Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Defensive end Travis Stephens dismissed from KU football team

KU coach Turner Gill cites academic issues

Though excitement and energy ran rampant during the first day of fall practices Wednesday, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill announced some negative news concerning the Jayhawks.

Defensive end Travis Stephens, a junior from Houston, has been suspended from the team because of academic reasons.

After transfering from Blinn Junior College, Stephens, 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, red-shirted in 2009. He was expected to compete for playing time on KU’s thin defensive line this season.

Comments

stravinsky 8 years ago

Question: could someone clarify, the headline is "dismissed from team" while the text says "suspended from team," which sort of insinuates not being kicked off permanently. Is this a sort of "get your grades up and you can stay" thing, or is he done?

Christopher Hauser 8 years ago

Dismissed or suspended, hopefully just suspended?

Matt Tait 8 years ago

It's dismissed. Sorry. Doesn't sound like he'll be back.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years ago

more PT for Kevin Young it appears. it looks like next year, we need to be recruiting d-line like we're doing o-line this year....tee he.

Dirk Medema 8 years ago

It would seem that part of the OL recruiting also has to do with at least a couple players leaving the team since last year. The DL is falling into that category as well. Lots of opps.

Mark Lindrud 8 years ago

We have Kevin Young and Quincy Woods along with Laptad and I hear both are playing well. It does put us at a slight depth disadvantage this year. Since we lose Laptad and Woods next year DE needs to be a priority for recruiting now. It is possible to switch a DT who is quick to DE this year, since we have a lot of depth at the DT position. Either way we still need help.

Christopher Hauser 8 years ago

Here are the other guys that are listed at the DE position: Pat Lewandowski DE 6-6 248 Fr., Tyrone Sellers, Jr. DE 6-3 230 Fr. (RS), D.J. Marshall DE 6-3 235 So., Keba Agostinho DE 6-3 253 Fr.

Mark Lindrud 8 years ago

thanks for mentioning the other four, but so far they haven't done anything so we need them to step up. Only reason I didn't mention any of them is because they have yet to do anything worth mentioning. I still say we need at least 1 big name DE this year. I do hope one of them surprises us this year and helps out with depth.

Clarence Haynes 8 years ago

baldjedi....they are freshmen and sophomores!

Mark Lindrud 8 years ago

My point is they need to step up now and they have the opportunity to do so. Kevin Young is a freshman too and he is already making a name of himself so now one of the others needs to do the same.

If you read what I said I did say I hope one of them steps up because none of them has done anything worth mentioning during the off season so far. Maybe now one of them will start to shine with this opportunity.

Andy Tweedy 8 years ago

D.J. Marshall is the kid who had cancer, so I'm guessing he won't contribute this year. As for me, I always tell my friends here in Nebraska that I am THAT KU fan who cares more about the football team than the basketball team. I LOVE KU FOOTBALL, and I love the Gill hire! But am I the only one whose noticed that Coach can't get two sentences out without uttering "from that standpoint?" I know that means nothing in regards to success, etc, but I must say it drives me crazy!!!

JBurtin 8 years ago

Lol,

After listening to a couple of his first speeches I thought that the LJW definitely needed to start a weekly column named "From that Standpoint".

waywardJay 8 years ago

This is a great oppurtnuity for some jayhawk whether they be a big linebacker or a smallish Tackle to fill a hole. From that stand point, I have to say Another year of the bull (onyegbule) being back would have been nice.

DevilHawk 8 years ago

Just what we need: another hole to fill. Then again, we are on top of the list for Maurice Couch - a juco defensive tackle with offers from USC, Tennessee, and Mississippi, among others. http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-Maurice-Couch-103110

As for not recruiting junior college players, I suggest looking at Ryan Torain (also a Kansas product). He went to the JuCo national championship as a freshman, and then ran for over 1,000 yards as a junior after transferring to ASU. He was considered a probable Heisman finalist (if not the winner) as a senior until an injury ended his season (and ASU's). He is now with the Redskins.

That's not what normally happens and bringing guys in directly from high school tends to be much better - but sometimes it works.

Also, it seems that we're high on the list of O-tackle Carter Wall from Texas - along with Colorado State, SMU, and Mizzou. Offers from other BCS schools include: ASU, Baylor, Mississippi State, Utah, UVA. http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-Carter-Wall-99661

JayhawkRock 8 years ago

Blinn JC? Isnt that where Vernon Brooks went? Hope hes not still rolling with that dude...

yovoy 8 years ago

D. Zlatnik used to play D-end. Maybe he can stop the gap.

Rick Arnoldy 8 years ago

Lots of good players start out at junior colleges because they weren't ready for the big time physically, not because they couldn't cut the academics. There's nothing wrong with recruiting jc players to fill the occasional need.

OCJHAWK 8 years ago

A few JC's have late growth spurts. But most quality D1 type talent have some baggage that kept them from a team as a Frosh. Roll the dice on a couple but many are problems as we have seen for the most part.

I do think that Coach Gill may have a faster trigger on problem players. Therefore the current teams culture might keep players making better off field decisions.(I say hopefully)

muphaus 8 years ago

This is going to be a difficult year but i think bowl eligibility is realistic.