Friday, April 23, 2010

Aldrich to throw out first pitch at Royals-Twins game

Kansas junior Cole Aldrich, left, is congratulated by coach Bill Self after Aldrich and Sherron Collins were named co-winners of the Danny Manning/Mr. Jayhawk award at the KU men’s basketball banquet. Aldrich is trying to decide what he'll wear for the cameras during the NBA draft Thursday.

Kansas University junior basketball center Cole Aldrich will throw out the ceremonial first pitch when his hometown Minnesota Twins meet the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 p.m. Sunday at Kauffman Stadium.

“I was too tall to play football and baseball, but this will be fun,” said the 6-foot-11 Aldrich, a native of Bloomington, Minn.

“I may have to practice a time or two before Sunday and get some tips from C.J. (Henry) since he played pro ball.”

KU guard C.J. Henry played four years of minor-league baseball prior to heading to KU this past season.

“Being from the Twin Cities, I’ve always loved the Twins,” Aldrich said. “Having been at Kansas for the past three years, I have become a Royals fan as well because it’s close to catch a game.”

Jones to choose next week: Terrence Jones, a 6-8 senior forward from Jefferson High in Portland, Ore., will announce his college decision a week from today, his mother, Linda Mashia-Jones, told the Oregonian newspaper.

Rivals.com’s No. 13-rated player in the Class of 2010 has a final list of Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Kentucky, Oklahoma and KU.

He has not yet made a campus visit to KU, and his mom said no visit was scheduled.

Chol cuts two: Angelo Chol, a 6-8 junior center from Hoover High in San Diego, eliminated UCLA and Florida on Thursday and now has a final list of five schools, Rivals.com reported.

Chol, who will compete at the three-day Jayhawk Invitational, which starts a week from today at Horejsi Center, Haskell and other gyms in town, lists KU, Alabama, UConn, Georgetown and Washington.

The Sudan native averaged 16.1 points , 13.1 rebounds and 8.4 blocks a game his junior season.

KU coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend attended Chol’s open-gym workout Wednesday and also visited Winston Shepard, a 6-7 sophomore from Findlay Prep in Las Vegas.

He’s considering KU, UNLV, UCLA, Kentucky, Arizona, Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Indiana and others.

Vitale to speak Wednesday: ESPN’s Dick Vitale will be featured speaker Wednesday at Washburn University’s Lecture Series (7 p.m., Lee Arena).

Tickets are available for both the lecture and a VIP banquet (5 p.m. to 6:45) by calling 785-670-1723 or stopping by the Student Activities & Greek Life Office in the Washburn Memorial Union. All proceeds go to Coaches vs Cancer.

Guests will include KU coaches Self and Bonnie Henrickson, and Kansas State’s Frank Martin and Deb Patterson.

Comments

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

I'd say things aren't looking good in terms of bringing in Jones. If he's not even planning on making a visit, he's all but crossed us off of his list. All along it seems as if his mom has had no interest in Terrence coming to Kansas. I find it hard to believe any top prospect would sign with Oregon given that they have no coach. Oklahoma seems like a long shot too with the looming NCAA investigation, especially considering they are still on probation. So it's probably down to UCLA, Washington, & Kensucky. For the sake of keeping the Kensucky trolls off of these boards, I hope its UCLA or Washington. No big loss, as we have a pretty stacked roster. Just was exciting to think about bringing in another highly touted recruit.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 6 months ago

He's been rumored for some time to go with Washington. This really isn't that big of news.

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

This the same rumor mill that told us "Selby and Lamb to KU. This is what people who follow AAU and even some other recruits are saying." ? Guess you were half-right.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

The big news is that Dickie V will be at Washburn! Who else has been at their lecture series, Octomom, Jaybate, that kid who played McLovin?

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

Second topic:

Who was the last signee who never visited the campus? This could be spun as a good thing.

Final topic:

Cole - practice a "submarine" pitch. It would be a great touch from a big guy like you.

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

Just don't do anything to hurt yourself...Throw it in the stands or whatever...but keep yourself healthy!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

ccarp -

Ding, Ding, Ding...you win a cookie! Yes, it was JuJu. And look what he meant to the program. Anything's possible!

C'mon Terrance, follow your fellow Portlanders to Kansas!

ldjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Don't understand why Jones said last week that we would come for a visit, and in a flash of a few days it's all off. Somebody, something have played a part. Don't think we will get him. But we have a talented group competing on "3" anyway. Maybe better team atmosphere without another one-and-done.

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

Because he's something like 17 or 18 years old....

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

i'm frankly surprised that no visit has been scheduled. that being said, and these things seem to be quite fluid, Mr. Jones' mother's comments, may be premature.

after the Jordan game last week, he talked about a visit this weekend...or the next weekend....which means April 30, May 1 and May 2. which is beyond her deadline.

so i would say it ain't really over yet...and maybe, since the KU coaches are on the road...the contact hasn't really been made. there is still some hope here.

OlatheJHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Rivals has KU listed (as of yesterday) as the top pick for Terrence Ross. ESPN has KU listed as the second choice behind Kentucky. I think that we still may land another player for next year.

Darshana Benhur 10 years, 6 months ago

There is still a slight possibility that Xavier might come back since he hasn't signed with an agent yet that we know off and that might be not be helping terrence.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

As for Cole throwin utthe first pitch. Will he throw from second base instead of home plate and treat it as one of his long down court out let passes? Maybe they could get Sherron to catch for him, you know for old times sake.

ldjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

@darshben: come on X is gone we all know it, unless a B-Rush type of thing happens (which true KU fans wouldn't want) of course.

duanep5ku 10 years, 6 months ago

I think Terrence Jones mom is the problem here because for some reason she seems to be against her son coming to Kansas. I think the UK money train bug is in her ear or she wants her son to go to UW which would be more understanding then UK but who knows at this point with her I hope Terrence Jones chooses UW if not KU but I'm afraid UK is the most likely place for him because at UK he will be the starter at his position most likely. Xavier, has no agent yet, I thought he was going to sign with one, has anyone on here herd anything about that yet? CJ still here at KU that could be a good thing for KU if he stays at Kansas and stays healthy because we do need a good shooter outside.

Joel Hood 10 years, 6 months ago

If Terrance Jones sees himself as a OAD or 2 year guy, KU probably doesn't look too appealing with the twins, TRob, & Withey in the mix. I know he is listed as a really big 3, but at 6'8" - those guys (esp. Marcus) would be well in front of him. With Mario & Releford around, next year would likely be a struggle for him to get off the bench as a 3. JMHO - nothing else.

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

We are already set with talent and really don't NEED to add any more players this year. I mean look at these lineups:

PG Josh Selby G Tyshawn Taylor G Mario Little F Marcus Morris C Jeff Withey

PG Josh Selby G Tyshawn Taylor G Marcus Morris F Thomas Robinson C Jeff Withey

PG Josh Selby G Tyshawn Taylor G Elijah Johnson F Marcus Morris F Markieff Morris

PG Josh Selby G Tyshawn Taylor G CJ Henry F Marcus Morris F Jeff Withey

on and on... you can't go wrong. Oh! I also wouldn't get too caught up in Self's earlier comments about Withey. He should have said those things because Withey still needs to earn it. But I fully expect him to start next year. He's gonna be great for us.

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

I expect Woolridge to redshirt this season.

tstanlick1909 10 years, 6 months ago

jchief,

I don't see Withey starting over Kieff.

Any time Selby Taylor and EJ are on the court at the same time I will be foaming at the mouth

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

So true! Talk about the most electric trio of guards I've ever seen in recent memory. 360 between the legs dunks all day from two of them while Taylor prefers to just hang in the air and finish with the smoothness. (passes out)

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

If they can play defense like Rush, RusRob, & Chalmers...I could care less about all the showtime activity. Defense is what we need and I was not impressed with Taylor at all last year defesively.

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

Preaching to the choir. Just saying from a fan-selfish standpoint (to quote Self). I was not impressed with Taylor period last year but I think this will be his year.

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I also don't see Withey starting or earning minutes before Kieff or TRob

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

I know where you both are coming from. Just making a bold prediction here. It's a good problem to have though wouldn't you say? =) I just think when all is said and done Withey win out becuase of his ability to finish around the basket and alter shots around the basket. Blocking machine. T-Rob can crash the boards with the best of them and has freakish athletic talent no doubt. I think we can all agree that the lineup with Mc Morris, T Rob, and Withey would generate lots of rebounds and blocked shots haha.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone else think that Coles pitching motion might be as odd as he free-throw motion? Just wondering.

92Jhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow Cole, big stones bro. I would be shaking in my shoes if I were asked to throw out the first pitch at a Major League baseball game...I suggest a lot of practice because if you make a fool of yourself, it's going to be shown on ESPN over and over and over again.

As for T Jones, I'm not sure why his mother would be against KU as a choice. I know that he lists KU, OU and Kensucky as potential schools but is it possible that his mother just wants to keep him close to home? Maybe schools east of Oregon aren't really in the mix. I think that it's going to be Washington, I just don't see any kid of worth signing with Oregon...they STILL don't have a coach. How arrogant are the powers that be in Duckville? Did they really think that a big time coach was going to sign on the dotted line for cash alone?

As for our big men, I just don't see Whitey as being a player at this point. He looks totally lost to me...when he was on the court this year (which was seldom), he looked like he belonged with the walk-ons in a blow out (which is not an insult to the walk-ons!). While he's not been eligible for long, he's been in the program for over a year. I hope I'm wrong but to me he looks like a poor mans Chenowith. I really think that Robinson can develop into something special, he's so athletic! He reminds me of a more explosive and athletic Alonzo Jamison...and that's saying something (anyone around to see him break the basketball goal during Late Night?). As for Kieff, I see him as more of a four than a five.

Think we'll see this line-up next year?

PG - TT SG - Selby SF - Marcus PF - Keif C - Robinson

I really hope that Coach Self allows Marcus to play the wing some over the next two years...that's where he's going to play at the next level (in my opinion).

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

Selby will be the PG - you can be certain of that (!). Great lineup. I think you are seriously underestimating Withey. Of course when you have Aldrich you keep Withey on the bench. He will put on some weight next year and, again, you will see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Fqnm4Ldsw - he's more than capable. And don't forget Marcus Morris said himself that he thinks Withey can be one of the best to play at Kansas.

92Jhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I sure hope you're right about Withey, I'm looking forward to seeing how well he plays next year and thanks for the link!

As for Selby v TT at the point, I think that if they're on the floor at the same time, Selby will have to play off the ball more so than TT as TT has the worst jumper on the team and Selby can really stroke it! I see the same dynamic we had with R Robinson and Chalmers. TT can't shoot with any consistency...I winced everytime he chucked one last year, he's a guy who's most effective with the ball in his hand, breaking down his defender on the drive and taking it strong (with either hand) to the hoop or dishing to one of our shooters...and I think that Selby will be the best of all of them. Did you hear J Williams say that his range extends to half-court?...but regardless, we are going to be much better than most think.

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I agree Selby's shot is much better - I just was assuming Self recruited Selby to take Sherron's place and therefore PG. We shall see!

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

This is what I had to say about the coaching situation at Oregon a few days ago:

I love seeing Oregon get rejected time and time again. Not because I have any personal disliking of the University, but because the way they went about their search was totally foolish and arrogant. I read an article on espn.com that initially they were only interested in coaches who have won a National Championship. Really? That's Oregon, who has gone 9-27 in a pathetic Pac-10 conference the last 2 years. Oregon, who has made it out of the first weekend of the tournament twice since 1960. What a joke.

I laughed even harder upon learning that now they can't even lure a coach away from that dump of a program Missouri! You know you're a laughingstock when a coach won't leave a program that has managed to finish higher than 5th in the Big 12 only twice since the league's inception (in the '08-'09 season they finished 3rd, and way back in the '98-'99 season under the guidance of Norm Stewart they finished tied for 2nd). But wait, the story gets even funnier. During Misery's team banquet university system president (I have no idea what a "system" president" is. Does KU have one?) Gary Forshee said "We're going to hang a national championship banner in this arena, and it's going to happen because of Mike Anderson." Wow! Talk about two schools that were made for each other! Oregon and Misery do know that they are...well Oregon and Misery right? Try making it to a Final Four Misery before any foolish talk of hanging banners. Jeez. Even lowly Oregon can boast about having won a NCAA Championship, the very first one in fact, back in 1939. To date that is their only Final Four appearance as well.

In the end I was happy to see Mike Anderson turn down the job. I have likened it to Bill Self turning down T. Boone Pickens & his deep pockets a couple of years ago. Oregon apparently thought that they could back up the Brinks truck to whomever their hearts desired, coupled with a new arena, and the cream of the crop of the coaching ranks would be falling all over themselves to accept their offer. It does MY heart good to see that even today, money can't buy everything. And what makes it all that much sweeter for KU fans, is that Oregon's ineptitude is making it that much easier for a couple of kids in their own back yard - Terrence Ross & Terrence Jones - to slip through their fingers and maybe into our laps.

92Jhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Good stuff ICT and my thoughts exactly! Knight and the rest of those in that area live in what I call the Oregon/Washington/Idaho Bubble - (NW used to be a part of my territory and some close friends were coaches at Idaho U a few years ago so I spent a lot of time up there)...it's as if the country revolves around them...I've had this same argument with my dad regarding high profile coaches. He's of the opinion that if Wichita State would pay a coach 3 million a year, they could get a coach the caliber of a Self...money is a PART of the equation, quality of life, ability to recruit and win are most important to elite coaches...history, tradition...those are things that Oregon has little of. Oregon needs to realize what they are at this point...a fair program in a beautiful state, playing in a good BCS conference with little tradition...In my opinion, they should go after a hot young assistant (i.e., a Roy Williams) who can build something special and who will be committed to staying long term.

PS, have you tried to fly to that area of the country? It's not the easiest place to get to...

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

I have not been west of Kansas to be honest with you, so no I haven't tried to fly up there.

Regarding Wichita State, the seem to have some lesser delusions of grandeur, the argument with your dad being a good example. I have a buddy who's a hardcore WSU fan and he's pretty realistic about things. He thinks Coach Marshall has got another year or two there, and then some BCS school will take him from them like A&M did Turgeon a few years back. Bottom line for WSU, the fact that it's a commuter school (students by and large commute to campus and than go home, rather than many school's where a large portion of their students live on campus), that they don't have a football program, and that they are in a non-BCS conference, all will lead to a revolving door with their head coaching position.

Kye Clark 10 years, 6 months ago

for anyone who hasn't seen, there's a new article saying Jones is going to make a visit Sunday

duanep5ku 10 years, 6 months ago

I hope Jeff is ready to start at center or at least play major minutes next season and here's why Kansas fans lets not forget that when Cole was on the bench that a lot of other teams penetrated the middle of our defense pretty easy at times because the MM twins did not scare off the more athletic players. I think we still better hope Jeff can play this year because the MM twins are not a big defensive presence in the middle to stop the elite athletes in the paint. So I believe we will need Jeff ready this year for us to be really good.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree! Withey is no Kleinman. He is quick and will be a different player after working with Danny and whatever he does in the way of a "big-man camp" this summer. He didn't transfer from Arizona to sit on the KU bench for 3 years. True, he'll never match Cole's numbers, but, nobody would expect that. Like you said, we just need him to be ready. 10-20 consistent minutes per game would be such a boost to our talented bench of 6-6+ guys that foul trouble would not even be an issue. Plus I think he'll end up being a great shot-blocker too.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

An important question here: When Cole throws out the first pitch, will Misuse fans be booing him? Given who we're talking about, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't.

Scott MacWilliams 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey Cole, Who says you're too tall to play baseball? I just watched Oregon vs. USC and saw a USC pitcher come in to close the game who was 6'10". He still managed to throw a pitch into the dirt, allowing a runner to score from third, but USC ended up winning in ten innings. Have fun throwing that first pitch, and go ahead and give it all you've got. WHo knows, you might impress some scout there....

Rock Chalk!!