Tuesday, December 21, 2010

KU basketball assistant coach Kurtis Townsend familiar with Cal

Townsend worked for Golden Bears from 1993 to '97

Kurtis Townsend knows all there is to know about University of California basketball, having worked as a Golden Bears’ assistant coach from 1993 to ’97.

His pick for the best player in school history should come as no surprise.

“Jason Kidd, no question,” Townsend, Kansas University’s seventh-year aide, said of the 10-time NBA all-star who currently plays for the Dallas Mavericks.

“Kevin Johnson was very good. Lamond Murray and those guys who won a national championship (1959, NCAA runner-up in 1960) under coach (Pete) Newell, but that was a different era,” added Townsend. He coached point guard deluxe Kidd just one season — Kidd’s second and final season — at Cal.

Kidd, whose freshman year ended with a Sweet 16 loss to KU in St. Louis, did not play all his home games at 11,877-seat Haas Pavilion, site of Wednesday’s 10 p.m. nonconference clash between the Jayhawks (10-0) and Bears (6-4).

“We played mostly in the (Oakland) Coliseum to accommodate the larger crowds that Jason helped attract,” Townsend said. “Their current arena was once called Harmon Arena. They remodeled it and tried to do what we did with Allen, keep the traditional feel of the building, but make it more modern. It’s really a nice facility.

“They won it (Pac-10) last year, so I’m sure the crowds have gotten better. My last year, we went to the Sweet 16, but didn’t win the league. We had good crowds but didn’t sell out every game. Stanford, UCLA … games like that we’d sell out.”

Haas Arena should be loud as ever Wednesday with the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks in town and Cal coach Mike Montgomery seeking his 600th career victory (against 270 losses).

“He is an unbelievable coach,” Townsend said of Montgomery, now in his third year at Cal. He’s also coached college at Stanford (18 years) and eight years at Montana, to go with two seasons with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

“He’s a good recruiter and a heck of a defensive coach. He has a nice little system that’s worked nicely for him,” Townsend said. “He had great teams at Stanford and went to the Final Four there. I like him a lot as a person and respect him a lot as a coach.”

The Bears, who have averaged 7,611 fans in six home dates, own a 4-2 home record, with losses to San Diego State (77-57) and Southern Miss (80-78) to go with wins over Cal State-Northridge, New Mexico, UC Davis and Cal Poly. The Bears are led by 6-8 junior Harper Kamp (13.1 ppg) and 6-3 junior Jorge Gutierrez (12.6 ppg).

“It’s just a great institution,” Townsend said of Cal. “The academics are really good. It’s a beautiful area. It doesn’t get much better than Berkeley. My memories were fond because it’s the first job I ever had in college. It was a dream come true for me to coach at that level. With that and being pretty good, it was nice. Of course, it was home for me.”

Townsend grew up in the Bay Area. He came to Cal from Willow Glen (Calif.) High School.

“It’s going to be great to be back,” Townsend said. He and the Jayhawks arrived early Monday evening. “I love it back there. It’s one of the prettiest places in the country to live. The weather is always good. There’s a lot to do. It will be great to see some family and friends.”

Any seafood dining recommendations for fans?

“Scott’s Seafood in Jack London Square. Kincaid’s is a place we’ll eat at,” he said of the restaurant in Oakland the Jayhawks flocked to at 7 p.m. Monday. “The absolutely best for me is Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco because it’s so fresh, and they catch it every day.”

Selby honored: KU’s Josh Selby on Monday was named Big 12 rookie of the week. Selby scored 21 points and hit the game-winning shot in Saturday’s 70-68 victory over USC. He finished 5-of-11 from the field, 5-of-8 from three. Selby became the first KU freshman to earn rookie of the week accolades since Xavier Henry was named three times last season. Khris Middleton of Texas A&M was named player of the week.

Taylor up for Cousy Award: KU junior Tyshawn Taylor is one of 66 candidates for the Bob Cousy Award, which goes to the country’s top point guard. Big 12 guards on the list: Taylor, A.J. Walton (Baylor), Alec Burks (Colorado), Diante Garrett (Iowa State), Jacob Pullen (Kansas State), Michael Dixon, Phil Pressey (Missouri) and Keiton Page (Oklahoma State).

Comments

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats to Selby on what I hope is the first of many awards to come!

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Hoping Selby will be up for awards appears to be like Hoping that it snows in Wisconsin.

Kevin John 3 years, 10 months ago

Lets make a lasting impression on some Future Bay Area Recruits.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

martyks 3 years, 10 months ago

eh, for the most part, CA kids are soft.

Kevin John 3 years, 10 months ago

Tell the to Gary "The Glove" Payton. LOL

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 10 months ago

Jerrod Haase, Adonis Jordan, Paul Pierce, ...

Bill Skeet 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the background info on K Townsend. I lived a block from Willow Glen High 10 yrs ago and still live nearby... Go figure..

Looking forward to the Cal game! I'm expecting it to be sold out and loud because they are pounding my mailbox and email with Cal Basketball propaganda ("There's no place like Haas") ever since I bought the tickets.

Greg Lux 3 years, 10 months ago

Heres hoping he sets a record for winning that and other awards every week of the season. That would be sweet... Nice to dream at Christmas time. Its the kid in me I guess .. :-)

Rock Chalk

Kent Wells 3 years, 10 months ago

Best player in Cal history:

Jerrod Haase

Sorry, I'm a homer. Especially if you count his numbers at KU! And he's an author. What did Kidd write? Other than a confession to the Phoenix police?

How about Jason Kidd as runner up?!?

Viggo3003 3 years, 10 months ago

I've been to a few games when KU plays in that area. I'll bet KU fans represent 50% of the crowd.

Robert Brock 3 years, 10 months ago

Montgomery is a good coach but this Cal team is empty this year. The only way Cal can keep the score down is to play a lot of zone and try to keep the number of possessions as low as possible. Otherwise, I have KU with 102 points and Cal 46.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 10 months ago

I thought the same thing. I guess if there are 66 candidates at this point in the year it's more telling if you're not a candidate. I have a feeling as they continue to trim the list Taylor will stay on for a while and some of the other Big XII players will drop off. I'm sure Pullen will remain on the list as well, even though he has struggled some.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

It would be nice to see a lot of KU fans there. Also, like up4par2000 said, make a good impression on bay area recruits. This will be my first game watching Selby (missed the last game). So he!! ya, I am excited to see this game. Rock Chalk!

REHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice to hear from and about Coach Townsend. Thanks for the interview and focus of this article, Gary.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 10 months ago

Cal has a feisty pony-tail wearing guard that will be good for the guards to get experience from. He is the type of mid-major guard that plays with a lot of passion and energy. The types of guards that will their teams to victories over top programs.

I expect KU to win by 25.

I would be shocked if Mr. Selby does not start. I am looking forward to seeing him take it to the basket. If both he and Tyshawn implement that as a consistent part of their arsenal then KU will begin to achieve its potential.

jebloom22 3 years, 10 months ago

"Bobcats recall G Collins from D-League" 12/21/10

Way to go Sherron! 18 pts/8 assists on 12/17.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 10 months ago

Bobcats need Sherron. The Hinrich led Wizzards clobbered them last night.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 10 months ago

If we win against Cal this weekend...do we get to take the PAC 10 trophy?

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

[Note: Just following up with ict's (and indirectly HEM's) continuing stubbornly ideological responses from recent days.]

Hi, my name is ict.

What contradicts my ideologies, I deny, or ad hom.

Poor, Dr Roach.

He hardly ever agrees with jaybate (he might even dislike jaybate) and here you try to smear him by calling him jaybate-lite. :-)

Did I say you are an ideologue, ict?

I'm not sure. I'm doing a juggling act for fun here. It is called juggle the ideologues. So: I get you and some of the other ideologues confused sometimes, because of the sameness of the rhetorical processes of ideological discourse: I am right and no amount of fallacies in logic and notations of misparsed data sets, and even professional expertise (as in a coach with an 82% winning share) can sway me. Nope. I started right. I must be right. I am right. Therefore, you are wrong. And to show my generosity of spirit, well, I will give the appearance, but not the reality, of prudence by saying even coaches like Self are imperfect.

What you didn't say that? HEM said that? Oh, my gosh, I have contrived a situation where I can demonstrate non-ideological behavior. Maybe I goofed. :-)

Be that as it may, let me repeat it again.

You are an ideologue, ict.

And, no, ict, calling you an ideologue is not an ad hom, or name calling. It is naming. It is accurately describing your observable behavior. It is like calling someone who studies music history a music historian. It is simply an accurate description of your observable activity.

I could also say: ict argues ideologically most of the time on this site.

That would be an adverbial use of ideologue and so would not even be naming you, it would just be describing your actions.

Feel better?

I thought not.

Ideologues never feel better except with agreement. Otherwise, they feel like they are banging there head against the wall, when denying credible challenges by aliases and ad homming poor, innocent aliases, like, say, DrRoach.

Regardless, you still come out of the analytic wash as an ideologue.

imzcount 3 years, 10 months ago

Why bother to reply to someone with narcissistic personality disorder?

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

imzcount,

Under the uncertain, but hopeful, assumption that you are referring to the ideologues, rather than to me, I will answer your question as authentically as I can.

My reason for replying is that I am fascinated by the impacts of indeologues on interpersonal relationships, communities, governments and interenational relations the last 20 years that I have been fascinated enough to observe and contemplate them.

Considering they appear often a relatively small percentage of the population, they seem to gain significant profiles and impacts on public discourse some what out of proportion to their numbers and to the merits of their often utterly misguided ideologies.

My favorite recent examples of ideologues are the Neocons in the Republican Party and Neolibs in the Democratic Party. The Neocons, particularly the Vulcans and chickenhawks prominent among them, were able to start and botch two wars, premised on baldly refuted ideologies of international relations and military strategy, and then broke every rule in the book to sustain them against all sound, logical arguments to the contrary, and have now even managed, with the help of their Neolib enablers in the Democratic Party, to perpetuate their ideologies and the perpetually failing policies animating them across both Republican and Democratic administrations. It is utterly remarkable, when you stop to think about it.

But it is not unusual in history. Again and again in history, ideologues ascend to great influence and then, if allowed to habituate long enough, bring themselves and their communities/states/nations to horrible ends.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

It is as if there were a dynamic that draws ideologues forward precisely to ruin things, so that some succession of power can occur. Hitler, though remembered largely by historians for his heinous deeds, was nothing if not an ideologue. Read anything written about him by most of his generals and you will see they all viewed him as a hopeless ideologue destined to ruin the German military sooner or later, regardless of his impressive early victories using pre-emptive attack.

Look at the right wing ideologues among great industrial families that married themselves to the idea of fascism being preferrable to Marxism, under the bogus and self serving assumption that republican representative government was not a viable alternative.

Look at certain left wing ideologues that married themselves to Marxism and Leninism and defended them to the bitter end despite the pogroms, and the psychiatric hospitals, and the Siberian slave labor camps, and so on.

Look at many ideologue economists that insisted on not regulating derivatives and their insurance contracting, even as first the real estate markets, then the stock markets, and then the international monetary system melted down as a result. These guys still don't want regulation of markets to ensure healthy competition. Insane, but they are still arguing for unregulated markets, after their policies lead directly to disaster of epic proportions.

I figure an internet community, in this case a sports web site, is a fresh and possibly revealing realm to explore the behaviors and influences of ideologues within an onliine community.

It can't hurt to think about them. :-)

PVJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Ouch! "Jaybate lite" may be the quintessential reproach!

:-)

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

And i have not come at this ideologically. I have done my duty as a duly diligent board rat. I have "explored" the issues you have advanced, even when it was pretty self-evident that you were wrong about these issues. I have read and read and read and read and read, and found little in your positions that cannot be persuasively refuted, regardless of whether a better explanation can be yet be found.

"I've been beating my head against the wall with another poster, Dr. Roach."--ict

Of course you have been beating your head against a wall, ict. You almost always beat your head against a wall, unless someone agrees with you. That is what ideologues do.

Note a sterling difference between what you and I do. I am often altered sharply in my thinking by what board rats say. Some particularly pithy board rats can change my mind in an instant.

Why can't you most of the time?

I'm not a genius. I am constantly confronted with mysteries I cannot understand, or figure out without the help of board rats here. I learn from so many here. I learn from those that agree with me frequently and from those that disagree with me frequently.

So: Why do I learn so little from you and HEM?

I kept asking myself that question.

Finally it hit me.

You and HEM are ideologues. I almost never learn anything from ideologues, except about how ideologues act.

It is a dead give away.

When you are not learning something from someone, assuming both evidence reasonable levels of IQ, one or the other of you is probably an ideologue.

I quickly ran an litmus test for ideology on myself. I always suspect myself of flaws first. It is part of my protestant self flagellation tendencies. :-)

Do I give up positions, when others expose mine as wrong? Yes. Am I sad I was wrong, but grateful to know the truth? Yes. Do they ever do so? Yes. Are the only persons I admit are right, when I am wrong, allies of mine? No. Do I start from givens that I insist are unimpeachable? No. Do I pit myself against professionally trained experts with good track records and then argue that they are not perfect and insist they are consistently wrong over long periods of time? No.

Well, I said to myself, if I'm not an ideologue, what about ict and HEM? Could they be?

Eh, I think you already know the answer to that. :-)

Anyway, ideologues substitute staying on their impeached thinking for new thinking. No one knows why ideologues occur, any more than they understand why geniuses, or mass murderers, occur.

But ideologues exist as surely as little green apples do.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

An honest description of you in terms of your observable actions (posting) and of HEM, is only fair. It removes the clouds of discourse with you. It helps make you more understandable to me and to others. You should be thanking me for doing so. Many probably knew you were an ideologue before I began pointing it out, and they probably just say, 'yeah, well, geez, jaybate, you're just mastering the obvious." But there are a few board rats who seem simply confused by you, sometimes even hurt. I am hopeful that my efforts to call attention to your apparent mind set and approach to posting and interactions will help them come to be comfortable disagreeing with you and not expecting you to respond rationally to reasoned arguments. I am hopeful they will come to expect your ideological responses and be tolerant, but not so defensive they stop posting. We need them more than we need you for the discourse to remain vital.

Unlike some close minded folks say reflexively, I don't want you to stop posting. Unlike ideologues, I don't care how long you post, or how short. I want to use you and HEM as constant reminders of how ideologues apparently think and observably act. You are invaluable to the site, if understood and viewed as your actions appear.

I kind of like to study human nature, and over the years have had to learn to recognize various personalities in groups and on committees and at parties, and so forth. I am not alone in doing this. It is a typical activity for persons with normal brain function operating in competitive and/or cooperative environments. I say get to know those you must interact with, so you can move toward the positive and be the most effective person you can be for yourself, your family and your community.

As I mature with age, I more and more realize that among the most positive acts a civilized human being can do is to recognize and point out ideologues to any non-ideologues within ear shot, or eye sight.

It wouldn't be being honest, if I didn't say you and HEM were ideologues.

And I'm not telling you, or HEM, out of any Quixotic expectations that you will change. You are a sports ideologue, ict (and to reiterate, no, this is not name calling, this is an accurate descriptor). It doesn't matter how many times what you say is contradicted by logic and facts and relevant data sets. It does not matter how many times someone points out a more fitting hypothesis, or even says "I don't have the right answer but I'm sure you're wrong." You just won't give up your wrong headed notions unless a more fitting hypothesis builds on your wrong-headed notions. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Ol' ideological ict just carries on repeating the same mistake. You just carry on pre-emptively attacking and invading territory for the same ideological reasons that you are unable to doubt, or question, because they are premised on ideological thinking. You and HEM are, like so many ideologues--impervious to reason and in denial about outcomes contradicting your expectations. Let me repeat that: you are often impervious to reason and often in denial about outcomes relative to your expectations.

Not much in the way of logic, or valid data sets, or fitting methodologies of analysis compells you away from one of your self-evident assumptions you view incorrectly, as ideologues are want to do, as a priori facts. Nothing really makes you doubt your point of view. Not even the professionalism of a successful coach. Not revealed fallacies in your thinking. Not revealed misuse of data sets. Not errors in your methodologies, formal or informal. Nothing changes you, except someone building on what you are already wrong, or right about.

So why would ol' jaybate waste his time writing long about this?

That's easy.

I'm just using you and HEM as examples of ideologues in public discourse, because you make good case studies that will help board rats learn to recognize ideologues in all walks of life. I am trying to help this board get better.

Ideologues and their ideologies are mostly anathema to reasoned and thoughtful discourse about issues.

But ideologues are a fact of life. They are among us. But they are people, too. They deserve compassion and they deserve to be included, like everyone else does.

So: the only solution I have found to be both compassionate and inclusive is to alert folks in a community to what they are dealing with, so that they can include them and defend themselves from the irrational, aggressive aspects of ideological behavior.

Trust me ict (and HEM), if you were not ideologues, you would probably recognize instantly what I am writing and trying to do here.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

It is nothing personal. I would have commented in the same fashion upon anyone that happened along. Ideologues like you and HEM surface in all fields of endeavor and discourse.

Board rats benefit from learning about all types of aliases.

Unlike you two, I do not mind how long or short you post, though I must say you are getting positively jaybateian in the length in many of your posts. Of course, you know that is not a smear, because I like myself, as much as I like others. :-)

Nor do I feel I am beating my head against a wall when playing and working out with you here in the logonasium.

I have no problems with you being here and ask only that you try to get better at overcoming your ideologies, when and if you can.

I even like you two ideologues, but suspect I would like you even more, if your ideologies did not so limit the mutual benefit of discourse.

You two are so impoverishing yourselves regarding discourse.

But I for one love you both.

Getting to know aliases is part of the beauty and the pain of interactivity.

Rock Chalk!

PVJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I nominate Jaybate as King of the EXTreme Posters.

:-)

bikemanbc 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey lucky fans,

I will miss being at the game in person, but enjoy the Bay Area! I have called two places home in my life.....Lawrence and Berkeley.

Sea food is great as written up here. In Berkeley for coffee it's Peets! For pizza its worlds best- Zachary's.

Go Hawks!!

danmoore 3 years, 10 months ago

Best Beer - Triple Rock Best Hot Dog - Top Dog Best BBQ - Flints (might actually be in Oakland)

Bill Skeet 3 years, 10 months ago

I grew up in Lawrence and have spent more than a decade searching for BBQ in the Bay Area... there is no place here that deserves the label "Best BBQ". I will try Flints, but I'm skeptical to say the least.

If I want real BBQ, I either 1) cook it myself (with imported sauces from KC) or 2) ship the real stuff from KC. The latter is increasingly hard to do..

Now, if you want to talk about culinary diversity-- the Bay Area is most impressive.. As good as any place in the world. But it just doesn't have authentic BBQ.

danmoore 3 years, 10 months ago

No argument but Flints is pretty good. Food reminded me of Gates.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 10 months ago

My buddy and I are going to be in Haas so hopefully the place is packed with KU fans...

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Two things:

1) The avatar is awesome

2) Give us feedback on Thursday on how many KU fans attend. I am curious. In Las Vegas and MSG, KU had quite a few fans. They dominated Las Vegas and Madison Square Garden was swarming with KU fans, however Cuse fans dominated the attendance.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 10 months ago

Will do...amazingly, the tickets were only $35 and a person could still get tickets for the game a month after they went on sale.

Last time KU was out here (in the Bay Area) they played at the Oakland Arena versus Cal, the place was still very much pro-KU...complete with a very loud "Rock Chalk" chant...

And as for our Kitty Kat friends...what a bunch of idiots.

Brian Conrad 3 years, 10 months ago

Kat bash. have to love the news out of the rotten apple. Pullen And Kelly taking money. why pullen get only 3 game suspension? obvious KSU fans?backers GIVING monetary items. Selby gets 9 games from someone in NO way connected to KU . Kelly may be out for long time.. KSU falling apart. the toilet is flushing out there in the rotten apple

jhawkrulz 3 years, 10 months ago

My understanding is if it over $1000 than it is a third of the season.

I doubt this was over $1000, but I must say that it should be different for recruits rather than current employees.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

That headline gave me a momentary scare.....I thought they were talking about Calipari!! I was going to tell Coach Townsend to stick to porn stars.

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

Poor, poor Jaybate. So desperate for attention and validation that I see he carried over to this thread what was being discussed yesterday on a different article and was in no way brought up by anyone else but him on this article, that he has to drone on for multiple posts of drivel saying "look at me! Hear me! I'm right! Posters, I'm doing you a service and in return I expect your unconditional and obedient agreement." No I didn't read but the first sentence saying "ict..." and then in scrolling down caught "blah blah blah...ideologue...blah blah blah ideologue...blah blah blah ideologue." For someone who said "How many times do I have to tell an ideologue that just because he says something does not make it so?" yesterday, I would say that just because he says "ideologue" more times than a poster he insulted yesterday (by likening him to a cackling hyena) typed "LOL" , it does not make anyone want to listen to him. Not worth debating him, but worth pointing out his attention-seeking behavior, all in the name of trying to make himself feel self-important.

I fully expect a response something along the lines of "isn't that convenient that you won't debate me. Could it possibly be that you have no logic or rationale to engage in such a debate?", while throwing in the word "ideologue" a few times for good measure. No, it's because as I stated yesterday, in his own mind he has won every debate already, before it even takes place. And all that is left for him is to try and belittle fellow Jayhawk fans.

imzcount 3 years, 10 months ago

ICT, Google "narcissitic personality disorder" and this will illuminate the reason for his behavior. Wikipedia has a good explanation.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Drimzcount,

Have you ever heard of the saying: a little knowledge is dangerous?

Oh, my, you are in a lot of danger. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: inside ict's ideology cloud

Slug: ict sliding deeper and deeper into ideologues rhetorical devices, still not facing up to the fact that EJ doesn't even play the same position that Brady does....

Stringers inside ict's neural nets on joint assignment from the NSA and jns report a tangled mess of ideology and related denial arcing across regions of his brain.

The cortical expeditionary force reports that as ict's attention seeking behavior has reached crisis proportions by projecting same on to jaybate that ict's denial has simultaneously reached such epic proportions that he has resorted to one of the quintessential ideological dodges: jettisoning the facts in dispute, e.g., Brady and EJ don't even play the same positions.

jns stringers confirm that naming ict an ideologue remains a descriptor and not a belittling of jayhawk fans.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

Not sure what insights Coach Townsend might have from his experience '93-97 other than the best restaurants and even that is most likely dated.

PVJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

HighEliteMajor

I am not insensible to the compliment you afforded me yesterday and thank you for it. I hope to occasionally interject something of interest, although perhaps not all of my endeavors have met with universal satisfaction.

It is evident that you, Jaybate, 100, ICT, Kushaw, Oakville, Ralster, and some others seem to have a profound knowledge of basketball, certainly much greater than my own, and I find the debates between you most illuminating and interesting.

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the high praise PVjayhawk. At the moment, based on your assertions ICT and Jaybate are two heavyweights battling it out. I get stuck battling the featherweight of Anthonyzal when he shows up every 4 months. :). Good stuff PVJayhawk!

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

kushaw,

Tisk, tisk. this is not a battle. This is an intervention. :-)

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

By the way, you did make me accountable for the "Insider" information so I thank you for that.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

PV---I would like to think I would be included in that group, too! However, I do agree with your last sentence. I, too, enjoy the debates as much as you do.

Rock Chalk.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate: Perhaps this destroys your whole theory. Who knows .. but you state,

"You and HEM are, like so many ideologues--impervious to reason and in denial about outcomes contradicting your expectations. Let me repeat that: you are often impervious to reason and often in denial about outcomes relative to your expectations."

Remember last year. I stated that I never thought TT could become a productive, team first player. I was one of his biggest critics here. This season, in many posts, I have recognized my error and that TT has done something I did not expect. And I did that by keeping an open mind, and reconsidering my opinion. And really, I am a very open-minded person, willing to be proven incorrect in my opinions. I just need evidence to change my mind. Remember, just opinions. There are many things that could occur for me to change my opinion here, and admit I am incorrect.

It would just seem that the opinion itself, that you disagree with, is why you have resorted to this odd discussion. By focusing on this ideologue diversion, which you have conjured up and created, you do nothing but embarrass yourself. But you have also said a lot about yourself at the same time.

I have read ict's posts, agreed, disagreed, etc. He simply makes rational arguments for his position, has a set of beliefs, and appears to form those beliefs based on what he observes.

Relax, my man. This is a discussion about how many minutes a basketball player should play.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

No, of course it does not blow my whole argument. Ideologues are often not ideological about everything. They are like drunks. There are wine drunks, and bourbon drunks, and so on. They are like drug addicts. There are coke heads, and meth heads, and horse tranquilizer freaks and so on.

You are an anti Brady ideologue.

Ideologues always think they can be clever and avoid their condition.

But this, poor boy, is your holiday intervention by jaybate.

Relax, my boy, you are most fortunate to have me looking after you.

I am always relaxed, my boy, especially with an ideologue. :-)

But I will say that publicly recalling mind changing is your first tiny step to an ideology-free life...inspite of your attempt to be too clever by a sixteenth. :-)

Very minor congratulations are in order...the kind that do not give false confidence to an ideologue.

Remember, one day at a time, HEM, one day at a time, and pretty soon you will be doing for ict, what I am doing for you.

Keep doing it and all non-ideologues will will stand and clap for you at the end of each meeting of Ideologues Anonymous.

Oh, but then you back slid into ideological rhetoric and thinking, didn't you? You just could not bring yourself to highlight your previous errors without calling my unmistakeably clear categorization of you and ict as "strange."

Nothing strange about it, HEM, my boy.

Maybe even too much on the nose as they say in Hollyweird.

But this is a start that we can move forward from.

I know you are still in denial, but each time you submit to having your denial exposed, you are moving in the right direction.

Repeat after me: I am HEM and I am a ideologue. I have not yet completed an entire post without an ideological backslide, but I have taken the first small step in what is bound to be a very long, trying, but ultimately life saving journey that my friend jaybate has agreed to hold my hand on as I walk forward taking each day one day at a time. I have put myself in the hands of a higher power, the lord my god, so that I can live free of ideology. I know that if I use ideological arguments even once, I will fall off the wagon and begin to binge on ideology again, as I have up until now. I know it will ruin my posting life again, as it already has. But jaybate has agreed to hold my hand and lead me through the long, arduous journey, as he has been want to do with certain other posters over the years. And since many of these have been turned to a life free of ideology, I too have hope.

What the heck, HEM, my boy, just copy and paste that each day, before you make your other posts. Just see if you can do it without backsliding on the ideological gig.

I love you.

I am here for you.

Always and forever,

jaybate

SDSurferFan 3 years, 10 months ago

I was stoked for Jaybate to comment on my SDSU rant and then he later posted that novel. I think he was telling me, and maybe others, 'shut up about San Diego State, this is a KU site.' It scared and detracted me from ever possibly posting again. Sorry, I'll stay on point.... :)

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll say it again......I want no part of SDSU come tournament time. You happy now SDsurferfan? :)

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

San Diego State plays San Fran and Rex Walters tonight.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 10 months ago

Tight game last night vs Rex Walters team. All I can say is that this is good tourney experience....win games when you don't play well and hit FTs at the end. Really would be a buzz kill to lose to a #191 RPI team before Xmas. Tonight, SDSU vs IUPUI.

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

Just saw this about K-State's Pullen and Kelly:

Undermanned, they lost to UNLV in the Sprint Center. While I'm certainly not shedding any tears over it, the loss will adversely affect KU's RPI. On the plus side, USC went on the road and beat Tennessee, so that helps.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 10 months ago

Ultimately, if our RPI suffers because K-State sucks...I can live with that.

Pluse hopefully they end up losing a few extra games.

Did anyone else hear Dickie V say how Pullen doesn't deserve any of the All-American honors the way he had been playing. He basically said Clemente was the leader of the team and that is showing.

I love the fact that things are unraveling for the Purple headed step child (K-State).

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate wasted a whole post with some fictional quasi-scientific babble about my brain and EJ and Brady not even playing the same position. Guess what? He's right. They don't play the same position generally. I would challenge him to find one place where I suggested playing EJ at the 3. That has never been my position, and he will find no evidence of me saying anything close to that. I have wanted EJ to play more, and have agreed with HighEliteMajor "more or less" about playing EJ more, but that is not me saying "start EJ instead of Brady at the 3". Sometimes Brady has played the 2, and even the point when bringing the ball up the court. There were minutes to be had there. He could take a few of Tyrel's minutes at the 2. Just a few extra minutes at the 2 every game to give him more court time. However, I am not posting to re-hash this same old discussion. No, the purpose is to point out that apparently Jaybate is so lost in his own little world he lost sight of the fact that I have never advocated playing EJ at the 3, and if he (or anyone else for that matter) can find a post where I say that and will point it out to us I will happily admit that I was wrong. Until then, he is simply fabricating my position, which it's pretty easy to convince himself he is right when he apparently has no idea what my position is, instead falsifying my side of a discussion to suit his grandstanding.

And btw, that's pretty offensive to refer to anyone as "my boy" (heck, I was ripped for simply repeating that some posters, not me, refer to Brady as Self's boy). Not that I would expect him to care about being offensive.

imzcount 3 years, 10 months ago

ict, you are experiencing a battle with a narcissist

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

You know, I never suggested EJ start at the 3, either. He simply pulled that out of thin air, inferring it because EJ was compared to Brady statistically. I have advocated playing for brief stretches the 3 guard combo of Selby, TT, and EJ, much like Russell, Mario, and Sherron did .. where they were all combo guards.

Of course, Brady has played the 2 and, for some stretches, the 1, so a comparison is certainly reasonable. Except when you're a Brady-ideologue, I guess. (I actually don't believe that Jaybate is a Brady-ideologue -- as that term is a stupid one to use in this context -- but I couldn't resist).

Kent Wells 3 years, 10 months ago

For goodness sakes you people, STFU! Discuss the article, or at least basketball. I have seriously damaged my track ball avoiding the horse turds laid down on this particular article.

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

It would be nice, I agree, to discuss basketball. However, I can't help but laugh at the paradox of complaining about the lack of conversation about KU basketball on a KU basketball site, and then you not posting anything about basketball :)

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

"I personally think if (in the last 2-3 weeks) you ask EJ to do what Brady does at the 2 or 3...he could do it. Just my opinion, which I will stick with...trying to find ways we could be more 'unpredictable' on offense and start blowing out even decent teams."

You, my friend, must be treading very close to ideologue territory. I may quote you on that ...

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

You're right ralster. For Self there are 2 positions - guards and bigs. Now each player has a different and unique skill set, so while on the floor Self may have them assigned to different roles, but I think Self is a good enough coach that with this team's roster he has enough versatility to mix-and-match the players' roles and find court time for guys like EJ and Releford.

And I think you are also right about the tight leash. Some guys have a shorter leash than others. And when I brought up that Brady has a considerably longer leash than does EJ, some poster snapped at me and said "he's a senior! He's earned the benefit of the doubt!" OK. Fine. But what about Selby? Here's a freshman in game number 1 and he was making defensive mistakes left and right (which is not me bashing on him, it's to be expected). Self had him on a pretty long leash...so much for that "he's a senior having earned the benefit of the doubt" argument. No, it's about talent as much as it is about experience. I would guess that it's also like that in regards to the whole "the best players in practice earn the most minutes" argument. I'd guess if Marcus has a crumby week in practice and Jeff Withey tears it up, we might see Marcus not starting (as we did with Kieff on Saturday), but Marcus would still get his minutes. So at some point Bill Self makes the decision to let talent win out over other factors. Now it's not for me to say what the thinking is on EJ regarding the length of his leash so-to-speak, but it's clearly not just talent, or just experience and trust, or just practice habits. I personally think EJ has enough talent to warrant a little slack and a longer leash, but I'm not the coach. Just one fan's opinion.