Monday, December 13, 2010

Josh Selby a ‘luxury’ for KU basketball

Jayhawks should benefit from final part

Kansas players Josh Selby, left, Niko Roberts, and Jordan Juenemann celebrate a dunk by teammate Markieff Morris during the second half, Saturday, Dec. 11, 2010 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Off to a 9-0 start without Josh Selby, Kansas University’s basketball players can only wonder how strong they’ll be with the country’s No. 1-ranked prospect in the lineup.

“We’re good now. I think we’ll be excellent when he gets here because he’s a point guard and a 2 (off guard) who can shoot the ball real well,” KU junior Marcus Morris said of the McDonald’s All-American, who has completed his nine-game NCAA-mandated suspension and will be eligible to play in Saturday’s game against USC (11 a.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

“A good piece of our team is about to join us. That’s definitely a positive,” Morris added.

Morris concedes the Jayhawks have fared well minus the 6-foot-2, 183-pounder out of Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High.

“I don’t think we need anything,” Morris said of the No. 4-ranked Jayhawks, who whipped Colorado State, 76-55, on Saturday in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“It’s a luxury to have him. We can’t wait to have him. I feel he’s one of us day in and day out. Getting to know him on and off the court, I can’t wait until he plays. He’s like my brother, like the rest of the guys are.”

Senior guard Tyrel Reed, who scored 11 points in 31 minutes Saturday, said he’s ready for the team to take on its final part.

“I mean, it’s going to be good. I’m excited for Josh. I think everybody is excited for Josh to get out there,” Reed said. “He’s one of our teammates. He’s one of our own. He’s been practicing with us. It’s not going to be like he’s just coming out of the blue playing for us.”

If Reed’s minutes must go down, so be it.

“That will be for coach Self to decide,” Reed said of possible alterations to the rotation. Self has said Selby will have to earn his minutes, and the freshman is well aware of that.

“I don’t think any of our guards are worried about it. We are all unselfish and excited to have another good player back there. He is going to help our team,” Reed added.

After viewing the films: Self, who expressed disgust with KU’s play during his postgame media session Saturday, reflected on the game Sunday on his weekly coach’s TV show.

“The atmosphere was not a lively one (in Sprint Center stands), but we made it that way,” Self said. “I was disappointed with our play, to be candid. To me, we are right there. Teams go through this all the time. It’s nice to go through that and still win.”

CSU had a defensive game plan that tested KU’s big men.

“They crowded it in there so tight it was very, very tough to get easy baskets inside unless you are very patient,” Self said. Markieff Morris had 12 points, Marcus Morris eight, Thomas Robinson seven and Jeff Withey two.

“When we were patient, we were able to pretty much get whatever we wanted.”

Self added: “We didn’t make shots yesterday really for the first time all year.”

KU hit 25 of 54 shots for 46.3 percent. The Jayhawks made eight of 23 threes.

“I like the fact Tyrel was aggressive shooting the ball,” Self said of Reed, who made three of 10 threes. “Elijah (Johnson, 2-for-2 from three) shot the ball very well the last couple games. Thomas (Robinson) was 1-for-7 from the free-throw line. We probably scored more points off his misses than we would have scored off makes because we got it back twice and scored,” Self added, laughing.

Local player makes good: Self was impressed with CSU’s Dorian Green, the former Lawrence High standout who scored 10 points in 30 minutes. He hit two of three threes.

“How ’bout Dorian?” Self said on his TV show. “How ’bout that range on his first shot (deep three to open scoring)? I really wanted us to play a lot better. I don’t think we played well at all. But I was happy for Dorian. He was able to come home and play well. He was terrific, especially the first half.”

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

100 10 years, 12 months ago

This team will really have the chance to grow into something really special in the next couple weeks....

It's time to trim the tree with some Xtreme passing drills....

Also boys, it's time to start running again when the option is there. Increase the level of fun & push the ball through... Now here's the catch & here's the way the fun level increases by five-fold...

Defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm talking energetic, hands on the floor/passing lanes D, swiping those passes....

Combine this tight perimeter D with interior suffocating post up D & crisp (non lazy pass) passing, comes a Jayhawk team Coach Self can't even find fault with....

Goal against USC: 0 turnovers, 15 steals, 50 rebounds.

DevilHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Set at least a somewhat realistic goal. Something like 30 assists, 15 steals, 50 rebounds, 7 turnovers.

100 10 years, 12 months ago

We're playing USC...

I know, I know, zero turnovers seems impossible...

Now...

That said, let's see if KU can prove you wrong....

(never tell your team to "strive to have" seven turnovers, they'll end up with 24, tell them if they get zero turnovers in a game they get to watch Coach Self do a hundred pushups...)

Then if they get mad after the game for a split second because they got 3 TO's over the course of the game.... So be it. Coach Self can smile & not do his pushups.

This is USC....

This is a time to get better & focus on the key things that will make us a championship team come April.

24 TO's isn't cutting it.

The goal is zero.... See if it can be done.

DevilHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

0 turnovers just is not going to happen with this team.

The goal is always to have 0 turnovers, but it's not realistic. We currently average 14 turnovers per game, so cutting that to 7 would be major progress.

hailtoku 10 years, 12 months ago

There is a reason football coaches tell their team to get 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing and not 1,000 yards passing 5,000 yards rushing.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 12 months ago

To that point I watched some Tennesse highlights the other night...they are agressive, unselfish, hard to the basket and nasty. Long and qucik also! We have the players to go deep but always need to be in the driver seat breaking the speed limit to keep the D of the other teams on their heels.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

I really like Reed's responses about being unselfish. I've been saying for the last few weeks now that Self has had a plan and a reason for both Reed and Morningstar starting in favor of guys like Little, Releford, and EJ. Most of the complaints have been directed towards Morningstar, but I found Self's quote in yesterday's article all the more reason to support the idea and the reason behind Morningstar starting. Because it makes perfect sense.

“Josh will be a nice boost to us, but we shouldn’t need a boost,” Self said. “Here’s the other thing: How will guys who’ve been getting attention handle not getting attention because the next couple weeks will be about Josh, and Josh didn’t bring that on himself? That’s just the way it is. Now you have a different element. He’s going to add a lot of energy and juice. So if we handle it right, I think he’ll be a great asset to us.”

Sure, EJ and Releford could be receiving more minutes or even start, but it hasn't made sense up to this point in the season because of the Selby factor coming up on Saturday. That's why starting Morningstar up to this point and however long it takes Selby to get comfortable all the more reason why it's smart to have Morningstar as your guy..............."He gets it just the way Self gets it".

Kurt Eskilson 10 years, 12 months ago

Astute observations, kushaw … I agreed the first time you posted your theory. It's a luxury to have a role player like Brady who gladly tries his best no matter how much or little he's asked to do. Even though he is not a tremendous athlete, he makes the players around him better … whether he's on the court or on the bench!

Alohahawk 10 years, 12 months ago

With Selby's availability, Morningstar will most likely be hit the hardest when it comes to losing minutes. Perhaps Self's thinking has been: Give Morningstar the minutes now, and when Selby enters the picture, no one else will lose the minutes they've been playing because, once acclimated, he replaces Morningstar in the starting lineup. Ty, the twins and Robinson are solid. Reed will lose some minutes, but we need his 3 point shooting touch. IMO, (and I think Self mentioned it recently), Reed has been playing too many minutes. I think with less minutes, he'll hit a better percentage on his threes. His first half percentage, if I'm correct in my calculations, is much higher than his second half. Less minutes, more energy in the tank, higher percentage on his three pointers.

Now, if Selby proves to be the real deal, and shows us his stuff (pun intended), there may be more mopup minutes at the end of the games. Runaway games should allow more time for the bench. Everyone wins, except Morningstar, who will still get minutes, but nothing near what he has been. Note: This is not a knock on Morningstar, just a new situation falling into place.

The question I have regarding Selby is: Talk has always been that many freshman reach a point in their first year where they hit the wall. Their bodies haven't quite acclimated to the energy needs expended during a college season, especially if they are starters. They haven't reached the energy level that sophs and above have. Who knows? Perhaps Xavier hit the wall last year. His numbers sure dropped mid season last year. Selby seems to be one of those who is so intense, on both offense and defense, that he might be more susceptible to that happening. However, the opposite may happen. Afterall, he is playing a shortened schedule (by almost a third of the season) due to his being held out for nine games. Just hate to imagine him hitting the wall as tournament time rolls around.

hawk316 10 years, 12 months ago

Because of the many intangibles that he brings to the table, I suspect that Brady will still get his minutes...(granted, they may be somewhat reduced, but probably not all that much).

Thad Daugherty 10 years, 12 months ago

Did anyone see what Elijah and T-Rob were arguing about during the game? I hope this team can keep it together.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

I saw that too and looked for a response from Self or other players but didn't see anything specific. I noticed after the time out Elijah was standing shoulder to shoulder next to T-Rob on the floor before play resumed. I think it's just T-Rob's personality. When he comes out on the floor he always goes to the other big and says something in their face, I'm sure a colorful remark, likely to get them fired up. I shared your concern at that time. He's a firery guy. T-Rob, I think, is pretty unrefined in many ways, but listens to the coaching staff and is making great gains on the court. I'm confident the coaching staff is focused on developing teamwork equally.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 12 months ago

I re-watched that over and over to try to figure it out.....I think TRob lost his man, and took Tyrels guy...so Tyrel was late getting back to the arc, where a guy drained a three (maybe it was a 2) Right after that, I saw Reed walking over to TRob and pointing his finger. So, it looked to me like they were getting in each others faces about not losing sight/track of their guy. That's what I got out of it. I think if it's any bigger than that, we won't hear anything from Self about it anyway.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 12 months ago

I think we're assuming too much here. There are a lot of alternatives to bad feelings. Maybe as simple as a dispute about who was supposed to be where on a past play. The lack of response from coach and other players makes me think it's an accepted give and take. This group plays too solidly as a team for me to believe there are individual rifts.

AncientJay 10 years, 12 months ago

It was heartwarming to see Coach Self laughing about the performance of the team and the upside of having his #1 recruit coming on board. I remember the days when he first came to Lawrence when he was a perpetual frown! We're all smiling now, and the excitement will build until Saturday when we get our first look at the new and improved Hawks! Week, fly by! I want Saturday to be NOW!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Heartwarming for me was watching the Morris to Morris interation at the free throw line when Marcus came back in the game Saturday.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

'interaction' - man i wish i could edit. so many typos, not enough options :)

John Randall 10 years, 12 months ago

You ignore the best option . . .

Preview BEFORE Post -- not just hit the button, but actually Read It Through.

Then we can read it without the errors you come back to correct.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

KU 62 - I have nothing but pleasant thoughts for you. I hope you're having a great day!

REHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

My wife and I noticed and commented on the twins' reunion, too, their actual physical need to touch when Marcus came back into the game. It is quite possible that Marcus will stick around until Markieff is ready to depart for professional play. That injury had to affect Markieff's performance the first few minutes that his brother departed for the locker room. He looked to be almost in a daze; but then regained focus and played well. Those two have become real plums for the Jayhawk program, a bitter loss to Memphis recruiting. Merrily now, I fondly remember uttering, after the airsoft target practice calamity just a little over two years ago, "Ship that pair back to Philadelphia!" By June 2012 some farsighted NBA franchise might swap for two First Round draft picks to keep those two together.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 12 months ago

It makes me sick to my stomach that I will be traveling to Texas & Louisiana on the day Selby makes his debut. So Jayhawk Nation, you'll have to fill me in on what goes on. I will have my laptop with me and check later on what happened.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

DevilHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

It's going to be on ESPN and ESPN3.com. You shouldn't have too much difficulty catching the game.

caribhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Obviously Self knows what he is doing, but I agree this team has not had much energy lately. But Self hasn't really taken any drastic measures to instill that. Perhaps in one of these meaningless Colorado St-like games he should sit some starters, or start a new line up, and light a fire. I would like to see Releford and EJ get more minutes, maybe sit Morningstar and Taylor a little. I was at the Sprint Center game, it seems Releford and EJ create some excitement when they get in there. Taylor still doesn't get it, he keeps mocking Self in the press about playing defense, and just keeps saying KU is outscoring everybody and they can turn up the defense when and if they have to. I remember a team playing Northern Illinois in the tourney last year that had that same attitude and they got a rude awakening. I feel this team has a little hangover from last year where they don't feel they have to put the effort in all the time and they can wait until the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game to win it. If Morningstar is still starting during the conference part of the season, either KU doesn't have the talent they thought they had or Morningstar sb averaging 10 points a game by then! I really thought this team would show more athleticism consistently on the court by now, it comes and goes. While this team can be good on defense, I thought it would be "quicker" defensively, with more steals - - like the Chalmers/Robinson team. So far this team has a lot of work to do on defense, but Self will get them there. Like everyone, curious what Selby will bring to the court!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

You bring up two good points here:

1) I think there is a misconception from the 07/08 (Chalmers and Robinson) team vs every other team that comes after them. Maybe the expectations are a little unrealistic or are they? Maybe it's all about perception and how people view certain players?

No denying that Robinson and Chalmers were some of the best thefts ever to wear a KU uniform. I mean, Chalmers did his work in 3 seasons and is still #3 or #4 on KU's all-time list and Robinson is the other guy that is #3 or #4 all-time. I know only 6 or 8 steals separate the two.

With that all said, let's not look past the fact that through 9 games this 2010/2011 team is averaging exactly 9 steals per game which is exactly on pace and on par with the 07/08 team. Granted, Chalmers got 2.5 and Robinson got 2.0 a game, but Morningstar is getting 2.1 and Taylor is getting 1.8 per game. Perception can be a little tricky sometimes.

2) Taylor is quietly having his best season to date. For the most part, despite a few mind boggling quotes from last week, Taylor is doing his best to stay low and play well. I think as fans that is what we want and really all you can ask for up to this point. He's playing really well though.

Ben Simonett 10 years, 12 months ago

The problem with last years team was not that they outscored everyone so easily they got lazy on the defensive end. it was the complete opposite. with cole, the team was overwhelming on defense and underachieving on offense. we didnt lose to to nothern iowa because the defense wasnt stringy enough, we lost because nobody on that team knew how to make a shot when in counted besides collins.

ParisHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Every single time I saw a Selby closeup on the sidelines, he was concentrated and his eyes were darting all over the court. His mind was playing even if his body wasn't. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who "takes four or five plays off".

Robinson tweeted the other day that he was "bored". I hope Selby's arrival will renew interest and dedication during the semester break despite our uninspiring opponents.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Great observation. You can always see him twitching. The kid is ready to explode. You know, he may have some dumb turnovers but so be it. That adrenaline and energy that has been built up since his last high school game loss is about to be unleashed and it's going to be awesome to watch.

justanotherfan 10 years, 12 months ago

Everytime I get a chance, I check out what Selby is doing. This is a kid that is dying to play. He has been itching to play for six weeks now. I just hope that the wait doesn't make him press too hard on Saturday.

RockChalk26 10 years, 12 months ago

Is it just me or are the expectations for Josh to perform at a high level when he first steps on the court extremely high?

For example Jeff Withey, I know he isn't the same caliber of player but his exceptions were high and he has done nothing of significance this year. If HCBS was looking for a player to put the ball on the floor every time they get it in the post and then proceed to turn it over, then I should have tried my luck as a walk-on.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

A little harsh. It's hard to get into any type of "Flow" as a player when you only average just over 4 minutes and may only get a 2 or 3 minute stretch to prove yourself. Being tight and cold and then have to come off the bench to prove your worth or simply not make a mistake during that limited stretch is and can be very stressful.

KULA 10 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, there's no reason Withey shouldn't be getting at least 10 m/g at this point in the season, just for developmental purposes. Especially with a body that big--it just takes longer to warm up. I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why he didn't get any developmental time last year, with Cole only good for 25 m/g and us playing a slowed down halfcourt game anyway. What a waste of a year for the kid.

ParisHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

TRob's tweet on Dec. 11th was, and I quote in total :

"#bored :-/"

I'm not trying to read a whole lot into one tweet, it just seems to fit in with our underperforming against an underwhelming schedule, plus the dead crowd in KC. The next few weeks are the perfect time to get back a sense of urgency. Getting better isn't enough, we have to get better faster than everyone else.

KULA 10 years, 12 months ago

You really are reading a lot into a "tweet" lol.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Completely agree! Taylor's and EJ's game are going to improve so much it's going to be mind boggling. The "Showtime" that Selby will be exhibiting on the court will actually increase Reed's and Morningstar's "Impact" by limiting their minutes. When you can decrease your minutes and improve your overall production that is a beautiful recipe for success. Self has it figured out and all he has to do is get Selby up to speed game shape wise.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Elite Major: I agree with your notion of Brady getting (12-15 minutes-I think more like 14-18), but I don't agree with anybody else starting over Brady up to this juncture of the season than Brady.

Self has had a strategy all along and for those posters saying that EJ and Releford needed to start or get more time during the first 9 games weren't seeing the "Big Picture".

I totally agree that once Josh Selby gets comfortable and figures out the system that he's a no brainer to become a starter. Yes, less is more and from this point on it makes sense for Brady and Reed to limit their minutes to get more production. EJ, Releford, and Little were all going to get the minutes they are currently getting going forward so it makes sense that guys like Morningstar and possibly Reed are mature enough and experienced enough to sacrifice their position for Selby.

That's where yours and my views differ somewhat.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 12 months ago

Just don't come up with "Sell-by". You know, like the expiration date on milk, etc. We all know he probably won't be around next year. But, let's not put an expiration stigma on him!

How about "Icing"? He'll be like the icing on the cake for the team at this point. Or, "cherry", (that one could have several connotations)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

I personally like "Showtime Selby" the best. Anytime you have a guy like former Duke player Jayson Williams dub you that name, I think it's something that should probably stick.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Other nicknames:

Josh "French Toast" Selby

Josh "9 Gamer" Selby

Josh "In your Eye NCAA" Selby

Josh "Sell-By"-I like this one from Memhawk above. Very creative.

Josh "Ghost of NCAA Past" Selby

Josh "Brown Recluse" Selby

Josh "The Spider" Selby

Josh "Pickin and Rollin" Selby

J-Un"Self"in

J "Truckin" Selby

Josh "Mobtown" Selby

Josh "B-More" Selby

Josh "Lightsout" Selby

Josh "GT 500" Selby

Josh "I'm in your grill NCAA" Selby

Josh "$4,607 ways I can get to the rack" Selby

Josh "How you like them apples NCAA" Selby

yates33333 10 years, 12 months ago

Selby, Taylor, Reed or Morningstar and at times Little in the guard positions will be a really potent force in college basketball.

Can't Robinson be taught or hypnotized into making FTs. I thought the other players shot rather decently at the free throw line although Withey could improve. Robinson after a fashion reminds me of Taylor last year. He makes a spectacular play and then a goof up another couple of spectacular plays and then a goof up. I also think he get fouls called against him because he is so big.

Isn't it amazing that Taylor has become such a consistent player.

yates33333 10 years, 12 months ago

Gasp! I forgot Releford. Now that's an excellent player to forget!!! Talk about a surfeit of riches. WoW!!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 12 months ago

KU shaw---like the nick names but the best ones are "brown recluse" or "J-UnSelf-in." Somebody will come up with one!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

I really like Josh "Black Widow" Selby (Got the idea from Kobe's Black Mamba nickname), but only the females inject their prey with venom. I found that odd because the male's can't bite. In other words Selby's lethal injections don't really mesh with the Black Widow. :)

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

(Preface: this post in two parts is an attempt to call attention to an inappropriate (IMHO) rhetorical technique some posters resort to when disagreeing. It is the tying of aliases to illegal drug use. This post is a "dramatization" and is intended solely for educational purposes. It is not an actual use of the technique intended to bring about the effect of the rhetorical technique in actual usage.)

"Sometimes I think XXXX must be smoking some serious K-weed, lol."--KULA http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/dec/12/jayhawks-survive-injuries-rams/#c1451367

Begin dramatization...

Dear NOTKULA,

In this dramatization, I want to learn how to play this game of tying aliases to drug names--a game you apparently like to play.

In this dramatization, I want to be like you. I want to emulate you.

Is this how the game is played, NOTKULA?

Tie the alias to a drug name and hope to smear?

I'll give it a try, NOTKULA.

In this dramatization, I am just taking what you give me here, okay? I am just trying to play it anyway you want, okay? I am not saying you really take any illegal drugs at all, or suggesting you do. I am just just trying to learn how to connect one alias with an illegal drug the way you do. I am just trying to get better, NOTKULA--to be like you.

In this dramatization, NOTKULA, I am using words and syntactical structure from an alias called KULA. I am only substituting other drug names and your fictional alias, okay, NOTKULA? I don't want to tie an actual alias to illegal drugs, okay?

NOTKULA must be taking crystal meth. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking cocaine. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking psylocybin. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking benzodiazapines. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking heroin. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking ibuprofen. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking antacids. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

NOTKULA must be taking mouthwash. lol--NOTKULA type assertion example

Is this the correct way to do it, NOTKULA?

(Continue to Part 2)

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

(Continue with Part 2 of dramatization of inappropriately tying aliases to illegal drugs)

No, wait, in this dramatization, I'm supposed to keep connecting your alias only to illegal drugs the way you do, right? Okay, I'll go to USA Today and look up some names of contemporary illegal drugs.

(Pause while surfing to USA Today online)

Here we are. Okay, NOTKULA, I can get better now.

NOTKULA must be taking bong rip opium. lol

NOTKULA must be taking stolen morphine. lol

NOTKULA must be taking basement lab Ecstasy. lol

NOTKULA must be taking Gamma Hydroxy Buterole. lol

NOTKULA must be taking Ketamine that street gangs steal from vet hospitals. lol

The above are more effective examples of NOTKULA style assertions tying aliases to illegal drug use, right NOTKULA?

Source for Less Familiar Drug Names: USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/graphics/news/gra/gdrugs/flash.htm

Source for NOTKULA type of poster: Bottom of barrel?

Have a nice day, NOTKULA.

Oh, and I must end with a smear, too, right?

Okay.

NOTKULA must be taking horse. lol

End dramatization...

(Note: All fiction. No malice. The use of the fictional alias NOTKULA is expressly intended to disconnect this dramatization from KULA. To reiterate, this is just a dramatization. I Just wanted to call attention to, demonstrate, and hopefully encourage an end to, via dramatization, this rhetorical technique that some posters use in discourse about hoops. I think it is inappropriate to tie posters aliases to illegal drugs even when lol is affixed to the end of the smear. I want to state here and now the I have no idea whether KULA uses illegal drugs, or not, and also state that I sure don't.)

Rock Chalk!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 12 months ago

Question, though .. would you rather be referred to as "smokin' crack pipe" or an "optimist"? Just checkin' ...

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Recruiting Front: DeAndre Daniels visited Kentucky this past weekend. It looks and sounds like that Daniels may try to enroll in a school during second semester (Red-Shirt) and not play until fall 2011. From the sounds of it, he wants to play and practice with the team and be ready to go for next year.

Here is the article: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/12/13/daniels-enjoys-uk-visit-memphis-garcia-going-pro/#more-43997

Chris Shaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Jayhawk Fans: You may want to go over to the shiver and read the latest from Mascott. It's starting to get very juicy with Daniels. I don't want to mislead anybody so you all can read it yourselves. You may have to log into your account to read it. Here's the link.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

Daniels and KU would be a great fit, as I've said recently, because of Hudy and Manning and Self.

But, right now, I doubt DD is coming to KU, because he appears to be using an auction model indicative of checking book recruiting IMHO.

KU never wins these check book recruiting battles for bigs, apparently because Self and KU rightly choose not to play...thank you basketball god.

DD, listen now, before its too late. Come to KU and Lawrence. Bring your folks. It is a community of basketball and education loving human beings that will always be your foundation, not an illiterate AAU team on steroids with a coach that will jump on you for the first big NBA deal he can cook and a program supported by booze and horse industry alums, and stillbillies. Kansas raises wheat and cattle, things that feed people and make them stronger, not addictive booze and horses for parimutuel betting. Kansas makes civilian aircraft, of the kind you will one day own on your NBA salary, not stills. Kansas makes military aircraft, the kind that protect your NBA fortune from foreign predators. Kansas is a free state that stood up for the Union and against enslaving your ancestors. It is not weak-kneed border state that first could not make up its mind, and then joined the darkness that helped enslave your ancestors. KU was a pioneer of integrating the game, not a foot dragger like UK. KU won a ring in 2008 and plays a pro game. UK hasn't won a ring for ten years and plays a high school offense from Socal that is already declining in use.

KU landed #2 OAD X Henry last season. He's in the pros.

KU landed #1 OAD Josh Selby last season. He will be in the pros next season.

KU is rebuilding and ranked third in the nation. It is undefeated, too.

Our coaching staff is just flat out better than any other coaching staff going.

The only draw back is you have to take your own SAT test, but if you can't do that, KU doesn't want you anyway.

KU bigs get drafted every season, because we have a brilliant future BHOF head coach, a brilliant big man coach (who won a ring, was the #1 NBA draft choice in his class and had a long NBA career), and we have the best weight training and strength building coach in the country.

DD, if you want 5th or 6th best, go to UK.

But if you want the best, come to KU.

Rock Chalk!

Kent Richardson 10 years, 12 months ago

Quotes from the team like - don't need anything and a luxury to have him (Selby). Confidence or complancy, I don't know, but a true scorer who can create his own shot is a necessity if you want to go deep into the NCAA. I hope he brings defensive pressure all day and a toughness we lack. May be too much to ask from a freshman. Dear team, please work on free throws and having a clue how to score in close without a dunk that would be luxurious. Thank you.

Kent Richardson 10 years, 12 months ago

Quotes from the team like don't need anything and a luxury to have him (Selby) Confidence or complancy, I don't know, but a true scorer who can create his own shot is a necessity if you want to go deep into the NCAA. I hope he brings defensive pressure all day and a toughness we lack. May be too much to ask from a freshman. Dear team, please work on free throws and having a clue how to score in close without a dunk. Thank you.

danmoore 10 years, 12 months ago

I do not like the image accompanying this story. It is disrespectful and bad sportsmanship to be laughing at someone else's expense during a game.

Can not wait for Josh to suit up. Hopefully the chemistry that eluded us last year will not be a problem for this team.

Hawkin8r 10 years, 12 months ago

Wow, that's lame. The label on the picture clearly states that they are celebrating their teammate scoring, not the other team screwing up. And it was a highlight quality dunk from our Philly connection. Given the lack of dunks from our Morris bro's in previous season, I bet the bench gets up every time they slam one home.

Heck, every dunk is a celebration for your teammates. Take a look at the bench after ANY dunk...ANY bench, not just KU's. Duh.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 12 months ago

We were 8 for 23 from behind the arc, not 6 for 23.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

The greatest players, while they get nicknames, tend to become reduced to one first name.

At KU alone, we have produced:

Clyde.

Wilt.

Jo-Jo.

Danny.

Say the word and that's all that needs to be said. People know it.

Out in the world, there has been:

Mike.

Kareem.

Then there are the near-greatest. These get reduced to a one word nickname or a last name.

Magic.

Bird.

Walton.

Then come all the rest.

I am here to challenge Josh Selby to join the greatest of the greats.

Josh.

Go for it.

Post script on names:

There is one other classification. I cannot believe I overlooked it.

It is both names. It is the toppermost of the top.

Bill Russsell

Wilt Chamberlain

Oscar Robertson

Michael Jordan

These guys were so good that you have to say their full names to pay them proper respect.

Nick Thompson 10 years, 12 months ago

Love the list, but it seems as though you included Mr.(s) Jordan and Chamberlain on both lists. Unless, of course, the initial Mike refers to Miami sharpshooter and former Florida Gator Mike Miller :) . As for Wilt, unfortunately I cannot think of another. He seems to be like the LeBron, Kobe, Shaq, Hakeem of another generation-- one who drew the privilege of becoming a one-namer not only through his talent but through his names inimitability. Anyway, if Josh can become a first namer with a name like Josh, he will be among the highest of the elite.

danmoore 10 years, 12 months ago

Just because others do it doesn't make it right. Respect your opponent, respect the game.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

Never bring a knife to a gun fight...until the referees agree to call it like a knife fight.

msthompson37 10 years, 12 months ago

God we need shelby. Morningstar needs to sit and Reed should stop shooting so much now and concentrate what he is good at. Assists and 2 3's a game. Just being Real@!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 12 months ago

Why not get "real" with the name S E L B Y?

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

Eyes filled with tears I am laughing so hard!

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

To reiterate, unless Self decides Selby is the guy to play through from the git go instead of the bigs, then the best way to use Selby on this particular team is probably not to start him.

The best use of the Selby weapon is the same use Self made of Sherron his first season.

Start which ever of our current players make us play best through the bigs for the first 4 minutes, then play Selby with the starters 4 minutes; then leave him into play 6 minutes with the second unit; then sit him 4 minutes; then bring him back for the last 6 minutes.

Why?

First, starting play through the bigs works best with two outside shooters in.

Second, Playing through the bigs means all Selby will do the first 4 minutes is pick up a foul or two playing defense,

Third, bringing Selby in at the 4 minute mark means he will blow by starter who have played 4 minutes.

Fourth, leaving Selby in with second unit means the second unit will actually build leads instead of lose them, because Selby will be playing against a second stringer defender for several minutes, or an exhausted first stringer.

Unless Selby is so good Self wants to play through Selby, as Self played through Sherron the last two years, Self would be sub-optimizing the team to start Selby most games this season.

But to keep landing #1 OADs, Self may have to start Selby, play through him for 7 minutes, play through the bigs for 7 minutes, then decide which is the best path of attack for the last eight.

Or knowing Self, he will come up with.something even more clever, based on some capabilities we do not yet know about Josh and the team.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

"Existential NBA Question of the Day:"

When are NBA GMs going to stop drafting guys they have to send to the D Leagues?

Patrick Patterson and Cole Aldrich are both in the D League?

If these guys are so bad, how can they not figure this out ahead of time in work outs?

Self recruits guys and 98 percent of the time they stay and play and find starting, or subbing, roles with the team.

How hard can it be to judge who can play, or at least ride the bench in the NBA?

You work Cole Aldrich out with Nick Collison, or whatever big you have, for five fricking minutes. You let them play some one on one, or two on two. You tell Nick to rough Cole up a little. If Cole holds his own, you draft him. If he doesn't, you don't.

I can see how you often cannot predict who can become a starter, or who will be a star, but how hard can it be to look at guys and say whether, or not they could make your own freaking team?!!!!

Really, I don't see how you can judge the ineptness of NBA owners, GMs and coaches in regards to drafting, as anything but some combination of professional inbreeding and literal nepotism.

SCHNBALL 10 years, 12 months ago

Jaybate, to you point about landing OAD's, I think Selby will start against USC. I am really interested to see if HCBS will "turn em loose" a little bit and try and use more of an up tempo style game, seems to be unwilling to do that up to this point.

I want to see this lineup on the floor for 6 straight minutes

Selby Releford Little Marcus Morris Tyshawn

SCHNBALL,

First, I just can't be sure with Self. He could play this either way, but I suppose a betting man would have to be on him starting.

Second, regardless, I am just happy Selby came to KU, and stayed through the turbulence, and I will be happy however Self chooses to play him. He's bound to be a terrific player, either out of the blocks, or shortly and in whatever role Self assigns for him.

But board rats do have to put Selby in perspective by comparing him to Derek Rose and John Wall, for starters.

Rose was not a super man his OAD year. He was a solid PG at best and a weak outside shooter. He played a somewhat similar role for Memphis that Aaron Miles played for KU Aaron's freshman season when he quarterbacked a mature KU team to the finals. Rose scored more, of course, but CDR was Memphis' first option and best player that season. And Memphis' nucleus had been together a couple years, when Rose arrived, just as KU's nucleus had been there when Aaron arrived. Heck, Sherron Collins held Rose to 15 in the finals and a lot of board rats around here (excluding me) think Sherron couldn't guard a lick.

Next, consider John Wall. For 2/3s of his OAD season he was a TO waiting to happen, even in that high school offense designed to be easy to learn, and he was a 34% trifectator. He was highly inefficient scoring most of the season. In fact, down the stretch, Cal had to reign Wall in, and play through Patterson and Cousins to really begin to be a good team. And the minute Cal quit playing through Wall, UK became sharply better, and Wall's TOs dropped sharply. Wall was plenty good to run a team, even as a freshman, but he wasn't good enough to run a team and be the first option. It was just too much to ask.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

I just don't think it is fair to expect more out of Josh Selby than Derek Rose and John Wall, even though I think he is probably as good as both those players were.

Selby's good fortune is to have a coach with enough job security, and a strong enough team model, that he does not have to treat Selby like an AAU coach would treat him.

Of course, Selby's probably good enough to start and play through out of the box.

But that is not the same as saying Selby is good enough to make the "team" better than it is now by him starting and playing him 30mpg, while using him as a first option.

I just don't think the team would be net better with him trying to do it all to start with. He will be making too many TOs, if Self tries to make him PG and to play through him.

I would expect Selby to have a season like Wall had last season. He would have lots of highlight footage and he would get it done, as Wall did, but the team would not be the best it could be. Self would have to do what Cal had to do last year down the stretch.

I think Self is smarter than Cal.

I think Josh is smarter than Wall.

I think how much Josh plays depends a lot on how good his defense is. He's probably got the offensive game to be a threat out of the box, just as Sherron had it, and Wall had it, and Rose had it. But his defense is the key. If his defense is about like Sherron's, or Wall's, were, then I think Self ought to sub Selby in the way I described above--the way Self used Sherron for the first two years.

But if Selby's defense is better than Sherron's, which it could easily be, because he's about three or four inches taller than Sherron, then Self probably as to think about starting him.

Now, about your line up of Selby, Releford, Marcus, Little and Tyshawn: it would certainly be a kick ass line-up against a smaller team, but it could also have some problems against a team that is big inside. I assume you do not want to see that team play against an opponent that is tall and strong in the paint.

jaybate 10 years, 12 months ago

While we are speculating, I have long thought that a lineup of Taylor, Selby, LIttle , Marcus, and Kieff is where Self once hoped this team would go. This line up is ideally suited to play the 3/4 flip flop between Marcus and Little, with the back side rotation threat of Selby, and Kieff's size inside.

Travis Releford's problem this season, aside from continuing to make too many bad choices on offense, is that his best position would be the 2. He would have MUAs there almost every game. But Self has Tyshawn at the 1 and Selby at the 2. And he has a good trey shooter and protector as the backup at the 2. This really puts Travis in a bind. He is a potentially great 2 whose best chance for minutes on this team is at the 3. And Travis has worked hard, become a trey shooter, and sharply cut his TOs, too. What is keeping him off the court so much though, is not Tyrel's, or Brady's great play (they've only been adequate), but Travis' poor choices about when to pass and who to pass to, and when to shoot. He just has not been making passes that help the offense unfold where it ought to. If he gets that down, Self will start using him almost immediately. Tyrel and Brady are only in, because they are making the passes that allow the first unit to play through the bigs and open up leads.

I do think there is a chance that Selby might make Little's abilities more viable, if Selby turns out to be a serious threat from 3. If Self can get a real multi dimensional threat at the 2, then Little's extra size at the 3 could be a real advantage there,

One more thing about Josh, ultimately, the choice is not about starting or not starting.

The choice is whether to play through Josh, or make him a second, or third option.

Self had pretty good luck making X a third option to Sherron and Cole.

Self could have pretty good luck making Selby a second option to Marcus, or a third option to Marcus and Kieff, or Marcus and Tyshawn.

But again, it all depends on how well Selby actually plays: defense, trey shooting, protecting, stripping. We assume he can get to the rim and pull up from 15 and nail it. We assume he can crucify an opponent in transition. But can he do the other things that Self's players have to be able to do?

danmoore 10 years, 12 months ago

Ralster, point taken. Players showing their emotion during a game is fine by me but this looks like 3 guys on the bench laughing at their opponents. Not the most egregious behavior I’ve seen but if I was on the other team I don’t think I’d care for it.

KULA 10 years, 12 months ago

Wow jaybate, I'm sorry! You must be even older than I thought. I was simply employing a variation on a casual slang phrase that my generation uses when someone makes a patently absurd and baseless assertion, like some of the ones you regularly post on this board--"You must be HIGH!" Guess it's just a generational thing.

But I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. Now I expect an apology from you for implying I must be from fizzou, and some of the other uncongenial terms you've used referring to me. Fizzou! Really? I, personally, and I imagine most of the posters on this board, find that to be a more slanderous slur than any implication of drug use.

And in closing, jaybate, if I may be so bold as to offer a little advice to my senior, "Lighten up." If you ever come to LA, you can get a prescription for that uptightness you suffer from. You can even get K-weed here. But it's not from Kansas, it's from Hawaii, lol. (hmm, maybe that means it's a geographic, rather than generational thing).

KULA/SO SORRY?

KULA sorry alright! :-)

KULA really sorry.

KULA think LA make KULA something?

KULA don't get it.

LA leave KULA less than what he was before LA.

jaybate live in LA long b4 KULA.

jaybate been LA, done dat.

jaybate b knowin' more 'bout LA than KULA wish he knew.

jaybate b knowin' more 'bout KU than KULA ever know.

jaybe b knowin' more 'bout Nawlins LA than KULA.

KULA upity.

KULA downity.

KULA small humanity.

KULA could b so much younger now and but older than that then...

KULA seem even stupider now that he not young enough to know better anymore.

KULA think KULA can out play jaybate even a nano second on Pico Boulevard, KULA fooling KULA.

KULA's disingenuous apology b rejected in KULA's face, like TRob shoving it down some puny little wimpy man's throat, too. :-)

And there is no "and in closing".

You have no control to close.

You have no control, period, KULA.

KULA = NOTKULA.

And KULA is given no permission to be bold with jaybate.

KULA = NOTBOLD.

KULA in de prone position all de time talkin' to de jaybate until KULA quit his self-loathing game.

KULA not Angelino.

KULA immigrant to island on land in a rental, or an upside down mortgage.

KULA not Orangina.

KULA lack real resources.

KULA small fish in big pond.

KULA know he not really makin' it KULA have dis feeling of fakin' it, KULA's not really shakin' it,

KULA seem very, very self-loathing.

KULA is high! He say so.

KULA = NOTKULA

KULA is Fizzouisti?

KULA is Antlerian?

No, wait, KULA is NOTKULA.

I keep forgetting.

Spill the wine, KULA, dig dat pun!

Oh, how I love taking what you give me, KULA.

Oh, please, please, won't you play me more, KULA?

KULA/NOTKULA.

Boola-Boola.

KULA/NOTRULA

Boola-boola

KULA think he can play, but...

KULA/NOPLAYAH

KULA/BLOWNHUSKINDEDARK

Hopin' bein' LA commutah countin' 4 somethin'

But knowin' it don't.