Monday, December 20, 2010

KU’s Josh Selby wins Big 12 rookie of the week

Kansas guard Josh Selby salutes the Allen Fieldhouse crowd as he leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 70-68 win over USC, Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010. Selby made his debut with 21 points and hit what proved to be the game winning shot with 24 seconds left.

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby was named the Big 12 rookie of the week, the conference announced Monday.

In his first collegiate game Saturday, Selby finished with 21 points, including the game-winning three-pointer, in KU's 70-68 victory over USC.

The 6-foot-2 guard from Baltimore was 5-for-11 from the floor, 5-for-8 from three-point range and 6-for-7 from the free-throw line with five rebounds.

Texas A&M's Khris Middleton was named Big 12 player of the week.

Comments

AsadZ 3 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully many more to come this year.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

Um, I don't know you man but if you are serious then perhaps you need to some counseling.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

You try to be nice and you get insulted by someone who obviously runs his life with stereotypes because he is too fing stupid to use his brain. GFU.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 9 months ago

DDDUUUHHHH!!

I'm sure everyone realizes how rare it is when the "Hop" actually exceeds the "Hype".

I, however, nominate Josh's Mom, Ms. Witherspoon as Freshman Mother of the Week. After the announcer gushed about her son's performance she came back with a quote on national television that was priceless....." yeah, but he's missed four shots and a free throw."

Josh, my boy..listen to Mom and you'll be a star!! You gotta love it!!!!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

Would have liked it better if she said "Yeah but he missed two weeks of school and he can't get those back".

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

My comment was not a position for debate it was something I would like to see.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 9 months ago

I would like to see BoulderHawk STFU and keep his dumbazz opinions to himself until he can post something worth reading.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

LOL. My intelligence was questioned by a genius who used the "word" dumbazz.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 8 months ago

Just wanted to make sure you got to see it there Einstein, had I spelled it correctly the reply would have been removed. Nice try though.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Yea, Merry Christmas to you too..

Ed Brown 3 years, 9 months ago

I especially liked when she said what a great day it was in the city of Kansas. Kudos to her for the great job she has done raising such a fine young man...probably on her own. She reminds me of Keith Langford's mother. She was always beaming too.

RCJH

kushaw 3 years, 9 months ago

Josh Selby played Saturday? Damn it, I missed it!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

You would have thought there would have been some news on that, right?

kushaw 3 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe they kept it so quiet.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 9 months ago

He was Big XII Player of the Week!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

Josh Selby---Big 12 Rookie of the Week? Imagine that!

tdub 3 years, 9 months ago

You guys are missing the most important point here... a guy named Khris was Big 12 player of the week. What has happened to this conference???

TaCityHawkFan 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, I guess I missed the point. What has happened to this conference?

PhogPhanatic 3 years, 9 months ago

tdub - I'm with ya, this kid should have gotten player of the week as well

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

And I would like to award the Big XII the Thank You Captain Obvious Of The Week award.

It's quite coveted. It's only given by posters on this site who wish to anonymously present an air of superiority over others.

Which means it's given out by the hour.

milehighhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

But...this is the ONE place I can come, say horrific things about other people and log off.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

The force is strong in this one.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

It was nice that Josh's mom held him to account for missing four shots and a free throw. But it would have been a little more impressive if she hadn't referred to the "City of Kansas." Didn't exactly make her look brilliant.

duanep5ku 3 years, 9 months ago

I do agree in part with you actorman about what she said on TV but who really cares about what was said in the long run. His mom was probably just excited to be here in person and to finally get the chance to see her son play in his first College game.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Plus she was on national TV -- probably for the first time -- with her child under a tremendous amount of hype and pressure and her reactions being monitored and gauged by media outlets both local and national. She also had something like 9 family members there with her. She was put on the spot to answer questions with all of this going on around her (not to mention her emotions running high) and handled herself, in my opinion, very well. It appears as though Josh is lucky enough to have a very engaged and level-headed mother.

But I suppose she can be graded by one simple slip of the tongue like she's running for president. That seems fair.