Friday, December 24, 2010

California love: KU guard Reed amazed by fans on road

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed and Cal guard Alan Crabbe eye a loose ball during the first half, Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, California.

A fired-up Tyrel Reed pointed into the stands, thumbs up, after the final horn sounded in Kansas University’s 78-63 victory over California on Wednesday in energized Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, Calif.

Considering the physical nature of the game, it seemed logical to ask the 6-foot-3, 185-pound senior what exactly he was doing.

Was he trying to communicate with the 4,000 or so KU fans on hand in the crowd of 11,250 or rub in the victory to the hostile Golden Bear supporters?

The answer of course, from the classy Kansan, was that he was thanking the KU supporters for showing up and helping the Jayhawks claim their fourth victory in as many tries against Pac-10 schools this season (Arizona, UCLA, USC, Cal).

“I mean it’s amazing. We come all the way out here to California and having that kind of following ... it’s amazing,” Reed said. “It really is. We have fans all over the country. It’s a blessing to be part of it.”

Reed — he scored a career-high 18 points and grabbed a career-best seven rebounds — wasn’t involved in any of the many incidents between the Jayhawks and Bears. He can understand why guys like Marcus Morris, Thomas Robinson and Brady Morningstar lost their cool at times, however. Morris was ejected from the game and Robinson and Morningstar received technical fouls.

“Both teams were competing hard, wanting to win right before Christmas,” said Reed. “It’s one of those things, as a team, we have to be smarter. We have to keep our cool, be mature about it.

“You want to protect your teammates as much as you can. The main thing is keep them out of situations they can get in trouble or get a dumb foul. It comes down to maturity and not put yourself in that position. As the season goes on, we’ll continue to get better than that.”

Reed’s seven rebounds surpassed his previous career high of five versus Missouri on Feb. 9, 2009. His 18 points passed the 17 he scored versus UCLA this season.

“It’s one of those things I needed to do a better job of,” Reed said of attacking the glass. “I think all our guards need to do a better job of defensive rebounding. I’m not going to get offensive rebounds,” added Reed, whose seven rebounds all were on the defensive end.

“I get back every time. It’s what we do. Balls were coming to me, nothing out of the ordinary.”

As far as his offense, Reed — he averages 10.2 points a game off 43.9 percent shooting (19 of 55 from three for 34.5 percent) — said he comes out firing every game.

“I never question my shot,” Reed said. “It’s one thing I don’t do. I keep shooting the ball. Tonight I made threes (3-for-8 treys; 6 of 11 overall), some shots in the lane. I’ll keep getting better. I won’t lose my confidence and have to step up and make them.”

The Jayhawks were pleased to notch their first true road win of the season. KU had won games on neutral courts versus Memphis, Ohio and Arizona.

“We handled it pretty well for our first road game,” Reed said. “It was one of our best wins all year. They had a great crowd. I’m proud of the guys the way they handled it.”

Freshman Josh Selby, who followed his 21-point debut with 18 in this road game, concurred.

“We needed this before our Christmas break,” Selby said. “Because we hadn’t played away. Coming in here and playing in California, just got us prepared for our conference games.”

KU coach Bill Self was asked if Selby might make his first start in KU’s next game, versus Texas-Arlington at 8 p.m., Dec. 29 in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Sure, sure,” Self said of there being a chance to start the frosh. “We don’t practice again until the 26th (when players return from a short break in their hometowns), but Josh deserves to be out there, so there’s a great chance he’ll be starting.”

Self continued about Selby: “Josh played really well. He is going to get better. We trapped the post and he didn’t give up a layup. He is starting to get it, but missed a lot of floaters he normally makes (on day he hit six of 13 shots). “He is a guy that can score when we don’t really have a good offense. He needs to be out there.”

Selby did a nice job of playing peacemaker, holding Robinson back during a second-half spat between the teams.

“I was doing what a player is supposed to do. Any time your big man gets in a situation like that, you are supposed to pull him away,” Selby said, “to make sure he keeps his composure so he can stay in the game.”

KU’s out-of-state players flew out of San Francisco or Oakland on Thursday morning. The rest of the traveling party returned home via charter after the game, pulling into Allen Fieldhouse at 7 a.m., Thursday.

Comments

Hank Cross 10 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel has really stepped up his game this year. I was critical of him at the beginning of last year, but towards the end he started to come into his own. He rebounded well last night due to his quickness and his anticaption of where the ball would come off the board.

hawk316 10 years, 9 months ago

Plus, the guy has quite a good vertical. He brings the much needed maturity that a senior needs to bring to this team.

Troy Abel 10 years, 10 months ago

".....cargo plane full of rubber dog stuff out of Hong Kong!"

kufaninmo 10 years, 10 months ago

Haha that is really funny! A tad bit homoerotic, but funny nonetheless!

HawkNVegas 10 years, 10 months ago

Hearing Rock Chalk in there arena was great!

AsadZ 10 years, 10 months ago

After the game when TV sideline reporter asked Self about Reed he said that Reed is "Solid" and that he is like a "Rock"

Kudos to the kid from Burlington KS.

Scott Black 10 years, 10 months ago

nope... it's Burlington. about 60 miles south of Topeka

aerohawk 10 years, 10 months ago

your missing the humor, tis4tim is making fun of the announcer in the game who called it burlingham.

kcglowboy 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey, I appreciated the fact that, on this one occasion, they actually tried to get it right, correcting themselves several times, before finally settling on "Burlington." 'Cuz Phog knows, they didn't get much else right during the broadcast.

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

merry christmas jayhawk fans. we certainly have a great team to be thankful for.

Mike Nicco 10 years, 10 months ago

Even though the Bay Area is home to Cal, Stanford, San Jose State, San Francisco State and St. Mary's, it is not college sports friendly. The professional teams get all the coverage. Talk radio is all profession, dictated by the callers.

Cal/Berkeley didn't have a clue what was coming Wednesday. Way to represent BayHawks.

The Meridian International Sports Cafe had a Jayhawk happy hour from 4-7 PM. Word has it they expect 50-60 people and only had two servers. Of course, hundreds showed-up and they called in 2 more servers. Good thing the fire marshal wasn't around when I arrived at 6:15. Hundreds of others tried to get in but left for other restaurants.

Haas Pavilion was surprisingly nice and a good place to watch a game. The fans around us were nice and very complementary of how fundamentally sound our basketball team is.

I think the Bears and their fans were in shock early in the game. I'm pretty sure they've never had that many fans from the other team and definitely not as loud as we were. Because most of the Jayhawks fans were sitting all in the top rows, the TV mics didn't pick up just how loud we were. The echoing of "Let's Go Jayhawks" after the Robinson/Gutierrez skirmish was deafening. The Rock Chalk Chant was loudest at the 1:50 mark. It gave me goose bumps and let loose those old feelings from being in Allen Fieldhouse. I imagine the experience mirrors like watching a game at Colorado. To their credit, Cal Fans did turn up the volume as the game unfolded.

Special props to the managers. They were working hard taking care of the players.

And a special thanks to the players. Even though they were in a hurry, they stopped and signed autographs and took pictures with the 50-60 of us waiting by the bus. Royce and Travis were the first to come out and sign autographs and take pictures. This was probably most special to my youngest son. He is 12 years old, skipped a bball tournament game of his own to be there and is now a diehard Jayhawk!! The last person on the bus, Coach Self.

From those of us who may never get back to Allen Fieldhouse, don’t ever take it for granted….

Troy Abel 10 years, 10 months ago

I live close to Lawrence and I am fortunate enough to make a few games at Allen every year, and it is still like going for the first time every time after over twenty years. I can't tell you how proud it makes me to hear stories like this, and to hear the Rock Chalk Chant through the television in other teams arenas(Oh yes, we heard you Bayhawks!). Just one more reason to count our blessing as Jayhawk Fans! RCJGCK!!!

AsadZ 10 years, 9 months ago

Eastbay, Living in the East coast I can fully relate to your experience. I had a similar memorable experience watching KU destroy Temple last year in Philly. I had an opportunity to visit Lawrence last year but too bad it was in the off season. I decided to go to AFH. It was completely empty. I sat there for about 15 minutes and just reflected. It was still a special moment.

Mike Nicco 10 years, 10 months ago

Forgot to thank Markieff for giving us some love at the end of the game. Glad to know you heard and appreciated us.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Dear Santa,

Here is KU Nations Christmas List for this year:

1] Just have Josh keep being Josh [his Mom will take care of any other corrections :)] 2] Help Brady find his shot on offense and find his man on defense. 3] Tyrel to continue the true Jayhawk tradition of clean, hard-nosed bball. 4] For Marcus to stay another year. 5] For Markieff to have a season whereby everyone wonders if he will stay another year. 6] Tyshawn to realize that Josh is his teammate and not his competitor. 7] For TRob to keep the passion, tone down the playground. 8] For Travis to let the game come to him and grab it by the throat. 9] For Elijah to keep pushing and improving, sometimes less is more. 10] For Jeff, strength, quickness, confidence and remember what you can do. 11] For Mario, a second chance. 12] For Royce..learn, learn, learn. 13] For Conner, a chance to play next year 14] For Jordan, Niko and Justin, lots of blowouts so they can play. 15] For Coach Bill a couple more NC banners in Allen. 16] For Coach Dooley..learning to smile and his own team some day. 17] For Coach Townsend, keep on recruitin' [and stay away from cute girls on jets] 18] For Coach Danny, some day the Head Coaches Office in Allen Fieldhouse.

Thank you Santa and you be careful tonight. Oh yes, I have been a good boy this year [well, almost all year except when I roll down the window and spit everytime I drive through Columbia, Misery!!]

kcglowboy 10 years, 9 months ago

May I add one personal item to your KU Nation Christmas List? For Brady to get the respect he deserves from KU Nation (or, at least, for Brady bashers to lose their voice)? For any Kansan who's proud to be a Kansan, we've got to appreciate when any local kid who grew up wanting to be a Jayhawk not only makes the team but consistently contributes, the way that both Tyrel AND Brady do. Remember that our previous coach wouldn't give Kansas kids the time of day. Thankfully, HCBS doesn't have that anti-Kansas bias. So I say to ALL Jayhawks, Merry Christmas; and to Brady and Tyrel in particular, THANK YOU!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

God forbid anyone to disagree on a message board!

duanep5ku 10 years, 10 months ago

To EastBayHawk I would like to thank you for your great post today and helping us all to remember why we all love KU. The fans have the passion and love for the teams but sometimes the opinions and passion take over when posting on this site. But lets not forget the key thing,when we post on here for the most part we all love KU and we all have our own opinion.

To all Kansas fans on here have a great Holiday and Merry Christmas.

nocaljayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the post, BayArea. I live in Sacramento and would have made the trip to Berkeley if my family and I hadn't come to my family's place in KS for the holiday. From what I saw on TV, the Cal fans looked more interested in talking to their buddies and mugging for the camera than in watching and getting into the game.

Gutierrez is, I contend, the biggest punk/crybaby in CBB, and he deserved an ejection...during the replay of that second-half scrum, you can clearly see him grab and swipe and scratch at TRob's arms and face at least three times.

And for the record, I have no problem at all with Robinson's T or Marcus Morris's T--someone's got to stand up and show toughness, and I think Cal's players warranted a couple more Ts than they were assessed. I think slack officiating early contributed to the chippiness.

jhox 10 years, 10 months ago

Truth be told, Self probably doesn't discourage our guys standing up to punks like Gutierrez, but I'm sure he wishes they'd be a little less obvious in how they do it. On the play where Marcus was kicked out, He and Kemp were isolated in the lane...way too easy for everyone (including the refs) to see the cheap shot. Wait for your opportunity to get even in traffic...don't do it where it is going to be clealy visible. Guiterrez was clearly a master at this.

The main reason Roy Williams never won a National Championship at KU (in my opinion) is that our teams were not very tough (the Collison / Hinrich team was an exception, and that team would have won a NC if not for Collison's untimely lapse at hitting free throws.) When teams got physical with us in the NCAA tourney, William's teams tended to back down. Other than the Michigan State game a couple of years ago, Self's teams have not backed down when the opponent gets physical. Self's teams don't generally play the beautiful style of basketball that Roy's teams played, but when the going gets tough, Self's teams get going. We win a lot of ugly games under Self, and that reflects the toughness he instills in his teams.

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

Have to remember Self came from Illinois and Big 10, not really known for being a finesse type of basketball conference.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

TRob was the victim, not the instigator. Still pissed at the f'ing ref!

Philip Bowman 10 years, 9 months ago

Hold on there. Taking a swing with your elbow, twice, for no reason associated with the play is not "standing up or showing toughness." It was a cheap shot and Morris deserved to be ejected. I hope he get the message, that contrary to your view, it was not warranted. Besides that it was a stupid thing to do. He should show he is above that kind of conduct.

And what the hell was Morningstar doing? I assume he wasn't trying to lose the game but that sort of thing could do it.

That said, the thuggery shown by the conduct of the Bears deserved ejection as well. I can't understand the technical against Robinson. That punk was punching him when they were on the floor.

John Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

The stability in KU's line up starts with Reed. He wasn't the star recruit like Sherron, Henry, or Selby but has more than proved himself on the court. Kentucky will rebuild every year with a cast of one-and-done players. I like the fact that Kansas has 4 year players like Reed mixed with the one-and-done stars. That will carry on tradition and ensure another championship.

Chad Waetzig 10 years, 10 months ago

EastBay - I was at Haas and Meridians too. I think the Meridian staff were stunned when we sung the Alma Mater, did the RC Chant and clapped to "I'm a Jayhawk." the best had to be seeing PonytailBoy being booed on his own court! Especially like the love the team gave us at the end - we were definitely the sixth man.

Mike Nicco 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes, another stunning moment to the Cal crowd. Loved it.

Gutierrez reminded of that NU player Doug Gottlieb called a punk.

Travis Shinkle 10 years, 10 months ago

I was there too...and yes, the Cal people had no idea what was happening to them. Some of the locals told me that had never seen anything like that before (I was thinking "of course, you play in the Pac-10, what'd you expect?).

The normally docile Colorado, er, Cal fans started to get more vocal when they realized that the large KU "mob" was taking over their own building.

kureader 10 years, 10 months ago

Those of us lucky enough to attend games in Lawrence forget about how many fans we have all over the country. The KU crowd at CAL was incredible.

Roy Delano Loren 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh man I absolutely loved hearing that on tv. I dont know if anyone remembers, but we booed him here last year too. He and sherron were goin at it hard, talkin trash in the fieldhouse.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

Nice Post EastBay. Jayhawk Nation is alive and well coast-to-coast! Your chants were heard well on TV, too bad it wasn't on ESPN, though. In case we end up in the West Regional (Anaheim), please make the trip! I already have hotel reservations in Anaheim, San Antonio, and New Orleans.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

With Selby now in the lineup I think Reed is going to excel to new levels that none of us have seen before. All Reid has to do is to worry about his defensive assignment, move the ball, and knock down the trifecta after Taylor, Selby, EJ, and Morningstar create for him and after Marcus or Kief pass out of the double team.

As all these components get more comfortable with Selby in the lineup and everybody can start finding their rhythm and spots on the floor, this team is going to be scary good. I think Reed has every opportunity to have a "Lee Humphrey" type of season. Granted, Humphrey shot 46 percent from downtown in his two championship seasons with Florida, but that team was together and intact for two consecutive years. Reed and KU have about 21-23 more games to figure it out before the Big Dance.

Compare for yourself Lee Humphrey and Reed. Keep in mind, at the moment, there is a big difference in 3 point shooting, but I expect that to pick up the rest of the season. Would be intereesting to see Reed's stats Pre-Selby and Post Selby continuing forward.

Tyrel Reed Stats

SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS 2010-2011 KU 27.4 10.2 2.5 1.6 .8 2.00 1.0 .3 1.2 .439 .913 .345 1.37

Lee Humphrey Stats

SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS 2005-2006 FLA 29.9 10.9 1.9 1.9 1.0 1.85 .7 .0 1.1 .475 .600 .459 1.39 2006-2007 FLA 30.4 10.3 1.3 1.3 1.1 1.11 .5 .0 1.3 .475 .692 .459 1.35

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

I hope you're not comparing him to Lee Humphrey just because he is a white shooter!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

You have got to be kidding me? I guess if I didn't put the stats out there than I guess you could make that argument. Did you even look at the stat lines? You're right, Maybe I should have compared him to Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, Nolan Smith, Russell Robinson, Mario Chalmers, Ben Gordon, Juan Dixon or Rashad McCants whom all have Championships since 2002? Yeah, I think the Lee Humphrey comparison is sufficient considering the stat lines without even having to cross over the race lines. Get your head out of the gutter.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

By the way, I said "Get Your Head Out of the Gutter" in a very nice, non threatening manner so don't think of it more than it is. It was actually just more of a statement than any direct reflection on you.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

Got it! I was just joking! It's a Dan Patrick thing! You know the Peyton Hillis best white running back award.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

Let's compare him to Rip Hamilton! I'm kidding. I just hate comparing athletes to athletes. The reason is because each individual athlete brings so many different things to the table.

lee3022 10 years, 9 months ago

I do see the similarities in their games. Tyrel seems more athletic and more aggressive than I remember of Lee, but both have the role of designated sharpshooter. I think we can never get enough of those type players but in Coach Self's system they have to defend well to even get on the court.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Nice comparison..Reed no longer needs to play perimeter offense, notice 7 rebs.

FLJHK 10 years, 10 months ago

Merry Christmas to all Jayhawks out there.

I'm a frequent reader of these posts, especially during b-ball season, but a fairly infrequent poster. While I enjoy virtually all, I want to especially thank and extend season's greetings to three in particular.

1. kushaw, for your good analyses, and your exhaustive work in keeping us informed about recruiting;

2. OakvilleJHawk, for your good nature and terrific humor and ever valid points; and, of course,

3. The great Jaybate, for your insight, humor, amazingly creative writing and over-the-top analysis, as well as your deep appreciation for the institution that is Kansas Basketball.

We have much to look forward to in 2011 - we may or may not win a NC and will experience either our typical agony or boundless euphoria at season's end. But unlike virtually any other school, we will always be a part of the discussion.

As I often say, there are only two kinds of people in this world: Jayhawks and those who wish they were Jayhawks.

Happy holidays to all.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Happy Holidays to you and your family FlJHK! I appreciate the kind words. I love the game of basketball and especially KU basketball so I appreciate your post. Go Jayhawks!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

FLJHK

You need to make a New Years resolution...post more often!!!

It's classy posters such as yourself who separate kusports.com from every other site in the country.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all of Kansas Nation as I continue to fight the good fight in the virtual den of the Tiger...the JayHawk will prevail!!!

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Thx. But you topped me with that post alone. Happy holidays.

Aligned 10 years, 10 months ago

I’m going to miss Tyrel after he graduates. I think he’s been an underappreciated team member in the past.

kureader 10 years, 10 months ago

His 7 rebounds at CAL were big. He has become a really fine player. It seems like he always comes through with a "3" just when we need it.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawk Nation---- Take a few deep breaths because future battles are looming-----enjoy time with your family and Happy Holidays!

Chuckberry------ I am definitely thankful for our Jayhawk team and don't take them for granted----Later!

Mike Nicco 10 years, 10 months ago

One last item. I know Tyshawn gets a lot of run about his play on this board and deservedly so at times. But, he was the nicest to me and my boys. He shook my hand and my son’s and had a smile that can light-up a room.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone remember when KU recruited Tyrel Reed? Was he considered a great prospect or just a role player? He's been so impressive this year. I have no memory of his coming to KU.

Ed Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

He was Mr Basketball of Kansas his senior year in high school. I'm not sure they really had to recruit...you know he is from KANSAS. He dreamed all his life of playing for KU, as he says.

Roy Delano Loren 10 years, 9 months ago

I dont know, but I do know that there is film of tyrel on youtube, just killing someone in a scrimmage. And by the end of the thing, Mario has to get up off the bench and take the guy guarding reed out of the game, b/c it was obvious that he couldnt handle him. its pretty nice. If you look at the video, you can see some of the skills he has. I dont think ppl understand the scorer this guy was in hs. He's damn talented...

kcglowboy 10 years, 9 months ago

Reiterating what I mentioned in another reply above, I'm just grateful we have a head coach who welcomes Kansas players onto the team. A previous head coach had a bias against Kansas players. As a born-and-bred Kansan, it's thrilling to witness the local-boys-make-good stories. I've read many times through the years that KSHSAA rules, and lack of consistently good competition, make it difficult for Kansas high school kids to develop at the same pace as talent in other parts of the country. I'm glad that HCBS recognizes that heart, passion and devotion can go a long way toward overcoming gaps in talent.

Kye Clark 10 years, 9 months ago

Well the "previous head coach" did bring in Steve Woodbury and BJ Williams, and recruited Maurice Evans vigorously, going so far as to question his signing with Wichita State as being on the up-and-up. He also recruited BJ's brother Darren. Just not sure how accurate the bias is that you're referring to. What other Kansas kids during his time here were you disappointed that he didn't bring in?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Let's not forget about "Big Dub" Wayne Simien. He did miss out on Kris Weems and Derek Hood.

Kye Clark 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh my! How could I have forgot about Simien?!? Unacceptable. But just one more to prove Roy wasn't opposed to bringing in Kansas kids.

Kye Clark 10 years, 9 months ago

He also recruited Korleone Young from Wichita East (I was actually at a Heights-East game that Roy and several other head coaches attended), but in a very ill-advised decision he declared for the draft out of high school.

Cman 10 years, 9 months ago

All. Been reading the blog for a long time now and finally logged in to comment. Always good to see the good words here about Coach and the team. Given the posts about the Bayhawks having a nice time with the team before they boarded the bus, I thought I would share my story - given the nature of the season. My son (Ryan) and I attended Bill's parent/child bball camp in '09. Ryan got really sick at breakfast before heading over for the final couple hours of camp. 2 weeks later he was diagnosed with a tennis ball sized brain tumor and had emergency surgery. His ordeal lasted over 3 months with too many days in the hospital to count. Through a fortuitous series of events started by a friend and MU grad, we got a call from Coach Self at our house when Ryan finally came home from his last stay in the hospital. Brett Ballard, now over at Baker, was very instrumental in getting my son various signed team gear and other items as we had several fundraisers for Ryan during this time. Ryan is doing great by the way and is playing hoops this fall.

Let me say that these kids are great to be around at the basketball camp. The players are awesome to approach and talk to. Tyrel being one of the most awesome young athletes I've visited with. Also, to see Sherron's eyes light up when talking about his son was priceless. This year's team is no exception; we did the parent/child camp again this year and had many great conversations with the players. Mostly, Coach Self spent several minutes visiting with Ryan and me and his concern for and excitement to see Ryan was very special.

With all this said, we all must remember these are young men trying to do their best and sometmes they will make mistakes, but as true Jayhawk faithful continue to chant and support them with all we've got.

Happy holidays to all and Rockchalk!

DC

Ed Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing such a moving story! I am glad to hear Ryan is doing great. May life's blessings continue to be bountiful in your lives. Happy holidays back at ya!

RCJH

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 9 months ago

Ryan 1 Tumor 0

Go Ryan Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AsadZ 10 years, 9 months ago

Its great to hear such stories and cements the fact that HCBS is the best overall coach in CBB. We are grateful that he is our HC.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

For the 2010-2011 Kansas Jayhawks, you spell glue...R-E-E-D

Ed Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

The one thing that surprised me was the foul mouthed Cal fans. I have never heard a game with so many people yelling things that could be heard on television like they were. They were even making references to the Morris twins mother when Kief was shooting free throws one time as well as yelling obscenities about his brother. We should ship a few of the classy KU fans out there and re-train them how to act!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, on the last post--I was addressing to Cman's post.

dynamitehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Dear Santa:

Sorry this letter is coming late. I know what I want. Ben McLemore at KU. And I want Selby to lob it to TRob, behind the back, no-look, in the NC game, for the win, and TRob breaks the backboard and lands in his feet (which are on fire).

Sincerely,

Dynamitehawk

dynamitehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Correction: "on" his feet. Glad I caught that, for TRob's sake. That would have been messy.

lionhawk13 10 years, 9 months ago

Love the toughness !! Not the visiblity, we can get the message without the drama.. Good post from alohahawk many ties in Hawaii, ,lots of support for the hawks in paradise 5 of us left after the 88 title to be warriors. "lawrence trash" that played with Danny and Dawn and the blood runs strong!!! Stay strong if you know the game we are doing what it takes to make the magic ....... LOL means "lots of love"" for the hawk nation have a great christmas Aloha Nui Loa

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

kesmithstl1 and kushaw,

~First the basketball aspect: kushaw is on very sound footing here about Reed benefitting from Selby's arrival. He is perhaps even too narrow in his recognition of likely beneficiaries. It is a team game and teams are by definition complementary organizations and every player with talents complementary to Selby's, and vice versa, will benefit greatly from having a player of his remarkable abilities complement him. But those that don't won't.

Elgin Baylor, who fit so well with Jerry West, did not fit with Jerry, when Wilt arrived. A great, do-it-all guard and a great big man do not need a slasher on the wing. They need a power forward that can bang, catch a pass out of the double team and jam. They need wings that can shoot long, not slashers. The situation repeats often. Some players fit together better than others, regardless of how good each of them may be individually. Baylor was a Hall of Famer and he had to move on.

~Second, the unmentioned (in your tete a tete) Tyshawn aspect: too many board rats are assuming Ty's and Selby's games don't mesh, because Ty is struggling with the adaptation, way more than, say, Tyrel is from his wing. Well, of course Tyshawn is. It is much harder to change the role of the quarterback of a team to fit a dynamic new player like Selby than it is for a wing to do so.

No matter who was playing the point guard, when Selby arrived, even Jo Jo White, or Sherron Collins, it was going to be a tough transition for the PG.

For instance, by what yard stick do you decide to pass up Selby on the wing and funnel it into Marcus, or vice versa, when both are capable of creating and making high percentage shots at different places on the floor?

The simple answer is: when one is doubled, go to the other, but what about Kieff? What is the new heuristic for defaulting from Marcus to either Kieff or Selby? The simple answer is: which ever is the more open? But how exactly do you gauge who is more open, a big on the blocks, who can pop it all the way out to the trey stripe, or a wing, who can shake and bake and create something that may open in a few more seconds?

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Lots of much more dicey decisions face Tyshawn than when Brady is on the wing, or when EJ is on the wing, or Tyrel, or Travis. With those fellows on the wing, the default choice is always to the high percentage shot by a big. With the new Mr. Impact, Josh the Ripper, it can be difficult to decide.

So: Tyshawn needs to be cut some slack and given a few cupcake games--3 to be exact--to get his quarterbacking down. He can do this. And if he cannot, EJ is waiting in the wings like Bette Davis' understudy in All About Eve. His TOs are waaaaay down, even if his over stimulated stretches are not entirely extinguished. And as I have pointed out, Tyrel is plenty fast enough now to play the point for more than just end of game stretches.

But I have seen Tyshawn overcome incredible adversity in his career a number of times now. He has some basketball capital stored in my privately-owned, basketball Federal Reserve. And in his defense, since he has earned by respect over time, I will print some fiat currency to cover him for awhile, as the Fed does for its friends, if I have to for awhile.

Board rats are always giving Quantum T up for dead, the way neo royalists, neocons and fascists are always giving up on the American republic and its democratic experiment. America will probably over come the anti-representative elements eventually and Tyshawn will probably overcome the anti-Tyshawnists. He will probably rise above this and play his usual 25-30 mpg after a rocky passage in early January. Self doesn't play fair about getting his way regarding a player's performance. He's aiming a J&S (Josh and Selby) .44 magnum at Tyshawn now, and he's saying, "You better cut those TOs, or else." Self is entirely capable of returning Tyshawn to the toughening box. He sent Mario Chalmers in practically every year he was at KU.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

It may be that Selby will become the PG and Tyshawn the 2. I don't know. I doubt even Self knows for sure right now. But there is no way in heck that Tyshawn, who has become the best defender we have on the perimeter, by a considerable margin (and everyone knows what a terrfic defender I think Brady is), is not going to be playing most of the time on a Self team. (Brady too is not going gently into that good night, either, for the same reason, but that is another story). Take away Tyshawn's perimeter defense from this team, and it becomes positively unSelfian.

~Next regarding "the racial": I respect both of you greatly for not being afraid to discuss this issue openly, and seemingly in a civilized way, and it seems some how especially fitting to do so on Christmas Day eve.

~America is stuck on the still early eve of the recognition of the common cause among all Americans that Jesus, whether one believes in him, or views him as a historical fiction, reputedly spoke so wisely to (see the end of this epistle for a favorite quote).

"White shooter" is, afterall, approaching the same quotient of racist repugnance that "black jumping jacks" used to pack.

What goes around comes around for white folks, though. :-)

And once again we see that any race of persons is imminently capable of viewing any person of any race with racist over-simplifcations and encoded denigrations, like "white shooter," if they think doing so will help them, or their perceived comrades, get ahead in a competition.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

I doubt kushaw was comparing two white shooters intentionally, or even unintentionally. He's nothing if not a quantoid. :-)

It seems unarguable that Tyrel has been playing a role quite similar to Humphries, regardless of pigmentation. And I for one cannot really think of another African American, or Caucasian American, playing as similarly to Humphries, in the last few years (certainly not Tyrel last season), though I am sure there must have been players of both races trying to do so., as Reed has been doing this season. The names that you both have mentioned do not seem to fill the bill.

But I suspect the real reason I recall Humphries, and not others, in comparison to Reed, is not their common pigments, rather, it is the fact that my singular devotion to Jayhawk basketball combines with mass media's tendency to heavily spotlight championship teams. Florida looms large in my recent memory, because it was so very good and won two rings in a row with Horford and Noah et al. Florida had a rather solidly built, not very flashy, trey shooting Humphries, at 2, or 3, I can't quite recall now.

I wish for KU to win two rings and be like that Florida team. I don't wish for them to be like so many teams that have come close (like last year's fine KU team), but not gotten it done, so my memory selects toward a Florida and toward their not so flashy 2, or 3, when I begin trying to analyse Reed's progress and look for analogues for perspective. The reason I have some confidence in this explanation is that Duke had quite a few guys who would fit the description of "white shooters" at the 2, or 3, and I hate Duke, and I can't recall any of them with any distinction whatsoever, even less than a season since they cheap shotted their way past Butler.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

I believe we tend to remember and compare, either what we love and respect with what we love and respect, or what we hate and fear with what we hate and fear. All that stuff in the middle gets lost in the noise of the information path way that is mass media.

If I had a lot of race prejudice (no one is entirely untainted by "the racial") against African American players, maybe I would purposely screen out all the African Americans and retain Humphries, but I don't.

I was born with some but not much racial prejudice. My sense of reason and higher education deterred me from much of the prejudice I was born with, and I played play ground ball with all the races for a couple years, and that reduced what little I had still further. I don't hate and fear any particular race of play ground players. But I sure as hell do intensely dislike and fear cheap shotters, and big menacing ex football players, body builders, and gang bangers that like to shove you into the goal standard, or into a cement wall, or onto the asphalt, just for the fun of it, because its maker-takes and the nearest referee is in a suburb 10 miles away, and cops don't much care what happens on certain play grounds. :-)

It seems "The racial" has more lives than a cat in America, and will not stop acquiring more until all of god's human beings, recognize what the private oligarchs seeking to protect their rank status in every society of history always know: the only way to prevent liberty and equality and cooperation towards common purposes, is to prey upon human beings' innate tendency to create cultural differences and use them as means of cueing who can be trusted and who cannot be. The private oligarchy understands the cultural difference game and exploits it to divide and conquer persons otherwise harmlessly differentiated by culture.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

"The racial" is but one technique for doing it, but oh it has been an effective one, because of our naturally selected in genetic inheritance of discriminating to survive based on visual cues.

On this Christmas eve day, I ask Santa for one thing: let every human being know that when you think in a prejudiced way, when you act in a prejudiced way, when you do so unintentionally and fail to acknowledge the mistake, regarding any human being, you are helping ever so slightly a very small, transgenerationally persistent minority of persons (not a class of persons imposed by the classist equivalent of racism, but a real, relatively small, cooperative group of widely varied individuals acting together in mutual self interest at the rest of our expenses, whenever necessary), what I call the private oigarchy of a society. You are helping them continue to be able to live in the way that they have not only grown accustomed, but also in a way that they have achieved by preying at most every opportunity upon cultural differences and enabling cultural conflict in pursuit of that remarkably asymmetric prosperity they sooooooooooo enjoy, most often through inheritance.

But do not let this become a scapegoating of the private oligarchy as a class of persons either. There are within the private oligarchy just as many good persons as within any other group of persons you might care to name, at least in my rare encounters with them. And there appear from time to time great fault lines that develop among the private oligarchs and the differences from time to time involve an enlightenment among portions of the private oligarchy that leads them to seek a fairer, more humane world, only to be aggressively resisted by those that believe enlightenments endanger the status quo of the private oligarchy.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

The duty of all compassionate and enlightened human beings is to enable and encourage those enlightened members of the private oligarchy with allegiance and support and incentives for persisting toward a more humane world.

No -ism can save humanity. -isms, that is ideologies, are at the center of how humanity is prevented from any meaningful salvation.

Getting better that resists including us all, from the richest private oligarch, to the poorest beggar and everyone in between, can at best be ineffectual, and at worst inflame the already raw divisions among us.

Science, even the most racist based science, when one looks behind the biased methodologies and conclusions, and at the empirical evidence, supports again and again that the genetic differences among races, and among individuals of all kinds, are always small in comparison to the shared genetic information in the totality of the human genome.

What culture defines as the greatest geniuses are narrowly gifted beyond the norm but are even then, were one to take away their accesses to certain kinds of wealth, education and information, hardly distinguishable from most of the rest of us.

We are all human beings that need to break the habit of using culture as a strategy for getting ahead of another group, at the expense of as many as necessary. There are no chosen cultures, only cultures that serve to promote humanity vs. those that choose themselves at everyone else's expense.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

Merry Rock Chalkin' Christmas!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

This was great Christamas Eve reading as I'm preparing milk and cookies for Santa. Well Done, Jaybate!

cklarock 10 years, 9 months ago

"And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'" (Matthew 25.35-40)"

The true Gospel, right there.

FLJHK 10 years, 9 months ago

I've been something of a Jaybate junkie since "the crucible" posting in March, 2008 (which I actually happened to save). I don't catch all of the posts but I catch a good number. This is among the very best.

I like the philosophy, I like the perspective, I like the references and I like the personal foundation from which it all must emerge.

Thanks, and just keep 'em coming thru 2011.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps your best post ever!! BTW Reed is no Rip Hamilton, however that is what I asked Santa for Christmas! Merry Christmas!

kesmithstl1 10 years, 9 months ago

this was intended to be a reply to Jaybate.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

First Lady Obama has declared Santa a bad example for children and wants a skinnier more healthy Santa..so no more cookies!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate---- As Dave Armstrong would say----"Wow!" You outdid yourself! Merry Christmas!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self wouldn't sleep and recruit, right?