Kansas defeats Memphis, 81-68

• 6 p.m., Dec. 7, 2010
  • Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Garden party: KU basketball’s Tyshawn Taylor has happy homecoming in New York City

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor whips a pass beyond Memphis defenders Tarik Black, left, and Charles Carmouche, right, during the second half. Taylor and the Jayhawks beat the Tigers, 81-68, Tuesday at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Selections from KU coach Bill Self's press conference following the Jayhawks' 81-68 victory over Memphis on Dec. 7, 2010.

Download podcast

— Kansas University point guard Tyshawn Taylor bumped fists with head coach Bill Self as he headed through the center tunnel of famed Madison Square Garden toward the locker room following Tuesday’s 81-68 Jimmy V. Classic victory over Memphis.

Shortly after, Taylor — a Hoboken, N.J., native who scored 13 points and dished four assists against four turnovers in 34 minutes — exchanged texts with soon-to-be-eligible freshman guard Josh Selby, who was not allowed to make the trip in accordance with NCAA rules.

After showering, hometown hero Taylor met with media members in a crowded hallway for 20 minutes, finally returning to the arena stands where he visited with his high school coach, Bob Hurley, Sr., and a plethora of extended family members.

“It went great,” Taylor said of his happy homecoming to the Big Apple. “Madison Square Garden is a great arena, great place. I’ve got so much family in the stands right now. It was an awesome experience.”

The 6-foot-3 junior scored KU’s final four points of the first half, making sure the Jayhawks carried a narrow 37-35 lead into the break in spite of 12 first-half turnovers.

“It was a big game for Ty,” KU coach Self said after the No. 4-ranked Jayhawks improved to 8-0 and sent No. 13 Memphis to its first loss against seven victories.

“I think he started out real nervous, but made some big plays late in the first half when we had nothing going on. He’s a good player, but he’s careless. We know that. We live with that.

“Our whole team was ridiculously careless tonight. It was the first time we faced any pressure,” Self added after his squad’s 22-turnover performance.

Of course, Taylor wasn’t the only Jayhawk guilty of turnovers. Marcus Morris, who had five turnovers against five assists to go with his 14 points and eight rebounds, at one point went behind the back, only to lose the basketball.

“We’ve got a fun team, but we’re wild,” said Self, who will gain a ball-handler in Selby in Game 10, a Dec. 18 home game versus USC.

“Josh is wild, too,” Self added with a smile, “so he’s going to fit in great.”

He did add that Selby will be the second guy on the team who can “break down pressure.”

The first is Taylor, of whom Self spoke in glowing terms after Tuesday’s game in Taylor’s backyard.

“He’s our most valuable player to date,” Self said, “because he’s our primary handler. Without him breaking pressure down or being athletic on the perimeter, this team would be very deficient.”

Taylor grinned when told of Self’s team MVP comment.

“That’s definitely good, especially when it’s coming from the man, from the boss,” Taylor said. “It’s definitely good to hear. I’m going to continue to try to be solid for my team.”

With Selby’s debut coming sooner rather than later, the Jayhawks have been flooded with Selby questions of late, especially Tuesday with a large national media contingent on hand.

What did Selby say to Taylor in his text?

“He said, ‘Good game,’’’ Taylor said. “I talk to him a lot. I felt bad he couldn’t be here with us tonight. He had family in the game (cousins Will and Antonio Barton).

“I think it just adds to the craziness,” Taylor added of Selby’s return. “He’s a young player who hasn’t gotten to play yet. I do think he’ll help us a tremendous bunch.”

Noted Self: “I think our USC home game will be as anticipated a home game as we’ve had maybe in years in Allen.”

Both Self and his players alike hope they cure the turnover bug in big games.

“I think that’s exactly what we are,” Taylor said, agreeing with Self’s “wild team” assessment. “Just the dumb stuff that we do. We just make careless turnovers and mental lapses on defense. We’re supposed to know our scouting report. We do some dumb stuff, man, but I think coach likes us, because we play hard for the most part, and I think we’re a pretty good team.”

Noted Markieff Morris (16 points, seven rebounds): “We’ve got a fast point guard, and he just likes to go. When you get Ty in the open floor, there’s not a lot of people that can stop him. We sometimes get wild because we try to play with him, and then other times, he can slow us down and control us. But I think he does a good job of controlling the team once we get wild.”

The Jayhawks, who led, 52-46, with 12:32 left, went on a 6-0 run (Travis Releford four points, Thomas Robinson two) to go up by 12. The run continued to 22-13, and KU led, 74-59, at 3:31.

Elijah Johnson (seven points, three assists) had a vicious dunk off an alley-oop pass from Marcus Morris in that surge. Markieff Morris also slammed off a lob from his brother and rammed another vicious dunk off a pass from Taylor, saluting to the fans during the entertaining run.

“Memphis will be terrific,” Self said of the Tigers, who were led by Will Barton, who had 16 points, and Chris Crawford, who had 15. “It was nice to come to New York. We don’t get a chance to come back often. It’s a great place. The Garden has a different feel. Our guys definitely had a difference bounce to them before the game, which is cool.”

One guy had a bit more bounce than the others: Hoboken’s Taylor.

KU will meet Colorado State at 5:30 p.m. Saturday at Sprint Center.

Comments

100 4 years ago

Way to take charge 2nd half Jayhawks....

That said... Work on:

1. Passing crisp, passing crisp, passing crisp.

2. Bounce Passes.

3. Streaking through a trap when the trappers don't have angles (recall Mizzou last couple years & UK 1989).

4. Angles, angles, angles.

5. Pull up jumpers (although at times much better this game especially Taylor)

6. Boxing out, Owning the paint. Did well at times but this must be a 40 minute endeavor. No second shots!!!!!

7. Lastly.... No stupid, lazy passes!!!! Own that ball, pivot with passion, take a dribble if need be & get an angle for a crisp pass!!!!

Great guts Jayhawks, keep having a blast, we're having a blast watching you.

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Free throws, free throws, and more free throws! I posted this on the keegan ratings as well:

Coach Self should replay the final minutes of regulation in the national championship game against Memphis to this team to hammer in how important free throws are (he could throw in the statistics from the KU-Syracuse championship game as well). The last thing I want is to go into the tournament with the kind of free throw shooting track record Memphis had that year.

Ben Kane 4 years ago

this free throw problem is getting scary. watching the game with my girlfriennd last night (who knows not a thing about basketball and is somewhow a kentucky fan) asked me "don't they call them 'free' throws... you should charge them a dollar every time they miss" I like the idea. from now on they are dollar throws and they should have to shoot 100/day. if they feel it in their wallet maybe they will take them more seriously.

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Exactly. We all know that between an otherwise evenly matched team, free throws can and will decide the game. Get those guys on the stripe at practice. Bring in some students to make a bunch of distracting noise while they do it. Get this stuff fixed.

Dirk Medema 4 years ago

The difference in '08 was FT's. Not only that Memphis missed some, or even that KU was 14-15, but that they practiced enough over semester break that they went from 64% in non-conf to 74% in conf play, and 71% in the tourneys.

If this team really wants to be successful, they'll put in the exra effort on this pivotal part of the game. It will eventually be the difference between winning and losing a pivotal game.

2Bnamedlater 4 years ago

Well to go along with crisp passing, they need to go catch the ball as well, and not wait for the ball to get to them. There were a few times last night a Memphis player would geta tip away or a complete steal as we stood flat footed waiting for the ball.

Theutus 4 years ago

Taylor is doing a good job of slashing... But I think i've seen him make maybe 1 or 2 of the 20 running floaters he's put up. He needs to learn how to hit that little bunny from 5 feet out slashing through there..... It's almost always a brick off the rim.

eway12 4 years ago

It seems to me like he makes a decent percentage of his floaters. He's shooting 57% on the year and 63% if you take out the Valpo game. And he's only missed 18 shots total after taking out the Valpo game. I think he's been very efficient with his shots.

Theutus 4 years ago

Most of those "shots" are layups though... Stats are deceptive. I honestly think he misses like 3 out of 4 on those running floaters...

But the up-side is that he gets them consistently, so as soon as he starts sinking them (which i'm sure he will) it'll be automatic points...

honk_for_hawks 4 years ago

maybe its just the games I've been able to see (I've missed one or two because of work), but I feel like he makes a pretty decent percentage of those. He doesn't have it down like chalmers did, but I think he has made at least half of the ones I've seen.

yates33333 4 years ago

He is allowed one mistake before being pulled out of the game. Usually a defensive mistake.

John Strayer 4 years ago

Right now...the injuries have him pretty far behind...hopefully he catches up soon.

Joe Baker 4 years ago

Give him some time. I hope he's ready by Feb. He's out of sync from missing so much. It will be his year next year anyway, but we could sure use him now.

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Depends on what you mean by help. He's probably not going to be a regular in the rotation, probably won't get more than 5 minutes/game unless there's an injury or foul trouble. However, it's possible he could be ready by the end of the year to come into a tournament game and help us by delivering a Cole Aldrich vs. UNC-esque performance. The bottom line is right now he's leaps and bounds behind the Twins and TRob, he's not even as good a rebounder as Mario Little, he's constantly out of place on defense, he gets pushed around the paint, and he can't post up any legitimate big man. If he can stay healthy, banging with the Twins and TRob everyday in practice he should be more ready to help the team.

Steve Gantz 4 years ago

Vitale didn't have our game did he? He had the nightcap, thought that kind of strange.

My general feeling was we survived the officials letting Memphis mug us with out getting called for it. Perfect example, towards the end of the 1st half Reed gets shoved out of bounds. Ref says out of bounds, Memphis ball.

FT's need to improve big time.

TRob is wild but fun to watch.

Sam Brockert 4 years ago

yeah but you gotta admit, we had a bunch of fouls that weren't called...

Steve Gantz 4 years ago

I was watching on espn3 and had the screen size small, so it wasn't the best viewing. Maybe I missed some of the fouls we had too!

ohjayhawk 4 years ago

I MUCH prefer Bilas over Vitale any day. So, I was pretty pleased.

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Coach Knight was in the building... I would have preferred him, though Bilas is definitely less biased than Vitale.

honk_for_hawks 4 years ago

Bilas is definitely one of my favorites. I think Fran Fraschilla is one of the guys that likes us the most so obviously I like him. I am glad Vitale didn't get the game and honestly I hope we never have vitale ever again. When he is calling the game I put the tv on mute and turn on Bob Davis. I can't stand Vitale.

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Love when Jay Bilas and Dan Schulman call our games. Bob Knight is awful, can't believe someone was clamoring for him.

yates33333 4 years ago

Taylor really has turned into a great player. Half of his turnovers ought to have been fouls against the person guarding him. I hope he keeps this caliber of play going.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Predictions:

1] Josh Selby will make a move we haven't ever seen before. 2] Poor free throw shooting will cost us at least two games [if not corrected] 3] HCBS man crush on Brady has to end - Releford has more upside and he'll be here for two more years. 4] Jeff Withey will get hurt again. 5] Kansas will dominate the Big 12 once again. 6] Jaybate will put up a record breaking five posts on one article, then follow up with a one word post to throw everyone off. 7] Kansas will go 40-0, win the NC, and soobawls will find something to criticize. 8] The home winning streak will end....just not this year. 9] Dick Vitale will be caught rummaging through Coach K's garbage can for old, used kleenexes. 10] Half, if not all of my predictions, will be wrong!!

Steve Gantz 4 years ago

Addendum, KU will win back-to-back NC's and soobawls will criticize them!

Joe Baker 4 years ago

1. Should
  2. Agree- the FTs are crazy and people are hacking hawks. Reed is about the only one you don't want to touch! LOL- dude is automatic from the line!
  3. Mostly agree- you have to admit Brady's trey was huge, dagger-like and he does make bone-headed plays that make you wonder about a 5th yr senior.
  4. No- He's done with injuries, no more!!
  5. We gotta get past the pussycats, tiggers and cubbies...but mostly agree
  6. Never know what Jaybate will come up most of the time.
  7. Whoa, 40-0, I like the looks of it, but reality may be a bit different. I'd reather go 36-4/37-3 and win a NC, than 40-0 with little to show.
  8. Agree- enough said
  9. LOL- that's a pic to remember next time you see his dome on the next dookie love affair!
  10. not too bad, add give you high percentages (100% on #9- that's awesome!)

Torisen 4 years ago

If you go undefeated in NCAA division I, presumably that has to include a national championship.

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Releford continues to disappoint me. I'm all in favor of having him, Little, and EJ all dip into Brady's minutes somewhat, but Travis looked bad on defense again (after a poor showing in the UCLA game). His pattened dribbling off his foot move was less noticable amid the 20+ turnovers, but overall just not a good showing from him.

Darrel Stice 4 years ago

Unless the scouting report simply didn't mention Memphis' ferocious defense, I'm surprised HCBS didn't use his famous 5 on 8 press/press break in practice to get the guys ready. Of course, just because we didn't read about it doesn't mean it didn't take place, but we sure didn't look ready for the pressure from the press.

It's almost scary how good this team could be when Selby joins the mix, especially if we can 1) get under control and 2) improve on FTs.

RCJH GO KU!!!

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

I thought we broke them relatively well, but there were definitely points where we looked like we were tripping over ourselves to get through. With those swing passes we pull and the guards we have, there shouldn't be a press that we can't break with relative ease, as long as we're doing things the way we know how to do them.

clevelandjayhawker 4 years ago

The GOOD- Getting a W, hearing the rock chalk chant, passing, travis and TT with buckets when we needed them the most, TRob with some boards and outlet passes

The BAD- the hawks trying to beat the full-court-press, Free Throws, turnovers, TRob's missed dunk and a lot of missed shots from 4ft and in

The UGLY- How far can the hawks go in March/April with 3 bigs? If the twins and Trob get in foul trouble we are in for a bad night, all i can think is one big and little at the 4 and travis at the 3, either way Jeff needs to improve FAST

Notes- Billas saying "Jesus" under his breath was kinda funny as the memphis player went sky high for that alley opp, EJ with the alley was sick, and EJ trying to set one up from 60ft out reminded me of the Arron miles to CJ Giles dunk from 3/4 of the court (maybe like 2006) just didnt make it

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

I heard that comment, too. Totally cracked me up. At first, I thought to myself, did I just hear that? Yep, he said it.

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Gotta go check the replay for that one. It's funny that even for the guys who do this for a living day after day, seeing two high caliber teams go at it can still be shockingly impressive.

KU_Dropout 4 years ago

Taking the Lord's name in vain is not funny young man.

cpjc 4 years ago

Taylor may have had some good penetrations into the paint, but overall I thought his play was pretty sloppy. Sloppy passes, slow and careless movement of the ball to half-court eliminating any advantage to a fast offensive transition which is a hallmark of KU basketball. It was infuriating to watch. Glad we got the W.

slowplay 4 years ago

All in all, not bad. A few observations. 1. Memphis is going to give a lot of teams fits with their pressure. They are long, athletic and deep. 2. About 10 of those 20 TO's were unforced, and that is what Self needs to address. 3. FT's, as mentioned often so far, may be KU's achilles heel. That is a tough fix during the season. Hopefully the holiday break will allow the extra time. 4. Glad we didn't have Dicky V., I don't mind his ramblings as much as his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. 5. I wonder if HCBS will start Selby in the USC game or bring him in off the bench. In any event the decibel level at the PHOG will be outragous. I wonder how many students are delaying their travel plans to stay for the game. 6. The CSU Rams are now 4-1. They play the Buffs tonight. Not much height, but a good running team. KU's bigs are going to score at will. Might be a good chance to get Withey some serious minutes.

Ben Kane 4 years ago

i'd put money on Selby coming off the bench in that first game.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

I'll take that bet....Josh starts the second he is eligible.:)

Steve Kubler 4 years ago

If he doesn't come off the bench I will be shocked. There are just to many benefits to bringing him in rather than starting him. First off the kid is human he is going to be strung tight we don't need that affecting the rest of the team from the start. Second, the crowd will go absolutely nuts when he comes in why waste that?

There are team chemistry and player confidence issues too but I'm sure I've said enough to get the flame started.

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Do you not think the crowd will go nuts hearing him announced in the starting line-up?

As for player confidence issues, he has a built-in answer for that - Brady Morningstar. The guy has come off the bench, red-shirted, then started a whole year, been suspended to start last year, played off the bench, took Tyshawn's spot in the starting line-up, went back to the bench so Tyshawn could start later in the year, started this year on the bench, and has been starting for most of the actual games this year. Brady will not be affected by a move to the bench.

Lastly we all know Selby is going to be a starter for this team, and Coach Self will have all ready missed out on 9 games worth of opportunity to get his rotation and substitution patterns set. You talk about team chemistry, it needs to be worked out sooner rather than later. Why wait a game by putting him on the bench when you know he'll start?

tis4tim 4 years ago

I agree. Self always makes guys earn their playing time, and even though we know Selby is going to start sooner than later, bringing him off the bench will be Self's token way of reminding everyone that nothing is guaranteed.

Selby will start in his second game. :)

Kye Clark 4 years ago

I'm with Oakville. You don't bring in the #1 recruit and have him sub in, no matter what the circumstances. That is bad for recruiting, and Coach Self knows it. And that is to say nothing of the fact that I believe he's got to be better than Reed and Brady.

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

316 said it already----work on the free throws, man!!!!!!!! Duke can hit free throws, why can't we hit ours? It takes dedication and hard work and focus.

Chuckberry--great idea about the free throws. BTW, ditch the girl friend---if she is a Kentucky Wildcat fan---one thing you could do is to handcuff her to your bed and don't let her go until she admits that she is a Jayhawk fan--then, release her. Then, again, probably shouldn't do that.

I could see that whatever HCBS said at half time, worked for the Jayhawks the second half. The Jayhawks were more focused and the "killer instinct" was coming through in the end. Just imagine how good we could be if we handled the press better, cut down on our turnovers and hit our free throws? Unbelievable! RCJH.

Ben Kane 4 years ago

i live in Kentucky land... one thing i will give them credit for is that the people here are extremely passionate about their basketball team.

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Can't fault them for that. Would you ask someone in Lawrence, "Why do you care so much about KU basketball?" Of course not. They just happened to choose evil over good ;)

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

Hey, Chuck--

When your girl friend is Ashley Judd, then, I will be definitely jealous of you!

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Unfortunatly, most of the rest of the girls in the state of Kentucky look like Wynnona Judd!!

UKTroll 4 years ago

Sadly, I only have eyes for one...Jaybate. He spurned my advances many moons ago. Now I must live my life alone, hoping that someday he will come back to me and we will be together then for eternity.

Perhaps another will capture my heart someday, but until then only Jaybate will be the man of my dreams.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Oh my God, I just spit half my Diet Dr. Pepper across the room!!!

Along with searchingforbobbyfissure, UKTroll is one of the great posting names on this site.

oldalum 4 years ago

I believe Self said this was the first time the team had faced a press. I would think practicing for it and actually dealing with it in a game are two different things. They will be more prepared next time it comes up. As to the free throws, I'm just trying to figure out what happened. They were over 70% as a team early in the season, so I know they can all hit. TJ went from something like 40% last year to 65%+ in the early games. Then all of a sudden they can't hit them at all (except for Reed who is 16 of 16 now, I think). You're probably right about focus. Too many other game thoughts in their heads when they step up to the line? I do know that concentrating too much on free throws in practice is considered bad by many coaches because it's such a mental thing. All of a sudden it's in their heads, and it's really hard to get back on track. Self has commented that we need to work on it, but that too much emphasis can really mess them up.

REHawk 4 years ago

+1 on that wager that Selby will come off the bench vs. USC. Fieldhouse will rock and roar!

kerbyd 4 years ago

Wild things...................I think I Love You!

Steve Brown 4 years ago

KU pep band had better be blasting 'wild thing' You make my heart soar...

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

"But I want to know for sure---------------------------------------

Wild things--dah, dah, de de dah dah----- you make my heart sing-----

groovy!"

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Outstanding article on Tyshawn, Josh and Kansas on rivals.com NCAAB. Jason King has started the official countdown to Selby Time!

2Bnamedlater 4 years ago

Thougth TRob brought the tenacedy on the boards last night. That was missing against UCLA. Gotta give him some respect with a 10 n 10 night. He mised a few bunnies, but his missed dunk was fun to watch cause at least he was trying to throw it down. But he hustled to the ball in the air and on the floor.

Great game TRob!!!

Dyrk Dugan 4 years ago

2B,

Yes, TRob was basically the difference. and he has to continue to be so. what a great dribble drive he had for a basket...and his follow up on his own miss. Great improvement, and if he keeps improving now, look out.

FTing will come....we've had a bad stretch. i mean the guys missing, are the guys who have made them before....(Tyshawn, Marcus). i'm not really too concerning with foul shooting.

our boards were way better last night....and our dribble drive defense in the 2nd half was a lot better....not so much the first. Ball handling was not good overall, but hey, Memphis is quite athletic and quick....it's a good test for us. if we have only 13-15 TOs, we probably win by 22.

overall a much improved game, and a good win vs. a young, quality team. we get the Sprint Center game now, and then it's welcome to the big time Josh Selby! can't wait!

Rockin and Chalkin!

AsadZ 4 years ago

Went to the game last night, first opportunity to see the team this year. Here are my observations:

1. Memphis is good, quick and very deep. Their coach has done an excellent job in re-building the program. They have the pcs to go deep in the tourney.

2. Twins and TT are backbone of this team. While TT had some TOs overall he played another great game.

3. Reed: This kid amazes me more and more. While he does not have the size and natural athelithic abilities, he plays hard on both ends and never complains. Overall team plays better when he is in the game. He seems to be taking a quite/non-vocal leadership role as well. Kudos to Tyrel.

4. Mario: This game was too fast for him. He is better suited to play against teams like UCLA

5. Releford: He seemed lost in the 1st half but did a good job in the 2nd half. He needs to work on being more consistent.

6. EJ: had a good game. I'd say one of his best so far. His style of play and speed suits well against teams like Memphis.

7. T-Rob: He is a beast but continues to run wild. he can be so much productive if he slows down a bit and play under control.

8. Withey: he is just not ready for big time yet. He needs more time and practice. I am hoping that by Big 12 schedule he can be polished to contribute for 10-12 minutes. We will need him as our Bigs, especially the Twins, get into foul trouble early.

9. Brady is Brady. Does little things that does not show up in the stats.

Team was not ready for the pressure and I think got surprised by Memphis pressure in the 1st half resulting in 12 TOs. But great to see them adjust and take care of business in the 2nd half.

It was a fun game to watch in the garden and was great to see tremendous showing by the KU fans.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years ago

Let me add to your appreciation for Reed. He understands the game. He does things fundementally when needed, i.e. when pressed full court on the inbounds Reed understands the ball must go to the middle to avoid getting trapped in the corner.

Theutus 4 years ago

Not to sound like one of the Brady bashers here... But last night Brady was god-awful, and should have been pulled early in the first half.

He started the game off not paying attention and getting hit in the face with the ball on like the first possession. He then proceeded to make 4 turnovers in the first half alone. I can think of at least a couple other possessions in that half where he didn't get credited with a turnover, but he should have.

This was honestly the worst game I can ever remember for Brady... But Self kept him in, and even started him in the second half.. I just don't get it.

I'm all for Brady seeing time, but it seems like once Self picks his "guys", he never holds them responsible for anything they do. No accountability.

slowplay 4 years ago

"but it seems like once Self picks his "guys", he never holds them responsible for anything they do. No accountability."... I somehow doubt this. 1. It was not a good 1st half for Brady with 4 TO's but I believe Marcus had 4 in the 1st half as well. 2. Both Morningstar and Reed know how to play within the confines of the offense. There is a reason KU leads the country in assists. 3. Other than the 4 TO's, Brady played well and it was great to see him knock down both 3's he attempted. That said, Brady will see the largest cut in minutes once Selby is activated and EJ is going to cut into Reed's time as well. 4. They will both drop from 25-26 mpg to around 12-15 mpg. But, whenever things get a little too sloppy, Self will look to both Reed and Morningstar to calm things down. Also, they are the 2 best FT shooters on the team so they will be in games when the other team is playing "hack-a hawk".

Theutus 4 years ago

In the first half, Brady had 4 points, 4 turnovers, and I believe either 0 or 1 assist...

Again, i'm all for him getting some time... But the fact that he stayed in the game after making turnover after turnover (a bunch of his mistakes didn't show up in the box score as well, and he looked just terrible on the court)... That tells me that Self is going to leave him in no matter what. There needs to be more accountability than that.

Same goes with McMorris who was awful for the first 15 minutes of the game. In one stretch he made two immediate turnovers without us even crossing half-court, and then he took a terrible contested off-balance shot and gave the ball right back to Memphis for another quick score... Mistakes happen, i understand that... But we have a deep enough bench, get those players out for 1 to 2 minutes, and let them recollect instead of staying in the game making mistake after mistake. That's all i'm asking for....

BTW, EJ had an awesome game last night... He made virtually no mistakes. Also, he looks more in control with his ball-handling skills than Taylor does... Taylor just looks out of control during pressure a lot of the time... I think Taylor really belongs at the 2, doing his slashing. Reed/EJ should be at the 1 bringing the ball up... But hey, that's just my opinion.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years ago

Memphis was ranked #13? Really?

If that's true then hey, this was a really good win.

Anyone else think the rims were tight?

Jared Grillot 4 years ago

Yeah, for a while in the beginning definitely looked like nobody was going to score a thing.

Kind of thinking Memphis got there based on potential and hasn't dropped because they hadn't lost. However, they've definitely got some skills. If we had played more under control last night, though, the margin would have been a bit bigger. We looked more comfortable, just sloppy.

addlime 4 years ago

Seems like all the posts here are in agreement, turnovers and free throws are the biggest problem so far this season.

1) I think Marcus's comments are interesting about the correlation between TT's wild play and its trickle down to the rest of the team. Teams tend to take on the characteristics of their leader. Not sure what the solution is here.

2) Didn't this team basically make every free throw in the preseason games? Tells me its either conditioning or mental. Hudy rocks, so forget conditioning. The misses are so off it really makes me think its mental. I think the team needs to focus on freebies more, with an emphasis on the routine, not the result.

jaycard 4 years ago

What? Freethrows? Somebody notify HCBS....Come on people, do you think they DON'T work on freethrow shooting every day?

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years ago

Uh, well, no I don't, or do. I mean, until they show improved results I can only assume they are not working on freethrows.

100 4 years ago

Now that we've had some intelligent discussion, let's see what a fan of another team thinks of our play, not only in the Memphis game, but also in the UCLA game...

Let's find out what she thinks about Coach Self & Brady Morningstar & "how good" the Jayhawks look overall in her eyes the last couple games....

Ladies & Gentlemen, without further ado, for your reading pleasure....

Ms. Jayhawkinnebr!!!!!!!

{take it away ma'am}

Kye Clark 4 years ago

Jaycard - saying that is like saying "what? Turnovers? Somebody notify HCBS...come on people, do you think they DON'T work on taking better care of the ball/ball security and crisp passing every day?"

Obviously they shoot free throws in practice, just like they work on defense, passing, and all other aspects of the game. The point people are making is that the free throws troubles is becoming an unsettling trend early in the season, and whatever necessary steps are needed to correct the problem should be emphasized in practice.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

soobawls...is that you, you naughty little vixen??

ChicagoJHawk 4 years ago

Were any of you guys at the game? Just curious if the place was majority KU fans or not?

wrwlumpy 4 years ago

It seems to me that the Brady haters are the same people that wanted Cole to start instead of Darnell. After the Memphis press had 3 straight turnovers, I was pleased that HCBS put Brady back in the game. Yes, Selby will be much better at breaking the press and be a breakdown scorer, but Brady will always be in the game when Senior leadership is needed.

Also, thanks to ESPN for giving KU a recruiting edge for the next 3 years by including us in the pre-season Champions Tournament.