Sunday, April 18, 2010

Terrence Jones interested in Kansas visit

— It didn’t take long for Josh Selby to turn from newest Kansas Jayhawk into lead recruiter.

In the Jordan Brand game’s postgame press conference, Selby already said he was working to get forward Terrence Jones — the 13th-ranked player according to Rivals — to commit to KU.

“I wish I had Doron Lamb, but he chose Kentucky,” Selby said. “Now, we’re getting Terrence Jones, to be honest, to fill Xavier Henry’s spot.”

After the game, the 6-8, 220-pound Jones said he was planning to take an official visit to KU in the next two weeks.

“Hopefully, I will get that done,” Jones said. “I have one official visit left. I want to use it.”

Jones, who said he’d prefer not to miss class next week for his visit, said he still plans on choosing a school either April 23 or 30. He and Selby have been friends since meeting at the Nike Hoops Jamboree a few years back.

“He’s anxious for me to join him,” Jones said. “He feels it would be best for both of us. Possibly, we could do great things there.”

Jones scored 17 points on 7-for-13 shooting Saturday to go with nine rebounds.

He attends Jefferson High School in Portland, Ore. — the same school as former KU guards Aaron Miles and Michael Lee.

Jones had KU on his original list of potential schools before crossing them off for a time.

“I was really setting myself to sign early,” Jones said. “I hadn’t been there. I really didn’t know much about the program. I just didn’t want to risk going somewhere I didn’t know too much about.”

Rivals says Jones also is considering Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington and Arizona.

On Thursday, Jones told the Journal-World that KU again might be in the mix for him depending on what happened during the Jordan Brand Classic game.

The Jayhawks have one scholarship remaining.

Jones said Selby started his pitch for KU a couple weeks ago.

“It’s not that many words,” Jones said. “It’s pretty much just a, ‘Whatcha want to do man? Whatcha want to do?’”

Comments

Michael Auchard 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, that's almost exactly the thought that went through my head, too.

quigley 10 years, 10 months ago

This is the home run Self, this is the home run you were talking about.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 10 months ago

wow. not essential but wow. self is a magician if he can get jones too.

waywardJay 10 years, 10 months ago

we are giddy as school children..... Aaron, get on the phone and tell this kid... Michael get on the phone and tell this kid, Selby keep the work going....

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. If the words of Sherron worked on Selby, surely Miles and Lee can do something similar on Jones.

Eric Williams 10 years, 10 months ago

Did Miles and Lee like Self, I recall they only played one year with him.

Granted they are Jayhawks forever, but I wonder if they have a good relationship with Self.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

Remember that Lee did serve as a grad asst for Self after using up his eligibility. I would bet that Self had a hand in helping Lee find an actual assistant position somewhere as well. So yeah, I think at least Lee would be willing to put in a good word.

dylans 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't think Self will scrap his whole philosophy over one player. No matter how good.

Larry Smith 10 years, 10 months ago

I guess I don't really understand why people think Kansas plays some kind of slow down offense. This team was the 5th highest scoring team in the nation. That is better than Duke, UNC, Texas, Kentucky etc.. those teams that people percieve to be "running" teams. So Dylans, I am not sure what philosophy you are alluding to.

Jim Woodward 10 years, 10 months ago

Relationships. This is all about relationships. Coach Self's relationship with Sherron, Sherron's relationship with Selby, and Selby's relationship with Terrance Jones. Relationships make a team. I continue to like where we are headed and how coach Self gets things done.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 10 months ago

Welcome TJ. Go get your National Championship with your boy Selby and the rest of the talent we have.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't know anything about this kid, but anyone who says they'd rather not miss class for a recruiting visit sounds like a nice fit in my book. It just not sold on having room for this young man, but you make room for the #13 rated recruit I guess.

loudog 10 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read about him not wanting to miss class. That is all I know about him right now, but just from that, he sounds like a character guy. Go get him, coach!!!

cre017 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm so impressed with Coach Self. The first few years of his tenure at KU had me wondering if we made the right choice. Now, I wonder why in the heck I wasted my time thinking that. Coach Self and his staff make me so proud to be a Jayhawk and a Kansan. We will gain a few more National Championships during his tenure and hopefully we can suprise the pundits out there in 10-11. Great recruiting Coach, enjoy the summer!

cobweb 10 years, 10 months ago

Self has the best people skills I've ever see. It's also genuine. How could a mom say no?

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

A significant pattern emerges here.

Just at the NBA drafts potential talent but plays effective talent, the college game recruits length and athleticism but plays whoever can learn to thug.

Despite the ascending Black Hole of steady pace, possession ball imposed with muscle in conference and Madness, Bill Self still believes devoutly in recruiting athleticism--the long and lean, the runners and jumpers.

Bill Self has just landed a highly ranked, but slender 6-3, 180-pound PG in Selby.

Great, Self gets to add the slight Selby to his stable of athletic, but equally slight 6-3 185 pound combos (Tyshawn and EJ), plus his stable of not-quite-so-athletic, but equally slight 6-3, 185 pound glue men (Tyrel and Brady).

Further, Self wanted an equally slight shooting forward in the 6-4, 183 pound Lamb, but lost him to UCon.

Now Self wants a 6-8, 220-pound 3/4 player, rather close to the mold of Marcus Morris, when he came to KU his first year and could barely stay on the floor, when the sand started being kicked by the Sumos.

Inference: Self is still addicted to recruiting lean, long athleticism, even though no one gets to be athletic in the Madness anymore. They just get to push and shove and shoot threes.

In the age of XTreme Ball, is teaching length and strength how to thug the critical path, or is recruiting thugs that can shoot the critical path?

Strange days are these.

MDHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I think Hudy does a pretty good job at bulking our guys up as much as need be. To be honest, there aren't many kids who are going to come out of high school with a perfectly ready NCAA/NBA body (first one I've seen in a long time = X). A lot of kids come close, and Selby's no stick.

Yes, you have to be tough to win it all, and take a bruising. But I'm almost certain the recruits we've landed, in comparison to...hmm, I don't know...John Wall, OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, perhaps?...are just as stout. Additionally, there's plenty of growing yet to do at age 18, both mentally AND physically.

Jeremy Wilhelm 10 years, 10 months ago

Not impressed with this series of observations Jaybate; normally, I do agree with what you have to say. But, other than Zoubek, it's not like Duke was bulky this year. Same for UNC, KU and Florida in the years before. I think the trend in national championship teams is long, athletic, and deep, with a nice mix of upper class men and star quality younger players who can step up. I believe this years team was exposed mainly because our point guard was 5'11" and Northern Iowa did the best job of luring him into bad positions where they could use his height to their advantage and force a bad play. That would have been harder to do against a 6'3" PG.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

Rivals still has Jones with no interest in KU....sounds like, from our new recruit and Mr. Jones himself, there is plenty of interest. Let's get him in here, and show him a good time and land him. the good news, the spring signing period lasts until Mid May. so the LOI is plenty in play.

Welcome Mr. Selby!

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

We've already hit the home run with Selby. Everyone is forgetting we have Woolridge on his way next year as well who can flat out shoot the rock. I think he is way under the radar because of his early commit. Not saying we couldn't use Jones, but I wouldn't mind getting another monster inside. We're pretty guard heavy right now as it is.

jchief40 10 years, 10 months ago

Jones is not a guard though. The quote in the article about "taking Henry's spot" means strictly scholarship. 6-8 players do not play the guard position. He would be a big!

jchief40 10 years, 10 months ago

I wish I could edit or remove posts entirely that we author. I guess Jones is possibly going to play as a guard - that's amazing to me but whatever. Common KUSports! Let us edit/remove our posts!

Vincent Patterson 10 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I promised I would apologize if Selby or Lamb actually wound up at KU, so my bad, I was wrong. I must say though, I just don't know what to make of next years rotation. I mean, somebody is going to have to transfer or redshirt now at the guard, right? I just really hope to God it's not EJ.

tannerbowers 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah that's right... I was thinking about how he should of been and little shouldn't of!

Vic Janeway 10 years, 10 months ago

From the shiver, I read that Ross was actually the better 3pt shooter and better at the dribble drive to the basket, Jones is known for charging his big bod over people. Glad Im not the coach, good luck HCBS!

AverageCitizen 10 years, 10 months ago

jaybate,

Get your facts right. Lamb didn't chose UConn, he chose Kentucky!

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

Trust me, Jaybate knows. If you follow his posts, he refers to Kentucky as "Contucky", because Calipari is a con artist. The fact that he spelled it Ucon, with one "n", is the giveaway that he was refering to the Wildcats & not the Huskies.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

jmfitz was bottle fed not nursed on .... poor, poor jmfitz always feeling he's gotten the .... poor, poor jmfitz, oh, jmfitz, oh, jmfitz always knowing his life is just the ....

(Note to jmfitz: this is an interactive poem for an interactive age. I write the lines and you write the rhymes. Make them perfect, please, jmfitz.)

:-)

Firebirdguy31 10 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate was referring to UK has UCon, as in Convict, I know, it's a little bit confusing. I think he should spell it UKon, the point still gets across without confusion. I like to call them KinSucky. lol.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

WayBelowAverageCitizen,

As you are apparently a way below average board rat, it will take you awhile to get with the lingo. I just clicked the stop watch, twit. Start catching up. :-)

Firebirdguy31 10 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone else find the Jones interview pathetic. The guy kept putting words in his mouth. 90% of the time Jones just said "yea" as the answer of every question. A completely worthless interview.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Firebirdguy31,

Great idea!

Henceforth, they are UKon from Black Grass country. :-)

Don't even try to explain Memphuckied to him.

SubparCitizen needs to grow as an alias for awhile before becoming immersed in code. :-)

Firebirdguy31 10 years, 10 months ago

Black Grass country, that's priceless. lol.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Firebirdguy31,

Yes, it was weak.

Let's practice some good citizen journalism here and say, okay, the pros sucked on this, and so let's go all autothread on this and redirect to a more interesting angle, shall we?

Aaron Miles and Mike Lee came to KU and had fine careers here. They each still have ties in their home town of Portland and are not entirely unknown there.

Kyle Singler came from Medford, OR, down the I-5 corridor from Portland, and almost came to KU, choosing Fluke at the last second, because of some of Roy's difficult-for-him-to-recollect recruiting mistakes...so Kyles choosing between KU and Fluke should be in jocks recent memory in the state of Oregon, just like some 5 star's school choice in Wichita would be known by some 5-star's choice a few years later in Kansas City.

Oh, and KU won a ring when Terrence was a sophomore in high school.

Oh, and KU was 33-3 and ranked first most of this season and had an OAD shoving off from the 3 and a 4 in Marcus Morris that could play 3, or 4, and thus let Terrence fit in either slot also.

Toss in also that I vaguely recall Rod Stewart was from Portland and though he did not have a great career at KU, at least he found a home after his nightmare at USuckC and did not reputedly leave on bad terms with KU...so he would not be a neg in recruiting

Finally, Kurtis Townsend, a man long considered to have a golden touch recruiting Portland players is on KU's staff and has to have been recruiting Terrence for quite some time.

What is wrong with this picture?

mr_jhawk4477 10 years, 10 months ago

Rod Stewart was from Seattle. He and the great CJ Giles were HS teammates

Firebirdguy31 10 years, 10 months ago

I found this interesting as well, however, my take on it, is that he probably hadn't ever watched a KU game before, and if he had it was probably only the NC game in 08'.

Most kids on the coasts don't give a second thought about a midwestern school unless a certain person, a la World Wide Wes, has a certain celebrity, ie. Lebron James, make house calls for a certain coach... ie. Calimari.

Hopefully Jones will focus on school, visit KU, and sign a LOI before these guys can start wooing him with future endorsements that may or may not come to fruition. These guys only want to use him, not help him. Unfortunately, these kids don't understand that.

Steve Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

So: how come Terrence Jones acts as if he has hardly understood what KU is all about and now suddenly has to come to want to find out? What is wrong with this picture?

perhaps we had Barnes, Lamb, Knight, others on deck and now that cards are face up, we will show the love to Mr. Jones. especially with his pal Selby, on board.

Mr. Jones, come on down.

RCJHKU

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

I think we are in danger of falling into the trap that UK fans find themselves in and that's in celebrating recruiting too much. Selby was the "home run" Coach Self needed. I'm stoked. However, as tempting as it is to work ourselves into a frenzy over the possibility of signing another 5 star top 15 talent like Jones, we should be looking at the big picture. Selby says "Now, we’re getting Terrence Jones, to be honest, to fill Xavier Henry’s spot.” However, is that a glaring hole that needs to be filled? I have no real read on this guy in terms of his ability to step in and play right away or how long we could expect him to stay. Here's what I do know: we have a pretty loaded roster right now. If we were to bring in Jones would he be an upgrade at the 3 over Mario Little? Personally I think Little is going to be a beast. He'll be a 5th year senior, entering his 3rd season in HCBS's system, having played major minutes at the juco level and having battled the past two seasons against some pretty good players in practice. I just don't see Jones overtaking him for a starting role. If this is accurate how does he accept reduced role? If he were to be "Elijah-ed" next season and become maybe the 4th or 5th guy off the bench, does he embrace his time here or does he become a chemistry problem? EJ seemed to handle it well last year, but it's a dicey situation to try and bring a kid rated that high, especially if he could probably step in and start for probably every other team on his list of schools recruiting him, and expect him to sit for long stretches. The field is also pretty crowded in the post, so trying to find minutes for him there would be difficult as well.

Like I said, I don't have a good enough read on his abilities and intentions to know if he could step in and help us immediately, and if not if he would be willing to wait his turn. For now I'm just going to reserve my excitement over the idea of bringing him in and focus on what we have for now.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

jmfitz,

It occurs to me that you may have violated the user agreement.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Often when board rats post about too many good players, and hand wring about unhappy players, they forget they are basically talking about a labor market rigged to hugely favor the producers (i.e., universities).

First, a team is given 15 scholarships to bring in 15 players for an 7,8, or 9 man game; this guarranties bench warmers. The idea of doing this is to minimize the players' ability to negotiate with a coach individually with much clout at all, once they have enrolled. Basketball teams are dictatorships at worst, and highly unnatural, conditional and authoritarian families at best.

Second, players are hugely penalized for transferring (i.e., loss of a year's eligibility); the idea of this is to make the players largely transfer-averse once enrolled.

Third, from this layman's opinion, university ADs (likely under the advice of their counsel) appear now to be wielding a possibly illegal, but also possibly unadjudicated action of conditioning where players can and cannot transfer to. (Note: I say under attorney client privilege here, because even if what appears to be going on actually were going on, neither attorney, nor client, would be under any effective requirement to admit to it publicly.)

Anyway, some ADs and some counsels appear to be gambling that most players lack the resources to challenge this possibly illegal encroachment on a player's rights. The counsel may be advising the AD to sabre rattle about conditioning permissible schools a dissatisfied player may transfer to, and then to withdraw the conditioning if challenged by someone with deep pocket backing legal action. If this actually were going on, then this would be an onerous tactic by universities that would likely eventually precipitate a lawsuit on some grounds. And I can think of no twelve fairly poor, ordinary American jurors that would side with the universities on this matter regardless of what even the letter of the law may be.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

But as with all onerous and IMHO inappropriate constraints on individual freedom imposed by persons in authority, it will have to go on quite awhile before a critical mass of player and public resentment build up to litigate, win and so set a precedent chilling such future bad behavior.

The tabulation line regarding the above indicates that the coach-player relation ship regarding PT and happiness is hugely stacked against the players and the coach can load the team with as much new talent as he wants and when the coach tells the returning players to eat excrement and get better, the players have to say, "Hey, coach, do you have any catchup to put on it, while we practice on second, or third string?"

I mean,if there were ever going to be a player rebellion over too much talent, it would have been the 2010 KU team. Instead, they all just rolled over and took it, because doing anything else but, would have lead to a much worse situation than insufficient PT. Every player understood on last year's team that Self had no qualms about adding enough talent to squeeze Tyrone Appleton and Quintrel Thomas out into wilderness. Understanding that Tyrone wound up no where and Quintrel wound up in the provinces, is it surprising that everyone sat tight and took it? Persons in authority have learned long ago that when you are about to do something that the masses may not like, it is best to first make an example of a few of the masses, so that the rest tend to go along to get along. Machiavelli 101.

If you are a college basketball coach, you can never be too personable, too good of an Xs and Os man, too much the idealized embodiment of how a fan base wants to see itself, too smart, be paid too big of a salary, or have too much basketball talent.

If Player A complains about PT, he can't leave without a big penalty, but the coach can dismiss the player at his disgression, and in time, find a way to pull his scholarship.

Too much talent?

Get outta here.

(Note: All opining.)

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree with much of what you're saying. I don't dispute that the coach holds all the power in the college game. I also don't dispute that you can't have too much talent, provided it is the right talent. As Kurt Russell said in his portrayal of Herb Brooks in the movie Miracle: "I'm not looking for the best guys, I'm looking for the right ones." (Whether Herb Brooks actually said anything to this effect I do not know). Corny I know. But I don't think you can ever under-emphasize team chemistry. Sure we probably won't see a full-out rebellion anytime soon no matter how much talent we bring in, but chemistry issues don't have to be major to derail a team. If guys don't buy into their role, they can't be trusted to perform that role when they get on the court. Tyshawn is the perfect example of this. He said he didn't understand his role. I have no doubt CS sat him down and explained to him what that role was, and I have little doubt that he told him it was more of a "glue" role. However, there were far too many instances last year of TT trying to assert himself to something beyond his role, and everytime he crapped the bed (with the exception of the home game against Colorado...not exactly the best barometer). He would fail miserably at the role he was aspiring to perform, and would abandon the role which he was assigned. So by all means bring in talent, just do your best to make sure that talent fits what you're going to want him to do.

I'm all for grabbing talent when you can, because you never know what will happen or when that particular talent will be available again. I also believe the best players should play, while at the same time letting the other guys develop for the future. It's always good seeing guys like Darnell Jackson succeed. Guys who pay their dues, put in the work, and are rewarded for that hard work by earning themselves feature roles (whether that be starting or as a key reserve). All I'm saying is that in the case of Jones, let's not celebrate his potential signing as if we were UK fans, for whom the signing period holds far too much significance. Should CS determine him to be a good fit, then let's welcome him in and see what he can do to help us win, and hope that he and the other players accept the roles they are asked to perform. In the end, that's all we can really do.

David Howell 10 years, 10 months ago

Guys, come on. We certainly could find room for Mr. Terrence Jones. I saw a lot to like from him in the Jordan Brand game last night. Unless Coach Cal comes up with a new Ferrari for Mr. Jones, I like our chances of signing him. Wooing him now will come down to 40% KU the Institution and 60% Josh Selby. They really seem to have developed a bond over the past couple of years.

I've been saying we could use another BIG in our rotation. With only 4 bigs and Withey really still a big IF, he could fit right in. And being 6' 8" or 6' 9" and being able to play the 3-5 position with ball handling skills would be sweet.

As a program we have to quit worrying about stepping on peoples toes. After our dismal finish last year, we have to start playing the best players. If some people quit or transfer so be it. Coach Self is paid to win and not keep everyone happy. If that means benching someone for a game or several so be it. Right now IMO the only guaranteed starters next year are Selby and Marcus Morris. Everyone else is going to have to work their butts off and improve. Especially Brady and Tyshawn. For the most part both took a step back last year .............

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree. Coach is employed by the university, not the players. It's not YMCA ball where everyone gets to play. Again I'm just saying you can't dismiss chemistry. See the Tyshawn Taylor example I listed above. Does anyone know if Jones is that type of player? The type that if he is asked to perform a glue or reserve role as opposed to being the man, will he accept it or rock the boat?

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

And by the way, most of the talent out there will display "a lot to like" in an all-star game type setting. Not really the same when you come to an elite D-1 school and are now asked to play defense on Curtis Kelly

tstanlick1909 10 years, 10 months ago

It's always good to get talent as good as that of Terrence Jones, and certainly I would be all for him coming to Kansas.

However, he is a hybrid 3-4 guy. We already have a hybrid like that in Marcus Morris, who will get his minutes regardless.

What's interesting is that Little and Releford both redshirted for the sake of landing Xavier, knowing that there would be minutes for them once X left, which he did.

But what are those two going to do if we get Terrence Jones, who is going to be hard to start on the bench.

Seeing Little and Releford, two guys that ooze class and team spirit (don't forget boatloads of talent and experience.) Seeing those two get slapped in the face for the second year in a row would be a tragedy.

IMO

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

For real! I'm in agreement that the best players should play, but with Little & Releford taking one for the team last year, if they were to get screwed again it would indeed be a tragedy and a tremendous injustice. For Little particularly, who is out of options and time. I tend to think that even if Jones did get brought in Little would be better than him anyway. The question is though would CS sit Jones on the bench behind Little, or would start Jones anyway, seeing the potential to get a couple of years out of him vs. only one remaining year for Little?

tstanlick1909 10 years, 10 months ago

The solution is to play hockey. By that I mean, use every player on the roster in 3-5 minute shifts.

Much like Olivet Nazarene Univ., of which my sister just got done being part of the nation's highest scoring team for all four of her years.

It's similar to Mizzou's style. Get everyone on the roster (which we can do because we are rolling about 12 deep) running in the open floor, tiring the other team and showcasing our own strengths. Scoring lots of points and forcing lots of turnovers.

When all ten players on the floor are gassed, we sub five out for five fresh, don't lose anything, while the other team resorts to winded players and non scholly guys.

We win every game by 25 points

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

If only Coach Self would even try to play this way.... Last year we had the deepest roster in the nation, and most if it rarely got off the bench.

Instead Coach Self opted to leave the same 5 guys in the game for 85% of the play time... Only subbing 2 or 3 others for decent minutes. I just don't understand that.

EJ and TRob would be a lot more developed at this point (and comfortable) if they had played more throughout the season... Taylor, Brady, Xavier and Collins all had entire games where they were struggling all around.... But they rarely (if ever) were pulled for a few minutes. Why not sit them and play EJ or TRob for a few minutes, then bring them back in? Not only do you get fresh legs to wear down your opponent, but honestly we had nothing to lose... Sometimes those guys were playing so bad, you literally couldn't have gotten any worse by subbing in a freshman.

I understand it's Coach Selfs style, but personally i disagree with that aspect of his coaching. I'm starting to think that Coach Self allows his subbing to be dictated by certain players (squeaky wheel gets the grease). Especially when it comes to Taylor.

tannerbowers 10 years, 10 months ago

You can't play that many players all year long. You have to find a set rotation of 8 players maybe 9. Everybody thought we were going to be 11 or 12 deep last year and we weren't.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

We weren't, because we never played more than 8 consistently. It wasn't for a lack of options.

tannerbowers 10 years, 10 months ago

Why would you not want another top 20 recruit? It will create competition! Why would we not use a scholarship?

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, not to sound like a broken record, but chemistry! I'm not saying don't bring him in (again, this is all assuming we CAN land Jones), but lets wait and let CS find out what kind of a fit he'd be with next year's team. I mean, this guy's been on the fans' radar for what? 4 days maybe? There was some long-shot type speculation maybe, but no one was following his movements and analyzing his comments before. You ask why would we not use the scholarship, well several people soured on Doron Lamb because of his "Coach Self guaranteed me 30 mpg" comment and were "happy" he decided not to come here (whether they were genuinely happy or just playing the sour grapes card once it was apparent that he'd go to UK is definitely debatable). Just like some people were "happy" to see X leave, and he was a top 20 recruit as well. All I'm saying is does anybody know anything about him other than what we saw last night and the fact that "hey, he's a top 20 recruit, let's bring him in!"?

Here's something else to consider. If he is such a good fit, why wasn't CS recruiting him harder to begin with? He was focused on Lamb until it became known he wasn't coming here. Why? I mean, Jones is ranked higher on both rivals.com & espnu's recruiting rankings. I don't know why, but it's something to think about.

I like it when KU wins recruiting battles too, and if CS offers him a scholarship and he decides to sign with us I'll be happy to welcome him into Jayhawk nation. Just seems like a lot of fans have become enamored with him overnight. They see "top 15 recruit" and it's like people who overpay for the brand or the label without ever taking a minute to consider the product. "Ooooh, this costs $500 and it's an Armani/Gucci/Prada, it will surely look nice on me!"

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

btw, just in case you didn't see it that someone had responded to your earlier statement "Elijah cannot reshirt twice"...well you are correct. No one can redshirt twice, except maybe in the case of getting a medical redshirt (a situation I am admittedly a little fuzzy on). However, Elijah hasn't redshirted once.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm pretty big on calling people out when they're wrong, only because there is zero accountability here and some people feel the need to treat other people on here like they are idiots simply for disagreeing with them. With that being said:

rpkenfan88 - "Kevin Keitzman host the #1 sports talk show here in KC on 810", "Keitzman said he had a source that said Selby was going to UK and we were getting Lamb" As some attempted to point out to you, Keitzman is a tool. He's not news, he's sports entertainment. We used to get his show here in Wichita (pretty sure we don't anymore, but I haven't bothered to check lately) and I couldn't stand it. I'm not a Chiefs fan, but he was wrong so often with his predictions regarding the Chiefs it was laughable, and his college basketball takes were about as unreliable as they come.

keithmiles05 - "Selby and Lamb to KU. This is what people who follow AAU and even some other recruits are saying". And "T. Jones is NOT considering KU. His high school coach said Jones has no interest with KU trying to get back into the mix with him."

Well fellas, I'd first off like to suggest maybe getting better sources before attaching your name to such rumors. Of course it is not wrong to repeat what someone else has reported, but to argue about it's validity and to insult other posters who may question those reports sure makes you look foolish. Secondly, any chance that in light of the "straight from the horses mouth" comments from Terrence Jones himself that you would like to retract your previous statement keithmiles05?

KU08 10 years, 10 months ago

Good work. The unfounded gossip doesn't bother me too much, but the inability to agreeably disagree gets on my nerves. Keep calling people out - you have my support! (for what it's worth)

KU08 10 years, 10 months ago

I hope we get Jones. I understands people's concern about messing with team chemistry by adding even more talent to an already immensely talented team - not to mention possibly breaking the hearts of some players (e.g. Releford & Little) who may feel they have earned a spot in the rotation. However, winning college basketball usually requires a business approach than a family one. Self has 13 scholarships (I think) to distribute to the players he feels give the team the best chance to win. I believe adding Jones is more important to winning than allowing Releford/Little to share a starting role. (If it helps, Jones is not a good 3pt shooter and will likely play the 4 position than the 3. After all, we have to make at the very least a few 3pt shots per game. That means Releford/Little will still likely contribute substantially next season.)

Remember, we tried family basketball with Roy for 15 years, and it brought us even more heart-breaking losses than the current style. (Even if you extrapolate the Self years to equal Roy's, you still get two NC's to go with all the disappointing first weekend losses.) Sure, everyone stayed at least three years, and almost no one transferred, but Roy was never able to assemble the talent necessary to win an NC (or at least to overcome his NCAA tourney-curse). When Roy finally won an NC, it was with almost entirely Matt Dougherty's players. It took until 2009 to finally validate his family-style approach to coaching basketball, but I credit that to the ease of recruiting players to the house that Dean and Jordan built. All Roy has to do now is interrupt his golf league a couple times a year to land the next McDonald's AAs.

Self's business approach will prevail. It's his job to win, and no one's going to forgive him if he declines the next championship to spare hurting the feelings of some players. So bring on Jones!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

icthawkfan: First, I want you to know that you are the "Josh Selby" on the threads of this KU site at the moment. I Love It! You are contagious just like Josh Selby is going to rub off on EJ and Tyshawn Taylor. I don't know where you came from, but you've been consistently on here the last few months and I enjoy it. Always good stuff.

I've been on here a while now so I am being a little more selective with my posts, but it's always good to see a spirited poster like yourself putting yourself out there with a voice. Keep up the good work.

Oh, finally, you actually beat me to the punch, but I was going to totally call out "Rpken88" as well for calling me ignorant because of my 810 sports radio station comment. I've never thought they had any creditibility and certainly Keitzman or whomever that joker is has zero credibility for that garbage he said.

Let's go get Terrence Jones!

Joel Hood 10 years, 10 months ago

kushaw, et.al.,

I used to commute between KC & Lawrence everyday and often listened to 810 WHB. Although Kietzman can be a flamethrower at times, if you listen to his show daily, his cast of personalities really provide a balanced show. I would often flip between 610 and 810, depending on commercials, interviews, etc. 610 was OK, but 810 typically had the better show. They regularly brought in national figures, like Kevin Harlan, and other voices that were more interesting to me.

Kietzman does make some outlandish predictions, but he gives sound reasons for it. He also admits when he is wrong - or the other guys on the show will remind him. But, when you are on the air that many hours per year, and all you talk about is sports, you are going to be wrong a good percentage of the time. I'm not trying to come across as a 810 homer, but I think some of the criticisms of his show are unfair.

Andrew Moore 10 years, 10 months ago

As far as KC sports radio goes, 610 is a better station than 810, and in my opinion its not even close.

KU08 10 years, 10 months ago

I need to remember that. I drive through KC probably half a dozen times per year and usually just choose the first sports radio station I can find.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 10 months ago

Although I hate Kevin Keitzman, 610 is not better than 810. 610 has more turnover than a toothless prostitute. Seron Petro might be my favorite online personality of all time.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

kushaw - glad you enjoy my posts, as i do yours (as well as most of the regulars on here, ralster, oakville, drgnslyr, memhawk, melrank, theutus, nh_jhawk, and even highelitemajor & jaybate even though we've had our spats. Sorry if I've left someone out, it's like an oscar speech trying to remember everyone to thank). As for where I came from, I'm almost 32 years old so I'm not some completely fresh-faced new jayhawk fan, but I did only get into posting frequently this past season. Mainly because I started a new job last year, which on the one hand is a total cush job that allows me ridiculous amounts of free time, yet on the other I now have no one around my job to talk to about KU basketball, at least not intelligently talk to. Also, I got into posting on baseball message boards last year for the same reason (even less people around that like Dodger baseball!), and found I really liked it. Anyway, I'm glad to see you out and about and posting after going dark before the Selby announcement. It was nerve-wrecking for sure, but how sweet it was! At any rate, I've listened to Keitzman a lot. As a general rule, any sports talk radio show anywhere isn't the most reliable place to get your information. Like I said, if you want to repeat something you heard...fine. But citing it as the "biggest sports talk show in KC" as if it gives it instant credibility and then calling you clueless was pretty ridiculous. You did a good job of digging up articles and posting links in the days leading up to the Selby/Lamb announcements, and they were more on the money, except for the ones which you called out as crap, like those of Goodman & Katz.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

By the way, thanks for the "Josh Selby" praise! I'm sure I have some detractors that would disagree, but I am humbled by the comparison nonetheless.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

KU08 - First off thanks for your support. I'm not looking to bust anyone's chops for having an opinion I disagree with, just the disrespectful manner in which it is sometimes done is pretty uncalled for, so me reminding everyone about their previous posts is just my way of trying to get them to try and be more civil in the future.

I agree that CS can't let hurting a player's feelings stop him from recruiting and playing better players. It would sadden me to see Little & Releford get the shaft, but I'd understand (although I agree I'm not sure they would get screwed even if we brought in Jones, especially Little who I think would beat him out in a competition for the starting job anyway). Like I said to me it's more a chemistry issue, or rather a need to answer any chemistry questions before moving forward. Let's say I'm right and we bring in Jones but Little beats him out for the starting spot at the 3. Is he the kind of guy that's going to sulk about not starting or not playing as many minutes? Is he going to go the press and whine about things (ahem, Tyshawn)? The team does not need any distractions. We need everyone on the same page, pulling in the same direction to achieve team goals, not individual agendas. Remember last year when Marcus got benched and didn't start a game? All he did was bust his tail, worked harder, and became our best player once conference play started. He is on record as having lookied at the tapes and admitted he needed to be putting forth more effort. Or how about the positive attitudes of Little, Releford, & EJ despite either red-shirting or not playing significant roles on what looked to be a special team. This is the kind of approach everyone should have. And I'm not saying that Jones will be a problem or distraction, just that I don't know that much about him (nor would I guess many of us do), yet many fans hear he's interested in possibly coming here and are gung-ho without a second thought simply because he's the #13 ranked recruit. The coaching staff should bring him in and make the decision as to if he's a good fit both personnel & personality wise, then decide whether to offer him the final scholarship or not. And I believe that is how they will approach it. And that is all I was saying in my initial post on the subject, that I am reserving my enthusiasm on the subject for the time being. If he's a good fit and will help us win another NC...then come on Terrence Jones!

KU08 10 years, 10 months ago

Your ability to quickly write good posts is very impressive, and I pretty much agree with everything you just wrote. I asked last night if anyone knew if Jones is a one-and-done (OAD) desiring/entitled player, but no one responded. That probably validates your statement about everyone going crazy over someone he or she has no clue about. I honestly think if Jones is OAD then he should sign with Kentucky. No post player has ever been able to master Self's system in only one season. At least with Calipari, he's all-but-guaranteed to start. If he's patient and willing to wait an extra year, KU's the best place for Jones to develop into a lottery pick. If he feels he's OAD-entitled, I agree with you that it would affect team chemistry.

In my last long post, I wanted to mention what you just wrote about Little and Releford as great team players. Wasn't it Little who could barely control himself after the UNI loss? I think Jones will have his hands full fighting those guys for time in the rotation, should he sign with KU. I'm really hoping Jones is the next Julian Wright. He seemed to channel Wright during the all-star game with sweet passes and excellent post moves.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes it was in fact Little who was as torn up as anybody over the UNI loss. I can't wait for next season to start, and I am really anxious to see what Little, TRob, Selby, & EJ are capable of.

I agree Jones was really impressive last night. As for your question, I don't really know much about Jones's intentions (if he thinks he's a OAD or not). My guess is, anyone that highly touted coming out of high school surely has aspiriations of getting to the League sooner rather than later, but that might not necessarily mean they think they are OAD material. I'm curious as to whether the impending NBA lockout will have the opposite effect next year as it did this year. That is to say, will it keep kids in school a year longer and decrease the amount of early draft entries? I hope so, and if so, that's all the more reason to try and bring in elite level talent.

Kye Clark 10 years, 10 months ago

On an unrelated note, how does everybody like the new reply feature? I've been using it for the most part, but I must admit I'm not a big fan of scrolling back up (sometimes through the entire article) to see if there's been any response to my posts. Thinking about just reverting back to the old system, although I guess that won't eliminate my need to scroll back up. If not everyone abandons it then I guess it's kind of a moot point.

KU08 10 years, 10 months ago

I like the new reply feature, but I also spend a lot of time scrolling up to see new comments. What I'd like to see is a recent comments feed (sort of like the useless twitter feed during Newell-Live Game posts) on either side of the web page's main body. Although I dislike cluttered sites, this web page is wasting a lot of real estate, and a recent comments feed could easily be integrated into the site design. Ideally, all recent comments would be abridged like the 2nd tier of replied comments and clicking on each comment would automatically position the web page on that comment in the main body. That would eliminate the time wasted scrolling through the page to view new comments.

Are you reading this JKealing?

tstanlick1909 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes JKealing,

Maybe if there was a feature that notified a user if they have had a comment replied to, who replied it, and what article it was in.

Rybarns 10 years, 10 months ago

Jesse - do you have any updates on the 2012 stud from the Dallas area, Zach Peters, committing this week? Don't be alarmed by his current 3-star ranking. Consider that his final 4 are UK, KU, UNC and UT. I've seen him play in person. He's a mini-Tyler Hansbrough.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 10 months ago

I am so late on this story it's ridiculous but getting Shelby and possibly Jones is undoubtedly a home run. Maybe even a grand slam.. But it seems to have come in a game we were already winning by seven runs in the top half of the ninth inning. With both Little and Relaford plus Elijah Johnson in next year's lineup, I just don't see the need to mess up the chemistry of next year's team.
Some of these players must already be questioning their roles for next year. I believe we already had a team that was quite capable of making a final four run. Sometimes you already have all the ingredients needed. Adding more, invariably takes something away.

rcjh22 10 years, 10 months ago

Selby. He's officially a jayhawk so maybe you should know his name.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks..I believe 'Jayhawk' is capitalized since you seem to worry about pointing out these things..12?