Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hitting the road: KU men’s basketball to play first true road game vs. Cal

California guard Gary Franklin (4) and forward Harper Kamp (22) celebrate their victory against Cal Poly on Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. The Bears welcome the Jayhawks to Haas Pavilion tonight.

— Brady Morningstar, who has lived in Lawrence the vast majority of his life, has a favorite getaway spot in scenic San Francisco.

Kansas University’s 6-foot-4 senior guard rented a room in a 10-story apartment building in downtown ’Frisco in the summer of 2009, choosing to work out in the Bay Area with former KU assistant coach Bob Hill as well as trainer Frank Matrisciano.

“It’s a cool city,” Morningstar said of San Francisco, which is located 14 miles from Berkeley, site of today’s KU-California game (10 p.m., 11,877-seat Haas Pavilion).

“I don’t know if I’d ever live there (permanently), but I would definitely come out for a long vacation again. For the summer, it’s hot, but not ridiculously hot where you don’t want to go outside. It always helps to be able to work outside when it’s not 100 degrees.”

Morningstar — he averages 5.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists a game for the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks (10-0) — will feel some familiarity on this trip, which is KU’s first true road trip of the season.

The Jayhawks beat Ohio and Arizona in Las Vegas and Memphis in New York City in three neutral-site games.

“I think it’s awesome,” Morningstar said of playing a game on somebody else’s campus. “I can’t wait to wear our blue jerseys. I’ve been waiting all year to wear those. It’s probably one of my favorite jerseys to wear,” he added with a smile.

Seriously folks ... “it’s always good to get on the road and play. We look forward to playing a good team like Cal on the road. It can help prepare us for the (Big 12) conference,” Morningstar said.

Cal, the fourth Pac-10 team to play KU so far this season, takes a 6-4 record into the game following Saturday’s 51-41 home victory over Cal-Poly.

The Bears have top-quality wins over New Mexico (89-64), Temple (57-50) and Iowa State (76-73 in Ames), while losing to Notre Dame, Boston College, San Diego State and Southern Miss.

The Bears, who fell to KU, 84-69, last Dec. 22 at KU, are paced by 6-8 junior Harper Kamp (13.1 ppg) and 6-3 junior Jorge Gutierrez (12.6 ppg).

Right behind in scoring: 6-7 senior Markhuri Sanders-Frison (9.1 ppg), 6-2 freshman Gary Franklin (8.3 ppg) and 6-6 freshman Allen Crabbe (7.4 ppg).

“They’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the country,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Bears, who according to one site have the country’s third-hardest schedule to date. KU’s is 20th. “They’ve got a couple young guards playing a lot of minutes. Their big guys are good.

“We need to play somewhere in a true road game, a true away crowd,” Self added. I’m sure they’ll have a lot of people there in Haas Pavilion. I’ve only been there one other time, Jason Kidd’s first-ever game as a collegian. I was at Oklahoma State. It didn’t go well.”

The Bears beat OSU that day as they did a batch of teams in the two-year Kidd era.

“It’s always good to get that last win before Christmas,” Self said. He’ll let the Jayhawks head to their hometowns for the weekend holiday following the game. “I’m sure both teams will be motivated.”

The Jayhawks should be fired up, coming off Saturday’s narrow two-point victory over USC of the same Pac-10 Conference.

“I think it’s going to be a difficult atmosphere,” said KU junior Tyshawn Taylor, coming off a six-turnover, one-assist performance versus the Trojans. “It is our first true away game. I’m sure that anyone who plays against us is going to be juiced and ready to play. We are going to go out there and do what we do, just try to get better.”

Added Markieff Morris: “We need to show togetherness, to see if we are together as a team in a true road game. Cal is a good team. They showed it against us last year. It’ll be a great challenge for us. We have to make shots and guard. It’s what we’ll have to do to win at Cal.”

Comments

WilburNether 3 years, 4 months ago

And now a stupid technical foul by Morningstar. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. Sit him down on the bench and keep him there.

The stupidity our team has displayed tonight is beyond belief. Self needs to knock some heads when they get back to Lawrence.

WilburNether 3 years, 4 months ago

Two -- not one, but TWO -- elbows thrown by Marcus Morris. The second was blatantly flagrant. He was ejected, and should have been. What a STUPID-STUPID-STUPID play. This is absolutely disgusting.

WilburNether 3 years, 4 months ago

Stupid foul by Morningstar, approximately 85 feet from the Cal basket. Not surprising.

Kye Clark 3 years, 4 months ago

Ugh...not seeing the game listed on the link someone provided above. Looks like it's going to be a late night at the bar for ict

kck_12 3 years, 4 months ago

So...... does anyone know if the game is going to air on Direct tv or am i jus s.o.l.??

Brian Powell 3 years, 4 months ago

Texas leading MSUck, at state. always enjoy a Spartans loss..

I said KSU and MSU were way overrated preseason, and now we see why. they were just riding last year's ending..

Greg Lux 3 years, 4 months ago

This game will be won or possible lost in the first 10 minutes ... If we come out and defend, rebound and keep our turnover down we should win this game easily. If we show the same carefree attitude we have played with lately we will struggle to win ... Let's hope we see the real Jayhawks tonight.

Rock Chalk

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

If Self is smart he will put Morningstar on the far end of the bench and don't look in that direction. Brady is a total failure, 5 years and what has he shown, not damn thing. He is one of the poorest players I have seen on the KU team, and that has been over many, many years. Reed is 6 times the player that Brady is, and Reed is not burning up any nets. I think Reed's best year, is this year, a good role player. Brady is not scoring any points to speck of and his defense is, well, needs work, loses him man and then fouls a jump shooter to allow him to make a 3 point play. Bob Knight really didn't have anything good to say about Brady.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Berkeley.... Now there's a place with some hippies. I was scouting Cal, and found some things that make me not want to hate it. For example, Cal has classes on both The Simpsons AND South Park.

How cool is that?

Also, they used to use live bears rather than a mascot at sporting events. I wonder if they spray painted them gold?

Sounds like a decent place.. Wake up with your hippies buddies, go to South Park class, and then spray paint some bear cubs on football Saturday.

Brian Powell 3 years, 4 months ago

Anyone else see that coach Brown left the Bobcats??

@kirkflow, yes there will probably be a link. check in to the game blog when it starts...

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 4 months ago

is there anyway u can watch this on the internet?? if so..someone hit me with a link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kesmithstl1 3 years, 4 months ago

I hate the late start! I want to see Selby slash and drive tonight. I think 3 pointers are fascist! Any geek off the street can hit a 3! You got to be handy with the rock if you want to impress me!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Scouting report, guys....: Cal is 294th in rebounding. They have a 6-8 guy and a 6-7 guy. We will kill them.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

If Brady Morningstar gets to start, I would like to see him get 10-12pts (including 2 treys and 4of4 FTs), 4rbs, 4 assists, 3 steals and not get outscored by anyone he is guarding. Also zero turnovers. I believe this is realistic and within BStar's capabilities and expected performance envelope.

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I've an 87 year old neighbor who spent his late twenties working in the Bay area. I rang him up to catch his take on the San Francisco nomenclature from a midwest viewpoint. I asked, "Didn't you spend some time working out on the West Coast when you were a young pup?" His reply: "Yeah, I was a pipe fitter out in Frisco." HA!

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

I liked the "Frisco"reference. Nothing spins up the NorCals quicker. For further fun, when they talk about the City by the Bay, ask them, "Which bay, San Diego or Santa Monica?"

SDSurferFan 3 years, 4 months ago

Surprised there isn't more Pullen Kstate banter going on.

I really wish I knew how it went down with Pullen and Kelly. Did they roll into Dillards and the clerk said, 'don't worry, your money is no good here?' Or "wow, kstate guys, i'll give you 70% off?'

Don't know the latest, but seems like an excessive punishment. Selby rcvd $5k+? Got 9 games? A few pairs of jeans and a button down and you get three games? Big blow to their team as they lost to UNLV last night, which was basically a home game. That could ultimately cost them a seed or two come selection time.

Doug LeMoine 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh for crying out loud, Gary! Berkeley is within sight of SF! They're maybe two miles apart, as the crow flies. I guess you did your research on Google Maps? Note: The two cities are directly across the Bay from each other. 14 miles? Only in a car, and only if you're driving from southern SF to northern Berkeley.

Also, like KGPhoto said, only call it "'Frisco" if you want to be seen as a dumbass.

AsadZ 3 years, 4 months ago

Changing the subject a bit, I watched USC/TN game last night and while USC won the game by 1 pt they did not look like the team that showed up to play on Sat at AFH. Their leading scorere, double-double stud, fouled out with 4 points. They were not very effective in their insdide game were heavily relying on jump shots and outside bombs. Similar comparison can be made against the UCLA team that came so close to winning against KU at AFH but lost the following home game to a much inferior team. This leads me to believe a) KU did not play very well in these home games b) Teams are giving their very best when playing at AFH against KU. With KU's home streak being at #1 in the nation, I think its a combination of both of these points with special consideration on point #2. Every team that is coming to AFH has a goal to beat the streak. In his post game interview, USC coach also made a statement that someone will break the streak some day. At that time I was curious to see why he made the specific comment about the streak when no reporter had commenetd on it. He was thinking about it and must have used it to pump up the team. At the same time I also get a feeling that KU players have this streak in their minds and are playing with the attitude of not to lose at home rather than playing to Win. Comments!

Bear86 3 years, 4 months ago

Looking forward to watching the Hawks live tonight. The Jayhawk nation will be out in force! Do not underestimate this team. Cal played KU extremely close last year in Lawrence. The Hawks are good but young. We do not have a Sherron (yet/Selby will come around) Cole or Xavier to lead a team into Hostile territory. Rock Chalk!! F-Texas!!!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 4 months ago

Caly-Fornya Xmas List

1. Selby: pass first, shoot second
  2. Taylor: Ditto, plus limited to 3 turnovers and have 8+ assists
  3. Reed: 3-5 from three
  4. Cus 10 & 10
  5. Kief 10 & 10 and no foul out
  6. T Rob-4 blocks
  7. Releford-15 minutes, 7 points and no turnovers
  8. Withey-12 to 15 minutes
  9. EJ: 1 tunover, 3 assists and a reverse, between the legs, behind the back 720 dunk.
  10. Brady: 4 steals
  11. Royce-5 minutes on the hardwood
  12. Team: 22 assists, 9 steals, and 10 turnovers

And I hope Mario finds whatever it is that he needs most at this point in his life.

Rock Chalk, Happy Holidays.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

Keep Brady on the bench. This is going to be a test. It's about time the guys get away for a good game. We will see how tough they are.

slowplay 3 years, 4 months ago

Why is everyone so fired up about Selby's offense? If he doesn't score, someone else will. Offense has not been a problem this year. Selby and the post players need play a lot better defense. TO's need to be reduced and FT's need to be made.

RockChalk26 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else find the Pullen and Kelly suspension unfair? Selby did the same thing and got a 9 game suspension. The K-State duo only got a 3 game suspension. What's going on here?

KGphoto 3 years, 4 months ago

"Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars." -Emperor Norton

KGphoto 3 years, 4 months ago

FYI: Frisco is a town in Colorado. Nobody but lame tourists call San Francisco, "Frisco". Try it anywhere in the Bay area and you'll get the eye roll, and then you'll be completely left out of the rest of any conversation and generally ignored. It's the equivalent of walking in the room, pulling down your pants and announcing you're from Decatur and "Would anybody teach me how to drink wine?". Fail.

jeffds01 3 years, 4 months ago

can't wait to see the new blue uniforms, they are the same as the new white ones, just blue....

i wouldn't mind nike coming back, have you seen the mock up idea for a new football helmet for next year, it has the 40's (mean-face) jayhawk on it, but only a small part of the face and beak....

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else think that photo above looks like it was taken off a TV screen?

HawkBBall 3 years, 4 months ago

If Tyshawn continues to play with his head somewhere else, it could be a bear trap!

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 4 months ago

Selby is fresh and hungry being he's just getting started. If the others are flat, I expect Josh to turn it up a notch.

TXjaybird 3 years, 4 months ago

Is the game going to be broadcast on-line tonight?

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to the game tonight (and I'm sure I won't be the only Jayhawk in the building) and I hope KU puts a beating on the Bears early... Can this be a trap game? Sure but thankfully, KU doesn't have a "BIG" game soon and with all of the near-misses recently, you'd hope that Coach has them focused for tonight...

AverageCitizen 3 years, 4 months ago

“They’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the country,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Bears"......

Yes, and they got soundly beat by them too. Notre Dame 44-57, Boston College 46-68, San Diego State 57-77. Even their own fans think this is an inexperienced raw NIT bound squad. Cal lost four seniors who played the most minutes for them last year. They lost first in total minutes (Randle) , second in total minutes (Christopher), third in total minutes (Robertson) and fourth in total minutes (Boykin). This will be a very different team from last year that we play. Even then, we beat them by 15 (84-69). I'm not going to totally disrespect them, for they could out perform themselves, but I' not going to be shaking in my boots either.

Ben Kane 3 years, 4 months ago

agree with those above. let's make a statement with a blowout!

BringBackNike 3 years, 4 months ago

Can't wait to see the new blue uniforms! Of course they would be better if we didn't have Adidas. Rock Chalk & Bring Back Nike!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Just a "not so funny" feeling based on the past history of a Kansas, post exams, pre-Christmas road games [see KU at St.Louis against St.Louis University in the late 90's].

However, I would be more worried if Josh was still unavailable. I predict a slow start and a fast finish.

Kansas 78 - Cal 63

I agree with lee3022 ....we've got three "scrimmages" sandwiching two true road tests. The goal?

15-0 going into Hilton Arena

kufaninmo 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with plastic here...I just want to be able to hear the rock chalk chant for once! Seems like forever ago. Hopefully ku blows them out

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 4 months ago

This better not be a close game.

I think we'll handle these guys. The Haas Pavilion will be rocking for maybe 5 minutes, and go quiet for the rest of the game.

KU by 21.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

A 6-4 team is getting in our head?

Bill Self 2010 vs. Mike Montgomery 2010 = KU victory!

Watch out for Selby, the twins and TRob. They'll combine for at least 60 pts while Cal is averageing in the 50s.

DCSven 3 years, 4 months ago

I've said it in seasons past, this is the perfect opportunity to say it again -- I question the strategic thinking in waiting this long to schedule a true road game. I've got to believe that some of the toughness HCBS seeks could be learned by playing in front of hostile crowds, where opposing teams will play tougher, forcing us to, sooner.

We've had some close calls -- go get this one done Jayhawks! Earn that high ranking!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Yea!!!!! The blue uniforms. Love the blues. Please leave the red uni's behind. Good luck, Jayhawks! It would be nice to win by more than one or two points. Like the Memphis game. Rock Chalk!

lee3022 3 years, 4 months ago

This game is setting up for a trap game (Bear trap!). Mike Montgomery is indeed a fine coach and emotionally his kids will be pumped to get him 600 in style. The West Coast sports mentality is always up to prove their quality (since Eastern media often go to bed and ignore their games). Beating a high-ranked team is sweet. Taking down a Mid-Western or Eastern power is especially sweet.

Given all that this will be an excellent preparation for us in conference play. This game and the Michigan game seem like really great scheduling by KU.

ajhk 3 years, 4 months ago

"It always helps to be able to work outside when it’s not 100 degrees.” Is Brady suggesting his future is in construction? I could picture Brady with bird tattoos on his neck with maybe a teardrop on the cheek, a cig dangling, dropping ash in the rawhide tool-belt while furiously pounding nails in a meth induced frenzy.
Whatever your future may be Brady, please just make sure the LJW continues to give you press so us board rats can follow your every move and keep the debate alive. We need you Brady. Without your quiet sacrifice, It saddens me to imagine what other near trivial issue we could use to so aggressively turn on our fellow Hawk fans. Your existence alone has created a rift in the brotherhood. I've recently seen fellow hawks dawning black leather jackets with insignia loudly displaying their pro-or-no Brady stance. Turf perimeters are being drawn in Jayhawk blood. It's spreading into nearby schools and infecting countless children ...children dammit! Bloodlust taunts are aimlessly hurled across the greenzone in hopes of inflicting damage. A beautiful morning in the greenzone is told by the absence of Swiss workers gathering strewn piles of bloodied blue feathers.
I do not blame you Brady, you're only trying to play the game you love (besides the meth frenzied nail pounding game.) If any of you guys know- can I earn my Brady jacket through praise, or do I really have to snuff a hater?

@USC hopeful predictions-
The team is slightly more settled into a real offense with the new addition. Taylor controls his desire to be more "outstanding" than his previous outings. The Bigs get more feeds from penetration rather than the over-the-top. Selby plays a quieter game, taking more in, getting used to the speed of the game and displays a better handle. Reed feels less pressure to be the one and only perimeter long ball threat, loosens a bit and strokes 4 of 5 trifectas.

Most of all, the team really gets motivated because they understand: A. It's a true road game B. It's against a pac-10 team that if like all the others we've played, is stronger than their record suggests and have the athleticism and length to play with anyone on their good days. C. They need high energy to stoke an aggressive defense yielding easy buckets and facilitating some runs that look like death blows ...until the flame peters out in the second half and this time it's a Morris hitting the winning three off a Selby dish.

A prediction closer to truth: In a matter of months this poster explores the cause of his chronic fatigue. His revelations are alarming. He discovers his ambien induced unconscious nighttime state is not one that rests. Rather, it is a zombie creature that has a fetish for spilling out one regrettable string of words after another on this very site. Less surprising, this zombie is not alone!

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 4 months ago

Okay Jayhawks, time to get with it. If you play like you played USC, I'm afraid Cal is going to have your lunch.

Frankly, I can't figure out how come the three Pac10 teams you've played so far have given you such fits, when the Pac10 is so down this year. Seems like you should be whomping these guys by 15-20 points or so, not squeaking out one point wins...

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!!