Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Walk-ons C.J. Henry, Chase Buford leave KU basketball team

Kansas guard C.J. Henry drives past Central Arkansas guard Imad Qahwash during the first half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball walk-ons Chase Buford and C.J. Henry have decided to leave the team, coach Bill Self announced Wednesday.

C.J. Henry, Chase Buford leave KU basketball team

Buford will stay at KU to pursue a degree, but Henry will leave to continue playing basketball.

Buford, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from San Antonio, will remain a student at KU and pursue his degree in business finance. Henry, a 6-4 junior guard from Oklahoma City, has not yet announced if he’ll be pursuing a professional hoops career overseas or continuing at another school.

Henry began his career at Memphis, where he red-shirted the 2008-09 season before transferring to KU, where he joined his brother, one-and-done player Xavier Henry, a first-round 2010 NBA Draft pick of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“We, as coaches, have thoroughly enjoyed having Chase as a member of our program the last three years,” Self said. “I totally understand — this being his senior year and the time commitment involved — that he wants to pursue some other interests and also enjoy being a normal college student for his final campaign.

“He’ll always be a Jayhawk. He will always be part of our program, but certainly we respect the fact that he has other interests and wish him the very best,” Self added of the player who appeared in 36 career games, averaging 1.7 minutes, 0.3 points and 0.5 rebounds.

Henry, who battled injuries all last season, averaged 5.6 minutes and 3.1 points in 13 games. He hit 11 of 21 three-pointers.

Henry, who turned 24 on May 31, played professional baseball in the New York Yankees organization from 2005-08. He had orally committed KU his senior year at Putnam City High School. The Yankees paid his tuition to KU.

“C.J. informed us toward the end of July that he was going to look into other options to further his basketball career,” Self said. “At this date, I do not know if anything has officially been decided on what he will be doing or where he will be attending, but he has decided to leave KU. It’s a decision I totally respect.

“The Henrys have been Jayhawks for many, many years, and certainly Xavier had an outstanding freshman campaign,” Self added. Henry’s dad, Carl, and mom, Barbara, both played basketball at KU.

“C.J. battled injuries all year long but has been healthy this past spring and summer. He is a good player. He was definitely in the mix for being a major contributor on the court this season, but we respect his desires and certainly wish him the best. I know he will be successful wherever he goes.”

Kansas returns two starters – Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor – and 12 letter-winners from last year’s 33-3 team.

“We’re very excited about this upcoming season,” Self said. “My batteries are recharged, and I think the players’ are as well. I think we have had the best spring and arguably the best summer with our guys from a personal-improvement standpoint.

“We have a nice nucleus returning but have other players that just haven’t had the opportunity to show what they can do yet, waiting and champing at the bit to put themselves in a position to be on the court. This will be a fun and athletic team.”

KU loses two walk-ons in a year the Jayhawks add two non-scholarship players. Justin Wesley, the 6-8 brother of former KU player Keith Langford, will red-shirt this season after transferring from Lamar. Niko Roberts, a 5-10 guard from St. Anthony’s High in Long island, N.Y., is the son of former KU assistant coach Norm Roberts. Other walk-ons on the team are senior Conner Teahan and junior Jordan Juenemann. Wesley averaged 1.2 points and 1.3 rebounds a game in 23 games (two starts) at Lamar. He averaged 9.0 ppg and 6.6 rpg his senior year at North Crowley High in Texas. Roberts averaged 15.0 ppg and 5.0 assists his senior season.

Return of infamous Facebook page

KU junior Tyshawn Taylor, who caused some problems for himself by writing inflammatory material on his Facebook page last year, has brought back the page after a multi-month absence.

“I just turned it back on last week,” Taylor told Foxsports.com. “But I’m watching myself. I’m taking good care of it. That’s what I plan on showing — both on and off the court — this year,” Taylor added, referring to maturity. “I think even by coach Self letting me do Facebook and Twitter, it shows that he trusts me.”

Recruiting

Nick Johnson, a 6-2 senior from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., has committed orally to Arizona, Rivals.com reports. Johnson had planned on visiting KU in September. However, he has long been considered a heavy Arizona lean. ... Mikael Hopkins, a 6-8 senior from DeMatha High in Hyattsville, Md., likely will visit KU the weekend of Sept. 11, Rivals.com reports. Rivals.com’s No. 76-rated player also is considering Florida State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Georgetown, Boston College, Pitt and others.

Comments

TwinCitiesJHawk 9 years, 7 months ago

We knew in the back of our minds that after X left, CJ wouldnt stick around.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

I just had a gut feeling that something like this would happen. I just didn't see CJ anywhere in the plans for this upcoming season. So CJ is going to pursue other options in basketball? Good Luck.

I wonder if this will close some doors for Chase in the future if he wanted to stay and do something that is involved with basketball? Not sure what I make of Chase leaving.

RockChalkGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

WTF? First part was informative. Last part was classless.

areyouserious 9 years, 7 months ago

you cant triple stamp a double stamp......yes i can, no you can't, yes i can, no you can't, yes i can!

Rich Hines 9 years, 7 months ago

When you are on your deathbed, and reminisce on the high points of your life, if they consist only of insulting posters on this forum, you have my deepest sympathies.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

Anythonyzal: You can't be this misinformed can you. People can "Follow You" through Kusports. Not sure if you knew that or not, but I'll provide the link so it is helpful for you. You're welcome.

Here's yours:

Anytime you want to call a truce I'm for it. What do you say? I'm tired of one upping you on every post I write and making you look foolish. It's becoming tiring, but you do provide me a good platform for laughter. What do you say? You have a family that you need to quit embarassing.

goshenjhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Jeepers, anthonyzal, you must have had a seriously bad week. For the record, I found the Bud Light commercial spoof funny. In addition, I often find kushaw's take on this website to be interesting reading. On the other hand, I can't remember a single enlightening thing I've read from you -- negativity seems to be your only contribution here. Oh and btw, some of us aren't willing to pay for sports information on ESPN Insider accounts and DO appreciate when people like kushaw occasionally copy & paste those articles. Enough said, carry on with making yourself look like a jacka**.

Joseph Kuebel 9 years, 7 months ago

lollllllllll in all fairness to zal. he was somewhat correct w the first one.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 7 months ago

I disagree. C.J. has the potential to be a major contributor and I thought playing out from behind his brother's shadow would give him the chance to show his talent. Chase might not be missed as far as being a player but he brought senior leadership and contributed with his hard work in practice. I hope C.J. will finally end up somewhere where he can immediately land a starting position. I hope nothing but the best for him. Wish he had stayed.

BigTamale 9 years, 7 months ago

If wants CJ to "persue" basketball elsewhere, looks like he'll have to go D2 route like Appleton did... then he wouldn't have sit out another year.

kubball99 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't believe he would need to sit out a season if he decides to transfer. Much like when he transferred from Memphis, since he was a walk-on, I believe he will be able to play next year. I could be wrong though...

BigTamale 9 years, 7 months ago

Is Europe even an option? Best of luck CJ!

Kyle Rohde 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm doubting Bill is shedding any tears over CJ leaving - that rids him of the headache and prima donna attitude of Carl and his son, who both continue to believe CJ's talent is far greater than it is. Not worth the pain.

areyouserious 9 years, 7 months ago

well said........

Thank God we never have to discuss the Henry's again! Thanks for making Coach Self's hair even more gray.......oh wait.....nm

-perhaps CJ is busy negotiating Xavier's contract with Memphis.....

Dee Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone have any information on Josh Selby and the NCAA?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

Why do I feel like this is mine an anthonyzal's relationship at the moment. This is absolutely hilarious. Thank you for providing me with humor.

I know how much you like reposts so I thought I would copy and paste my "Real Men of Genius" post just for you.

Intro: Bud Light Presents Real Men of Genius

Chorus: Real Men of Genius

Narrator (Deep Voice): Today we Salute you Mr. really really really bad poster.

Chorus: Mr. Really Really Really Bad Poster

Narrator (Deep Voice): Back peddling, spewing of garbage, creepy poster stalker, cool poster wannabe that doesn't have one creative thought about Jayhawk Basketball. You are either well liked or an actual seal.

Chorus: Get me Jesse Newell or Tom Keegan out here.

Narrator (Deep Voice): As soon as you post the taunts begin. Is that all you got playa? Unfortunately, yes playa, that is all you got.

Chorus: That's all you got playa

Narrator (Deep Voice): Who's in the house? Some guy who played an Orca all up in your............that's who's in the house.

Chorus: You're stuck playa

Narrator (Deep Voice): So crack open a Bud Light Mr. Poster Wannabe. Because you really put the "ous" in humorous.

Chorus: Mr. really really really bad poster.

ABeesus 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't know why you guys are arguing, but you've almost killed me with that funnyordie website you mentioned.

Very funny, thanks, now I'll get nothing done today, because I'm watching it!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

Abeesus: I know, right? It's hilarious. A buddy just sent it to me today. Keep letting it play through all the interviews. All the interviews are great, but I love the Conan O'Brien, Charlize Theron, and Bradley Cooper one's the best. I couldn't stop laughing for 40 minutes.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

By the way, the ferns are almost dead in the Bradley Cooper one.

Yakihawk 9 years, 7 months ago

excellent link, ZG is a funny man (as are all his guests). it made reading this article and comments worthwhile!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

Good bye Henrys...we hardly knew ye!!

Damn, there goes our chances for a National Title. If we lose Jordan and Conner, we're totally screwed. :}

Could this be a classic case of "addition by subtraction?"

Don't we have an incoming walk-on who might have potential?

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 7 months ago

Very poor on Henry's part to not keep Self updated. The kid was getting his education paid for by the Yankees. Now, it appears he won't even get a degree. Trust me some day the "big" money his little bro may be making will run out and old man CJ will be penniless. His baseball money goes only so far and he'll have to ge a real job. Just sad some of these jocks think the world revolves around them and they can't make common sense decisions. CJ needs to take care of his life and not be caught up in what he perceives as the "good" life Xavier may have. However, seeing how his pops was a mess with his mind set none of this is shocking.

RockChalkGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

My son's 6-6 and 165 pounds going into his junior year in H.S. Maybe this opens the door for him to walk on in 2012? (J/K about being able to walk on. Even KU's walk-ons are high-caliber guys that could play on lots of D1 teams).

brgregory 9 years, 7 months ago

I heard through the grapevine that CJ has plans to go elsewhere and "train like a professional". Also, is it a typo or did Self's quote actually read: “At this date, I do not know if anything has officially been decided on what he will be doing or where he will be attending, but he has decided to leave KU!!!"

Matt Kenton 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes, the Henrys clearly do not need to involve one of the most connected men in college basketball with the life decisions of CJ.

Unless he is done with basketball and is going to focus on being Xavier's PR manager, much like LeBron's entourage. Carl will be CFO, Mom can run Legal...

Michael Auchard 9 years, 7 months ago

Well, too bad. I wanted to see C.J. succeed here.

I won't be sad to see "Mr. Manipulative" Daddy Henry out of the picture, though. Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out, man.

nappaneejayhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Too bad but this way Kansas does not have to worry about daddy Henry and his little kiddy fits!!! Maybe he should help X with his contract dispute!!!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps C.J. wants to return to Memphis??? Yep, methinks he saw the writing on the wall (i.e., little to no playing time).

jumpinjayhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Thank god the Henrys are gone. What a waste, we would have had John Wall last year if Henry would have gone with Cal. X wasnt very good, his brother sucked too. Glad to see both of them gone, hope we never hear the Henry named metioned again. X's lack of aggressiveness cost our team many games including the tournament. Goodbye X please dont visit in the future.

CD2010 9 years, 7 months ago

"cost our team many games"? You are aware that Xavier only lost 3 games in his entire KU career, aren't you? And in those three losses, he averaged almost 12 pts. per game. Marcus Morris and Cole Aldrich each averaged 10 ppm in those loses.

X was a solid contributor on a great team that didn't achieve it's goals. I wish this board would stop trashing him and his family every time there is an opportunity. God forbid a top ten recruit or his family were to come on here, see how jayhawk "fans" treat a former standout who played himself into a lottery pick, and decide they're going to look somewhere else.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

Young Lady,

Sometimes your arrows are dipped in poison, but you rarely miss the bullseye.

SoCalAlum 9 years, 7 months ago

From the few times we saw him last year, CJ looked to be a good shooter and I figured he'd get an opportunity to contribute meaningfully this season. Whatever his outcome - and I wish him well - he's showing good judgment in getting out now...before it all starts flying.

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 7 months ago

I hope Self learned from the Henry experience. We dealt with dad and brought in CJ to make Xavier happy and want to come here. I am surprised it took this long for CJ to leave. We can now move on and focus on the our present squad and making this team a more cohesive unit than last year.

With more focus and less distractions this year we just may surprise people this year. I would be shocked if we didn't go pretty far in the tournament this year as long as we are focused unlike last year's team that had distractions throughout the season.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 7 months ago

Ha, I was right about CJ! He is not a finisher. He was a flop with the Yankees and will continue to be a flop in college bball. He wants to live off of the rest of his dough that the Yankees wasted on him, and probably partake in his brother's money. Self sounds happy to get rid of him since he wasn't a real prospect, just X's afterbirth.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 7 months ago

True story: My cousin has a glass eyeball. I took him to the game a couple years ago when KSU finally broke the win streak at AFH. Which obviously means that 32599 eyeballs = bad luck.

kujaydoc 9 years, 7 months ago

Note to Self, make sure pirates go to games in pairs!

kerbyd 9 years, 7 months ago

I thought Bill Self's remarks were great and typically classy as are most of the things he says and does.

Brian Skelly 9 years, 7 months ago

Other the being the extra part of the "Package Deal / Player to be named later" fun that was the Henrys, once it was apparent he was going to be buried on the bench his time here was going to be short. Sure, he would have "competed" for time like most the other guys but its obvious he wasnt going to be high up enough the chart for himself (or Carl's) liking.

The reality is, he's 24 or 25 as well. We're talking ancient for College athletics (7 years older than incoming Freshman). This concept of him being ready for "pro ball" is laughable, but clearly he'll have ties and connections that will give him every shot possible to do that.

At this juncture I dont really care. The sentiments shared frequently in regards to dealing with the Henry's isnt always fair, but they're not always inaccurate either. The hoops Self went through to get "X" made plenty of Alums squeamish. While they'll be situations like this in the future, I hope Self realizes he can get most any kids (including top 10 talent) to sign without needing to go through this stuff.

PVJayhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Ralster, I think you are right about the "sandbagging" and it makes sense that it was done on orders from Carl so as to protect X's body for the NBA career.

kvskubball 9 years, 7 months ago

Ralster,

With CJ leaving, it certainly seems he isn't willing to face tough competition in order to get more playing time....Yes, he'll be able to get more playing time elsewhere, but he looks like a sissy for leaving instead of fighting for a job, where he could be in the spotlight, at KU...now he'll have to go to some dark corner of the bball playing world to play...

Spencer Goff 9 years, 7 months ago

Am I alone in feeling like a taint was on our program the minute the Henry's came around, and with CJ leaving it signals the end of a bleak cloud?

I think it was an experiment that failed miserably, and I hope the "NBA audition" bug left with them.

And yeah, Ralster, I felt like he sandbagged. He came in, looked really awesome to catch some limelight, then coasted. I'm also not convinced the kid has ever made a decision on his own in his life.

Bring on Selby and EJ, I want to see guys go up-tempo.

hawksince51 9 years, 7 months ago

CJ will not be missed and if he has a future in pro ball it is on dirt not hardwood. He should get on with baseball before he gets any older.

Ryan Richey 9 years, 7 months ago

Well...CJ did talk about being one and done. LOL.

Joel Hood 9 years, 7 months ago

Clearly, CJ wants more playing time. But, I am not sure where he could transfer and play right away. What will his academic status be? He only had three years left when he came to KU because of his age. Will he now have to sit out another year before he is allowed to play? How will this help him develop a career playing professional basketball?

Seriously, I think we all agree that guys like Brady and Tyrel are probably not going to the league next year. If CJ doesn't think he can get significant minutes ahead of them, what good will transferring be? He chose KU - went to Yankees - went to Memphis - went to KU - went to ???? I hope he can live a long time on the money he made with the Yankees. Being fickle won't pay the bills 10 years from now.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 7 months ago

The Globetrotters are always looking for a few good men.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 7 months ago

Am I suffering from memory distortion or was there some issue with Buford's dad in the Lew Perkins situation or the ticket debacle?

Any input on this would be of interest to me at least, if I'm in any way on the right track. I know that Brady's dad was mentioned in articles. But, I'm thinking R C Buford was also mentioned for something.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 7 months ago

You are confusing Mr. Buford with Mr. Morningstar.

Ken Sedgwick 9 years, 7 months ago

For gods sake man, read Bill Self, At Home In The Phog. RC & Bill could be accused of being best friends!

WilburNether 9 years, 7 months ago

Goodbye to CJ, and good riddance. The Henry drama finally comes to an inglorious and underachieving end.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 7 months ago

Last chance at the limelight blown by the Henry's, anyone else suprised?

Scott Smetana 9 years, 7 months ago

CJ is/was a huge question mark for me. He looked confident in his limited time. Could he have been a better shooter than his brother??... Maybe.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

"Some Rumors About Where CJ (and Carl) May Go Next:"

~Jeff and Moulaye will announce CJ has some high school eligibility left and will offer Carl an assistant coaching job and CJ a guarantied 8 minutes per game at Perry-Lecompton High. They will scoff at the Perry-Lecompton offer, explore unspecified "professional opportunities in Europe" and then accept the Perry-Lecompton offer at the last minute.

~CJ will give up hoops and be cast as Terry Malloy in a thinly veiled, local remake of Elia Kazan's "On the Waterfront" called "On the Riverbank." Instead of being set in the grim world of New York City longshoremen, "On the Riverbank" will be set in the morally bankrupt world of college basketball players and parents hustling the dream of NBA money. In another variation from the original, it is also rumored that Carl Henry will play Terry Malloy's dad and the screenwriters will have him sell Terry out to advance the career of a younger brother, who's name is never specified in the script. Speculation is rampant over whether or not CJ/Terry will get to speak the immortal lines: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it." Interestingly, "On the Riverbank" will not end with Terry taking a cruel beating and inspiring his fellow players to defy the NBA lockout and go to work as scabs. In this remake, Terry will leave town, because of too much competition for PT and disappear into oblivion playing for a semipro team in Kyrgistan.

~CJ will quit basketball and after putting on 391 pounds will debut in Yokahama, Japan, as a Sumo wrestler. Alas, CJ, on the eve of his Sumo debut, will be advised by Carl to hold out for a renegotiated contract, thus causing team owner Akira Karabayashi a loss of face that in turn triggers sale of the sumo franchise to another keiretsu that does not believe in having round eyes on the team.

~Nowhere.

(Note: this is entirely fiction for entertainment purposes and it is sans malice. Though I think CJ should have stayed at KU, learned to play Self defense, and become the terrific basketball player I believed he could become at KU, CJ apparently decided he could get better faster elsewhere. I wish CJ and the Henry family all the best.)

kugrad93 9 years, 7 months ago

So for all the years and years that KU spent recruiting the Henry brothers, going back to when CJ was an underclassman in the early part of this decade, the team gets one up-and-down year out of X and virtually nothing out of CJ. I won't miss them or their dad's mouth.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

"Finish, CJ, Finish:"

I am apparently alone on this, but I think CJ leaving is a big loss to KU.

CJ has the makings of a terrific guard...at 6'4" and 205lbs the kind that is pretty rare and increasingly necessary in the age of XTReme Ball.

CJ could shoot the bottom out of the basket from trey.

He could muscle. He could handle the ball.

He could have been a great Jayhawk guard.

I hope he reconsiders his decision, asks Self to let him return to the team, and stays at KU the full four years to get a degree and get better and better.

Departing KU accomplishes as little as departing Memphis did.

He should have stayed at Memphis.

He should have stayed at KU.

I hope he changes his mind and returns to KU and that Bill Self can find it in his heart to accept him back.

Though we board rats will probably never know the truth, this situation makes one wonder if the Henry's got wind of Josh Selby's problems and decided to bargain with Bill Self for PT. Guaranty CJ lots of PT, or he's leaving. This hypothetical scenario leads to Self bowing up his neck. Crack! The already problematic relationship breaks. CJ decides he will leave, but both sides let it saute for awhile to see who backs down first. Neither does. Lose/lose scenario plays out.

Carl Henry clearly has many virtues, but, like other parents, he isn't perfect.

He's right to teach his children not to let the system use them, as he appears to teach them.

But finishing what you start is paramount in learning how to use a system to one's own advantage. Systems by definition are into self-perpetuation. Those who finish what they start have the ante the system requires for entry to its games.

CJ appears to need to finish something to achieve the self-confidence and sense of accomplishment that that act brings a person. He also needs to prove to someone that he can finish something and so be part of the system.

I wanted to leave KU as a student several times. Some persons close to me advised me to stay put and finish what I started. I have never regretted having done so and I have always been grateful to those that gave me that advice, when they could have taken the easy way themselves and told me what I wanted to hear.

Stay at KU, CJ. I am telling you, even if no one else will.

Doors will open that you did not know were there, if you stay.

Finish what you started.

You will establish the bonafides of a strong finisher.

I would advise Buford the same. I think being a walk-on is stupid in the first place, but if one is going to do it, then finish it.

Everyone who makes a ton of money (and holds onto it) that I have known has been a strong finisher.

They have been relentless.

"Be the change you wish to see."--Gandhi

Finish.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

"Comparing Sherron and CJ"

When Sherron was confronted with rejection and very nearly career disaster, he flew directly into the maw of rejection. His actions said, "I will prove you wrong. I will rise above the wrong you have done me. I will compete harder than I have ever competed before and I will find a way to make it." A door opened for Sherron. Quality persons recognize great finishers, persons who have the right stuff. Persons with the right stuff open doors for persons with the right stuff. LB opened a door for Sherron. Sherron is one step closer to his dream.

CJ just keeps closing doors behind him.

That's the difference.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 7 months ago

Wow, that is about the most impressive evaluation of this situation I have seen. That and the sumo scenario. Bravo.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate: Great posts, but I would like you to elaborate on the, "I think being a walk-on is stupid in the first place" comment.

I think just the opposite and I don't think Christian Moody or the walk-ons (That sure does look funny spelling it that way) at Tennessee wouldn't side with you. Walk-ons are a valuable asset to any team whether it's basketball or football (It happens in football more often than Basketball where walk-ons are awarded scholarships). They also open doors and create a network that most would never be able to penetrate otherwise.

I don't know, I was just curious.

Joel Hood 9 years, 7 months ago

Being a KU Basketball walk-on brings with it a fabuouls host of networking connections for later in life. I'd bet if you asked any one of the former walk-ons at KU, almost of all of them would say they wouldn't be where they are today without that experience and wouldn't trade it for anything.

KU_alum_2001 9 years, 7 months ago

Jesus, you all sound like a bunch of Mizzou fans. Why do I feel as though a year ago you were all "Welcome, X and CJ. It's great to have you!" and now it's all "Good riddance." Is it because we completely failed to achieve what we should have last year and we're willing to take it out on them? Is it because they were one-and-done's because guess what Selby will likely be? Is it because of the concerns surrounding them when they came again? I mean Selby has not YET been cleared; Chalmers father was brought in as a coach solely because of Mario; and KU has suffered its share of allegations in the past.

I'm not saying I love CJ or believe he's some critical part to our season but it's one thing to say farewell and wish him the best (or to say nothing at all) and another to bash a Jayhawk (which he will now always be) on his way out and speak as if the program would have been better off without ever meeting the Henry kids.

Show a modest amount of class here folks. It's not like he left the program in ruins or on probation like Reggie Bush. And if you were happy for the arrival of a clear one-and-done, top-recruit and his talented, minor-league playing brother last year, then don't pat yourself on the back today as some visionary who always believed they'd be nothing but trouble. They weren't... and if we had won the title like we should have, you'd all be naming your kids after these guys.

Again, don't act like a bunch of Mizzou fans.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

I know Xavier will be remembered most for unfulfilled potential but, for goodness sakes, guys and gals, WE ONLY LOST 3 FRIGGIN' GAMES!!!!! To blame him for the season's disappointment is foolish and narrow-minded.

Last year's team failed to go where it should have gone for any number of reasons with Xavier being just one of many of the guilty...including the head coach.

This year's team will labor under much less expectation thus, in my mind, making us much more dangerous.

tewind 9 years, 7 months ago

CJ, two schools that are looking for players; Washburn and/or Fort Hays State.....They would both be a good fit for you. You would get plenty of playing time and that level of basketball is where you belong.....

Alex Wishart 9 years, 7 months ago

good! i'm glad that Chase Buford is gone. i hated that guy! what an f-tard.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, Buford should have been cut the second Self found out about his DUI.

Blake Post 9 years, 7 months ago

Buford is probably a good guy, and is from a great family. Others get second chances. Too bad CJ didn't stick. Loved watching Carl play for KU and very much enjoy it when their sons ascend Mount Oread. I think CJ can play. We still have Morningstar though. Too bad there aren't a bunch of junior Wilts around. Didn't I read Danny has a son? Would be great to see if that happens. Danny was so great at KU.

Hank Cross 9 years, 7 months ago

Too bad Brady didn't leave instead of Buford.