Monday, December 27, 2010

Court date for KU basketball player Mario Little moved to May

The municipal court date for Kansas University senior basketball player Mario Little has been delayed from Jan. 5 to May 19 after his attorney recently entered an appearance for him.

Little, 22, who has been suspended from playing in games by coach Bill Self, faces four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing, all misdemeanors.

He was arrested early on Dec. 15 after an incident in the 1400 block of Ohio Street, and police accuse him of committing battery against four people, including pushing a 22-year-old Lawrence woman, who police identified as his girlfriend, into a sink. Police said no one was taken to the hospital as a result of the incident.

Little, a red-shirt senior from Chicago, had initially posted bond and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court in January. He also apologized in a statement released to the media Dec. 15.

City prosecutor Jerry Little said Monday that Lawrence attorney Al Lopes — who played basketball for KU from 1964 to 1966 — had entered the appearance, which as standard practice prompted the clerk’s office to enter a not-guilty plea and schedule a new trial setting date.

Jerry Little said Monday he had not yet heard from Lopes but that between now and the May 19 court date the defense could either apply for diversion, set the case for a trial or attempt to work out a plea agreement.

Comments

packywacky88 3 years, 3 months ago

From what I've see and heard, Mario is no Giles or Gidden. Let Bill do what Bill does and support him. In Bill we trust. It is the smart thing to do.

packywacky88 3 years, 3 months ago

Who hasn't pushed a girlfriend into a sink at one time or another??? That shouldn't be called battery. I like the idea of announcers mentioning the 4 counts of battery every time he enters the game. Sounds intimidating and conveys a certain measure of toughness....even though it was just a girl.

kennethst 3 years, 3 months ago

Theutus and ChicagoHawk are right......I certainly would not react well in this situation.....neither would any of you. I'm not saying he was right.....but still. Men will be men.

Khublai_Juan 3 years, 3 months ago

The difference between this situation and the one involving LaceDarius Dunn at Baylor is very interesting. Mario pushed his girlfriend into a sink and he's a "woman beater" and it's one of the most popular articles of the year. Dunn broke his girlfriend's jaw on both sides (they had to put in titanium plates) and the story only got 17 comments and they weren't near as vitriolic as the ones posted about Mario. I'm not sure if Dunn even missed any games for this or if he just got a short break from class and practice.

jhawkr 3 years, 3 months ago

It is funny (hmm let's say SAD) how we hold our revered athletes to a lower standard ............. Says a lot for our society !

jchief40 3 years, 3 months ago

If I walked in and caught my girl cheating on me I admit I too might do the same thing.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 3 months ago

I am hoping all KU athletes and other schools take notice the lesson to be learned from this situation.

Leave the damn jersey chasers alone on an emotional level. They ain't worth it.

ChicagoJHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The charges make this whole things seem way worse than it really was. What would the rest of you do if you found your girlfriend with another guy at 2 or 3 in the morning?? I'm sure you would all be cool, calm and collected, and just walk out of there like nothing happened. I mean, that's the impression that all you people seem to give, that you're a bunch of saints that never made a mistake, especially when you were in college.

This could have ended up a lot worse than it was. If you want to suspend the guy for a few games, fine, but don't kick the guy off the team. He's busted his a$$ for the last 2-3 years and does not deserve to kicked off for something like this.

hayjawk 3 years, 3 months ago

It is odd that the hearing is set so far into the future. Jerry Little said that Mario can apply for a diversion (a likely resolve unless he is inoocent and wants his day in Court)), which will result in the charges being dismissed if Mario will do community service, stay out of future trouble and pay a diversion fee. Thus no criminal conviction record.

This is the same legal treatment ANYONE without prior arrests of a similar nature can expect for misdemeanor charges. Mario is not getting preferential treatment by the Municipal Court.

Coach Self publicly stated that Mario is a good person. That is good enough for me as Coach knows better than anyone. If Coach thinks he deserves another chance, so be it. Keep in mind that Coach has in the past sent others packing when he felt that they were not of sound character.

William Blake 3 years, 3 months ago

The only way Mario will return is if he works out a plea bargain... most likely that would include community service. Since the nature of his crime touches a public opinion button it will take some political maneuvering to bring him back. It's like a minor version of a Michael Vick situation.

If I was Mario.... I'd make a long public apology to the victims and find some kind of public service related to his crime as a plea bargain. The apology has to be real... anything less and I doubt we see Mario back in games, nor should we.

cobweb 3 years, 3 months ago

Sickening comments from almost everybody. Do effing basketball games mean that much in tyour shallow lives? Maybe your daughters will be abused someday.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 3 months ago

Just to be accurate in his media release he only apologized to his teammates and nobody else. I found that very odd. Before the end of this he needs to come full clean and be contrite to the entire Jayhawk nation. From all accounts Mario is a great guy. Whatever Self feels is appropriate I am in agreement.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

the court date has been moved down the calendar four months...that tells you something right there.

something will be worked out, and he'll be back on the team fairly soon. it's just that simple.

gongs4ku 3 years, 3 months ago

Interesting fan reactions in the comments. I don't think he should be thrown out of school, but I also don't think he should be allowed to play, after hearing the descriptions of his behavior.

I guess different people have different moral standards. I'll be ticked off if I see him in a KU jersey again.

Joe Ross 3 years, 3 months ago

Okay, I'll say it if no one else will.

So far, the occurrences are allegations, or at least speaking legalistically. Here's the rub. Mario has already publicly acknowledged wrongdoing. When you have an admission of guilt then no longer can one be judged innocent. Yet there is room for fairness. A mistake doesn't mean the end of the world and a coach should not levy the stiffest penalty possible from the team standpoint. And yet a message HAS to be sent that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Based on what the coach knows, I think it's fair and equitable that the team give a consequence of suspension for part of the season. Whatever is fair. 5 games. 7 games. Whatever, based on coaches discretion. But to say at this point, "Okay, Mario...lace em up cause the trial ain't til May" is short-sighted. Maybe even stupid.

newtown 3 years, 3 months ago

sweeeeepp sweeeeeep sweeeeeep, wink wink wink.....

the sad history of ku continues.....

fansincewilt 3 years, 3 months ago

Mario did not use good judgment. But, he has offered his regrets and has apparently offered complete compliance in the matter. He has already sat out several games and I doubt the incident is going to amount to much by the time it is said and done. Only Coach Self can determine if there is sorrow and lessons learned from the action. I personally hope to see Little back in a Jayhawk uniform. I am all for consequences for actions but also restoration. Sometimes a slap on the hand is all that is necessary. Maybe this is one of those times. I really hope so. However, Little's life is what is important. I hope he visits Simien and gets some good advice.

moaf 3 years, 3 months ago

I think he should be allowed to play. Court date in May, why keep him out, being a senior, then? doesnt make sense to me. aaaand yeah, we need as many men as we can get if we wanted to go to Houston.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

I want him allowed to play, but the tough question Self and KU face is this: are they ready to hear the ESPN announcer say, "Mario Little is entering the game for Marcus Morris.He is a 6'7" senior from Chicago with four counts of battery on him."

kennethst 3 years, 3 months ago

Mario Little seems like a very nice young man in his interviews and the way he relates to his teamates. He obviously made a big mistake.

If he was a constant troublemaker.....I would say this incident should have him dismissed from the team. But he isn't.....and even took a redshirt for KU.

I say bring him back. A good kid like this deserves another chance.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

Really glad that the charges are misdemeanors but pffff! is not the right reaction and I surely hope Mario doesn't think so either. There was a high probability that things could have gone a lot worse. No I wasn't there but I've heard from many sources that domestic disputes can change from minor to much more serious in a matter of minutes.

Now it's up to you Mario. Do the right things, say the right things and I believe HCBS will give you your chance.

You sacrificed a lot last year and you deserve another chance imo.

And I'd like to think Lawrence and Douglas CO take these charges more seriously than what's been stated here, although I think a lot of sarcasm was the basis.

eastTXjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

i'm anticipating...wait for it....wait for it....mario little is fun (you know it's coming)

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Being a senior, and with the court date in May, either Mario will be allowed to play immediately or not allowed to play the rest of the season. None of the 9 game suspensions, etc. need to be considered at this point. KU, HCBS or any entity connected shouldn't have the right to base a suspension on anything other than the court's ruling. To pass judgement now would only be an emotional reaction.

Let him play and let the legal system work!

Don't let him play and send a message.

Janet Scott 3 years, 3 months ago

Mario, here's the deal, my man .....you play a key role in KU winning the National Championship in April, and there will be no trial in May (or any other action, for that matter). Guaranteed. Lace'm up and get ready to rumble!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Pfffft! Misdemeanors! Mario get ready to play.