Originally published December 13, 2010 at 10:36a.m., updated December 14, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Off the bench? Bill Self leaning toward not starting Josh Selby against USC

Kansas guard Josh Selby smiles as he hears the student section chant "Free Selby" during the second half, Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selby is still waiting to be cleared to play by the NCAA.

Reader poll

How many points will Josh Selby score against USC?

• 0 0% 19 votes
  • 1-4 0% 36 votes
  • 5-8 20% 756 votes
  • 9-12 47% 1776 votes
  • 13-16 20% 768 votes
  • 17-20 4% 159 votes
  • 21 or more 6% 235 votes

3749 total votes.

As head coach of Kansas University’s men’s basketball team, Bill Self has the right to change his mind at any time.

As of Monday, however, Self said he was leaning toward not starting prize freshman combo guard Josh Selby, but bringing him off the bench in Saturday’s nonconference clash against USC (11 a.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

It’s Selby’s first game following an NCAA-mandated nine-game suspension.

“He’s getting all the reps with the first group now (at practice),” Self said, adding, “I don’t think I’m going to start him, even though I don’t have a ‘made-decision’ positively. I don’t think I will, because he has to beat somebody out. He needs to perform well in the games, and not just practice, but he’s going to give us some scoring punch.

“He’s certainly a threat when he catches the ball. He has to figure how to play to our other guys’ strengths, and they have to figure out where to get him the ball in certain situations and play to his strengths. It’ll take a little bit of time.”

Selby said he’ll embrace any role.

“I don’t mind not starting right away because I missed nine games. There’s players who played very well over those nine games who play the same position,” Selby said Monday. “I’m not worried at all. I just hope I can bring a lot of energy off the bench.

“I don’t look into all that,” Selby added, asked of the possibility of someday starting. “That’s a coach’s decision. I’m not concerned about that at all.”

Self said the 6-foot-2 Baltimore native likely would be used at off guard instead of lead guard.

“If he and Tyshawn (Taylor) are in the game at the same time, I’ll play Tyshawn on the ball the majority of the time,” Self said. “We tried to make Mario (Chalmers) a point guard from Day One, and then we moved him off the ball and let Russell (Robinson) do it. It was so much easier for him (Chalmers).

“Josh is going to be a point guard for us. He will end up being a true point guard in time. It’s a lot to throw at a guy, ‘OK, you are not only responsible for yourself, you are responsible for every single possession, and if we don’t have a good one, it’s going to basically be your fault.’ I’d rather put that on Tyshawn right now than Josh.”

Selby said he’ll embrace his role as combo guard.

“Whoever gets the ball just brings it up in our offense,” Selby said. “I think it’d be easy to adjust to (shooting guard). The coaching staff did a great job teaching me to play off the ball and giving me some good pointers along with my teammates. I think it’d be easy for me because me and Tyshawn have got a great chemistry together in practice.”

Selby is too busy this week — finals week — to be stressing over Saturday’s much-anticipated debut.

Rivals.com’s No. 1-rated recruit has three final exams and five papers to complete in addition to hoops practice responsibilities.

“The only thing I would like to do,” Selby said of his debut, “is just don’t mess up the chemistry my team already has because they have a great chemistry out there. You can see it when you watch the games, so that’s the only thing I want to do besides winning.

“The toughest thing I think I’ll have to adjust to is the game speed. The college level is much faster than the high school level. That and just the fans because the fans here are crazy.”

He said he has appreciated the fans chanting his name and carrying “Free Selby” signs.

“I think we were ranked the No. 1 toughest place here,” he said of Allen Fieldhouse, “so just the cheering and acknowledgment is going to put butterflies in my stomach.”

He said he appreciated his teammates’ support.

“They were sending me text messages (on road trips), letting me know there was a missing piece and they were missing me with them, so I was OK. I was cool. They kept me going,” Selby said.

He said his teammates have expectations.

“From what they have been saying in my ear, just somebody who can create their own shot and (bring) toughness,” Selby said.

“The only thing I see for myself ... our offense runs through the (Morris) twins. You can see they are great guys. They are great scorers, great players. I take a back seat regardless, but whatever my team and coaching staff need me to do, I’ll do for them to win.”

Self said Selby figures to have his ups and downs.

“We may not play great all the time. I don’t know of any freshman with the exception of maybe (Kevin) Durant or (Michael) Beasley who does look great all the time,” Self said. “We are certainly excited about it. I know he’s excited. I think expectations should be tempered somewhat, not from a talent standpoint, just from the role we’ll have him play. He will be one of five. He will not be ‘the guy,’ just like we won’t have ‘the guy’ this year. We haven’t really had ‘the guy’ when we’ve had our best teams here.”

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

Robert Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

Remember ralstar, there are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those who can't. Make that a nine man rotation.

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I totally agree with you Ralster, hopefully as the year goes on the conglomeration of players we have will get closer to their "ceiling" , then we will be legitimate title contenders in my opinion. I somewhat wish they would throw away early season rankings just because its so inconsistent and teams fall out and new ones in constantly as we find out what everybody is really made of. I pay more attention to CollegeRPI and Kenpom just for that very reason. ROCK CHALK!!!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

cragar, I see what you are saying. Its always semi-entertaining to see these preseason rankings come out, which are arbitrary--but then based on team performance they seem to get "fixed". The entertainment is seeing KState in the top5, after losing Clemente + 2bigs. KU ranking initially highly debatable within a range of 3-5, imho. But just like last year, we fans will get the "vibe" and see directly if we are playing to our potential or not. Last year we only did in the Temple game. This year we have a whole new dynamic and a teamload of new guys getting minutes. Whole new year that logically will take time to show our best & consistent gameplay. Cant wait to see that! RCJH

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

HEM, I hope my opinion after saturday is "Put that kid out there and let him do what he does" , I really do, because while Im trying not to speculate just yet on who is better, and better for the team, I also have the opinion that this team is not a NC contender they way it is now. Sorry, I just don't think it is. I might get beat up for this, but that just my opinion. I have never disagreed with the fact that there isn't enough production from TReed and Bstar, as far as being NC caliber. Personally right now, I don't think we're number 3 in the nation either, but Im behind this team all the way no matter who is playing, and I really love to watch them play. I feel like they would rival the 08 team for chemistry, or better.

What about the guy that said "we don't know if Lebron is better that Bstar or Treed"? Im gonna go ahead and say that we can point out that it's a fact the Lebron is better. Whose with me? :)

Damn I love being a Jayhawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

Let's get one fact straight if we can. Selby was not the #1 rated player our of high school but the #1 rated point guard. There is a difference. It is also not generally known but his older brother is Chris Rock.

Alohahawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It's not surprising that our fans are anxiously anticipating Selby's first game, and debating (arguing?) over whether he should start in his debut. It's always interesting to compare the number of comments on this board for each topic/article. Recently, this article generated almost one and a half times as many as the second place article. (150 to 95) Kudos to those Jayhawk fans who are so passionate about the team's success. We all deserve a huge pat on our backs.

IMHO Selby will be a starter, not against USC, but perhaps in his second game if the hype that surrounds him proves true. However, all the start/come off the bench debating seems to overlook the fact that we have gone undefeated over nine games, and are ranked third in the polls (Dickie V, eat your heart out). That ranking, itself debatable due to our lackluster schedule, is still something which the current starters have achieved. Nationally, they are ranked near or at the top of numerous statistical categories. Selby has constantly spoken out that he wants that success to continue. In old terminology, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So, HCBS feels the current starters deserve the respect they have achieved and earned. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you feel a little bit unappreciated if you had performed admirably but were demoted at work, simply because a new hire came in with great, but unproven, credentials.

The debate is whether we install a Shelby engine into a fine tuned Vette which is competing on an even keel with the frontrunners. (I know, I know. The Shelby engine would be incompatible with the Vette.) In every race, you have to make a pitstop: for gas, new tires, or something else if disaster happens. We held our breaths when Mc Morris went done against the Rams. His flat tire was repaired and the team hardly missed a beat. We won the race. Now, we just acquired a brand new set of Michelins (Maybe you prefer Goodyear. Add your own favorite brand.)

Sure, it's a great honor to start for the Jayhawks. But in Selby's case, it's not about expected abilities. It's about proof in the pudding. Do you think for one moment that Selby wouldn't start if we had a losing record, or needed serious problems corrected? (Yah, I know. Our freethrows are abysmal. But that's a team problem, not something one player can correct by himself.)

For those who feel otherwise, I like kirkhinrichflow's comment from above: Let the PA announcer instill the fear of the Phog into USC's team when Josh Selby is announced as entering the game.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

HEM, To simply add to your concept--I think the odds are very favorable that Selby will indeed mesh with this team for 4 very strong reasons:
1)He said so--that should count for a little bit (it counts for a lot to me). He sounded concerned about "not wanting to upset team chemistry". Shows awareness/recognition of that issue. 2)He played unselfishly & involved his teammates in dramatic fashion in nonDiv1 play. The very fact he was noted to distribute the ball well is EXACTLY why he was given a "top PG" rating. Its what he does, and does well. Niko Roberts is a frosh PG@KU, but no, he doesnt have that "topPG" rating--why? 3)He sat and watched (as a guard, remember) all the things this team has been doing for the last 9 games, and recognizes some nuances. Sitting and seeing his team play could be a major blessing-in-disguise--its like he has Coach Self's view (and earful...) during game play...Also, think: "I see what got that player yanked...". 4)He already has chemistry with this team in practice--everyone says so. He also said he has a "real good" chemistry with Tyshawn, which is the most dangerous thing to hear from an opposing coach's point of view.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 4 months ago

Cragarhawk: I respect the fact that 1) you won't commit to who is better because you don't feel you have enough information, and 2) pointing out the overly definitive nature of my statement. I just feel I have enough information. Is there a 1 - 2% chance that Selby absolutely flames out? Sure. But I'll go with the 98+% chance. I will be interested in your opinion after watching the game Saturday.

The real issue (with all due respect to cragarhawk), is not if Selby is better; but rather, is Selby better for this team? Whether he meshes, whether he's selfish, whether he's a ball-hog, whether he actually plays defense, whether it's about KU or about Josh Selby, etc. What type of dynamic does Selby's insertion into this team create? That is the real issue.

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Competition makes everybody better, in my opinion. It's a good problem to have. Has anyone thought of the possibility that everybody loses some minutes if Selby pans out? This is possible to me, only because we could go with a small speedy lineup from time to time, which might suggest that MC Morris wouldn't lose any minutes, but the other bigs might. Foood for thought. RCJH!!!

ajhk 3 years, 4 months ago

It seems to me that coach is trying really hard to keep the lid on Selby in order to maintain team chemistry. I wonder, is he that good, if given the ball, and the starting job, that opposing teams will choose to send a representative to hang little white hankies on the fieldhouse rims as a gesture of respect and forfeiture? For scheduled away games the opposition will saw off their rims, pack them neatly in crimson and blue wrapping before sending them to Bill's house as a similar gesture? I think so. It would be a shame if Selby's greatness eclipses that of our program's entire history and sucks the life blood out of all that is to come. Everyone will know that the one great game and the one great player was, and will never be again. Why saunter into the gym at 5am to shoot a few thousand shots when his one will exponentially eclipse your lifetime's work by such a degree that if you're lucky it'll be less than noticeable. More likely your futile efforts will be like sending all that the game has suddenly accomplished in the Selby Era, back, a hundred years! Why even try! In fear of this very possible, high-level threat, I suggest that we make "Imprison Selby!" T-shirts.
Keep him locked up and help opposing centers from having his nuts dangled on their foreheads! His thunderous jams have been known to cause involuntary fetal abortions within a nine-block radius! Only God should be this great! Just not right for the Bible Belt! Better keep him on the island of Libby Lawrence or the God fear'n will have his gizzard! Wow. After thinking it through myself, I have to say once again, Bill you are correct! Better keep a lid on that! While I keep my lid off this!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I dont dislike Brady--he does what he can, when he can. All players will have stellar stretches, and slumps also. But a totally unrelated point is: Why on this green earth would Self go after yet another guard named Josh Selby? Now the natural, built-in clash comes because the yeoman player (BStar) plays the same position (combo) that the new guard Selby plays. So its set-up as a competition from the outset. And validated as such by WildBill who says Selby should rightly "beat out" someone to take their starting minutes. So they will compete: BStar, Reed, EJ, TRel, and to a lesser extent Little. This year Self is showing a tendency to run a 3rd combo guard in the wing position (namely Brady). So TT will be PG, JSel will be 2guard, and that "competition" for Brady's minutes at the wing also comes from Little and Releford. This is all good, as it makes us 11 deep...

KULA 3 years, 4 months ago

jaybate--Wow, you must have a lot of free time on your hands to spend so much of it thinking and writing about me. Either that, or you must be REALLY high! Get back to me if you ever want to debate basketball opinions I post--if you think you can, lol.

But thanks for the posts, anyway. I got a good laugh out of 'em. I don't know what's funnier--your lame attempts to rap, or the mental picture of an old man lamely attempting to rap. Either way, quite a hoot! And btw, contrary to your misguided assumption, I don't get any particular feeling of superiority simply because I live in LA. I get it from representing KU while I live in LA. I'm only here for the work I do.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

(Again playing devil's advocate): Consider also that neither Brady Morningstar nor Tyrel Reed or EJ or TT were a #1 rated guard. Whats the difference then--for most all of us have indeed been directly comparing them. My simply untested hypothesis is that difference has got to mean something immediately tangible on the court for JSelby? The reality test is of course when we see a body of work from Josh--and in all fairness, need to give him a game or two for nerves or adjustment...

This is an abstract discussion about "potential" based on ranking...no sleight intended to BStar or Reed. They know where they were ranked and why, and the scouting services know why kids like Wall, Rose, Irving, Knight, Selby are ranked where they are (all-around game to some reproducible degree is why...).

Jared Grillot 3 years, 4 months ago

As a Brady supporter, I have to agree he may just not be the better player. In fact, he's likely not. He will likely sit. And when I was on campus in '96, Paul Pierce was the better player, in most aspects of the game, and was awesome to watch as he flew above the rim, but we loved Jerod Haase. Should game/coaching choices be based on the player who will help the team the most? Absolutely. But for fans, and players we "love", it's not always about the stat line. Should Brady get lots of minutes? Eh, maybe, maybe not, but for those fans that have a special place in their heart for him, his # of minutes won't change that. There, at least for some, is the difference - love of a particular player for whatever reason is not dictated by love of their stat production. Otherwise, who in the world would remember T.J. Whatley? But we do. I can't wait to see Selby play, and it is likely to be awesome, but just can't help liking Brady.

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

See, Highelite is what Im talking about, Havent seen the kid play against anybody but highschool kids thus far, and he is an NBA Starter? Maybe he is, but how on earth do you know that? It's a fact that Selby is better than Reed and Morningstar? It's only heresy because you have absolutely no proof of that at this point. You may get your proof really soon, and I may get mine too, but until then isn't it speculation and not FACT?

When or if Selby proves he is better on the court and not on this board, It will not be heresy to say that he is better. Until then I guess I will continue to live in fantasy land.

Not meant to sound nasty but some tell me I sometimes come across that way, so this is my preemptive apology if that is the case. :) RCJH!!!

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Ralster, I have previously made some comments to the tune of "Selby has never played D1 ball, and we don't know if he is worth all the hype yet". I admit that, but it's not because I'm not behind him, or that I am against him. However, Brady and Reed have both shown that they can do what they do pretty much night after night. I know their production isn't enough for some, and I'm not necessarily saying it's enough for me either. But, there is a reason why they are out there, in my opinion, and that reason is that they are the best we have right now. In the come weeks I can definitely see that shifting a different direction, but I can also see it not shifting. It all depends on if Selby can ball, and seriously ball, at this level, I don't see why he can't, but I prefer to have him prove he can. Until then, veteran experience is the best way to win games right now. On the same hand, to me, winning games right now isn't as important as march and april, so if that means we put some more athletic, less experienced personal, with higher potential on the court, and lose a few with growing pains, I can live with that. Im just not going to throw Brady and Tyrel under the bus like some of the people on here are doing(not you, you're always respectable with your comments and I value them). And Hey, did you see TT finally getting a little more respect, Im lovin it!!!! RCJH

hailtoku 3 years, 4 months ago

Anyone else think part of the reason why Self isn't starting Selby is for this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, checking into the game for Tyshawn Taylor... number 32 Jooooooosssshhh Seeeeelllllbyyyyyy!!!!!!"

Can't wait.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Im a little tired of the constant Brady/Reed vs. Selby speculation as to where Josh's minutes will come from--so I will play a little devil's advocate: To all those who say Brady and Reed bring "intangibles", I simply ask what if once every so many years we get a recruit rated so high that he literally brings alot of "intangibles" and bball instinct right outta-the-box? Whose to say he isnt better than Reed and Brady already? Of course we will all know much more after seeing the kid play a few games, but it seems very few think JSelby will match his ranking (probably because of the Xavier Henry smoke&mirrors show...). What if someone can lock-down D, get steals, and is smart with the ball? (That equals/surpasses BStar and almost Reed right now!!!). Then what if said kid has an ability (like Kyrie Irving) to get to the rim or shoots the trifecta like frosh Collins could (who we called "pure" back then)? Just food for thought...

The undercurrent to my post is I felt sometimes like no one is in Josh's corner. Every comment from the players and coaches about Selby is that "he's real good, brings alot of energy/ does alot of things" and "has an irrepressible will on the court". That sounds exciting to me. Maybe it may abstractly remind some of Sherron, but you see Selby has a physique to play any style, better D, and aslo above the rim. A bigger Sherron is not a bad thing, as we rode him x 2.5yrs. Josh seems to have a happy personality, respectful, yet also seems to have a game-face that looks serious.

RCJH

Robert Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

What a great smile. That smile is worth a thousand words, not to get Jaybate going. This season is going to be a real treat. Hang on to your computers

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

100,

Do you recall a 2 unit team in d1 in which the first unit played half court through the bigs and had a second unit that played up tempo and through the wings?

I cannot.

It could really stress an opponent.

First, the speed ballers enter with a lead, so the opposing coach has to stay with his winded 1st stringers and the KU speed ballers are fresh.

Second, most teams are set up to play one game. They either ar half court teams, or up tempo pojpteams. Self tilts the minutes to which ever unit the opponent is least equipped to play.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

"Leaning toward not starting him"

Implies he is also has been thinking of starting him. Can you guys and gals imagine all the nights that HCBS sat at the kitchen table late into the night coming up with various line-ups and player combinations with Josh available.

Cindy probably called from the bedroom, "Coach Self, please report to the bedroom immediately..I have a new play for you.!"

Posted with total respect for the sanctity of marriage and a married couples privacy.

What happens in Lawrence, stays in Lawrence!!.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Can't believe no one has asked this: how many points will Selby score is first game?

My guess is 11.

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

Start, don't start. It's whether he's in at crunch time that matters. Personally I think this whole idea of "pressure" is a bit overrated. Had there not been a 1 year rule, Selby would've probably already have been starting on an NBA team. Secondly, players of his caliber and standing usually have enough confidence/ego not to be intimidated. Finally, there's many 19 year olds "starting" on our team in Afganistan and Iraq and the pressure they face is light-years beyond a basketball game.

Gil Ek 3 years, 4 months ago

Talked with one of the coaches recently and confirmed Selby won't start right away. Pressure would be too much. How soon did X get his first start? Probably be a similar timeframe. Maybe even a road game for the first start. The place will rock when he comes in!!!

TimmytheJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

For a second, I thought that Selby was taking Chemistry, the class. Whew! Hopefully he is taking Unusual Weather, Jazz, etc. like I did!

Good luck Josh!

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 4 months ago

Are you coaching to please the one and doners or to win champioships? Winning is the best recruiter, not feeding em full of bs and promises just to sway em over. Self tells it like it is.

Kye Clark 3 years, 4 months ago

Just a tad late getting in on this subject, but here is my two cents:

• I'd start him. He's going to be a starter eventually right? Coach Self is already 9 games behind figuring out the chemistry of this team, substitution patterns, and how certain line-ups mesh with his full roster available to him. If Josh is going to be a starter, why put that process off yet another game by bringing him off the bench?

• I think that even though he has an out with Josh missing 9 games and he can blame it on game conditioning or needing to earn it in games, I think bringing in the #1 recruit and not starting him is potentially damaging to future recruiting. We saw last year Coach Self basically handed X a starting position and in doing so almost forced redshirts upon Travis and Mario. While some fans didn't like X or the decisions made last year, the way Self handled it surely helped lure Selby here. Now you've got 2 years in a row bringing in a top 10 recruit, but if you were on the outside looking in I'd say it looks bad having the #1 recruit sub in off the bench. I can definitely imagine the speech Calisleazy would use out on the recruiting trail. "why risk going to Kansas and starting out on the bench? Would anybody in their right mind argue that Josh Selby wasn't better than Tyrel Reed or Brady Morningstar? At Kentucky the best 5 players start."

• To the fans that say bring him off the bench because it will just blow the roof off of the place...do you not think the same thing would happen hearing him announced in the starting line-up? And even if I was to concede that bringing him off the bench was guaranteed to incite more cheering and applause...why is that a factor? Just saying, you can cater to the sensational and do things for the pageantry of the game, but that's not always what's in the best interest of the team.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Not saying I'm right by any means, just how I see it.

kerbyd 3 years, 4 months ago

I am kinda torn between the 2 unit rotation that Jaybate espouses and Self's more conservative rotations. I remember how Roy Williams used to substitute a whole second team (unit) when he ran his run and gun style of offense. Of course, Roy never really focused on defense the way Bill does. I would like to see Self get away from the 8 or 9 guy rotation in favor of a 10 or 11 guy rotation to use more of our depth. Would be interesting to see if we could incorporate Naismith's name onto the uniform somehow. Kinda the way Marquette uses "AL" on theirs.

AncientJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Does this rank as #3 in Most Anticipated Debuts of a KU Hoops player? Right behind Wilt the Stilt and Danny the Man?

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It might take the opinion of a brilliant sports therapist to assess the adrenalin drain on Josh while he rides the pine, waiting. I predict that Self will call his number not far from 3 minutes into the game.

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Somebody said this earlier---my guess would be sometime after the first media timeout---Selby will come in then.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

@ Aloha---Ha, ha---forget to check in at the scorer's table----that's a real good one---but you know, that could happen because of all the excitement & hype.

Alohahawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Josh will most likely be the first off the bench. Question is, how long will HCBS wait to send him in? The betting starts here. Winner gets... bragging rights the rest of the season. My guess - 3 minutes 17 seconds. (16:43 mark of the first half.)

Oh, and please, Josh. Don't get so excited you forget to check in at the scorer's table. RCJH - Hawks by 27 over USC.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

Here are some ideas:

Promotional headbands with the "13 Rules" on them should be given to all attending the game Saturday. Players, to wear them during the game, of course as well.

A drawing for a free tattoo of the "13 Rules" could be held.

A new banner should be unveiled to rival the "..Beware of the Phog" one, and should read "Play by the Rules".

dynamitehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self on Josh Selby: “I don’t think I’m going to start him … ”

Dynamite’s translation of Bill Self on Josh Selby: "I'm not going to start him, but I'm going to run the $hit out of that thoroughbred within minutes of the start. The roof will come off the barn. He’s the best I’ve ever seen, and I recruited Deron Williams. And those board rats are crazy if they don’t incorporate midgets into their Founding Rules suggestions.”

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate, yes--that "2 unit" strategy uses all 11 starter-quality guys, and makes the other coach prepare for 2 full teams every game. I like it. This is very entertaining trying to 2nd guess what Self is going to do--who knows! AFH will be rockin...

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

The real competition shifts to Tyrel and Brady because that's where Josh's minutes will come from.

Actually, I think lessened minutes for both will improve each of their games, thus allowing quick bursts of offense or defense depending on the game situation. Coming from the #3 slot along with working in Mario or Travis, would give HCBS a real set of floor options.

Taylor, Selby, Morris, Morris, ___, fill in the blank based on what you need. TRob-Muscle, Tyrel-Trifectas, Brady-Lockdown "D", Mario-Mid-range, Elijah-Attack Speed, Travis-Transition, Jeff-Tall Tree, Royce-Mop Up.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

~A week or so ago, I said I hoped Bill Self did not start Josh Selby. I said that partly because I did not want him to have to face the "ridiculous" expectations out of the box, because I too think a player has to beat some one for his minutes. And I said it, because I thought Self was still pursuing the 2-unit strategy. But against CSU it seemed he had junked the 2-unit strategy. There were too many players not playing the second half that should have been, were he still building toward a 2-unit strategy. So: while I still hope he does not start Selby, I wouldn't mind now, if he were to do so.

~Self is a player. He is purposely discussing in public the issue of whether, or not, he will start Selby for two reasons:

a) to stimulate as much media hype as possible for the program to help Josh Selby assume the role, that Duke's Kyrie "I'm the #2 recruit" Williams falsely held for a month or so; and

b) so that the USC coach has to prepare for two potential starters.

I love it.

~And who knows? Maybe Self has not given up entirely on the 2-unit strategy. He is still talking about units. He did just say Selby has been getting all the reps with the first unit. First unit implies a second unit, not second stringers. Go for it, Bill! The 2-unit strategy with each team playing different tempos can pay huge dividends. It means coaches have to prepare for two teams every time. It means everyone on the team is going to be happy and working harder than they would, if you shut the door on 3-4 of the players. If anyone can pull this off, it is you, Coach Self. Strike a blow for "team." Make team include everyone for a change. You will be glad you did, when the Saturday-Monday conference grind rolls around, and then again when the two games in three days rounds of the conference tourneys and Madness arrive. These guys want to contribute, Coach. They want to change the convention of Okie Ball. They want to take Okie Ball to the next level...to the Kansas Level. Use them all, Coach. Keep playing them all till the rough edges are off in mid February, and the team storms the gates of the Madness, kicks them down, and brings home a ring for the masses.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

"Monday iHawking During Virtual Finals"

~ESPN is recommending viewers wear special glasses to watch KU, once Selby starts playing. ESPN especially recommends viewers wear them when Tyshawn "Quantum T" Taylor and Josh "Light Speed" Selby are on the court simultaneously. The glasses solve the problem of Taylor and Selby being too fast to be seen by the naked eye. The glasses are being jointly developed by DARPA and ESPN. They transmute the invisible-to-the-naked-eye broadcast images of Taylor and Selby into virtual visibility. The Booth family gave the seed funding for the technology.

~When I was a student, the time between the start of the semester and the end seemed to take forever. There was so much of everything. So many lectures. So much reading. Mid terms to study for. Teachers to try to out guess. So many parties to go to. So many games to go to. So much beer to drink. So many girls to meet and try to bed. So many failures with the girls you really wanted. So many rocket sled rides of romance. So many broken hearts. All in one short semester. Now, at this late date in my life, the same time frame seems to fly by in the length of a twitter. I have beloved routines. I have breaks in those routines for vacations. I have my family to love and to live through. I have all of my activities that I pursue. I have about one life a death emotional experience each semester, instead of half a dozen, or a dozen. I read what I want, when I want. I have a car that always starts and always gets me there. I cook great meals with the best ingredients I can find. I go out to restaurants and don't worry about ordering the cheapest thing on the menu. But I don't have those walks down Jayhawk Boulevard contemplating the universe with my best friend. I don't have Allen Field House. I don't have the next great book that radically changes everything I thought before. Life is gain...and loss.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the chemistry needs to be worked out amongst some of the KU fans on this post--------geeeeeeze------keep it positive for cryin' out loud!

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 4 months ago

the lights go out, its pitch black. the 98' bulls intro music comes on. STARTING POINT GUARD FROM BALTIMORE MARYLAND, JOSH SHOOOOWTIMEEE!!!! SELBYYYYYYYYYYY!! allen fieldhouse would knock the earth off its axis.

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 4 months ago

maybe Brady losing his starting job will wake his ass up! did anybody else see him get smacked in the dome with the ball at the beginning of the Memphis game? he has turned into some what of a turn over machine.......maybe B-star should take 1 bong rip instead of 2 or 3 before each game........just a thought

justanotherfan 3 years, 4 months ago

This is a tough situation. Everybody has been waiting for Josh to play. Josh has been itching to play. The crowd wants it. He wants it. The coaches want it.

But how do you do it effectively? If you start him, he gets the benefit of getting right in there, getting going right after warmups. The downside is that he might be so hyped up for the game that he is a little ragged after not playing in a full speed game since last April.

On the other hand, if he doesn't start, the whole crowd will be watching the bench to see him rise from his seat and display that #32 jersey as he makes his way to the scorers table. Even before he gets a chance to do anything, the crowd will be going nuts. A nice way to enter? Sure. But you want to talk about pressure? That's pressure. He may be trying to do something spectacular before he's even in the flow of the game, just because he wants to show everyone (and himself) the skillset he's had riding the pine all year.

Hopefully Josh can come in, get into the flow of the game, move the ball around a little bit, maybe get an easy bucket, or a simple assist fairly quickly to get himself involved. Maybe grab a rebound or something to let him get something positive going right away.

And then, off to the races...

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

I kind of thought playing time was earned in practice.

Frankly, I say play the best five guys, period. If he is one of the best, start him!!

Greg Lux 3 years, 4 months ago

I also agree with Josh not starting ... but I bet if he plays well or semi-great he will start the next game and every game thereafter. Just my guess and hope ( I guess ) :)

Rock Chalk

KULA 3 years, 4 months ago

Selby will be a starter, but not his first game--you don't take that away from Reed, your loyal senior.

But, about 5 minutes in, after the first TV timeout, when the crowd has settled down, Bill stands up, looks down the bench, pauses, and then points to Selby, who pops up off the end of the bench and rips off his warmups while the crowd, who's been waiting, longing, yearning for this moment for Oh So Long, worked into a frenzy of anticipative rapture, is finally granted that for which it has seemingly waited forever, and erupts in a thunderous ejaculatory ovation of gratitude and relief, like a fire hydrant that's been shut off for too long.

Take it from KULA, boys, this is how it will go down. You let Selby make an entrance and milk the crowd for all it's worth. That's SHOWBIZ, baby!!!

Btw, this is also how I treat my ladies.

Layne Pierce 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't think he should start, but in a game or so, he will beat somebody out, or everything we have heard about him is wrong.

I would love occasionally to have Selby, Johnson and Taylor on the court at the same time along with the Twins, and sometimes Withey and Trob.

Withey just is not up to snuff yet, I still believe he has great potential, and we will see it still this year.

SCHNBALL 3 years, 4 months ago

Josh Selby will start Saturday!!

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

"He said eventually Selby's position would be point guard." = TT will sit as Brady keeps his minutes.

kirkhinrichflow 3 years, 4 months ago

don't worry Brady will notch another DUI before Saturdays game, and Josh will start

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey, 991/2 how long did it take you to write this, probably 2 days and 3 dictionaries later you were about to put forth something to make yourself look impressive, well looks like you failed again. Tell your mommy that, she did a good job in helping you with this.

DocBean 3 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait to see Taylor and Selby in there at the same time. Two PGs that can break down their defender at any second and dish it off or finish strong will be fun to watch, and hard for a lot of teams to defend.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

Since the roof will blow off no matter what he does when he comes out on the floor, why not go all out, Coach Self?

And since the US historian named Selby & Josh (Swade) had so much to do with the 4.3 million dollar purchase by the Booth family...

How about as the roof is beginning to fight gravity & rise inches over the fieldhouse, Josh Selby (Selby, Josh) jogs out onto the floor with the original 13 rules of basketball, grins & tacks them up beside the court so, "the boys could understand the rules."

Oh since this is not a crazy idea... The other part of this, is, since "Selby lost his jersey" he will be wearing a jersey that "accidentally" has Naismith's name on the back..... Maybe he'd get a couple T's out of this & he might get thrown out of the game before he even touches the ball, but man what a sensible way to get some press from ESPN... Perhaps it might even force ESPN to admit that Selby actually was the overall #1 recruit by a recruiting service (Rivals) that doesn't make all of it's money off the east coast TV schedule?

"Oh my will you looky there, Vitale, seeing Selby out there making an a'ss of himself has made me double check some facts here.. Apparently he was even higher ranked than Brandon Knight!!!"

Vitale: "And look at that Fran... Harrison Barnes!!! What trash is that your reading? Rivals!!!! Hahahahahahaha"

(Not to put too much pressure on him, but seriously, in my mind Josh Selby is kind of like James Naismith, Wilt Chamberlain, Danny Manning, Paul Pierce, Darnell Valentine, Mario Chalmers, Jo Jo White, Clyde Lovellete & Jacque Vaughn all rolled into one, so a moment like this where he symbolically tacks up the rules & gets thrown out of the game for wearing Naismith's jersey could really cement the James Naismith Jayhawk side of his person.... I'm thinking, he'll get the Naismith side out first.... From there for the rest of the year, game by game, he can methodically break out the Wilt side of his person, the Manning side etc until we win the whole thing in April).

Questions? Comments?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Kind of had a feeling HCBS would not start Selby. I used to coach and I was guessing "coming off the bench." I hate it when I'm right----LOL!

Too bad I will not be able to watch the game---will be traveling on the road---bummer!

R2D2 3 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn reminds me of Rondo also, although Rondo is a great rebounder, they have a similar game.

Tysahwn is very fun to watch this year and I think not having to defer to Sherrron all the time has helped his game.

He is very much the "glue" of this team!

focojayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I haven't been this excited about anything in a while. Whether he is rated or overrated, starts or doesn't start, I just can't wait to see him play.

On another note, I noticed Tyshawn is leading the Big 12 in assists, not surprising, and he continues to get better. Does anyone get the feeling he will keep to improving and could possibly end up similar to Rajon Rondo? Just a thought.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 4 months ago

"We haven’t really had ‘the guy’ when we’ve had our best teams here." After listening to two years of talk about "the guy" who really wasn't all that great, I'm happy to hear this from the coach.

JayhawkRock 3 years, 4 months ago

I dont think he should start him...I like the idea of him coming off the bench in the first game at least because the roof might come off Allen Fieldhouse when he comes into the game...I would imagine he comes into the game around the 16 minute mark.

AsadZ 3 years, 4 months ago

My feeling - He would come in after the 1st TV timeout.

kranny 3 years, 4 months ago

Not to mention the freakin' roof will blow off the top of AFH when he does come into the game. Should be an awesome situation. Any bets on when he comes into the game? I'll bet it isn't during a timeout.

Ben Kane 3 years, 4 months ago

i agree... he should definitely not be starting in this game... by conference time though he will be.