Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Brandon Knight picks Kentucky

Brandon Knight, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has decided to play college basketball at Kentucky.

Knight, who is Rivals.com’s No. 1-ranked player, announced for the Wildcats today over Kansas, Florida, UConn and Syracuse in a 3 p.m., signing day show on ESPNU.

His signing with Kentucky on the first day of the month long signing period comes as no surprise. Florida stopped recruiting him several weeks ago, while KU has had no contact with Knight for more than a month. UConn and Syracuse also received no serious mention of late.

The Jayhawks are hoping to land one or two players on Saturday. No. 4-ranked Josh Selby and No. 21-rated Doron Lamb are slated to announce their college choices at the Jordan Brand Classic game in New York (7 p.m., Madison Square Garden).

Selby, 6-2 from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, will choose between KU, Kentucky, UConn, Tennessee and Arizona. Lamb, 6-4 from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will choose between KU, Kentucky, Arizona, West Virginia and UConn. St. John’s is trying to get involved.

Comments

jayhawkinnc 9 years, 10 months ago

not surprised. who knows....maybe Calipari will bolt for the NJ Nets job and want to coach J. Wall. Then Knight can pull an Xavier move and come to KU! wishful thinking i guess.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Kentucky? LOL! No big surprise here! Hopefully, everything else falls where they may be. One thing of note. I'm paraphrasing here, but when asked who Knight was going to try and recruit to play alongside him at Kentucky, he gave these players and said there was still a lot of great players out there.

CJ Leslie Selby Corey Joseph Terrence Jones

As you can see there is no mention of Doron Lamb anywhere. Also, the main Modertor on ESPNU (The young guy with black hair) mentioned that Selby has stated that he has no problems playing on the same court as Brandon Knight. Who Knows?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Ray McCallum is a class act! The way he presented himself in his announcement was first class. I think it's refreshing that he is staying home and going to play for his Dad at Detroit Mercy. This gives Detroit Mercy instant credibility to possibly compete against Butler in the Horizon League. Class Act!

BringBackNike 9 years, 10 months ago

Rose - National Runner-up Evans - Elite 8 Wall - Elite 8 Knight - ??

I wouldn't say its a bad thing having a stud one and done PG. Everyone keeps acting like its not a big deal. Point guard play is so important in college hoops, just ask UNC. This is another huge signing for The Squid and puts even more importance on KU getting Selby. Though I will be surprised if Selby chooses an Adidas school with his close affiliation with Jordan Brand (a nike affiliate, also his AAU sponsor and the host of the game he is announcing his decision).

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

No National Championships. And as someone pointed out...Rose doesn't get credit for "national runner-up". I guess elite 8 appearances and a vacated Final Four aren't considered "a bad thing" to you, we just have higher expectations here at KU.

hawkitup 9 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to point out that Tyreke Evans only made it to the "Sweet 16" NOT the "Elite Eight."

prusso25 9 years, 10 months ago

selby is coming to ku and lamb is going to the uk. Ee take the big 12 yet again.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

BringbackNike: Evans lost in the Sweet 16 to Mizzou.

BringBackNike 9 years, 10 months ago

damn, you're right. I'm going to get eaten alive for that one.

adamjhwkfan 9 years, 10 months ago

and I'm not sure you can technically say Rose was a runner-up either! HA

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

All I've heard about is that Selby is on a heavy KU lean, and that Lamb isn't that enamoured with Kentucky either. Did Selby even visit Kentucky? If Lamb choses a team other than Kansas, I think it'll be UCONN.

Ruppman 9 years, 10 months ago

Did you not hear his high school coach say, it was either UK or KU?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Big props to Ray McCallum and Trey Ziegler for staying home and playing with their fathers at Detroit Mercy and Central Michigan. Pertty cool stuff!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

jaminrawk: That is all I have read as well. I just don't think Lamb goes to UK. I am not confident that he would choose KU either. Who knows with Lamb? I do know that I would really like to see him in a KU uniform. I think UCONN is a very good possibility considering Roscoe Smith is there.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Those NY guys like Lamb like to stay close to home, however, KU has opened up the East with Bill Self in charge. The thing is, I heard that Selby and Lamb will be making their announcement together. Perhaps a rumor, but to me that makes me think they are going to the same place. Also Lamb's comment, though maybe unfounded, that Self said if X left he would be able to be plugged in immediately, makes me think KU is the leader. All I know is that I really hope on Saturday we see two great high school ballers announce that they are coming to AFH next year.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

jaminrawk: I heard that Lamb was making his decision before Selby does at halftime of the Jordan Brand Classic. I like your post better and the idea of them choosing together, but I am going to remain skeptical until the National Letter of Intent actually comes into the Mail Slot of Bill Self and the KU Athletic Dept.

I am just tired of getting my hopes up only to get deflated. 1) X last year on ESPNU 2) Bradley Beal this year 3) Potentially with Lamb or Selby or both 4) Adrian Payne 5) H. Barnes

Some from the past

Felix Lopez Baron Davis Ricky Price Thomas Hill

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

I had also read that Lamb was announcing earlier during the event than Selby.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 10 months ago

Selby and Lamb to KU. This is what people who follow AAU and even some other recruits are saying.

JayDocMD 9 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree with Jaybate on questioning the intelligence of Knight and his 5.6 GPA. After his selection of Kuntucky today he said: “I felt it was a place that had great players, a great environment and just a place where I can elevate my game, with great coaches and great pieces around me already."

Did he really say "pieces around me already"? Has he read the news in the last two weeks? The only other "pieces" to be found in Lexington include a .45 caliber piece ditched by UT's Tyler Smith as he drove his rental car through town, that Louisville piece of tail that got run out of town after Pitino had her on the dinner table along with his tiramisu, and possibly HCBS's piece that blew off while driving through town on a windy day in a convertible.

Other than that, all they have is a couple other high school senior commits, Deandre Liggins, plus two moderately attractive (by Kuntucky standards) equipment managers. Sounds like their primed for another deep tourney run to me...

1977kufan 9 years, 10 months ago

I certainly hope that both Lamb and Selby come to KU; however, I am not getting my hopes to high. The way that we "exited" the Dance (with the solid #1 rating before meeting that "powerhouse" basketball school from Cedar Falls, IA) and with other schools with their "hats in the ring" leaves me with diminished hopes and a sense of concern. I would be happy just to get Selby. Selby plus Lamb would be incredible!!!

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I am going to remain skeptical as well. High school kids change their minds liek they change socks, but the amount of work Self has put in with Selby and Lamb lately leads me to believe we are the leaders for both. He pretty much stopped recruiting Knight because we all knew he was destined to play at UK. I was pleasantly surprised to see Selby out perform (in my opinion) Knight during the McDonalds AA weekend. Take away that last three-pointer by Knight, and Selby was easily better. Plus, Selby just feels like a Self PG. He is tough, quick, great inside or out and he plays defense like a champ. Lamb seems like a clone of Mario Chalmers as well.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Last one, I promise.

The real comment that got me excited about Selby was when he was listing things he looked for in a team at McDonalds AA weekend. He said he was looking for a team that plays "half court". That is precisely KU. UK runs the dribble-drive which is very different. Throw in the open spot at PG, considering Tyshawn and Elijah are both combo guards, and it just seems like the right fit. Hell, KU has run a three guard offense before. I could easily see Selby, Johnson/Taylor, Lamb work as well as Chalmers, Collins and Robinson did. Self likes three guard offense. Remember Brown, Williams, Head at Illinois? Anyway, it should be interesting.

tis4tim 9 years, 10 months ago

UK also got a commitment from junior Michael Gilchrist, who apparently has been saying since 8th grade he would go where Cal goes.

In other news, Doc Rivers is thinking of stepping down from the Celtics. Weren't we rumored to be courting his son? Any coaching positions we can use to entice him to KU?

Lone_salina_kufan 9 years, 10 months ago

Mike Rosario was granted a conditional release from Rutgers. Supposedly they were going to barr him from coming to KU and Florida specifically. Maybe a back up plan??? Anybody have any info on that?

KY_Cats1 9 years, 10 months ago

...and the beat goes on for Coach Cal and the Cats. Once again on our way to the top recruiting class in the land. The best players know that Lexington is the only place to come to showcase their skills.

Congrats to UK and Big Blue Nation!

Once again thanks to this website for posting on UK's success. Some how I just knew this would be on here. The obsession here with all things UK continues.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Easy E was profound when he said, "Started talkin' sh-t wouldn't you know, reached back like a pimp and slapped that ho."

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Love that "KY" is in your handle. I knew that was how they "got down" in Lexington. Would all of the fans of teams that haven't won a national title in the past 10 years please hold their comments until their team does something, anything? Thanks.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey KY_Jelly, maybe you can print up T-shirts celebrating signing Knight, kinda like you did when you were number one in the polls...for one week...in January. Seriously, the bar has been lowered so much at Kentucky that Calipari was out signing commemorative bottles of makers mark bourbon with his face silhoutted in white (completely ridiculous looking...it was hilarious!). My question is...what exactly was anybody commemorating? An elite 8 appearance? Turning over almost half the roster with one-and-dones? Hanging onto Rod Strickland after he got his FOURTH DUI?!? I guess that stuff is "success" at UK these days.

rockchalkcs 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey I read this message on the espn article regarding Knight :P It's still funny and oh so true.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

lol, yeah. Glad you liked it. Sorry it wasn't more original. I wouldn't have posted it here if it hadn't been in response to that troll on our message board. Plus it gave me an excuse to point out that Rod Strickland - who I didn't know was an assistant there - got another DUI.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure it will be a great year for the big blue, they are getting much less talented players this year than last, and they will be getting bounced out in the second round due to the field increasing to 96. So yes go Big Blue Nation a nation of one and dones.

Dan Harris 9 years, 10 months ago

Seems like your the one with the obsession, for KU not uk!!

jwalker1 9 years, 10 months ago

Yes, they may get a good recruiting class, but does that guarantee success? The answer is no, and by the way who beat this so called Coach Cal? That's right our Bill Self. ROCK CHALK!!!!!!

rockchalkcs 9 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, because had the rivals #1 player gone to say, UConn or syracuse, there wouldn't have been a story on it.

So, once again thanks for wasting your time posting on a KU site showcasing your ignorance. By all means stay, you obviously have nothing better to do. Especially doing any homework, why bother trying to improve that graduation rate?

I wouldn't get too infatuated with Coach Cal either, we've all seen where his loyalty lies. (That's money by the way in case you were clueless, which wouldn't be surprising)

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Kentucky has missed a Final 4 for 13 years consecutive and still counting.......................................

newyorkjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

KY_Cats1-

I want to start this rant by admitting that I admire your program. There's nothing wrong with Coach Rupp or the dynamic program that he helped create. Kentucky's total win record was built off of a fine tradition, a strong following, great players, and a respectable string of coaches.

My post is not aimed at attacking Coach Calipari even though I could... his two most recent coaching venues in the college game ended with scandals that just so happened to turn up directly after he left. Furthermore, the guy has had as much NBA talent in the past 3 seasons as Kansas has had over the past 8, and over those past 8 seasons... Kansas = 1 championship, Calipari = 0. But let's not focus on that...

Let's not focus on the teamwork, or lack thereof, where UK, with two top 3 picks, 5 NBA draft entries, a "top tier" coach as you'd say, and STILL couldn't get past the Elite 8.

Let's not focus on the differences between the programs' most recent successes... where Kansas has been to every NCAA tournament since 1990, and has been a #1 seed 2 out of the last 3 seasons, while Kentucky couldn't make the tournament even once throughout Gillispie's tenure.

Let's just focus on you, KY_Cats1... let's just focus on what you brought to the table today... you achieve a great honor of attracting an academically qualified kid, with a perfectly fine demeanor, and awesome basketball skill, and you fail to find the capability of simply celebrating with class - by celebrating with your own crowd, rather than being a classless clown and posting confrontational manure ("manure" - i'm sure you're familiar with that word, your state is filled with it) on a website that exists for those who simply choose to celebrate another program. Get a life, get some class, leave us alone, and learn that celebrations are really only worth it when you do something with the pieces you collect. Congrats on getting another great PG... and congrats for getting another reason to cry when your team loses in the sweet 16, in spite of possessing championship caliber talent.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 10 months ago

I hate to say this but from what I am hearing Selby and Lamb to Kentucky as well.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen: I would like to know what you're hearing? You got a source? That's completely opposite of what most pundits are saying.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

got to love the "what I am hearing" crowd, or the "my sources say", or "trust me, I know" people.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 10 months ago

True that. The only people that know about their decisions are their parents and most likely their coaches. So unless these posters are tight with the above, the significance is nil.

duanep5ku 9 years, 10 months ago

KY Cats1 I hate to burst your bubble because you seem a little slow but I will try so read slow buddy so you will understand what I'm saying to you. 1st your on this site why? You do know that it's a recruiting story update dumbo and every site is reporting the story because it's a sports story and about KU fans on here worried about UK not hardly yet anyway because you still did not hang that banner this year, So win a NCAA championship first keep your coach, stay off probation a while and come back and talk when you win something or you even play KU in a game other wise I am not worried about UK sorry your still irrelevant to me. KY think about why you come on here before you post? Do you seek attention so clueless win a title again, then you can talk trash PS, KY you do know that UK sites will also post stories from this site and often copy and post it on UK sites too if the articles are about recruits and once again need I remind you that you are on this site so your comment on here makes you look stupid and dimwitted at best but then I guess that explains to me why your BB program may be the most illiterate program in the nation academic wise. I hope you know that all you're one and dones, their only coming to UK's NBA farm system not because of your tradition or your pathetic schools tradition because they do not care about UK I guess if you go to UK that explains to me why your a little slow but you do know UK has fan sites too for you if you need attention

bradynsdad 9 years, 10 months ago

thanks for pulling your tail out from between your legs kycats. your are welcome in my book, stay on here. ku fans are very insightful and i know you will learn alot. i think we get selby for sure but lamb may want his own school. now if they both come i see no reason why we arent in the top five next season.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

You all are welcome! Here is the ESPN "Insider" article by Chad Forde about KU's recruiting at the moment.

Kansas in a Recruiting Power Outage?

We wrote earlier this month that although Kansas only has one player signed in the 2010 recruiting class (Royce Woolridge), it is currently in the mix for some of the top talent in the nation. Stud freshman Xavier Henry has announced that he will enter the NBA draft so what does Kansas have to work with in 2010-11?

If you look around the internet, it almost sounds grim. Jeff Goodman of FoxSports has almost every undecided blue-chip recruit in the nation headed to Lexington. If it is somehow possible to replace five players with ten, then look out for Kentucky.

More likely is that one or two will head to UK, and a couple of others will see diminished playing time in their future and opt to go elsewhere.

KU is still believed to be a top choice for the likes of Doron Lamb, Oregon native Terrence Ross and PG Josh Selby, amongst other undecided preps. Calipari has the hot hand right now, but Self can still point to that 2008 championship banner in the rafters of Allen Fieldhouse.

He also has a pretty darn good roster of returning players to plug incoming freshmen into.

Even without Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins and Henry, KU can count on three X factors: the Morris twins shining in their junior year, the play of Tyshawn Taylor (who, after a somewhat disappointing sophomore year, still has a lot to prove) and the emergence of Mario Little, a redshirt senior who has been one of the top players in practice this season (and has often drawn the task of guarding Henry on the scout team).

It will also be interesting to see what Thomas Robinson is able to do next season. The hyped freshman seemed lost at times during play but after a summer of workouts and lifting, he could make a jump similar to that of the Morris twins this season.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for posting that! You'd posted an article yesterday and I had commented on Goodman (as well as Andy Katz & Dick Vitale) being so incredibily enamored with Kentucky, Their bias is sickening. If I'm remembering right, Goodman is the worst, if for no other reason than his infatuation with Ashley Judd (although for some reason it seems like maybe that's Pat Forde, in his weekly article "the minutes")

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

It's amazing that an article like that can't surface in the mainstream of CBS, ESPN, Fox Sports, and CNNSI.

rockchalkcs 9 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, and I have a nagging feeling that Coach Cal and WWWes are gonna manage quite a few more recruits...

Guess we'll see on Saturday.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 10 months ago

An interesting development is brewing in St. Louis as well. Ben McLemore, one of the top targets of many universities for the class of 2011 has gone on the record as saying KU is his favorite school and he wants to play in Lawrence. His teammate is Bradley Beal, who had KU as his #2 choice behind Florida. Now, Florida has lost Austin Rivers, likely to Ole Roy, and I wonder if Beal would change his tune if his teammate, McLemore, commits to KU in 2011 .... It would be a heck of a tandem to land.

superdave 9 years, 10 months ago

No surprise at all - Coach Cal always gets the top recruits. His style of play spotlights the ball handling talents of guards that need to prove to NBA GM's what they can do. Where else would you advise a guy like Rose/Wall to go? As much as we (justifiably) despise Cal, I understand why players go there. Let's hope we can land either Lamb or Selby and consider it a victory to sign somebody that Cal wants. I'm guessing we get Selby, but won't be the least bit surprised if both join Knight.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

jaminrawk: I read that info as well on rivals. Sounds like a pretty good kid!

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

ralster - I agree we can still have a good team next year with the team as is. What would worry me is that if the scenario were to play out like you described what does that mean if KU can't lure even one top flight recruit? The implications beyond next year's squad would keep the message boards busy for months. That is what would worry me - the bigger picture.

That being said, I don't think we'll have to worry about that, but Saturday can't get here fast enough.

Kevin Huffman 9 years, 10 months ago

I see two names missing from your listing....Morningstar & C.J. Henry

Robert Brock 9 years, 10 months ago

I will be shocked if Marcus and Little play any significant minutes on the wing this season. They can perform at a high level on the offensive end, but who would they guard? The lineup as it is currently configured has some nice peices, but title contention is really maximized with the addition of Selby and possibly Lamb. Honestly, the current backcourt scares me. Taylor needs to continue to make strides this offseason, and we don't really know what to expect from EJ. There is no guarantee Selby comes in and sets the world on fire next year, but there's really no question he can compete for quality minutes on this squad.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

Who would they guard? Well if we are to believe reports Little can guard the 2, 3, or 4. Marcus would most likely guard the 4 when he is on the court. I mean, he was a pretty decent defender this year, not sure why next year would be any different.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 10 months ago

I have an aau coach as a friend and he told me Lamb and Selby to Kentucky. So unless he is lying about it, I don't know. I will give his name after they commit.

techa 9 years, 10 months ago

Did Lamb really say that? Change his name to wolfinlambsclothing!! When Lamb says Self promised him that Xavier is going pro, and that he'll get a certain number of minutes, and take Xavier's place on the team -- that sets off huge alarm bells. Does anyone believe Self told him that? So he's trying to sell himself to ???? (Not Self, who knows what he did(n't) tell him. CS, you don't need this kind of attitude -- it will hurt the team in the long run. And you don't need "a home run" -- KU can play with anyone in the country without adding another player. 4 Bigs -- Mc, Mk, Withey,TRob 2 Wings -- Little, Releford (Morningstar) Teahan 4 Smalls -- TT, EJ, Reed, CJ, Woolridge (Morningstar) It's a mistake to get too caught up in the short-term, and OADs are all short-term, and hard to integrate. Xavier is a great kid, and the highest-rated HS player KU has gotten under Self, but when you look at the broader picture, KU w/o him is B12 champ and goes at least as far in the tourney. Plus you lose the circus. Then when you get to a Final Four, with a tight team, you get the buzz. And the 2011 kids.

jhokfan 9 years, 10 months ago

KY:

You remind me of this KU obsessed Kentucky fan from last season who kept posting about how great the wildcats were going to be. Can not be stopped, will not be stopped, yada, yada, yada. Made a complete a$$ of himself. Oh wait, that was you.

Why don’t you put away the banjo and go brush your tooth and try to salvage what little remaining self respect your parents failed to instill in you.

gardenjay 9 years, 10 months ago

KY - it's 'somehow' not 'some how'. Driving me nuts.

I like talent, but have no patience for the OAD's. Clearly they should go directly to NBA or to an NBA farm league if their interest in college hoops doesn't extend to the classroom. Perhaps it is an admission that the NBA alone is really not that interesting, in that it needs this extra publicity step.

Alternatively, universities could just make college B-ball professional, with agreements that the $$ raised go to academics (ha ha). After all, that is where college B-ball stands right now, except that the players are not compensated for their value to the university.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Knight choosing UK means only one thing. Cal will not be going to Jersey this season. The Ruskie and the NBA must need another year to work out the deal. Or maybe Cal and the Ruskie have decided to let someone else be the broom for next season and sweep out all the dead wood, so that Cal can come in and start clean; that would be the smart play on Cal's part.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

could be that Cal is still going and he just didn't tell Knight his plans. Or it could mean that Cal is waiting to see how the lottery shakes out and if Jersey lands Wall in the draft.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen,

Selby and Lamb to UK makes the most sense to me.

But what if either Selby, or Lamb, have character? What if their parents are street smart, or well educated, and don't want their sons lying down with dogs and getting fleas?

Then where are they most likely to go?

People forget that not all kids are suckers.

And Mrs. Selby probably wants to her and her son to a safe place.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 10 months ago

ive been thinking about this, and if we dont manage to land either selby or lamb; it will be as much of a symbolic loss as an actual one. sure, we'll do fine next year regardless; but i'm concerned about the years after. who do we blame if KU is no longer an appealing destination for blue chip recruits?

an appalling loss in the second round pretty much negates whatever we accomplished in regular season. it also probably hurt sherron's draft pick. not surprisingly, xavier and cole leave also. i'm a lifelong jayhawk fan but is it ok for me to feel like coach self is partially responsible for where we are? i mean, he is in charge of recruiting and he was in the drivers seat the UNI game.

i apologize for my negativity, but I am, like many of you, frustrated.

jhokfan 9 years, 10 months ago

This is no big surprise. I fully expect Kentucky to walk away with the best recruiting class. Kentucky is a program with a win at any cost mentality. They have already compromised what little remaining integrity they have by eliminating all academic standards. Just hiring Calipari is evidence enough that they are willing to risk probation if it translates to W’s. As long as Calipari is the coach he'll pull in the top recruits. Get used to it.

On the bright side, it didn't do them any good last season and we can expect kycats to regularly make him self available as a source of amusement. Ever community needs a village idiot – he’s ours.

brcook99 9 years, 10 months ago

I think KU will get at least Selby or Lamb and I think there's a chance we get both but it's slim.

I don't think we should be feeling negative as KU fans ... what other program has been at the TOP of college basketball EVERY SINGLE YEAR for the past 5-6 years ..... I guess Michigan State can be argued but they really just make good runs in March, they're not always in the Top 5 or Top 10 like we are.

And does anyone else actually look down on McCallum and Ziegler for going to their fathers' schools. I think it shows a lack of drive and maturity .... and I think it shows they're scared.

RCJH

brcook99 9 years, 10 months ago

... oh yeah and KYCats .....

get your shots in right now when Calipari gets you guys the top recruiting classes year after year for the next 4 or maybe 5 years .... after that he'll leave your program and most of the seasons will be vacated once he's gone.

KU actually has staying power unlike your program .... how was the Billy Gillispie era?

Coach Cal will give you guys some good years, no national championships, and then he'll be gone and you guys will go through another 'down' coach. We'll just keep plugging along at the top of the sport ..... so I'm fine with the Cats getting the TOP RECRUIT and getting a ton of press for a bit....

Ruppman 9 years, 10 months ago

Players today want to play for a role model, a man with high morals, high integrity someone as clean as the driven snow. A coach that plays within the rules, a coach that has never been charged with a violation or convicted of any wrong doing. This coach is John Calipari, that is why all the best are headed to Lexington. People who can't compete with Cal become full of hatred and resort to lies !

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 10 months ago

a role model who can dare to dream of violating ncaa sanctions at three schools! rofl if cal couldnt win it last year what makes you think he can do it this year.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 10 months ago

its got nothing to do with his coaching and you know it. cal gets players who want to get out of collage asap and to the pros. they dont care about your team history or your school. oh and i forgot, cal couldnt coach a team out of a wet paper bag. hes pretty content on letting the talent figure it out for him. it wouldnt hurt teaching a kid free throws for once either.

not even bothering to argue about the "plays within the rules", as the burden of proof is on you since he has had multiple infractions.

gardenjay 9 years, 10 months ago

Ruppman, you stir the pot, but whether you're being sarcastic or not, please use proper punctuation. Driving me nuts.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Assuming the worst and Coach Cal gets everyone, no offense to the OAD talent coming up this year but if John Wall, a true athletic freak and Demarcus Cousins, an awesome Big can't win a NC, these kids won't stand a chance.

Of course maybe it's not so much about winning but looking good trying to. I have rarely used two straws to drink a malt and I can't begin to believe that Brandon and Josh could actually "share" the spotlight and "stir the drink" so to speak.

My bottom line is this. If Josh or Doron decide to go to UK, then they were never meant to come here and fit into the HCBS system. If they choose to become Jayhawks, then they were meant to be here.

The whole televised announcement, grab the hat, ESPN half-time announcement thing is becoming tiresome. Maybe we just circle the wagons, take an us against the world attitude, horde the schollies and recruit the hellout of the class of 2011!!

STLrockCHALK 9 years, 10 months ago

There seems to be a feeling that Lamb is a big time player who can step in and play right away. He's ranked #21 on Rivals 150, so why is he so much more hyped than Elijah Johnson who was #24 on the same list last year. Granted, they play different positions but is Lamb really that good and why are we not hearing that Elijah could step in and make a big impact next year?

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

As others have pointed out, Kensucky couldn't make it to the Final 4 with a better class last year then they could even hope to get this year, and returning Patterson to provide them with a small modicum of experience (granted, it was NIT experience). What hasn't been discussed is that they failed to make the Final 4 in the weakest field of teams in recent memory. Given these facts it is unfathomable that they will be better next year.

So without any realistic hopes of making the Final Four, the signing period has become their Final 4, their Superbowl. The few fans that actually have any basketball intelligence cling to their past accomplishments and "proud" history, but the majority of their fan-base's interpretation of what is important regarding college basketball is so warped that they work themselves into a frenzy over being the best at signing OADs and seeing them in the lottery after one disappointing year at Lexington. Their excitement regarding signing elite-level talent is understandable, given that they are an SEC team and that signing day in football is practically a national holiday in SEC country. And this is the most important thing to understand about Kensucky and their fans. Being a basketball school in the SEC is like being a great high school basketball player in Texas. No matter how good the kid is, he is still less popular than the 3rd string tight end on the football team. Even the scrubby SEC football schools like Arkansas & Ole Miss wouldn't trade one football National Championship for all 7 of Kensucky's basketball titles. Heck, they probably wouldn't trade one CONFERENCE Championship for Kensucky's basketball accomplishments, and if UK's fans were honest with themselves, they'd give up everything they've won in basketball to be better at football. Due to the situation, the basketball fans there are constantly looking for anything to gain more respect, to try and elevate them to the status of the football schools. They have an inferiority complex, so the rest of the basketball schools across the country must endure their obnoxious boasting over the most miniscule victories. It is sad that Coach Cal couldn't learn more from his time here at Kansas about what being a REAL basketball school is all about.