Originally published December 13, 2010 at 06:13p.m., updated December 14, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Zack Stoudt chooses Ole Miss

Juco QB passes on Jayhawks

Zack Stoudt, the No. 2-ranked junior-college quarterback in the country, will not be coming to Kansas University.

Stoudt, one of the top priorities on the KU coaching staff’s recruiting board, orally committed to Mississippi on Monday night, marking a sour end to weeks of anticipation and effort by the Jayhawks.

KU was one of seven schools that extended a scholarship offer to Stoudt, a 6-foot-5, 235-pound, pro-style quarterback from Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

In October, KU coach Turner Gill drove to Iowa to watch Stoudt play. Stoudt returned the favor by making a visit to Lawrence the weekend of Nov. 20 for the Jayhawks’ game against Oklahoma State. At the time, all signs seemed to indicate that Stoudt would commit to KU.

“Right now, Kansas is my favorite,” Stoudt said on Nov. 23. “Those other schools are going to have to beat them out.”

One did, and, now, KU is left scrambling. It appears that Mississippi’s conference and history of producing NFL-caliber quarterbacks was a big pull for the Ohio native.

“It came down to the opportunity to play in the SEC,” Stoudt told Neal McCready of Rivals.com. “On top of that, the opportunity to play at Ole Miss is very good. Coach (Houston) Nutt is a great guy, and I really liked (co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks) coach (Dave) Rader. They need a guy to come in, and the spot is wide-open.”

Stoudt also told McCready that informing the KU coaches of his decision was tough.

“They are a great group of guys,” he said. “Coach (Chuck) Long was as good a guy as I’ve ever been around. He probably would’ve been a great coach for me.”

Losing out on Stoudt is a big blow for the Jayhawks, who will enter the spring with just two experienced quarterbacks, Jordan Webb and Quinn Mecham, on the roster.

Webb was the Jayhawks’ leading passer this year as a red-shirt freshman, but his stats and sporadic play overall were underwhelming. He finished 121-of-214 (56.5 percent) for 1,195 yards, with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions. Webb also added 84 yards rushing in nine games, including seven starts.

Mecham, in four starts, had a higher completion percentage than Webb (61-of-102, 59.8 percent) and threw for 554 yards and four TDs, with five interceptions.

Other existing options for the Jayhawks in 2011 include a pair of former quarterbacks now listed as wide receivers.

Kale Pick, the junior-to-be who was KU’s opening day starter at quarterback in 2010, and Christian Matthews, a highly touted dual-threat QB out of high school, also have experience at the position. But it’s highly unlikely that either player would return to quarterback next season. Late last month, Gill said Pick was “on board at receiver, full-throttle, ready to go.” And Matthews hasn’t taken many meaningful snaps at QB throughout his KU career.

Help is on the way, but that help won’t arrive until August and will come in the form of true freshman Michael Cummings, a 6-foot, 196-pound dual-threat quarterback from Killeen, Texas, who missed the second half of his senior season because of a knee injury and still is on crutches. Cummings shapes up as a likely red-shirt candidate.

Cummings committed to Kansas in June and is expected to sign in February. He said the chance to play for Gill and Long, KU’s offensive coordinator, was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

“Playing for them will be the best of worlds,” Cummings told Rivals in June. “They were both great quarterbacks. Coach Gill was a mobile quarterback and coach Long was more of a pocket-passer. So they will be great coaches that can help me a lot. I spent a lot of time around them. Coach Gill is a man who knows what he wants to do with his program. He wanted me to be a part of it.”

Comments

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

I think we need to purchase new uniforms for the band so that we can say that we may not have a football team but, we have the best dressed band in the big 12. No names on the back, please.

Keith Hummel 3 years, 4 months ago

The fact Gill was going after a 2 star Juco QB so hard says allot about his lack of confidence in our current QB's. Either Mecham needs to develop some arm strength, or Webb needs to develop some accuracy. My choice right now would Mecham because he plays with poise and protects the ball, but he can't throw the deep route. Webb has all the raw skills and I love his competitiveness, but he can't hit a moving target and lacks poise. Perhaps they should give Pick another shot at it, but the little that we did see of him was not impressive. All in all, the QB position remains a giant question mark. Not a good thing when your trying to convince recruits to jump on board.

Larry Ewart 3 years, 4 months ago

This is to bad for the program. But, honestly I am not surprised. Ole Miss has had more success as of late and we definitely are looking at another year in which we will be at the bottom of the conference. I still go back to Turner's decision to bench Pick after the NDSU game. The kid won the starting job over months and weeks of practice and then thrown to the wolves over a play or two. Let me ask all of you, of the three QBs who is the better athlete? Can the other two make the switch to WR? Pick has been clocked at 4.5 in the 40. Turner has something againest him, I do not know what it is but to bury him this past year speaks lowly of Gill in my opinion. We really do not know if he could perform or not. As far as JUCO recruits go, Kansas has probably the best overall juco FB in the US. What about Butler's QB? Coffeyville? I am told that they can play. A few years back I watched DC juco qb Omar something who went to Troy St who took them to a couple of bowls. The guy was outstanding. Buy MM would not recruit him. I am worried about next year already.

gongs4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

Looks like it's going to be another one of those years...

Luckily, it's not football season for months. Right now our program can be ignored, sort of like a non-symptomatic disease. The pustules won't form till long after basketball season.

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 4 months ago

Have fun in mississippi........loser

KURiggins 3 years, 4 months ago

Check Rivals.com

Darrian Miller 4 stars RB Blue Springs, MO Blue Springs 5'10" 181 4 stars 5.8 10/25/10

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

Gill is not a coach or recruiter, he might get some 2 of 3, but that is it. What 4* good recruit would want to come into a situation like this, last years record, unproven coach, new AD coming in, and a total record KU has in football over the past years. Mangino and Snyder are proven coaches and good players will gravitate to a program like that. Proof has been shown there.

KURiggins 3 years, 4 months ago

By the way..how did Coach Mangino finish last year? I mean correct me if I am wrong ..we dropped seven...that's right ..SEVEN in a row. With a team a lot of us, me included hoped would repeat with a possible Orange Bowl berth. Coach Gill inherets a team with ..no experience at QB, no WR that really scares you, and no depth at RB. Did we have a tough season? No doubt, but I expected that. I am a realist. I did NOT expect last year. With the supposed Mosiah Mangino..who..I will remind you again dropped seven in a row..that was with Reesing, Meier, Briscoe and Sharp. We may have not had a lot of bright spots this year...but I for one took away a good feeling from the Georgia Tech win. And the "Thrilla on the Hilla" over Colorado. For the record Mangino..for as great as he was..could not beat Colorado last year..and based on a lot of comments on these blogs...Colorado should always be easy to beat..I mean what is the deal. Either they are or they aren't. Keep going Coach Gill. I for one have hope for next year and years to come. I remember that you inhereted a KU team in ..if you were lucky the middle of the recruiting season. Time will tell..but James Sims looks like a beast, and cannot wait to see Brandon Bourbon. Its always easier to criticize than to coach.. go get em Coach Gill. And Rock Chalk!

KURiggins 3 years, 4 months ago

Its one miss, no big deal. Besides Matt Tait could not have been more wrong if he had tried. I do not see where there was one single bright spot on that OL anywhere. Duane Z. or otherwise. The entire unit recruited by Mark "Thank God he is Gone" Mangino did look soft. Luckily Coach Gill realized this and the first unit he addressed was OL. Our QB was not so much the problem as how lousy our OL line. OL has to play with attitude. Nebraska where Coach Gill played only ran two plays for 20+ years Option Right and Option Left. Try and stop it. No one really could? KU didn't. Why not? The option is not that complex to defend, if you are assignment sound. Why could no one stop them? OL attitude. Not just great OL, but they were determined to push your DL around..you were NOT pushing them around. Coach Gill went and got OL first. And I think Jordan Webb has real potential. How about..now crazy thought here KU fans...how about the fact he had no playing experience.Because, that moron Mangino even in blowouts never gave significant playing time to anyone but Reesing. Oh I forgot Kale Pick got to play QB/RB a couple of times, so he could risk breaking his neck. Webb, had never played in a DI game before. A weak OL, NO running game..and let us look at the very few moments. I would not even say games but moments where we sorta, kinda had a not so weak OL..OMG..OMG we ran the ball over 100yards ..as a result James Sims(a Gill Recruit I might add and a true Fr) got going and our QB whoever it was got run support and did well. Georgia Tech and the 4th Q of Colorado game. By the way, for those Mangino lovers out there..how did Mangino do against Colorado last year? I don't know..I think we lost that game. We a Sr QB, Sr WR, Jr WR, Sr RB, Sr SS ... Our problem was not QB, or even RB..it was a weak, very weak OL Mangino recruited. Gill is trying to fix that ..and bring in some decent OL.

Hawk44 3 years, 4 months ago

But, but Gill didn't get a recruit!!!!! He has to go!! Right?!?! Mangino got every recruit he ever wanted!!!!!!1111oneone

Seriously, Mangino had big time recruits come in and visit and whiffed on (William Cole) and got lesser known who succeeded (Dez).

Could happen here with Cummings (who by the way has great video).

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

If KU had landed Stoudt, it would have proven Gill's superior recruiting ability. Posters would have said, "See? He is God."

But as that didn't happen, it's no reflection on Gill's recruiting prowess whatsoever, because Stoudt felt more like going somewhere else. That's all.

I getcha

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

The kid made the right choice, why would anyone choose a KU for football?

danmoore 3 years, 4 months ago

I’m not as bummed by this as a lot of people are. I judge the quality of a recruit not by the stars but by the teams that want him. If he was that good someone other than two schools who combined for 7 wins would have recruited him.

None of our current QB’s lit up the conference last season but a player is only as good as his team allows him. If Todd was our QB we don’t lose the NDSU game and go 4 – 8 instead of 3-9. Every area of our offense needs to improve and if that happens our QB will improve as well.

I’m on board with Gill but if this team does not improve next season, much of the criticism leveled against him will be warranted. The lopsided losses against mediocre teams cannot be attributed to lack of talent or players in a new system. Not saying TG has to win 6 games but at the very least we need to be competitive.

Jamaal25Chiefs 3 years, 4 months ago

Talib was a 2*. . . . A * doesn't mean SH1T. . . . its all about work ethic and the coaching staff. . . We just had LITTLE talent on key positions . . . the best coaches can't make a player good . . unless he his willing too put the work in the weight room. . . or has the given talent . . . Gill has brought in a lot of good talent. . . with more too come. . . . this coming year will still be disappointing. .. with the freshmen to be needing the EXP. . . . but the year after that. . . watch out. . . . PATIENCE is the key word too use at a time like this.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

This also falls onto the sports info department or whoever it is that "leaks" out information to the papers. It should of never been said that this guy was a "top priority" instead it should of came out as "a good get" "added depth" or "player that could come in and compete for a job." He should of been downplayed to the public while telling the player the truth to his face. Instead, this staff has essentially told it's team and fans that this guy was a must get for the program and we are screwed without him. And since we didn't get him, well, let's just say the season ticket office had another slow day today.

Coyotehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

If theres one thing this article proves, its that

100 LOVES EGG ON HIS FACE......

Kirk 3 years, 4 months ago

"young miss" sounds better than "ole miss"...to me.

The reason some of us are "Gill haters" is because we didn't like having our faces rubbed in this nonsense of shoving out a competitive coach for politically correct reasons by an old buzzard who didn't give a damn about alumni or anything else at KU except money, and who ran off after hiring an unproven guy who made is name playing, not coaching.

We don't like seeing idiotic steps backward -- especially when we were sold on getting a "next level" coach.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

I said that Gill is not a recruiter and he wasn't up here in Nebr either. I guess my point has been proven. Gill was not a good recruiter here at NU, the other coaches were the ones to do the recruiting. There is not one player that played here at NU, that can say that he was recruited by Gill, and that is why he came to NU. A quarterback with any kind of talent is not going to come to KU without a very good coach recruiting him. Mangino did it, what a surprise. Gill, 0. GILL IS NOT A COACH.

Fred Davis 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I guess being a non-stop hater of KU Football has become chic since Turner Gill took over considering most of the ignorant, doomsday posts thus far... This is definitely a blow to Gill's staff, but the SEC is the SEC, and right now, the Big 12 and KU are going to lose out to the SEC and Ole Miss... It's recruiting, it happens. I don't think this is an indictment on Gill's recruiting ability as much as it is a product of recruiting... It's a grimey process, and anyone that knows anything about recruiting will tell you that... Who knows what Houston Nutt said to this kid, and who knows whether the kid will ever step on the field in Oxford... Either way, there's no reason to bemoan the situation, the reality is, Jordan Webb needs to get his mind right and Chuck Long needs to earn his paycheck - because we're going to see just how good of a QB Coach he is... From watching Webb, the kid has the physical tools, but he lacks the swagger needed to excel at the QB position, especially in the Big 12.... Quin? I'm not sure what tools he has...

Remember - Mangino struggled mightily at the QB position after Bill Whitemore left until he struck jackpot with Reesing - and to some of those above - those of us who watched film on Reesing in high school knew he had the skills to be a baller - he was just a midget.... I'm not sure what to expect from Webb - if he gets it, that light goes on, who knows, he could shock everybody... On the positive side - he's got all offseason to take the job, and if he can't take it from Quin, then we know he's not a D-I Quarterback... But I'm hoping the kid can pull it together... He'll only be a redshirt sophomore with another year of the offense under his belt...

justanotherfan 3 years, 4 months ago

Short term, this definitely hurts. Stoudt would've solidified the QB position next year while Cummings got healthy and learned the system. Then, in Spring practice 2012, Cummings would've had a chance to win the starting job and lead the team.

So this hurts in 2011, but may help in 2012. By then, we will have our great lineman haul from this season ready to contribute, as well as a new QB, a faster defense and a stable of high quality RBs (Sims, Bourbon, Miller, Smith, etc.).

I think next year we will be more successful, although with the tougher schedule, that may not be reflected in wins. Our defense should improve with Terry and MacDougald manning the back line at safety. Huldon Tharp returns at LB, where he should really help. Toben will have a full spring under his belt on defense. That right there should improve our defense tremendously.

Offensively, it will come down to line play. If we can run the football, we can be competitive. If we can't, it will be really ugly.

kudzutexas 3 years, 4 months ago

As someone that attended Ole Miss, (but loves the Jayhawks) the grove, campus, greek houses, oxford square, beautiful countyside, and opportunity to play in the SEC would be hard for anyone to turn down. However, Mecham was a top juco quarterback with a weak arm. Stoudt was a 62 percent completion quarterback in juco. If I'm not mistaken he completed less than 50 percent in his final juco game which he lost. Although bigger, he doesn't seem very mobil in the films he posted on youtube. Maybe he's not such a great loss. It would be nice to have more competition out there pushing the other quarterbacks. We'll see it Stoudt takes Ole Miss to the promised land. Watch his tapes. I think he'll be eaten alive in the SEC.

Our other great juco transfers (Jocques Crawford, Vernon Brooks, Calvin Rubles, Travis Stephens, Rod Harris, Quintin Woods, Patrick Resby, and Nathan D'Cunha) didn't set the world on fire.

Roy Scherff 3 years, 4 months ago

Jaminrawk has got it right. 2012 is the year. calm down, behave like mature adults and support the program.

KGphoto 3 years, 4 months ago

I've been sayin' for a while, I'd rather have a dual threat QB in college anyway. The NFL can have their pocket passers, and the SEC will provide them. Dual threat QBs win games in the NCAA. Especially if you aren't in top ten territory for pocket passers.

I'd much rather have a run-oriented offense, with a legit dual threat QB.

The problem could be a clash of offensive philosophies. Chuck Long, the pocket guy vs. Turner Gill the option guy. It hasn't been mentioned, but how could that not possibility lurk in the backs of their minds?

KU is built to run. So run.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 4 months ago

everyone who is saying that this is a recruiting failure and a reputation killer needs to learn a less from the head basketball coach. Just because a shot went in doesn't mean that it was a good shot. And just because an opposing players shot didn't go in doesn't mean that you played good defense.

Gill may have recruited this QB perfectly and just not landed him because he wanted to be in the SEC (or for whatever other reason). No fault of Coach Gill's. Just like when Bill Self didn't get Harrison Barnes.

midhawktx 3 years, 4 months ago

I admit that I have been very critical of the entire coaching staff this season. We now get to see how these coaches teach and coach going into next year. Three things I am going to evaluate for next year: 1. Are the players in shape; 2. Are our players willing to be fired up to compete for four quarters; 3. How is the progression at the QB position. If they are good coaches then we will see a huge improvement in the QB position. Remember, Mangino did not have 4 star QB's.

khummel60 3 years, 4 months ago

Here's an interesting quote from the Scout web site (see http://scoutcombines.scout.com/2/1030927.html ):

"I just clicked with the Ole Miss staff and really like how balanced their offense is," Stoudt said. "I also think their staff can prepare me for the next level. I liked what they had coming back on their offensive line with all their starters back."

Clearly, KU's OL doesn't compare well against many Div-1 teams right now, much less Ole Miss. Add to that the opportunity to play in the SEC, and this just seems like a no-brainer for Stoudt. Maybe we should be impressed that Kansas was even able to make this a difficult decision for him.

jayhawkjed 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure you Mangino haters can say Gill has outrecruited Mangino at this point in his tenure. Mangino brought in a JUCO QB his first year, Bill Whittemore, who then led us to a bowl. If one of Gill's RB can do the same, I'll stand corrected. Personally I think the most important position on the field is QB and in year 2, Mangino did a better job than Gill has this year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Dare I say gill and his staff didn't "execute"

On a serious note, anybody heard anything from the "group of recruits huddled, deciding to change a program" that were on campus not that long ago?

kesmithstl1 3 years, 4 months ago

Ol' Miss wasn't going to take the chance of letting the next Cam Newton slip through again. Wonder what it took?

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 4 months ago

Are there any other JUCO QBs who are interested in KU? We do need to give Michael Cummings a year to get adjusted to the speed at this level and get stronger (and recover)... Neither of our current crop of QBs can take us where we want.

caribhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

KU still ranked 8th in big 12 football recruiting by Rivals.com - - enough said! One four-star recruit at RB, one defensive linemen recruit, no QB that can make a difference, UG! Recruiting was supposed to be TG's edge and he can't even recruit his college position, not even the combo of him and Long can recruit a real QB. Stoudt was not going to be the answer anyway. TG left Buffalo in a mess, they are ranked last or near last in NCAA in almost every category this year - - he really pulled the wool over Lew's eyes and capitalized on one good season This is how the KU program will look if he is here 3-4 years.....

DevilHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Matt,

Thanks for updating the article - it helps confirm what some of us expected about the decision.

Bear86 3 years, 4 months ago

Disappointed in Stoudt's choice but not surprised. I'm still holding judgment on HCTG but in light of what happened to the conference this summer Kansas better put a winning Football team on the field soon or we will find our selves on the outside looking in when this shaky conference (controlled by the Tx hick's) falls apart in a few years. Any one else have confidence in Dan Bebbe??

F-Texas !!!!!!

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 4 months ago

In this class there is not one recruit that has chose KU over any legitimate school

sdoyel 3 years, 4 months ago

Will all of you guys bashing Gill also blame Self for missing out on the top talent in this year's recruiting class too?

Layne Pierce 3 years, 4 months ago

It just might be that he likes Mississippi tang better than Kansas. Fact is without an improved line, Tom Brady couldn't right this ship. Watch out for Cummings, bad knew will be recovered. But either way give Mecham time, and Webb a little more experience, and they will be sufficient, until Cummings is healthy to play. Cummings is a little bit of Turner Gill and Tommy Frazier. We don't want a saviour we want a team.

ku has always had the great individuals, but nothing to go with them. What Gill is trying to do is change that. He may fail, but the idea is the only way to make kU into a real BCS program.

I like the speed he is recruiting. Now they have to come up with the configuration to take advantage of it.

Mike Hart 3 years, 4 months ago

Ok, so we lost out on the #2 Juco QB recruit. Gill and his staff almost landed him, it came down to KU and Ole Miss. So now what? You guys want to give up on Gill and his staff? That attitude just sucks. We can give Bob Velesante and Terry Allen 3-5 years each and yet... you guys are already writing off Gill after just one year, taking over a program that embarrassed the university with all it's drama and scandals the previous season. You call that giving Gill a fair chance?? Shamed to call you Jayhawk fans.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I'm gonna say that 90% of the time the SEC school is going to win. Ole Miss produced Archie and Eli Manning. Even Jevan Snead was on the national radar for a few years. Why are people really surprised he chose the school with the CBS contract?

ebizzle 3 years, 4 months ago

How is this a surprise?

We were leading when the next best option was Toledo...now enter Ole Miss and we lose out.

I can't believe it. How many kids have chosen KU over the SEC lately? This isn't on Gill.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 4 months ago

Huge disappointment. There was no excuse not to get him here. I stated approximately one week ago to GUARANTEE HIM HE WOULD START NEXT YEAR. Too late now.

The coaching staff is going to have to adjust to the players and call the right plays, and that doesn't include the same ones over and over again, until they find successful plays after the team can prove itself on the O-Line, which isn't going to happen til at least the 2011-2012 season. Another Allen is what I see. All Hype, No Delivery. GLEN MASON ANYONE?

gorilla10 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, Im more disappointed in all you KU fans that talk trash left and right on Turner Gill. He is a Jayhawk that wants nothing more than to turn this program around and this is the kind of love you give him! ........I will never talk trash on KSU fans again when the fans of the team I love act like this..........

Steven Mathew 3 years, 4 months ago

Unbelievable. Turner Gill is terrible at recruiting. Ole Miss just enters the picture a couple weeks ago and snatches away someone who Turner has been recruiting for a long time. Turner has got to go. He can't coach, can't teach, and obviously cannot recruit. Get the hell out of here Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 4 months ago

i must admit....i'm fairly stunned. since his teammate committed, i figured he was a lock. ole Miss would just be given the once over...the courtesy look up and down...and then he'd turn toward his date.....turned out, we got two timed.

there truly are no more QBs on the board....unless you really go down to the "potential" of some of these kids.....the kid from Knoxville has been offered by Buffalo and Eastern Mich...and Frank Arbanas from Rockhurst fame has no offers...although the three local schools have shown "interest."

Next year, unless Meacham wins the job outright with a great spring, or, Christian Mathews makes the transition back, could be another rough year at QB. Unless Cummings comes back from the knee and just blows everyone's doors off....very doubtful though.

Turner Gill knows this: it's tough to win if your QB can't make plays on a consistent basis. we have to get some QBs in here that can play...and fast.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

@ lbranchcrewKU---Well said! +1.

David Hodges 3 years, 4 months ago

Some Perspective... Lets take a minute and look at some of the recruits that have opted to choose another school over Kansas in, oh i don't know, let's say-the last eight years. I seem to remember we were pretty high up on Terrence Jones' list! Strange that no one has called for Coach Self's job or even claimed that he personally failed when Brandon Knight chose... Yep! Twice! In one year! To the same coach.... Calamari anyone? Troy Gillenwater ring a bell? Self lost him a few years back to OSU, his own alma mater. I thought he was supposed to be good at recruiting? By now I'm going to assume you get the point! And ya, we landed Selby... these are high school kids. You do remember how mature, prepared, and responsible most high school kids are right? I'm not saying you guys don't have the right to criticize Gill, but seriously... get over yourselves. The guy has officially been here for one year, coaching another coaches players, and he has already out recruited Mangiant in his first season. And for all the HATERS... Gill has a better overall record in his first season than our previous (((center of gravitational pull))) and he has beaten a ranked team! Ya. Ya... Georgia Tech... No Good... you aren't telling me anything that I haven't already heard.
Its funny to see so many rally behind someone who clearly cared so little for his players, KU Parking Dept. employees, or even his own health. You've got kids man... I'd bet money they want you to stick around.
On to my point. Grow up and give the guy a chance! And please... lose the "but I didn't support the hire" replies. It's called OPTIMISM. Give it a try. Or at the very least try and be constructive.
I hope that at your next job this scenario plays out. Day one: All seems well as you get to know your coworkers and surroundings. Day two: Your boss flags you down and says "Ya... Sorry... but our expectations for you were completely unreasonable and unreachable, and oh bye the way... Where going to have to let you go because of it. Don't worry we still have to pay you for the next four years." Doesn't sound that reasonable.
Please, by all means, have your opinions, share them from time to time... but the constant Turner Gill diatribes are quickly becoming distractions to the real reason people come to this site--to read about and support the Jayhawks! But thats just my opinion. Almost forgot. Good luck in the SEC Stoudt! Would have loved to have you as a Jayhawk. That said, I wish you the best of luck at Ole Miss none the less.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Jaminrawk---Just for the record, my life isn't sad. I guess we all know what happens when you ass----u/me.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

Two heisman level players turned coaches couldn't land a juco qb. Guess we can put to rest what great recruiters they are!

Chris Bruning 3 years, 4 months ago

oh well.....lets get a good QB out of high school....not JUCO. I guess im still kinda hoping Bubba Starling realizes he chose the wrong school (NEBRASKA) and decommits, then its either ku or kstate. this was a bad choice for this kid with martinez being just a freshman and another dual threat qb that is ranked right below bubba commiting to nebraska also....

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Hello....this is Lawrence, Kansas. Is anybody out there!

ryanm1988 3 years, 4 months ago

What was Quin Mecham ranked last year?

Jaminrawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure why Stoudt is being considered this messiah figure that was going to fix KU. It's not like we were neck and neck with USC, Florida, Alabama and Ohio State for the guy. Yeah, it sucks to miss out on a guy that might be really good, but he was a JUCO player whose only BCS offers came from Ole Miss, KU and Rutgers.

I also don't get why people on here actively root for KU failures. It seems like a big waste of time. If you dedicate your life to reveling in every unfortunate situation that happens to Gill, then you lead a sad life indeed.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 4 months ago

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangit

kureignman 3 years, 4 months ago

I think it's funny how the same people that were dogging Stoudt last week are now saying this is a recruiting failure that we didn't get him. I guess you can't please some people.

kranny 3 years, 4 months ago

Stoudt's only listed as a 2 star and he wasn't being chased by overly impressive schools. His brother is actually listed in the top 100 on scout and he isn't. Yea I know, rankings don't mean anything but just sayin'. Also listed as not being very mobile which gets you hurt in the college game. Hopefully Cummings gets his knee back and there are a few other QBs left.

prairie_rattler 3 years, 4 months ago

Seriously... Stoudt wasn't the anwer anyway. Gill's done a wonderful job recruiting the base... I have no doubt he and the other coaches will develop a highly servicable quarterback in the near future.

alphajay 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't know---this particular quarterback MUST be the ONLY up-side player at the position anywhere! Or could it be that there are others, maybe better ones, that KU will have an opportunity to get signed? ------- Just askin'.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

In this day of John Calipari tactics, I guess it's not over yet...

He hasn't signed anything, at least not yet...

If you're having second thoughts, come on over to Lawrence, Zack Stoudt, Ole Miss doesn't have a line to protect you against SEC defense!!!!!!!

Our guys will be huge!!!!!!!!!

DarthJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Disappointing. I kept checking in all day to see if he had made his decision, but deep down I knew he was going to pick ole miss. If he thinks he has any pro potential, going to an SEC school is probably a better bet for him. As long as gill is here,anyway.

MST3K 3 years, 4 months ago

This hurts. This might of been Gill's most important recruit yet. I hope it's not the difference between whether or not he's still here in three years.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

This is quite the announcement and a disappointing end for the Jayhawks. Hope this is not habit forming for Coach Gill and his staff. Remember, like I said before, the clock is ticking and the pressure is on.

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Bad luck. Apparently he likes being under Nutt. Have fun playing in the SEC, Stoudt.

hailtoku 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry if Gill doesn't win 6 games next year he has to go.

holtzymal 3 years, 4 months ago

In the SEC, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. Ole Miss may have sweetened the pot for Mr. Stoudt.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 4 months ago

hey 100

houston nutt 1 turner gill 0

re-hahahahahahah-re-hahahahahahaha-cru-hahahahahahahahaha-it

re-hahahahahahah-re-hahahahahahaha-cru-hahahahahahahahaha-it

re-hahahahahahah-re-hahahahahahaha-cru-hahahahahahahahaha-it

khummel60 3 years, 4 months ago

Very bad news indeed. It's not that Stoudt was a guaranteed winner, but he at least gave us some hope for a different result. I have little confidence that we'll see substantially different results next year with our existing QB's (hope they prove me wrong). Difficult to get amped up about a team that has no proven QB.

DevilHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

No doubt about it: that is bad news.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 4 months ago

Bad, bad news. Gill's (and his staff) reputation as a recruiter just took a big hit. When Pinkel was hired at Mizzou he told the fans he'd always have a quarterback, and he has. We have yet to get an elite college quarterback. Reesing doesn't really count IMO. Nobody thought he would amount to anything. This hurts. I hope all you guys singin' the praises of Cummings are right...

minipman 3 years, 4 months ago

welp.. lets prepare ourselves for a repeat of this year, next year.. they need to try christian mathews at qb.. thats what he played in high school.. or mayb just have open try- outs to the entire campus.. mayb there is one kid out of 20 thousand that can possibly throw a football because webb and mecham sure cant.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 4 months ago

Is this the part where I join all the other "complainers" by saying that this was a massive recruiting failure? This was Gill's first opportunity to land a difference-maker in recruiting. I, like many, remain unimpressed.