Originally published April 22, 2010 at 11:36a.m., updated April 23, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

NCAA Tournament set to expand to 68 teams, will be carried on a combo of CBS, TBS, TNT and TruTV

All games will be broadcast live; Self likes new format

Bill Self commented on the expansion, saying it would help the NCAA determine whether it should go to 96 teams later on.

— Bill Self and several of his coaching comrades approve of the NCAA’s decision to expand the NCAA Tournament from 65 to 68 teams, starting next season.

“I think expanding to 68 teams is good for our sport. Many people thought it would go to 96 teams, but this will be a good way to see if the tournament needs to move toward 96 teams,” Self, Kansas University’s seventh-year coach, said Thursday after the NCAA announced a 14-year, $10.8 billion deal with CBS and Turner Broadcasting that will begin with an expanded NCAA Tourney in March.

Every game will be broadcast live nationally for the first time in the tournament’s 73-year history. No decision has yet been made on how teams 61 through 68 will be slotted and whether they will be the last eight teams in the field, or the type of squads that occupied the one play-in game the past several years.

“I like the fact that every game will be televised in its entirety. I think that is very good for college basketball," Self said.

Self had said he did not think expanding the tourney to 96 teams was necessarily a good idea.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who was adamant in wanting 96 squads, is OK with 68.

“As a coach, I’d like to see more people get in, but 68 is a good step and the easiest way to have the least amount of turmoil,” Boeheim said. “It’s better than nothing.”

The NCAA had been criticized for all the talk about expanding the field to 96 because of additional missed class time.

“I really was torn myself with what to do, so taking the field to 68 seems like a good step,” said North Carolina coach Roy Williams,. “This will give them time to decide if this is just an intermediate step to a larger event or not. There are so many good teams, and adding three more helps get some of them in the bracket without tarnishing the specialness of the tournament.”

Noted Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski: “With the addition of three more teams to the field, the basic structure of the tournament will not be impacted significantly in the foreseeable future. As a coach, I am very pleased with this result.”

Ninety six teams had been a source of concern for many coaches.

“There is reason to talk about expansion because there’s never been this many good teams as there are now, and parity has never been better at this level than it is now,” Self said.

“Expanding to 96 like there’s been talk about, I don’t see the real benefit of that. If it (expansion) should occur, it should occur to 68 or 72 and maybe have additional play-in type games. I love the tournament the way it is, but I don’t think we should be so shortsighted that it isn’t possible to make it better. It was great at 32, 48 and 54, 65. It’s always gotten better after expansion. I’m just not sure 96 is the answer. For coaches’ job security, that’d be great. As a fan, I don’t know if it’s great for our tournament. I think we should go with what’s best for our tournament.”

In UConn coach Jim Calhoun’s mind, 65 teams was enough.

“There will be more pressure now on teams to make it, but I like the idea of it being special as opposed to not. I’m concerned with messing with something that’s been so good,” Calhoun said.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto said a bigger field isn’t necessarily in the future.

“Everyone says to me it seems like it’s inevitable, but nobody I’ve talked to embraces it,” he said of a 96-team field. “So why is it inevitable?”

This plan now goes to the NCAA Board of Directors next Thursday to approve this plan that is likely to add three more opening-round games — one in each region — to the one that has been played since 2001.

As far as the TV/money portion of this story, the previous TV deal, which gave CBS the broadcast rights for $6 billion over 11 years, would have expired in three years. Both sides had opt-out clauses that had to be exercised by July 31. The NCAAs hope was to create a bidding war and strike a lucrative deal.

CBS Sports won the war, beating out at least an offer from ESPN. What’s new is that CBS will share broadcast rights with Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting System Inc. and its stable of cable channels — TNT, TBS and truTV — from 2011 through 2024.

The NCAA won, too: The new deal will provide an average of $740 million per year that will returned to conferences and schools.

Comments

Bleed_Crimson_Blue 9 years, 9 months ago

I will gladly comment first! No 96-team tournament!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!

beakem_in_LA 9 years, 9 months ago

Glory, glory, Halleluiah! 96 would have been awful. Four play-in games is way better than an entirely new first round.

9 years, 9 months ago

Nice to see clear thinking prevailed. Being able to see our games live in their entirety outside the KC viewing area is awesome.

Eric Sorrentino 9 years, 9 months ago

at least it's not 96...

And the fact that you can watch every game on TV should be a bonus from years past.

Better news than what I thought was coming...

Ryan Wood 9 years, 9 months ago

If this interrupts Operation Repo, I will be pissed.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

please tell me that comment is of the sarcastic nature.

eric1889 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm a huge basketball fan, but Operation Repo is the greatest thing to hit television in a long long time. Where else can you see someone get so mad, because the failed to be responsible?

Ryan Wood 9 years, 9 months ago

Here's a little secret: It's all actors. Look it up.

aerohawk 9 years, 9 months ago

The only good thing on TV is KU basketball.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

wow, this along with eric1889's comment seriously makes me wonder. I would assume those that are on KU websites, and that care enough to post comments, are die hard KU fans. However, if KU basketball takes a back seat to Operation Repo...well again, wow. Maybe you can get together with CSI fans, a show that is bumped every year due to it's thursday time slot on CBS, and form a support group.

Tyler Bruce 9 years, 9 months ago

this is a great day for college basketball!!!

stravinsky 9 years, 9 months ago

Thank goodness they didnt move to 96. 68 is fine with me.

Kyle Helmer 9 years, 9 months ago

kvskubball 9 years, 9 months ago

It sounds like the tv deal is structured with the new set-up in mind...if that is correct, then we are 'safe' from further expansion to 96 until the contract ends...13 years, I believe...

I for one HOPE that the tv requires the field to remain the same size, but that might not be the case!

dyeguy 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm thinking that the sports bars may not appreciate the "all games televised" component.

James Stewart 9 years, 9 months ago

It depends on how hardcore their customers are. If you want to see every concurrent game, you still have to have 4 TVs and probably multiple cable boxes from Sunflower -- I think you can only get 3 channels per cable box.

kvskubball 9 years, 9 months ago

with truetv as part of the package...most people will probably still be unable to see 'all' games...

And, with CBS, there is no gaurantee, that even if they show all the games, that you will get to watch the one you want, because of 'regional' coverage areas...

So, I don't think sports bars need to worry too much.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 9 months ago

TruTV is on Dish Network and probably DirectTV as well. It may be the cable customers who will be without that one.

ldjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I personally think this is a useless change. All four winners of the play-in game will be eliminated by the No.1 seeds anyway, so apart from the 8 teams that fighting for the turnery birth, nobody will bother.

ROCK_CHALK_217 9 years, 9 months ago

sure the 16 seeds will be eliminated by number 1 seeds but it gives the sixteen seeds a feeling of accomplishment in the tournament before they enter the usual slaughter

ldjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

You know it sounds like two guys has to kill one another to have the chance of having dinner with Megan Fox, and before you know it she calls off the date because SHE DOESN'T CARE!

Still useless rule for me.

Randy Eakin 9 years, 9 months ago

it's the 17 seeds that will be eliminated...not the 16's. And they won't be playing the 1's. Seems the 17's will be playing the 16's. Not fair to the 1's to have them play 1 more game than the rest of the field (sans 16's and 17's). Those should be competitive games.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Great news about the games being carried live and viewable on the four national networks. The only thing I'd question is will they atleast let you know that something exciting is about to happen on another channel? In the past you might be watching the game and then they'd cut away to the final seconds of a one possession game. Obviously now that game will be carried in its entirety on another channel, so I'd doubt they cut to a game on another channel, but I'd like a heads-up other than just seeing the scores of the other games at the top of the screen. Anyway, just something I'm curious to say how they'll handle, as I hate to think about possibly missing something incredible happening just because I didn't get the channel changed.

Also, what's the point of adding 3 more teams? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not 68 or 96, just why bother?

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

meant to say I'm glad it's not 96! doh!

Tim Orel 9 years, 9 months ago

Could we at least have the selected teams play in these play-in games rather than the automatic champions of tourneys or conferences? I think it's more fair to have the 5th and 6th place teams from the ACC/Big East play in these things than some team that scrapped and fought all year or during a tourney from one of the one-bid leagues and then they basically find out they don't even make it to the 64.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

the problem with that suggestion, having the 5th & 5th place teams from power conferences play in the play-in game, would be where do you seed them and who will they play their next game against? Currently the play-in game winner plays a #1 seed, it wouldn't really be fair to the #1 seeds to have to play against a better team, while the #2s still play against #15 seeds. If they treat the game like the other play-in games, all that will happen is it will push some teams from the #16 & #15 seed line into the play-in game line, and that might be good for them. Those teams will be the only one's playing that day so the focus will be on them, and it gives 3 more teams a greater chance to say they won a tournament game, where as before they were all but guaranteed to lose to the #1 & #2 seeds

Tribehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Completely agree with you, Colorado. The bottom 4 at-large teams should fight it out to get into the regular tourney. They will all be ranked about 11, so likely every 6 seed would have to watch those games to see who they play, which I think is a pretty fair compromise.

Tribehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Sorry. It would be the bottom 8 at-large teams playing.

Hank Cross 9 years, 9 months ago

The play-in winner does not have to play the 1 seed. You could have a play-in for the 9th seed. The 8-9 game usually has middle of the road teams from the majors play the runner-up from the mid-majors. Since the addition will allow more bubble teams, this would be a good spot for the play-in.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 9 months ago

Isn't it more likely that they'll do it the same way they do now, except in all four regions instead of just in one? That's how the #16 seed was selected for the area where the play-in game was held, so they'll just have four teams play-in instead of one. It would probably cause a riot if they arbitrarily chose a conference (like the ACC/Big East as you suggest) and gave them a chance to have more teams in the tournament. Every conference would be demanding a play-in game for their lower-placed teams. Quick way to get to 96 teams and beyond!

nobody1793 9 years, 9 months ago

I presume that Duke will be televised on TruTV (aka Court TV) because some of the calls they get are downright criminal.

Phog4ever 9 years, 9 months ago

not so sure about that cojayhawk - if you are a #1 seed how would you like to play a 5th place team from the Big East or ACC as your opening round game?

Bill Horton 9 years, 9 months ago

Three more coaches live to coach another year.

kvskubball 9 years, 9 months ago

Some people wonder why Boeheim was in favor of expansion to 96 teams...your response answers the question...the more teams in the more likely a coach is to be in the field, and thus have a better chance to keep his job! Agreed!

aerohawk 9 years, 9 months ago

What about a coach that doesn't make it in with 96? The AD say, "you must suck, 10 other teams from our conference got in and you couldn't, see ya."

Joel Hood 9 years, 9 months ago

Someone explain this statement to me -

"...How critical is the deal to the NCAA?

More than 95 percent of the governing body’s total revenue comes from the broadcast rights to the men’s basketball tournament..."

What about regular season broadcasts on CBS, ABC, & ESPNs? What about college football broadcast revenue on all the other networks? How can these other sources of broadcast revenue only account for 5% of the NCAA Governing Body's revenue? Are these other revenues distributed to other bodys of the NCAA?

Surely I am missing something here...

pburgstu 9 years, 9 months ago

not sure about regular season basketball but, the conferences get the money for the football games not the NCAA

kvskubball 9 years, 9 months ago

The tournament broadcast rights are probably the single largest stream of cashflow to the NCAA...yes, probably more than any single other contract for regular season coverage...

It probably generates over 50% of the entire income from tv for all of college basketball games...

The other thing is the question of who gets the income for regular season games...I think most of that goes to the conferences, with the NCAA cut-out of much of it...though I'm not sure...

The NCAA tournament is the NCAA's baby...yes they share revenue with member schools, but it is their revenue to share....I think regular season is the absolute opposite....though I'm not an expert on where the cash goes for the tv rights...I think I am correct...but could easily be wrong!

aerohawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I think another part of the equation is who owns the games in football. One of the reasons there is so much resistance to a football playoff is because a bunch of people OTHER than the NCAA make money off of it. The NCAA doesn't own the Rose Bowl production, same with the other bowls. Ever hear of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, the All-State Sugar Bowl (I think).

Another issue is how the accounting is done and what the specific question is. As stated in the article, CBS is paying $744 Million per year. But most of it is given to the participating schools. The Bowls games also provide a bunch of money to the schools but not through the NCAA, so that part probably doesn't count as revenue.

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

While I'm happy that we've staved off one more year from the inevitable 96 team tournament, I'm not as happy with this news as most seem to be. The NCAA tournament is going to become diluted to the point that making it there is going to mean next to nothing. Conference tournaments will be less important and thus, less dramatic...this is going to mean that teams that try to play tough non-con schedules to entice an invitation will no longer be inclined to do so...and EVERY game on national television will make the sports bars less fun (which hurts small business...was Obama instrumental in this new format? Sounds like something his admin would be involved in)...nope, I'm not nearly has thrilled with this news as most.

LEAVE THE TOURNAMENT ALONE! It's NOT BROKEN; IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE FIXED! If CBS is losing money, let the market decided what the bids should be...The NCAA is a non-profit organization (at least I believe it to be), let's work on making the product better, not bigger, not all inclusive.

I'm beginning to think that Myles Brand is the same jackass that has made keeping score at the local little league a thing of the past...EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!!!! EVERYONE IS EQUAL! Nothing but blather...at least that's my opinion...which is worth next to nothing...

kvskubball 9 years, 9 months ago

Do you realize that Myles Brand is dead? He died this past year after a battle with cancer, I believe....

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 9 years, 9 months ago

in case you missed it Myles Brand died of pancreatic cancer several years ago. Your Tea Party Roots are showing

dynamitehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

So - will there be 17 seeds per region?

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but the arguement that having these games available on TV is bad because it hurts the sports bars is ridiculous. Since when are we about doing things in the best interest of sports bars as opposed to individual fans? I mean, should we do away with espn360 because it lets fans watch some games that would otherwise be unavailable to them outside of a sports bar? I'm sure the high school kids and the rest of the under 21 crowd who are unable to frequent sports bars are happy about this. And if you like sports bars (as I do)...you can still go, not sure why it would be any "less fun".

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

My comment on the sports bar was tounge in cheek and a play on comments above (and to be honest, I never miss a chance at a gratuitious shot at the Obama Admin).

As for multiple networks broadcasting the tournament, I could care less. I'm not inclined to watch IUPUI v Winthrop in leiu of Big 10, ACC, Big 12 v any one of the other BCS schools (I admit that there are the Gonzaga's, Butler's out there but those are exceptions to the rule, I have no reason to watch anyone from the Big Sky). Which brings me to the play in game...I think that right now, the only people who care about this game are the two teams playing (and their fans) and the team that draws them. For me, the tournament starts on Thursday at 11:14 CST, not Tuesday at 6:00 pm. I may be in the minority but I have never watched more than 10 or 15 minutes of a play in game...I just don't care.

Sorry, I just don't like fixing something that isn't broken...I would also argue that expansion is going to make it tougher for the Butler's and George Mason's of the world to make it to the Final Four...with one more game to play and with 20 to 30 more BCS schools invited, the road just got more difficult.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Well I won't debate your politics with you, but will only say that by combining the comment about sports bars with that political shot lessens the "tongue in cheek" effect. Itmakes the reader think the comments about hurting sports bars to be in fact what you actually believe (since one would assume you took the shot at the Obama administration because of your actually political beliefs, or was that just tongue in cheek too?).

Anyway, not sure that IUPUI vs Winthrop has actually taken place in the tournament, but I see your point. However, you say you would not watch what is basically a scrub game in lieu of Big 10, Big 12, etc games. Ok, but 27 of the 32 first round games this last tournament featured atleast one team from a BCS school. Add Butler to the mix as you say they are the exception, and that's 28 games. The Temple-Cornell game did not feature a team from a BCS school, but was one of the more intriguing first round games (although once played out Cornell thoroughly dominated the Owls). Now granted many of the games featuring only one BCS school were not competive games (or not expected to be competitive anyway), but going through the first round games there were by my count 20 games that either were interesting enough matchups or played out to be competitive games (certainly maybe the 'Nova/Robert Morris game or Mich St/New Mexico St. games didn't appear to be competitve going in, but no doubt ended up being very compelling). That doesn't include the Jayhawks first round game against Leheigh either. And that's just the first round. So you say you could care less, but with 20 interesting games it is pretty doubtful everyone was able to watch all 20, or even just the ones out of those 20 that they would have preferred to watch. Multiple networks is a good thing.

I agree with your opinion of the play in games. I don't care either. I also agree with the setiment of not fixing something that isn't broken, but as Oakville pointed out, the tournament used to be 16 teams and people thought expansion would ruin the tourney. As for the Butler's & George Mason's, expanding to 68 teams will have no effect on their ability to make it to the Final Four. That is what we are talking about, the expansion to 68. If the tourney were to expand to 96, it would have an effect on George Mason (who was an #11 seed the year they reached the Final Four), but not as much on Butler, as that expansion only means an extra game for those seeded lower than an #8.

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Nope the Obama dig wasn't tongue in cheek and I shouldn't have brought politics to this board...this board is about sports...and KU. I will say that there are times I go to a sports bar to watch games not broadcast in my viewing area, those days are now over (I'm on the road about 5 months out of the year, many times I'm on the road for the tournament)...so I DO think that some bars will be hurt to some degree. I have friends who get together to watch the games at Emerson Bigguns (it's a big bracket/gambling to-do) every year so they can watch ALL of the games, not sure that tradition will continue...as for teenagers, I think that the only sports bar in Wichita that doesn't allow teenagers is Dudley's (it's smoking so under 18 is not allowed).

As for the games you mentioned in this years tournament, I agree, there were some intriguing games. My point wasn't that I have no interest in watching a Big 12 team vs a team from the Horizon, it was that I don't care to watch a Horizon team vs a Big Sky team which is what will happen if the tournament is expanded to 96 teams in my opinion. I'll wager that those BCS teams that will now make it will not be playing the play-in games...those games will be mid -major vs mid-major (at least that's how I see it). The tournament is about dollar bills, correct? What makes more tv revenue, Alabama v Michigan or mid-major v mid-major? I think that the NCAA will do everything it can to keep the big schools in the tournament longer. But while I've been in marketing most of my adult life, I could be DEAD WRONG...time will tell.

I agree, 16 teams wasn't enough...but there is a point of deminishing returns...what is that number? I think it's 96, some think that it's all D1 schools...maybe I just hate change. Either way, I'll still be looking forward to the tournament. But the tournament for me will begin on Thursday at 11:15 CST (unless KU plays a play-in game).

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Well, maybe bars will be hurt. However, bars still have some things going for them. Some like the atmosphere, and there are multiple televisions.

I didn't know you were also from Wichita (as I'm guessing from your Emerson Biggins comment). I'm pretty sure after 6 pm or so most bars don't let in the under 18 crowd, not as certain about the 18-20 year old crowd. I know AJs didn't let in teenagers under 18 after 6, and I wanna say Larry Bud's as well. I could be wrong. Also, there's the new smoking-ban so I don't think that plays into it.

Much of your arguement, including the topic of all games being viewable, is predicated on the field expanding to 96. I think most fans, myself included, saw several "diminished returns" with that scenario. I'm not getting into that yet. I think the expansion to 68 is not a big deal, and the television set-up is advantageous with so many games being interesting.

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Yes sir, I am from Ta Town and I can tell by your comments that you live on the east side. I'm out west and the only places I go are OC, Dudley's (which I'm not a fan of as it's a smoking bar...which means no kids under 18 allowed ever) and Emerson's. I'm friends with both the owners of Emerson and Larry Bud's (do you know Will?) so I'll ask what the policy actually is.

I have a difficult time articulating my thoughts at times. My point was that this step, going to 68, is just the first step towards a 96 team field. I don't have any problem with 68...other than I know it's going to lead to the inevitable 96. My points regarding the mid-majors are vaild only when looking at the field through the 96 team prisim.

So, 68? Not a problem, 96? Not a fan for the reasons I've mentioned above. Sorry for my inability to verbalize my thoughts...in my mind they're perfectly clear, in writing, they're as clear as mud.

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

Lol, actually I live on the west side, although I named a couple of east side bars so I understand why you'd think that. I have a buddy that lives out by Larry Bud's and we'll go there from time to time. I did used to live on the east side, but have lived out here by douglas & west for about the past 9 years. There used to be a bar right there on the corner called "Ivy League" that was my own personal "Cheers", but now it's Lola's and I'm not a big fan. When I lived on the east side Tanners was my favorite; obviously now it's Larry Bud's. and I still like it a lot. Me and my buddy watched the Duke-Butler game up there. And no I don't know Will. Seems the sports bars are dying out here on the west side. Victory and Oscars both closed within the last year or so. I miss the old Player's too, not a big fan of the newer one. Never been to Dudley's. I like Emerson Biggins & Old Chicago, although neither are true sports bars in the strictest sense.

Anyway, no worries about your posts man. I'm with you now. I agree there doesn't seem to be any advantages from a fan's standpoint in regards to a 96 team field.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 9 months ago

HowMuchRice......i only like watching Operation Repo to watch Matt be a complete dramatic fool...and get his ass kicked by anyone and everyone......not reality, actuallity????ummm i don't think so

Tony Bandle 9 years, 9 months ago

Not that I am for expansion of the Tourney but I remember when it was 16 teams and everyone said expansion would ruin the event.

The only thing in life that is set in stone is change.

We'll all just have to buy bigger refrigerators to have room to put up the brackets!!

Kye Clark 9 years, 9 months ago

as i was reading that I totally it expected it read "buy bigger refrigerators to stock the extra beer required for additional games"!

Jeremy LeMaster 9 years, 9 months ago

I am as happy as pig in $hit over the expansion to 68 teams. I have thought that since they felt it necessary to expand to 65 that it was weird to have not expanded the field to 68 with a play in type game for each of the 16 seeds.

At last, we have seen a solid decision from the NCAA. I thought that might not ever occur during my lifetime.

tical523 9 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree, its not really that big of a change. I am surprised the NCAA didn't totally screw it up and go to 96. Now the Mississippi States and Va Techs get in and two other border teams, really nobody could complain past them two in particular last year anyway.

Chicago_JHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm surprised Boeheim is this vocal this time around - he usually only complains in years when Syracuse is a bubble team and gets left out.

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 9 months ago

"It's still going to be 96. 68 is preliminary and may just be for this year. 96 will happen for sure though. The framework has already been set."

jhelm i don't think that is true. this is a new TV deal...that was the whole reason why 96 was being talked about for next year, because the NCAA could opt out of its current contract...so the thinking was they would just swallow up the NIT and go 96.

so this is it. 68 teams, three additional networks, every game televised...and per year the deal is worh $250 million more. i think that about does it....68 is locked in until at least 2024.

d_prowess 9 years, 9 months ago

I tend to agree with you on this, but at the same time none of us have seen the actual language of the contract. So who knows if there is a clause somewhere in it that opens up for an expansion at a point prior to the expiration of this deal. Hopefully not though...

86finalfour 9 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable news!! The NCAA got it right! Now the tourney is more symmetrical and we get to see every game now. What could be more perfect?!

kufreak1512 9 years, 9 months ago

This site won't let me log in on my ipod touch. Does anyone know if that just doesn't work or if its just my ipod?

Jonathan Kealing 9 years, 9 months ago

I login using my iPod Touch all the time. Maybe you've got some whacky setting on your browser?

d_prowess 9 years, 9 months ago

I use my too and it works fine. Is there any chance that the mobile site will eventually show and allow comments? The LJW mobile site does, but not this one.

Jim Pendleton 9 years, 9 months ago

92jhawk - Why would you make that kind of a remark about Myles Brand when the man died this past year? I didn't agree with all his policies and beliefs, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to speak bad about anyone who has passed away.

I do agree with this decision on increasing the tourney size. While it may get increased again in the future, hopefully it stays this way awhile. Basically now you have four play in games, one for each regional. Always thought it was odd you only had one of those, and not four. The seeds will now fit on the so-called s-curve across the board.

Let's hope our seed stays up there for many years, and the only thing we have to worry about in the future is which one of these play-in games we get the winner of some year. Rock Chalk!!

92Jhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I totally forgot that Mr. Brand died this past year and I'm sorry to any my comment offended. I never liked the way that he ran the NCAA and had issue with MANY of the decisions he made in his tenure but the comment I made was crass at best.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 9 months ago

First Conan O'Brien then NCAA tournament! What's next for TBS, a reality show where strippers are KU Jayhawk fans and live on a secret floor of Jayhawker Towers?

Kent Wells 9 years, 9 months ago

You know, Mem, yoi may be onto something. An 18-year old (male) thinks about 2 things. Sleeping in a bed and how to get a girl into one.

Strippers/Hookers in the towers would be awesome. Think of the recruiting advantage. We already have a coach that is owed a favor. Ms. Ryan could be in charge of training. Hit a game-winning jump shot? Tiffany is ready for you after the game with her own version of the pick and roll. Rush for 200 yards and beat MU. Amber has your reward.

Genius, dude!

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 9 months ago

Yeah Wells, it would also give new meaning to the low-post game as well as the squeeze-play in baseball and the end-run in football! (we're just acting like fifth graders now!) Oh yeah, and the rowing team would have new inspiration for their shout out of "stroke, stroke"!

thmdmph 9 years, 9 months ago

Folks, don't get too excited about the news. It's only a matter of time before the fields get re-expended. It's all about $$$. Everybody wants to belong, and once you get left out, you cry like a baby for an expanded field - Roy will lead that field. Once people gets comfortable with a field of 96, some schools will start crying again about being left out unfairly.

The only way for expansion to stop is when teams like Alcorn State get in, but has no chance to win, even on it's best day and their opponent's worst day. Such that they could never make it to the sweet 16 even if all the planets align.

It's kinda like going to a supersports car auto show, but when you show up, you see Miata, Sebring, Charger, and Mini Cooper among the mix because 1) everybody wants to belong and 2) the organizer makes more money for including more manufacturers.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Yes memhawk! And they need to get a box in the upper right-hand corner that lists year-to-date keystrokes from both jaybate and icthawfan316 as a competition/fundraiser. Boardrats can wager on the winner - odds made by KUwells, updated weekly. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Kentucky Coal Academy http://coalacademy.kctcs.edu/ .... where the fancy people learn to mine coal (demonstrating our true benevolence for redneck hillbilly degenerates).

tstanlick1909 9 years, 9 months ago

Dynamite,

On your link, the sub caption at the top reads, "Higer education begins here."

tstanlick1909 9 years, 9 months ago

Mr. John Wall must have developed that page

Kent Wells 9 years, 9 months ago

Dynamite:

That's not a box in the upper right corner, it is a pole.

Odds are that jaybate would just keep posting until he had more words.

And I'm disappointed in you Mr. Mite: I was expecting to see a brilliant post from you realted to the wonderlic article. What happened???

dynamitehawk 9 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't feeling it. I can't force my genius (I misspelled that word), I have to be inspired.

Joel Hood 9 years, 9 months ago

"The JCA (Jr. Coal Academy) program prepares the youth of today for a future career in the Coal Mining industry."

I thought this site was a joke at first. My God, this site is the "Road House" of all websites. No wonder the entire state is oblivious to the OAD factory that UK has become - look at their alternative.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Memhawk----very funny!!!!!!!!!

BTW----I was holding my breath to see if the NCAA would expand to 96. Glad it is 68, for the time being. I am sure the Committee that selects the NIT field was happy with the decision. Doesn't matter how many teams are in the field. I am looking for the Jayhawks to make another Final Four, and then, win the darn thing. It will be in Houston, Texas, in 2011.

Ben Kane 9 years, 9 months ago

this is great news. if you are going to have one play in game may as well have 4.

the biggest news is that all individual games will be shown. I'm tired of living out of market and being forced to watch games 1 and 2 on the internet. This also means that we won't be punished because a game being shown on tv runs long before ours... not that this ever happens to us.

We need to get Lew on our side about the regular season ESPN crap, where we miss the first ten minutes of our game every Monday night and can't listen to it with online radio because KUAD (or ESPN, never got a str8 answer on this) is blacking it out.

actorman 9 years, 9 months ago

Wait a minute, the NCAA did something right??? What's this world coming to?

hewn 9 years, 9 months ago

This is absolutely brilliant. Something nobody has mentioned is that the 3 teams that will get in that haven't in past years aren't going to be the worst teams in the tournament. They will be 12-14 seeds who just barely missed in past years but are still significantly better than some of those minor-conference automatic bids. And the 4 worst teams will be eliminated before the first round! This does just the opposite of watering down the tournament like people feared with the 96-team idea. It makes the quality of the teams in the 6 full rounds that much better.

This absolutely is what they should have done a few years ago instead of ever messing with 65. That structure with one extra team was just painfully off-balance. Far more logical scenario now.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 9 months ago

And the NIT stays in place. Just guessing.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 9 months ago

If this had been in place this year, North Carolina probably still wouldn't have made the field!