Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hitting the road: KU men’s basketball to play first true road game vs. Cal

California guard Gary Franklin (4) and forward Harper Kamp (22) celebrate their victory against Cal Poly on Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. The Bears welcome the Jayhawks to Haas Pavilion tonight.

— Brady Morningstar, who has lived in Lawrence the vast majority of his life, has a favorite getaway spot in scenic San Francisco.

Kansas University’s 6-foot-4 senior guard rented a room in a 10-story apartment building in downtown ’Frisco in the summer of 2009, choosing to work out in the Bay Area with former KU assistant coach Bob Hill as well as trainer Frank Matrisciano.

“It’s a cool city,” Morningstar said of San Francisco, which is located 14 miles from Berkeley, site of today’s KU-California game (10 p.m., 11,877-seat Haas Pavilion).

“I don’t know if I’d ever live there (permanently), but I would definitely come out for a long vacation again. For the summer, it’s hot, but not ridiculously hot where you don’t want to go outside. It always helps to be able to work outside when it’s not 100 degrees.”

Morningstar — he averages 5.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists a game for the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks (10-0) — will feel some familiarity on this trip, which is KU’s first true road trip of the season.

The Jayhawks beat Ohio and Arizona in Las Vegas and Memphis in New York City in three neutral-site games.

“I think it’s awesome,” Morningstar said of playing a game on somebody else’s campus. “I can’t wait to wear our blue jerseys. I’ve been waiting all year to wear those. It’s probably one of my favorite jerseys to wear,” he added with a smile.

Seriously folks ... “it’s always good to get on the road and play. We look forward to playing a good team like Cal on the road. It can help prepare us for the (Big 12) conference,” Morningstar said.

Cal, the fourth Pac-10 team to play KU so far this season, takes a 6-4 record into the game following Saturday’s 51-41 home victory over Cal-Poly.

The Bears have top-quality wins over New Mexico (89-64), Temple (57-50) and Iowa State (76-73 in Ames), while losing to Notre Dame, Boston College, San Diego State and Southern Miss.

The Bears, who fell to KU, 84-69, last Dec. 22 at KU, are paced by 6-8 junior Harper Kamp (13.1 ppg) and 6-3 junior Jorge Gutierrez (12.6 ppg).

Right behind in scoring: 6-7 senior Markhuri Sanders-Frison (9.1 ppg), 6-2 freshman Gary Franklin (8.3 ppg) and 6-6 freshman Allen Crabbe (7.4 ppg).

“They’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the country,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Bears, who according to one site have the country’s third-hardest schedule to date. KU’s is 20th. “They’ve got a couple young guards playing a lot of minutes. Their big guys are good.

“We need to play somewhere in a true road game, a true away crowd,” Self added. I’m sure they’ll have a lot of people there in Haas Pavilion. I’ve only been there one other time, Jason Kidd’s first-ever game as a collegian. I was at Oklahoma State. It didn’t go well.”

The Bears beat OSU that day as they did a batch of teams in the two-year Kidd era.

“It’s always good to get that last win before Christmas,” Self said. He’ll let the Jayhawks head to their hometowns for the weekend holiday following the game. “I’m sure both teams will be motivated.”

The Jayhawks should be fired up, coming off Saturday’s narrow two-point victory over USC of the same Pac-10 Conference.

“I think it’s going to be a difficult atmosphere,” said KU junior Tyshawn Taylor, coming off a six-turnover, one-assist performance versus the Trojans. “It is our first true away game. I’m sure that anyone who plays against us is going to be juiced and ready to play. We are going to go out there and do what we do, just try to get better.”

Added Markieff Morris: “We need to show togetherness, to see if we are together as a team in a true road game. Cal is a good team. They showed it against us last year. It’ll be a great challenge for us. We have to make shots and guard. It’s what we’ll have to do to win at Cal.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 9 months ago

Okay Jayhawks, time to get with it. If you play like you played USC, I'm afraid Cal is going to have your lunch.

Frankly, I can't figure out how come the three Pac10 teams you've played so far have given you such fits, when the Pac10 is so down this year. Seems like you should be whomping these guys by 15-20 points or so, not squeaking out one point wins...

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!!

Martini_Boy 3 years, 9 months ago

I think that the USC win over Tennessee last night, which was at Tennessee, tells me these PAC 10 teams aren't too bad. We have room for improvement, but blowing decent teams out is a little lofty at this point in the season. We really don't know what some of these teams have and how good they are. So instead of believing we should walk all over opponents and playing like a well oiled machine, we should be watching to see if the coaches are catching and fixing some of this teams weaknesses. Improvement is the most important factor this early in the year....

ajhk 3 years, 9 months ago

"It always helps to be able to work outside when it’s not 100 degrees.” Is Brady suggesting his future is in construction? I could picture Brady with bird tattoos on his neck with maybe a teardrop on the cheek, a cig dangling, dropping ash in the rawhide tool-belt while furiously pounding nails in a meth induced frenzy.
Whatever your future may be Brady, please just make sure the LJW continues to give you press so us board rats can follow your every move and keep the debate alive. We need you Brady. Without your quiet sacrifice, It saddens me to imagine what other near trivial issue we could use to so aggressively turn on our fellow Hawk fans. Your existence alone has created a rift in the brotherhood. I've recently seen fellow hawks dawning black leather jackets with insignia loudly displaying their pro-or-no Brady stance. Turf perimeters are being drawn in Jayhawk blood. It's spreading into nearby schools and infecting countless children ...children dammit! Bloodlust taunts are aimlessly hurled across the greenzone in hopes of inflicting damage. A beautiful morning in the greenzone is told by the absence of Swiss workers gathering strewn piles of bloodied blue feathers.
I do not blame you Brady, you're only trying to play the game you love (besides the meth frenzied nail pounding game.) If any of you guys know- can I earn my Brady jacket through praise, or do I really have to snuff a hater?

@USC hopeful predictions-
The team is slightly more settled into a real offense with the new addition. Taylor controls his desire to be more "outstanding" than his previous outings. The Bigs get more feeds from penetration rather than the over-the-top. Selby plays a quieter game, taking more in, getting used to the speed of the game and displays a better handle. Reed feels less pressure to be the one and only perimeter long ball threat, loosens a bit and strokes 4 of 5 trifectas.

Most of all, the team really gets motivated because they understand: A. It's a true road game B. It's against a pac-10 team that if like all the others we've played, is stronger than their record suggests and have the athleticism and length to play with anyone on their good days. C. They need high energy to stoke an aggressive defense yielding easy buckets and facilitating some runs that look like death blows ...until the flame peters out in the second half and this time it's a Morris hitting the winning three off a Selby dish.

A prediction closer to truth: In a matter of months this poster explores the cause of his chronic fatigue. His revelations are alarming. He discovers his ambien induced unconscious nighttime state is not one that rests. Rather, it is a zombie creature that has a fetish for spilling out one regrettable string of words after another on this very site. Less surprising, this zombie is not alone!

ajhk 3 years, 9 months ago

Stooopid Zombie! correction- @Cal

KUFan90 3 years, 9 months ago

"...a cig dangling, dropping ash in the rawhide tool-belt while furiously pounding nails in a meth induced frenzy."

Awesome! Post of the day...

NJHAWK 3 years, 9 months ago

Very nice. Enjoyed reading it.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Hate Ideology Hall of Fame.

Tiny Genitalia Hall of Fame.

Total Fizzou Grade Stuff.

Positively Antlerian.

In absolute dis-awe of ewe.

ajhk 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh, Bater! Still sore from the last time I disagreed with you? I know, shame on me! How could I have disrespected the self-anointed king of the chat board? I must have been out of my mind! Seems like some others here are ok with being self critical and at the same time remaining loose enough to have a laugh. Thanks for the name calling, I know you could have thought of something better if you weren’t so upset, we’ll give you a pass.
When I think about it though, I’m not sure how you took this as an attack on you? I concede there was more between the lines than not but let’s not be paranoid. You more than often add good insight and logical thinking on this board but then subtract from that with your self-inflating rhetoric and silly attacks on those who might have an opinion different than yours. Have a little humility, yea? If you took the zombie spiel as a personal attack, well, that’s just plain insightful. It was first, self deprecating. I am, admittedly, an idiot. I know much less than everything and I am anything but a moral compass. Second, it was a follow up to the “board war” that you are central too and I’m simply bored of (let’s please drop the Ideologue thingy, eh?) But, it wasn’t an attack. We all will say silly things on here, disagree with others, sometimes take things too personal, but for god sakes- sometimes it helps to step back and realize, we are talking about a game here! Perspective bro, !Perspective! You’ve been in a fight here on the board with some others and have created a division. This you are aware. I will not take sides with or against you. What is the point? Christ, get out once in a while, breath some fresh air and have a laugh! Or, return to enjoying a little discussion of our team while at least acting like you are aware you may not be right all of the time. …and I just can’t stop. I mean Really? I expected you to be perceptive enough to see the irony in your own post. Calling me out as a hater and an ideologue while offering nothing but petty name calling? Did you completely miss the point? I’m trying to make fun of the existence of the rift you guys have had while not calling out either side.
Please tell me you clumsily put yourself in the middle of my rant for us to laugh at as some sort of irony martyr. Cause, honestly, I’d rather have a giggle any day than “learn” from the master-bater of a completely non-scientific game. Right now you’re on the right track, much more to laugh at than to learn from.

P.S. No, I will not be able to hang around all night to chat with you but maybe in a few days we’ll bump into each other. Just don’t roll over my toes Hawking. HeHe!

Never sore.

Just enjoy working out on a punching bag.

You ought to know that by now. :-)

lee3022 3 years, 9 months ago

This game is setting up for a trap game (Bear trap!). Mike Montgomery is indeed a fine coach and emotionally his kids will be pumped to get him 600 in style. The West Coast sports mentality is always up to prove their quality (since Eastern media often go to bed and ignore their games). Beating a high-ranked team is sweet. Taking down a Mid-Western or Eastern power is especially sweet.

Given all that this will be an excellent preparation for us in conference play. This game and the Michigan game seem like really great scheduling by KU.

yates33333 3 years, 9 months ago

pay heed. these are excellent observations.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Top coaches get juiced about coaching against each other. In this case, Both coaches know Self will not be amping his team and that Monty will be. This creates an asymmetry that Self has to try to compensate for by putting in a few wrinkles and by relying a bit more than usual on MUAs.

In turn, Monty knows that just amping his players up won't be enough. And so Self knows Monty has to put in some wrinkles to make a game of it.

Self's main tactical choice is whether to let his team labor from the start, then intervene with some wrinkles to help them get the win, or to intervene early to get them a lead, and then let them labor through for the win.

So far this season, Self has helped his young team to early leads, then let them labor for the win. He tried to do the same against USC, but o'neill's zone pack disrupted things more than Self anticipated. So: Self had to intervene way more than usual , largely through use of Selby but also through quite a few adjustments.

It is about time for the team to be allowed to labor an entire game on it's own, but with Selby still new, Self may wait another game or two befor throwing them to the dogs to try to learn how to win a game for themselves.

If Monty's amping and wrinkles lrigger an early Cal lead of more than 3 pts, then I would expect Self to intervene quickly, in which case the game will default into a battle of coaches--Monty jockeying not to waste an amping, and Self trying to eek out another win for his still developing team, until it is mature enough to try to learn to win games on it own.

But if KU sans amping separates early, look for Self to throw them to the dogs today. It is likely too be another ugly game either way, unless Tyrel and Brady regain their touches today.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

Yea!!!!! The blue uniforms. Love the blues. Please leave the red uni's behind. Good luck, Jayhawks! It would be nice to win by more than one or two points. Like the Memphis game. Rock Chalk!

DCSven 3 years, 9 months ago

I've said it in seasons past, this is the perfect opportunity to say it again -- I question the strategic thinking in waiting this long to schedule a true road game. I've got to believe that some of the toughness HCBS seeks could be learned by playing in front of hostile crowds, where opposing teams will play tougher, forcing us to, sooner.

We've had some close calls -- go get this one done Jayhawks! Earn that high ranking!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 9 months ago

A 6-4 team is getting in our head?

Bill Self 2010 vs. Mike Montgomery 2010 = KU victory!

Watch out for Selby, the twins and TRob. They'll combine for at least 60 pts while Cal is averageing in the 50s.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 9 months ago

This better not be a close game.

I think we'll handle these guys. The Haas Pavilion will be rocking for maybe 5 minutes, and go quiet for the rest of the game.

KU by 21.

kufaninmo 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with plastic here...I just want to be able to hear the rock chalk chant for once! Seems like forever ago. Hopefully ku blows them out

Tony Bandle 3 years, 9 months ago

Just a "not so funny" feeling based on the past history of a Kansas, post exams, pre-Christmas road games [see KU at St.Louis against St.Louis University in the late 90's].

However, I would be more worried if Josh was still unavailable. I predict a slow start and a fast finish.

Kansas 78 - Cal 63

I agree with lee3022 ....we've got three "scrimmages" sandwiching two true road tests. The goal?

15-0 going into Hilton Arena

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

This is realistic with Selby's added ammo, more if possible! It wouldn't hurt given the current play of late. We are due a huge breakout game where our D produces some O and breaks it wide open. I'd like a little breathing room. I can't watch them play below their ability and win by single digits.

RCJHKU

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

Ahhh, the Bilikins. I believe that was against Ryan Robertson's brother.

Of course we're at risk for an upset here. But honestly, a loss tonight isn't that big of deal.

How is the Pac 10/ Big 12 hardwood record so far this year? Anyone?

Jim Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

Nice prediction--don't think i've ever seen anyone hit it exacto. Crystal ball, perhaps? Any national championship trophies in there?

BringBackNike 3 years, 9 months ago

Can't wait to see the new blue uniforms! Of course they would be better if we didn't have Adidas. Rock Chalk & Bring Back Nike!

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 9 months ago

Those uniforms don't need anything but "KANSAS" on them.

Ben Kane 3 years, 9 months ago

agree with those above. let's make a statement with a blowout!

AverageCitizen 3 years, 9 months ago

“They’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the country,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Bears"......

Yes, and they got soundly beat by them too. Notre Dame 44-57, Boston College 46-68, San Diego State 57-77. Even their own fans think this is an inexperienced raw NIT bound squad. Cal lost four seniors who played the most minutes for them last year. They lost first in total minutes (Randle) , second in total minutes (Christopher), third in total minutes (Robertson) and fourth in total minutes (Boykin). This will be a very different team from last year that we play. Even then, we beat them by 15 (84-69). I'm not going to totally disrespect them, for they could out perform themselves, but I' not going to be shaking in my boots either.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm going to the game tonight (and I'm sure I won't be the only Jayhawk in the building) and I hope KU puts a beating on the Bears early... Can this be a trap game? Sure but thankfully, KU doesn't have a "BIG" game soon and with all of the near-misses recently, you'd hope that Coach has them focused for tonight...

RockChalk26 3 years, 9 months ago

Where are you going for pre game? I have some friends headed to the game who are looking for a place to go before the game.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 9 months ago

Probably get something elsewhere before the game...Berkeley is a "different" place to say the least...

TXjaybird 3 years, 9 months ago

Is the game going to be broadcast on-line tonight?

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 9 months ago

It's a Pac-10 site so that means that it's not allowed on "normal" TV networks...it's on FSN not ESPN

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 9 months ago

It's also on MSGHD for those in the NYC area.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 9 months ago

Selby is fresh and hungry being he's just getting started. If the others are flat, I expect Josh to turn it up a notch.

HawkBBall 3 years, 9 months ago

If Tyshawn continues to play with his head somewhere else, it could be a bear trap!

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else think that photo above looks like it was taken off a TV screen?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 9 months ago

nah.....just through a glass darkly.

clm2122 3 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking more like a picture of a picture in a newspaper. LOL

jeffds01 3 years, 9 months ago

can't wait to see the new blue uniforms, they are the same as the new white ones, just blue....

i wouldn't mind nike coming back, have you seen the mock up idea for a new football helmet for next year, it has the 40's (mean-face) jayhawk on it, but only a small part of the face and beak....

BringBackNike 3 years, 9 months ago

No idea what you are talking about with the mock helmets. Post the link.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

FYI: Frisco is a town in Colorado. Nobody but lame tourists call San Francisco, "Frisco". Try it anywhere in the Bay area and you'll get the eye roll, and then you'll be completely left out of the rest of any conversation and generally ignored. It's the equivalent of walking in the room, pulling down your pants and announcing you're from Decatur and "Would anybody teach me how to drink wine?". Fail.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Thx for defending my most beloved city from the barbarians!

You may take overr for the late Herb Caen any time.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I lived there for a few years and I proudly call it "Frisco". I found people who stuck their noses up in the air and insisted on the full name to be full of obnoxious self-importance that made them stand out as snobs. There's a reason "Nob Hill" was also called "Snob Hill".

To me, "Frisco" is a term of endearment and I'll never apologize for calling it that, both then when I lived there and now that I'm aways away.

And yes, I enjoyed reading Herb Caen in my "Frisco" Chronicle.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

"Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars." -Emperor Norton

RockChalk26 3 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else find the Pullen and Kelly suspension unfair? Selby did the same thing and got a 9 game suspension. The K-State duo only got a 3 game suspension. What's going on here?

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

the suspension is based on the $ amount of the impermissable benefits.

If I recall, any gift over $1,000 equals missing 33% of the season.

So, if they only received a pair of sneakers and a hoodie, were only talkin a few hundred bucks at most

I don't know the exact inner-workings of the NCAA, but logic would indicate they took much less than $1,000.

RockChalk26 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the explanations.

It seems like more and more student athletes are getting in trouble for impermissible benefits these days. For all the money that these athletes generate for their schools, I feel they should be getting paid for their services. Who knows, if they get paid and they have money to buy stuff then maybe they wouldn't be tempted by gifts.

I am not defending the KSU players but something has to change.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

For the most part, I agree with you. I think. I go back and forth on this....

They get schollies, right? A free education? At KU, if you stayed 4 years that would be valued anywhere from 40-60 thousand dollars.

Problem is, nobody stays 4 years, especially the super athletes that the schools get this notariety. Guys like X and Selby don't get the return on their investments that Reed & Morningstar, et al get, right? Selby comes to KU, brings in 10x the media/exposure that Reed does, but Reed will stay 4 years and get his 50 thousand dollar education. Selby gets 1 year of school, and likely no degree. That is is his personal choice though. He could stay 4 years just like Tyrell.

I think an innate human trait is 'law breaking'. See Adam & Eve. In my opinion, no matter what freedom or regulation is given, there are those who will always exceed the parameters they are to be confined to.

slowplay 3 years, 9 months ago

Why is everyone so fired up about Selby's offense? If he doesn't score, someone else will. Offense has not been a problem this year. Selby and the post players need play a lot better defense. TO's need to be reduced and FT's need to be made.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

+1 simplest formula for winning.

value every possession, no turnovers never take a play off, ESPECIALLY ON D and start hitting 72-75 percent of Free Throws

makes little sense to me to have the offensive focus be through the twins, yet they cannot hit the charity shots.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

Part of the reason there were so many turnovers was the accelerated pace, due to the increased adrenalin, due to Selby being in the game. Selby was anxious to make something happen and Taylor was all-too ready to jump on and try to get a rise out of the crowd, instead of settling down and playing sound basketball.

That part shouldn't be as big a problem at Cal. I bet we see a more fundamental game and Selby can start weaving his way into the system proper.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

Caly-Fornya Xmas List

1. Selby: pass first, shoot second
  2. Taylor: Ditto, plus limited to 3 turnovers and have 8+ assists
  3. Reed: 3-5 from three
  4. Cus 10 & 10
  5. Kief 10 & 10 and no foul out
  6. T Rob-4 blocks
  7. Releford-15 minutes, 7 points and no turnovers
  8. Withey-12 to 15 minutes
  9. EJ: 1 tunover, 3 assists and a reverse, between the legs, behind the back 720 dunk.
  10. Brady: 4 steals
  11. Royce-5 minutes on the hardwood
  12. Team: 22 assists, 9 steals, and 10 turnovers

And I hope Mario finds whatever it is that he needs most at this point in his life.

Rock Chalk, Happy Holidays.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

Ooh! I'll take a # 9 please. With extra air. And Harper Kamp will have a # 9.5 with a tea bag and a signed poster from EJ.

If you're all out, I'll settle for 80% FT from McKMorris'. (hey it's Christmas)

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey, I've seen the reverse, between-the-legs....didn't figure it'd be asking too much to see two full circle spins along the way!!

He'd need some Spud Webb hops for that feat.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

Love that clip and it's also when he waved the KU jersey in front of all the UK fans!!

Rock Chalk EJ

Bear86 3 years, 9 months ago

Looking forward to watching the Hawks live tonight. The Jayhawk nation will be out in force! Do not underestimate this team. Cal played KU extremely close last year in Lawrence. The Hawks are good but young. We do not have a Sherron (yet/Selby will come around) Cole or Xavier to lead a team into Hostile territory. Rock Chalk!! F-Texas!!!

AsadZ 3 years, 9 months ago

Changing the subject a bit, I watched USC/TN game last night and while USC won the game by 1 pt they did not look like the team that showed up to play on Sat at AFH. Their leading scorere, double-double stud, fouled out with 4 points. They were not very effective in their insdide game were heavily relying on jump shots and outside bombs. Similar comparison can be made against the UCLA team that came so close to winning against KU at AFH but lost the following home game to a much inferior team. This leads me to believe a) KU did not play very well in these home games b) Teams are giving their very best when playing at AFH against KU. With KU's home streak being at #1 in the nation, I think its a combination of both of these points with special consideration on point #2. Every team that is coming to AFH has a goal to beat the streak. In his post game interview, USC coach also made a statement that someone will break the streak some day. At that time I was curious to see why he made the specific comment about the streak when no reporter had commenetd on it. He was thinking about it and must have used it to pump up the team. At the same time I also get a feeling that KU players have this streak in their minds and are playing with the attitude of not to lose at home rather than playing to Win. Comments!

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

I second that emotion, AsadZ & ralster.

Doug LeMoine 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh for crying out loud, Gary! Berkeley is within sight of SF! They're maybe two miles apart, as the crow flies. I guess you did your research on Google Maps? Note: The two cities are directly across the Bay from each other. 14 miles? Only in a car, and only if you're driving from southern SF to northern Berkeley.

Also, like KGPhoto said, only call it "'Frisco" if you want to be seen as a dumbass.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually you should follow your own advice and check Google Maps. 14 miles is about the right distance between Downtown Berkley and Downtown San Francisco; the Bay Bridge alone is about 5 miles long. By the way, "Frisco" is how you refer to the city when you want to pi$$ off a native San Franciscan...maybe this is what Bedore had in mind?

kushaw 3 years, 9 months ago

hey, find a new avatar. This one is accounted for.

Doug LeMoine 3 years, 9 months ago

Umm, yeah. That's what I was saying: Google Maps says that the driving distance from Berkeley to SF is ~10 miles. That's why I said "I guess you did your research on Google Maps." Even the most rudimentary investigation would have steered Gary to a better description of the proximity of the two cities: "a stoner's throw across the Bay," or something like that. Anyway, I think you give Gary too much credit on his "Frisco" reference. Anyone who uses Frisco had better be an 87-year old former pipefitter, or Yosemite Sam. Everyone else should use the proper name: "San Fran-f*ing-cisco."

Avatar high jacking!

How 21st Century!

SDSurferFan 3 years, 9 months ago

Surprised there isn't more Pullen Kstate banter going on.

I really wish I knew how it went down with Pullen and Kelly. Did they roll into Dillards and the clerk said, 'don't worry, your money is no good here?' Or "wow, kstate guys, i'll give you 70% off?'

Don't know the latest, but seems like an excessive punishment. Selby rcvd $5k+? Got 9 games? A few pairs of jeans and a button down and you get three games? Big blow to their team as they lost to UNLV last night, which was basically a home game. That could ultimately cost them a seed or two come selection time.

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 9 months ago

What I read in a KCStar article was that both players were allowed to take more merchandise than what they had paid for. The NCAA new the exact amount for Pullen so they gave him the three game hit. The NCAA is still unclear of the amount over that Kelly was allowed to take hence not knowing how many games for him yet. I would assume that the store was not a National chain like Dillards but rather a local owned business but I could be wrong.

ParisHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

From what I read during the Selby agony, there is a hard $1000 limit. If you mess up over $1000, it's 9 games (happened to Darnell Jackson and Selby for similar amounts). If it's less than that, there is more leeway since John Wall only lost one real game I believe. I imagine Pullen as a "veteran" was expected to know the rules by now.

Hank Cross 3 years, 9 months ago

I liked the "Frisco"reference. Nothing spins up the NorCals quicker. For further fun, when they talk about the City by the Bay, ask them, "Which bay, San Diego or Santa Monica?"

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Go suck on a blow dryer always works for Socsl and Low cal. :-)

Or...

Hey, how many days did it take you to get to work today?!

Or...

LA, the world's largest suburb.

Or...

Oxnard, it sure beats Azusa.

Or...

Oxymoron n. def. Socal culture

Or...

Orange County, where pricks with blow dryers go to raise children

Or...

The San Fernando Valley, card board skies with bus exhaust that is cleaner than the air.

Or...

Herpes Beach, where the sun meets the blisters.

Or...

Naples, where you can still get a mob job.

(Note: actually, I heart LA. I just heart Bagdad by the Bay more.)

REHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I've an 87 year old neighbor who spent his late twenties working in the Bay area. I rang him up to catch his take on the San Francisco nomenclature from a midwest viewpoint. I asked, "Didn't you spend some time working out on the West Coast when you were a young pup?" His reply: "Yeah, I was a pipe fitter out in Frisco." HA!

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, well. He was a pipe fitter. He probably lived in Hayward.

People say it sure, they just don't let those people in the cool bars and restaurants.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

But honestly it's not about arrogance. It's about a sense of respect. And it's about not being lazy. I mean, who the hell got Frisco out of San Fransisco? It makes no sense at all.(see quote above) Would you really want everybody calling your hometown, say Kansas City, KasMo just because they were too lazy to pronounce 4 syllables?

You want a stranger nicknaming your hometown for you without knowing anything about it? No. Because it's disrespectful.

The people it irritates, like me obviously, are pissed at the laziness, and the presumption that it's okay to do this.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

There are persons and media outlets that call KU Kansas University instead of The University of Kansas.

These are the same sorts of persons and media outlets that call San Francisco by the name Frisco.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

If Selby starts for Tyrel, I would like to see him get 3 assists, even 1 strip, and cut his TOs from 4 to I.

Oh, and is Vegas giving odds on Josh going 5 for 8 again from trey in his college career? :-)

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Because we ought to kill them, raster, there is a significant chance Self will not amp them even a little, let them go out flat, and say go find a way to win it yourselves. If he does, it means Self thinks the team is ready to take the next step.

If he gives them a lot of help from the bench and some wrinkles, then he thinks the team is still a ways away from integrating Josh and needs to be nursed by him awhile longer.

kesmithstl1 3 years, 9 months ago

I hate the late start! I want to see Selby slash and drive tonight. I think 3 pointers are fascist! Any geek off the street can hit a 3! You got to be handy with the rock if you want to impress me!

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 9 months ago

the USC game was at 11am central time.... pretty early for the west coasters.... today's game is just the other side of the coin.

and i dunno about the 3 pt facist thing.... i like nailin em.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

I think you are going to get your wish and see "Josh the Ripper" tonight. It is statistically likely that he will have a bad night from trey, because going 5-8 the lat game and because of unfamiliar rims.

And I think he is going to be devastating going to the rim.

Brian Powell 3 years, 9 months ago

Anyone else see that coach Brown left the Bobcats??

@kirkflow, yes there will probably be a link. check in to the game blog when it starts...

dynamitehawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Berkeley.... Now there's a place with some hippies. I was scouting Cal, and found some things that make me not want to hate it. For example, Cal has classes on both The Simpsons AND South Park.

How cool is that?

Also, they used to use live bears rather than a mascot at sporting events. I wonder if they spray painted them gold?

Sounds like a decent place.. Wake up with your hippies buddies, go to South Park class, and then spray paint some bear cubs on football Saturday.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Telegraph Ave. by campus remains one of the great college streets in the world.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

Somebody needs a nap. Or do you just need to take a poop?

Ron Franklin 3 years, 9 months ago

if brady was your son, would you still call him a failure?

lbranchcrew 3 years, 9 months ago

Well since you respect Knight's opinion so much... Maybe Brady just needs a little Knight/Mangino "hands-on' coaching for him to come up to your standards.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 9 months ago

I am shocked. Appalled. Read what Momanfan2015 said .. Brady is "the man." You do not have a true appreciation for BStar. And you certainly don't understand the game, KU basketball, or coach Self. BStar busts his butt for those 5 points a game in a way no one else does. He's the hardest worker on the team. He leads by example. Ever heard of "glue?" This guy is more glue, than .. well .. anyone ever. The prince of glue. The glue-king. Man-O-Glue (if he were a horse). And have you ever seen anyone pass that ball around the perimeter as cleanly as the BStar? Smooth as silk. 50 years ago, baby, you're watchin' Cousy. Hater .. that's all you are .. a hater. What I love (or lust) most about BStar is that he can really, really feed the post. He lines up perfectly, sights in his target, then, when isolated on the wing, throws that perfect pass into Kieff. Bam .. another assist! No one else really does that effectively. You obviously have no appreciation for that and the lift it provides this team. Most of all, and what you don't understand, is that BStar's accomplishments are those that no one on the bench can even aspire to such heights. Innate ability is the best way to put it. Intangibles. You know, those accomplishments and contributions that can't be measured by mere mortals.

Heck, no team can win without "glue." Coach Self likes this guy for some reason, and he knows more than all of us .. combined. As a basketball coach for KU, Self has become as near perfect as any human being could be. Are you smarter than coach Self? Do you know more than him about basketball or his players? I didn't think so, so shut-up about the Bstar. Look, I know what you're thinking .. I must be saying the logic on who should play has nothing to do with stats. That it has nothing to do with potential. That it really has nothing to do with talent, or that it has nothing to do with the ability to score. It has to do with who makes this team better. We don't need another offensive weapon on the court when others are struggling, or to threaten the defense. And buddy, there is just no debating it .. don't you dare, hear me? Bstar makes this team better every minute he's on the court. How can you not see that? You ignore his defense. His mere presence as the "shut-down" defender can cause an opponent's offensive game plan to shift immediately. And the way he helps on defense. I mean, have you ever seen anyone else do that? Please, tell me when .. youtube video, please?

Jack Wilson 3 years, 9 months ago

To finish up, I have to say, your comment that "Brady is not scoring any points to speck of .." is outrageous. He scores only when wants .. and what in sam-hades is a "speck of"? And I have to take issue. There is no way that Reed is 6 times the player Brady is as you say. 3 or 4 times .. maybe. But 6? That's a clear exaggeration. Reed's sister, though, is hot. May we agree on that?

Anyway, I suggest you find another site to promulgate your hate. I would suggest that your comment be removed as hate speech. Nazi! Watch the game tonight. Watch Brady's moves on the court and you'll appreciate what I appreciate. No, not his cute legs .. but his glue.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh Crap...here we go again!

Rebuttle?

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

np- I could sense the sarcasm, understood everyword because I am an Idealogue? An old fashioned calling out and it worked too.

Kye Clark 3 years, 9 months ago

The only thing that would have made this funnier is if you would have sprinkled in the word "ideologue" a few dozen times!

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

Did I mention that I was an ideologue or idealogue or whatever it may be?

Truthhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Just an observation, Jaybate .. it doesn't look like the post had anything to do with Brady. Get it?

ajhk 3 years, 9 months ago

Nice post. Though some of that could be directed at what I've said before, still funny. Hate to say but a good counter by Bate below (too lazy to push out the first syllable.) Maybe I'll refer to him as FriscoBate for now on. I think I speak for all when I say I hope that you carry on about Brady while FriscoBate does the same with his ideologues. Fight...Fight...Fight...Fight.

Anyone else? ...No? ...No takers?

Taking a neutral observational position, can someone tell Jayhawkinnebr he did not just suffer a 1000 word attack? Maybe he knows?

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

His colon is apparently always impacted. There is a rumor that he dated an unshucked ear of corn, but it is only a rumor. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

HEM, my boy, you are binging on Brady again. When you recover consciousness in a few days in some skid row for ideologues, post to me and I will send some one from Ideologues Anonymous and he will put you through the DT...you know...6 days of no anti Brady ideology. He'll get you through the sweats and vomiting. I'll clean the blown chow off your face and you will wash the excrement off yourself and we will take the first step toward ideological sobriety again. You are on one of your mean ideological drunks today. Everyone knows it. We love you. Try not to hurt yourself with sharp objects, while this binge lasts. You already appear to be blacking out part of the time. I forgive you. See you when you sober up in a few more days. One day at a time, HEM, one day at a time.

:-)

Greg Lux 3 years, 9 months ago

This game will be won or possible lost in the first 10 minutes ... If we come out and defend, rebound and keep our turnover down we should win this game easily. If we show the same carefree attitude we have played with lately we will struggle to win ... Let's hope we see the real Jayhawks tonight.

Rock Chalk

Brian Powell 3 years, 9 months ago

Texas leading MSUck, at state. always enjoy a Spartans loss..

I said KSU and MSU were way overrated preseason, and now we see why. they were just riding last year's ending..

kck_12 3 years, 9 months ago

So...... does anyone know if the game is going to air on Direct tv or am i jus s.o.l.??

Kye Clark 3 years, 9 months ago

Ugh...not seeing the game listed on the link someone provided above. Looks like it's going to be a late night at the bar for ict

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

I've looked everywhere, but I know there's some link that can be accessed...anyone? Please provide a link if known!

WilburNether 3 years, 9 months ago

Stupid foul by Morningstar, approximately 85 feet from the Cal basket. Not surprising.

WilburNether 3 years, 9 months ago

Two -- not one, but TWO -- elbows thrown by Marcus Morris. The second was blatantly flagrant. He was ejected, and should have been. What a STUPID-STUPID-STUPID play. This is absolutely disgusting.

WilburNether 3 years, 9 months ago

And now a stupid technical foul by Morningstar. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. Sit him down on the bench and keep him there.

The stupidity our team has displayed tonight is beyond belief. Self needs to knock some heads when they get back to Lawrence.