Saturday, December 18, 2010

Selby’s debut finally here

Kansas guard Josh Selby talks with reporters about his excitement for Saturday's game against USC, Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010.

Self says USC defense will be toughest yet

Kansas head coach Bill Self said KU will face the toughest defense they have seen this year when they Jayhawks take on USC on Saturday.

Josh Selby walks into an office on Kansas University’s campus wearing a beige and black winter coat with writing on the left sleeve.

What kind of coat is that, Josh?

“Baltimore,” Selby, KU’s 6-foot-2 freshman basketball guard from Charm City, said proudly.

“Baltimore Black Sox,” he added.

Selby’s not necessarily a rabid fan of the old Negro League baseball team — Selby never played baseball — but he is a lover of his hometown, which he hopes to make proud during today’s major-college debut.

Tipoff for the KU-Southern California game is 11 a.m. in Allen Fieldhouse. It’s Selby’s first game following his nine-game, career-opening NCAA suspension for accepting benefits from Carmelo Anthony’s business manager, who also happens to be a family friend.

“Growing up in Baltimore ... it’s special. We have our own swagger in Baltimore about hard work, dedication and have a style of play. Hopefully I can live up to it (during KU career),” Selby said. “I’m just focusing on winning a national championship and Big 12 championship.”

Lots of eyes back home and around the country will be watching today’s much-hyped Selby debut on ESPN.

“Not really,” Selby said, asked if the days leading up to today’s game were especially stressful, “because I was expecting this. I’m just ready to play Saturday and get this over with.”

The expectation level is high for Rivals.com’s No. 1 player in the recruiting class of 2010.

“I think Allen Fieldhouse will be as juiced as any game right before Christmas as in a long time, maybe ever, just because of Josh making his debut,” said KU coach Bill Self. He will likely bring Selby off the bench, while starting Tyshawn Taylor at point guard, Tyrel Reed at off guard and Brady Morningstar on the wing.

“Josh has had an unbelievable attitude. Hopefully he’ll not put too much pressure on himself, just be a kid and have fun.”

Self outlined what he’s envisioning.

“Josh is not going to average 20 (points) for us. He may have games where he has 20. We are not going to have anybody do that,” Self said.

“I just look for consistency. I talked to him the other day. I said, ‘Josh if you played every minute, which you are not going to, and everybody on the court has the ball the exact same amount of time, you’d only have the ball four minutes a game. What are you going to do the other 36 (minutes)?’

“What I’m basically trying to convince him how to play is play without the ball. I may see a lot of improvement other people may not see just because it won’t be from a production standpoint.”

If Selby has any problems today or down the line, he’ll be able to lean on one of best buddies — KU veteran combo guard Tyshawn Taylor.

“We are like brothers. We call each other brothers,” Selby said of he and Taylor.

Taylor can’t wait to see what brother Selby can do with the bright lights shining.

“I’m excited. I think we’ve all been waiting for this and I think he’s going to bring a lot to the table for us,” Taylor said. “He adds a couple dimensions for us, another scorer, another creator, another body, another defender. I think it’s going to be exciting.”

KU (9-0) faces a (6-4) USC team that is welcoming in a newcomer guard of its own — former Fordham guard Jio Fontan, who was a teammate of Taylor’s at St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J.

USC, which clubbed Texas, 73-56, on Dec. 5 in Los Angeles and lost at Nebraska, 60-58, in Lincoln on Nov. 27, is led by junior forward Nikola Vucevic (16.5 ppg, 10.6 rpg), freshman guard Maurice Jones (12.2 ppg, 4.2 apg), frosh guard Bryce Jones (no relation, 11.2 ppg) and senior forward Alex Stephenson (8.6 ppg, 8.3 rpg).

“USC arguably is the best team we’ve played defensively without question,” Self said of coach Kevin O’Neill’s Trojans. “They are going to guard us. They are good enough to beat Texas by 15 or 17 and we know Texas’ talent level.

“It’s going to be like the UCLA game in my opinion, not saying outcome or anything like that,” added Self, whose Jayhawks topped the Bruins, 77-76, on Dec. 2. “There was so much talk about us going into the UCLA game. UCLA came in and said, ‘Hey, we’re still UCLA and we’ll go play.’ I think SC will have that similar mindset. They’re going to be saying, ‘Josh Selby? They think he can come in and dominate first time out? That’s showing you disrespect.’ That kind of stuff. I think it’ll be an exciting game, a good game for us to get better.”

How much better a team can undefeated KU be with Selby?

“I don’t know how much better they (Jayhawks) can be. I guess we’ll have to find out the 18th. I really don’t know,” Selby said, simply.

Comments

Otownhawker 11 years, 1 month ago

Let's do this

Also I heard the next AD is going to be former Seinfield writer Larry David

Ben Kliewer 11 years, 1 month ago

Larry David still does stuff you know. He's not just a "former..." Ever heard of a little show called "Curb Your Enthusiasm?" Brilliant! Larry also was a co-creator of Seinfeld, not just a writer. All around brilliant guy. Did I mention he's brilliant? (Of course, Jerry is too) I would predict that, if that were the case, we would have the most entertaining athletic department about nothing in all the NCAA.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 1 month ago

But...he still is a 'former Seinfield writer'..just saying. : )

Dr_Roach 11 years, 1 month ago

I heard the exact same thing!!

ROCK CHALK DAVID HAWK GO KU!

Adam Evans 11 years, 1 month ago

I can't sleep I'm so excited about his debut. Haven't been this excited since the 2008 championship game.

And Larry David as AD is the best idea ever.

Dr_Roach 11 years, 1 month ago

Calm down buddy...deep breaths, not to high not too low. Have that paper bag ready.

ParisHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

"What are you going to do the other 36 minutes?" Vintage Self!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 1 month ago

Right up there with "I may see a lot of improvement other people may not see just because it won’t be from a production standpoint.”

It's why he's the coach, and a NC coach at that, while we blog.

Dr_Roach 11 years, 1 month ago

You won't need to read any extra's to get fired up for today, come on now, act like you have been here b4!

John Mueller 11 years, 1 month ago

If "Larry" is a pre-requisite for the AD post, I would like to put the name Larry "Bud" Melman forward. I think he would fit right in with the current direction of the football program.

Agreed on the 36 minutes comment by Self. There is simply not a better coach in the entire world for the Kansas Jayhawks. He really is the KU Athletic department at this point.

And, we couldn't have a better representative.

pixiejunkie 11 years, 1 month ago

As a Baltimore transplant (from KC), I am pumped for Josh and his debut.... the whole town is excited to see him do "his thing". Rock and roll, Josh! Just get out there and do the you – the new you, the KU you. Today's the day you truly become a Jayhawk!! Enjoy it.....

studio 11 years, 1 month ago

Not sure considering the recent event of a player tripping over coaching staff that Larry David should be allowed on the front row even if AD.

REHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Says something for the brilliance of Self that he can sell that 4 minute spiel so effectively. Just imagine how fired up a player might be if he could do the math and sneak an extra 4 minutes into the contest!

KansasComet 11 years, 1 month ago

Josh Selby is the man! I absolutely love watching this young man play! We need someone with a "kick your heart out" mentality on the court. Looking forward to the game today. I think KU will be fine once they get a few games under their belt with this new lineup. Let's just see what happens? Sad about the situation with Mario. The young man more than likely let his emotions get the best of him for a fifteen minute period and now will pay dearly for it. Unfortunately, we all have to live and learn and no one is perfect. Go Jayhawks!!

Steve Gantz 11 years, 1 month ago

How appropriate that the KU basketball Messiah is "born" to us during the middle of the Christmas season!

Steve Gantz 11 years, 1 month ago

I wish my sarcasm could come through on these message boards.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey 83---- Oh, I got your scarcasm! I'm glad you're all excited. I will have to watch highlights tonight. I just hope they win the game and Josh does a respectable job. It is pretty safe to say he will. Rock Chalk Jayhawk---win Jayhawks!

Steve Gantz 11 years, 1 month ago

I'm always truly excited for KU hoops, I just get a little annoyed with the over the top hype for a freshman in college. I can't watch it either. Hope it leads to great things for us.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 1 month ago

Go to the ESPN scoreboard page. They often have these games on replay.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 1 month ago

@wissoxfan83, me too...of course the problem could be poor sarcasm in my case.

GOOD LUCK JOSH!!

Jack Wilson 11 years, 1 month ago

I keep having the thought that Selby scores 21 today. Don't know why.

John Myers 11 years, 1 month ago

Well, I guess now we know why! Nice call!!!

dynamitehawk 11 years, 1 month ago

HEM,

Holy $hitballs. You need to go buy a lottery ticket right now.

Steve Brown 11 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU.

I think I have a man crush on Mr. Robinson.

Talented big man that comes off bench as D.Block.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 1 month ago

I am not a fan of Brady, but to say :Never did think this kid was worth anything from the start of his term with KU" is ridiculous. I don't know what is wrong with his offense but he still has his defensive intensity. I wouldn't start him but he still contributes.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 1 month ago

@fansincewilt you said all that was needed! WOW!!