Originally published December 27, 2010 at 12:00a.m., updated December 27, 2010 at 05:20p.m.

Update: KU basketball’s Tyshawn Taylor still stuck in New Jersey on Monday

A Delta plane is seen at Newark Liberty International Airport during a snow storm Dec. 26, 2010, in Newark, N.J. Airlines are working to rebook stranded passengers and possibly add flights after a winter storm on the East Coast caused thousands of flight cancellations and left countless passengers stranded. Kansas University's Tyshawn Taylor was among the Jersey travelers snowbound Sunday.

photo

Julio Cortez/AP Photo

5:20 p.m. update

Tyshawn Taylor remained stranded in New Jersey for another day on Monday. Snow shut down the Newark, N.J., airport.

KU coach Bill Self said Taylor would be able to fly out at about 8 a.m. on Tuesday, in time for a pair of practices on Tuesday.

Original story

A massive snowstorm that slammed into the East Coast on Sunday has delayed one Kansas University basketball player’s return from three-day Christmas vacation.

“Tyshawn could not get out today. All the flights were canceled,” KU coach Bill Self said Sunday night, referring to Hoboken, N.J., junior guard Tyshawn Taylor.

“Hopefully he can get out tomorrow. It’s snowing so hard they don’t even know if they can drive to the airport,” Self added of Taylor, stuck in Jersey because of a blizzard that’s expected to dump up to 20 inches in New York/New Jersey by this morning.

Five other Jayhawks from the East were able to flee the wintry weather in time for Sunday night’s practice in Allen Fieldhouse.

Twins Marcus and Markieff Morris flew out of Philadelphia early Sunday, as did Josh Selby from Baltimore and Thomas Robinson from Washington, D.C.

And freshman walk-on Niko Roberts, who hails from Huntington, N.Y., boarded a flight just before snow began piling up and the wind began gusting up to 50 mph.

“If Norm (Roberts, former KU assistant) had gotten Niko to the airport 35 to 40 minutes later, he (Niko) wouldn’t have been able to take off,” Self said. “Some of the guys were fortunate enough to have early-morning flights.

“The twins’ flight was 8 a.m. They were able to get out, same with Josh and Thomas. Tyshawn’s flight was a little later — at 10 or 11, I believe.”

The snowstorm in Philly forced the NFL to move the Vikings at Eagles game from Sunday night until Tuesday.

Self, who celebrated Christmas in Oklahoma with his wife and two children, had no problems making the round-trip drive to the Sooner State.

The Midwesterner knows all about havoc that’s caused by snow.

“It’s circumstances you are unable to control. You can’t control Mother Nature,” Self said. “The biggest thing is (that) Tyshawn gets back safely.”

As far as KU’s first practice since the Cal game, Self said: “It’s just what you’d think it would be. The attitude was great, but we definitely need to run off some turkey and dressing.”

The Jayhawks, who headed to their hometowns after a 78-63 victory over California on Wednesday night in Berkeley, will meet Texas-Arlington at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Little practices: KU senior Mario Little practiced Sunday for the first time since his Dec. 16 arrest on charges of battery, criminal damage and criminal trespassing.

Self said that, at this time, Little remains suspended from playing in games.

“He’s practicing with us. I had him take some time off. He did that, went home to Chicago to spend a few extra days with family,” Self said, adding, “He’s still part of the team. I don’t have any game plan (as far as if/when Little will play in games) as of now.”

What’s next?: Wednesday’s game marks the start of a three-game homestand for the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks (11-0). KU will play host to Miami of Ohio at 5 p.m. Sunday and UMKC at 7 p.m., Jan. 5.

UT-Arlington (5-5) fell to Texas Tech, 73-56, Wednesday in Lubbock. The Mavericks, who play in the Southland Conference, also have lost to Oregon State, North Texas, Samford and Louisiana Tech, with victories over Texas Lutheran, UT Tyler, Houston Baptist, Hardin-Simmons and St. Edward’s.

Miami of Ohio of the Mid-American Conference is off to a 5-7 start entering Thursday’s game at Belmont. The Redhawks have defeated Xavier, Towson, IUPUI, Saginaw Valley State and Troy and lost to Duke, Ohio State, Dayton, Cincinnati, Green Bay, San Diego State and Wright State.

UMKC of the Summit League is off to a 7-5 start entering home games this week against North Dakota State and South Dakota State. The Kangaroos have defeated Truman State, Central Arkansas, SE Missouri State, SIU-Edwardsville, Utah Valley, North Dakota and Houston Baptist and lost to Wichita State, Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, Oakland, Idaho State and most recently Kansas State, 80-64.

KU will conclude the nonconference schedule on Jan. 9 at (10-2) Michigan.

Comments

not_important 3 years, 9 months ago

I believe UMKC's conference is now called the Summit League.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like we've got a few cupcakes on the agenda.

Might be a great time to get Withey some reps.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

"Getting Back to the Hunt with Three Cupcakes for Tune-Ups"

~kenpom's got us number three and only two teams--UK and Georgetown in the top ten have tougher strength of schedule ratings, and they are both ranked below KU. End the hand wringing about KU's schedule.

~Where are they now?

Arizona is ranked 14 and rising.

KSU is down at 38 and has lost its only two seniors--Pullen for three games and Kelly indefinitely. How far down is bottom for KSU? How do you spell l-a-t-r-i-n-e?

~Okie Baller Report:

Bill Self, KU 11-0 Buzz Williams, Marquette, 9-3 Janks, Illinois State 8-3 Tim Floyd, UTEP 9-3 Unibrow UNLV 11-2 Dana Altman Oregon 7-5 Scott Sutton ORU 5-8 Billy Gillispie DNC Norm Roberts DNC Eddie Sutton DNC

~Cheapest Assistant Coach: Sean Sutton hired as an unpaid adviser to brother Scott Sutton at ORU.

~Miscellaneous KUers:

Rex Walters USF 5-8 Roy Williams Baja KU 8-4

~Most under recognized teams in the country:

UCF 11-0 (Conference USA) San Diego State 14-0 (Mt. West) BYU 12-1 (Mt. West) Minnesota 11-1 (Big Ten)

~Best XTReme Muscle Team: (Tie) Ohio State and Pitt

~Best XTReme Cheap Shotting Team: Duke

~Best news: Mario is back practicing. Maybe the students involved will find it in their hearts to forgive him and maybe charges will be reduced, or dropped, since he is one of them, and there but for the grace of god (and the police) go they. Maybe if he has no priors, a judge will be lenient. Maybe he will play again. A lot of maybes, but as Coach Self told the 2008 ring team...ya gotta believe.

~Biggest Mystery: Jeff Withey not playing a second vs. Cal

~Best Freshman in the Country: Josh Selby

Ian Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

Aside from a few things, I agree with much of your post. Those few things with which I disagree:

--Okay, I don't disagree with this, but I'm assuming when you say "Arizona is ranked 14 and rising", you're referring to their kenpom ranking? Because I'm quite certain neither poll (AP and ESPN) has them anywhere near the Top 25. In fact, they didn't even receive any votes in the Coaches Poll. With that said, I would have to say they are under recognized more so than any of the four teams you listed.

--Your assessment that BYU is under recognized. Perhaps it's because of the popularity of Jimmer Fredette, but I don't exactly see them as flying under the radar. I believe their #23 ranking is pretty accurate, and ESPN and the other talking heads seem to mention them quite often, especially for a Mountain West team. Now, I would certainly say the Mountain West is under recognized. They have some really solid teams, including BYU and SDSU. Somewhat off topic, but I thought I'd point it out; UCLA, whom we defeated (albeit by 1 point on a controversial call), handed BYU it's only loss.

--Your assessment that Minnesota is under recognized. You may be correct about this, but in my mind, they are not under recognized. The reason I say you may be correct is that I probably pay closer attention to the Golden Gophers than the average fan from this area. (My best friend is a U of M alum, so I've been visiting Minneapolis 2-3 times per year for the last 5 years, so I tend to follow both their basketball and football programs.) Back to basketball. I think their ranking (#16/17) is pretty accurate. They haven't really played anybody, their only loss is to a below average Virginia team, and their best win is over... North Carolina? West Virginia? I'm not impressed with either of those teams. Even your boy KenPom has them at #55.

Ian Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

--Your proclamation that Josh Selby is the "Best Freshman in the Country." First and foremost, I love Josh Selby. He's quickly becoming my favorite Jayhawk (and gaining way on my favorite Jayhawks of all time list), and he's only played in two games, and he could quite possibly be one and done. He is very, very good. However, at this juncture in the season, I would have to go with Jared Sullinger as Best Freshman (this would have gone to Kyrie Irving if wasn't injured for possibly the entire season.) Sullinger is a beast and he's capable of putting up Michael Beasley/Blake Griffin/Kevin Durant type numbers as we saw in games against IUPUI (40 pts/13 rebs) and South Carolina (30 pts/19 rebs). With that said, by seasons end, Josh Selby could very well be the best freshman in the country, but I think we need to see a few more games before we make such a statement.

I don't post here too often, but I visit this site religiously (at least five times a day), so I'm well aware of the pro-jaybate vs. anti-jaybate argument. Obviously one is either a jaybate fan or a jaybate hater--there is no middle ground. So, I thought I would state here that I am a big fan of your comments. They are very insightful and you're obviously extremely knowledgeable on the subject of basketball.

I just noticed this, so I thought I should address this issue. You said the "Biggest Mystery" was Jeff Withey not playing at all against Cal. That is odd that he didn't play at all. However, I heard last season from a reliable source that Withey was having difficulty just remembering plays. (I did not hear this from Brady, with whom I have been friends for nearly 17 years, but from a mutual friend who is well acquainted with many of the other players.) With that said, that probably explains why he has often looked so lost at both ends of the court.

oldalum 3 years, 9 months ago

I had thought Jeff might get to play at the end of the game, but when I saw how rough it was I stopped expecting him to play. He is still pretty tentative, and I couldn't see him dealing with all that hitting, etc. under the basket.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 9 months ago

Although I hate to say it, you'd have to throw UKs T. Jones in there for best frosh. He's averaging 18 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2 bpg, and 1.4 spg on 43 % shooting and 33% from downtown. Sullinger's shooting a lot better, but Jones shoots from the outside much more than Sullinger, and hes a better defender.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 9 months ago

Forgot to say those guys are pretty good, but Selby would get my vote.

Ian Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

You're absolutely right, cap10. I completely forgot about Terrance Jones (I think I've grown accustomed to simply ignoring any player that decides to join forces with that sleazeball Calipari.) However, I must admit, T. Jones is an absolute baller, there's no denying it. I beliebe either he or Sullinger is the best freshman at the moment, but I'm confident that Selby will continue to amaze us as the season continues, and by the end, he will be the top frosh.

kufankam 3 years, 9 months ago

when you say under recognized, are you meaning from the fan's perspective? SDSU is ranked #7 in both the major polls. i hate the whole "bracketology" stuff, but that would make them a low 2 or very high 3 seed. i would say that they are getting plenty of recognition. now, as far as fans, they may not be giving them much attention, but the national media certainly is not sleeping on the aztecs.

i agree 100% that josh is the best freshman in america. what impresses me the most about him is his ability to let the game come to him while at the same time playing very aggressively. i hope that he keeps playing with that same poise. you have to think he will continue to get better as the game slows down for him. however, the competition and caliber of games will rise as well. i think he will do great and am excited to see it play out!

Ed Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

Where have you been? Good to hear your analysis again!

kesmithstl1 3 years, 9 months ago

mystery solved! Withey is too soft for a game like Cal/KU!

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Interstate 95 on the East Coast connects DC to Baltimore to Philadelphia to New York. Thomas Robinson, Josh Selby, Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, and Tyshawn Taylor are all on this route (they could be the starting five as they represent our best players collectively). Write President Obama and petition him for an executive order to keep this highway clear during the winter and all airports along its route.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Awesome. Let's make that stick.

ParisHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree, that name is dynamite, hawk!

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean Self was listening to the collective works of Boyz II men, Another Bad Creation and Bell Biv DEvoe when scouting this area ?

yovoy 3 years, 9 months ago

...or maybe The Roots and E.U.? Okay, maybe just The Roots. Maybe he was listening to Tech N9ne and Color Me Badd when he got the OKC/KC guys (D-train and Rush) to join the team. Whatever it takes. ABC is from the ATL BTW (I know they were in the 'Mo-town Philly' lyric, but they're from the ATL AFAIK).

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

OK... SO ABC was the WORST to come out of Atlanta's music scene.... too bad....

This also explains why we never get florida kids in basketball... I don't see Bill Rolling up blasting LFO or Limp Bizkit.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

Miami's record might not be that good but did you look at who they've played? Holy cow what a murderous schedule! And they have a win over Xavier, so how bad can they be? I'm not sure they deserve to be included in the "cupcake" category.

As for the others ... well, it's a good thing that UMKC has a win over Truman State because if they had played Truman, well that might have been a whole different story.

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Actorman, you're right. How many teams have ever (underline ever) had to play the top three ranked teams and the number 7 ranked team in their first 13 games of a season? And, all of them unbeaten.Talk about murderer's row. You can't plan it that way. Who would? For those keeping tabs, it may be a little bit of a berometer to compare KU to each of the other unbeatens.

nicka 3 years, 9 months ago

What's so mysterious about withey not playing? He plays like a walk-on, so he should play with the walk-ons.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 9 months ago

I hear that Withey has a poster of Matt Kleinmann in his room.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Hilarious! Funny is up with the roosters!!!

lance1jhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah his Kleinmann poster is right next to his Eric Chennowith signed poster.

RockChalk26 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree. I don't know why everyone is surprised by his lack of time on the court. He looks lost out on the floor.

foghawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I hate to say it, and I would love to see him improve, but we have taken to calling him "Chenno-Withy"

kushaw 3 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate: Don't forget about these teams

~Most under recognized teams in the country:

Vanderbilt

Washington State

St. Mary's

Washington

Utah State

Cincy-It's amazing that their undefeated and yet nobody is talking about them. Probably waiting for the Big East slate to kick in.

Notre Dame

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Agrees: Washington State, St. Mary's (always), Washington

Disagrees: ND

Haven't seen yet: The Dores, UCInn and Utah State.

I think every team gets overlooked in the XTReme TV era, unless they have an OAD, or some high performing upper classman, or play like criminals.

TV/internet/print are trained to promote individuals, not teams. You've got to have a star to get noticed.

I have been amazed at how much more they are reporting on KU now that Selby is on the floor.

They need simple angles, again and again. Look at the highlights they run about each half. Dunk, trey, dunk, trey, trey, trey, dunk, etc. They don't even try to use pictures to tell how the game went.

Ah, but one should not complain too much, since the games are on and one can watch and judge for one's self. And there are outfits like kenpom out their grinding the numbers.

AsadZ 3 years, 9 months ago

Its still snowing hard and the winds are bad on the east coast. Hope TT can make it to Lawrence safely.

Machawk 3 years, 9 months ago

My comments are not based on any knowledge of travel arrangements or extenuating circumstances, and thus are unfair and baseless. However, why doesn't it surprise me that TT is the only one of the six players from the East that cannot make it back in time for a practice that has been scheduled since before the break?

There seems to be a parallel between valuing the ball ( careless, unnecessary turnovers & charging calls) and not being proactive enough to fly out ahead of storm that has been predicted for days. TT's recent reversion back to his out of control style, if not corrected, will most certainly cost us some close games that we should not have lost. On the other hand, Josh Selby's solid judgement with the ball and his unselfishness when penetrating the paint is such a welcome contrast. His maturity and leadership for a freshman is the part of his game I most appreciate.

Rock Chalk

AsadZ 3 years, 9 months ago

They had flights booked weeks in advance. Its almost impossible to change the flights under such a severe storm. All NY/NJ airports have been pretty much closed since yesterday. You are drawing an absolutely ridiculous comparison/analogy. You must not like him. Give TT a break.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

Way too much analysis on that.

I'm sure Bill Self saw everyone's flight plan for the week, and approved the time to come back.

Of course if you are suggesting that Tyshawn was able to call down a RECORD snowstorm so he could spend one extra day in NY, I might stand here corrected. However, I would lean towards nobody knew when the plane tickets were purchased that a 25-30 inch snowstorm with 50 mph wind gusts would come in.

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor can make it snow, but cannot stay in front of a cross over dribble. Nice. :)

brooksmd 3 years, 9 months ago

And even if you do realize the severity of an approaching storm, try changing reservations over Christmas. It ain't gonna happen.

Greg Lux 3 years, 9 months ago

and soon .. but safety first.

Rock Chalk

FreddyinLA 3 years, 9 months ago

Wonder how practice went sans TT? Best hope of advancing farthest in the only tourney that matters is Selby has the ball in his hands 80% of the time when on offense. Jonny C. at Kontucky gave the ball to Wall last year. So far, Selby is a much better shooter than Wall, and can attack the rim in the same way. Will HCBS figure it out?

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 9 months ago

So if HCBS "figures it out" and gives the ball to Selby, it will be thanks to FreddyinLA. Golly, we are lucky to have such insightful posters helping to ensure our coaching staff runs the team correctly.

tis4tim 3 years, 9 months ago

I always find it interesting that when everything is gridlocked due to snow, the photojournalists somehow find reliable transportation to wherever it is they need to be (see airport photo above).

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

Might be a still photo captured by a security cam or one taken by a stranded traveler...

cg1029 3 years, 9 months ago

Tis4tim See there is this radical new technology that you probably have never heard of called the internet... When you combine it with another new gadget called a digital camera you can have a picture taken from one of the hundreds of cameras that are now at airports and upload it to the AP and use it for all of the news stories across the world.

tis4tim 3 years, 9 months ago

cg1029,

With your supreme intellect and your obviously vast understanding of technology and the world at large, I'm amazed that you have so much difficulty with the concept of tone - especially in such an excruciatingly remedial post as the one I submitted.

Please allow this intellectually inferior simpleton to suggest typing these keywords into a Google search: "tongue" "in" and "cheek".

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

though that recommendation might lead you to things you never would want to see.....

dynamitehawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Being stuck (in snow especially) in Hoboken NJ would suck -Point Plankn'

Safe travel home, Tyshawn.

gchawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Ditto on both parts. Hope you get back to Lawrence soon and safe Tyshawn.

Theutus 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm all for some healthy debate... ie: ___ should see a few less minutes and give them to _...

You however are pretty much making it personal.. I can only imagine that you have some things in your life that just aren't going well, and you are using Brady as an outlet for that anger/frustration...

I hope that stuff works out for you, but until then maybe you could come to this same realization and cut this kid some slack... Brady may not be a 30+ minute player in a lot of people's minds, but wishing he wouldn't show at the games? That's just not something any Jayhawk fan should wish on any of our players...

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

How would Brady take Tyshawn's place? They both start. Do you even pay attention to what you post? I'm starting to agree with that earlier post.... Did Brady nail your girl and this is the only way you can get even? Or is Nebraska that boring, you have nothing better to do?

gchawk 3 years, 9 months ago

You are not only exhibiting your lack knowledge of basketball, but, also how much of a jackazz you are. Obviously you've never played this game or you'd realize how much work and effort all of our players devote themselves to in order to play at this level. Regardless if you like a player or not they still deserve our respect. Lighten up Francis.

Ian Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

Dude, you sound more and more pathetic with each and every post. In addition to being a complete d-bag, you're obviously delusional, and more than likely, a compulsive liar. Regardless of your opinion, Brady is a solid ballplayer, and you might as well just accept the fact that he's going to get his minutes--I think Self knows his team a little better than you. Also, your comments have been filled with general hatred towards Brady for the last month or so--they are obviously personal and go beyond basketball. You're worse than a KSU fan and a Mizzou fan combined. I'm truly embarrassed for you.

gchawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Not that you deserve an explanation, but played both basketball and baseball in college back in the 70's. I hope you get the help you so desperately need.

Steve Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

you are a door knob. Brady isn't the most athletic or the most gifted on the team, but we are better when he is playing than when he is not. He is solid, glue and makes other players better, I do recall the one hilarious FT clank, not sure about that anomaly. Yet few other hicupps.

some of you are projecting, as we all know in March we will run up against a hot Brandon Rush, Durrant, Stephon, X, or Carmelo type on some team and yes we will have trouble stopping them, so deal with it. The problem in March dance isn't that we don't have qualified bodies to run at the hot shot one game wonders it is the CBS timeouts last 12 minutes so opponents don't get winded. Hence the deep bench & combination of Brady, TT, Reed, Selby, Releford, their freshness gets neutralized somewhat.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 9 months ago

Assuming everyone else gets back, it'd be interesting to see KU play UT-Arlington without the 1-95 five. How would we do?

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

KU 75-60. Let our JV start just for fun anyway.

PickleFuzz 3 years, 9 months ago

I sure hope that name sticks! "1-95 5" It works

Steve Gantz 3 years, 9 months ago

Me too, hope they change it to I-95 5 however!

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

"Get back soon Tyshawn we don't want Brady to take your place."

I assume by "we" you mean the royal we, since most of us are not as big a doofus as you are?

Ian Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

Exactly, actorman. The line that pissed me off was "It would do us all a favor if Brady couldn't get to the game on Wednesday." No matter the subject of the article, he has found a way to bash Brady in each one of his posts for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I called him out on it in the "Selby Kansas' Wild Child" article, and he never responded. I believe he either has some personal vendetta against Brady, or he's just a really, really big tool.... or both. Either way, it's really getting old. I don't think I've seen any Jayhawk get hated on more than Brady does. I can understand if people would rather see someone else getting some of his minutes, or all of his minutes for that matter, but the things Jayhawkinnebr (and a few others out there) have posted about Brady are simply uncalled for.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 9 months ago

Taking cheap shots at Jayhawk athletes – whether it's Brady or TT, Withey or whoever the victim of the day is – is simply a childish way of BEGGING for a response. And it often works. Haters pile on while others take offense. Regular readers here know what reasonable analysis and criticism is, and respect intelligent posts even when disagreeing about the details. Worthless cheap shots are equally obvious. Cheap-shot posters (and the haters who support them) rarely have anything of value to offer, and are best ignored.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 9 months ago

TT - i just finished snow blowing my driveway over here (for the third time since yesterday at 4pm) in Bergen County. Come on over and we can hang in my basement bar, aka "The Hawks Nest".

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn---Traveling during the Winter is always a concern. Be safe, get back safe----we need you in a Jayhawk uniform, even if it is a red uniform.

BTW, one of our local TV reporters (Wichita, KS) wanted to fly to NYC to cover the K-State game but can't---all flights are canceled. He is hoping to fly in there by Thursday morning. Must be a heck of a storm!

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

"crimson", small correction.

Just so you know our colors are crimson and blue....not red.

HawkBBall 3 years, 9 months ago

TT goes 1 for 8 with 5 TO's. No fights; no arrests; no Facebook. Could it be the classes are distracting him?

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

"you are a door knob."

Priceless! Best line of the holiday season!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawkinnebr: Some random observations and questions inspired by your posts as I'm a touch bored this evening: 1. Now, not baggin' on your playing experience, but when they have fish the ball out of the peach basket with metal rod, and re-jump after each made basket, I'm not sure your experience makes you an absolute authority on the current game. Just a thought. 2. See Theutus' post. 3. I've been wondering, was it hard to ride those bikes with the big wheel in front? 4. I was curious, in your grade school experience, did you hedge at the top of the key; and what strategy did you employ against entry passes to short corner? 5. Grammar counts .. no grammar police, but repeated violations certainly call in to question one's KU education. Horrific might be one way to look at it; entertaining another. Easier reading braille. 6. Viking76 is right on .. no cheap shots needed against guys that bleed crimson and blue, and are willing to leave some of it on the court. Think about that. 7. Strategic name calling is widely accepted. However, a shotgun approach is frowned upon. I would suggest spreading out the "punk", "knothead", and "a$$" among various posts, and do it by inference or third person .. e.g., "You know, some knotheads think ..." More effective .. juvenile .. but more effective. Extra points awarded for the use of "$" as opposed to simply typing the curse word. 8. More curiosity - During your college days, did the basketball still have laces, and if so, tell me what you used them for; also, was Chuck Taylor really a player, or just a guy they named shoes after; finally, could two bits really get you a movie ticket, some cracker jack, and a sodie pop .. and what were you doing with Gertrude in the back seat of that Buick? 9. Drivers in Lincoln can't seem to go even the speed limit, do you know why? 10. More curiosity, where were your seats at Hoch and how did they keep track of your Williams' fund points? 11. Last item of curiosity .. and I'll stop .. when we beat the Topeka YMCA, did the Y score their 6 points the traditional way, or by hitting a couple of 3's? 12. Can't wait 'till Wednesday .....

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: ESPN inner sanctum

Slug: Wikibateleaks.com receives ESPN internal memo ridiculing slate of televised games this week on ESPN

jns stringers inside jns report that Wikibateleaks.com, a sister portal to jns, will publish a leaked internal memo from ESPN in which ESPN broadcasters are posed in black bustiers with fishnet nylons and lavender Nikes. The memo reads as follows:

Tune in for Tune-Up Mismatch Week on ESPN!!!!

Cupcake Monday's Mammoth vs. Mouse Mismatches Are...

Ohio State vs. Tennessee Martin Missouri vs. Northern Illinois Louisville vs. Morgan State

Then Minor Major Mismatch Tueday's Pits...

UK vs. Coppin State

But Tune-Up Mismatch Week Really Gets Rolling with...

Powder Puff Wednesday When Perennial Powers Meet the Super Hapless...

KU vs. Texas Arlington Duke vs. UNCG

The Duke-UNCG mismatch should be an extraordinary mismatch coming, as it does, on the heels of Duke's last non-game, their December 20th mega-mismatch with Elon Phoenix.

Tune in and Watch the Mismatches. Watch the Haves Crush the Have Nots. Its college basketball, baby!

jns stringers report that the employees that circulated the memo have already been suspended without pay and sent to a corporate re-education camp on a remote island off Mexico's Pacific Coast called Isla Lo Siento that is also known as Devil's Island, Inc., aka Corporate Gitmo, aka Purgatory for Non Compliant Broadcasters.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 9 months ago

Really weird storm...drifts as high as 8' but grass clearly visible in other places (and no..not at the bottom of my bong)..

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Between Jaybate and jhawk7782, I don't know who to laugh at the most. Needed a little light hearted humor after the heated exchanges over Brady above. So, Jaybate, the truth comes out. You've had a bunch of jns staffers running around, assisting you all along. Those poor "busted" espn broadcasters didn't stand a chance, You think your staffers can find out where we can pick up our own lavender Nikes? Or perhaps some of that grass to which jhawk7782 was referring.

Hope all the snow doesn't move to the Midwest and postpone any of our games. KU B- Ball addicts like us would have a hard time surviving. Safe and timely return, TT.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Laughter can be the difference between living and crying.