Monday, August 2, 2010

KU’s Gill rallies, readies for year

First-year football coach ‘connects’ at Topeka gathering

Kansas head coach Turner Gill watches his players warm up on the practice fields on March 31.

— New Kansas University football coach Turner Gill met with Jayhawk fans Sunday in advance of today’s unofficial start of the 2010 season.

Gill attended a rally at the Kansas Historical Society and Museum. He has scheduled the first meeting of his staff today.

Players report Tuesday, with the first official practice Wednesday.

“The first time around is giving the people an opportunity to meet me,” Gill said. “Hopefully I’ll meet them again as years come by for a long, long, long time.

“I just want to connect with people and let them know I’m open, thanking them for all the support they’ve done in the past and hope they continue their support in the present and a long time in the future.”

Staff members, including former KU great Gale Sayers, also were on hand for the rally in Topeka.

Gill repeated the thoughts of last week’s conference media days in Irving, Texas, that he’s raring to go in his first season at KU. He was head coach at Buffalo the last four years.

“Coaching is coaching, but (with) the media and you come to a place in the Big 12 Conference, I think it’s just a lot more people are watching what you do,” Gill said. “Football is football no matter where you are at.”

Sunday’s outing was part of the Jayhawk Summer Tour, a collaboration between Kansas Athletics and the KU Alumni Association.

Remaining stops: Aug. 20, Corinth Square, 83rd Street and Mission Road, Prairie Village; and Sept. 23, Winfield Country Club.

T.O. bad news for Briscoe?

Former KU receiver Dezmon Briscoe, a sixth-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in April, saw the Bengals’ wide-receiving corps become a little more crowded last week, when the club announced that it had signed former All-Pro wideout Terrell Owens to a one-year deal.

Owens, who has been part superstar part problem child for San Francisco, Philadelphia, Dallas and Buffalo during his 15-year NFL career, joins the Bengals in the twilight of his career but, no doubt, with the intention of making an impact.

That may make it difficult for Briscoe, who recently signed a four-year deal worth $1.89 million, to make the team’s opening-day roster.

Also on the Bengals depth chart at the position are: vibrant showman Chad Ochocinco, former 1,000-yard receiver Antonio Bryant and third-year pro and program guy Andre Caldwell, along with fellow 2010 draft pick, Jordan Shipley, who was taken out of Texas in the third round. Caldwell and Shipley are expected to compete for the team’s third receiver slot.

Comments

KGphoto 8 years, 11 months ago

T.O. hasn't been an impact in 4-5 years. He can't catch. He can't run. He can't play. He's a dropped pass waiting to happen, and Briscoe is gonna blow his doors off.

God knows why Cinci keeps doing this charity thing, but if I were Carson Palmer I'd get the hell away from Marvin Lewis. He's a .500 coach with a terrible penchant for head cases, and for the life of me I can't figure out why he's not back coaching linebackers in Pittsburgh.

Cinci is gonna crash and burn, no matter what the receivers do.

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 11 months ago

Being near Cincinnati, I hope this (crash & burn) never happens! I have no doubt in my mind that Briscoe has nothing to worry about, especially looking at what T.O. has done in the last few years. He can learn from highly experienced folks and get better.

Briscoe (and Anthony Collins) I will be rooting for you!

Carter Patterson 8 years, 11 months ago

That's a heck of a contract to sign somebody with who is getting squeezed out. I presume he can hang out on the practice squad until TO gets dropped.

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 11 months ago

TO is a shell of his former self but will be on the team because it would look bad to cut him. Ocho is aging but is still productive. Shipley will make the team based on potential.

Caldwell has been pretty run-of-the-mill so far. Bryant is still nursing his knee. Briscoe has a good chance to hang on even on the practice squad.

And don’t blame Marvin Lewis for bringing in the head cases. That’s 100% on a meddling owner.

KGphoto 8 years, 11 months ago

Okay. I'll just blame him for being a lame coach. But I will be rooting for them anyway, with Briscoe and Collins.

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 11 months ago

Agreed. Always a KU alumni supporter but Cincy is a lot more fun when the Bengals are winning.

Jaminrawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, maybe if the Bengals try to sneak Briscoe on their practice squad the Chiefs can nab him ala the Colts with Ryan Lilja a few years ago. If any team needs receivers it's KC and he would become a fan favorite from the jump.

Larry Smith 8 years, 11 months ago

You may not like T.O., But to say he has not been productive recently is wrong. Before his year in the football purgatoy that is Buffalo, he was one of the most productive recievers in the league. In the three years prior to Buffalo, he caught 38 TD's (ranking in the top 5 each season). I believe that was more than any other reciever in the NFL during that time span. He also had more than 1,000 recieving in each of those seasons. Love him or hate him, I would say that is quite productive,

Who knows what he will do in Cincinnatti, but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

KGphoto 8 years, 11 months ago

He also drops about 10 passes a year and is a locker room cancer.

Hey, the guy is physically gifted, and he's posted some real nice numbers, but he'll never win anything. The countdown to a Carson, T.O., Ocho debacle has begun.

He's born to lose. And if I had to bet, I would bet he gets injured this year. So I'm counting him out.

Bring in D.B. baby!

prairie_dog 8 years, 11 months ago

Little Jordan Shipley over big and fast Briscoe.

Please....

rastameta 8 years, 10 months ago

Briscoe drops a lot of passes too. However, the problem with Briscoe is his work ethic...if he doesn't make the team it is because he didn't put in the extra work needed to do so.