Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kansas-USC notebook: Morningstar, Reed involved in big plays at end, too

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed goes up to defend USC forward Alex Stephenson's attempted dunk during the second half, Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. USC

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated USC, 70-68 on Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Freshman Josh Selby scored a game-high 21 points in his debut, including a three pointer with 24 seconds left in the game to give KU win.

Brady Morningstar’s defense was dandy on an inbounds pass play that resulted in a USC turnover with :05 left and KU up, 69-68, in Saturday’s 70-68 victory over the Trojans.

USC’s Jio Fontan, who was tightly guarded by senior defensive stopper Morningstar, stepped out of bounds in front of the Trojans bench after accepting a feed from Donte Smith.

“Brady’s in his hip pocket, so he (Fontan) has to go three feet further out,” said KU coach Bill Self, noting, “We put supposedly our best defensive team out there on ‘out of bounds under’ (USC goal).

“Maybe the pass was off a little bit, I have no idea, but I think he was obviously on the line. Brady deserves credit for that.”

Noted Morningstar: “Before the ball is in bounds, you’ve got to get set and run him (Fontan) off a screen. That’s what I did. Thankfully he caught it out of bounds. The whistle blew after he caught it. He shrugged a bit.”

He tried to make it

KU senior guard Tyrel Reed, who was fouled on the ensuing inbounds play after Morningstar’s stop, made the first free throw then missed the second with :04 left.

His one make gave KU a not-so-safe 70-68 lead.

“He was trying to make them,” Self said, noting the strategy was different from the UCLA game in which Mario Little purposely missed the second toss in the closing moments of a 77-76 victory.

“Afterward, he (jokingly) said, ‘Hey, I missed way out in the corner, so it took up time and they didn’t get off a good look (on Maurice Jones’ missed halfcourt shot at buzzer).’

“He’s right. They didn’t (get good look). Tyrel’s a bright kid. He’s already graduated. He had it all planned out.

“In that situation, you’ve got to make it,” Self added in a serious tone. “Then we’d have called timeout on the second make and probably fouled when they threw it in (up three). It worked out well for us.”

Joked Reed: “It’s what I said: ‘Miss it on purpose’ because it worked out for the best. They couldn’t set anything up. ‘Kieff (Markieff Morris) tipped it to the corner, and that wasted some time. I should have made it. It’s just one of those things.”

Off day

Tyshawn Taylor had one assist, six turnovers and seven points.

“I’ll be honest. I didn’t see much (from Taylor),” Self said. “That was poor play, and he knows that. I’m sure he feels bad but that was poor play today.”

Off the bench

Power forward Markieff Morris didn’t start because of coach’s decision, not any disciplinary reason. Travis Releford opened in Markieff’s place and had one point, one rebound and two steals in 15 minutes. Markieff Morris had 11 points and eight boards in 30 minutes.

Little not with team

Little, who was arrested on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing Thursday, remains on suspension. He did not attend the game, but remains on the team.

“He was told that he shouldn’t be here (by Self). He’s still part of our team, but I don’t know what the next move is because I haven’t talked to enough people in the know about exactly what is going on,” Self said. “If the rumors (of violent behavior) are true, which I’m not saying they are or aren’t, it (punishment) will be significant, if or when he comes back. A lot depends what the police report says and what the judge says, obviously.”

Ellis in the house

Wichita Heights junior forward Perry Ellis, who has a final list of KU, Kansas State, Kentucky, Memphis, Oklahoma and Wichita State, attended with other members of his high school team.

Hoopla

Signs in the building read, “Josh Chalk Jayhawk,” “It’s showtime,” and “All I want For Christmas is No. 32”. ... A funny, crowd-pleasing holiday video shown in the first half had Jayhawk player and coach mugshots superimposed on the bodies of Santa’s elves.

Comments

Hank Cross 11 years, 1 month ago

All hail Brady - He makes a couple of plays and everybody forgets that his fouls sent USC to the line several times, including causing USC to convert on a 3 pt play. That and the jumper that he took that almost broke the backboard.

KU gets some early 3s, jumps out to a 12-15 point lead, lesser team scambles back in the 2nd half, sweat it out until the final minute. Pretty much par for the course.

On the positive side - Selby is a real star. When everyone stands around with a 'who stole my lunch money' on their face wondering who is going to score, it's going to come down to him.

yates33333 11 years, 1 month ago

You think oxcaljayhawk is a for real? I don't. Did he go to the game or did he send his seeing-eye dog?

kureignman 11 years, 1 month ago

I don't think the article said that Brady should be named MVP or anything. It was simply stating that other players besides Selby contributed to the W at a crucial time. We need players to hit big time shots AND others to play lock down D. Quit being a hater.

KULA 11 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, what a big soft wet kiss from Bill. He didn't mention, though, that Brady gave up ten points (at least) in the second half alone. Six of 'em on two consecutive plays. Lock-down D, huh? A little better D earlier in the game and it's not nearly that close at the end.

murph 11 years, 1 month ago

You bashers are disgusting. Oxcali and KULA, I'm very confident that neither of you can play anywhere NEAR as well as Brady does. I'm also confident that even though you seem to have crushes on Josh, he couldn't possibly have beaten the whole USC team by himself. He did play very well, but he's not alone out there on the floor.

leonard 11 years, 1 month ago

"I'm very confident that neither of you can play anywhere NEAR as well as Brady does." - Murphy

You win the Vacuous Moron Post for this thread.

jaydee909 11 years, 1 month ago

The foul on Morningstar on the three point attempt late in the game was questionable. The USC player looked like he was off balance and fell on his own. I thought it was great D by Brady.

Jim Roth 11 years, 1 month ago

It was a bad call. Brady didn't touch him until after the ball left, and then it only looked bad because the guy was falling down anyway.

hawksfan08 11 years, 1 month ago

Brady's play was maddening to say the least. He gave up a 3 and a 3 point play back to back. Then fouled a jump shooter. Then on the other end he came up with two enormous offensive rebounds that probably saved the game. If he could make those good offensive plays while not getting torched defensively we'd have something.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 1 month ago

But don't forget he was also fouled as a jump shooter, and made all three of his free throws.

hawk316 11 years, 1 month ago

Let's face it. Other than Selby, not too many KU players can feel all that great about their performances in this game. We were extremely fortunate to win this one (much like the UCLA game earlier...what is it about the Pac 10 this year anyway?) considering how poorly we played. But as we all know, sometimes you win with the help of a little good fortune.

Let's hope this team gets it together over the break, because their play the last couple of weeks has left much to be desired.

hawk316 11 years, 1 month ago

Ooops. One correction to my previous comment. I meant to give kudos to TR, as well. He played quite well and brought a lot of energy. He seems to get better and better. If he continues to work hard and improve at this rate, he has a shot to become an all-american his senior year.

Kief also played fairly well.

bradh 11 years, 1 month ago

I thought Brady's defense the first half was excellent. He struggled a bit in the second half, but showed up when it counted. Not everyone can be as perfect as the posters on this site.

NorthStarHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

chamberlain....I have the same feeling about Little. If so, what an unfortunate situation for him personally. He is now likely facing the biggest "life-growing" moment of his life. Let's hope he embraces the experience positively moving forward with his life.

I just love how the bashers are so adept at pointing out the failures on specific individual's performances. Obviously, they're justified since they are model "Paragons of Perfection" living cracker-jack lives behind they're anonymous existences. There were mistakes/mental lapses made by most of the team yesterday including Mr. Selby. Rest assured, the coaches will address them in a manner to learn from and not in a tone of accusatory scorn. My main concern for the team at this point: free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws, free throws.

Jayandseahawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Spot on. That's why they're free. Free points for the taking. We gotta make 'em, nuff said. Make all our free throws (or at least a 88% avg.) and we're g-o-l-d-en.

fansincewilt 11 years, 1 month ago

We have a team and it's a pretty good one. Each member of the team is very important. I don't understand why anyone would constantly put certain players down that play on that team. No one has a better perspective on players than Self does. From his standpoint Brady's defense is stellar. It's amazing to read some of these comments saying the opposite. If Coach says Brady is our best defender I am confident he knows. I remember saying when Fontan stepped on the out-of-bounds line, that it was because he was being guarded by Brady. On another note, I really feel bad for Little. I hope this all gets sorted out and it doesn't mean he is finished. We missed him yesterday. I understand he used poor judgment but who hasn't. I pray that this will be a positive experience in his life. I hope he learns from it and that it makes him a better person. That should be our goal in this situation.

theajayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

+1. It is annoying that some readers think they know better...better than the Man who hasn't lost a game at home in four years, better than the coach who has transformed Morris twins from a high school ranking of around 40 to being talked about as All Americans (it would be interesting to see where the players ranked higher than the Twins are today in the college system). I could go on an on. For those that know better, it is this very attitude (I know better than my boss or the experts in another area) that is probably keeping you from getting far ahead in life. Give it a thought and you might improve your professional career.

jamsim3 11 years, 1 month ago

So you think Brady and Coach Self cannot be critiqued on this internet message board? You call people losers who make the same assesment of the game as Coach Self has made. Amazing! I'm sure most fans of the Jayhawks know when a player has a bad game and a coach has a bad game as well as the players. If you asked TyShawn I'm sure he would say it was not one of his best games and Brady would probably say the same. Both made plays that hurt and some that helped. Doesn't mean we can't discuss them without being failures at life as you put it. Doesn't mean we can't give 'em some tough love either.

theajayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

No, but I do believe people have no business commenting if Coach's assessment is accurate. He is far more qualified to do that.

WilburNether 11 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, well, Self was Collins' biggest shill, too, and all an objective observer needs to do is look at the end of last season to understand that the primary reason for that team's failure to live up to its capabilities and potential was that Self put too many eggs in the Collins basket.

Referring to Morningstar as a "defensive stopper" is laughable, particularly after he gave up so many points yesterday.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

I certainly hope Little isn't finished for good. He's put a lot of sweat and hard work during his time at KU, particularly coming back from the injury and waiting out a redshirt. Now, before you jump down my throat, I'm not IN ANY WAY endorsing violence against women, or anyone else for that matter. His punishment should be severe enough to fit the crime...but he deserves a second chance. He doesn't sound like a horrible kid.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

I guess I should say, other than what happened the other night, he hasn't appeared to be a problem kid.

Robert Brock 11 years, 1 month ago

Taylor played like he usually plays - Out of Control.

Jim Roth 11 years, 1 month ago

That is, like he used to play. He's been much more consistent and controlled this season. Until yesterday.

Robert Brock 11 years, 1 month ago

He gets away with a lot of weak play against poor teams. Expect more of yesterday's results as our schedule gets tougher. By the way, what will Taylor do when Selby takes over the point? Taylor cannot wait for the ball and shoot a standard jump shot like most "shooting guards" can.

hawk_of_ages 11 years, 1 month ago

I don't see any reason why Selby would take over the point. He did very well playing off the ball yesterday, and Tyshawn has done very well handling the ball until yesterday -- see the game vs. Memphis, which needless to say, is not a "weak" team.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 1 month ago

Selby is considered a "natural" point guard. Self has said many times that he didn't want to start him at point and give him all that extra responsibility when he's trying to learn the system. But it gives the definite impression that it's somewhere in his future. Maybe TT would do better as shooting guard anyway when he didn't have to handle the ball so much. I would just worry that he would see it as a demotion.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 1 month ago

The reason Tyshawn played poorly is when he gets all hyped on a player of the opposing team he does not allow the game to come to him but he forces things. He's a tremendous player and we need him to play well. He just needs to realize he can't things so personally and go hog wild.

SDSurferFan 11 years, 1 month ago

-Tyshawn had a off game, but still seems like he had a better game than Brady. I don't fault him for TOs when driving to the hoop, rather bad high-low passes and just bad passes. Still a bright spot this season. -TRob. Another pleasure to watch this season. He's got a little Kaun, a little DJackson, and a lot DC in him. Will continue to get better. -Selby. Amazing. Only thing I would have like to see was a drive to the hoop. That is what we do not have other than Taylor. I think he had 1-2, and that was a O foul. Still, pretty impressive. -Little. Seems like he just snapped because of a girl. People have been forgiven for a lot worse. The story doesn't say much. Battery? He pushed someone? Come on. -Definitely a poor showing defensively in 1/2 half. Credit SC, they have a good team with the other two guys returning. -UCLA- Beat BYU. Weird team, huh? Good for KU, and good for my SDSU team that is the sure to be a top 8 team come Monday. I am in basketball nirvana this year.

bstew34864 11 years, 1 month ago

Look, I think Brady is a good hard-working player, but can anyone honestly say he deserves the minutes he is getting? Especially, when he is taking minutes from Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford.

I know, I know Brady is the glue guy, he keeps the ball moving, he is the defensive stopper. He is also someone who is constantly getting beat by his man, seems unsure with the ball, and is shooting a low percentage from the field, not to mention the 3 point line.

He is a good kid but he does not deserve the minutes he is getting. It is just that simple. And I also put Tyshawn in this category.

I understand setting Markieff because he needs more energy, but how about setting folks for consistently poor play and bad decisions? Like Brady and Tyshawn..

b

jayhawktalk 11 years, 1 month ago

I've defended Brady in the past, and my thoughts haven't really changed. That said, to try and look at the situation more objectively, I broke down the stats per minute played for Brady, Tyrel, Elijah and Travis about two games back - I would share some of the numbers, but posting from my phone w/out the spreadsheet in front of me. Caveat that not all minutes played are equal, since some of those mentioned are more likely to have played mop up minutes against lesser competition or less pressure, and players are asked to contribute in different ways, but, at the time I looked at it, it looked like you could make a stats argument for Brady getting his minutes over all those mentioned w/one exception - Elijah's output per minute appears at surface level to have been significantly greater than Brady's (and the others).

Again, I will not pretend that purely comparing stats is a fair means of assessing performance, and I should, if I felt like investing the time, which I don't, take a second look by pulling in the most recent games and dropping some of the early season cupcakes, but some could definitely make an argument that Elijah should be getting more time. Releford... Anyone making that argument w/out taking the time to REALLY look at productivity should reserve judgment and/or stipulate their opinion is purely based upon an emotional response, as even arguments based on "upside" are speculative.

...I always wonder why there are significantly fewer posts questioning Tyrel's minutes...

MrPilot 11 years, 1 month ago

Am I at the right website? With all the bashing of members of the team we're all (supposedly) fans of, I can't help but worry if I've accidentally stumbled upon a KSU or Mizzou site here.

Greg Lux 11 years, 1 month ago

Ok, Taylor had a spectator game, its over and I hope he can adjust to Josh being the "star" for a little while, because thats the way fans are going to treat him. Ty just needs to do his thing and not be concerned about it, because its not going to change. Every good player wants to be the "guy" and Ty is no different. I think he will shake it off and play well in California Weds. Saturday was a truly strange environment for the rest of the team and they showed it at times. But, its over now and its time to get down to business or we will get beat by a hot so-so team down the road. Ty read this and know you are still the leader of this team and if we are going to do well we need you to do your job and do it well.

Rock Chalk

NotWiller 11 years, 1 month ago

I completely support Brady and Tyrel, but I don't think it's "bashing" to say that their play hasn't exactly been consistent. Brady gets tons of credit for being in Fontan's hip pocket, but I don't see how that should make anyone forget about the several fouls on 3-pointers and long range 2's he's committed recently. And in the USC game, he was probably guilty of as many more ill-advised fouls that he didn't get called for. Tyrel and Brady both seem to not be shooting nearly as confidently, though someone probably has the numbers to say if their production is off from last year.

IMHO, it seems like Brady and Tyrel both play up to the standard that the team needs from them, and since we're deeper in guard talent this year, they just seem to not be as sharp each day and each possession. I hate to say it, but it makes me nervous not knowing whether Brady is going to lock down on or fall into a 3-point shooter. It's not bashing to say that, it's just remembering all defensive possessions rather than just the last one (which was really, really good).

Come on, guys- play every night like it's your last!! IMO, you're both way better than the inconsistency you're showing.

Be the lock-down, 3-draining, free-throw assassins that we know you can be and that the rest of us hacks always wanted to be!!

Blake Brown 11 years, 1 month ago

Im amazed no one has mentioned the play before the 3 by Selby where we get the ball after a USC miss when Josh retrieves the rebound, avoids stepping on the line and while falling out of bounds, keeps it in play and throws it back to Marcus. If the ball goes out of bounds or he steps on the line, its their ball and who knows?. A huge play.

NotWiller 11 years, 1 month ago

I'll say this, drgnslayr, T-Rob has shed about 90% of his timidity since the early games this season. Remember how hesitant he looked under the basket in the first two games? And now? About a nano-second after he gets the ball he turns and ATTACKS! I know he still has some control issues, but DANG I like watching that guy play! Releford is developing well, too, though slower than T-Rob. The two of them are going to be dy-no-mite next year!

And I agree that there's no reason why UCLA or USC should be taking us to the wire at home, but I wonder if some of that is HCBS playing w/ some combinations in some situations that he wouldn't do later in the season when things are really on the line. Seems to me that in both games he's brought in Withey and Elijah after a big run when it's time to deliver the lethal blow. HCBS doesn't expect that kind of line up to finish off an opponent, does he? Maybe he's using the home win streak as an extra motivation to get hard work/improvement out of the subs? He's stated openly many times that he doesn't care about the streak, but I'd bet that the players do. That streak WILL end while Self is at the helm, but it doesn't have to end while any current player is here. So there's a different set of incentives that he could be using, forcing attention, work, and concentration on guys that don't see much floor time.

Do you think Self would know more about our true potential if it weren't for these two close finishes? A tough way to learn lessons, but I think it's best in the long run to take chances in the early season so that your guys are really challenged. Lord knows the overall strength of schedule isn't doing us any favors in that regard.

Withey is behind in his development, and Elijah isn't up to speed yet either. We probably need them both to contribute quality minutes in order to make a deep run in the tourney.

And back to the main point: we REALLY need consistent shooting and d from Brady and Tyrel to make a deep run, regardless of what Josh contributes. And we KNOW they can do it- saw it all last year and too often this year, too.

Theutus 11 years, 1 month ago

I am starting to get a little worried about Marcus to be honest... The last few games he's made a lot of really poor decisions trying to force things that just aren't there...

Not that his ups don't far outweigh his downs... But he still has a lot of room for improvement when it comes to deciding when to take the fadeaway, when to push in hard to the rim, and when to draw coverage and kick out to a shooter.

I kind of hoped he would be making better decisions at this point, but this could also be due to the fact that he figures he can push it a bit more against some of the lesser competition... Who knows.

He almost cost us the game with a ridiculous attempt that resulted in a contested airball before Selby's 3. That was a terrible decision and his brother bailed him out... Again, not trying to bash him, but there is always room for improvement, and this is where I hope he improves in the next 3 or 4 games.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if his ankle bothered him during the game. I didn't see him limping, but sometimes lateral movement is tough for a while.

JayhawkBigXII 11 years, 1 month ago

...and then transfer Morningstar over to Gill. He'd fit right in.

JayhawkBigXII 11 years, 1 month ago

I think I'd rather let Bill run it the way he wants. Us armchair coaches have won at least 17 National Championships in our minds. IMHO, T-Rob is the game-changer.

jmonley 11 years, 1 month ago

Is it the policy of the moderators of these reply boards to censor any comment that is intelligent and contrary. Cowards. Post my last two comments and let the people judge. You should work for Pravda.