Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Recruiting focus today on Knight, likely Kentucky-bound

Several basketball recruits were in attendance at Late Night. Pictured, from left to right, are Royce Woolridge, Josiah Turner, Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Harrison Barnes.

The first day of college basketball’s spring signing period figures to be a quiet one for Kansas University’s basketball program, which hopes to receive some good news later in the week regarding prospects Josh Selby and/or Doron Lamb.

The spotlight today instead shines on John Calipari’s Kentucky program.

The Wildcats are expected to receive a commitment from Brandon Knight, Rivals.com’s No. 1-rated player, who in a 3 p.m. appearance on ESPNU, will select either Kentucky, Kansas, Florida, UConn or Syracuse.

Kentucky is the overwhelming favorite of the recruiting analysts, with nobody considered a close second.

“All signs point to Brandon Knight signing with Kentucky,” Rivals.com’s Shay Wildeboor said.

“I’d be surprised if Brandon Knight doesn’t pick Kentucky,” agreed Rivals analyst Jerry Meyer in an interview with the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Rivals.com reported that Florida stopped recruiting Knight, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., several weeks ago. KU coaches haven’t had contact with Knight for more than a month, while UConn and Syracuse have also received no serious mention of late.

“There will be some things announced Wednesday. Hopefully there’s gonna be a lot of Kentucky attached to it,” Wildcats’ coach Calipari said Tuesday on Lexy.com.

Some analysts believe Knight and No. 4-ranked Selby have decided to not attend the same college. Selby, 6-2 from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, will choose between KU, Kentucky, UConn, Tennessee and Arizona at halftime of Saturday night’s Jordan Brand Classic in New York. The game is set for 7 p.m.

“Both those guys (Selby, Knight) want to be the man,” Meyer told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Lamb, 6-4 from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will choose between KU, Kentucky, Arizona, West Virginia and UConn at the Brand Classic. St. John’s is trying to get involved.

“I think Kentucky and Kansas are his two leaders,” Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told Rivals.com. Most analysts believe West Virginia also remains in contention.

KU coach Bill Self, who signed 6-foot-3 Phoenix native Royce Woolridge in November, is hopeful KU will ink one or two additional players.

“We need to hit a home run in recruiting the next couple weeks. Hopefully we’re in position to do so. You never know until it’s done,” Self said Monday.

Self on Bzdelik

Self on Colorado’s Jeff Bzdelik being named new Wake Forest coach in a news conference this morning: “Jeff’s done a good job at Colorado. He took over a tough situation. He’s got the talent level to the point they are ready to break through and have success in the league. I think our league will miss him because I think he’s done a good job. I think it’s a great opportunity also.”

CU athletic director Mike Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera that CU assistant Steve McClain would be a candidate to replace Bzdelik. Northern Colorado’s Tad Boyle, a KU grad, also has been mentioned as a possibility.

Bohn, a former KU quarterback, told the Daily Camera that Wake AD Ron Wellman did not phone him for permission to speak with Bzdelik about the Wake Forest opening.

“I can ensure that is the case,” Bohn told the paper, when asked if he contacts his fellow ADs, when seeking to interview or hire candidates from other schools.

Bohn added to the Associated Press: “I’m pleased for Jeff. He was able to move the program forward. He wanted to be in that part of the country (North Carolina).”

Comments

gardenjay 9 years, 11 months ago

Joe Lunardi projects KU as a 3-seed in NCAA tourn. next year, beneath Duke and Georgetown. Looks like academics do matter, forget these OAD's.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 11 months ago

ANY talk of next years NCAA tourney is ludircous and stupid.

Kevin Studer 9 years, 11 months ago

Let's see....top recruits remain unsigned, no one is having a single practice for six months, underclassmen are still deciding on the draft, and we have no idea how teams will develop in the coming year...but we are using a projection of a tournament bracket 11 months away for a soapbox moment? Well, seems bullet-proof to me!

PAHAWK1 9 years, 11 months ago

You are absolutely correct. ESPN and Joe Lunardi has made it a soapbox moment. It is a joke to talk about bracket projections in April.

Joe has been put on the bracketology pedestal and ESPN has made him look like an expert. I am sure that most of the posters on this board can pick 63-65 teams prior to selection Sunday. There are 31 automatic and 34 at large bids. Based on the rankings and performance, one can pick ~30 at large teams very easily. It comes down to picking the last 4 spots. In reality, a lot of college BB followers can get 3 of the 4 remaining spots. Joe is not a whole lot smarter than many of us. In fact, KU BB followers are very smart.

Craig Lang 9 years, 11 months ago

You tell them, PAHAWK! In fact, why don't you share your bracket now and we can compare them at the end of the season and see who was closest?

Seriously, why don't you give these guys a break? These guys are paid to provide content year-round, and given that the regular college bball season is about 5 months, they still have to provide 7 months worth of content during the long off-season. When his main job is to project the layout of the tournament, you can't really blame Lunardi for providing an early tournament preview.

Viggo3003 9 years, 11 months ago

I hope Tad Boyle gets the Colorado job. For those of you that don't know he was Mark Turgeons #1 Assistant Coach and primary recruiter at Wichita State and he was well respected and did a heck of a job. He's a KU grad as well as mentioned.

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 11 months ago

I think that you guys are missing the irony. After all it was more a jab than a soapbox. That said, Duke may not recruit very hard for the players who are dead set on being one and done, but I think that Georgetown gets right into the mix... maybe they just don't have the leverage to land one or the coaching to develop a player for the NBA in one year.

Joel Hood 9 years, 11 months ago

Tad Boyle's senior day was in 1985. I'll never forget the sign someone had in the AFH crowd -

"Look out Dr. J - Captain Tad is on the way!"

Best of luck to Captain Tad...

Ron Franklin 9 years, 11 months ago

I'm counting on Selby picking KU. But, I don't really see much definite playing time here for Lamb, so I"m guessing he'll end up at the depleted UofK.That doesn't bother me though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Little & Releford, & hopefully the second-coming of Markieff (like Marcus version 2010).

And a lot of people are saying Reed won't play much, but I see him as our most consistent three-ball threat. I have not seen the proof that we'll dominate inside, so we definitely need a sharp shooter on the perimeter. Tyshawn would be ideal, if he could make shots. Maybe his poor shooting is a result of shooting from his stomach....seems like he starts at his gut and pushes the ball up from there.

One thing for sure, I hope CS works these guys at the stripe a little more. I'd like to see them shoot 75-77% as a team next year. High hopes, I know, but it burns for a long time when they shoot themselves out of a game by missing the charities.

MDHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, the recruits always try their hardest to look indifferent yet important. With so much ridiculous hype surrounding these guys year in and year out, I think they forget that they're just kids visiting a school to play a game. Personally, I would try a little harder to enjoy myself getting to sit in on some awesome college basketball games, and in awesome seats, no less.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 11 months ago

The reason we need Lamb is because we need someone that can create his own jumpshot. Reed and Morningstar are our only three ball threats as of right now, and neither of them can shoot off the dribble.

I say this is with the assumption that we know too little about Little and Releford to make an accurate conclusion, we'll see about them come November.

But Lamb is certainly a shooter, and a darn good one. He would make our team better by coming.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

Don't be surprised if Selby/Lamb show up as a combo package coming to Kansas.

2011 Class inside info:

Wellston [St.Louis} Junior, Ben McLemore has Kansas Number one with a bullet on his list. Why is this significant:

1] He is a 6'-5" point guard that is still growing. 2] His stats are eye-popping, 28 ppg, 13 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocked shots....at point guard!! 3] Totally under the radar because his school is closing but will spend his senior year at the famous Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. 4] Good kid, good grades, has always loved the Jayhawks. 5] HCBS likes him and has seen him. 6] He is a native Missourian [like myself] to have the good sense to get out of Tiger country and want to become a Jayhawk!!

2011 will be a significant recruiting season, with KU having anywhere from 3 or 4 or more schollies to give. It's great Bill is out there and hasn't given up on St.Louis after the Bradley Beal Ordeal.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

"Its Wednesday and the Disingenuous Create Another Opportunity--Maybe for a Good Guy from KU:"

} Bzdelik Bzgone--BzJeff Bzdelik was another of those Bzprincipled-Bzlooking but Bzdisingenuous Bzcoaches one sees so Bzmuch of in Bzcollege Bzball. Bzbuzz Bzdelik apparently Bzrealized he Bzwasn't going to Bzget it Bzdone at BzBoulder BzJuco and went Bzbackchannel with a Bzdisingenuos BzAD at BzWake BzForest. BzBoulder BzJuco is Bzfortunate to be Colorado again. Colorado could be great at hoops, if they just choose a coach that loves Colorado and plays a brand of ball kids like to play.

Man, Bzdelik just Bzkneed Colorado in the Bzgroin.

Now BzWake BzForest gets the Bz treatment. Bzgood luck.

}Dear Mike Bohn and Colorado,

Wake up and hire Joe Dooley. Joe knows the 12. Joe recruits the kind players you want. Joe won't slow the game to a crawl and call losing by narrow margins progress. And Joe would probably hire Billy Gillispie and Norm Roberts as his assistants and you would be awash in players before you could say "Buzz off, Buzz!" Flush the Princeton System now. Become a basketball program. If you need a proven head coach, then Tad Boyle would be good one from a small program, too. Janks at Illinois State would be better from a mid major. And Turg from TAM would be best. You'd have to pay Turg a ton to turn Boulder Juco back into Colorado again, because Turg has a bunch of talent down at Tumbleweed Junction, but surely Turg and family wants out of College Station!

} If Bohn at Colorado won't hire Dooley, Boyle, Janks, or Turg, shouldn't CU alumni start being called Bohn Heads?

} Any of these KU descended coaches mentioned above could win 60 percent of their games the first year with the altitude alone. Give them three years to recruit and they would win 65-70 percent. Five years and Colorado would be a recognized power.

} If Bohn won't hire any of these KU guys, can KU steal Alec Burks?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

PS Not that I'm a math major or anything but it seems like a 100 underclassmen have declared for the NBA draft. Including Seniors and European players, we're talking a big mob vying for 60 spots plus all the guys who already have NBA jerseys that don't want to go back to flipping burgers.

The OAD trend is really crowding the natural attrition rate of the NBA. The big question is with an ever increasing talent level required to make "The Show"...how come NBA basketball still sucks?

DevilHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Oakville,

Consider watching the Suns and/or the Thunder play. They are closer to KU basketball than any other team in the NBA.

That doesn't answer the question, but you might find that you can enjoy some more basketball during the year.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 11 months ago

Ralster,

I halfheartedly knew you would back Little. Yes, people pair Little and Relford as if they are interchangeable, undeservedly so. I mentioned in my post that we can't assume too much on either of these two. Those two are the best perimeter players on the roster at creating their own shot, Little especially. Lamb is smaller than the two though so I would love to run with a

Selby Lamb Little Mc Mk

That's a lineup that can run, rebound and score in bunches. A lineup a could really get excited for

OakvilleJHawk,

What a great, great day this is starting out to be.

First, Buzz Bzdelik leaves Boulder and the B12. Though he was good for practicing against a Princeton system, he was such a twit and it is such an annoying way to waste two good games each season.

Second, optimism continues to effervesce about Selby and Lamb, despite my own coward despair about them going to UK yesterday.

Third, you blow my mind with a game changing future PG likely to be 6'6, or 6'7" by the time he spreads his wings and wears the mythical bird on his hip.

You can't know how I have longed for KU to one day land its own version of Magic Johnson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no greater threat on a basketball floor than a super tall point guard!

He can get to the rim and slam.

He can shoot over every PG from Trinityville.

He can pass the alley-oop from anywhere on the floor with unobstructed vision.

He can take off for the basket from the free throw line on fast breaks.

He can post up even combo PGs all game long.

Ben McLemore, you are the KU player I have been waiting for my entire life!!

I love tall PGs!!!!!

brooksmd 9 years, 11 months ago

Bzjaybate....bzfantastic again. Bzlol

Jim Pendleton 9 years, 11 months ago

jaybate - While Alec Burks would be great to have, he would lose a year of eligibility by transferring to a school in the Big 12. This means he would not only have to sit out next year, but he would then be a Junior the following year. This happened when Luke Axtell came to KU from Texas.

Agree with you though on what former KU assts could do if they went to CU. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Bad enough that KSU is good now, I don't want to see other Big 12 teams, particularly north teams, get good also.

Hoping we can pick up the Selby/Lamb combo. Would make for an exciting season next year! Rock Chalk!!

JBurtin 9 years, 11 months ago

Q: "how come NBA basketball still sucks?" A: Style of play.

The NBA has done everything they can to turn a legitimate sport into pro-wrestling, or a monster truck rally. They don't allow the zone defenses that add such flavor on the defensive side of the ball, and they shortened the shot clock to the point that nobody has time to set up an offense. More often than not the PG just has to run the ball down the floor and shoot or drive in for a dunk. Big men in the middle are there simply for cleanup duty as there's no time to wait for them to jockey for position.

The idea is to create a fast-paced game with as much scoring as possible, but there's no question that these decisions make the game incredibly boring to watch for anyone above the age of 5.

areyouserious 9 years, 11 months ago

explain why the arenas are full every night........entertainment value. You are wasting your time by trying to compare professional sports to collegiate sports..........they get paid to entertain and sell tix, not play defense or mimick the college game.

Your response is very shallow!

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

hey blownjay. wasn't sure if you'd seen I responded to your question on yesterday's article (season in review), but it's there if you were curious as to my response.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 11 months ago

thanks ict. I've been curious about that for a long time. I'm still really young, so I am naive to this corporate beast aka the NCAA. I just like to pretend that humans are good-natured, and would just let chips fall where they are supposed to. Whoever puts in the most work, and performs at the highest levels should be rewarded.

You're right. I'm naive for letting myself think that's they way things work, when I know true motivation in this world comes from fear and greed.

So, you think people actually say "let's put Kansas in position to fall out early because their market draw is low, and let's put Duke in a position to advance...." If I was in that room, I'd be whistle-blowing like a mo-fo.

On another note. What's the word on the street in Ta Town about P. Ellis?

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey no problem man. Not like it makes anybody any happier realizing that even something we love as much as college basketball is a business.

I'd love to be in that room with the committee when they are making the brackets. I don't know that it's as blatant as them actually saying "let's put Kansas in a difficult position and Duke in a favorable one", but it's hard to overlook some of the unfairness this year. For example, it was widely believed Duke was the last of the #1 seeds. Logic would dictate that they would have to go out west (as none of the #1 seeds were from the west) and that they would be paired with the best/highest rated #2 seed. Instead, Syracuse gets sent out west and Duke get's Villanova in there region, the lowest #2 seed having lost 5 of their last 7 games coming into the tournament. When the question was posed to the committee as to why Duke wasn't paired with the top #2 seed, their response was that they were seeding the #2 seeds as much as possible on favorable location. What? Since when? They did this not only to justify giving Duke the easiest road, but it was also another example of them making a decision based on money and trying to keep 'Nova closer to home for the first 2 rounds and draw bigger crowds. Examples abound as to the unfairness. Duke getting Purdue as it's #4 seed after the Boilermaker's best player got injured. While this doesn't pertain to seeding, I know I'm not alone in saying that the Duke-Baylor game was the worst officiated game I'd seen all season. It just makes quite a few people sick.

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

As for Perry Ellis and where he'll end up, there isn't much word on the street, other than WSU fans thinking they have a realistic shot of bringing him in. The got a commitment from the Heights junior point guard recently, so they think that'll help entice Ellis to go to WSU. I tend to think that's laughable, but Maurice Evans once spurned Roy & KU to play at home, so strange things happen sometimes. Really with the kid only being a high school sophomore it would be pretty rare for him to declare his intentions at this point. I know CS has came down and saw him play a couple of times. Personally I graduated from Heights in '96 and until last semester I had a brother attending there so I've seen him a couple of times and my brother usually gives me the skinny on him. I can tell you that he's a beast - 2-time state champion & 2-time state player of the year already. He's 6'8", but not some goofy big high school kid still adjusting to his height, he's got some ball-handling skills and has a pretty decent mid-range game. Best example might be to think Marcus Morris this year, and that's what his game reminds me of a bit. He's a great kid that comes from a great family. Both of his parents used to work at a school for children with special needs before it closed down, and I want to say that his dad now works for the Wichita Children's Home. A couple of months ago I was attending my niece's middle school basketball game and Perry's dad was there. My mom knows him and went over and talked to him for a bit. She told him "my son would really like it if your son would go play at KU", and he looked over and me & my 17-month old son and we were both decked out in our KU hoodies and I gave him a wave. Anyway, I really hope he ends up at KU. I think it's important for us to be able to land elite-level in-state talent when it comes around.

techa 9 years, 11 months ago

When Lamb says Self promised him that Xavier is going pro, and that he'll get a certain number of minutes, and take Xavier's place on the team -- that sets off huge alarm bells. Assuming Self didn't tell him that, and I can't imagine he would. Self, you don't need this kind of attitude damaging the cohesiveness of your team. And you don't need "a home run" -- KU can play with anyone in the country without adding another player. It's a mistake to get too caught up in the short-term. Xavier was a great kid, and the highest-rated HS player KU has gotten under Self, but when you look at the broader picture, KU probably would have done just as well this year without him.

92Jhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Everyone wishing the CU job on a KU decendent doesn't understand Boulder very well...I lived there in grade school and moved back for seven years after college before returning to KS and if I learned one thing in my time there it was that NO ONE cares about CU hoops...I was there when Chauncy was there and they STILL didn't sell out...(the only game that sells out year in, year out is the KU game). CU (with coach Bz being the exception, because of AF and NBA experience) is the place where the careers of young coaches go to die...and I would never wish that on a Jayhawk.

DevilHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

If ASU was able to turn around its basketball program and environment by hiring the right coach (Herb Sendek), then CU can do the same.

CU already has the talent necessary to place in the top half of the Big 12. Now they need a coach who will take the program over the hump. With its football program struggling, a winning basketball season would give the fans something to cheer for.

Just remember: When it comes to basketball, KU is the exception, not the rule.

Robert Brock 9 years, 11 months ago

On top of landing Brandon Knight this week, the Squid is also expected to land a commitment from the top 2011 recruit in the land, Michael Gilchrist, whose skills are off the charts. It's bewildering but impressive to see Calimari basically cherry-picking any player he wants from each class, but we'll see how far he can get these teams in the tourney. UK is just one big revolving door now, constructed solely with OAD players. Don't know what I would think if I was a Kentucky fan right now.

tstanlick1909,

Okay, that was really vile. Way to put a damper on my great day. :-)

tstanlick1909,

Okay, that was really vile. Way to put a damper on my great day. :-)

tstanlick1909,

Okay, that was really vile. Way to put a damper on my great day. :-)

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Note: My Parkinson's was really acting up there on the send click!! :-)

9 years, 11 months ago

The best part was you were able to post your 11:57am comment prior to both of your 11:56am comments. Isn't technology great? :^)

William Weissbeck 9 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget KU was picked No. 1 by the predictors the day after the tournament last year. SI had Michigan State as no. 1 and they ended up a 5 seed. Predictions tell you whether you have to play hard or play harder. Here's hoping we play harder.

92Jhawk,

That's what people told Snyder when he went to KSU to coach football.

That's what people told Mangino when he went to KU to coach football.

That's what people told Gillispie when he went to TA&M to coach basketball.

That's what people told Majerus when he went to Utah to coach basketball.

That's what people told Howland when he went to Pitt.

That's what people told John Thompson Ver. 1.0 when he went to Georgetown.

And last but not least...

That's what people told John Wooden when he went to UCLA!

Under Dick Harp and Ted Owens there were almost always empty seats at Allen Field House.

Even LB couldn't always fill The House, if I recall correctly.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

It takes guys like Roy and Bill that can land players, coach them well enough to win 80% of their games, and be great people persons to keep any university from being a coaching graveyard. I would say fully half the Divison I majors would meet your criteria for coaching graveyards, if you view Boulder Juco as a graveyard.

Colorado needs a visionary AD and a dynamic coach capable of going up to Aspen and turning celebs into donors and fans and give those donors and fans. Frankly, though I don't like him much, Colorado needs a guy like Bruce Perle, who has a great sense of showmanship. Colorado alumni need to ante up for leasing a jet each season that flies the Aspen folks and folks from many of the affluent but far corners of Colorado's mountain country straight into Boulder and straight back out after the games. Buses and limos won't cut it in Colorado in the winter. This visionary AD has to build a business link between the celebs in Colorado and Coors Brewery. Frankly, I can't believe the idiot that owns and fritters away the Denver Nuggets--the one now trying to buy the Rams--has never accomplished this. Tooth Dr. Jerry Buss knows how to build winning basketball organizations and use celebrities to energize the base and sustain the cache of an organization. He is the real unrecognized genius of basketball organization building these days and has been for decades now. You have to get the persons that matter in your trade area to buy into your program, not just the Chancellor. The Chancellor will buy into anything that makes the university money. Chancellors are just not-for-profit-call-it-surplus CEOs of Fortune 500 sized corporations called universities. At Colorado, to get the Chancellor and regent bureaucracy to buy in, you have to retain the rich CU alums, of course, but it also means the Aspen folks. It is positively crazy to have Jack Nicholson and Kevin Costner in your state half to 3/4s of the year and not to have them in Coors Arena at courtside.

Bottom line: if you have to, you buy a fleet of Black Hawk helicopters, turn them into airborne bordellos, and fly them to Coors Arena. You do whatever you have to do that is legal to bring the celebs and their money, the corporations and their money, and the rich alums and their money and turn the Field House in Boulder into a place for photo ops. The national media would televise every CU game. Every Maybach program would want to play a home and home.

This is not rocket science.

As T.E. Lawrence wrote: "The future is not written."

kkoenig 9 years, 11 months ago

drgnslayr,

What makes you say that about a fourth scholarship for next year?

92Jhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

jaybate, I agree that there are exceptions to every rule...but my point is why take the job in Boulder, where success is a million miles away when other jobs, better jobs will open up for most from the KU tree?

I know Boulder and I know the mentality of not only the residents of the area but the mentality of the administration as well. Athletes and athletic departments are looked down upon in the Republic of Boulder, it's not an easy enviornment in which to flourish.

You made some great points regarding K State and other programs...however, the biggest difference between the Republic of Boulder and the Manhattan's and College Station's is the hunger for success...K State (I was attending KU during the "Toliet Bowl), while BRUTAL during the '80's and early 90's always had people who cared...in my opinion, those people are few and far between in Boulder.

Could I be dead wrong? ABSOLUTELY...wouldn't be the first time today....

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

kkoenig

I have no idea if this was made up by some troller or even if there is a grain of truth to it....in fact, I almost hesitate to put it up BUT, the word is that if Selby and Lamb commit to KU, Tyshawn is going to transfer back East.

Please don't kill me on this one..I truly hope it's some type of joke or hoax, but there's just enough validity that it might be possible that it can't be totally ignored.

If anyone can debunk this rumor I will happily stand corrected.

PS I still hear nothing about Elijah being in any kind of trouble.

KGphoto 9 years, 11 months ago

jaybate: I like your thinking. But Boulder locals will never buy into anything indoors. And celebs don't come to Boulder unless they're musicians. You can fill a football stadium with 40k every week because it's outdoors with a killer view of the Flatirons. But the only indoor arenas you'll consistently fill will be Fox and Boulder theaters, and the bars.

People in Boulder don't play basketball. They just don't. They hike, they run, they camp, they play ultimate frisbee, they drink good beer. Besides, it's a winter game and in the winter they ski. The snow is just getting good around Christmas. And if you've ever been skiing all day, you know you're not lifting your ass off that warm hearth and putting down that frothy stout to go watch a game on a cold bleacher in a dry arena with a couple thousand obnoxious students.

However, I would go to many games for several reasons.

1. I'm from Kansas and have a passion for basketball. This is paramount.
  2. We can show up late and sit anywhere we want. Usually right behind the CU bench.
  3. Tickets are less than a movie.
  4. It's easy to sneak booze in.
  5. It's a 5 minute walk home, or to a pub.

For a local, the most entertaining parts of a game are time outs and half-time. They provide fans with twirling cheerleaders and a general array of multi-talented band members including the spinning tubas. And if you're a real hard-core fan you can try to spot the old lady twins, who are the Boulder version of Dyan Cannon and Jack Nicholson.

Now a miracle could happen. Bohn could hire KU heritage and the program could turn around for a couple or three seasons. Hell, maybe even five. But surely then the coach would be lured away, and CU would fall back into basketball obscurity because there is no passion for it.

Their passion is for running. Go to the Bolder Boulder next month and you'll see an outdoor stadium full of people cheering for runners, just like you would see in AFH for basketball.

slayr,

University of Contucky--an institution of "lower learning." I love it! post of the day!

I have to doubt Brandon Knight's IQ, if he goes to UK.

Just as I doubted Wall's and Rose's.

Hey, I've got an idea for a slogan for a new Kentucky basketball license plate.

"Caliphucky: The Sultans of Stupid."

How do you slow down a Kentucky fast break?

Hold up a sign with a six-word sentence.

How do you get Kentucky to turn the ball over?

As them how to spell ball.

How do you beat Kentucky to a rebound--with addition, or subtraction?

Neither, they can't cipher.

How do you get Kentucky to double dribble?

As them to count above one.

(Rimshots all!)

KGphoto 9 years, 11 months ago

Oakville: Wouldn't doubt a transfer one bit. Rumor or not, you can almost taste it. In fact, if those two sign it would practically be inevitable.

But they haven't.

jhox 9 years, 11 months ago

Tyshawn transferring would make absolutely no sense at this point. You're talking about a young man who thought for sure 6 months ago he'd be declared for the NBA draft by now. If he transfers, he sits out a year, and puts his NBA dreams on hold one more year. He's finally out of Sherron's shadow. I don't think he'd let the fact that Selby or Lamb or both signed with KU worry him all that much. Elijah is another story. I'd hate to lose him, but I could see him leaving if those two both signed. I think the only reason Self didn't play him more this year was to hide him. It's no secret the NBA scouts have been really high on him. By limiting his playing time, Self could theoretically keep him around another year, for when Sherron was gone and yet we still had a lot of talent coming back. Now this rumor of him maybe being forced out...there may be something to that. I didn't like Self's failure to put that idea to rest once and for all, when he had the chance. If what Lamb said is true, sounds like Self already all but promised him a starting spot or at least significant minutes. That would concern me if I was Elijah.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I know Knight to UK is almost certain, but I wonder why? I mean, when you look at what KU and Uk come back with next year, KU seems like a safer bet. I maintain that I think Selby is probably a better guard anyway, but there are even rumors of Cal leaving for the NBA.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 11 months ago

For the love of GAWD Oakville, I can only pray that your information is correct.

I would trade Taylor for a bag of cheetos and a soda at this moment. Head case, head case, head case...

Why would you regret him transferring? Paricularly in the case we landed Selby and Lamb?

92Jhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

KGphoto...well said. When I moved back to Boulder during the mid-90's, I couldn't understand why CU didn't have a basketball tradition to go along with the football program that had been building over the previous 10 years (where is that program now? Tricky Ricky did a number on CU and they've not been able to recover...gone is the tradition of the teams from the early 90's and late 80's...will it come back? I hope so...but the fact that Hawkins has led the program for this long shows the apathy that has developed in the Republic of Bouluder)...then, I learned. People do NOT care about basketball in that area...I would submit that they don't care all that much about the Buffs during football season anymore either...the lack of angst at a loss is proof of this.

The Coors Event Center has never been a place to be. I was a season ticket holder for ONE reason, I was able to spend $300 a year to sit directly behind the CU bench...that was near the cost that I would have to spend for that ticket on game day with the 'Hawks were in town. I tried to give tickets away but other than a father who wanted to bring his son to a game from time to time, my seat was empty...and that was when CU was decent (and had MORE talent than currently resides on their roster)....

Any coach who comes in and turns that program around will be there for about as long as Turgeon was in Wichita at WSU...while it saddens me to say it, I believe CU to be the worst coaching job in the Big 12...

JayDocMD 9 years, 11 months ago

I have to agree with Jaybate on questioning the intelligence of Knight and his 5.6 GPA . After his selection of Kuntucky today he said: “I felt it was a place that had great players, a great environment and just a place where I can elevate my game, with great coaches and great pieces around me already."

Did he really say "pieces around me already"? Has he read the news in the last two weeks? The only other "pieces" to be found in Lexington include a .45 caliber piece ditched by UT's Tyler Smith as he drove his rental car through town, that Louisville piece of tail that got run out of town after Pitino had her on the dinner table along with his tiramisu, and possibly HCBS's piece that blew off while driving through town on a windy day in a convertable.

Other than that, all they have is couple other high school senior commits, Deandre Liggins, plus two moderately attractive (by Kuntucky standards) equipment managers. Sounds liked their primed for another deep tourney run to me...

KYJayhawk10 9 years, 11 months ago

krohnutz: im afraid that youre right about tt although i don't think he's beyond hope. next year with an influx of skilled guards (not to mention ej who i have a lot of hope in) he will hardly get better minutes than this season, and i think that can only make things worse for someone who expects to play 30 min a game for a premier team while only posting mediocre numbers. HCBS likes to get those tough inner city guards (collins, robinson) and sculpt them into team leaders. for tt this hasn't really worked and i'm concerned that it may not for selby either. selby loves to take alot of shots (even for a kid in high school) and from what i've heard has a pretty big head which may hurt us at times. but we'll have to wait till fall

I guess there's no point in telling anyone to stop the jokes about the state of kentucky but my life as a KU fan in the bluegrass gets a little more depressing every time i scroll through the comments....

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

"Some Recruiting Rumors Recently Foretold by jaybate's Fortune Teller--Madame Sosostris with a Wicked Deck of Cards"

~17 April 2010; 09:30 EST--President Obama reveals that he never went to college, commits to KU to fulfill a dream of becoming the world's first middle-aged President/hoopah and All-American point guard. At his press conference, he tells Dick Vigorish that if Duke's Mike K, or WVU's Bob Huggins were to try to muscle KU next season, the President would order two Northrop Grumman X-47B drones already loitering over both men's houses to launch strikes with extreme prejudice.

~17 April 2010; 09:40 EST--Two KU grads working deep in the bowels of the NSA use Above Top Secret Long Wave Radiation Technology to bring Wilt Chamberlain from back through a space time worm hole and up and over the event horizon of a black hole located near the world's largest ball of twine in Cawker City, Kansas. Wilt announces he will join KU for the 2011 season and use his last season of eligibility to win the ring he never got the last times he tried. Wilt's new attorney, Morrey "The Fish" Krinkelbein says that NCAA regulations do not yet prevent dead players reanimated from using their remaining eligibility if they wish.

~17 April 2010; 09:43 EST--Chancellor Bernadette Grey-Little announces she, too, has a year of remaining eligibility, will have surgery to change gender, and become the first Chancellor/Player/Transsexual in NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball history. Grey-Little promises to man-up and get to the rim for Coach Self, while noting that she has hands "the size of a Buick hub cap" and can dunk ambidextrously even before the operation. Grey-Little will be listed on the roster as Bernard Grey-Little after the transmogrification.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

~17 April 2010; 10:00 EST--Derek Rose and John Wall announce that, because they never took their SAT's and so were never really admitted to college, they essentially have their entire college eligibilities remaining, and commit to KU in order to "finally get some coaching from some sucka."

~17 April 2010; 10:12 EST--Reader Rabbit announces that he will commit to play basketball for KU, because "Coach Self is the only coach of a Maybach program that insists his players be able to read the playbook themselves, and flatly refuses the practice followed a certain other programs of letting players use their surrogate SAT test takers to read the playbook out loud to them. Reader Rabbit is reputedly lightening fast in the open court, a vegetarian at training table, and possessed of extremely lucky feet.

~17 April 2010; 10:29 EST--Manute Bol II, 8'3" point guard and son of former NBA center Manute Bol, announces that he will attend the University of Kansas. Coach Self says he believes the competition at point guard among Manute Bol II, President Obama and Bernard Grey-Little will be intense and help each player get better. Self says he anticipates a committee approach among the three adding, "We believe these three players are going to give us the opportunity go small, big, or freakishly gigantic."

~17 April 2010; 10:30 EST--Josh Selby and Doron Lamb announce they will play for KU and intend to "kick some kitty" from Lexington, to Columbia, to Manhattan.

(Note: All fiction and satire in related posts and with the usual absence of malice.)

Rock Chalk!

techa 9 years, 11 months ago

DID LAMB REALLY SAY THAT? CHANGE HIS NAME TO WOLFINLAMBSCLOTHING!! When Lamb says Self promised him that Xavier is going pro, and that he'll get a certain number of minutes, and take Xavier's place on the team -- that sets off HUGE ALARM BELLS. Does anyone believe Self told him that? So he's trying to sell himself to ???? (Not Self, who knows what he did(n't) tell him. CS, you don't need this kind of attitude -- it will hurt the team in the long run. And you don't need "a home run" -- KU can play with anyone in the country without adding another player. 4 Bigs -- Mc, Mk, Withey,TRob 2 Wings -- Little, Releford 4 Smalls -- TT, EJ, Reed, Morningstar It's a mistake to get too caught up in the short-term, and OADs are all short-term, and hard to integrate. Xavier is a great kid, and the highest-rated HS player KU has gotten under Self, but when you look at the broader picture, KU w/o him is B12 champ and goes at least as far in the tourney. Plus you lose the circus.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

"To OAD, or not to OAD; That is not the question. To thug, or not to thug; That is the question." --Bill Shakespeare Head Coach Stratford on Avon University

Duke's Mike K provides an interesting historical case study, regarding becoming so successful one can have all the great players one wants that will jump after a year and create a revolving door problem triggering lack of continuity.

(Note: whew, that was a mouthful!)

First there were a flurry of Duke rings.

Then came Elton Brand.

Then jumped Elton Brand.

Elton Brand was probably the prototype for all the OADs that followed.

Then Mike K went a couple more years of Duke being a revolving door of guys leaving early.

Throw in bouts of nervous exhaustion, job burn-out and perhaps an organ problem precipitating a leave taking and...

Then Mike K seemed to start recruiting the best athletes at every position that would stay a few years, because the pros did not want them early; Kyle Singler being a current example. The guys he wanted had to be great shooters, and tough,. or big lugs the pro's wouldn't steal early.

Then Mike K ceased to win all the time and ceased to go deep in the tourney every year.

Then Mike K decided to supplement lost recruiting prestige with coaching Olympic Ball to try to keep getting some ballers.

Then Mike K embraced good trey shooters with thugging whenever he got down ten against a team playing a conventional pace, or 4 against a possession team.

Then Mike K won a ring.

To OAD, or not to OAD, is not really the question.

To thug, or not to thug; that's the question.

And I think Self knows it and has pretty much recruited that way from the beginning. He keeps a long term nucleus of shooters and glue men and recruits impact players that the pros will not likely grab for a couple of years.

You recruit OADs all the time, not so much to land them frequently, because you can't, I suspect, unless you are practicing checkbook recruiting. You recruit them to keep your program's initials on the hot list of all top players and in the media. Its brand management first, and get lucky once in a great while picking up a crumbling deal involving an OAD.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Once every five years one of these OAD's check book recruiting deal will blow apart, because some slick coach gets caught in a fecal storm of investigations, or because he jumps to the L, or another school. OAD Player A falls back onto a KU, or a Duke, because the investigative spotlight is just too hot to try to work out another checkbook recruiting deal in time for the player's one season in college. The OAD Player A defaults to a clean program that wins a lot of games and so keeps his name in the minds of the NBA GMs, but without the big check from an alumni with deep pockets. KU, or Duke, try to make it up to him in small ways. They get a job for his parent, so his parents can move to town and watch him play. And maybe there are other legal "helps" I don't know about.

Anyway, Self probably doesn't have the check book out the way Tim Floyd apparently did at USC before he got fecal canned and washed up on the river bank of the Rio Grande near his Alma Mater, for a chance to go straight. Talk about a chance on a Jenny Craig diet.

Self, like Mike K, and Roy, and Jimmy B, is playing back-up. He's playing default. He's positioning to pick up the broken deals, or the guys and their parents that finally come face to face with check book recruiting and the slimers that do it, and say, maybe we better just go with one of the traditional programs and hope junior makes the bones fair and square in pro ball a couple years down the road.

KU has so much to lose by cheating big time that it would really be stupid to cheat big time, when the coach and team can keep winning 80% of the time with a huge number of the best of the non OADers, and so sustain the goose that lays the 24 karat egg. And every once in awhile, an OAD's deal busts, and he comes to KU.

There's a reason so many of KU's best players select KU at the last second, often after bailing out of a long standing committment elsewhere.

In my humble opinion, unless KU goes in for checkbook recruiting, it will always be a rare occurence for KU to land a true OAD.

Why?

Again, to put it bluntly: because I believe OAD's mostly go to the highest bidder in a checkbook recruiting game.

Do I know this for a fact?

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

But there are just too many great players going to lesser programs with lesser coaches for there not to be money driving their choices--big money I suspect.

I can't prove this. I have no inside info. It is just that it looks like a duck and quacks like one, so I am inclined to say, "Hi, Daffy."

To reiterate, KU, I suspect, does not practice checkbook recruiting.

I doubt Duke does either. Nor Syracuse. I doubt most of the programs on a long run of success with model coaches play the checkbook recruiting game. They don't have to. Their coaches and programs have enough cache to attract a lot of very good lesser players, good enough to keep the winning percentages up and to occassionally win a ring the hard way, or with the very occassional OAD, whose deal blew up at a school of "lower education," as Dragonslayr recently coined the phrase.

Note that Jim Boeheim has not had a run of Carmelos. To have a great run of these guys I believe now that you have to practice checkbook recruiting.

Roy has had a few and he's won a few rings, but now he's .500.

Getting a run of OADs is what Pentagon strategists would label catastrophic success.

Roy couldn't reload. He had to rebuild. Roy probably cried more about being .500 than he ever did about losing a close one in the Madness.

Coaches want to win a ring or two to arrive, to keep people from saying they can't win the big one.

But what coaches really like to do is win 75-80 percent of the time. They know that is real job security at most places. And they are competitive folks and its just more fun to win most of the time than to win a ring or two and then stink for awhile. Ask Billy Donovan.

So for Self,the question now is not to OAD, or not to OAD.

The question is to thug, or not to thug.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Coaches are influenced strongly by the success of coaches that they consider peers or superiors.

Duke's Mike K is the top of the heap in a coach like Self's eyes. Long career. Stability. Sparkling W&L statement. Rings.

Mike K just won a ring with a team very much like Self's, only it lacked an OAD and it thugged decisively when it needed to to prevent a loss, rather than just thugging in a tit for tat way when an opponent forced one into grind it out.

Mike K proved that if you get even farther down in the gutter than the stereotyped thuggers that you will win a ring, because you have more shooters and more pieces than the stereotypical thuggers.

Bill Self has to look at Mike K and say, "If we had thugged like Duke, I would be visiting Boone again and getting $6mil per year instead of $3.5M. My kids would all be set for life right now. I could quit whenever I wanted."

Self has to think: I'm not willing to go full thug just because a few bad actors like Ratso and Huggins do it. But Mike K, Mr. Winningest Active guy formerly known as a coach, now there's a guy I have to consider as a legitimate precedent.

Break out the brass knuckles, boys, its no longer just about getting better. Its about going full thug.

Oh, how I hope he doesn't go this way.

But what choice does he have?

Mike's children and grandchildren are probably about to be set for life.

And Bill's aren't yet.