Originally published April 30, 2010 at 05:58p.m., updated May 1, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Oregon prep standout Terrence Jones picks Washington

Kansas recruit Terrence Jones dishes a pass during the second half of the Jordan Brand Classic, Saturday, April 17, 2010 at Madison Square Garden.

Terrence Jones, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound senior forward from Jefferson High in Portland, Ore., announced plans to play basketball at the University of Washington on Friday in a ceremony at his high school.

KU recruit chooses Washington

Terrence Jones chose to play basketball at Washington University today.

Jones, who is ranked No. 13 nationally by Rivals.com, chose the Huskies over Kansas University, Kentucky, Oklahoma, UCLA and Oregon. His mom, Linda, told the Seattle Times that Kentucky was the runner-up choice.

“I wanted to be close to home,” said Jones, who averaged 32 points, 13 rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and three steals for Jefferson (26-3) last season.

“Like I’ve been saying since eighth grade, I wanted to play with Terrence Ross (Jefferson teammate who also chose Washington Friday). And coach (Lorenzo) Romar is like a father figure to me.”

The Seattle Times indicated Jones did not sign a letter of intent and that the player spoke to Kentucky coach John Calipari 15 minutes after the news conference.

Jones insisted he didn’t know which school he would select until he grabbed a Washington hat off a table in front of him at the news conference in his high school gym. He reached for the KU hat before shifting and picking up the UW hat instead.

Jones, who is a good buddy of recent KU signee Josh Selby, visited KU's campus Sunday through Tuesday. He also visited Oklahoma (Oct. 10, 2009), Washington (Oct. 17), Kentucky (Oct. 28) and UCLA (Nov. 6).

“Coach (BIll) Self is a great coach and Kansas a wonderful program,” Jones said. “Coach Self has developed players ever since he’s been there.”

Comments

Andy Hess 9 years, 6 months ago

oh well. at least he didn't pick UK! lol @ UK.

XUBradUK 9 years, 6 months ago

Yeah....because picking Washington does wonders for Kansas' 2010 recruiting?! lol.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

He did say that! We think it's awesome he didn't pick UK if it wasn't us. I hate Calipari that much. You see, KU has the luxury of not NEEDING this guy because we-are-stacked. KU will continue to be one of the deepest teams in the league. So no, losing out on Jones doesn't do anything for the juggernaut that is Kansas basketball. Again, at least he didn't pick UK! lol @ UK. =)

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

Its not like we are starting from scratch for the second year in a row like UK. I dont know that it is a good thing to have the best recruiting class every year unless you win a National Championship every year. There is something to say about 3 or 4 star that stays and provides leadership and develops into a complete player and a responsible citizen.

Andy Hess 9 years, 6 months ago

lol @ UK's pathetically depleted roster and their future NCAA sanctions.

Hawkamania 9 years, 6 months ago

Why did he have to fake us out like that? I was almost positive he was gonna grab that Kansas hat until he reversed and headed straight to that UW hat...lol

KGphoto 9 years, 6 months ago

He gets Texas Tech at home, and TAM in Texas next year during the Big 12/Pac 10 hardwood series. I bet he goes 1-1, losing at TAM.

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

Got the sense that Momma was the driver on this bus.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

Hell yes! When he say down his momma said "loud and clear." LOL You better talk right boy!

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

sat* (I wish I could edit/delete posts! MAKE IT HAPPEN.)

thmdmph 9 years, 6 months ago

It's too bad mama didn't even bother with trying to figure out what's best for her son and selfishly asked her son stay close to home when if you ask anybody in the country, the majority will agree Coach Self will do him a world more good than Coach Romar. Additionally, he'd get so much more exposure 1. Get's a real shot at conference and national championships 2. And gets to play in one of the cradles of basketball 3.

Oh well. Good luck, you're still a stud.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 6 months ago

Oh I agree what a selfish mom. She wants her son to stay close to home so much she didn't even bother to figure out what's best for him.

Do you even think about what you write?

CP 9 years, 6 months ago

Any time Kansas has jumped back in on someone at the 11th hour it never works (even when they pick KU) ... case in point, Alex Galindo and C.J. Giles ... Kansas is better off without him.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Julian Wright was 11:45 decision and did it without a visit. I would say that worked out okay.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 6 months ago

What about Brandon Rush who didn't decide to come to KU until a month before practive started?

CP 9 years, 6 months ago

Julian Wright signed early ... KU was in touch with him throughout the summer.

Brandon Rush did indeed commit late, but I don't think the program ever quit communicating with him.

Jones actually dropped Kansas from his list of schools ... in that regard, even though he didn't actually sign with another school, his case is closer to Galindo and Giles in my book.

Lone_salina_kufan 9 years, 6 months ago

Darrell Arthur was last minute as well. He contributed to championship.

CP 9 years, 6 months ago

Again, Arthur's decision was last minute (and in his case he was literally last minute), but he never actually dropped Kansas from his list of schools ... there was communication throughout the process.

Ryan Richey 9 years, 6 months ago

It always nice to add more talent but I'm comfortable/happy with the Morris twins and Robinson.

studio 9 years, 6 months ago

So where does that put our last scholarship? I'd like to see a Big D to keep Markief off the foul bench.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

Julian Washburn who is an excellent Power Forward.

Daploobis 9 years, 6 months ago

Thought it was 50/50 we got him over Washington. Momma called the shot on this one. This isn't horriable news and I'm sure Little and Relaford are breathing alittle easier right now. What now? We have 1 available scholarship left. Who is the target or is there one? RCJH!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

I bet Bill Self saves it for next year for the Class of 2011. He said he wasn't going to waste it on just any incoming player. We shall see.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

Releford who? His brother chose Trevor committed to Alabama and Travis has a scholarship? What do you mean by Releford? Julian Washburn is the last player in the top 150 on KUs list that is still undecided.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

I was correcting the spelling of his last name.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

Sorry. Remove "chose" from my post as well.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

I completely missed the "Fake". The Live Stream locked up right when he was going to make his decision on my computer.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I had to close and reopen my browser. That made me mad!!

Mulder07 9 years, 6 months ago

Sounded like he had a lot of off court troubles with all of his comments to his posse. He also made comments about not being a good student. We may be lucky he passed on KU. Good luck to him.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

Oh shush. X Files stinks too. Wait no it wasn't...

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

didn't*

(See? KU Sports please let us EDIT posts or even REMOVE them!!)

Eric Williams 9 years, 6 months ago

or everyone could do a little thing called PROOFREAD. You're post doesn't have to get sent in by a deadline. Take some time to make sure you spelled stuff right, then click post.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

I loved how he completely flubbed up the Oregon and UCLA Thank You's. He mentioned Ernie Kent and others and not one mention of Dana Altman. I knew there was no way he was going to choose Oregon. Too many unknown variables. As for the UCLA, he didn't really know the UCLA hat was even up there it seemed. I would rather have a "Fake Grab" then be completely forgotten about. It means KU was in the back of his mind. That's actually an honor.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

I loved how his mom had to remind him to thank Calipari! He was totally going to blow right by the sleaze!

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

That was bar none the best part of his comments. You could tell that he was about go on without even mentioning Calipari.

It's just unfortunate that I need to cheer against him now. Mind you, that's not because he didn't pick KU, but because I'm an alum of a different Pac-10 school.

MrPilot 9 years, 6 months ago

Annnnd he slides into NCAA mediocrity. Washington isn't going anywhere near the Final Four.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Washington is going to be pretty damn good next season. They lose Quincy Pondexter, but TJ has a real opportunity to step into his shoes. The Huskies will be favored to win the league next year. Don't be fooled, the league will be much better next year.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

I would say any team in the PAC-10 that adds two players like the Terrence duo would contend for the league title. I agree the league will be better, but it wont take much for Washington to dominate the conference.

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

The Pac-10 should be pretty open again next year. UW is probably the favorite to win the conference - especially with both Jones and Ross - but they should have good competition from Arizona, ASU, and possibly UCLA because Howland tends to be amazing at coaching up players.

resultsinMarch 9 years, 6 months ago

WE have no room to be talking about the final 4.

Scott Smetana 9 years, 6 months ago

The Pac 10 is horrible, and Washington will be lucky to make the NCAA tourney. Not sure what he's thinking. Winning is not on his mind.

jayhawkbenny27 9 years, 6 months ago

another left coast fake out... someone tell terrence its been done before (see baron davis). clearly he doesnt have "it" or else he would want to challenge himself in a tough conference. its a cake walk in the pac-11 compared to the big 12... TJ will fail in his first NBA season because no one will challenge him next year. oh well we still have the new #1 player and T Rele will be alot better than people think. Beak Em

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree. We never have good luck with players that use baseball caps to announce their college intentions. Of course those players usually go onto lackluster NBA careers and self destruct. I wish the best to Jones though. Lets hope Julian Washburn considers KU.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

We still have Julian Washburn considering KU right? He is a great player and would fill the same void (what little there is) Jones would have filled. Julian would be a better investment though because he would like stay longer.

Rick Willard 9 years, 6 months ago

No problem...we'll be fine. Whether we sign any one else or not, we'll have an awfully strong rotation of 8-9 guys that can absolutely bring it, and some good fill-ins at the end of the bench, too. If we add someone else...fine. If not, this team is pretty loaded. 2010-11 looks like another good shot at the Big 12 Title and a team that can really contend in the NCAA's. RCJH!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

This is my gut, but I think Self will save the scholarship for next year unless something in recruiting dramatically happens over the summer.

I really wanted TJ because I thought we would "Impact" in some way right away, but I'm not overly upset. He chose Washington and Romar is a terrific coach that runs a great offense and style for guards. TJ coming to KU would have been something for KU fans to simply pound their chest at in the recruiting war, but it's no big deal. TJ will be successful at Washington and Little, Releford, and Marcus will be great here at Kansas. Afterall, Kansas does have the #1 recruit in the nation in Josh Selby.

By the way LJW, I would like to get a quote from Josh Selby in all this TJ stuff.

kufanman88 9 years, 6 months ago

I believe Julian Washburn is still up unless he has picked a school already?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

You know more about this kid than I do? Give me the scoop? What's he ranked? What position? Where's he from?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Looks like he is ranked #128 rivals! You know, I've seen stranger things. He may be the perfect kid. The reason I say that is because that Middleton kid for Texas A&M was beast for them as freshman this past year. He was ranked in 130's last year. Stranger things have happened. He would be a good kid possibly for the pipeline who understands that he will need to learn. Who knows? Maybe he turns into another Middleton.

Brad Avery 9 years, 6 months ago

He did the Baron Davis hat trick to KU. Hats are never good for the Jayhawks.

RockChalk26 9 years, 6 months ago

Adios Terrence. Have fun at a school stuck in the Pac-10. My prediction, you're team struggles to stay above .500. You had a great opportunity to play at one of the most respected schools in the country and you chose Washington. I have a feeling this will come back to haunt you.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

I completely disagree! UDub went to the Sweet 16 and loses a scrub and Quincy Pondexter. Washington will be just fine. Smart deicison for the Terrence's.

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

Washington also added a 7ft juco player...even before today's events, they were likely going to be among the leaders in next year's Pac 10...and they had a good run in the season just finished.

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

UW is probably the favorite to win the Pac-10 - I wouldn't worry too much about Jones.

David Howell 9 years, 6 months ago

Like many said, NEVER NEVER again ....... Watching the video with CRAP audio only to see him grab an ugly Washington hat !

Personally after the fact I am sort of glad he didn't pick us. Let him hang with loser Ross. He mentioned people helping him through his troubled times in the classroom and off the court. Didn't sound like someone we'd want anyway.

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

"But, we still need another BIG guy on our squad. I have yet to trust in what Withey really brings to the court, and we all know thast the Morris twins and TRob will be hard pressed to play big minutes and stay out of foul trouble."

That's.. just.. bush league!

David Howell 9 years, 6 months ago

JChief40, I tell it like it is .............

You wait till next year. I am not worried about the point and # 2, but beyond that it had better be a good offseason for the team.

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm not concerned about our bigs. It just means that we need to bring in a few bigs in the 2011 class - but Lawrence just hosted the Jayhawk Invitational and we have a lot of scholarships opening up after next year and everyone knows it.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 6 months ago

Withey will be fine. Jayhawks roster looks real good right now with returning players and experience. They will be underrated to start the year and then sneak up in the rankings. They may never be ranked number one, but as everyone knows its never about who is ranked number one in the regular season...

thmdmph 9 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. I actually preferred KU to be underrated. Ku has always played much better underrated than when expecting to win it all. Look at last year. This year is going to be a lot different because there are some many kids who are out to prove themselves. Last year, the studs on the team already knew where they're going to be drafted and how many millions they're going to be pocketing, as a result - lack luster performances.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

And the "Sweat" is slowly starting to bead up on uk fans foreheads after Leslie and Jones decided to go elsewhere. I though Calipari go all the recruits. Let's take a look at the list of all the "Locks" apparently going to uk.

Selby-KU

Jones-U Dub

Ross-U Dub

Leslie-NC State

Knight-Still not official because he hasn't signed LOI-Only Aid Agreement-Very smart on his part.

Can you say, "Foot in Mouth?"

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

Yep we got the cream of the crop. Showtime Selby!

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

UK did sign the #3 ranked player Enes Kanter who is either a 7ft guy from Turkey or is a 7ft turkey...time will tell.

Funny thing is, T Jones would've been well-served by the DDMO at UK...but forgetting the head coach's name suggests he didn't think too much about it.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

pretty sure they were trying to get Joseph too who ended up at Texas!

jchief40 9 years, 6 months ago

It's funny where people love the guy until they don't pick their school and then it's "ADIOS idiot beat it I hate you leave me alone who needs you" etc etc. lol

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

Well, the fanbase was pretty civil as I recall when Harrison Barnes committed to UNC...in the present case, as others have noted, there's still the memory of Baron Davis pulling the hat stunt, so to have Jones do it too, is not only unnecessarily mean-spirited on Jones part but unoriginal too...and therefore deserving of fanbase scorn.

ldjayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I said all the way he was gonna pick UW but still wasted my 28 minutes watching that stupid press con!

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 6 months ago

It was worth watching just to see the UK hat never move!!

ldjayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Next year's line up prediction (official after TJ not coming):

PG: Selby SG: TT SF: Little PF and C: Morris twins

Bench:

PG: EJ SG: Morningstar and Reed SF: Releford PF: T-Rob C: Jeff

Others: C.J and Woolridge

That's deep for a Final Four guys. I promise.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 6 months ago

I still think kieff comes off the bench and T-rob starts. T-rob will become a lot better at decision making in his sophmore year and he is the best big athlete on the roster hands down.

T-rob and Withey have the potential to be SPECIAL...

chalmers2wright 9 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't bet against Releford starting.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 6 months ago

Showtime Selby is the absolute real deal....can't wait for Late Night

yates33333 9 years, 6 months ago

You have to wonder why these young men do things like that. He isn't the first or wont be the last. This started about 10 years ago. Jason Kidd is the first I remember being on TV with the hats. TV makes all this happen, and it has to be disgusting for a lot of teams and fans. Civility, TV ain't your name.

I hope Self can find a real sleeper out there and make us all happy. How about another Darnell Jackson.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Poster above had it right with the hats. All the curved bills were no chance. The flat daddies were the real deal.

These kids' handlers suck. The hand trick is stupid, and the hats are stupid, too. They might better themselves by learning that intelligence along with ability will earn the real money. Too many young people are told go get the money. Go get the money. Get it now. They do not realize that the real money comes with the second and third contracts. Endorsements are rarely given to unproven talent (See: Lebron & Tiger) Vitale had it almost correct regarding a panel to pick the "real" NBA stock out of high school. They should have a high school lottery of 5-8 kids (five being "more better") and they are selected by the teams' GM's with the five best regular season records. Everyone would be better served in terms of development to spend a couple years in school.

To be honest, I am not too concerned with Jones going elsewhere. I think that we have the best 6'8 fella in the country coming back.

Rock Chalk

P.S. I did not try to be funny in this post so I will just use the word tampon here for childish reasons...

Tallhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I hate to say it folks, but Brady Morningstar will probably be a starter, just get yourself ready for that. Go Hawks !!!

chalmers2wright 9 years, 6 months ago

I think Tyrel would start before Brady would. What position do you see Brady starting at? The 3??

Scott Smetana 9 years, 6 months ago

On paper, TT and Xavier were better than Brady and Reed. In reality, they were better in crunchtime. They'll be extremely confident next year.

eastTXjayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

tampon worked for me, snotted out my nose

dynamitehawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Oh and sorry to add to my point above about Vitale being right... The panel of current players (whom vitale thinks should choose the worthy ones...that is wrong) they should instead mentor the younger, high school lottery kids.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 6 months ago

To clarify: Vitale suggested the top players choose the "real talent", I propose that the top players mentor the "real talent".

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

With their football team being terrible of late, they actually developed a basketball team over the past few years.

They were ranked preseason last year. They dropped out of the rankings while everyone in the Pac-10 lost during the non-conference. They then became the team they were expected to be in the post-season when they won the Pac-10 tournament for the auto-bid and then made the Sweet 16 as an 11-seed.

Andrew Moore 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm pretty mad about the hat fake. I think it was a little disrespectful. I'll go ahead and say that we were a strongly considered 2nd. I don't think we needed him, and i know UK did!

Something has to be said about a kid representing the west coast, I mean, that poor coast needs all the help it can get.

I can't think any team out there except Washington and Arizona that should improve next season, and thats not saying much for Zona!

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Actually, ASU should improve significantly with the addition of Keala King and the development of Lockett, Pateev, Rudd, and Rohde.

Also, I can't see UCLA doing anything but getting better with another off-season.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

My personal wish is that we would all be more classy than UK fans. You know? UK misses out on a guy, and then they're all like "we didn't want him anyway. He seemed like a headcase. Have fun in the NIT, watching us in the Final Four!" That's all I read when Leslie chose NC State over UK. We all wished he would have chosen KU. I did. I'm not devastated by it, because I do think we'll still be just as good, but it would have been a recruiting victory. And more importantly, it would have been another recruiting victory over UK. That being said, I'm most happy he didn't end up at UK, or more specifically that he didn't end up playing for coach Cal. He's horrible for college basketball.

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

Next.

Terrence coulda been a contenda, but he chose a fathah figure in Bo Pete, Now he's just gonna be another skinny 4 at 361 days of rain university.

Now is when Self usually pulls another rabbit out of his hat.

Anyone left?

The big juco footer has not been talked about for some time now.

I would like to see him get the ride. It is foolish to sit on scholies, when players can be shunted to other Okie Baller Mafia programs, whenever another scholie is needed.

Besides, next year Self will see a load of departures, maybe both Morrises. He needs big man insurance and not a soft, fat freshman baby big, like Demarcus Cousins, pretending to be a thug in XTreme Madness.

Bring the footer in, mass him up, and have him ready to push guys into the cheap seats two seasons from now.

The team would be so much stronger with a footer getting a year of working out with the team and Hudy-izing the following season.

What about juco players? Any juco 3s with a gun that Self could be looking at?

I doubt the fat lady has vocalized yet.

hawksince51 9 years, 6 months ago

So my Seattle friend's rumor was the correct one. Agree with everyone else that I'm happy he did not go to UK. Actually, I am happy to see us go with the players we now have for next year. I have high expectations for Little. rock chalk

NotWiller 9 years, 6 months ago

Well, whattayagonnado? I agree w/ Shaw that UW is going to be pretty good next year, so it's not a bad place for a good player to be. And besides, it's good when a youngster can just come out and say it when it feels better to stay in the neighborhood. After all, the last thing anyone needs is another Micah Dash scenario.....

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

And the Calipari "Legend" lives on! How Sleazy is that?

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, kushaw, for this "breaking news." The story was also out today that Knight didn't sign a LOI either.

...and "Jones' mother said if he hadn't chosen Washington, he was going to pick Kentucky" ...well, thanks for solving that mystery.

The beverage we make of today's basket of lemons is (I guess), we're not part of this particular (possibly unfolding) soap opera.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

wow! what a completely classless, low-life loser! NBA, please, PLEASE do the college basketball world a favor and take this scum off of our hands.

KU08 9 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the link, kushaw. The strange thing about Calipari is that I really love to hate him. I'm not sure what I'll do if he goes to the NBA.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I also heard about the Brandon Knight situation. Kind of interesting actually! Very very smart on Brandon Knight's part. However, with all the speculation about the reasons behind Knight not signing his LOI kind of puts those to rest as this story with Terrence Jones breaks. Just more Drama!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Here is the information on Brandon Knight. uk fans are speculating all over the place. Also, good information on Ben McLemore here as well.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

Great News about Ben McLemore though! Maybe McLemore commits early to the Jayhawks?

Ron_Kellogg 9 years, 6 months ago

I was upset, but just watched a couple episodes of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." Now I have the courage to face the darkness that is this undeniable recruiting outage.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

you may want to click on a few of the links just a few posts up

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey, does anybody know what was up with that "go to billself.com friday" message? Obviously it wasn't to see anything about Jones. If it was in regards to the Jayhawk Invitational, I'm not seeing anything on there.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 6 months ago

That's funny! I just checked that as well! I didn't see anything either.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 6 months ago

i was thinking the same thing.

surely, if it was that big of a deal ljw would have picked it up right??

Chicago_JHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Go to billself.com and click on the hoopsblog. It's a contest to win "The Ultimate Kansas Basketball Experience"

jayhawksmiley 9 years, 6 months ago

I think someone just anticipated tj to be @ kansas. I would have liked to seen himhere but looking at it now I think that it would have been against our class to take the playing time away from the guys that gave up their season last year to improve our 2010 team to a one and done player. After all. Little was drug off the court after the big loss. I'm ready to c him contribute! Rock Chalk!

JayDocMD 9 years, 6 months ago

I was surprised that his mother said Kentucky was the clear second choice, and it was more than implied that he didn't know who he was going to pick until he sat down at the the Table O' Hats. We haven't heard the end of this, and I have a strong suspicion he winds up in Kentucky. It is wrong on many levels, and another low for the Battered and Fried Squid Appetizer.

Tallhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Jones may end up in kentucky but you have to believe their fan base will soon get tired of these one and done "super stars". Winning is great, but they will grow tired of having 30 + winning seasons but no Championships, that takes experienced players which they will never have at this pace.

Question for all my JayHawk fans, would you of ratherd lost T Jones to Kentucky , or KSUcks???

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

K-State. I would prefer Calapari to never successfully recruit a player again. He is mark of shame on college basketball and should be blacklisted from all universities.

I would rather see him go to Mizzou instead of playing under Calapari.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

agree with DevilHawk. Calipari is bad for college basketball. Period. I hate the thought of any impressionable high school kid even being in his presence. I love to cheer against K-State, and love to clown on Misery, but by all accounts Frank Martin & Mike Anderson are pretty stand-up guys as well as good coaches. I loathe Calipari and wish him no success, in anything, ever.

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

As far as I can tell from the various media quotes, his mom wanted him to star on whatever team he went to and to get to the NBA asap. That's why she didn't come on his visit to KU.

Seeing as how the stream on the Oregonian froze when he started to reach for a hat, I didn't see his "fake" to KU. However, I'm not so sure that it was intentional. He intentionally tried not to mention Calipari and didn't until he was more-or-less forced to, and I get the feeling that he wanted to choose KU but his mom wouldn't let him.

Considering that the other article says that he hasn't actually signed the UW letter-of-intent, I wouldn't be surprised if Selby calls him up and reminds Jones that he needs to do what he wants to do and what is best for him - not what is best for his mom.

Jones will succeed wherever he goes and that success will see him go to the NBA - as long as he doesn't get himself in trouble.

We will be successful this year with or without Jones, but I would much rather be rooting against him as part of a Pac-10 team than seeing him get involved with Calipari, WorldWide Wes, and risk making a deep run in March only to see it erased from the record books.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree that it did seem like he was going to not mention Calipari all together, and that I'd rather see him in Washington than Kentucky. You may also be right about him perhaps wanting to select KU. However, I doubt and can only hope that nobody associated with KU is still in this guy's ear trying to get him to come here. It's beneath us. If he were to come out tomorrow and say he made a mistake and still just isn't sure, and that he was re-opening up his recruitment, then maybe we take another shot at him. Otherwise, we should respect his decision and take him at his word. I know until the LOI is signed it's not an NCAA violation, but it's a moral and ethical one. Leave the kid alone.

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I never said that KU would or should try contacting him.

However, Selby is in an unusual position as a friend of his. I was merely speculating that it would not surprise me if Selby called or texted him to say "glad you did what you wanted to do - good luck at UW"

JayDocMD 9 years, 6 months ago

Here is one theory:

Jones had given Calisgreasy a silent verbal at some point this week, thus prompting the CJ Leslie to NC State move.

At the conference he felt the pull of his mom and the other Terrence to UW and changed his mind at the last second, putting on a doggy hat instead of a kitty hat.

The Swindler got swindled and busted off a phone call wanting to know what in the wild world of sports just happened? The End.

Either that or he's just a D Bag with no scruples and he wanted to ruin the kid's moment.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

I've heard that "soft verbal to UK" theory. I doubt it. He was so tight-lipped during the whole process I find it hard to believe that he told anybody he was coming. I guess it's possible the worthless POS Calipari manipulated him into saying something that Cal then construed as a "soft verbal". Regardless of any scenario, your last presumption is accurate. He is a D Bag.

brooksmd 9 years, 6 months ago

JayDocMD...Your last comment is well documented.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

well documented, or well rumored? I've read nothing from any official basketball source or columnist about this. I have read it by bloggers and posters. Here's the way it goes: CJ Leslie's statement "I have all the information I need" has been construed by some as Cal telling him Jones was coming to UK, prompting Leslie to sign with NC State. The way I see it, it's basically UK fans resorting to the "sour grapes" argument to explain away a recruiting defeat by not landing Leslie.

If I've missed some of this documentation feel free to provide a link, but I really don't think there's anything out there other than speculation.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Oops...too much late night posting. Yes, the LAST comment, that Cal is a D Bag, is in fact well documented. Sorry.

CP 9 years, 6 months ago

Here is an update of sorts from Saturday's edition of the Louisville Courier-Journal

"At a news conference at Jefferson High School in Portland, Ore., Jones announced that he'd chosen Washington over UK, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oregon and UCLA.

But the Seattle Times reported on its website Friday night that Jones had not signed his national letter of intent to play for the Huskies and that he'd had a 15-minute phone conversation with UK coach John Calipari following Jones' public announcement."

Let the Calipari bashing begin.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

dude...kushaw gave us the heads up on all this yesterday at 9:07 p.m. on this thread! I read starting reading your post and thought you had unearthed something new!

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

"read starting reading" wth? sorry. "I started reading your post..."

gongs4ku 9 years, 6 months ago

Not good news. We have alot of optimists here talking about how we're going to have a strong rotation next year, but I'm not seeing it. We'll contend for a big 12 title but that's about the best I think we can hope for. It's not going to be a national championship caliber team.

We could really have used an elite big. Oh well.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 6 months ago

This could be entirely BS, but I was told by someone close to the program that Thomas Robinson got pissed off recently after the Red squad lost another close game to the Blues. He showered, dressed, and ripped an oak tree out of the ground and beat it against the side of Allen Field House for 30 minutes... Lew had to squeeze boosters for some unexpected structural needs for the 'ole barn. Meanwhile Jones and Calipari are still waltzing... I hear basketballs bouncing in KU land right now. Lexintgon? Crickets. No one is there. You ready for next season? I am.

amw8716 9 years, 6 months ago

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Here's an article from the Seattle Time's Men's Basketball blog (written by the paper's reporter, not just blogged by some fan):

While I try to give these young high school kids a pass, here's my favorite part. "Scout.com's Dave Telep had a clever Tweet about Jones. 'T-Jones basically had a wedding, consulted a divorce lawyer and began dating again all in the same day.' "

DevilHawk 9 years, 6 months ago

This one is pretty good too: "Not sure why so many folks are bagging on Calipari. He's competing. That's what he expects of his players and that's what he's doing. It's what coaches do."

It seems the author doesn't care too much that Calapari is on the fringe of recruiting, has had final four appearances stripped from two schools because of recruiting violations, and is overall a bad influence on college basketball.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. I was surprised to read this from a guy working for the Seattle Times. Reading it you'd think Jeff Goodman or Andy Katz or some other Calipari apoligist had written the article. His justification for defending Cal was weak. Simply saying coaches "compete" is not a valid argument. It is the way he "competes" that has led to the Final Fours being vacated. There has to be some ethics & morals involved, and preying on impressionable young high school kids on what should be a celebratory occasion shows a lack of both. The author's analogy was also a swing and a miss as well:

"I remember Pete Carroll competing to keep Mark Sanchez the day the USC quarterback announced he was turning pro. Carroll got killed for it by the media and fans, but so what. Coaches tell their players to compete until the final seconds of a game and Calipari is acting accordingly"

Yes, coaches tell their players to compete until the final seconds of a game. That's a little different than trashing Mark Sanchez in the media for doing what he felt was in the best interest for his financial future. It would have been one thing to just tell him privately that he felt he was not ready (even though his only true motivation was keeping him around to make him look better the following season), but to air his complaints publicly and potentially hurt his draft stock was classless. Pretty worthless of a coach making millions of dollars, and who had even more millions awaiting him in the NFL whenever he wanted. Ironically, Cal did the opposite of Carroll this past season as he pushed as many kids out the door as possible. It's almost as if Cal has resigned himself to the fact that he'll never win a National Championship, so for him the whole game is now who can bring in the highest recruits and get them to the NBA the fastest. Maybe someday UK fans will realize that for the Squid winning games is secondary to high profile recruitment and showcasing individual talent.

amw8716 9 years, 6 months ago

Thank you. Makes sense. Sounds like KU was kind of an after thought anyway. He wanted to check KU out, but we are far too loaded at his position at this point in time. Granted, he could have stepped in and played meaningful minutes, but he would have had to of beaten out some talented folks that have been biding their time. I think KU is better off in the end.

jhawklifer 9 years, 6 months ago

Cal's desperation reveals something rather satisfying: he doesn't Kensucky can get to a F4 without TJ. TJ, Jayhawk nation blesses you commitment to UW and Coach Romar, and wishes you only the best in your future endeavors. Don't go and make that a curse, now.... :)

Scott Smetana 9 years, 6 months ago

Not sure how thick Jones is, but I agree in we needing another big. A Jeff Graves or DBlock would be nice. Someone to gobble up the rebounds. I'm worried about our defensive rebounding next year. I think the twins will be all over the court (which is good), but we're gonna miss Cole scooping up all the missed shots.

Tallhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Thomas Robinson was recruited by HCBS and staff due to his ability to rebound, hopefully he will progress enough this spring / summer to earn the minutes to do so. I think we are fine with the bigs we have, the important part to winning championships is the guard play and I think we may have that as well. I am excited about this team.

Ben Kane 9 years, 6 months ago

It would appear we need to get our facts straight. it was jones not cal who made the comment about hurting people and it actually appears more likely that jones called cal, although that doesn't seem to be known yet.

okiedave 9 years, 6 months ago

Jones picked a school where he will be hard pressed to play for a Pac 10 championship, not even mentioning never getting to the Final 4. Looks like playing close to home was more important to him. And that is a good reason. However, he is obviously too much into himself (evidenced by faking his reach for the KU hat) to risk losing his image by going to a great basketball school. At UW he will always be able to play in every game from day 1 and the lack of competition will eventually take its toll in his development and NBA pick #, if he even gets picked. A good pick for mama but not for his future.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree with some of your points here. Right now, UW has to be the favorite to win the Pac-10. They lost only one player from last's year's team that won the Pac-10 tournament and advanced to the sweet 16, and adding the Terrences (assuming Jones keeps his committment) as well as two other 4 star recruits puts them in an excellent position to build on that success. Romar is a good coach, they might have a shot at reaching a Final Four with a favorable draw.

The hat fake put me off a little too. Given the recent developement of him still not signing his LOI, he seems like kind of a flake. And that's not sour grapes that he didn't pick KU. Any school would be frustrated with his act had he chosen them and then seemingly continued to ponder his recruitment. If he still had doubts, he should have said so at the presser and taken his time. However, to organize a press conference with almost 25,000 people watching online, complete with the "drama" of all of the hats lined out on the table, and then to tell the sports world he is going to Washington...that should really be the end of it. It's not as if anything changed in the minutes following his announcement. There was no other news that changed the college basketball landscape that would justify reconsidering his choice. No coaching change. No early entry into the NBA draft opening up playing time somewhere. Nothing. All the information was there. He made a choice. I hope he sticks with it.

As for the lack of competition, it's true the Pac-10 will in all likelihood still be down, but it's hard to fathom it being as bad as it was last year. And Washington has had some success getting players to the NBA under Romar. And the bottom line is even if he progresses none during his time at Washington, he is still probably a first round pick the following year. It's like the vast majority of Coach Cal's players. He can't really be given credit for getting the likes of Rose, Wall, & Cousins to the NBA. They were lottery material in waiting before ever setting foot on a college campus. Jones may not be lottery material right now, but he's probably draft material.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Thanks. Upon rereading it I should probably clarify that I don't know how involved Jones was in the organization & details of the press conference. Doesn't change anything, but I did make it seem like he had set the whole thing up.

rawkhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Some thoughts: 1. Jones not going to KU could be a blessing. Seems like it will open up more deserved playing time from Little and Releford. 2. Like previous posters have mentioned, KU could use one more big on the roster...especially one that could contribute if the twins, Robinson, and/or Whithey are in foul trouble. This doesn't have to involve a blue-chip recruit. My guess is that this will be Self's next step... 3. I'm amazed at the difference of the signing of Josh Selby vs. Xavier Henry. A refreshingly straight-forward process with Selby. Could be the biggest recruit to ever come to KU. 4. I see KU making deep runs in the NCAA tourney for the next 2 years and perhaps another NC. It seems like the team will have a good mix of experience, talent, and desire (which was strangely lacking at times this year...) 5. Calipari continues to amaze me in his lack of integrity. Let Jones move on with his public decision to go to UW. 6. I like dynamitehawk's posts. They make me giggle

Steve Gantz 9 years, 6 months ago

Wow, a hat fake is being scrutinized by Jayhawk nation? Some people need to broaden their hobbies a little bit.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

You should have read all of the hat "analysis" prior to the announcement! Both on this site and the live feed chat, fans of the various teams were breaking it down like they were Mel Kiper watching film on college football players entering the NFL draft. Some of the things I read were:

• It's either UK or UW, their hats have straight bills like the kids like them these days. The others look like something you just pick up at wal-mart

• He's dressed in black and the only black hat is UW

• I don't like our hat being on the end like that

• Our hat is on the left and he's a lefty

• Our hat would be too hard to reach over the microphones

Anyway, I think the reason so many fans of KU didn't appreciate the hat fake was that it was all too familiar, with Baron Davis doing the same thing. No one likes to be reminded of their recruiting losses.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 6 months ago

Why does anyone care? Why does anyone know about Baron Davis doing it? Why are people watching an 18 year old announce where he's going to college? That's what I'm saying it's kind of embarassing to read my fellow Jayhawks acting like junior high kids.

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Why are we watching? I guess for the same reason that you read the article, you wanted to know. Not sure I get the comparison of fellow jayhawk fans eager to find out who may or may not be suiting up in the crimson & blue next year...and junior high kids. Do fans over-analyze things? Of course. Still don't know what that has to do with junior high kids.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 6 months ago

Are you in Junior High! (Just kidding!)

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

So, T Jones hasn't yet signed his LOI and is re-re-considering his options. According to Percy Allen of the Seattle Times, posse-member T Ross is taking the SAT today (makes me think he hasn't qualified academically yet - and may not unless he retakes in Detroit).

KU didn't need T Jones (could have been nice maybe, but also, possibly bad chem). Apparently, UK needs him - but perhaps more for recruiting hype. The team that really desperately needs him is Oregon...forget about "WW Wes," the "king" maker is Phil Knight. Let's see if T Jones gets a meeting with Dana Altman this week...oh yeah, Brandon Knight hasn't committed yet either. Crazy speculation? - absolutely bat-stuff yes.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 6 months ago

Without TJ, we are still in a good situation. Raleford and Little know the system and that along with TRob, EJ, CJ, and Withey improving, might be factors that offset TJ's talents. Finally, this also means phasing one person (Selby) into the rotation. Folks, this could be a special team!

KULA 9 years, 6 months ago

He probably didn't pick KU cuz he wants to make it out of the first week of the tournament next year, haha

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

Well, Washington did make it to the Sweet 16 this past season. However, last year before they lost in the second round, the year before they lost in the first round of the CBI (wow!), and the year before that they did not participate in post season play. If you look at the past 4 years (the span of an incoming college freshman's high school playing career) KU has advanced past the first week of the tournament more times than the other schools he was considering - 3 times. UCLA twice, Oklahoma, Kensucky, & UW once, and Oregon not at all. KU is also the only school to atleast play in the NCAA tournament all 4 of those years (and many consecutive years prior as well).

David Howell 9 years, 6 months ago

Not too worried about Washington and the Pac-10 ........ Bottom of the barrel conference lately that we shouldn't be compared to.

I just hope we strive to get past the 2nd round ! Other then the championship year haven't be lost out in the first or second round in 3 of those 6 years ?? We have the talent to make deeper runs. As for chemistry hopefully 2010-2011 is a better year for the Jayhawks .....................

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

"Grant Funding Proposal:"

Abstract: Late Recruiting Bidding Games with Grey and Black Incentives

Recruits unsigned and still auto-stimulating around in May appear to be engaging in a bidding game.

To help systematize knowledge of this aspect of college basketball, this proposed research hypothesizes that there are two late season signing periods for 5-stars with two kinds of bidding games.

1. The Grey Late Season Signing Period: this is the one 5-stars hold out for to maximize their knowledge of who will be coaching where, and which program will have the best players to play with. They also wait to see which program promises them the best offer of grey incentives to come and play. Grey incentives include: a) getting their parents, siblings, and relatives jobs and places to live in the town they will go to school in; b) hiring their AAU coach or father as an assistant; and c) other things researches have yet to have acquired knowledge of. Grey incentives are not illegal, but they are things that are not talked authentically about in the media.

2. The Black Late Season Signing Period: this typically manifests following the Grey Period. The Black Period is the period in which 5-stars hold out for in order to maximize their improper incentives like: cash, specific arrangements about someone taking their SAT for them, etc. The Black period is covert. Black incentives would literally trigger penalties were the NCAA to investigate and find evidence of them. The goal of intentionally entering the Black Late Season Signing Period is to hype the bidding war as much as possible in order to maximize Black incentives already explored earlier. During the Black signing period, a recruit is either uncommitted, or committed but keeps his LOI unsigned and sabre rattles about going elsewhere in an effort to keep squeezing more Black Incentives from bidders. During this period, for instance, a recruit might decide to visit a program that one has shown no interest in for an entire season, not so much to consider seriously that program, but rather to try to drive up bidding among programs you are already long involved in a Black Incentive bidding game.

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

Researches believe that late recruitment of 5-star players can be modeled using bidding games drawn from the literature of game theory and strategy in a variety of fields including international relations, political science, military strategy, law, economics and finance and, of course, mind control research. Useful bidding models have been developed for competitive activities as diverse as government auctions of wireless bandwidth, government auctions of natural resources, government auctions of financial instruments, internet commerce (e.g., internet auctions), and so on. These bidding games will, of course, probably have to be significantly modfied in their assumptions about players, strategies, rules and incentives to fit the special circumstances of late recruitment of 5-star players.

It should also be noted clearly that exceptions can be expected to both bidding game scenarios. Some late recruitment of 5-star players is likely to involve failed Grey Bidding strategies, and some de-commitments by early season signees, that force a few recruits into a grey bidding game late in the season triggered by unexpected coaching changes, significant changes in team rosters, etc.

The budget for this proposed research would be $52,189.32.

(Note: All fiction. No Malice.)

Andrew Moore 9 years, 6 months ago

Not bad jaybate, not bad at all.
It does bring up the fact that Jones was using us as a means of hype, which I don't disagree with at all...

I am curious as to where the $52,189.32 came from...

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

afmoore06,

The proposed research budget breaks out this way:

Primary Researcher (i.e., the tenured professor) $50,000

Associate Researchers (i.e., six grad students doing all the work essentially for beer money) $2,189.32

:-)

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

Post Script to Terrence Jones: Please don't sign him, Coach Self. I was a big fan of signing him the first time around, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Steve Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

LJW: I for one would be fine with no longer live casting recruits signings and just save them for post news conf. post casting....

also, they accept HCBS invitation or they don't put our cap out there. we are not a 2nd ran choice.

SoCalAlum 9 years, 6 months ago

Zags has the following story about UK BB having poorest grades in SEC, with a team cumulative GPA of 2.025 (KU is cited as having a 2.95 - just about a whole letter grade better).

Minor trivia point: the picture shown (taken pre-season) is the notorious one in which "Kentucky" is misspelled on Wall's jersey so that last four letters are "...cuky," read as "see you, Kentucky." Great inside joke for a OAD. Look for Mr. Unoriginal Jones to try this out next year.

Alternate theory on Wall jersey misspelling: they let him spell it. No matter, I guess, as long as he can count up to the six zeros that will be on his next paycheck.