Friday, December 17, 2010

Lights, camera, anticipation: Josh Selby, respecting tradition, ditches headgear, prepares for warm welcome at Allen Fieldhouse

Kansas guard Josh Selby takes questions from reporters in the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse before practice, Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010. Selby will play his first game as a Jayhawk Saturday after serving a nine-game suspension.

Videos

Selby ready for debut against USC

video thumbnail

After serving a nine-game suspension, Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby will make his debut as a Kansas Jayhawk against USC on Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas guard Josh Selby talks with reporters about his excitement for Saturday's game against USC, Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010.

A burning question was presented to Josh Selby on Day Five of “Selby Week” on Kansas University’s campus.

“Will you be wearing a headband Saturday?” Selby, KU’s flashy freshman point guard from Baltimore, was asked Thursday during a 10-minute interview session with more than a dozen print, radio and TV reporters outside the famed northwest tunnel of Allen Fieldhouse.

“No,” declared Selby, who wore white, blue, red and black headbands during his days at Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High.

“I guess it was a rule that nobody has ever wore headbands around here. I didn’t want to break that tradition,” Selby added, answering, “Yep,” when asked if he was OK starting his college career minus the headgear.

The 6-foot-2 combo guard, who had participated in a national media teleconference Monday, addressed a wide variety of topics Thursday — two days before his debut against USC (11 a.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

“Have you ever looked forward to a day more than this?” he was asked of Saturday’s tip.

“High school graduation, that’s all,” Selby said.

Asked if this actually rated bigger than graduation day, he acknowledged: “Yes, to be honest. Just being my first college game ... playing for Kansas means a lot. They have great tradition, a great atmosphere. This means a lot to me and my family.”

Selby also ...

• Said he weighs a solid 201 pounds after being listed 183 during the preseason.

• Said he modeled his game after Monta Ellis of the Golden State Warriors: “(He) can score, play defense, is quick, strong.”

• Expects a wild reaction from the stands when he takes the court for the first time.

“From what I’m hearing it’s going to go crazy. I guess I’ll wait and see.”

As to whether he’ll start or relieve in his first college game, Selby said: “I really don’t know. It doesn’t matter to me if I start or come off the bench.”

KU coach Bill Self reiterated that Selby would likely come off the bench.

“I doubt he starts,” Self said. “The five guys that have been starting ... they’ve done a decent job. They’ve performed at a pretty high level. I haven’t seen anything yet to tell me Josh deserves to start ahead of any of those guys.

“Regardless of talent and regardless of expectations and hype and all that stuff, the bottom line is you’ve still got to produce on the court. You’ve still got to be one of five and understand how to make our team better. I care about individuals, but I care a lot more about our team than individuals,” Self added. “I do believe he will do that but the starting deal is a big deal with you guys (media), trust me, that doesn’t even register with me. We just want to give our team the best chance.”

Selby has been playing with the first unit at practice. That would be the Blue unit, which generally consists of combinations of the top rotation players.

“Me and Tyshawn (Taylor) and the (Morris) twins (Marcus, Markieff) play a lot with each other. That’s usually who I’m running with,” Selby said.

Fontan added: USC (6-4) also adds a player on Saturday: Gio Fontan, a 6-foot junior out of St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., who was ineligible the first semester after transferring from Fordham. He’s a former high school teammate of KU’s Tyshawn Taylor.

Taylor referred to Fontan as “my best friend.”

Bubba talk: Self was asked if he knew Tulsa AD Bubba Cunningham, who on Thursday spurned Kansas and decided to remain Hurricane AD. Self was speaking before news came out that Cunningham had signed a contract extension at the Conference USA school.

“I don’t know him as anything else than Tulsa’s athletic director. I don’t know him well. Our paths have not crossed at TU (where Self coached), but I do like him the little I do know,” Self said. “I’ve had a chance to visit with him, but I’ve had a chance to visit with a lot of candidates. I’m real impressed with the group the (search) committee has put together. If it’s him, everybody around here will be happy. If it’s not him, I still feel the guys I’ve talked to ... we can be happy with another candidate. But certainly you guys (media) have it all figured out a lot better than I do on who it is. If that is the case, I see that as a very good hire. I don’t see that to be the case yet.”

He’s OK: Marcus Morris, who sprained his ankle in last Saturday’s game against Colorado State, said he’s “85-90 percent.”

“My trainer told me that it’s not a pain that’s going to be bad for a long time, so I have to try to go out and be as tough as I can. I’m in treatment three times a day and it’s getting better,” Morris said.

Sherron v. 2.0?: Self had a great line, comparing Selby to Sherron Collins: “He has a lot of Sherron in him. I mean that in a good way. He thinks he’s the baddest boy out there every day regardless of who else is out there with him. I think you need to have confidence like that,” Self said.

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

ParisHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Understanding young people in Mario's situation also means understanding their need for clear rules and just, firm punishment when necessary. The idea is to help them move forward, not put up roadblocks to their future. It also sends a warning that others may heed.

If this is Mario's first brush with serious trouble, there is an argument for leniency.

If his scholarship gets pulled and immediately given to Deandre Daniels, Self will look like a scumbag.

actorman 3 years, 4 months ago

Flyingfinn, how much of Jaybate's comments did you actually read? I don't blame you if you didn't get through much of them, as he can be quite longwinded (gee, you think?), but I don't think you're giving an accurate assessment of them. He never said that Little shouldn't be held accountable for what he did; in fact, he said quite the opposite ("He should pay his fines. He should even serve his time, if it comes to that. He should run the stairs. He should do community work. He should write everyone he pushed an apology letter. He should pay their medical bills. He should be given counseling about how to deal with the grief and rage of romantic break-ups ...")

I don't know what that sounds like you to do, but to me that sounds like he's saying he should be held accountable. But he's also saying that the punishment should fit the crime. Do you believe that holding Mario accountable for what he did means he should lose his scholarship? I think that would be an awfully extreme reaction for one admittedly bad incident. I agree with Jaybate that Mario's history at KU should also be taken into account when determining what his punishment should be. After all, we're not talking about a Jon Randle here, who got involved in one mess after another. This is one incident after 2 1/2 years without a problem that we know of.

Do you believe he deserves to lose his scholarship over this incident? From what we know so far, I don't think he deserves something that severe. And Jaybate, I applaud your eloquent espousing on the subject.

sleep1iopen 3 years, 4 months ago

If Selby (aka: the problem) can bring the game we all think he's gonna bring then please give us Duke vs. KU for a final in April.

flyingfinn 3 years, 4 months ago

Unbelieveable that you would take so much space to try and justify unresponsible behavior. Part of what is wrong with society today is no one is held accountable for their behavior. I applaud Caoch Self's decision and as for headbands so much banter about nothing...I never saw a headband make a 3 pointer, make a free throw, steal a ball nor make a great pass. Let the very talented young man prove himself on the court without any props

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Post Script:

Let me correct myself for using the word "depose" in the post above regarding former Chancellor Hemenway. I realize the word depose could be misunderstood. It is often used in a legal sense and I did not mean it that way. I meant interview. I would like to read an interview with former Chancellor Bob Hemenway about what he knew about the ticket scalping on his watch and what he thinks about the ticket scalping scandal that has followed after his departure.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

~I could see Daniels seeing some time at the 3, or even 2 the second semester, if he's the shooter and dribbler everyone says he is, but at 4, or 5? This would be like asking vermicelli to withstand sledge hammers.

~Bubba Cunningham has to have talked it over with his wife and both of them realized that he was young enough to wait, rather than take the KU job now, before the trial of the ticket scalpers possibly leads to more dirty laundry surfacing. And to ice the deal some oil money probably stepped forward and made staying at Tulsa quite prosperous. But I doubt more dirty laundry will surface.Still, if Bubba Cunningham is a hot property among up and coming ADs, well, he could wisely reason he could take a pass on KU...for now. I suspect that after the trials reveal no further cancer on the athletic department, someone will jump for the KU job. I know I am available. :-)

~Self has to be getting annoyed with the AD situation.

~Chancellor Bernie is staying aloof enough from things that she clearly views the situation unstable potentially contagious to her until the trials conclude.

~I still say former Chancellor Bob Hemenway is the guy I would want to depose about the ticket scalping drama, if I could choose anyone.

~judging from Keegs quick demand for an explanation about why Bubba was not hired, Keegs apparently feels some one set him up to look bad after Keegs apparently did an IOU type PR job for KU and Bubba to make Bubba seem palatable. But why would someone set up Keegs?

~One thing we know for sure. There remains a lot we don't know for sure. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

I have seen refined, urbane, wealthy, respected pillars of communities-- middle aged men and women--get their hearts broken by infidelities, and unfulfilled expectations that have done far, far worse things to each other and to friends their lovers fled to, and never receive a whit of punishment...nor in my mind did they deserve to have their lives destroyed by law.

For god's sakes, we are human beings, not robots, or perfectly behaviorally modified little chimps conditioned in Skinner Boxes. Forgive this poor, broken hearted young man. And hold nothing against the woman he perhaps found with another lover. The sap ran. Hearts were broken. Irrationality raged. The last unbroken parts of two persons were shattered. But surely this is not the kind of thing we want to ruin young men and women's lives over, at least based on what we know so far.

"Here I stand head in hand Turn my face to the wall If she's gone I can't go on Feeling two foot small Everywhere people stare each and every day I can see them laugh at me And I hear them say

Hey you've got to hide your love away Hey you've got to hide your love away

How can I even try? I can never win Hearing them, seeing them In the state I'm in How could she say to me "Love will find a way?" Gather round all you clowns Let me hear you say

Hey you've got to hide your love away Hey you've got to hide your love away"

--Lennon/McCartney

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

It is fashionable today to deny men and women are men and women, to deny that passions run high and break hard and irrationality flares up frequently among men and women. Today, men and women are supposed to be persons with emotional control capable of withstanding anything and sublimating all jealously and rage into psychobabble in real time, in the moment, as if young men and young women were already in middle age. Well, its is not that way.

If he had wielded a weapon. If he had beaten someone,. If he had done some thing to indicate that he was a serious danger to society, and not just a broken hearted college kid, then I could see punishing him much more severely.

But I had half a dozen men and the same number of women come into places I lived in over four years of college that were completely out of control from jealousy and rage. I have seen them throw lamps against walls and jump on furniture and break it. I have seen people put fists through walls and doors and then push and shove their way past protective friends to get to crying ex lovers and to then beg the other person to explain why they had done this to the other person. These were not criminals. These were young men and women cracking up momentarily under the pressure of losing that last unbroken part of their childhoods; the part that believes if I love truly, someone will surely love me back just as truly; that if I give my heart to some one fully, that that some one will give theirs to me just as fully.

To severely punish Mario Little for the rage of a broken heart, if he robbed no one of their futures, nor raped anyone, nor threatened to rape anyone, would be a sin in my book.

The sap runs among us. Our fragile identities are still bound up in the running of the sap. Women still shout "you bastard! How could you do this to me?!" at all hours of the night, and where ever the rage leads them to look for the one who jilted them. And young men still shout "you bitch! How could you do this to me?!" as they run through the night to confront the person that so recently said, "I love you, I will always love you...no matter what."

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

To the extent it is a misdemeanor crime, it is a misdemeanor crime of passion. I don't want to see his life likely ruined by taking away his scholie and his game from him. He should pay his fines. He should even serve his time, if it comes to that. He should run the stairs. He should do community work. He should write everyone he pushed an apology letter. He should pay their medical bills. He should be given counseling about how to deal with the grief and rage of romantic break-ups. But I'm not an Old Testament kind of guy on this one, not when everyone I knew in college--man or woman--flew into jealous rages and tried to confront the person that dumped them at between midnight and 3 am.

We go to college to make some mistakes, not to be crucified for them, but to learn and grow from them, while continuing to get better and more educated and papered with a degree and building toward a chance for a better life. If none of these persons it is claimed that he pushed are emotionally, or physically damaged for life, from this experience; and if none of these persons he pushed are going to lose their abilities to work and become the best they can be because of it, I do not believe justice would be served by wrecking Mario Little's shot at a better life by stripping him of his scholarship, or of playing ball, or anything.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

"Late Friday of Another Finals Week"

~I have thought long and hard on Mario Little, before commenting and perhaps someday I will make a long post about why I have reached the following conclusion: I am for keeping Mario Little on the team and letting him play, until the courts weigh in. He has been on the team without a speck of trouble until one finals night in mid December his third season on the team. Based on reports so far, he apparently hit no one, wielded no weapon, and stole nothing. As nearly as I can tell, he fell in love, got dumped, got his heart broken, and flipped from jealousy, then he tried to go to her in the middle of the night and she fled, then he went to where he believed she fled to and found her with another guy.

Everyone I knew--man or woman--went through something similar in my college years. They lost it when their heart was broken. I cannot believe how many persons are acting like this was aberrant, anomalous behavior. It didn't used to be. It probably still isn't.

I am not saying what he did was right. I'm saying he flipped one night in three years on the campus and apparently did not hit anyone. He simply pushed his way through doors and past persons trying to keep him from talking to the girl that dumped him.

Ohio Street is not Leawood, or some fine neighborhood in Topeka, or Wichita, where no one visits without a printed invitation. This is a college campus. This is the old and new apartment house ghetto on Ohio and Tennesse Streets, where college kids stagger in and out drunk at all hours of the night, and make love on hammocks in the summer, and in sleep bags in living rooms in winter, and in the rocking squeaking front, or back seats of cars with fogged windows parked at curbs.

I am saying Mario Little is probably a college student and a human being who flipped from jealously over a girl that jilted him.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

What is this 11 am tip off? Out here in PST I will have to interrupt my fricking REM sleep to get up. shower, shave, and limit myself to one steelhead in order to see the tip off!!!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Selby chose "beyond the headband": he chose KU. He could have very, very easily played ball for Bruce Pearl @ Tenn, but didnt.

William Blake 3 years, 4 months ago

Daniels is a 6'8" version of Josh Selby.... not quite the shooting touch, but almost.

I'd keep him thin and start him as a guard. His dribbling skills match any top star guard and he is superb at penetration. His spin dribble reminds me of Earvin Johnson.

William Blake 3 years, 4 months ago

Rivals has Daniels most-interested in Kansas right now with a scholie offer made by Townsend on December 2.... If the offer is accepted there is a good chance he would start classes in January.

HawkNVegas 3 years, 4 months ago

Now it's time to show up Selby. Big expectations abound, I expect him to come into his own in the next month or so.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Varlo52 3 years, 4 months ago

Here is Josh's schedule for tomorrow, according to the mob:

9 00 a.m. Stock concession stands 9:30 Walk on water demo 10:00 Take tickets 10:30 Cure the sick 11:00-1:00 Score 448 points, give 12 assists, no turnovers

Why not just let him play?

John Liddell 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm heading to San Francisco right now. Anyone know a good ku bar to watch the game @?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

...prepares for warm welcome.....

Warm!!??

Like the Normandy Invasion was just a small exercise. Like Mt.St. Helens was a smoky crevice. Like Michael Jackson could dance a little. Like Custer saw a few Indians. Like Allen Fieldhouse is just a gym. Like Gale Sayers was an decent runner. Like Wilt played some basketball. Like Scarlet Johansonn has OK looks. Like a jet engine is a little noisy. Like the Jayhawks have some banners hanging around.

COME ON!!!! The roof is gonna blow off when Josh steps onto the court for the first time, for Christ's sake!

kranny 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure that Selby knew the headband rule before he signed. If that's been the rule then why lose credibility with your current players by letting players wear them because an unproven freshman wants to. If he's that good, a headband won't matter.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

No names on the back of the jerseys, now, no head bands, next it will be no jock-straps, I have had it, "Gill get out of here"!!!!!!!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 4 months ago

Can't wear headbands? Because the baggy clown shorts is wear Self draws the line? C'mon.

Lebowski 3 years, 4 months ago

I was baffled that Vaughn, Boschee, Gregory, and any of those other guys that shaved their heads could ever play without a headband. When I shaved my head, I had major sweat in the eyes issues... It's amazing how much having just a little bit of hair on your head helps with that.

Justin Diederich 3 years, 4 months ago

I could be wrong but I think HCBS policy on headbands is you have to practice with it in order to wear it in games.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks to KUshaw on the following. This is a key quote from the article he posted a link to. Kansas is looking pretty good here on the 5 star recruiting trail, and potentially thanks to Little knocking out a 19 year old getting caught redhanded his girlfriend's bedroom:

"At this point I think Kansas is the team to beat [for Daniels] and Texas has significant ground to make up to bring back Daniels, who was once committed to the Longhorns.

Kansas has a need for a small forward with Daniels' abilities, and Mario Little's recent legal troubles may very well open up a scholarship for Daniels to enroll over the semester break. Word out of Daniels' camp, however, is that he will wait till next year to start playing.

McLemore has stated his desire to settle on a school after meeting with his family over the Christmas break. It is down to Kansas and Missouri. Kansas has been his leader, but Missouri is trying to pull an upset and land the talented St. Louis, Missouri native."

....How amazing would that be in our run for the title this year, potentially losing Little at the break & gaining a Daniels? It would take some practices to get into the system, but that's pretty awe inspiring to think that he could conceivably jump on our team midway through the season & possibly help us during the stretch run to & through the title game in April.

All in all, thanks for the link KUshaw. Looks like a couple of solid fits for Coach Self's style.

KUFan90 3 years, 4 months ago

"He thinks he’s the baddest boy out there every day regardless of who else is out there with him. I think you need to have confidence like that."

Me like.

KGphoto 3 years, 4 months ago

When asked if this was his greatest moment, he basically answered no. High school graduation was.(big kudos) Of course that didn't satisfy the "journalist" who weren't going to stop until he told them what they wanted to hear. Selby played their ridiculous game and said this was greater than graduation.

Who was the idiot who forced that answer out of him?

Marc Frey 3 years, 4 months ago

"If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that! " -Crash Davis

Let Selby wear the headband.

Rock Chalk!

KWufan 3 years, 4 months ago

KUbsee69, I think it may be a freshman thing. At that age sometimes you don't have a sense of worth until you've been through things instead of on the outside looking in for 9 games on the bench. Josh is probably just nervous and out pops they instead of we because he doesn't feel comfortable quite yet being since he hasn't played. Therefore once he gets a few games going he will relax and feel like part of the family. Rock, chalk, jayhawk, I can't wait for this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kushaw 3 years, 4 months ago

We've heard this before from Meyer (Beal and Turner), but he at least he seems optimistic with McLemore and Daniels. We'll See!

KUbsee69 3 years, 4 months ago

Like everyone else, I too am excited about Selby. But, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, on several occasions Josh has referred to KU as "they" and not "we" (ref: "playing for Kansas means a lot. They have great tradition ..."). Even Larry Brown still uses "we" when referring to KU. This, to me, does not show much "buy-in". I'm looking for the "once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk" attitude. Maybe that'll come after he's played actual games ... I hope.

Brett Forreal 3 years, 4 months ago

Could someone please take the mug shots of Little off this website or at least hide them somewhere, seriously...don't want to look at it every time....it is embarrassing. I know there everywhere else too, but to have to see them every time...

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

From April weight of 183 to a current "solid 201." Wow! I can see why his mother was somewhat startled. Either Hudy has been doing her job superbly or Josh has been loading up on the sandwiches.

2Bnamedlater 3 years, 4 months ago

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Selby has a lot of it. He says all the right things at the right time. I really hope he isn't too good to be true.

p.s. I think HCBS learned a lesson about head bans, with JR. I see why he won't allow it. I remember Tyshawn wanted to wear one too after the 18 and under games.

No means no!!

TenaciousD 3 years, 4 months ago

Gotta love Bill Self's jab at Keegan...

"But certainly you guys (media) have it all figured out a lot better than I do on who it is. If that is the case, I see that as a very good hire. I don’t see that to be the case yet.”

kwahyajjj 3 years, 4 months ago

What do you think his shot rotation will be like?

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, this is exactly the information about Selby I was looking for this morning.

JJHAWK 3 years, 4 months ago

You don't think Coach Self would call time out at the nine minute mark and then substitute Selby in do you? . . . NA!

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 4 months ago

"Do you plan on wearing underwear Josh? "Selby do you think you will have eggs for breakfast tomorrow?" "Josh what's your favorite color?"

Joe Ross 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to wear one. I just think headbands look ridunculous. Everybody knows a headband should only be worn on top of a big mushroom afro. When and if they come back in style, the headbands should be allowed. Can you dig it?

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 4 months ago

boooo let him wear the headband

Selbyville 3 years, 4 months ago

haha Monta Ellis. I remember him comparing him self to the "old" Steve Francis. His job needs to be to go and get baskets like Sherron did, only, he shouldn't be our first option. We don't want to rely on his driving skills. We'll go to him if we want to punch our opponent in the mouth right out of a timeout or something like that. I also anticipate teams trying zone on us when guys some combo of Ty and Josh are in.

I'll be driving 5 hours from the Lou to come see this!

Students: If you guys have something big planned, let me know I'd like to be a part of it, thanks.

• The Arrival -

Rock Chalk Josh

kushaw 3 years, 4 months ago

By the way........1 Freaking day till "Showtime Selby"!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 4 months ago

Aaron Miles sported a headband or two in his day. As a fan of headbands, and sports flair in general, I'm a little disappointed Selby won't be wearing his. Not sure when KU got so anti headband. Is this a Self thing? Like the no cornrows for Sherron issue or something?

Also, is a story about headbands considered the definition of a slow news day?