Originally published December 20, 2010 at 04:03p.m., updated December 21, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Report: Three-star QB Brock Berglund decommits from Colorado, commits to KU football

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Rampart

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Pamona

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

It turns out there was a Plan B for Kansas University’s football program after all.

One week after missing out on Zack Stoudt, the No. 2-ranked junior-college quarterback in the country who chose Mississippi over KU, reports surfaced Monday that Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback Brock Berglund, a senior at Valor Christian High who originally committed to Colorado, had switched his commitment from CU to Kansas.

The Denver Post’s Ryan Casey reported that Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, was not on board with CU’s plans to change its offense under new head coach Jon Embree, who replaced Dan Hawkins, the man who recruited Berglund.

“Some of the changes in scheme and personnel are clearly different from my recruitment,” Berglund told the Post. “Even though they may be in the best interest of the program, they do not represent the best fit for me personally.”

Berglund continued: “I called coach Embree and explained my thoughts and feelings. I have decided to rescind my verbal commitment to CU and I have decided to verbally commit to the University of Kansas, where I am a better fit.”

Kansas recruited Berglund hard throughout 2010, as both offensive coordinator Chuck Long and cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy — who formerly coached at Air Force in Colorado Springs — were listed as KU’s lead recruiters for Berglund. The relationships he built with them, along with head coach Turner Gill, kept KU at the top of Berglund’s list throughout his recruitment.

“The most important thing’s probably the people.... getting to know the coaches and things like that,” Berglund told Rivals.com’s Jon Kirby in June.

At the very least, adding Berglund gives KU some much-needed depth at quarterback, where KU will retain part-time starters Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb and welcome another three-star freshman, Michael Cummings, next season.

Berglund has talked about graduating high school early and enrolling at the school of his choice in January. If that happens, the best-case scenario could include Berglund stepping in right away as the Jayhawks’ starter.

“Our offense uses me under center and out of the gun,” Berglund told ESPN.com in March. “We use a lot of play-action and run a lot of option through play-action as well. I would say I’m pretty mobile. I’m 205 (pounds) right now, but I think I can get to 210-215 pretty easily. I’m just focused on getting stronger, faster, and increasing my arm strength right now.”

Berglund, who guided his prep team to a Class 4A state title earlier this month, visited KU in June for a seven-on-seven camp. His time in Lawrence gave him a chance to meet with Long, Shealy and Gill. He also toured the football complex, which made a lasting impression.

“I think the facilities here are amazing,” he told Kirby at the time. “I’ve really never seen anything like it. I’ve been to some big schools, and (there’s been) nothing like this.”

Rivals ranks Berglund as the 13th best dual-threat QB in the Class of 2011.

Berglund nearly committed to UCLA this summer, but chose in-state CU over Boise State, Colorado State, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, San Diego State, Tulsa, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.

Comments

Fortesque Beagleton 4 years, 3 months ago

Woot! Finally, some much needed depth at QB. Too bad he'll be a true frosh and unlikely to contribute right away.

100 4 years, 3 months ago

2011 just got a lot sweeter....

The future unnamed KU AD must be grinning somewhere at the massive line coming in next year to go along very nicely with this "getting better all the time" freshmen backfield....

Can't wait to see these big boys working as a unit.

And a 6'4" dual threat QB... What a day for Kansas football.

Great job Coach Gill!!!!

We know there's more surprises coming but thanks for this early Christmas gift.

David Robinett 4 years, 3 months ago

1. I love you man. (in the Budweiser commercial sense)

100 4 years, 3 months ago

We're gonna have to schedule a keg party, all ages between 21-199. Wives invited as long as they're cool with wearing big ugly rings that don't fit their tiny fingers.

This event will happen in January...

2012....

Called the BCS national championship.

If any of our jobs get in the way of this event...

We will also have this event in 2013...

2014...

2015....

Etc.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Brothers!

100 4 years, 3 months ago

Take a look at this kid's tape. He's the real deal. Legitimate dual threat, 6'4". A winner. He chose to be a Jayhawk over being a Sooner.

What team do you root for?

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!

gongs4ku 4 years, 3 months ago

In that he has much in common with our returning qb's, who also are unlikely to contribute right away (or ever).

I hope he starts. He can't be much worse than what we had last year, even without knowing the playbook very well.

100 4 years, 3 months ago

Gong,

Check out the Denver post story in the article above & click on the link for his game film. The guy is 6'4", runs through gaps & passes with extreme precision. That's why Oklahoma & Notre Dame got in on his recruitment at the last minute. Just watch the film & see if you're still saying what you're saying.

Rock Chalk

hawk316 4 years, 3 months ago

Woo hoo! This seems like a great Christmas gift for our football program.

Besides the great recruiting efforts by the coaching staff, it is obvious our new football facilities were an important factor in Brock's decision. For those who like to hate on Lew Perkins, this is another reminder that Lew did accomplish some good things for KU while he was AD.

hawk316 4 years, 3 months ago

Woo hoo! This seems like a great Christmas gift for our football program.

Hawk1969 4 years, 3 months ago

I will when I hear Brock Berglund announce he's coming to KU. Short memory? Wasn't Bubba Cunningham going to be the next AD? And, remember when Harbaugh was slated to coach KU following MM's departure?

Until I hear Brock say "I'm committing to KU" I'll just wait to celebrate.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Seeing as how the Denver Post article has Berglund saying that (rather than the newspaper speculating about him fitting in at KU), it seems to be as much of a done deal as it can be before signing day.

babyjay1 4 years, 3 months ago

Per Rivals, he held an in-depth interview and announced his decision...

MitchumMan 4 years, 3 months ago

If true, he graduates early and will be here in January...

bvrams 4 years, 3 months ago

A runner and thrower that can see over the O-line. Feel like that should work.

100 4 years, 3 months ago

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!

100 4 years, 3 months ago

Hawknhutch: You my friend put the "gene" in genius. Looking forward to meeting you & your genetically predetermined genius family at the BCS national championship in a couple years.

Perhaps your team might even be playing.

Meow.

100 4 years, 3 months ago

That's really strange. Hawknhutch calls our people "morons" (was directly above) & I respond (above) only to see the LJW had removed his comment.

Nice job LJW!

Blake Post 4 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps he is not a hawk at all. Perhaps he is a child of the corn. They know all about being moronic stuff.

Our QBs last year looked awful often. Of course, with a great offensive line, each one does better, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new one in there based on what I have seen.

Right now I am focused on the destruction of nebrasska, rated 115 in rpi in basketball, as they are the traitor redcoats.

rob4lb 4 years, 3 months ago

It is probably best to redshirt and take our lumps next year with the status quo. A quick check of the Rivals website and Berglund is ranked slightly ahead of Stoudt, whom alot of people lamented losing. Berglund did not receive offers from high profile schools (he got offers from UCLA, Utah, and K-State), but this would appear to be a solid recruit. Of course, it's never over until the ink is dry,

yovoy 4 years, 3 months ago

Do you think it's prudent to "take our lumps"? In light of the pessimistic atmosphere created by those that think our team should be better than it is, and that our coach isn't capable enough to put a decent team on the field? I mean are the mal-contents going to force HCTG's hand?

Hawk1969 4 years, 3 months ago

Oklahoma and Notre Dame came in with late offers. But, I agree with you about k-state not being a high profile school.

PJ Karasek 4 years, 3 months ago

reportedly wanted to come to KU for the "option read" style offense that we would like to run. I would have to think that with a dual-threat quarterback and our stable of backs offense might get more exciting here shortly.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

By the look of that picture, I'd say he needs about 20 more pounds to survive the pounding. Hope he looks good in a redshirt, because that is where he may be best served for the upcoming season.

HawkTronic 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm cautiously optimistic - both in terms of 1) this guy actually coming to KU and 2) being able to contribute. If he graduates at semester and is here for the spring and summer, that's a virtual red-shirt. All the teaching is done in the spring anyway. He could be ready to play. Reesing did that - not that his result was normal. And based on history, I'd much rather have a HS guy than an JUCO transfer.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Very good news for us - especially if we can maintain commitments from both him and Cummings.

It still looks like we are in for a very bad 2011 season as our recruits redshirt - but this definitely adds to the hope of seeing a much better KU Football program in 2012, 2013, and beyond.

midhawktx 4 years, 3 months ago

Good news...I would like to know what happened in the coaching change at CU that made this kid change his mind. Good pick up. I'm sure he will compete well and start next year.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

According to his statement, he had a close relationship with the offensive coordinator, but the new coach changed the OC.

oldalum 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he didn't want to play in the Pac10.

2Bnamedlater 4 years, 3 months ago

Lets hope that verbally becomes a written commit. This kid looks good on paper, haven't seen any highlights, but I do like what I have read about him.

Nice going FB coaching staff on going and getting him. Keep up the great work and great things will happen.

Michael Maris 4 years, 3 months ago

To Rob4lbs:

As far as Recruiting issues are concerned. You need to look behind the curtains on some of the schools that you mentioned. UCLA OC is Norm Chow (former OC @ USC, Tennessee Titans). Duke is listed as well (on the schools that were recruiting Brock Berglund. Duke is coached by a QB Coaching Type guy. Just ask Peyton & Eli Manning. So, if David Cutcliffe and Norm Chow are interested in Brock B. Something has to right in the Berglund Camp.

2 years in a Row that Coach Gill & Staff bring in a player with the initials of BB.

Give the staff time, and the JayHawk Football Nation might be happy once again.

smokedturkey 4 years, 3 months ago

Seems to be very skilled, but he also had a great O'line and great RB (McCaffery...yes Ed's son). I hope he pans out.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

We have a fresh o-line coming in with him; we have a good stable of running backs currently; and we add Darrian Miller and Dreamius Smith in this recruiting class.

The problem is that it doesn't mean that it will translate to victories in conference play - especially if we can't fill the stands and create a home-field advantage after three consecutive losing seasons.

Sam Brockert 4 years, 3 months ago

I saw the highlights, his o-line leaked horribly bad. he was running for his life in half of the clips, from the same game.

smokedturkey 4 years, 3 months ago

He was hardly ever pressured all year due to a leaky line. When he is, it is because he chooses to hang on to the ball longer and try to create a play. He was able to in that division, which is one division down from the top division in Colorado.

Jennifer Nikkila Pressgrove 4 years, 3 months ago

McCaffery, a freshman, actually only started to get playing time right before the playoffs.

VAJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I ask, yet again, can we please use the term "verbally commit" in lieu of "orally commit"?

KCHawk81 4 years, 3 months ago

A few dirty jokes aside, "orally" conveys that he has not yet signed anything. "Verbally" provides no such distinction.

Also, welcome to Kansas, Brock!

VAJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

So, a "verbal" commitment is an actual, official, documented kind of thing, but an "oral" is nothing more than a player saying what his intention is? Kind of like when they "verbally" warn me about something at work, yet it still requires my signature. Makes sense...thanks for the clarification. And, I agree...welcome to Kansas, Brock, and thanks for putting an end to your oral with CU!

KCHawk81 4 years, 3 months ago

Not quite--"verbal" can mean either "written" or "spoken." "Oral" can mean only "spoken." In some contexts, that difference is not important--in this particular context, it is. "Verbal" is ambiguous, and is generally avoided by careful writers.

I apologize...September 3rd is an awfully long time away.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

I really don't have anything to add to this. I just wanted to be able to say I commented on the strangest tangent I think I have ever read on this site.

lv_jhwk 4 years, 3 months ago

I had actually wondered if we wouldn't try for the qb from West Virginia who was rumored to be looking at Ole Miss at the same time as Stoudt. Oh well, this will do!

actorman 4 years, 3 months ago

But how's this possible, since Turner Gill is the worst coach, recruiter and human being on the face of the earth?

Where are all the mea culpas from people who said Gill was a horrible recruiter after Stoudt chose to go to Ole Miss?

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

Grow up...and take your name-calling somewhere else.

Bill Kackley 4 years, 3 months ago

Everyone should suggest removal of this redneck bigoted idiot.

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

Apparently, Actorman B squared decided that Turner gill's threats to send him back to die with his homies in st. louis was taken seriously.

Oh wait, that's right.His homies are from Denver. Ok. I musta got confused somewhere.

danmoore 4 years, 3 months ago

He stated after the Hawkins firing that he was committed to the Buffs so I'm cautiously optimistic too. Seems a bit odd there are no comments on the Denver Post story.

Michael Pannacciulli 4 years, 3 months ago

Why would any recruit want to play for Hawkins in the first place? He probably grew up adoring CU, and luckily came to his senses that with Hawkins or the new regime there will be lots of losing also.

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

No comments on the Denver Post story is because people don't really care. I heard on the radio here that CU has had like 0 sellouts in their history, even when they were winning National Championships and Big 12 Championships. Pretty sad really, could you imagine how full Memorial would be if KU ever won a National Championship?

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Ok so I researched more and I will correct myself at risk of someone else correcting me. CU has never sold out every game in one season is what I heard on the radio. Point still valid, my facts were just a little skewed. Here is an article that every Buff fan coming on here posting needs to read and it is written by the guy whom has covered the Buffs for a while:

tdub 4 years, 3 months ago

If someone gave you a million dollars, you'd complain about having to take it to the bank.

Sam Constance 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually, Lew's cigars were just a bunch of tightly-rolled hundos.

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

More proof Mulaza is indeed Lew Perkins.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a great base for a team considering that high school QBs and RBs usually fit into one of these categories: Most athletic players on the team Smartest players on the team * Players on the team that know the game the best

It just would take a while to build up a good o-line and d-line because there is a limit of how much lean muscle a person can add each year - I seem to recall reading it's about 20 lbs per year.

Marc Frey 4 years, 3 months ago

Not too bad. They make some of the best athletes and add speed. You will find many former HS QBs and RBs playing LB and DB.

Ashwin Rao 4 years, 3 months ago

How does this work out? If they are available in January, and the Signing day is Feb, can they practice before they sign?

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually it works out great, especially since we didn't use all our schollies last year. He can count against the 2010 quota - or is that just JuCo players.

Either way, they can start school because they've graduated, and therefore are eligible - assuming they clear all the other NCAA hurdles.

Matt Tait 4 years, 3 months ago

What happens is the student-athlete enters into a financial agreement with the school he has committed to. That agreement is not binding and the kid is not 100 percent tied to the school until signing day in Feb. (This year, that's Feb. 2). But the financial agreement gets him to campus and allows him to enroll in classes, which is a prerequisite for participating in the football program.

I'm sure if a kid backs out after that, the money from that financial agreement would have to be paid back, but once it gets to that point, that almost never happens.

I'm pretty sure the idea of counting against last year's quota is only for the mid-year juco transfers. KU's bringing in one juco player this year, offensive lineman Bo Adams, but he's coming as a walk-on.

d_prowess 4 years, 3 months ago

Matt Tait everyone!! Working for us and KU Football at all hours of the night!

David Lara 4 years, 3 months ago

Matt Tait, you are the 3-star writer who decommited from some other big-time news outfit on the decline and came to join us in jayhawk country to lead our team... er, sports writing staff to new heights. Damngladtahaveya!

Robert Brock 4 years, 3 months ago

This kid is three-star but I am guessing that he is a very high three-star player. I am pleased.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

third highest 3* QB in rivals if I recall correctly

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 3 months ago

Back when this kid committed to CU, I read a little about him. He does look like he needs to gain some weight, but it sounded like he's a pretty good player. I hope so, because the QBs we have sure didn't get the job done this year. Maybe he'll be the answer in a couple years!

boulderbuffan 4 years, 3 months ago

You guys get all excited over a 3 star 4A QB from Colorado. He committs, uncommitts, meets the new CU coach, recommitts now decommitts. You can have him. We want Buffs that want to be Buffs. No more 4th quarter letdowns like we had at your place a month ago.

Go Buffs.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, we can't all have a Cody Hawkins.

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

HOld up.... A one word positive comment from Ahpersemulaza...... Pause, let that one sink in Jayhawk Community.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 3 months ago

Big brother style. Nobody picks on you guys except me.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

I see angels, mama. Bright, beautiful angels.

babyjay1 4 years, 3 months ago

Yea, go Buffs... all the way out of the Big 12! See ya!

Omari Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

This, from a fan of a team with a total of four commitments right now. Your Buffs allowed the 2nd-largest comeback of D-I history, you have enough committed recruits to come to campus together in a Toyota Tercel and still have room, and you're trolling our site with disparaging remarks?! Dude, ask Santa for a life and firmer grasp on reality.

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

Ouch. They would however get EXCELLENT Gas mileage in a toyota Tercel.

vmwskywalk 4 years, 3 months ago

They were trying to fit them in a Smart Car but the QB wouldn't fit.

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

It's funny how Buff fans think they have the same tradition as say Nebraska or Oklahoma or Notre Dame. They don't realize they had a good run but are nothing special.

KGphoto 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually, Buff fans aren't really into sports at all. Gameday is an excuse to get drunk and yell a lot, but they don't live and die with it. Most fans couldn't name more than 3-4 players. They get jazzed up when something big happens, but Boulderbuffan is definitely the exception.

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with you for the most part. However, I am referring to the alumn football players on the radio here in Denver mostly, whom think CU is a storied program. And of course their followers whom call into the show.

kureader 4 years, 3 months ago

How are the grapes? Let me guess ... sour?

milehighhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Just type his name into YouTube and a couple vids pop up.

Highlights from two games come up - he looks very mobile with decent arm strength in both. Not sure about the rest of the talent on the field, but either way - he looks like a playmaker. Couple those abilities and physical attributes with Long & Gill (and young weapons), and we could have a pretty fun team to watch in a couple years!

boulderbuffan 4 years, 3 months ago

We figured out Hawk and sent him packing! Hate to say it but I think that we are better off in the Pac 12 than the Big 12 and I have been a Big 8/Big 12 fan for a long time. Too much $$ in the Texas arena and too much infuence. Heck you guys had to forfeit the money that CU and Nebraska paid the Big 12 in exit penalties just to stay in.

Good thing you have Basketball as it will be a tough road against the Big Tex. Why no championship game. They need to get two more schools.

TCU is a no brainer who else? Notre Dame? Don't laugh it could happen!

milehighhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm writing this from the fine state of Colorado, sir:

CU is doomed in either the Big 12 or the Pac-10. The 90s are gone, and they ain't comin' back. The athletic department is a shambles and lavishes money on sports absolutely no one in the state of Colorado cares about. There is no passion for college sports at all. If you think otherwise, you are deluded or travel in small circles.

Also - on a lighter note - don't see TCU happening because it doesn't bring in any new TV markets. ND would be very nice but feels like a long shot at this point.

boulderbuffan 4 years, 3 months ago

Well that is why we play the game isn't it Hawk. Don't worry we have plenty of Money. Embree has 50 guys committed to $1 million each. Ready Woody Paige instead of this Jayhawk Blog and you will see.

The Buffs will be back. The Lustre Returns and the Buffs dominate the PAC 12. How is your XC Running and Ski team doing. We don't have a BB presense yet but your boy Tad Boyle will change that.

Go Buffs!

hawkalumN2011 4 years, 3 months ago

Well you start the game....but then you quit in the 4th Quarter!!

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

You my friend are inhaling too much second hand smoke in Boulder. The Buffs had a nice decade, but you need to realize alot of teams have good decades. I too live in Denver and it is comical that you can not even sell out your own stadium after winning a National Championship, proof of why the Buffs will never be a true dynasty.

KGphoto 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, but for some reason, high school football is a VERY big deal in Colorado, so there will always be a nice pool of local talent. If they get a decent coach, they will be right back in the mix, sellout stadium or not.

William James 4 years, 3 months ago

"The value of Reesing (was) overinflated." -milehighhawk August 2010

jhawk613 4 years, 3 months ago

Also, TCU is going to the Big East. That was announced weeks ago...

jhawk613 4 years, 3 months ago

and all i had to do was scroll down a quarter of a screen to see someone beat me to it.

meremy 4 years, 3 months ago

Funny that this guy's rationale for thinking this move is a good idea is that they're getting away from Texas. Fact is that Colorado thought they were going WITH Texas to the Pac.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, on the mildly downside, Rivals says Coe committed to Iowa, not that there was a huge chance of getting him to come to KU, but still hope if we can get him on campus with Reggie, Turner & Co.

On the positive front, the highest rated 3* in this class, BB Rivals 5.7, has raised our ranking to #7 in the conference and #41 overall.

truefan 4 years, 3 months ago

Not dogging Coe at all, he is a huge get for Iowa, but we are in the running for Pierson out of East St. Louis and he would be a stud too. He's not a sure fire commit, but we seem to be in a good position with him.

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 3 months ago

I am from Denver and follow high school sports passionately. I know a lot about this kid and I teach near Valor Christian where he attends school. He is a talented player who lead his team to the 4A state title.

When the offensive coordinator at CU was replaced that opened the door for KU because he was the lead recruiter. For the state championship he was 12 for 16 for 280 yards, 3 tds including 1 rushing td, which he ran 13 times for 126 yards.

He is a huge get for us.

kureader 4 years, 3 months ago

Good info, thanks. Let's hope you're right!

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

This makes this class of QB's, RB's, OL either 15th or 16th nationally.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 3 months ago

According to rivals, he's actually heavier and just an inch shorter than Starling. Just for size comparison. I'm just glad we finally have a tall, mobile QB commit.

rastameta 4 years, 3 months ago

But he is by far a much a better passer than Starling. He throws a nice a ball. He was a star at summer camps.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 3 months ago

...and Starling will be throwing curveballs this summer, not footballs.

jhawk613 4 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps there were connecting and since the 15th Berglund has found out they are changing the offense. Which is why he would want to leave.

The kid obviously wants to be allowed freedom to create, be mobile, etc.

texashawk10 4 years, 3 months ago

This is a very good steal by Chuck Long and Vic Sealy. Brock Berglund is a 3 or 4 star recruit depending on where you look and fits the mold of a Chuck Long QB perfectly. He prefers playing in the pocket but has the mobility to buy time which will be big when he first starts, possibly this upcoming season. I hope Gill is patient enough to wait until 2012 to play him though unless Brock is here in the spring. I don't think this changes KU's 2011 season all that much as this group of OLineman isn't that good and I still think this will be a 2-4 win team next season regardless of whose at QB. 2012 is looking much brighter though and should be the year in which to fairl judge the job Turner Gill is doing.

KCHawk81 4 years, 3 months ago

The article says Berglund may graduate in December, so I think there's a good chance he'll be around for spring ball. It'd be great if he's able to redshirt, but mostly because that will mean Webb and Mecham won the top two spots outright. I think the idea is for Berglund to compete for a starting spot in 2011 to give Michael Cummings another year or two to get healthy.

texashawk10 4 years, 3 months ago

If Brock does end up at KU this spring and goes through spring practice, I would expect him to be the starter in the fall because the spring is the main time for learning the system and building chemistry with the receivers. If he ends up not coming to KU until the fall I would rather see him redshirt 2011 because otherwise, I think his confidence would be shattered for the future playing behind OLine KU is going to have out there next season.

Jamaal25Chiefs 4 years, 3 months ago

I like that he runs the same style of offense as us . . . That will help out with his learning a lot. . . his teams ran TONS of bubble screens. . . his arm does seem somewhat weak though from the video i seen. . . but that can be easily fixed over time. . . Gill has a lot of talent coming in . . in the areas we need. . . and that is a good thing. . . Its looking better and better for Kansas. . . It wont be next year that we are good. . . but improved. . . 7 wins at most. . but we will have too play great and have almost no injuries.

actorman 4 years, 3 months ago

"Apparently, Actorman B squared ..."

???

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

That was somethign allegedly that came out of the mouth of the recently Sainted Mark Mangino.... I was being tongue in cheek.

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

Brock Berglund, His name is starts with B and B...... B squared.

Kevin Studer 4 years, 3 months ago

When you need 2 posts to explain your "jokes"....maybe you should give up comedy.

Stephen Johnson 4 years, 3 months ago

I was really down when I heard that Stoudt had commited to Ole Miss. A good quarterback can make an offense look totally different. The coaching staff really saved the day by getting Brock. He is (or will be shortly) the best quarterback on the roster. I remember the difference Reesing made when he stepped onto the field. Well Done HCTG and staff.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 3 months ago

great job by Gill and his staff to land this kid....he looks like a real QB stud. Welcome Brock!

Robert Brock 4 years, 3 months ago

Since Berglund has four years of eligibility he is a lot better than a Plan B. He will grow and develop with the other young studs. We will get better, Folks!

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 3 months ago

He looks good on video and if he becomes a Jayhawk, that's something to get excited about. According to temjay's link, he sounds like he is going to CU. How accurate could that be?

In one of the clips I saw, he was scrambling all over the place---reminded me a lot right there of Todd Reesing.

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

That was right after he first met the new CU staff. What was he supposed to say, he just met them? He met the staff, talked it over with everyone and decided he didn't like the new offense. He did his due diligence and came to the conclusion KU was a better fit. The only curve ball in this is that the kid has grown up as a CU fan, so he could still get talked into morphing into CU new system, but time will tell.

Chris1955 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe Santa came a little early this week.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

troutsee 4 years, 3 months ago

Things are looking up for 2012. I think we started closing the gap over the last few games last year. We should be a heck of a lot more competitive in 2011 but the W's probably won't improve much. But, I'll still be getting my season tickets.

grandpa 4 years, 3 months ago

troutsee: Glad to see you are still alive. My grandson, John, had a good 4 years at KU and enjoyed it, leaving with a good attitude. We enjoyed watching him play as well as the other boys. This new quarterback looks promising. Here is wishing you a Good Christmas and rest of the Holidays.!!!

troutsee 4 years, 3 months ago

And same to you, Grand Pa. Your grandson had a fine senior season considering the weak offense. Here's hoping we get better QB play next year. We should, as both of these guys got valuable experience this year.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

This much ruckus over a stringbean, three star quarterback??

We must suck worse than I thought.

Jayhawk1116 4 years, 3 months ago

If we suck worse than you thought, then you should be happy with a three star quarterback too. Success takes time.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

Point taken.....i shall rejoice with unrestrained vigor at this historic acquiisition. :}

All kidding aside, a year of redshirt and 20 lbs, and this kid could be special.

Jayhawk1116 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree - at least I Hope he's special. And thanks for being cool with my response and not just firing back an insult.

KGphoto 4 years, 3 months ago

Seems like he's just what Chuck Long has been looking for. I like that we will have a QB that can see over the line for once. Maybe he can get it down field to some of those tall WRs.

Plus, Brock Berglund is just a winning name. A real throwback. Right there with Dutch Sternaman, and Tuffy Leemans. A real football name.

Pretty good that he turned down schools like Boise St. and UCLA. But far more interesting timeline-wise that he spurned Tulsa.

beenahawk 4 years, 3 months ago

"Seems like he's just what Chuck Long has been looking for."

Watching the clips from the Rampart game I'd have to agree totally...lots of dink and dunk dumpoffs and out patterns. Throwing those he wont need to see over any lineman.

In all honesty, I think Cummings highlights are much better.

jayhawk154 4 years, 3 months ago

If you watched Rampart then I'm sure you watched Pamona...more throws downfield...with some zest. Also a couple of nice touch throws downfield as well.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm assuming hes not including memorial stadium in this quote? or i hope not... anyway glad hes aboard.

TtownHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably been said, but he's a 4 star on ESPN's ratings.

Al Martin 4 years, 3 months ago

So, jayhawkinnebr, just to check your credibility, I googled ESPN's ratings. It took me a whopping fifteen seconds to determine that ESPN indeed rates him four stars.

Sam Brockert 4 years, 3 months ago

We have 2 QBs and true none are over 3 *s but neither was reesing.

Dale Kroening 4 years, 3 months ago

If I remember correctly Reesing was a 3 star QB and so was Meier. Aquib Talib was a 2 star, so you never really know how players will turn out. Very impressed with what TG and staff has done recruiting with this class. Whats even better is I dont think he's done yet either. Keep bringing them in coach !!!!!!!!!

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

dude, I think Gill is going to fail and I think he was directly responsible for several of our losses, that a different coach, say Mangino would've given us another couple of victories. However, with that said I am impressed with this kid, the RB out of KC and a few of his other recruits. Though they may only be 3 star recruits, but several of these guys are highly rated 3 starts. For instance I think the difference in rivals ratings between Bubba Starling (5.8) and Brock Berglund (5.7) are minimal yet one is a 4 star and the other is a 3 star. So stars mean little to me. I also give this staff credit for the way this class is constructed as you can never have enough lineman, RBs and QBs. Most likely some will be moved to defense. In summary, I'm not a huge Gill fan at this point, but I do think this class is shaping up pretty good on paper. Who knows none of these kids may amount to much, but this is not a bad class if they all sign.

lv_jhwk 4 years, 3 months ago

This might be the one post that proves that your vitriol is more a result of an axe to grind than any other reason. What that slight is I have no clue, but to take a positive article (granted, not as earth-shattering as some want to make it, but still better news than most) and turn it into something personal says a lot.

I have my fair share of unanswered questions about Gill and the direction of his program at this time, but in no way would I ever consider him a loser. Then again, I probably don't have the same narrow-minded view of the man either.

shimjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

wow this has really fired up Buff nation, which takes quite a bit to do....posters are hard at work degrading KU, Lawrence, etc

jhawk613 4 years, 3 months ago

One guy simultaneously said that he will follow BB to every game and Boo him and hope that he fails...

Then he turns around and says "CU better get out there and keep this kid..."

Apparently CU both loves/hates all their players.

David Lara 4 years, 3 months ago

You mean we may have gotten a new season ticket holder as well?? Sweet!!!!!

Kenneth Hillman 4 years, 3 months ago

Our recruiting class is shaping up pretty well all things considered. You're not going to get world beaters in your first real class after a season like we just had. I hope there are some immediate impact players in the bunch...especially at QB and OL. I was extremely pi$$ed off most of last season but here I am, ready to do it again and excited to see some progress in our football team. Welcome to KU Brock (good choice), hope you see the field next season. Hit the weights hard everybody and come back strong and mean. I wanna see it on the field.

Not sure how many schollies we have left but would love to see some BIG grabs late in the signing period.

Rock Chalk

troutsee 4 years, 3 months ago

I tell you what, if you are not on an anti-depressent at present, you need to be. Do you ever have anything good or encouraging to say or are you the constant voice of doom and gloom? Man, you would be one tough son of a gun to spend much time with. I pity the person(s) that has to. Whoever the unlucky sole is, he or she must be wretching 24 hours a day. That goes for you too Ahperse. I know. I know. Both of you are hiding behind that "realist" sign. Gaaaaaaaaaaag!!

Mike Johns 4 years, 3 months ago

Kale Pick is not listed in the article as a returning QB - is he "permanently" moved to WR?

jhawk613 4 years, 3 months ago

I think he is either permanently a WR or transferring.

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, that was the news a few weeks ago.

He won't be ruled out entirely, but the odds are stacked heavily against him with the possible exception of some special-package plays. However, that is mostly because Gill won't rule anything out for the time being.

Ed Brown 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't remember who made the comment but I guess HCTG had some success at a prayer meeting after all. Check out the school this QB comes from!

:P

DevilHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Our recruiting class is currently: Tied for # 41 in the country on Rivals; # 42 on Scout. # 6 in the Big 12(-2) on Rivals; # 7 on Scout.

KU and Baylor are basically for the 6/7 spot according to Scout. Only K-State and Iowa State are ranked significantly worse. (And of course, CU.)

Scout from previous years (overall; Big 12-2; Big 12): 2010: 65; 8; 9 2009: 50; 8; 9 2008: 49; 7; 9 2007: 78; 10; 12 2006: 47; 6; 7 2005: 57; 8; 10

If things hold up as they are, this class would be the best recruiting class that KU has had in at least the past 10 years - if not longer. However, it is still in the lower half for the conference.

beenahawk 4 years, 3 months ago

"However, it is still in the lower half for the conference."

It might be more exciting if there were still 12 teams in the conference.....no difference from what I can tell. 8th in 12 teams to 6th or 7th with 10?

Larry Smith 4 years, 3 months ago

I guess you could take a look at the overall ranking. #41 nationally is better than any classes in recent memory. And aparrently, it is only going to go up.

Sam Brockert 4 years, 3 months ago

yes but then you take out nebraska and everyone under them moves up, so KU would be 5th in the big12-2 now.

JJHAWK 4 years, 3 months ago

Nice research!

Puts the recruiting of Mangino and Staff versus Gill and staff in perspective. I'd say Gill is obviously fulfilling part of what he was brought in to do, improve recruiting. The other part, winning, should be based on Gill's recruits, not Mangino's. It is now obvious that Mangino left the cupboard bare with regard to quarterbacks - if not more.

Dale Kroening 4 years, 3 months ago

Welcome Brock ! Great work TG and staff ! Keep bringing them in !!!!!

texashawk10 4 years, 3 months ago

You do know that Cam Newton was recruited to be Tim Tebow's successor at Florida right? Cam Newton is not the typical JuCo QB that schools bring in as a stop gap for a year or two. You do also know that Quinn Mecham was a JuCo QB and how did that work out last season? JuCo's are a total crapshoot and KU football has typically come up snake eyes on JuCo players in the last decade or so.

Kevin Studer 4 years, 3 months ago

Most of us "idiots" know how to punctuate a sentence.

ampthatman 4 years, 3 months ago

I think the only downer for most of us is that you're still around. Go jump in a lake. They have those in Nebraska.

bad_dog 4 years, 3 months ago

" Go jump in a lake. They have those in Nebraska."

Albeit, rather shallow lakes.

Dale Kroening 4 years, 3 months ago

2003 : # 39 2004 : not in the top 50 2005 : # 48 2006 : # 38 2007 : # 50 2008 : # 40 2009 : # 31 2010 : not in the top 50 2011 : # 41 (at the moment)

Other than the 31 in 2009, not much different than the last coach. Lets see what TG can do with his own guys before we throw him under the bus. We are a basketball school, no matter who we have as a fb coach, I dont think we will ever be able to bring in great classes year after year. We should be happy to be in the top 50.

Bear86 4 years, 3 months ago

Great news for the Jayhawks. We needed to upgrade our QB talent and looks like this is a step in the right direction. We are still 2 years away from a bowl game or winning record. Rock Chalk!! F-Texas!!