Friday, December 10, 2010

Ole Miss joins KU atop list of juco QB Stoudt

Once thought to be the clear leader for junior college quarterback Zack Stoudt, the Kansas University football program appears to have company.

Kyle Veazey, the Ole Miss beat writer for the Clarion-Ledger, Tweeted on Wednesday that Stoudt’s coach at Iowa Western Community College told him that a recent visit with Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt brought the Rebels into a tie with the Jayhawks.

Here’s the meat of Veazey’s Tweet:

“Juco QB Zack Stoudt’s coach says Nutt/Rader visit earlier this wk was big. ‘Kansas was a front-runner. Now it’s really Kansas and Ole Miss.’”

Stoudt, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound pro-style QB from Dublin, Ohio, is expected to make a decision in the next few days so he can enroll at his new school in time for the spring semester.

Sources have told the Journal-World that he plans to sign Wednesday and likely will make his decision before then, perhaps as early as Sunday.

After Stoudt’s recent visit with Nutt and Ole Miss quarterbacks coach Dave Rader, Chase Parham of RebelGrove.com reported Thursday that KU and Ole Miss were Stoudt’s favorites. The two Ole Miss coaches met with Stoudt for a couple of hours on Monday and then flew to Ohio to have dinner with his parents that night.

Kansas coach Turner Gill and offensive coordinator Chuck Long followed suit the next day and dined with the Stoudts on Tuesday night.

Despite the recent progress made by Ole Miss, Stoudt remains upbeat about Kansas.

“Coach Long, the QB coach at Kansas, is a great guy,” Stoudt told Parham. “We got along well. He played in the NFL the same time my dad did. Turner Gill is a class act. The visit was fantastic. The players believe in the system and coaching staff.”

Stoudt’s father, Cliff, is a former NFL quarterback, who was the back-up to Pittsburgh Steelers great Terry Bradshaw for six seasons before starting for one. Stoudt’s younger brother, Cole, recently committed to Clemson.

One note of interest pointed out by RebelGrove on Thursday was that Stoudt’s parents are leaving the decision in their son’s hands.

“My parents think both (KU and Ole Miss) staffs are very genuine and are comfortable with both,” Stoudt told Parham.

Stoudt will make his official visit to Ole Miss this weekend. He told Parham that he may make a decision on the plane ride home.

“Obviously, this weekend is huge,” Stoudt said.

Last weekend, Stoudt capped his junior-college career with a record-setting performance in a loss to Snow College (which produced current KU quarterback Quinn Mecham) in the Top of the Mountains Bowl in Sandy, Utah. He completed 39 of 76 passes for a bowl-record 440 yards in the loss.

Rivals.com currently lists Stoudt, who originally committed to Louisville out of high school, as the No. 2-ranked juco quarterback in the nation.

Comments

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Bring on the SEC competition!!!!!!!

And haul him on in to Lawrence Coach Gill!!!!!

(by the way, a bunch of Florida Gators are itching to meet you Coach Gill.... I'm sure Urban Meyer would be happy to drive them up to Lawrence for you!)

Rock Chalk Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey, look at me, I'm ahpersecoachingexperience. I hate Coach Gill and Kansas, this guy will go to Ole Miss because KU is so stupid and Coach Gill is a toadstool. I hope this guy doesn't come to KU, but if he does, I hope he's not successful, because both of those things would prove all of my theories wrong. If he comes to KU he will be terrible, because...well, just because... I hate everything. Have a horrifying holiday. ... ah, sarcasm...

HawkInAL 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm with you ahpersecoachingexperience. My name is soobawls and I like to needlessly troll and complain about everything that is Turner Gill and the liberal agenda that put him at KU. It was a kneejerk, conformist administration that bowed to political and social pressure to hire him. If they only would have called me, I could have shown them the light!!!

I see your sarcasm, and raise you a douche-bag...

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 10 months ago

Kleave=ahpersecoachingexperience?!?!?!?! Wait how's that work?!?!?!?

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 10 months ago

Negative dittos for troll cluster: ahpersecoachingexperience, mulazza, soobawls, jayhawkinnebr. Mizzery luvs curmudgeons.

waywardJay 10 years, 10 months ago

Houston Nutt. really ? You want to trust your football life to someone who's last name is Nutt. Infact Nutt/Rader as a combination sounds pretty Comical. If this Kid Does end up going to Ole Miss, He will be coached by a Nutt, Tutored byt a Rader and he himself will be stoudt......

Then again, He'll still be stoudt if He comes to Kansas, he will tutored by Long, and Under the Wing of Gill ?

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

Uh, what's your vector Victor? Over, Under. Roger, Roger.

ebizzle 10 years, 10 months ago

1. Promise of being a starting SEC QB.
  2. A weekend of Oxford Coeds.
  3. Making a decision on the plane ride home?

Not looking good. If Gill pulls this out it will be a miracle.

Ashwin Rao 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree... If he makes is decision on his way back after a visit, the probability of him choosing that college is very high! One way to get us some chance is to convince Stoudt to take some more time to make a decision!

Robert Brock 10 years, 10 months ago

I think he cannot pass up the opportunity to study Faulkner...

Funhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Good writer, but his Southern characters were stereotypes. Faulkner is an example of using a writing talent at the expense of those around you.

I spent a day in Oxford. Lawrence is more fun.

Michael Leiker 10 years, 10 months ago

I've started "The Wind and The Fury" 5 times this year...read 30 pages and have to start all over again because I have no idea what they are saying or what is happening.

Don't go South Stoudt, they lure you in with their ah this, awe that, but they're just puttin' on a show.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

Let's hope that's not the case. Faulkner is the worst writer of all time (IMO).

Kevin Studer 10 years, 10 months ago

On a more serious note...what's with the creepy-looking girl in the mortgage ad on the page?

Michael Maris 10 years, 10 months ago

Why would Stoudt want to play at Ole Miss for a coach that is about to lose his job and is always being rumored for other jobs (as he was rumored for the Kansas job just a year ago). If I was Gill and Long, I would find a nice way to make that point to Stoudt. I've never been to Oxford, MS. So, I'm sure that the college enviroment is very pleasing to the eye. But, you won't be playing for coach Houston Nutt and Dave Radar for your two seasons at Ole Miss. I'm just saying.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

i think it's really key that we land him....Ole Miss needs a QB too, so it will really be about who he's more comfortable with.

C'mon Zack! (subliminal thoughts: you're a Jayhawk...you're a Jayhawk...you're a Jayhawk.....)

JHawkEddy 10 years, 10 months ago

Did I read this right? Ole Miss has pulled even with KU and he hasn't even made an official campus visit yet? Seriously, one dinner? Oh man, this is not good. As soon as he see's all those fine Ole Miss honey's it's over. That's it, thanks for coming KU, don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. And a decision on the pane ride home? What's that all about? All of the sudden I'm not liking our chances.

Coach Gill, get yourself and Long and Mitchell and whoever else you've got lying around and get down to Oxford and sabotage that visit!

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Or it could be that Ole Miss has a long way to go to beat out KU and he intends to commit to KU while headed home.

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

You like your women with green teeth and speech impediments? Negative IQs, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?

Hey if that's what you're into Zack...

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

A side note...off the subject...but interesting.

Rumors in Nebraska is that NU is possibly courting Mark Mangino for Watson's replacement as offensive coordinator.

Sam Brockert 10 years, 10 months ago

Do you think he would last long? Hot Headed Mangino coaching UNDER even hotter headed Pelini? That is an explosive pair.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 10 months ago

Pellini is rumored to be interviewing for the Miami job.

Funhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

MM and Bo. Now there's two peas in a pod.

troutsee 10 years, 10 months ago

Getting Stoudt is critical. He definitely will get more playing time here. I don't see Houston Nutt being around the Ole Miss program very long. We have great facilities, a beautiful campus, and a fan base hungry for KU football to be a consistent "player" in the Big 12. Come to KU Zack Stoudt!! You won't regret it.

I think for the first time in the more than 50 years that I have been associated with KU, the KU administration has finally committed to do whatever it takes to produce a consistently winning program. That dedication to FB has not been there until Lew Perkins. Say what you want about Lew, but he definitely moved KU FB in the right direction.

It's all about committment and vision from the top down. I think we have finally gotten the message. Although we have a great BB program, it is FB that dictates a university's leverage in negotiating conference and TV deals.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 10 months ago

Don't forget about 7 offensive lineman to protect you are committed to KU next year.

Chris1955 10 years, 10 months ago

I've actually been to both Oxford and KU and seen football games in each stadium during the same season. My daughter is a Freshman this year at KU, but we toured Ole Miss in the fall of 2009.

It's a nice looking campus, but KU is more impressive. I think their stadium is nicer. The main drawbacks from my daugter's perspective was that Oxford is the size of a postage stamp, it's close to 2 hours away from Memphis and 3 hours away from Jackson. Another deal killer for her was she couldn't get use to seeing students dress up for football games. The girls wore dresses, and the guys wore either suits or sportscosts with slacks and ties. Also, "Hotty Totty" doesn't measure up to "Rock Chalk Jayhawk". Unless Stoudt is a deep south kind of guy, my bet is that he signs with KU.

Sam Brockert 10 years, 10 months ago

He is from Ohio originally so he is definitely a Midwest kind of guy...

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

not good that he will make the decision right after visiting ole miss...that visit will be fresh in his mind and if it goes well i would expect that he will pick them.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

Does anybody know what type of offense Ole Miss runs? I think Stoudt is the prototypical quarterback for what Gill wants to do on offense.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I disagree. Michael Cummings is the prototypical quarterback for Gill.

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

The purpose of recruiting Stoudt is to fill in the gap at QB while Cummings redshirts his first year. And then we would have Stoudt and Cummings competing for the starting QB spot in 2012.

At least that seems to be the idea.

KCHawk81 10 years, 10 months ago

The few videos I've seen of Stoudt show he has an impressive arm, and he'd be a good get for next year. But...am I the only one who's more excited about Michael Cummings? I'm picturing him in two or three years behind that giant O-line, with Sims, Bourbon, and Miller trading carries. Fast, fast, fast. Cummings might need to speed up his release a bit, but he looks like he can certainly fill up a highlight reel.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Ha! Wish I had read your post before I commented on the one above. I'm with you, KCHawk.

JHawkEddy 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm excited for the Michael Cummings era to begin too. But I'm hoping he takes a redshirt his freshman year to mature and get his knee 100% healthy. Then he can back up Stoudt and, hopefully, take some cleanup duty snaps as a redshirt freshman and then take over the reins as a 3rd year sophomore.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Glass half full theory:

He has already made up his mind to go to Kansas but willl take the free weekend, realize Ole Miss is just like the name, rundown and old plus, next to Penn State, the worst uniforms in Division One football, get back on the plane, breathe a sigh of relief and declare..."I'm a Jayhawk!!"

Matt Tait 10 years, 10 months ago

That's the way I read it... I think KU's the definite leader and Ole Miss will have to knock his socks off to get a commitment.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

So if KU beats an SEC school for this kid can you ban ahpersecoachingexperience & jayhawkinnebr from the site after they start going off on how SEC schools are just trying to be nice to us?

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't know about that. Have you seen Oregon's uniforms?

Chris1955 10 years, 10 months ago

Do they ever wear the same home uniform twice is a row? Are they the "Ducks" or the "Fighting Fashionistas"?

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

Such a traditionalist. Would you prefer Sandskrit?

justanotherfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Stoudt is the guy because we need someone for next fall. Pick is a receiver and it's unclear whether Meacham or Webb is the real deal as a starter. We need Stoudt to start next season.

Cummings' knee injury means he probably won't be 100% until late into two a days next year. That will put him way behind the curve, but that's okay because the redshirt year will probably be beneficial for him. Michael Cummings is the future, but that future doesn't start until at least 2012.

In the meantime, if not Stoudt, we have to choose between Meacham and Webb. Neither did anything on the field to distinguish himself, so I am not optomistic about those prospects. If we solidify the QB position, we can be more consistent offensively next year, especially with Sims, Bourbon and others to use as RBs.

KCHawk81 10 years, 10 months ago

Good points, of course. I'm also hoping Cummings will be able to redshirt--and his knee may necessitate that anyway. I'm still optimistic about the staff's ability to coach Webb and Meacham in the off-season now that they have several games' worth of film on each. But you're right: at this point, Stoudt would be our best bet.

John Beck 10 years, 10 months ago

Visit Ole Miss athletic site and no mention of Zach Stoudt. How about a big picture of him on the front page of the LJW sports page and this website, send him a copy and get him the link, Matt? Anybody know how we stand in the Brock Bergland sweepstakes?

Matt Tait 10 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like Berglund's staying with CU. He's wanted to play there all along and now that the new coaching staff has made him their top priority, I can't see anything changing that.

JHawk74 10 years, 10 months ago

The rumor out here in SW Kansas is that Pick is transfering to Pittsburg State in Pittsburg KS so he can play quarterback. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I would guess that that rumor is false.

The only reason I can think of for him deciding to transfer to a D-II school would be to show off his ability and hope that he can impress enough people to go pro. I doubt that would actually occur, so it is almost certainly better for him to stay at KU. (Exception: Pitt State has an excellent auto program and is well recognized by auto companies.)

Pick was not highly recruited.

His other offers were from Colorado State, Iowa State, Rice, SMU, and Wyoming. He was ranked as the 13th of 25 "Dual Threat QBs." He also was not one of the Top 5 best QBs at scrambling, accuracy, or arm strength. (For reference: Mizzou's Gabbert was ranked as the #1 pro-style QB that year.)

However, he was fast and was listed at a 4.5-sec. 40. He did see the field a little bit at receiver at the end of the season, and he may be able to work out at that position.

Kerry Meier had similar numbers (14th of 30 dual threat QBs; 4.6' 40; ~200 lbs), but also had offers from K-State, TCU, Texas A&M, and Tulsa (those are the notable ones). Meier did not stay at QB, but he did make a very successful transfer to receiver. Meier was a little bit taller than Pick (which can especially make a difference at receiver), but there is no reason to think that Pick can't be successful and potentially make it to the next level at receiver (unless he can't catch).

Everything considered, the idea of Pick transferring to Pitt State just doesn't seem to make much sense with respect to his future.

William James 10 years, 10 months ago

Pick not only had an offer from Arkansas, but was committed to them before Manginos team stole him away. A couple days before he decommited from Arkansas, my and my brother saw him at a game and told him he belonged at KU. But that cant be right, because Gill is a better recruiter than Mangino.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 10 months ago

Coach Gill said that he talked to Kale after the season, and that he was onboard for the switch to WR. Gill would not rule out ever having him behind center again, but that is just b/c Gill won't say never.

It took Kerry several years to get his head fully around the switch to WR; even after he had become very successful at it. That also seems very reasonable to me considering the mentality needed to be an elite QB. Fortunately, it helps Kale a lot to have a pro success story right in front of him, as well as a coach that is all about being motivated.

RocknChalknRobot 10 years, 10 months ago

Reason for optimism from an ESPN Insider article...

"Moreover, if the Rebels are really in the running for West Virginia transfer Barry Brunetti, that would suggest a preference to stay with a dual-threat QB, which Stoudt most definitely is not. We imagine that by early next week, word will leak out that Kansas has what could be its starting QB for 2011."

yates33333 10 years, 10 months ago

Was it ole miss that claims it was not in the bidding for can newton?

mondhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

we will know most likely sunday night or monday morning