Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Keegan

Football buzz? …Crickets

A year ago at this time, the days crawled. It seemed as if the opening kickoff for the final seasons of Todd Reesing, Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe, Darrell Stuckey and Jake Sharp never would arrive.

The preseason hype was justified with the record-breaking passing game returning for a grand finale. Reesing, Meier and Briscoe weren’t just proven stars. They played exciting football. They made you watch their every move.

Now? Sure, mild curiosity stirs about what sort of quarterback Kale Pick, the likely starter, will make. Daymond Patterson’s return to offense hints at exciting moments. Jake Laptad can get to the quarterback.

Yet, overall, particularly at a time when paying customers of Kansas University sporting events reel from the ticket scandal and so many say they want to take a breather from buying tickets, KU football feels like as tough a sell as it’s been in many years.

Think about it: Is there any player on KU’s offense that would inspire the average fan to rush to the bookstore to buy his jersey? Toben Opurum wears No. 35 and he rushed for 554 yards last season. Opurum’s name doesn’t even appear on coach Turner Gill’s most recent depth chart, released at the end of spring football. Will it appear on the next one? Who knows? Gill doesn’t seem very high on sharing depth charts.

Johnathan Wilson? He wears No. 81. (You might want to start memorizing the numbers of the players because, remember, their names won’t appear on the backs of the jerseys anymore.) Wilson does run crisp routes, a quality that impresses football coaches but generally doesn’t trigger a stampede for the turnstiles.

Patterson, No. 15, flies and is built so low to the ground it’s going to be tough to bring him down. It’s nice to see him back on offense. Maybe this is the best rack at which to stop for a jersey purchase.

No. 24 Bradley McDougald, as with Patterson, is back as a full-time offensive player after flirting with defense. He’s worth keeping an eye on but remains a few big games away from stirring mass excitement.

Laptad, No. 91, and redshirt freshman Kevin Young, No. 90, have a chance to slam quarterbacks to the ground. Chris Harris, No. 16, is worthy of a jersey purchase for long and meritorious service. Plus, he’s a link to the flashy former KU superstar Aqib Talib. Harris was the other starting cornerback in Talib’s final season.

Kansas didn’t always match up physically with its opponents, but with the pre-groin injury, gun-slinging Reesing going on his catch-me-if-you-can improvisations all over the field, it always felt as if KU had a chance. When they lost, they often did so in exciting fashion.

The spread offense, especially when run by such a gifted quarterback and ultra-skilled receivers, not only served as an equalizer of sorts for a team not as powerful up front as its foes, it was a blast to watch. Defenses figured out how to slow down the spread, so it’s back to more conventional play-calling.

Curious about what the team will look like when it takes the field against upset-seeking North Dakota State, sure. Counting the days, not quite.

Tough sell this year.

Comments

Dirk Medema 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought I read that ticket sales were again going strong.

There may not be a player whose jersey I want, but I certainly am excited to get to see this team. Team. Even tho the expectations aren't as high this year as last, I think my anticipation is, though that may just be the contrast to the disappointment over last year's dysfunction.

100 4 years, 2 months ago

In case Keegan missed it....

From the KC Star........

"So last weekend when KU coach Turner Gill nabbed oral commitments from wide receiver JaCorey Shepherd of Mesquite, Texas, formerly committed to the Hawkeyes, and Blue Valley West guard Dylan Admire, formerly committed to the Cornhuskers, it signified much more than a good recruiting day.

“That’s the single biggest day of the year,” said Jon Kirby, who covers recruiting for Rivals.com. “These guys are committed to Iowa and Nebraska, who have a foundation set in their program [both consensus top 15 teams, both expected to battle for conference championships]. Yet these players decide to switch their commitment to Kansas, who hasn’t done a lot of those things yet.”"

Sparko 4 years, 2 months ago

Word. Keegan is getting very old. Passive aggressive disinterested dude from Missouri.

truefan 4 years, 2 months ago

24 days, 16 hours until kickoff. Speak for yourself Keegan.

Rivethead 4 years, 2 months ago

Two of our games this year are not on Saturday!

I don't know if ticket sales are going as well as they were last year. I DO know I've been getting a LOT more emails from KAI on ticket specials. It's almost boardering on SPAM levels. I wonder why that is?

sevenyearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Texas Tech set a season ticket record with their new coach ...

and they had a similarly bad scandal, as well.

That Orange Bowl celebration sure seems as distant as the trips in 1969 and 1948 ... I suspect it'll be at least another twenty years until Kansas returns to a BCS game - which saddens me beyond words.

hailtoku 4 years, 2 months ago

What saddens me beyond words is to see our program take a giant leap with an Orange Bowl win and fall so hard. So close to turning the program around and we hire a questionable coach.

sevenyearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Yup.

Could've aspired to greatness ...

You know the real kicker?

Loo won't be around to have to deal with the mess he made - what a worldclass corksucker!

gardenjay 4 years, 2 months ago

I really hope we have a good season. It truly seems like coach Gill is working hard, and we should pack the stadium on opening day to welcome his good work ethic to KU. Keep up the good practices, boys - no more injuries. RC!

John Myers 4 years, 2 months ago

I swear Keegan, I don't know why I continue to click on links to your articles. You continue to be such a tremendous waste of time. I understand trying to be objective, but I'd swear sometimes that you've got to be a plant from another Big 12 school with the negativity that oozes from your pen. I yearn for the day that you no longer write for this site.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

This was an imflammitory piece to get clicks. This is what Keegan does. Usually after someone calls him out for the joke writer he is. It also might be a direct response to the mention of him talking out of both sides of his mouth, as he did here... In sharp contrast to yesterdays just short of slash up of our Team.

Frankly, What bothers me is your editors let you get away with it, probably because of the clicks, again.....

So Keegan's got a new nickname, Two- Faced Tommy.

Ian Brown 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Keegan. I began losing interest when I started reading about KU football players getting beat up by members of the basketball team. It was shortly after this that they lost their last seven games. And then I read stories about players getting beat up by their grotesquely obese head coach.

The only people who seem to care about KU football these days are the die hard fans (whom I respect, for I'm a Kansas City Royals fan, and I know how it feels to get excited about a team that is all but guaranteed to have very little success, but still can't wait to watch every ballgame) and the obnoxious student "fan base." No, the student "fan base" does not care about the outcome of the game (they take immense pride in their t-shirts which exclaim "Win or Lose, We Still Booze!"); their only concern is that they have an excuse to treat every other Saturday morning... afternoon... and evening (how many stay past halftime? are they even aware that inside that stadium a game of football is being played?) like New Years Eve.

I'm sorry. I take back what I said about the students. They are interested in the outcome of the game. They hope and pray that KU win at least six games and potentially qualify for the Toilet Bowl, so they can ask mommy and daddy for money to continue their everlasting beer bong, shotgun, keg stand, or what have you, in some far off land like Phoenix, or Las Vegas, or Dallas. Yes. People will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

I'm ready for...7:00p.m. November 2.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 2 months ago

Brown eye probably went to some small liberal arts school nobody has heard of.

David Meredith 4 years, 2 months ago

The basketball team was just as responsible for those fights... go away, enjoy Tyshawn Taylor

Rivethead 4 years, 2 months ago

If the football players got beat up by the basketball players, how come only TT ended up with an injury?

rastameta 4 years, 2 months ago

I sense that someone was picked on by a football player growing up...

amatxjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

One hell of a lot more excited about the opening of KU football season than another dumb ass Keegan article.

5DecadeHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

There's plenty of excitement about KU Football, but Keegan has his head so far up his own darkened regions that he can't see it for all the stench surrounding him.

As far as preseason hype, there is more hype about KU than most years, but you won't find any of it from Tommy Boy. He's too busy trying to play it down. It's hilarious because the media are the ones that do all the preseason hyping, and Keegan is complaining that he hasn't written any preseason hype. Not that anyone expects Tommy to write anything worthwhile, given his inability to think coherently.

It seems every time Keegan has attempted to hype a KU player it has blown up in his face anyway. Remember when Keegs used his clarvoyant powers of perception to declare that Jacques Crawford was such a special running back that Tommy Boy could just feel it whenever he watched Crawford practice?

If it wasn't for Keegan's articles, the Columbia outhouses wouldn't have paper for wiping tigger butts. One kind of stink trying to clean another.

Ryan Gerstner 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm pumped about the season. It can't get here fast enough. We have a lot of talent on offense and it's going to be fascinating to see what Gill can scrape together in year 1. I think there's going to be a resurgence in tailgating on the Hill this year with some of the investments KU has made there. KU has a great home schedule this year and we're going to be in some good games. This be like the good ol days when home fan support really matters and will help win or lose games. It's a big year.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 2 months ago

FIRE KEEGAN! He is not good for KU but more important, he is a disgrace to his employer-LJW.

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

i'd like to volunteer for keegs spot. i may not have the journalism experience (though it was a double major of mine), but i am very sick of waking up everyday to another article like this. it's bad enough, though understandable, that we get no national press, but this is ridiculous.

i wonder if they ever spend time looking at how major programs get reported on. my father gets in depth analysis with mulitple football articles a day from the publication that covers university of miami sports. they look like the freakin new york times compared to the high school rag that is kusports.

every now and then, once or twice a week, there is a really good article on here (never by keegs), other than that this site is useful only for finding news updates on our boys and the often enjoyable banter amongst it's readers.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 2 months ago

I enjoy your posts more than many of keegs articles. But obviously the LJW is trying to be like the NY Times editorials that piss most sane people off 90% of the time.

jakzhumans 4 years, 2 months ago

Remember those experiments with lab rats that were given the choice between two little levers to push? Both delivered food pellets, but one delivered a little electric shock each time it was pressed. Eventually the rats figured it out and stopped pushing that lever, turning only to the one that gave out food without a shock. But it took them a while, and there was a good deal of trial and error as the rats repeatedly shocked themselves to get the food before finally figuring out that it wasn't worth the effort. There was a better option.

Clicking on the link to this Keegan article represents my last time pressing the shock lever. I've finally figured out that it's not worth effort and that there are better options. Opinion columns are what they are, but they only serve a purpose when I care about the opinion of the person writing them. With Keegan, I just don't care what he thinks. It took me a while to figure that out, dumb lab rat that I am, but at least I finally did.

klineisanazi 4 years, 2 months ago

Well considering that last time we were sold a bill of goods by the AD with the "History Awaits" campaign, only to see the program return to laughingstock-status with a memorable losing streak bookended between fights with the basketball team and the slow death by a thousand cuts of Mangino------------I will take crickets. This year is a new beginning, with a coach that does not immediately draw snickers from fans and foes alike by merely appearing on screen. Now whether Gill can win games or not is yet to be seen. If he doesn't he is toast, because one thing KU fans won't tolerate is mediocrity in football.

Jason Spangler 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey ibrown3... Northern Iowa, Bradley, Bucknell. Need I go on?

rastameta 4 years, 2 months ago

You obviously don't know what is going on with the program because Gill brought in an incredible staff. On top of that, they are very loyal to Gill.

IMHO, he is going to build something special at KU. He will blow the doors of Mangino.

jhawkrulz 4 years, 2 months ago

This article is poorly written. It brings up things that don't even tie to the upcoming football season and presents a negative light.

You should have taken a waking dawn approach. With ticket scandal behind us, with a new coach, an inspiring crew, there is anticipation of great things to come for KU football. Tickets are being sold at a pace consistent with or better than last year. More articles have been written about KU football in the past 6 months than in the past 8 years.

Come on I got you started.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

he'll have tat article in a couple days when he convinces himself his other personna should show up for a while.... at least he could do us a favor and grow out a goatee for when he's going to completely tag our team.... Goatees are after all the sign of the bad twin.

billhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Anyone over the age of 16 should not wear an athlete's jersey anyway.

dukehester 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys.....this is just another one from Keegan. If you are expecting insight, go see virtually any other writer of any other subject. Why should he be in any way positive about the school that feeds him?!

milehighhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Congrats, you got my click but lost my respect.

What a terrible, short-sighted article. I think fans in general are pumped about Turner Gill & Co.

Jeffery Barrett 4 years, 2 months ago

I know I am. Though I don't like your moniker......or your profile pic!

OCJHAWK 4 years, 2 months ago

I am looking forward to the KU football season positively as I have for 25 years. Yes expectations are not as high some years as others, but you never really know when a team will have a "special" year. Talent as it is, heart and leadership will only be seen when the team is playing games.

Not sure whether it is that I like football in general better than basketball, or that I'm not a big fan of summer sports but I look for the start of KU fooball as my favorite.

Rock Chalk

d_prowess 4 years, 2 months ago

Lots of comments for this article... well done, Keegan.

d_prowess 4 years, 2 months ago

And as far as which jersey you can buy, the answer right now is none. If you call KUstore.com or the KS Union, they will all tell you that they have no idea when the new jerseys will be coming in and made available.

Daniel Rojas 4 years, 2 months ago

I've been getting on this site for 7+ years and could never figure out why people hated this keegan guy...now I see the light!!! What nerve to write and think such crap let alone put it out in the public for people to see and read? I know just as much if not more about KU basketball then anyone else but the difference between me and most fair weathered fans is I LOVE KU football just as much as bball....not more, not less, but the same. I take great offense to this fool saying theres crickets when it comes to the buzz! Just because theres 6 comments on a FB thread in Aug. and 60 on a bball thread doesn't mean theres not fans just like me out in the Jayhawk nation! I live in W. KS and plan on making the 12 hr round trip atleast 3-4 times this season cuz there is no atmosphere like memorial stadium and the surronding neighborhoods on gameday! We can win 9-10 games easy this year and shut all the haters up real quick in this new era of KU FB....

d_prowess 4 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I am really excited about the season too, but "We can win 9-10 games easy"... Really? That is way too optimistic for me and probably most!

Daniel Rojas 4 years, 2 months ago

who do you see besides @GA TECH and @NEB as losses?

Jeffery Barrett 4 years, 2 months ago

Ummmmm......aTm.....mu......bayyyyylllorrrr. Their qb's (passing game) vs. our untested/underachieving def backfield leaves me little confidence. We will HAVE TO outscore at least them in shootouts. My prediction is 7-5. The teams you mentioned + the ones above will be the losses. Oh yeah, I predicted at least 10 wins in '07 to several people.

rastameta 4 years, 2 months ago

We may win 9 or 10 and we may not, but to say we can't at this stage is just as uninformed as a person claiming we will be in the BCS championship game.

d_prowess 4 years, 2 months ago

True, I didn't mean to imply that we can't win that many games. I took exception in the fact that the original commenter said it would be "easy" to win that many. If we end up with 9-10 wins, that means we pulled off some decent upsets to get there, so I find it comical anyone would say we are "easily" a 9-10 win team!

bearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Keegan is a cancer to any community,its time to get rid of the cancer.If I had an employee,player or coach with that type of attitude he would'nt last long!The sad thing is he thinks he is cute with his article.(Nothing but pure cancer)

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope the LJW management is reading our reaction because this dude is not good for Lawrence or Jayhawk Sports. Recruits also read the crap that this guy writes and perhaps the result can be that his assertions become a self fulfilling prophecy! We are not saying that we want someone who is always going to paint a rosey picture, but this constant negativity is not good, with the LJW paying the ultimate price with a lower revenue stream.

jc1306 4 years, 2 months ago

Speak for yourself Keegan, I'm as excited about this season as I have been for any other one. Why? Because now we're building a team with a foundation for success. Our high flying offense was very fun to watch and I loved those players, but, it was frosting with NO cake.

At least with Gill we're going to have a foundation to build our program on. That's something I can get behind.

mdfraz 4 years, 2 months ago

Crickets, Tom? Really? First off, I think Matt Tait would disagree with you, as would a number of other writers on your staff that actually put in some work to provide the public with good info on the team and/or our opponents. But that would mean you'd have to read their articles, but I'm sure you wouldn't deign to read something from writers with much less experience than you, ESPECIALLY if they are writing objective, well thought out pieces that happen to see some positives for the team and program. I don't want a writer who ignores the negatives, but you do the exact opposite, and it's been pointed out numerous times here. You're a pathetic excuse for a sports writer because you foist YOUR reality onto your audience.

The "crickets" have been here (meaning, in the LJW) in the past, in large part due to the fact that the local newspaper didn't feel it necessary to hire someone with some passion to cover the football team for the students and loyal fans in the area (an MU grad covering KU football? Seriously?). I'm ecstatic about the effort the last few months, especially by Matt Tait, but it's drawn down by naysayers like you. If you bothered to ask KU fans if they were excited you might find that people are absolutely ready to get things going. Some like Gill, some don't; some see a bright season and future, some don't. But there is plenty of excitement among a lot of people to find out what happens. Guess we can't allow that to invade your little world, eh?

I generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but your work is trash, Tom.

mdfraz 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I forgot. I love the bald assertions that "many say they want to take a breather from buying tickets" and that football is a "tough sell" this year. Any evidence to support that? Quotes from the "many" who chose not to buy tickets because of the scandal? Season ticket sale numbers? Nah, it's much easier to make baseless claims and pass them off as truth than it is to try support your allegations with facts.

Like I said, your work is trash.

Rivethead 4 years, 2 months ago

Why would Keegan need to provide evidence?

As always, Keegan's articles are editorials.....his opinion on the state of things. You don't have to agree with them (rarely do I agree with them, although this time I don't think he's that far off - the excitement for this season seems to pale in comparison to last season) and he certainly doesn't need to provide support or evidence for his thoughts......it's the nature of an editorial (not to be confused with regular reporting which should offer facts and support).

Let's face it....the guy has been here, what two or three years now? And he came from NYC. He still thinks like a least-coaster.

stravinsky 4 years, 2 months ago

He doesn't need to provide evidence for his thoughts, but I think what irks so many is that he doesn't provide evidence for what he asserts are others' statements either. It's poor journalism to make pseudo-factual statements without any backing, which is what Keegs has done here, opinion piece or no.

• Many say Keegan sucks as a journalist
  • Many say Jaybate is actually a space alien from the future sent by Lord Xenu to preach "XTREME Muscle Ball"
  • Many say Bill Mayer is old enough that he had a triceratops as a kid
  • Many say that Columbia, Missouri is the bathtub gin capital of the midwest.

As I am writing an opinion piece, I feel entitled to make these statements without the slightest bit of backing.

mdfraz 4 years, 2 months ago

rivet, stravinsky makes my point. Yes, it's an op/ed piece, but he's passing things off as facts without any evidence. Does he have a right to do it? I suppose. Does it mean his work sucks? Absolutely. If you want people to believe what you say and/or agree with you, even in an article like this, provide some sort of proof. Otherwise you're blowing a lot of hot air (which Tom does). And if that's the case, then I, as does anyone else, have the right to tell him that his work sucks.

If he doesn't care that his articles are pure crap and completely unconvincing, and if the LJW is ok with that, well, this is what we'll get. You can say there's some merit in the amount of discussion generated, and I can't disagree 100%. However, in my (and apparently a whole bunch of others) opinion, it's sh*tty journalism. Not that I expect a lot of journalists at this point, but this is consistently a poor excuse for it. At the very least, it's totally and completely unconvincing.

rastameta 4 years, 2 months ago

I think Jon Kirby would disagree with you too!

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

There was one person who agreed, and everyone else disagreed. LJW, you think you got the right man writing editorial pieces here ????

Personally, I think a Blind Monkey and a Deaf Pig could do a better Job then this. Then again, when you form baseless opinions on wat you don't see and what you don't hear... you might as well be an animal.

skwahjayog 4 years, 2 months ago

Personally, I have never been more hyped or ready for a KU football season. I live in Michigan and can't get enough of the solid (i.e., non-Keegan) articles about the recruiting, the different positions, the schedule, the family atmosphere, etc.

I can't believe how much of a positive impact Gill & Company already have made in just a few short months. We can again be proud of our football coach and know that the team is going to give its all week in and week out.

Yes, we may lose a few games this year... but I will take those losses in a true rebuilding mode for our program than the one great (albeit with lucky schedule) season and all the negative publicity generated by Mangino. Just think how incredible last year's team would have been with Gill and his assistants as coaches--no way we lose 7 in a row to end the season loaded with that talent and experience!

What a shame that the LJW can't find a better, more optimistic writer than Keegan to cover KU sports. There have to be sports writers out there who would jump at the opportunity. Maybe a different position will open up somewhere else for Keegan? (Are you looking, Keegan--the whole KU fanbase would be happy to check for openings in other states.) We definitely would give Keegan the best possible recommendations if it meant he would be writing for a different paper! :-)

kranny 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Rivethead and although I disagree with Keegan's opinion he does have a point with casual Hawk fans. I'm very pumped about this season because even though I don't expect them to be world beaters, I think they will play hard and we will have some athleticism. A new coaching staff and a new system is good enough for me.

number1jayhawker 4 years, 2 months ago

I for one am not "put off" by the ticket scandel. I'll be there at each game rooting for the Hawks to pound the visting teams.

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

i'm actually super psyched for this season, just in a completely different way than last year. Last year everything was a known quantity and we thought we had a chance at a very good season which makes for a lot of hype and newspaper talk.

this year everything is up in the air. we don't know squat, and to me that is more exciting. Plus our players have a completely different air about them which i find refreshing and only interests me more.

net net is we could have an awful season, we could have a mediocore season, or we can defy the experts and win it all. Regardless, i'm ready for the season to start!

KGphoto 4 years, 2 months ago

Keegan bashing. What a bore.

I'm making my own jersey. And it will have the name on the back.

25 "Bourbon... rocks"

Hell, I might even make a sign.

rastameta 4 years, 2 months ago

on the other side it could say "I have bigger quads than Bourbon"...where quads could be interchanged with many different words...

TexasJayhawk87 4 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I can't add to what's been said but I can't resist comment. It's one thing to have a negative opinion but he's just flat out wrong with this lazy article. It's one thing to play the antagonist when you have a point or some facts but this is just lame. LJW, I'm done with this guy. If you must have a 'critic' on the staff find an intelligent one.

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 2 months ago

Keeg is just stirring us up, which is good. I am really looking forward to the season to see if what I think we will see is accurate. I am looking forward to a much improved running game. I am hoping to see Pick make some long td runs. I am believing we will have a better D. I am hoping that we have a much better special teams performance, taking the ball at the 30+ instead of the 20-. I am looking forward to games where we play tough and instead of just knowing whoever has the ball last wins, that our D can actually stop someone. An average performance will erase "The Skid".

Bear86 4 years, 2 months ago

Like most of you I take Keegs articles with a grain of salt. It has been more fun to read my fellow alums rebuttals. It's great to see (& entertaining to read) how much angst this article has drawn. Hopefully the LJW takes notice. Although expectations for this season may not be as high as last season it's evident that the Jayhawk nation is excited about the upcoming Kansas Football season. After the strides that were made in the last few years with the fat man some of you forget about the millions of $$$$$$'s that were spent building the Anderson Football Complex. This facility is as good as any in the nation! Once recruits see the facility and campus, KU will be bringing in higher star recruits. HCG is in his first year. How could you not be excited as a fan for a coach in his first year? Rock Chalk & F-Texas !

rolo2383 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe I read the whole article.

trout984bum 4 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone like Keegan or think he deserves to be a part of Lawrence?...CRICKETS!!!

troutsee 4 years, 2 months ago

One would expect local writers would try to hype enthsiasm for the FB team and not degrade the team and the team's fan support. I am very disappointed in Keegan and in the pessimistic posters. I think we will be better than anticipated, and,, by golly we just might win 9 or 10 games. I'll be at every game, including Southern Miss

sevenyearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

That's why the athletic department has promotional people ... jeez, who'd you fark to get on this site?

newjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

It seems as if whoever this guy is , definitely got all of your attention! Crickets.... I don't know about. I am a Texas guy ,with a die hard love for the Jayhawk football team. What I say___ is that there are tons of Jayhawk fans that seem to blog non-stop! But as far as (professional) coverage about Jayhawk football goes, it seems the Jayhawk faithful are more enthusiatic than the Kansas media is!

JBurtin 4 years, 2 months ago

Didn't bother to count, but I would wager that in terms of the general nature of the comments the tally is somewhere around 150 to 4 in favor of "excited about the season".

No reason to even be angry about it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and the overwhelming reaction from the fans speaks for itself.

ebizzle 4 years, 2 months ago

Exactly...the average fan does not post comments on kusports.com. So the comment pool is basically comprised of blindly loyal KU homers.

The point wasn't "no one is excited"

We were ranked in the top 20 last year before the season, preseason honors all around, picked to battle for the north and KU had all our playmakers coming back. Of course we were more excited last year! How is this a negative article? Give the Keegs a break. Promotional articles every day = boring.

Greg Ledom 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow Keegan, what a friggin downer of an article. Thank goodness your not in marketing and sales. At this point I'm not sure why your on staff at the LJW. Need something to get excited about? How about a new coach with his integrity completely intact. A new offense that won't abandon the pass or the shotgun. A more balanced attack will give the hawks a better chance to win. You remember the MU game last year. We've got receivers that can replace what we had. Omigie is the next Brisco. I hear from reliable sources that Bourbon is a tremendous player and will see the field. Go home Keegan and shut it.

COjayrocks 4 years, 2 months ago

Keegan must be looking for KU football banter at Harpo's. Terrible assumptions in this article from top to bottom.

I'm 100% sure that I am as excited for Jayhawk football under Gill and Co as I've ever been...

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm excited about KU football this year, too. It will be awesome to see KU finish in last place again. It will be fun to listen to the announcers try to guess which player is who since they took the names off and most of KU's talent is gone.

What's the over-under for number of interceptions Pick will throw? I'm guessing 18. ISU, KSU, BU, CU will all beat KU. Other Big 12 teams will destroy the birds. Better play hard the first game, cause that's the only chance KU has all year.

When does basketball start? Those guys probably need some punching bags anyway.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 2 months ago

at least we dont hold the record for most losses in d1 football. must be exciting when the ku basketball team comes to manhattan and you get national coverage for once.

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

Ed- Put you brain where your head is!

Way to use your awesome education. Drank yourself to oblivion during last season's awesome success?

Greg Ledom 4 years, 2 months ago

CEB, enjoy the w Kansas gave you last year. Hanging out on the KU boards I see. You must be a closet Jayhawk. Do us all a favor and stay there. Snyder and the kitties will go down in Lawrence this year, basketball (a given) as well, and own the state once again (what's new). Meanwhile, get back to your sheep, there nervous......

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

stravinsky 4 years, 2 months ago

KSU on the other hand has been so successful they have one winning season and no bowl wins in the last six years.

You guys are real world beaters.

actorman 4 years, 2 months ago

Bitch, bitch, bitch and bitch some more. Bitch about the new "questionable" coach -- who by the way hasn't coached a single, god-da**** game at KU yet. Bitch about Keegan, who for the most part writes decent columns. Bitch about this, bitch about that. Man, what would you pathetic losers have to complain about if you didn't have this site to feed all your negativity. I agree with those that question why they click on Keegan's columns. Because of Keegan? No. Because of all the pathetic whiners? A resounding YES!

hailtoku 4 years, 2 months ago

Name one thing KU football has to boast about right now?

7 game losing streak- Brawl with the basketball team- No quarterback- No running back- no depth- lack of returning starters- fired Mark Mangino (Orange Bowl winner) and replaced with 20-30 MAC coach- Ticket scandal- and arguably the worst stadium in the Big 12

We almost figured it out in 2007 and then tumbled... its a damn shame.