is that the two guys many have been asking to see more time on the floor .. EJ and Releford .. may actually be in competition for the same minutes now. But I think one will gain a much bigger share of time. Maybe not both.
  2. Don't get too excited: I wonder if this start for EJ is just throwing him a bone to try to keep him happy, provide inspiration, etc. Good opportunity. But until I see EJ on the court for 18-20, or more, and certain other minutes shrink below his, I'm not going to be that excited. He needs to play under control, but be conservatively aggressive, if that makes sense.
  3. One week is too long to wait between games.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

EJ and Releford made STRONG claims to more playing time. Releford was a beast on 'D'.