Originally published April 23, 2010 at 01:18p.m., updated April 24, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Heralded recruit Terrence Jones to take visit to KU on Sunday

Kansas recruit Terrence Jones waits to check into the game during the first half of the Jordan Brand Classic, Saturday, April 17, 2010 at Madison Square Garden.

One of the most accomplished high school basketball players in Oregon history will be making an official recruiting visit to Kansas University on Sunday.

He’s McDonald’s All-American Terrence Jones, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound senior forward who recently led Portland’s Jefferson High to a third consecutive state title.

photo

Kansas recruit Terrence Jones lays in a bucket on a breakaway during the second half of the Jordan Brand Classic on April 17 at Madison Square Garden in New York. Jones will take a recruiting visit to KU on Sunday.

Basketball recruit to visit KU

Terrence Jones will make his final college visit a trip to KU. He is expected to announce what school he'll play basketball at on April 30.

Jones — he will announce for either KU, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma or Kentucky next Friday in a ceremony at his high school — recently was named the Oregonian newspaper’s Class 5A player of the year for the second straight season. He joined Kevin Love and Fred Jones as the only two-time winners of that award. Love won it three times, Jones twice.

“This is obviously a huge development for coach (Bill) Self, coach (Kurtis) Townsend and Kansas,” said recruiting analyst Shay Wildeboor of Rivals.com. “They conducted an in-home visit in September. From that point on, Terrence visited several other schools, but hadn’t made it to Kansas.

“He is coming in Sunday through Tuesday and is an absolute difference-maker. He’s an inside/outside guy who could step in right away and immediately impact the rotation.”

Jones, who is ranked No. 13 nationally by Rivals.com, averaged 32 points, 13 rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and three steals for Jefferson (26-3) last season.

Following Saturday’s Jordan Brand Classic game in New York, Jones told the Journal-World that he wanted to visit Lawrence before deciding on a college. He has visited Oklahoma (Oct. 10, 2009), Washington (Oct. 17), Kentucky (Oct. 28) and UCLA (Nov. 6).

“Hopefully, I will get that done,” Jones said Saturday. “I have one official visit left. I want to use it.”

“He’s anxious for me to join him,” Jones told the J-W. “He feels it would be best for both of us. Possibly, we could do great things there.”

Selby isn’t Jones’ only buddy who is a major-college recruit. Jefferson High senior Terrence Ross, a 6-5 guard, will visit Washington on Monday, according to Oregonlive.com. Ross is the country’s No. 30-rated recruit.

Wichita prep Ellis named top soph

Perry Ellis, a 6-8 sophomore from Wichita Heights High School, on Friday was named ESPN RISE’s national sophomore of the year.

The two-time all-state pick and two-time Gatorade Player of the Year averaged 22.2 points and 10.4 rebounds in leading the Falcons (23-2) to their second straight state title.

Ellis, who has Kansas University on his list of prospective colleges, will play for the Pray and Play Players in the 2010 Jayhawk Invitational, next Friday through Sunday.

The invitational will be held at Haskell, Lawrence High, Free State High, South, Central, West and Southwest Junior Highs, Seabury Academy, as well as Eudora High, Baker University and Okun Fieldhouse in Shawnee. More information will be available in days leading up to the event.

Austin Rivers, a 6-3 guard from Winter Park, Fla., was tapped RISE’s junior player of the year.

Jaban Parker, a 6-6 forward from Chicago Simeon High, was named freshman of the year.

Jayhawk Invite organizers said Friday that Team Texas was a recent addition to the field.

Recent KU commit Zach Peters, a 6-8 sophomore from Prestonwood Christian High in Plano, Texas, plays for Team Texas.

Comments

JAYHAWK_JIM 10 years, 1 month ago

Make that 7 Big 12 championships in a row!!!!

Vic Janeway 10 years, 1 month ago

Bring your buddy Terrence Ross, Coach will make room! ; )

jayhawk4alifetime 10 years, 1 month ago

WOW! I have a great feeling about this young student/athlete. With his friendship with Selby and the silver tongued HCBS, it's only a matter of signing on the dotted line. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Would have been great to have him make his visit during the season, so he could have attended a game and been overwhelmed by how awesome Allen Fieldhouse is packed with the best fans in the country! Still a pretty big developement given the news earlier today.

AndOne 10 years, 1 month ago

I agree it's too bad he didn't see AFH rocking, but game visits obviously have not sold him on the other schools, and HCBS is going to get the last big chance to snag him!

When he tweeted he was going to announce on the 30th and still did not have a KU visit set up, I thought we were not a serious consideration. This is great news!

What news earlier today?

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

sorry I didn't see your question earlier. Maybe someone else has answered it already, but there was a tidbit about Jones in the article about Cole throwing out the first pitch at the Royals game. In it Terrence's mom said that no visit was scheduled.

jayhawkjoe98 10 years, 1 month ago

When does too much talent become a problem? Does it? Is it valid to worry about retarding the maturation of players like Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey? Where do they fit in to the rotation if Jones comes to KU?

I'm going to assume Jones sees himself as an OAD and that he will be expecting major playing time. Will he really be better than Withey, Robinson, Mk Morris?

Isn't it more befitting to go after a Forward who will be here for 3 or 4 years with the possibility of Marcus leaving next season?

I guess I'd really just like to see Thomas Robinson get some more PT and I'm afraid that he'll barely sniff the court again if this guy shows up.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

I have the same worries too, although mine are more at the 3 spot. Jones can reportedly play the 3, and Selby said at the Jordan Brand Classic that he's going to try and bring in Jones to fill X's spot. I don't worry as much about Releford because I'm not sold on him, but I think Mario Little can be a beast at the 3 next year, and this could possibly push him to a situation where he's seeing limited minutes. Also this will be Little's last opportunity, whereas Releford still has 3 years of eligibility left (whether he'd be willing to sit on the bench for another year I don't know). All that being said, I'm of the opinion that you grab talent when you can. If it was a situation where it was either Jones or Ross, I'd take Ross. I think he'd be more likely to not expect immediate playing time and rather would see the situation and realize he needs to work hard and pay his dues to earn any court time. I'm only of this opinion due to Jones being ranked considerably higher by recruiting services. I have insider knowledge on what either player's expectations would be.

Ron_Kellogg 10 years, 1 month ago

So now Little's a "beast" too? Oh, brother. That makes Robinson, Little, and--according to one poster the other day--high school sophomore Zach Peters.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

hey, I just said I think he can be. If you have a different opinion feel free to share it. Or you can just type "oh, brother" and tell me what other posters wrote

Nutflush21 10 years, 1 month ago

Releford >>>>> Little and its not that close.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

and you know this because...? If we are to believe the things written by the LJW staff, Little is leaps and bounds better than Releford. The only thing we truly have to go off of is the situation from 2 seasons ago. Releford earned all his time and accumulated the majority of his stats against the weaker, non-conference foes (like EJ this year). Little, at maybe 75-80% healthy took time away from Releford and put up better stats against better competition. I'll listen to an arguement about Releford over Little, but ">>>>>>" is pretty weak.

chalmers2wright 10 years, 1 month ago

Little never took time away from Releford. Releford played the 3. Little has only played the 4 at Kansas. Little may have a sweet stroke but I'll wait to see if he is athletic enough to guard a 3. From what I've seen Releford>Little at playing the 3.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

There were plenty of times Little was out there with Cole & one of the Morris Twins...playing the 3! Maybe it wasn't Litttle who took Releford's playing time away, the more I think about it his PT was gone before Little started playing. Regardless, Releford's playing time evaporated while Little got minutes down the stretch and in the Big 12 & NCAA tournaments. The articles on this site say Little has guarded the 2, 3, & 4.

Alec White 10 years, 1 month ago

I'd have to agree with ict that Little will be the starting small forward on next year's team. He only played the 4 because Self needed him there and his obvious natural position is the 3. We only saw him at around 80% in 08-09' and he still showed flashes of brilliance. Also, with the addition of Selby we now have three guards whose biggest strengths are attacking the rim---which is what Travis does best. Little can be our rock on the perimeter and IMHO he will be our emotional leader next season.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Gotta love the "convincing" arguments being made for Releford! I mean, one person listed his name, another just used ">>>>>". Keep up the crack work fellas. Did either of you ever participate on the debate team? Like I said, I'll listen to an argument for one over the other, but so far no one has made a compelling case for Travis, or much of a case at all really.

Philip Garver 10 years, 1 month ago

If any of you have read ICT's posts before, you know that he is very knowledgeable. You should respect his opinion. I, too, believe that Little is a better player than Releford.

Why do I get the feeling that everyone that believes Releford is better bases their opinion on what he did in high school? Just because he's from the KC/Lawrence area doesn't make him a better basketball player.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

Who cares who Jones plays ahead of, as long as he "looks" good! :-)

Seriously, at 3, or 4, Jones is just another long, athletic skinny kid that won't be able to cut it in the Madness until his sophomore season, when he weighs 235-240lbs.

But at the 2, Jones is ready out of the box to be a match-up advantage every game the entire season.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the props; glad you enjoy my posts. I try to have well-formulated opinions, but at the end of the day, their just that. Opinions. I try and respect everybody's opinions, even if I disagree with them.

As for why people think Releford is better, I don't know for sure. I think part of it is that he is generally viewed as being more athletic. I'd agree with that to some extent. I think you can then tie that into how this past season ended. People watched the UNI game, they saw our Jayhawks beaten by a slow, methodical, fundamentally-sound team, and thought "we need to be more athletic so we can just wear teams out and run them out of the gym", so now there's this sweeping notion to get the best athletes on the court, not necessarily the best basketball players. Kind of the "Al Davis approach" applied to basketball.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

wow! upon re-reading my original post, the last line was supposed to read "I have NO insider knowledge on what either player's expections would be." Jeez. Sorry to anyone who read that and thought I was bragging about having any kind of "connections".

Andy Hess 10 years, 1 month ago

Jones has said that he doesn't see himself as a OAD type of player, so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 1 month ago

Terrence Jones is not your typical 6'8" forward. He has Magic Johnson ability and often ran the fastbreak in high school and other tournaments. He also has deep range, and the ability to take his man off the dribble.

Watching his highlights on youtube, he reminds me of a Julian Wright, but with more offense and a little less defense.

He is not super fast, he won't outrun guards, but he will be faster than anyone over 6'7". He can shoot over anyone that may try to guard him on the perimeter.

He also reminds me of J.P. Prince from Tennessee. He is special, and getting this kind of hybrid player that could possibly play any position would make substitutions for Self a whole lot easier.

chalmers2wright 10 years, 1 month ago

I sure hope he isn't like J.P. Prince. I have a better looking shot than J.P. Prince and I haven't played competitive basketball since middle school.

jaytrey 10 years, 1 month ago

Whoa there bighawkbill i understand the excitement surrounding this kid but to reference Magic is a little much. the julian wright comparison is more on target he has more range than wright but doesn't pass the ball nearly as well. and yeah i even see where you'd say a little J.P. Prince bcuz of the lefty thing but he doesn't shoot it as well as Prince did coming out of highschool but has a better low-post game than either Prince or Wright. so good post i enjoyed it thought i'd comment though. RCJH!

jayhwx3003 10 years, 1 month ago

Selby to Jones for the oooooooooooooopp!! Getting excited for next Friday already.

Alan Williams 10 years, 1 month ago

sweetness34 should be on here soon to say..."ma boy jonesy ain't be comin down thr" followed most likely by the remaining sentences (if you can call them that) of illegible ebonics

Alan Williams 10 years, 1 month ago

meant to say the remaining sentances of his illegible ebonics post...now my comment makes sense lol

brooksmd 10 years, 1 month ago

Put him in a soundproof room with a big screen and play the video of the crowd in Phog Allen on championship night 2008. He'll get the idea. If that don't give you goosebumps you need to check your heart.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 1 month ago

This is good news! His other 4 visits were in October last year. He's obviously excited to see KU before he makes his pick, and it'll be fresh in his mind!

Nutflush21 10 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkjoe88- Doesnt he play on the perimeter? Can he really beat out a 3rd year player in Travis Releford and 5th year player Mario Little? I have a hard time seeing that.

Either way, at some point this "over recruiting" has to get frustrating for our very talented current players that have been patiently waiting in the wings.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 1 month ago

It's called competition! Great players don't shy away from competition, they embrace it. I say put the best team on the court. No one will ever know what the best team is if we can't land the top talent.

addlime 10 years, 1 month ago

Over recruiting? I'm sorry, but with the current NBA draft policy, the best college players are generally OAD or maybe two and done. Doesn't mean that Little or Releford can't beat Jones out for playing time (if he were to come here), but KU should aspire to have a McDonald's all-american at every position. Trust this coach, if there is one thing he can do, its manage egos and get guys to believe in the team.

SoCalAlum 10 years, 1 month ago

Great news that Terrence Jones is following up as he said he would after the Jordan Brand game and that his post-game comments about KU weren't just collateral good vibrations from Josh Selby's signing.

According to reports on the internet, he hasn't made any visit to Arizona...made an unofficial visit to Oregon - but they've been without a coach for six weeks or so now? Oklahoma never made any sense and it seems that all of their players are leaving for one reason or another. UCLA signed Josh Smith (he was also in the Jordan game) and while he seemed to have good FT form, he also looks like the second coming of once-beloved-by-KU-fans J'Mison (Bobo) Morgan - the same Bobo Morgan who was given a one-way Greyhound ticket out of LA. All of this considered, I'm concerned about the Univ of Washington: they just signed a 7-ft juco center and also signed Coach Romar to a long-term contract...and they may be more likely to sign Terrence Jones' HS buddy Terrence Ross. I can't see how KU would still have an interest in Terrence Ross.

Although this is an ancient report (from 10 days ago), still informative I think about Terrence Ross (seems to have "happy feet") and his relationship with Terrence Jones... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2011597645_umen14.html

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure how I feel about this development...I really do think that at some point, a coach can have too many players with talent. A divided locker room can be a cancer to a team (just ask UConn fan)....there are only so many minutes for a player to expect (with loads of talented players next to him) and I honestly think that almost every player on our roster has the ability to contribute on this level. Releford did what was best for KU last year and to ask him to sit or transfer sends a poor message to four year players looking to come to KU in the future. Withey has already transfered and may deserve time...and Little has already given a LOT to the program, if not on the court. He gave up a redshirt two years ago to try to get KU deep in the tournament...I don't know guy's, it seems like we may end up with trouble down the road.

On the otherhand, my selfish side wants this kid BAD! Everything I've read about him and everything I've seen tells me that this kid is a difference maker...if we can get him, we should? Or shouldn't....someone help me out here, my head is spinning...

PS, I thought his momma said he WASN'T going to visit?

PPS, If it's between us and Kensucky, SIGN HIM OUT OF SPITE ALONE.

PPPS, is it just me or does Coach Self seem to have an unlimited number of scholarships?

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 1 month ago

The player that deserves playing time is the player that gives KU the best chance to win a championship. This is not about Releford and Little paying their dues. If they are thinking that way then they are thinking selfishly. Every person associated with KU basketball ought to be concerned with excellence even at their own personal cost. They should not be thinking about who deserves to play based on how long they have been with the team. In that sense, Jordan Jueneman deserves to start over everyone.

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Thanks BigHawkBill...I can't disagree that the best players should play...but as a former HS basketball and football coach, I followed the "program" approach (meaning the best of the upperclassmen played unless a Frosh or Soph were HEAD and SHOULDERS above, this helped to build the program, it helped to build tradtion). Now, it's easier to do this at a HS I admit but one can't continue to ask players to "pay their dues" if there is no reward. Feelings and egos will be affected...no ifs ands or buts about it.

Again, I'm not saying that I disagree with you...I'm saying that there is a price to be paid when looking at things big picture. If a coach needs and wants "glue" guys and four year players who need time to develop, he/she can't continue to ask some to transfer or just leave them on a bench for 4 years (5 if they redshirt). KU needs the Morningstars and Reeds but those types of kids wont continue to commit to KU if they have no shot at playing, they'll go to a lesser program where they may not compete for a Big 12 and National Championship year in and year out, they'll attend a Butler, UNI or Wichita State where they'll play. Many say, "fine, let them go"...but without them, there is no continuity to the program and that's when things start to go down-hill.

For the record, I WANT the kid to sign, he's a great talent...but it's a slippery slope...at least that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

dylans 10 years, 1 month ago

You just pointed out that Reed and Morningstar get minutes. Those two guys played themselves into the rotation. It can be done! You just have to play your butt off. Take note ye of marginal talent.

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

I feel if Terrence Jones comes with part of the Selby package we actually are ahead!!!! Selby is taller and quicker than Sherron and Jones is taller and quicker than Xavier. Both can shoot the ball and play defense. We are looking real good if we get Jones. I don't care if they are freshman, they are elite players. We have one more scholarship left, let's get him. He already has played with Selby plenty of times so there is some chemistry there.

92Jhawk, you want the best players out there on the court. Little and Releford know we reload every year it's just bad luck for them if this kid comes. Self just can't turn his back on talent, that's just dumb. KU gets the cream of the crop players and we should always as long as Self and Manning are here.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 1 month ago

we have enough talent already.....but i ain't worried....jones isn't goin to choose KU...he's just using up his last visit...visiting 5 days before you sign and commit??? don't think so.

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

RCJ- I respect your opinion, but why take your "last visit" to a school when you have no intentions of signing? No disrespect, but that's just plain stupid!! He's using this uneventful time to tell HCBS his decision. Why go all the way to Lawrence, KS from Oregon? He's been away too long and is taking valuable time from his busy schedule when he could be studying and catching up on missed days from school. NO, he's telling Self that he is going to be a Jayhawk!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

I think everyone has to realize that this trip is not to convince Terrence about Kansas...I think Josh has done that already.

The purpose of this trip is to convince his Mom about Kansas. If I was Coach Self, I would have every KU player Mom and coaches wife and especially Josh's Mom, be in Lawrence to sit down and have some straight mother talk!!

I've read some posters indicating you can have too much talent. I challenge that comment:

1] The more talent you have, the less everyone else has. 2] Talent breeds competition which breeds intensity which breeds improvement. 3] The practice scrimmages will be battles far exceeding some of the actual games. 4] Enriching KU's recruiting resume a strong by-product 5] The staff will have more options, more combinations and more weapons in the arsenal.

I say bring everyone on and let's do it!!!!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Those are all good points, and I've said many times you need to grad talent when you can. The only concern would be chemistry issues. It doesn't take much to derail a team/locker room. Say Jones comes here but can't beat out either Little or Releford to start at the 3. How does he handle that? And when he is on the court, would he accept a reduced role or would he try and be "the man" like most top 15 talent is in high school? If guys don't buy into their role, they can't be trusted to perform that role when they get on the court. Tyshawn is the perfect example of this. He said he didn't understand his role. I have no doubt CS sat him down and explained to him what that role was, and I have little doubt that he told him it was more of a "glue" role. However, there were far too many instances last year of TT trying to assert himself to something beyond his role, and everytime he crapped the bed (with the exception of the home game against Colorado...not exactly the best barometer). He would fail miserably at the role he was aspiring to perform, and would abandon the role which he was assigned. So by all means bring in talent, just do your best to make sure that talent fits what you're going to want him to do.

I hope we land him, just saying I can understand some of the causes for concern.

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

According to TheShiver.com, Jones' mom will not be making the trip to Lawrence. I hope you're at least right about Jones already being sold on KU.

jayhawker97 10 years, 1 month ago

ameen.. before, some of us critized coach BS for not getting hi-ranked recruits, we were worry that all good ones went to UK.. blah blah blah.. the more good recruits we have, the better. period.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

Oakville,

Oh, how I hope your are right that only mom needs convincing.

But I cannot help but wonder if he were coming for a visit to drive up the bidding in check book recruiting among the other schools he has listed since he first cut KU from his list.

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

Why wouldn't he choose KU RCJ? There are different levels of talent, some are just elite like this kid. This kid is Lamar Odomesque (lakers). Selby wants him to play here, I think he can persuade him. If he doesn't go here he'll be at Washington. Teams would kill to have the kind of talent we can get, it's not that bad of a thing. : )

bradynsdad 10 years, 1 month ago

i wonder what andy katz has to say about ku's recruiting power outage now. that was an idiotic article. i dont really care wether he comes or not but it does sound like selby is working on him. also selby knows we lose several players this year which opens alot of minutes for the both of them when their sophomores.

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

92jhawk I understand your concern about the other players on the team as well but if we do get Terrence Jones it would give us a elite type athlete. I just don't think you could pass up wanting another top 10 player with his skill's. That 5 star add would also put us in the top 10 next year probably and the other reason we should want Terrence because it would royally tick off UK fans and adding Jones would be a major publicity win for Kansas and Bill

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Well said and you'll get no serious argument from me, I would love for Jones to land on Mt. Oread...but my heart goes out to those who have survived boot-camp and left blood and sweat on the floor of Allen Fieldhouse only to find floor time impossible...that being said, come on out to Lawrence Mr. Jones, and bring your mother too, I think she'll find KU has a lot to offer her son.

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

It would feel good to beat Calipari in recruiting, because that guy doesn't lose too many of those battles. (He's already signed the No. 1 & 2 recruits for next year.)

Dan Cook 10 years, 1 month ago

Oakville -- according to what I've heard, Mom isn't coming. I don't consider that good news for those that want Jones, but I guess it doesn't mean we defintely won't get him either. I wonder if Mom has ever been on campus. I have a hard time picturing a kid going anywhere Mom hasn't seen.

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

I didn't realize it was common for parents of recruits to attend official campus visits. I guess it makes sense. After all, these are high school kids. I hope his mom allows him to make his own decision.

Annette Lee 10 years, 1 month ago

Would you turn down another Julian Wright? Plus Selby likes him and playing time? Well Little will shine if he doesn't get hurt and PT will just work itself out..

stravinsky 10 years, 1 month ago

As much as I'd like to see Little shine, he deserves it with what he has sacrificed for this program, the goal is to put the best player on the court. If Little can be that guy, freaking fantastic. If we get a freshman who can outplay him, that's fine too. Competitive sports is the business of minor tragedies...

Kevin Holt 10 years, 1 month ago

Exactly. Bring in the best players and let the them fight it out in front of Coach Self.

I wonder if people wish that Paul Pierce would not have come to KU b/c it cost (a senior) Sean Pearson his starting role???

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

Phoggy Style great point about the two Kansas players, and what would it hurt to have a another possible Elite player on the team? and added depth on the roster. Oh, Paul Pierce or Mr Pearson does anyone remember that Senior on here?

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 1 month ago

i just knew he'd visit. he's been talking so much publicly, and then we had his mother quoting saying there's no visit scheduled...and on and on.

honestly, i think these recruiting sites sit on information just to make things more dramatic. the LJW runs a story this morning, that his mother says no visits are scheduled, and he'll decide in a week.

then....voila! hours later there's a story, "mother tells Rivals that he will visit KU Sunday." i mean, you're kidding right? you didn't know that before? you can't be finding out all of this stuff, within minutes of the arrangement?

oh well...that's truly a side story with him actually coming. and if he does visit, i think he'll commit. it just seems to be rolling this way. C'mon Terrance! we'll have so much fun next year!....tee he.

tis4tim 10 years, 1 month ago

I tend to worry about chemistry issues dividing the team with all of the talent Self seems be pulling in these days like burrs to velcro. However, if Selby is good friends with Jones it stands to reason that chemistry would improve, knowing that the two are going to gel even before they set foot on campus.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Even though Bill doesn't promise time to anybody, I still can't fathom any coach giving the straight shaft to guys like Little and Releford who sacrificed so much for the good of the team. They epitomized what it means to be a good teammate and somehow it seems cruel to think they don't get the opportunity they probably feel they deserve. If they weren't sort of "promised" playing time as a reason to put their careers on hold for a year, what other reason could there be? Then to do what is asked only to find out that the playing time isn't there...I don't know. It gives me that little weird feeling in my gut, you know?

I realize life comes with no guarantees, but things like that might start to put a little tarnish on Self in the eyes of future recruits.

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

This kid is silky smooth. He was a guard in 8th grade then he had a growth spurt. The kid is a 6ft 8 guard. He can pass well too! Total package.

Tell me you don't want him to go to KU after watching this video. I dare you!

The crossover at 1:27 is sick!

DALSCHS 10 years, 1 month ago

There was a comment earlier about the Terrance's wanting to play together and most people are saying if not kansas then Washington but i believe UW is in the same situation as us. They only have one scholarship so i think we have just as good as shot as any other school.

thmdmph 10 years, 1 month ago

I doubt if Self will guarantee play times and immediate starting spot to Jones. He's going to have to work hard. And depending on his skills and abilities and Releford's and Little's --> then the best fit will earn the most minutes.

On the other hand, I'd guarantee playing time to Perry Ellis anyday.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

Linda, if you see these posts, we truly wish you were coming along with your son. I will not speak against the other schools recruiting your son except to say none of them have Bill Self or Danny Manning.

I came to Kansas as a freshman and five years later graduated a better man. One thing in common all of us posters have is that we are proud to be Jayhawks.

I know your son would be proud too. Whatever happens I wish you and your son the best.

justanotherfan 10 years, 1 month ago

To be honest, Terrence Jones looks like he is what Julian Wright was supposed to be - a 6-8 guy with guard type skills. Wright, unfortunately, was not as good a ball handler as many had hoped, and wasn't comfortable playing away from the rim all the time. Jones looks like he is. As some have said already, he was a guard in middle school before growing half a foot and becoming a forward.

If Jones comes, Self has the option of playing a bigger lineup with Selby, Little, Jones, Mc. Morris and Withey in there. All of those guys have good size for their position. Self could also play a lineup with a lot of similar sized players in - Taylor, Releford, Jones, Morris twins. Jones would simply add to the versatility of the lineups Self could use.

As for the question of too much talent, I disagree strongly. Would we want Terrence Jones suiting up for Texas? Or Oklahoma? Or Kentucky? Of course not (not that he is considering all of those schools). But the bottom line is, Terrence Jones is going to be a quality player whether he plays in Lawrence, Lexington, Seattle, Los Angeles, Austin, Eugene or wherever else. Might as well be a high quality player in crimson and blue if he is interested.

And I don't think his signing would cut into Little or Releford's minutes. Those two are going to split time at the 2 guard spot, which is Releford's more natural position anyway. Little will also play the 3. Mc. Morris will play the 3 some, but will probably play the 4 more often. Mk. Morris will play the 4 and 5. Withey will play the 5. Robinson will play the 4 and 5. EJ will play the 1 primarily, with some 2, as will Selby. Taylor will play the 1 and 2.

So the depth chart looks something like this

1 - Selby 1 and 2 - Taylor, Johnson, CJ Henry 2 - Releford, Reed, Morningstar 2 and 3 - Little 3 and 4 - Jones, Mc. Morris 4 and 5 - Mk. Morris, Robinson 5 - Withey

We all know Self prefers playing 8. If Jones signs, Self may open it up to 9 since he has so many versatile guys, but the real pinch for minutes will be that second guard spot, with 6 or 7 guys fighting for 2 or 3 spots in the rotation. I don't think a Jones signing will affect the Morrises, Robinson or Withey because most of Jones' minutes are going to be at the 3 IMHO. His signing may affect whoever the odd men out end up being between Releford, Morningstar, Reed, Taylor, Johnson, Henry and Little, but the truth is, two of the guys in that group probably aren't going to play much next season anyway. I'm not going to guess which two, but simple math says at least two (maybe three) of them won't see much time.

UW_Huskies 10 years, 1 month ago

Jones has one official visit remaining. Why wouldn't an 18 year-old want to take advantage of that and visit Kansas? Recently, Terrence's mother went on the record stating that Kansas wasn't in the cards. Who knows what this means? I do seriously doubt that an official visit five days before making his decisition would be determinative as this is a major decision for high school senior.

For the record, UW has two scholarships remaining since both Elston Turner and Clarence Trent are transferring - one for each of the Terrences. Terrence Ross is visiting on Monday and was reportedly wearing a UW t-shirt in class yesterday. Shortly after the news broke about Trent transferring, Ross tweeted that he now knew where he was going to school. Based on everything I've seen, I think they are both coming to UW. Your thoughts?

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

UW_Huskies- You raise an excellent point. Why travel to Lawrence, KS? If you have no intention of signing, just stay home. TJones needs to stay home and make up some school work, right? So like TRoss, just tweet your decision. If they want to play together, just cancel your Lawrence trip, tweet that you will go to UW and be done with it. No, there's a good reason why he's traveling all the way to Lawrence, on an uneventful Sunday at that. If you use your deductive reasoning and common sense, that has commitment all over it. TJones said, "I have one visit left, I 'want' to take it." He didn't say, "I have to take it"!

Congrats on TRoss' decision! You can congratulate Jayhawk Nation on signing yet another top recruit in TJones later! LOL

Seriously, congrats on signing a much needed recruit in TRoss.

yovoy 10 years, 1 month ago

okay, i wasn't so hot for this kid 'til i saw the video. he's a langford/ju hybrid. i realize the video was edited, but i'll say that besides the versatility that it looks like he has, the thing that i'm most impressed with is that the ball doesn't "stick" when he touches it. he's going to pass, shoot, or put the ball on the floor to improve his angle to do either - immediately. sure, some of that has to do with the edit, but he seems to know what he's going to do in a fraction of the time that most players his age do. he's a zone buster. not (just) because of his range, but because he seems to pass the ball well. if he flashes high-post in a zone and gets a touch, it should be almost automatic for points. he seems active and skilled, much like ju did, and that's a great thing, imo.

show him the pregame video. any of the ones that i call "indoctrination" videos. the ones that would make leni reifenstahl proud (from a technical standpoint, not from an idealogical one). he'd push the date up, and sign on the spot.

tis4tim 10 years, 1 month ago

UW_Huskies,

You said: "I do seriously doubt that an official visit five days before making his decisition would be determinative as this is a major decision for high school senior."

I would tend to agree, though Self did get a commitment from Julian Wright after an in-house visit, despite his never having set foot on campus. So, there is precedent for the Self brand of magic.

UW_Huskies 10 years, 1 month ago

tis4tim,

Did not realize that - anything can happen. Just thought you guys would be interested in some perspective from a Husky. The frontcourt does appear to be crowded at KU and Jones would be able to fill in Pondexter's slot at UW. I think it will come down to school location and where Terrence Ross commits (likely UW). Jones has stated that he would like to stay local and since Oregon is a mess (still no coach), UW is a logical choice with Seattle being about a 3-hour drive from Portland.

However, Kansas and Kentucky probably sound enticing to any recruit. Friday can't come soon enough.

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

UW_Huskies, thanks for the info...if Jones doesn't come here, I hope that it's UW...although I think it's our backcourt thats over-crowded...front-court is set but we could use another kid from up there...either way, I look forward to seeing Jones play next year...looks electric.

PS, The Capital Grille on 4th Ave is my favorite place to eat in the whole country...and believe me, I'm sampled places EVERYWHERE in this country! Good stuff...

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

Can you imagine Lacaerus Dunn going up against this kid on the perimeter. He's not slow so and won't get burned playing defense. I think he's the real deal.

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

UW Huskies It could be they both come to UW and yes I think your school has a good chance hopefully you get Terrence Ross and KU would be happy to just get Jones I would give UW the edge over Kansas but it could come down to Josh Selby and who Terrence wants to play with more. The Kansas visit might tilt the edge on Terrence Jones to Kansas but you might have Jones mom in your favor. UW we could take both two because we have a player that might give up his scholarship if both Terrence's would want to come together. So it could happen but not likely to happen if you think you have Terrence Ross but who really knows what will happen with teenagers. PS UW if you get both players, I think KU fans would be OK with that as long as they don't pick Kentucky

UW_Huskies 10 years, 1 month ago

92Jhawk,

I work about 4-5 blocks but have never eaten there. I'll have to try it out. You are the first person who has raved about it, although I haven't heard any bad reviews.

It's funny, I've checked out various Kansas, UW, and Kentucky blogs and everyone believes Jones is a lock for their school! We should both be happy to hear that Calipari canceled a Portland stop on his recruiting trip to visit another Kentucky recruit (Teague). Either Jones told Calipari not to bother since UK is crossed off his list or Calipari already has him in the bag. I think (hope) it's the former.

Kent Wells 10 years, 1 month ago

I'd rather eat at Ivars. Keep Clam until Friday!

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

It's a great place to eat, try it out! That being said, Seattle is full of great places to eat...if you go back over the past few days, I think you'll find that a few of us have been convinced that Jones is going to UW...

PS, Husky Stadium...are you kidding me? That is the LOUDEST college football stadium I've ever been to...you call it Husky Stadium but I'd change the name to Darth Vader Helmet Staduim (that's what it reminded me of the first time I saw it)...that "roof" or whatever you call it bounces every scream back to earth!

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

UW Huskies, I Don't see it as a lock that we get Terrence Jones but it would be a nice bonus for Kansas. "Oh as far as UK your right about them but hey they think their going to get everybody. Oh if you right about the cancelled visit then UW would probably get Terrence if we don't. UW I see a lot of hope with KU fans on here about wanting Terrence for obvious reasons but not the UK arrogance most of Kansas fans on here have said UW that we would be OK if he chooses UW just not UK So good luck UW Huskies, it will be a long week for both fan bases

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

Terrence Jones is potentially a once in a decade player. He would bring some things that even Xavier did not bring. At 6-8, TR would bring match-up advantage every game at the 3 causing even Harrison Barnes head aches. TR coming to KU would transfer next year's KU team into one of the toughest in the country, because he would vastly expand Self's ability to create, or sustain match-up advantage at the 4,3 and 2 positions...if Ross were able to handle playing for Self and the rigors of Self Ball that ralster rightly reminds us of from time to time.

The critical question is: why didn't Ross come for a visit before now?

It could slice two ways.

But if this trial at the 2 did not work, then Jones enables something else Self has wanted to do for a long time, though only if Jones would permit it. Self could plug Jones into the 4 and move Marcus to the 3 and probably fulfill a promise made to Marcus when he came to KU.

Terence Jones is called a hybrid 4.

Everyone assumes he slots into the 3, or 4. At the 4, he frees up Marcus to play 3, but is exactly the kind of slight freshman big that is completely walked all over in the Madness. At the 3, Jones allows Self to play very, very big at that position.

But here's the thing: Terence Jones could well swing between the 3 and the 2 for KU. There. I said it.

Imagine this line-up:

1 Selby 6-3 2 Jones 6-8 3 Marcus 6-8 4.Kieff 6-9 5 Robinson 6-9

Self tried Xavier at the 2 a few times, but Xavier never really showed the kind of get to the rim ability that I believe Terrence Jones would bring in trumps. And Jones supposedly has a good 3 gun.

Thomas Robinson is not going to give major match-up advantage at the 5 next season. He will be capable and have many strengths, but he is not going to dominate the paint.

Jeff Withey seemed like a potentially massive match-up advantage until Self basically decided Robinson, not Withey was the only one that could take the violence late last season.

Robinson and Withey add up to two non-dominant post men, unless Withey puts on 30 pounds of muscle, which seems improbable, since he had a chance to beef up the last year and did not.

As a result, KU desperately needs a decisive match-up advantage at another position.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

Or to put it another way, KU has to have 3 go get a basket options on the floor at crunch time.

Marcus will be one.

Selby will have to be a second.

Little might be the third, but at only 6-5 and 210 and lacking a trey, he is not likely to be a very dominant 3rd option scorer.

Who then? Tyshawn? Maybe, but why expect him to be able to go get a basket next season, when he seemed unable to this season.

Terrence Jones.

Terrence Jones at the 2.

Terrence Jones would almost certainly come to KU, if he were offered the chance of playing some 2.

Right now, KU does not desperately need Jones at either the 3 or the 4.

So why would Jones even think about coming to KU, when there are so many schools that could desperately use him at the 3 and 4, expect less of him, and have less depth to threaten his PT?

Because Bill Self could well afford to dangle the carrot of the 2.

And Jones could, by being willing (and able) to play 4, 3 and 2, make himself utterly addictive to Bill Self.

Come on Terrence.

One season at the 2 and 3 shooting 40% from trey, and with Self defense mastered, and you are a lottery pick!

Dan Cook 10 years, 1 month ago

I believe Jones has wanted to be involved with KU for quite awhile. I was a bit surprised interest seemed to wane on one side or the other, or both. I wouldn't be surprised if Mom felt KU was out when an offer didn't materialize last summer or fall.

Didn't Jones go to the same high school as Lee and Miles? There has to be some KU awareness from that situation, which could mean even though it looks to be late interest now, there's been interest all along.

If the kid knew where he really wanted to go months ago, why did he wait? Clearly he was open to last minute decision making and that allows for late interest. Especially when that interest comes from a school he may have wanted to consider all along.

Not sure where Mom is relating to KU, but I have to believe that Terrence is legit in his KU interest. Selby has to be a positive factor at this point, but I can't help but think he's been interested before Selby. If he visits, I'm guessing KU has at least an even money shot at getting him.

kvskubball 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, remember, we couldn't show too much interest, because until Cole and X decided to go pro, we didn't have a scholarship to give...Boom, they both go pro, now we have two to give...one goes to Selby and Jones supposedly wants to play with Selby...NOW that is possible...seredipity strikes!

So, it really makes sense that both sides cooled, and it would make sense if Jones now decides to go to KU!

I agree that if he doesn't go to KU, I hope he picks UW...Romar seems like a good coach...no Self (OK, I'm biased), but quite good...

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

erratum: Sorry for accidentally using Ross a few times to refer to Jones. We want Jones!

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Our only hope is that it stays warm and sunny in Larrytown on Sunday. KU beauties do your thing.

Kent Wells 10 years, 1 month ago

This would be a good time for Samantha Ryan to be in town...

sdku 10 years, 1 month ago

This Kid had lottery pick written all over him!

LPH_hawkfan 10 years, 1 month ago

A couple of things:

First, it's very nice to have a fan from another school post here and actually be respectfull and intelligent. (I'm refering to UW_Huskies) So much better than the hate and stupidity of KY_Cats and his/her fellow dumb dumb's. As we can actually have decent conversation and debate with UW_Huskies.

Secondly, does anyone know or have any idea what CS and the staff do with these recruits that visit when there is no game to attend. I mean other than tour the campus, the Towers, the facilities and so on, what else do they do? Do they take them into AFH and play the video? Simulate the kid being in the starting lineup? Pump a bunch of LOUD sound into AFH? I've always wondered, because if the recruit can't experience a game then I feel that he is seriously missing out, as well as us not taking advantage of all of our weapons.

Hopefully Friday will bring us good news and Mr. T. Jones will be a Jayhawk next semester. RCJH

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 1 month ago

JuJubean: I don't know how much value you put in your information that says Mrs. Jones isn't coming along on the visit. I find it hard to believe. She has been very involved with his recruiting, and I would think she wants to know everything there is to know about every school her son is considering. I'm expecting her to be here. Hope I'm right.

kvskubball 10 years, 1 month ago

I agree! We be velly happy if you bring your Basketball Jones's to KU!

Mama, please let your boy wear the KU Uni!

Dan Harris 10 years, 1 month ago

Unbelievable that their are posters saying that we maybe recruiting too many studs? If not would you be bitching that Coach Self was being out recruited by slimeball Cal? Always complaining about something, come on down TJ!

cg1029 10 years, 1 month ago

My guess is that if Jones comes it will be Selby - 1 Tyshawn - 2 Jones 3 Morris - 4 Someone -5

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

cg- Please see Jaybate's analysis of TJones at the 2!!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

cg1029: Let me help you here .. 1. Selby 2. EJ 3. Releford 4. Marcus 4a. Robinson

We're in too late in the process on Jones .. would be a big upset if we get him. If we do, insert Jones for Releford.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

insert Little for Releford. Markieff for TRob.

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

HighEliteMajor I would prefer your line up ideal better because if TT was a starter next year I would be seriously worried. TT back up point guard maybe? I mean come on would anyone want to see Tyshawn starting at the 2 spot because unless he comes back as a reincarnated scorer next season that would be a bad ideal. When TT is in a game other defenses sag off him because they know he can not hit outside shots. I would agree with you HighElite- about Terrence but as UW Huskies pointed out earlier on this blog. Terrence or Cal cancelled their last meeting together, So it's possible he could come to Kansas. I am still thinking UW but I'm willing to be wrong on my pick

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Gotta love Jaybate's "once in a decade" hyperbole. Really? Once in a decade? You have to wonder, if he is that good, why was Self holding a scholarship for Doron Lamb and not Jones? If Jones was that good, why are there between 8-12 players ranked ahead of him by recruiting services? I mean, those services aren't an "etched in stone" indicator of how good kids are going to be compared to their peers, but I'd say those people, who's job it is to evaluate & rank talent, probably have a better idea than fans of schools recruiting the kid who've seen a couple highlight videos and some floor time at the Jordan Brand Classic. Great talent. Potentially great college player. Isn't that enough? (don't even get me started on the idea of him playing the 2!).

I think Ralster is on the right track. He said "Regarding the speculation on Little and Releford: Its been too long since we've seen them play, so no way can we know about their D and their 3pt shooting as of this moment & really wont know until November." The same goes for any recruits. No one has seen these kids playing against college players, being asked to play roles as opposed to being the man, being ask to defend on the level Coach Self demands. How stoked was everybody last year when we landed X? He was ranked between #3 - #8 by recruiting services. He had a good freshman season, but not great. Just far too many unknowns heading into next season. Of the 13 players I count now, only 5 saw significant stretches of playing time last season. I'm excited to see how it all shakes out.

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

I've been checking in when I've become bored by the NFL Draft, NBA Playoffs and the nightly beating taken by the Royals...some of the thoughts of posters get's me excited for the season, some have made me laugh, others have caused me to ask "WHAT?"...and some scare the heck out of me...for instance, someone said Jones reminded them of Julian W...followed by another poster, 'maybe he can play the 2'...if he's Julian W, there is NO WAY he can play the 2. I enjoyed watching Julian play ball...but I STILL hate to see him shoot the ball from over about...2' (but I'll take Jaybate's word that he has those skills, I just don't know).

I stopped listening to the hype of so called experts years ago when Felipe Lopez was touted as the next Jordan, a "can't miss". Great kid, even made it into the NBA for a few years but the next Jordan? Not even close. To be honest, I was never that impressed with him in college (although he seemed to be a great person). Who had more hype than Lester Earl? Granted, he had some serious injuries that derailed him but he was never going to be as good as touted.

So while I'm excited about these kids (and that's what they are, kids), I'm trying to be a realist regarding expectation. I'll defer to others regarding how good individual players are and will look forward to seeing for myself. Regardless, I'm as excited about KU basketball as I've ever been.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

"....Jones and recent KU signee Josh Selby have been friends since meeting at the Nike Hoops Jamboree a few years back.

“He’s anxious for me to join him (at KU),” Jones said Saturday. “He feels it would be best for both of us. Possibly, we could do great things there.”....."

Read this how you want. But, the "...He's anxious for me to join him..." part of this quote suggests that they have discussed this fairly recently. And it suggests from the word "anxious" that it is something that they mutually expect. If Selby merely hoped that Jones would follow him, the quote from Jones would probably been something like "...Josh hopes I will join him..." or "...Josh wants me to join him...". Anxious implies "looking forward to" as in a done deal. Hope my analysis is correct.

This also demonstrates Selby's leadership and level of respect from other players like Jones. Wow, a new floor leader, how will we be able to wait to see this phenom?

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

This quote is from the postgame press conference at the Jordan Brand Classic. So we can read it however we like, but based on this quote their discussion wasn't any more recent than that.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Last Saturday is recent enough for me, as far as a quote from Jones is concerned. Hard to believe he would just be saying this for Selby's sake. Now, the whole "official visit" thing is a little odd, timing-wise. But, why would he make a visit, even though he said he just wanted to "..use it". A Sunday through Tuesday visit to Lawrence will surely not just be to satisfy some urge to get out of Portland for a couple of days. He's coming to soak in the "Chalk" and to see his new digs.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

yeah, not down-playing the significance of the visit or anything.

GilbertAZ 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe Self was "holding" a scholarship for Lamb and not Jones. It's been widely reported that Jones elimanated KU from his list of schools a long time ago. It's only now becouse Selby commited that Jones is interested in us again. If the roles had been reversed, you would probably wonder, "if Lamb was that good, why would Self hold a scholarship for Jones and not Lamb?"

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

he had offered Lamb a scholarship and not Jones. So in essence, he was "holding" one for him and didn't have one to offer Jones. And Selby was a heavy Kansas lean for a long time, so you would have thought Jones would have been interested.

The point wasn't that neither Lamb or Jones are great high school players. They both are. The point was that if we are to believe that Jones is a "once in a decade" kind of player, and we were recruiting Selby, and it was known that Selby & Jones are tight...why would Self have not had the full-court press on recruiting Jones all along. It was more to debunk the "once in a decade" comment.

DENDK24 10 years, 1 month ago

Sweetness34 previously writes,

"ha... all i be sayin is ma boy jonesy aint be comin down thr... yall straight start bangin madness... ma crew rolls green so i got no story wit ya all... call it straight iz jus lettin ya be n on the truth... but like i told em, I'll b back in a week n weze see who's callin shots and who's just soft... 2 to da 3 black... out

but straight up losin if ur gonna say boyz comin thr... you don't know tis game posey"

All though I don't speak fluent idiot (I only took a few years of idiot in high school) I've at least gathered that it's no suprise that Sweetness hasn't come back to join us after this new development with Jones.

Sweetness please come back. Your harder to decode than the Zodiak. I need more clues to your identity.

Kevin John 10 years, 1 month ago

Who told me last Winter that Kansas was no longer recruiting Terrence? LOL I can't remember......Jayhawks Love Portland's Jefferson High School and their players. There will be more Oregon State Titles and Players that will follow suit of Jones. I hope Michael Lee and Aaron Miles were able to speak to TJ about KU's Passion and Love for The Game.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

probably KeithMiles05...I know he's pretty big on telling people things he thinks he knows, or hears. I know he posted this earlier today when there was a bit about Jones's mom saying no visit was scheduled:

"He's been rumored for some time to go with Washington. This really isn't that big of news"

He also posted this before the Jordan Brand Classic:

"T. Jones is NOT considering KU. His high school coach said Jones has no interest with KU trying to get back into the mix with him"

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

ict,

You of all persons should like the way Jones "looks." :-)

Seriously, Terrence Jones appears to be everything NBA GM's wet dreamed Julian Wright might become.

He is not quite in Durant's league, because he does not seem to have the trey from outer space.

But has the ball handling gene.

And he is 6-8 and 220 before Hudy.

If Jones stays at the 3, or muscles up to play the 4, he's just another good college player.

But if Self will take the plunge with this guy and put him at the 2, the way Jud Heathcote once gave Magic the green light to play the point, that is, throw away the stupid mold that says 2s have to be 6-3 and 185, then take his chances with Selby/EJ at the point, goes small at the 2 occassionally with Tyshawn and Tyrel, Terrence Jones could be an absolute monster.

The strategic dynamic is simple.

If Jones can shoot even 38% from trey, no opponent has a two that could guard Jones. 6-8 vs. 6-3 wins everywhere on the floor on offense and everywhere on defense.

On offense, the tactical dynamic is equally simple.

Half of every game opponents will play zone rather than try to guard Jones m2m.

KU happens to have a 47% three point shooter in Tyrel Reed who replaces Jones, while Marcus/Little comes out and Brady, shooting 40-43% enters. KU rips the opponent apart until they come out of the zone. Jones and Marcus/Little re-enter.

But if Self plays Jones at the 3 and 4, Jones is just another long, athletic guy with a decent trey.

If Self doesn't want to switch over to full contact XTreme Ball next year, he has to create some order of magnitude match up advantage based on length and athleticism.

The 2 position is the weakest link in most top teams, because it is the most undersized link.

What truly separated the undefeated 1976 Indiana from everyone else it played was 6-7 Bobby Wilkerson at the two. He was not a great scorer. But he was a great defender and he use lenght and athleticism to shut off 2 position players all season long.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

haha...what do u mean "me of all people?"

I think the fact that you admit he's not in Durant's league proves he's not a "once in a decade" type player, since we've seen someone better less than a decade, less than half-a-decade!, prior.

Not knocking the kid at all, just trying to ratchet down the hyperbole.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

The 6-7 to 6-8 two is one of the rarest, and most awesome weapons in basketball.

Frankly, I underestimated Jones' worth if he could play the 2.

At the 2, Terrence Jones would be one of those once in 20-30 year players at a school.

Is it likely that Self will put him at the 2?

No. The chance is remote.

But the chance of Jones coming to KU to play the 3, or 4 is actually pretty remote, too.

The smart play for Terrence Jones in the corrupt age of the game that we live in is to use KU's interest to enrich the offers from the schools that he has been seriously considering for most of the season.

Finally, there is one more thing to recall about Terrence Jones. He's from Portland. And after a short run of players coming to KU from Portland (Aaron Miles, Mike Lee and Rod Stewart), KU has lost out on Singler, and has gotten relatively little consideration from Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross.

Why?

Well, first, Aaron Miles and Mike Lee are the dark ages.

Second, Rod Stewart got pine time at KU, which did nothing for KU's cred in Portland.

Third, Singler clearly stiffed KU, when KU's last bout with infractions occurred around the time Singler was choosing, which did nothing for KU's cred in Portland.

Fourth, Kurtis Townsend, who once had the Midas touch with Portland recruits, became associated for a time with sleazy recruiting tactics and quite a few negative recruiting events related to Portland players. A writer in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps at a Portland newspaper, even did a serious hatchet job on Townsend. The story was linked on the UK fan web site that tried to smear KU's program to take eyes and minds off what was going on at UK.

So: there are a lot of reasons Jones crossed us off his list.

But Cole is hardly one of them. Playing with Cole would have been a plus for Jones.

And X seems like an unlikely trigger.

X was always likely to jump and so it would have made sense for Jones to come for a visit, because X probably would jump.

I suspect Jones crossed KU off the list for some of the reasons mentioned above. And because he had a deal worked out with another school probably has become untenable for reasons we cannot know. And because he just doesn't feel a good fit with Self.

My worry about Jones is that he might come to KU for the wrong reason. Coming to be with Selby is a stupid reason to come to KU, unless Jones is incredibly immature and insecure.

Jones ought to come to KU, because he wants great coaching, a lot of talent around him, a school/social experience that he will enjoy with, or without, Selby, and because he understands that Self needs a tall 2 or 3 in a big way and that those positions are his quickest ticket to the L.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 1 month ago

Roderick Stewart was from Seattle. Don't know if that makes a difference with your point about credibility in Portland, or if you are merely lumping the Pacific Northwest together.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Ralster -

Isn't that your old avatar that up4par2000 is using? If not, it may be the same person, different outfit.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm not complaining! You obviously have great taste and share similar interests with Ralster and myself. It just reminded me of his old one.

Kevin John 10 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate

Rodrick Stewart is from Seattle Rainier Beach High School, and has two more brothers (twins) attending there that should be on Kansas' radar. Take out your google fingers and peep game. You may like what you see.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Throwing this out there. I think Taylor transfers if we land this guy.

Theutus 10 years, 1 month ago

Why would Taylor transfer over us signing a 6'8 forward?

If he was going to consider transferring, it'd be over the signing of Selby.

DENDK24 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor wouldn't transfer, he would go to the Leauge, whether any of us think he's ready or not, there is some interest out there. Why would he sit out a year of college when he could be a low second round pick and sit on an NBA bench instead.

Robert Brock 10 years, 1 month ago

From what I've seen of Jones, he appears to be a slightly less athletic version of Julian Wright, though that may not be a great comparison. He has solid basketball IQ, comfortability handling the ball and dishing in traffic, decent shooter, nice post moves, finishes around the rim well. I think we should tap the breaks a bit on all the talk that he'll walk right in and be a standout on the wing. He will have to prove to Self that he can defend smaller and quicker wings, and that is something that similar players during Self's tenure have failed to show - Wright, Morris, etc. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but it could take time and patience.

What an incredible recruiting class this would be if Self can reel him in. Remember... Selby made the comment a few weeks ago that if Jones made a visit, he would commit.

Dan Cook 10 years, 1 month ago

I think anyone that doesn't think Jones has been interested in KU all along is simply wrong. He wanted an offer from KU last summer. When he didn't get one, he removed us and moved on, but I contend with the hope that something could change. The fact we have a scholarship, coupled with Selby (and Self's propensity for late additions), has created the change that puts us in the hunt.

As for whether Mom is coming, I just took this report as being accurate. If it's not, good for us.

Cindy Heidorn 10 years, 1 month ago

says she is not joining him on Sunday...no mention of Monday...just saying.

duanep5ku 10 years, 1 month ago

icthawkfan316 I do understand your logic and your concern about Terrence's hype on here but keep this in mind should he decide on Kansas. He's still a top 10 player in the country by some recruiting services and Terrence would be another strong recruit for Kansas and Self, It would be a major get for Kansas with the national media as well as Kansas getting one of the top 5 player's at his position.

icthawk316 It would be a publicity positive win for KU in the national media battle as well. Terrence game deserves the hype somewhat because he has the 6'8 size, which would cause a nightmare match up for most teams. Also keep in mind how much UK wants Terrence Jone's or CJ Leslie to fill their much needed spot next season. I also think most UK people think Terrence is better then CJ overall. I think Jones is better then CJ also so if KU gets Terrence at KU that could be an even exchange at that spot between the two schools. I know what the rankings say about the guards two but do you think Brandon is a better guard then Josh Selby? icthawkfan316 Terrence is a slasher,rebounder type player and him and Josh could really shine playing on the same team. I think Xavier was ranked high and had the hype but keep in mind X was good but he was 3rd option and only started going inside late in the season. Terrence would bring a tougher presence to Kansas then X so forget his rankings because he will bring a total game to the table wherever he goes. Oh" about the recruiting him we only knew about the open scholarship being available recently, and I think the Josh choosing KU last week made this possible. So let's hope Bill can bring it home this weekend because this would be a major game changer for our recruiting.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Hey man, no doubt on this kid being a great high school player with tons of potential and that getting him would be a major recruiting victory & feather in Bill Self's cap. I hope we get him, I'm just not quite ready to name him a collegiate All-American and hang his jersey in the rafters.

As for how he'll fair at the next level (i.e. "Terrence would bring a tougher presence"), it's all speculative. This is what rivals.com had to say about Xavier Henry coming out of high school:

"A do everything guard at 6-foot-6, Henry has the tools to be a star at the highest level. He is a prolific scorer with a complete arsenal of scoring moves. And with his size and athleticism, he can defend as well as rebound with the big boys."

Now would anyone say that description fit his game at KU to a T? Probably not, particularly the "do everything guard" and the "compete arsenal of scoring moves" comments. We have the advantage of having X's freshman season to compare to the evaluation of him coming out of high school. Does anyone KNOW that Jones is a tougher presence? That he'll display nice post moves? That he'll be able to drive to the hole better than X? I'm just saying what a few other posters have said, and that's that we should ease up a bit on the hype and expectations. If for no other reason, than to be fair to him. Consider all the hype X had last year, and then the backlash that we saw from a lot of fans as he failed to live up to our lofty expectations. Just let this young man come in and show us what he can do, rather than us telling him what he should be able to do.

Andrew Moore 10 years, 1 month ago

Xavier Henry gets a bad rap from posters on this board

He was the 2nd leading scorer on a team that spent most of the season ranked #1.

X was never asked to be THE guy here. He deferred to Sherron and Cole, just as he was more than likely told to do. X will be a great NBA player, and you guys will love him then...

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

agreed on X getting a bad rap. I have nothing but respect for X and the way he handled himself here at KU. He never pouted, never complained. He worked hard on the aspects of his game that he needed to improve upon (he became a solid defender late in the year). When he went through his mid-season slump he didn't point fingers or whine abouit his role to the press. He just kept trying to help the team by doing other things.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 1 month ago

Just remind him that "the skies are not cloudy all day" is true, unlike Portland, and he should be sold.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, I think it is a stretch to think that a kid won't come from Portland to KU just because the last one or two, or three did not see playing time. The reverse of that is that he might have a chip on his shoulder to prove that Talent DOES come out of Portland and HE WILL prove it and WILL be a FRESHMAN STARTER! So, you puny analysis does not hold water...at all. Why don't you go tell tear down the Mizzu program somewhere.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Living in Lawrence, Kansas ....Living in Portland, Oregon.........I would pick PTown. .

Living in Lawrence as a KU Jayhawk basketball player........Living in Lexington, KY, or anywhere else and playing basketball.......OBVIOUS pick is Lawrence!!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

Jones is a long-shot, unlike Selby. Really, I am completely satisfied with our roster without Jones. Jones would bring a very interesting and athletic add:

1. Selby
  2. EJ
  3. Jones
  4. Marcus 4a. Robinson

I had Releford at the 3 before the Jones talk and said this lineup would be freaky athletic. Adding Jones, I guess it would make it freaky, freaky athletic ... I dare say more athletic than the 2007 (with Wright) or 2008 groups.

Also, all this Mario Little love in this thread and others has me a bit puzzled. I'm not sure what evidence we have that Mario will be a solid 3. I'll take it, but I see it as a big question mark (along with our three point shooting).

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

I just think there's slightly more evidence that he'll be better than Releford. Yes, Releford appears to be more athletic, which is...nice. It makes him a slightly more appealling option for a run-and-gun, fast-paced game in the open floor. However, even for teams that play fast far less than half of the possessions are played in the open floor. I think the fact that Releford saw his playing time dwindle two seasons ago as the season played out and that Little at maybe 75-80% saw increased minutes heading into the tournament was evidence enough that Little was a better player at that point. You can make the argument that it was because he saw time at the 4, which is true, although there were times where he was out there with Cole & one of the Twins and played the 3. However, Little is the same height as Releford and not much bulkier, so this would suggest he is tougher and a superior rebounder. We all know that Little had a better shooting stroke, and I think it's fair to say that he had a far more polished game. So, just basing it off what we saw two seasons ago, you can have a guy in Little who will be more effective in a greater percentage of the offensive possessions, who is a tougher, more physical player capable of helping out on the boards to a far greater extent, and if we are to believe the article from this site from back in February is capable of defending almost anyone on the floor (his quote "I’ve got to stick with Marcus (Morris) a lot because sometimes the other guys really can’t. Sometimes I might guard X (Xavier Henry), Sherron (Collins), Cole (Aldrich) … everybody. I still do stuff at the 2, at the 3, the 4. I’m doing a lot"). Or you can have a guy like Releford, who is best in a smaller percentage of the offensive possessions, and who's best asset is his ability to get to the rim. That's a good skill to have, although we have Selby, EJ, & to a lesser extent Tyshawn who are all proficient at that, and I don't think it makes him a more attractive option than Little and what he showed he can do.

Now, obviously a lot can change in two seasons. We don't know how much either of these guys has improved. My personal opinion is that Little has the edge, given that he had a greater starting point (his abilities two seasons ago vs that of Releford) and because he is more experienced and seasoned from his time spent at Chipola Community College.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

"Basketball Jones"!

Great reference, whoever you were that posted that earlier. I just remembered the song. May be a little too dated and non-pc for today's world though.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 1 month ago

UW huskie fans are claiming hes going there since he was spotted in a UW hat.... have to remind them lamb was walkin around with a ku lid.

ABeesus 10 years, 1 month ago

"6-8 vs. 6-3 wins everywhere on the floor on offense and everywhere on defense."-J bate So we shouldn't take Selby.

"When does too much talent become a problem?" Jayhawkjoe That's why Wooden's teams never won.

Always take the best talent that's not a headcase!

rickjay 10 years, 1 month ago

There is the problem. How to tell who is a headcase and who isn't. We've had quit a few through the years.

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Chicago Bears '85 didn't have too much talent, Washington Senators 1925 didn't have too much talent, Santa Anna on day 6 when his big guns rolled into San Antonio didn't have too many guns. just sayin'.

If you are top 50 talent and want garunteed PT then go to Creighton or Wichita State, if you want to play, practice, learn from the best, then find a top 10 program.

Watching TJones UTube, Big 12 coaches said, "we are going to need a bigger boat."

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

The more I read and the more I consider our roster for next year, regardless of Jones or any other player that we may sign, I think Coach Self is going to have to deviate (some-what) from his love of the High-Low game he's always run (or tried to). He did get away from it a bit last year but for the most part, it's his system...it's the one he trusts the most. I have visions of Hinrich and company in Roy's last year...PUSH, RUN, PUSH, RUN...run on defensive boards, run on opponents makes...this roster is going to be built for speed, much like the team (actually, MORE so) he inherited from Roy. I think that even Coach Self would admit that he should have adapted to those players more than he did that first year. Is he going to do that this year? Or does he even need to? I don't see Withey as that high-low player...and I don't think that Robinson is ready for that responsibility. I admit that I tend to over analyze but hey, it's fun.

Am I nuts? Am I seeing things differently than everyone else?

Andrew Moore 10 years, 1 month ago

I think the morris twins are perfect for the high low. Guys have to guard marcus at the elbow, which opens things up for markieff. I think that Robinson and Withy may not have been great last year but I think another year will be good for them.

The thing about the high low is that its either a dunk or a turnover, and last year we had a lot of turnovers because guys were too slow to make their move to the basket after receiving the entry pass.

I hope that we get out and run, but some teams are great at muddying the game and making you play in the half court. I think we'll be fine either way.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 1 month ago

Who will redshirt next year or maybe even transfer if Jones comes also? There would be enough potential talent and proven talent then any KU team has ever had imo. 40 min. will not be enough.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

well...in Self's defense he did recruit players that won a National Championship against Calipari's dribble-drive offense. Also if he gets Jones to come here, I'd say he's doing just fine recruiting.

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Not trying to be contradictory bro, but I believe that the players that won us our National Championship, for the most part (Chalmers was Roy's boy...not a blip on the Illinois radar) were actually Roy recruits that Self KEPT. Those players said yes to Roy, and then OK to Self. Maybe my memory is incorrect...but I believe that all from Chalmers class were Roy recruits...

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Um, sorry but you're dead wrong. Jeremy Case was the only one of Roy's recruits still left on the '08 Championship team. Do the math. Roy left after the '03 championship game loss to Syracuse. His last recruiting class was Jeremy Case, Omar Wilkes, David Padgett, & J R Giddens. Those are the players that said yes to Roy, then OK to Self (and in the case of Wilkes, Padgett, & Giddens said "good-bye" to Self). Self came in for the '03-'04 season, his first with KU. His first recruiting class was Russell Robinson, Darnell Jackson, & Sasha Kaun. Check it out. Their freshman year was the '04-'05 season, Self's second year at KU. Chalmers & Rush were part of Self's second recruiting class (along with Julian Wright & Micah Downs).

92Jhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Sorry bro, guess I missed that one. I don't know why, but I thought that Sasha, Darnell and Robinson said yes to Roy and came after he left? I REALLY missed Chalmers but for some reason I thought all of these guy's said they were coming before Coach Self got here...I'm getting old!

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Hey no problem bro. Just making sure Self gets the credit he deserves!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

Ralster: It would have been interesting to see how this team would have done this past season without X, and with the Little/Releford combo. I hope Mario turns out to be the real deal. He's invested 2 years into this program with little PT to show for it. He deserves it. It would be an incredibly tough blow to him if we sign Jones.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

I hate to bring a downer message but as much as KU has to offer, TJ's visit isn't timed to show off what being a Jayhawk truly means [ No game day atmosphere, no fans camped out, no exposure to Allen at it's best ].

To KU's credit, I think we will register a close second with Terrence but let's all take a deep breath and face facts:

1] Mom wants Washington and Lorenzo Romar for her son. 2] WU has almost guaranteed PT for Terrence. 3] KU has almost a guaranteed battle for PT. 4] Playing with the other Terrence will almost balance out not playing with Josh. 5] Taking final trip to KU just to verify that Washington will be the right choice. 6] MOM Linda not coming along indicates a huge red flag not in KU's favor.

Props to Josh for a fine effort but everybody better be happy with the roster we have because I think we're done for 2010.....hope with all my heart I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

I agree. On the one hand it's nice to think "why bother making a visit this late if he doesn't want to come here?", but you're dead on with your reasons to be doubtful. The deal with playing with Terrence Ross...I know it's been discussed and maybe I just missed an answer to the dilemma, but UW only has one scholarship to offer too, right? Maybe there's something in place, of course maybe Self's got something in the works too. I think in the end, it will come down to does Jones want to play for KU more than Washington, and if so, does he want it enough that it would over-rule his mom's wishes?

P.S. Not that I think it has much impact on the Terrences, but did everyone see Oregon apparently has FINALLY hired a coach? Reportedly Dana Altman of Creighton is their new coach. Of course, he could renege on the agreement in a day or so like he did a few years ago after accepting the Arkansas job. At any rate, quite a change from trying to get the likes of Tom Izzo, Jamie Dixon, Tubby Smith, Brad Stevens, & Billy Donovan.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

"6-8 vs. 6-3 wins everywhere on the floor on offense and everywhere on defense."-J bate "So we shouldn't take Selby."--ABeesus

If 6-8 Terrence Jones plays the point like Magic Johnson, or even like 6-3 Josh Selby, forget Selby and every other 6-3 point guard you would be wasting your flippin' time with recruiting. Capice?

But the T-Man is not a PG candidate. He is a "hybrid 4" according to recruiting gurus who don't know significantly more than an average fan about who has to the tools to break out of the stupid mold he's been put in by a high school coach, which in 80% of cases, cannot think his way out of a paperbag.

The question with Terrence Jones is: could this guy adapt his game to the 2 position and revolutionize it and from what I have seen, expecially in the age of XTreme Posession basketball during conference and Maddness seasons, Terrence Jones is like this perfect weapon for the kind of 2 I am talking about.

It is soooooooooo hard for people to take of their lenses from the previous 10-20 years, when the rules change. The game is not the same as it was even in 2008. It is now an XTreme Possession Ball game. Great size wins. Fouling wins. Hand checking wins. Trey shooting wins. Muscle defense wins. Being bigger, fouling more, shooting better, free throwing better. These are the keys to victory now. Open court speed and athleticism is useless in the current game unless that open court speed, length and athleticism is also bigger, stronger and tougher!!!

At the 4, and even at the 3, Terrence Jones is a full two offseasons of Hudyizing from being able to perform big time in the Madness. Terrence Jones needs 25 pounds of muscle to play the 4. He needs 10-15 to play the three with real advantage. Playing the 3 at 6-8 and 220 just means he's another Xavier that opponents can push around, get up and under, and foul to the point that he can't get to the rim.

But put Terrence Jones at the 2, and suddenly everything is different and he is suddenly a monster problem for opponents right out of the box.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't know that it is as much a case of players been put into a mold by people that can't coach their way out of a wet paper bag, or that anyone (coaches, fans, talent evaluators at recruiting services) is trapped by conventional thinking that tells them "this kid has to play position x." I think the main thing is that there is one characteristic in athletes that is un-coachable: height. In both college & high school, most teams don't have a vast selection of bigs to plug in the post to go get them a rebound. Most coaches covet rebounding, as it is viewed as a measure of a team's toughness. And nearly every team shoots under 50% from the floor (only 2 teams shot over 50% for the year in '09-'10), so that means that over half of shots put up from the floor end up needing to be rebounded. So in high school or college, do you put a 6'8" guy like Jones at the 2 and stick your 6'3" shooting guard in the paint? Do you slide the 2 down to the 3, and the 3 down to the 4? You talk about what a match-up nightmare an athletic 6'8" guy like Jones would be at the 2, but by putting him at the 2 are you creating disadvantages for your team both in terms of rebounding and with match-ups at other positions?

We can see this dilemma at KU right now. Marcus Morris could potentially create match-up problems at the 3, but he is the team's most proficient scoring threat in the post. It's a question Coach Self will ask himself this upcoming season: is my team better with creating match-up problems with Marcus at the 3 and some combination of Kieff, TRob, & Withey in the post, or is it better with Little/Releford at the 3, Marcus at the 4, and either Kieff, TRob, or Withey playing alongside Marcus in the post?

KU next season could be an exception to such restraints, at least as it relates to Jones should he sign. Next season we are looking at having an embarrassement of riches on our roster, and would not suffer match-up disadvantages by playing Jones at the 2. Again though, it's will be a question for Self as to what better serves his team. With the question being to play Jones at the 2, 3, or 4, the line-up permutations are too many for me to list as examples, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying. Now, the question you posed regarding Terrence is the most relevant to such a debate: can he adapt his game to the 2? Maybe, maybe not. I guess first let's see if Self can reel him in.

P.S. I just noticed a second comment about how a player "looks." I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what I had posted that leads you to characterize my views as being based largely on how a player "looks". Feel free to refresh my memory.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

ict,

At the 2, this guy is once in a couple decades.

And as I spelled out above, the timing is perfect for him.

Everyone in the game is still stuck looking backwards.

Everyone is wet dreaming about length and athleticism restoring an uptempo, open court game.

I don't see this happening until the refs change the foul calling.

SoCalAlum 10 years, 1 month ago

Interesting to note that UW has one scholarship available...see official UW site - 12 scholarships available per team, right - so, eleven players listed with one scholarship left apparently, even though two players left the team earlier in April (Elston Turner and Clarence Trent). http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041610aac.html

Their two returning main guards (Thomas and Gaddy) seem to be competent D1 players...and this is a team that is only losing one very good player (Pondexter) and that got to the Sweet 16. Unless another UW player gets thrown under the bus (like Calipari did - I think four players left immediately after his UK hire) I'd think T Jones and not T Ross would get the one offer.

And, you've got to figure that Oregon will get to make a last-minute pitch to both Terrences (now that Oregon hired Dana Altman...and assuming he's still there later this week).

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Each team gets 13 scholarships per year, so UW has 2 to give if they only have 11 spoken for...

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't matter how many they have available. When you have players the quality UW might land, you make scholarship space available, as needed, by showing someone the door. That's how it works.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Totally off topic:

Cole threw out the first pitch today at the Royals/Twins game in KC. He wore a Royals jersey with #45 on it. I thought he was doing this because he is from Minn. and was a Twins fan.

Anybody have more info?

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Cold and sort of wet outside.... Larrytown has plenty of hippies.... Much like Portland.... Without the ocean, and heroin junkies, and homeless children, but we might have a chance....

jcsmith 10 years, 1 month ago

Yep. Weather sux today here in Lawrence. Hoping for an article on how the visit is going. As said before, this would be a Grand Slam if we landed this kid. Royce, Selby and Jones. DAMN.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

dynamitehawk (anonymous) says…

So: you work for the Portland Chamber of Commerce, eh? :-)

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

"Some Recruiting Tricks Used by Bill Self to Compensate for the Current Bad Weather in Lawrence:"

~Contacts frat brother now working for US Air Force Weather Command at the HAARP installation in Gakona, AK and asks him to park a high pressure center over Lawrence while Terrence Jones is in town.

~Rounds up the players' moms living in Lawrence and tells them to cook enormous amounts of soul food simultaneously to try to heat the atmosphere locally.

~Contacts BeakofLight in Iraq and asks him to scavenge one of the US Army's microwave crowd control devices and asks him to give a fifth of Glenn FIddich to a pal of his in the US Air Transport Command to have the microwave pod air-dropped onto the roof of Allen Field House by a C-5A for this weekend. Self has some KU student computer science geeks reprogram the microwave pod to give Terrence Jones hallucinations of Jennifer Lopez dancing topless in a grass skirt under a palm tree next to the Phog Allen Statue.

~Tells Cin to go buy enough furniture to furnish the last 15000sf of the new house in hopes the radioactive credit cards generate a heat dome over Lawrence.

~Has Jueneman and Buford dress up like tribal chiefs from New Guinea and keep repeating how hot it is.

~Has Jones blindfolded at KCI, then has KU art students paint the inside of Allen Field House as an Easter Island scene.

~Has Dooley program the overhead scoreboard to keep flashing "hot," "hot," "hot" through out Jones' visit.

~Asks KU coeds to come to Allen Field House in bikinis and start shouting "surfs up, Terrence!"

~Convinces Chancellor Bernadette Grey-Little to watusi at a banquet for Jones.

~Shuts off the coolant system for the baby nuclear reactor at Learned to create a Chinette Syndrome that heats things up for a couple of days.

~Says, "Terrence, I ain't lyin' to ya. It gets cold around here. But if you play for KU, I will personally get you a goose down comforter and a Martha Stewart Flannel Duvet."

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

knock knock, 'excuse me coach, I know you are with Mr. Jones, but K. Pritchard, Portland Trailblazers, is on line 3 wants to catch up.; Plus your pal from the Spurs wants you to call him to get your perspective on couple Big 12 guys they are considering in the 1st round. ' "That's fine, that's fine", replies, coach. "Now Mr. Jones, have a chair and review with me what you are looking for in a university?" "what is it you are hoping to find?'

"Terrence, describe for me your ideal environment. tell me what is it you are searching for?"

meantime let's go to the court and if we leave the lights off we can play dribble catch with Paul Endacott. Charlie Black and some of the boys.

"is this heaven?"

' it's AFH'

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate -

I can't remember the last time I actually saw "watusi" in print! Thanks for the memories!

dynamitehawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate,

I'm not really against Portland or the Pacific Northwest at all. In fact, the weather has gotten to me, and perhaps I am depressed.. However, 'Portland' taken apart, is Port and Land. They are really opposites, making Portland a oxymoron ... Much like dynamite and hawk. I really have no point, but I am looking forward to next season, man.