Originally published December 20, 2010 at 04:03p.m., updated December 21, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Report: Three-star QB Brock Berglund decommits from Colorado, commits to KU football

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Rampart

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Pamona

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

It turns out there was a Plan B for Kansas University’s football program after all.

One week after missing out on Zack Stoudt, the No. 2-ranked junior-college quarterback in the country who chose Mississippi over KU, reports surfaced Monday that Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback Brock Berglund, a senior at Valor Christian High who originally committed to Colorado, had switched his commitment from CU to Kansas.

The Denver Post’s Ryan Casey reported that Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, was not on board with CU’s plans to change its offense under new head coach Jon Embree, who replaced Dan Hawkins, the man who recruited Berglund.

“Some of the changes in scheme and personnel are clearly different from my recruitment,” Berglund told the Post. “Even though they may be in the best interest of the program, they do not represent the best fit for me personally.”

Berglund continued: “I called coach Embree and explained my thoughts and feelings. I have decided to rescind my verbal commitment to CU and I have decided to verbally commit to the University of Kansas, where I am a better fit.”

Kansas recruited Berglund hard throughout 2010, as both offensive coordinator Chuck Long and cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy — who formerly coached at Air Force in Colorado Springs — were listed as KU’s lead recruiters for Berglund. The relationships he built with them, along with head coach Turner Gill, kept KU at the top of Berglund’s list throughout his recruitment.

“The most important thing’s probably the people.... getting to know the coaches and things like that,” Berglund told Rivals.com’s Jon Kirby in June.

At the very least, adding Berglund gives KU some much-needed depth at quarterback, where KU will retain part-time starters Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb and welcome another three-star freshman, Michael Cummings, next season.

Berglund has talked about graduating high school early and enrolling at the school of his choice in January. If that happens, the best-case scenario could include Berglund stepping in right away as the Jayhawks’ starter.

“Our offense uses me under center and out of the gun,” Berglund told ESPN.com in March. “We use a lot of play-action and run a lot of option through play-action as well. I would say I’m pretty mobile. I’m 205 (pounds) right now, but I think I can get to 210-215 pretty easily. I’m just focused on getting stronger, faster, and increasing my arm strength right now.”

Berglund, who guided his prep team to a Class 4A state title earlier this month, visited KU in June for a seven-on-seven camp. His time in Lawrence gave him a chance to meet with Long, Shealy and Gill. He also toured the football complex, which made a lasting impression.

“I think the facilities here are amazing,” he told Kirby at the time. “I’ve really never seen anything like it. I’ve been to some big schools, and (there’s been) nothing like this.”

Rivals ranks Berglund as the 13th best dual-threat QB in the Class of 2011.

Berglund nearly committed to UCLA this summer, but chose in-state CU over Boise State, Colorado State, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, San Diego State, Tulsa, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.

Comments

Bear86 3 years, 3 months ago

Great news for the Jayhawks. We needed to upgrade our QB talent and looks like this is a step in the right direction. We are still 2 years away from a bowl game or winning record. Rock Chalk!! F-Texas!!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Our recruiting class maybe around the #41 spot, which isn't good at any rate but, the downer is we still have Gill as coach.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

You idiots that say you don't want a Juco. Cam Newton was a Juco you idiots

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

Stoudt would have been better in the short term since he was already at Louisville and then at JC, but in the long term this my be the best deal

Dale Kroening 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome Brock ! Great work TG and staff ! Keep bringing them in !!!!!

DevilHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Our recruiting class is currently: Tied for # 41 in the country on Rivals; # 42 on Scout. # 6 in the Big 12(-2) on Rivals; # 7 on Scout.

KU and Baylor are basically for the 6/7 spot according to Scout. Only K-State and Iowa State are ranked significantly worse. (And of course, CU.)

Scout from previous years (overall; Big 12-2; Big 12): 2010: 65; 8; 9 2009: 50; 8; 9 2008: 49; 7; 9 2007: 78; 10; 12 2006: 47; 6; 7 2005: 57; 8; 10

If things hold up as they are, this class would be the best recruiting class that KU has had in at least the past 10 years - if not longer. However, it is still in the lower half for the conference.

Ed Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't remember who made the comment but I guess HCTG had some success at a prayer meeting after all. Check out the school this QB comes from!

:P

Mike Johns 3 years, 3 months ago

Kale Pick is not listed in the article as a returning QB - is he "permanently" moved to WR?

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Kenhil, don't hold your breath.

Kenneth Hillman 3 years, 3 months ago

Our recruiting class is shaping up pretty well all things considered. You're not going to get world beaters in your first real class after a season like we just had. I hope there are some immediate impact players in the bunch...especially at QB and OL. I was extremely pi$$ed off most of last season but here I am, ready to do it again and excited to see some progress in our football team. Welcome to KU Brock (good choice), hope you see the field next season. Hit the weights hard everybody and come back strong and mean. I wanna see it on the field.

Not sure how many schollies we have left but would love to see some BIG grabs late in the signing period.

Rock Chalk

shimjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

wow this has really fired up Buff nation, which takes quite a bit to do....posters are hard at work degrading KU, Lawrence, etc

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

O, this is great news, now we have 21 quarterbacks, all with 2-3*'s. Look out, look out. we can have a new quarterback on each play. Gill, you have out done yourself. Here I thought you were a loser and now I know you are a loser. What is this moron trying to do? This here tells us that Gill has no clue to what he is doing, of which, most of us knew that anyway. I hope he told them that there isn't any names on the back of the shirts, that way we won't know how many quarterbacks are in the game at one time, boy, that will fool them. We could have a tightend as a quarterback throwing a pass. Here comes the waterboy on the field, wait, its a quartback, I think he is going to pass the bucket, yes, and I think its a quarterback that is going out for the pass. Gill does have a great mind.

TtownHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Probably been said, but he's a 4 star on ESPN's ratings.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm assuming hes not including memorial stadium in this quote? or i hope not... anyway glad hes aboard.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Seems like he's just what Chuck Long has been looking for. I like that we will have a QB that can see over the line for once. Maybe he can get it down field to some of those tall WRs.

Plus, Brock Berglund is just a winning name. A real throwback. Right there with Dutch Sternaman, and Tuffy Leemans. A real football name.

Pretty good that he turned down schools like Boise St. and UCLA. But far more interesting timeline-wise that he spurned Tulsa.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

This much ruckus over a stringbean, three star quarterback??

We must suck worse than I thought.

Ben Kane 3 years, 3 months ago

how many stars was reesing ranked?

troutsee 3 years, 3 months ago

Things are looking up for 2012. I think we started closing the gap over the last few games last year. We should be a heck of a lot more competitive in 2011 but the W's probably won't improve much. But, I'll still be getting my season tickets.

Chris1955 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe Santa came a little early this week.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

He looks good on video and if he becomes a Jayhawk, that's something to get excited about. According to temjay's link, he sounds like he is going to CU. How accurate could that be?

In one of the clips I saw, he was scrambling all over the place---reminded me a lot right there of Todd Reesing.

Robert Brock 3 years, 3 months ago

Since Berglund has four years of eligibility he is a lot better than a Plan B. He will grow and develop with the other young studs. We will get better, Folks!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

great job by Gill and his staff to land this kid....he looks like a real QB stud. Welcome Brock!

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

I was really down when I heard that Stoudt had commited to Ole Miss. A good quarterback can make an offense look totally different. The coaching staff really saved the day by getting Brock. He is (or will be shortly) the best quarterback on the roster. I remember the difference Reesing made when he stepped onto the field. Well Done HCTG and staff.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

"Apparently, Actorman B squared ..."

???

Jamaal25Chiefs 3 years, 3 months ago

I like that he runs the same style of offense as us . . . That will help out with his learning a lot. . . his teams ran TONS of bubble screens. . . his arm does seem somewhat weak though from the video i seen. . . but that can be easily fixed over time. . . Gill has a lot of talent coming in . . in the areas we need. . . and that is a good thing. . . Its looking better and better for Kansas. . . It wont be next year that we are good. . . but improved. . . 7 wins at most. . but we will have too play great and have almost no injuries.

texashawk10 3 years, 3 months ago

This is a very good steal by Chuck Long and Vic Sealy. Brock Berglund is a 3 or 4 star recruit depending on where you look and fits the mold of a Chuck Long QB perfectly. He prefers playing in the pocket but has the mobility to buy time which will be big when he first starts, possibly this upcoming season. I hope Gill is patient enough to wait until 2012 to play him though unless Brock is here in the spring. I don't think this changes KU's 2011 season all that much as this group of OLineman isn't that good and I still think this will be a 2-4 win team next season regardless of whose at QB. 2012 is looking much brighter though and should be the year in which to fairl judge the job Turner Gill is doing.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 3 months ago

According to rivals, he's actually heavier and just an inch shorter than Starling. Just for size comparison. I'm just glad we finally have a tall, mobile QB commit.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

This makes this class of QB's, RB's, OL either 15th or 16th nationally.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 3 months ago

I am from Denver and follow high school sports passionately. I know a lot about this kid and I teach near Valor Christian where he attends school. He is a talented player who lead his team to the 4A state title.

When the offensive coordinator at CU was replaced that opened the door for KU because he was the lead recruiter. For the state championship he was 12 for 16 for 280 yards, 3 tds including 1 rushing td, which he ran 13 times for 126 yards.

He is a huge get for us.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, on the mildly downside, Rivals says Coe committed to Iowa, not that there was a huge chance of getting him to come to KU, but still hope if we can get him on campus with Reggie, Turner & Co.

On the positive front, the highest rated 3* in this class, BB Rivals 5.7, has raised our ranking to #7 in the conference and #41 overall.

boulderbuffan 3 years, 3 months ago

We figured out Hawk and sent him packing! Hate to say it but I think that we are better off in the Pac 12 than the Big 12 and I have been a Big 8/Big 12 fan for a long time. Too much $$ in the Texas arena and too much infuence. Heck you guys had to forfeit the money that CU and Nebraska paid the Big 12 in exit penalties just to stay in.

Good thing you have Basketball as it will be a tough road against the Big Tex. Why no championship game. They need to get two more schools.

TCU is a no brainer who else? Notre Dame? Don't laugh it could happen!

milehighhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Just type his name into YouTube and a couple vids pop up.

Highlights from two games come up - he looks very mobile with decent arm strength in both. Not sure about the rest of the talent on the field, but either way - he looks like a playmaker. Couple those abilities and physical attributes with Long & Gill (and young weapons), and we could have a pretty fun team to watch in a couple years!

boulderbuffan 3 years, 3 months ago

You guys get all excited over a 3 star 4A QB from Colorado. He committs, uncommitts, meets the new CU coach, recommitts now decommitts. You can have him. We want Buffs that want to be Buffs. No more 4th quarter letdowns like we had at your place a month ago.

Go Buffs.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

Back when this kid committed to CU, I read a little about him. He does look like he needs to gain some weight, but it sounded like he's a pretty good player. I hope so, because the QBs we have sure didn't get the job done this year. Maybe he'll be the answer in a couple years!

Robert Brock 3 years, 3 months ago

This kid is three-star but I am guessing that he is a very high three-star player. I am pleased.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 3 months ago

How does this work out? If they are available in January, and the Signing day is Feb, can they practice before they sign?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

We have a team with 14 qb's and 32 rb's.

danmoore 3 years, 3 months ago

He stated after the Hawkins firing that he was committed to the Buffs so I'm cautiously optimistic too. Seems a bit odd there are no comments on the Denver Post story.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

But how's this possible, since Turner Gill is the worst coach, recruiter and human being on the face of the earth?

Where are all the mea culpas from people who said Gill was a horrible recruiter after Stoudt chose to go to Ole Miss?

Keith Hummel 3 years, 3 months ago

Woo Hoo! This is awesome news! Keep up the great work Coach Gill.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 3 months ago

I had actually wondered if we wouldn't try for the qb from West Virginia who was rumored to be looking at Ole Miss at the same time as Stoudt. Oh well, this will do!

VAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I ask, yet again, can we please use the term "verbally commit" in lieu of "orally commit"?

smokedturkey 3 years, 3 months ago

Seems to be very skilled, but he also had a great O'line and great RB (McCaffery...yes Ed's son). I hope he pans out.

Michael Maris 3 years, 3 months ago

To Rob4lbs:

As far as Recruiting issues are concerned. You need to look behind the curtains on some of the schools that you mentioned. UCLA OC is Norm Chow (former OC @ USC, Tennessee Titans). Duke is listed as well (on the schools that were recruiting Brock Berglund. Duke is coached by a QB Coaching Type guy. Just ask Peyton & Eli Manning. So, if David Cutcliffe and Norm Chow are interested in Brock B. Something has to right in the Berglund Camp.

2 years in a Row that Coach Gill & Staff bring in a player with the initials of BB.

Give the staff time, and the JayHawk Football Nation might be happy once again.

2Bnamedlater 3 years, 3 months ago

Lets hope that verbally becomes a written commit. This kid looks good on paper, haven't seen any highlights, but I do like what I have read about him.

Nice going FB coaching staff on going and getting him. Keep up the great work and great things will happen.

midhawktx 3 years, 3 months ago

Good news...I would like to know what happened in the coaching change at CU that made this kid change his mind. Good pick up. I'm sure he will compete well and start next year.

DevilHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Very good news for us - especially if we can maintain commitments from both him and Cummings.

It still looks like we are in for a very bad 2011 season as our recruits redshirt - but this definitely adds to the hope of seeing a much better KU Football program in 2012, 2013, and beyond.

HawkTronic 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm cautiously optimistic - both in terms of 1) this guy actually coming to KU and 2) being able to contribute. If he graduates at semester and is here for the spring and summer, that's a virtual red-shirt. All the teaching is done in the spring anyway. He could be ready to play. Reesing did that - not that his result was normal. And based on history, I'd much rather have a HS guy than an JUCO transfer.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

By the look of that picture, I'd say he needs about 20 more pounds to survive the pounding. Hope he looks good in a redshirt, because that is where he may be best served for the upcoming season.

PJ Karasek 3 years, 3 months ago

reportedly wanted to come to KU for the "option read" style offense that we would like to run. I would have to think that with a dual-threat quarterback and our stable of backs offense might get more exciting here shortly.

rob4lb 3 years, 3 months ago

It is probably best to redshirt and take our lumps next year with the status quo. A quick check of the Rivals website and Berglund is ranked slightly ahead of Stoudt, whom alot of people lamented losing. Berglund did not receive offers from high profile schools (he got offers from UCLA, Utah, and K-State), but this would appear to be a solid recruit. Of course, it's never over until the ink is dry,

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!

bvrams 3 years, 3 months ago

A runner and thrower that can see over the O-line. Feel like that should work.

MitchumMan 3 years, 3 months ago

If true, he graduates early and will be here in January...

Fortesque Beagleton 3 years, 3 months ago

Woot! Finally, some much needed depth at QB. Too bad he'll be a true frosh and unlikely to contribute right away.