Originally published December 13, 2010 at 04:03p.m., updated December 14, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Selby: Kansas didn’t give up on me

Kansas players Josh Selby, left, Niko Roberts, and Jordan Juenemann celebrate a dunk by teammate Markieff Morris during the second half, Saturday, Dec. 11, 2010 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Josh Selby teleconference

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby talks to reporters during a teleconference on Dec. 13, 2010.

Download podcast

Reader poll

How many points will Josh Selby score against USC?

• 0 0% 19 votes
  • 1-4 0% 36 votes
  • 5-8 20% 756 votes
  • 9-12 47% 1776 votes
  • 13-16 20% 768 votes
  • 17-20 4% 159 votes
  • 21 or more 6% 235 votes

3749 total votes.

Josh Selby said he never considered dropping out of school — and perhaps heading overseas to play professional basketball — as he waited month after month for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility.

“(Kansas University officials) put so much work into this situation. They never gave up on me, so I was never thinking about giving up on them,” Selby, KU’s 6-foot-2 freshman guard from Baltimore, said Monday on a national teleconference.

Selby received word on Nov. 20 that he’d sit a total of nine games for accepting benefits from a family friend. KU’s coaches and administrators worked diligently with the NCAA for a resolution to the case.

“To be honest, I never would have done anything differently because I don’t feel I really technically did anything wrong (in accepting $4,607.50 worth of benefits from Robert Frazier), but there’s some rules you have to apply to,” Selby said. “For people in my situation, what I would tell them is, ‘Just think twice before you do things.’ That’s the biggest thing I would say.”

Selby reiterated his position of a few weeks ago — that he’s thankful his penalty involved just the nine games.

“I do think I’m lucky,” Selby said, “because when I saw the Enes Kanter situation (suspended from Kentucky for entire season) and he couldn’t play ever in college, it had me wondering, ‘Will they do the same thing for me?’

“God does things for a reason. I’m just thankful God gave me an opportunity to play a game in college.”

Pressed about his situation, Selby added: “I didn’t just know any better. To be honest, I don’t know if I really made any mistakes in my opinion or anybody in my situation’s opinion. It’s just the NCAA has certain rules where you have to know people before you reach the high school level (if those individuals provide things like clothing and transportation), and that’s what it was.

“I’m actually blessed and happy the NCAA is giving me a chance to play along with my teammates and play in college.”

He said the happiest duo in the stands for his college debut Saturday versus USC (11 a.m., Allen Fieldhouse) will be his mom and grandmother.

“My mom was thinking I wasn’t going to be able to play. There was so much pressure on her. On Saturday, my grandmom and my mom ... I won’t see, but I’ll know they are shedding tears because they never thought I would have a chance to play college ball,” Selby said.

Tough grader: KU coach Bill Self on Monday gave his 9-0 team a grade of “C-plus (or) B-minus” for its first-semester work.

“There are nights we look real good, some nights we don’t look as good,” Self said.

They’re OK: Marcus Morris (ankle sprain) and Elijah Johnson (shoulder separation), who were injured in Saturday’s victory over Colorado State, both practiced on Monday.

Recruiting: DeAndre Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., visited Kentucky last weekend. He’s expected to visit Texas and North Carolina State in the near future.

“The teams that have the best chance of getting him right now are Kansas, Texas and maybe Kentucky,” Daniels’ AAU coach, Dinos Trigonis, told Zagsblog.net.

Daniels has also visited KU and Oregon officially, UCLA and Florida unofficially. Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player plans to enroll at a college in January, attending classes and practicing with his new team, but not playing in games until the 2011-12 season.

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 8 months ago

i like this kid way to much already

chalmers2wright 3 years, 8 months ago

No joke, this kid hasn't played a game yet and he's already working his way into my favorites. Most 5 star talent would not talk about how they need to take a back seat to other players. Pretty refreshing to hear.

kushaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I love stuff like this. It just makes me laugh.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

He doesn't want to mess up the chemistry---sweet! Gotta love him for that!

dnvrhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I remember Sherron voicing the same when he was coming off the bench the first two years.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Josh, you are all Jayhawk already.

Welcome to the sacred wood.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

"Some Things I Might Rather Be than a Duke Cheap Shot Artist for Mike the Weasel"

~A parrot dropping.

~A noxious weed.

~A plunger for a stopped toilet.

~The contents stopping a toilet.

~The underarm of Shrek.

~The large intestine of a subway rat.

~A pipe in a methane farm.

~A boil anywhere on 1,200 pound Manuel Uribe.

~A disposable diaper on a baby with flu.

These are just a few of the things I would rather be than have to cheap shot mid majors for Duke Head Basketball Coach Mike the Weasel.

Fortunately, I don't have to choose. :-)

(Note: If I ever see Duke play a season without cheap shotting opponents, then I will stop the harangue about Mike the Weasel. It is, afterall, most unfortunate to have the game's winningest active coach appear to be a cheap shotting weasel.)

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate---I just got back from dinner and a lot those things you listed made me sick, man! Like Oakville, you just tell it like it is, right?

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Sorry about that.

Mike the Weasel makes me despondent sometimes.

yovoy 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't know how closely you were watching the goings-on on the bench the other night at the Sprint Center, but it looked like he was arguing with someone. I read his lips, and at one point he said "I got you n*!", and he repeated it, and he looked rather serious. I don't know who he could've been talking to, but it was someone on the bench. I'm not rumor-mongering: I saw this happen. Anyone know the deal?

Also what was TRob gettin' on EJ about?

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 8 months ago

I think Robinson was getting on EJ about a missed defensive assignment.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 8 months ago

thats exactly what the deal was with robinson and EJ,,,,,as far as selby on the bench, not real sure what you're talking about but im not saying you are wrong yovoy. But i am very curious now i might haveto go back and look at it....do you know exactly when this happened. 1st half, 2nd half????

yovoy 3 years, 8 months ago

Makes sense that The T-2010 Terminator would be getting on EJ for that: kid tends to not see "man and ball" very well. Seems like he has his back to one or the other over half the time. Love his game otherwise.

I don't know what part of the game it was. I'll look it up and post here or PM you.

yovoy 3 years, 8 months ago

"I gotchu man, I gotchu n*, I gotchu..." (turning to Langford's brother with a crazy look on his face). He said it again in whoever he was talking to's direction. Can't determine who he was talking to. 55.5 left in the game.

TRob got on EJ because EJ got confused, matched up with the wrong guy (#4 instead of #12), and 12 almost took TR's head off on an attempted board. It was sort of a secondary break, and everyone was just trying to pick someone up, but that was in large part due to EJ losing his man before the possession had really started. 'Cus did step between them. Love to know what he said, because he had everyone together before they went back out onto the court.

honk_for_hawks 3 years, 8 months ago

you have to love a kid like this daniels kid who is on top of his schoolwork enough to graduate early and enroll in college a semester early. Whether we get him or not, that is impressive. If we do get him though, think about how far ahead of everyone he would be when he played his first game. Not only is he a top 10 recruit, but he would have already learned the offense, spent almost a year under hudy and manning, and already gotten used to college life. I would think that would help ease the pain of losing marcus if he indeed does leave after this year.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Not to downplay his work, but football players graduate in December and enroll in college for spring ball all the time. It's very common.

3putt 3 years, 8 months ago

Have faith.Marcus won't miss the chance of another year to play ball AND graduate with his twin.That bond is unbreakable.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 8 months ago

Daniels is not visiting Texas. This appears to be good news for KU.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 8 months ago

Daniels is not visiting Texas. This appears to be good news for KU.

jhox 3 years, 8 months ago

If Daniels commits in December, that's probably good for us. That means Kentucky may not have their 2011 budget in place yet to pay him off.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist getting in the dig.)

Ed Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

Sad we are putting Ky back on the schedule. I still remember why we stopped playing them when their fans were pummeling our players with quarters. We beat them something like 140-90 the season before and they didn't like that. I don't remember the KU player that had the stitches in their forehead but it was ugly.

Get out the Ky. -Ben Doverman

Lone_salina_kufan 3 years, 8 months ago

didnt we play a home and home with kentucky under Bill Self already?

ku_foaf 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, and I believe we beat them both times, Ashely Judd and all. I think we played there when Sasha was a freshman.

In the Joe B. Hall - Ted Owens era, we played them every year ... and lost.

In the Larry Brown era, we were crushed at the Fieldhouse by an eventual Final 4 KY team in the 83-84 season. We played them on a neutral court and they won a close game the next year, one of those "Doh!" games. When Eddie Sutton was coach and Kenny Walker was there, we beat the heck out of them at the Fieldhouse in 85-86. After that, they didn't want to play with us no more.

In the Williams era, I only remember the 150-95 game mentioned and when we played them in the 2000 or 2001 tournament, where we lost.

rob4lb 3 years, 8 months ago

One of the reasons I am never comfortable that KU has sewn up a win goes back to a Kentucky- Kansas game in (I think) 1978 at Rupp Arena. KU had come off a great year where they lost to UCLA in the NCAA tournament (before seedings were done) and were ranked in the Top 5 with Darnell Valentine returning. KU seems to have the game in hand. They were up by six with about 30 seconds to play. Kentucky was able to get three baskets (this was before the 3-point shot and there was no shot clock) to tie the game with a second or two to play. KU calls a time out; they were out of time outs. Technical foul. Kyle Macy calmly sinks a free throw and KU gives up 7 points in 30 seconds and loses the game.

They never really got on track for the entire season.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 8 months ago

It was 150-95. On December 9, 1989, AP #2 Kansas beat Kentucky 150-95 in Allen Fieldhouse.[18] Kansas started the game hot and was in obvious control prior to halftime; Kentucky's Rick Pitino used all of his team's six timeouts before the half ended. After the break, Kansas coach Roy Williams started the second rotation players and subbed in the remaining players on the roster often, leaving the starting five players on the bench. When Pitino continued to have his first-string players use a full-court pressure defense against the Kansas back-ups, Williams asked Pitino "what he wanted to do" to which Pitino responded with an expletive. After the exchange, Williams called a timeout and put the starting five players back into the game. Two technical fouls were called on Pitino, the first for throwing a towel onto the court, the second for arguing a call with an official. Following the game, Pitino told the assembled media that he would never schedule Kansas again. The 150 points scored by the Jayhawks set the school record for most points scored in a game, and the team's 80 first-half points set the record for most points scored in a half.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

"The atmosphere is crazy; I know that. The fans are crazy. As for the game, I liked the game. It went good. Kentucky has the right style of play for me.” “(Calipari) thinks I can come in and help their team right now, help them win games,” “He showed me around and showed me the dorms and stuff,” Daniels said. “… He said, ‘If you want to be a superstar, a rock star and all that kind of stuff and play in the big games, this is the place to be at. And if you want to be in the NBA, Coach Cal can help you achieve that goal.’” (Terrence Jones was showed him arround…)

“They’re like an NBA team in Lexington.”

quotes from DeAndre Daniels as reported by uksports.com in an article that was apparently not edited.

All I have to add is this:

DeAndre,

At Kansas, you will also be a rockstar superstar, play in big games, and get coached to the NBA, in addition to earning a respected education.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Nice off Jones to show him around...too bad none of the players he meets this year will be around next year!!

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

This Saturday is certainly one of those magical days in the life of Josh Selby and his family. Gotta hope that all works well and by early afternoon everyone is in smiles. What a pressurepacked situation for all concerned! USC will be walking into a madcap environment, that is for certain. Those guys are dreaming the big dreams this week, hoping to fly out of Lawrence with a major win.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Jhawkrulz---I remember that game like it was yesterday. Those team scoring records will most likely never be challenged. So incredible!

WilburNether 3 years, 8 months ago

Whoever constructed the poll above on this page forgot to include the correct answer:

It's stupid to speculate on how many points Selby might score, because it simply does not matter.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

I really doubt the Hawks will have to worry about that....

he said UK has the right style of play for him. I'd say, IMHO, that's where he is headed.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Just get BenMac and Angelo along with Tharpe we'll be OK.....I don't have a doubt in my mind that the Twins stay, along with TRob and finally a pumped up Withey, we'll be in great shape on the front line!!

jhawkr 3 years, 8 months ago

Dude, but really ? A "pumped up Withey" .........?

I've finally given up on him. He is frail, weak and commonly gets pushed around by guards at will. IMO he doesn't have the genetic makeup or determination to make himself stronger and more muscular. I honestly believe he tried, but some guys just can't get much bigger. He's had plenty of time to get bigger by now if he was going to ........

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

What if Conner, or Brady, were to give up their rides? Could one not be given to DD then?

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

BenMac, he come to KU. He just be givin' MomMac time to adjust to de idea.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Christmas will be bright for Jayhawks that night!! Santa will score with Ben McLemore.

And no one will have socks all full of black coal. Instead there will be two socks stuffed with Angelo Chol.

Tharpe is already here, Naadir is under the tree. Next Christmas he'll bring his two teammates, tee hee!!

Daniels is searching, here and afar. Come home, Deandre, a Jayhawk you are.

Let us all give thanks as we gaze at the tree, Give thanks we have Bill, and not Calipari!!

PVJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Oakville for KU Poet Laureate!

lee3022 3 years, 8 months ago

Lovin' the rhyme Well worth the time

KuKain 3 years, 8 months ago

No more rhymes now, I mean it!

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Tre bon, monsieur de Oakville.

lee3022 3 years, 8 months ago

Josh seems more mature for his talent than most seniors. The credit goes to his family of origin and to the Jayhawk family who have embraced him from the start. Coach Self and his staff have prepared him so well. Any young man considering KU might reflect on this factor and anticipate not only getting to the NBA but achieving there at the maximum levels as both a player and as a man. Showtime is fine for getting drafted and yet consider DeMarcus Cousins whose talent is all-world and whose NBA career is not gelling with personal maturity holding him back. The contrast with Josh is startling!

With the NBA in contract uncertainty and with Josh missing 30% of his first season does anyone else think we are likely to get him back next year? I can even see the twins back as well for a repeat. (ok - get the first one first!).

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Deandre Daniels nickname nominations:

jaybate nominates: 3D

actorman 3 years, 8 months ago

"Welcome to the sacred wood."

Classic, jaybate. A perfect way to describe AFH.

"He never proved diddly during his NBA stint. Actually, he did prove one thing; that he couldn't hang in the bigs."

You're forgetting something else he proved, drgnslayr: that he's a bigot. (Remember his comment about the "Mexican idiot" journalist?)

Thanks for the update re Memphis, ralster. Sad that things are going so poorly there. I was rooting for them to do well after Calipari left.