Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ohio State’s Turner takes Wooden honor over Collins, field

Ohio State’s Evan Turner was named winner of the 2010 John R. Wooden Award on Friday night in a ceremony at the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

Turner beat out Kansas University’s Sherron Collins, Kentucky’s John Wall, Syracuse’s Wesley Johnson and West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler.

Turner received 3,715 points in the voting by more than 1,000 media members and college basketball experts. Wall finished second with 3,331 points, while Johnson was third with 1,871. Other point totals were not revealed.

Turner, the Big Ten’s player of the year, already had won the Naismith Award and been named the AP’s Player of the Year. Collins, a senior, is a 2010 Consensus All-American.

Henry makes first-team

KU freshman Xavier Henry on Friday was named to Rivals.com’s freshman All-America team. He was joined by Kentucky’s Wall and DeMarcus Cousins, Georgia Tech’s Derrick Favors and Arizona’s Derrick Williams. Alec Burks of Colorado made second-team.

Lamb update

Kentucky and Kansas appear to be co-leaders for Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told kentucky.rivals.com.

“He’s kind of torn between the two of them,” Smith told the Web site. “West Virginia is getting there and working hard, but they started a little later (January).

“UConn is trying, Arizona has faded, and Oklahoma is out. I think he kind of favors Kentucky and Kansas right now. In what order? It kind of depends on what day he wakes up and what side of the bed he gets out of. Both look appealing to him, top-five programs in the country,” Smith told the Web site.

Coaches from KU, UK and West Virginia all visited Lamb on Thursday. New St. John’s coach Steve Lavin was due in on Friday.

“If he goes to West Virginia or UConn, his parents could go to a lot more games. But he seems to really like Kentucky and Kansas,” Smith said.

Lamb, who is Rivals.com’s No. 21-ranked player, has said he will announce his choice on TV on April 17 at the Jordan Brand Classic in New York.

Selby a strong KU lean?

Oak Hill Academy coach Smith told Kentucky.rivals.com that word on the street is KU will sign Josh Selby in recruiting, while Kentucky will ink Brandon Knight.

Selby, 6-2 from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, is currently Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player. Knight, 6-3 from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is No. 1. There’s talk Selby will wind up No. 1 overall in Rivals’ final rankings of prep players.

“Everybody thinks Selby is going to Kansas and Knight is going to Kentucky, and I think Doron thinks that, too, from talking to him,” Smith said. “So it’s common knowledge that that’s what everyone thinks they’re going to do. Of course, someone could pull a fast one, I guess.”

KU’s coaches paid a visit to Selby’s school Friday. He will choose either KU, Kentucky, UConn, Arizona or Tennessee at halftime of the Brand Classic.

Jones to talk to KU?

KU still might be in the running for No. 13-ranked Terrence Jones, a 6-8 forward from Portland’s Jefferson High. Rivals.com reports that KU coach Bill Self will be speaking with Jones in coming days. He’s considering Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA and Washington.

Coaching move

Ohio State assistant Alan Major has accepted the head-coaching job at Charlotte, the AP reports. KU assistant Joe Dooley was on Charlotte’s original wish list. ... Colorado may lose coach Jeff Bzdelik to Wake Forest, FOXsports.com and CBSsportsline.com report. The third-year Buffs coach is a good friend of Wake athletic director Ron Wellman.

Comments

newyorkjayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I'm really buying into CJ Henry being a serious talent that just needs to get healthy. Given that, I truly believe that Releford and Little will make up for a lot that we lose from seeing Xavier bolt, and so the only true "replacement" we'd need in the backcourt is Selby. If Lamb comes along with him, that'd be great, but I'm really joining the rest of the posters in thinking that Selby is the major target, if in fact the Jayhawks are set to sign anyone else at all.
Otherwise, I do believe that both Morris twins will be GREAT next year, but relying on TRob and Whithey to BOTH play well next year in reserve roles for the twins is rolling some pretty risky dice... considering that, I REALLY like the direction this recruiting class is taking. Signing Terrence Jones would lock up our front court for the next 2 or 3 seasons, with TRob having more time and less pressure to convert from raw to real-deal, while Whithey can focus on putting on muscle and weight. Both, Whithey and TRob should be at Kansas for the next 3 years, and if Jones is NOT an OAD, this could be an amazing future for our team's post positions.
Here's to either Selby and Lamb or Selby and Jones coming on board! Go Hawks!

skeezerpleezer 9 years, 11 months ago

Why buy in to CJ so much? Why not just welcome Selby? The whole team is talented, but Selby is extraordinarily talented. He is what we need, and he needs a team like us to get his championship. It is a match made in heaven. No one on our team has proven to be a true PG, and he can challenge/win that position. Josh..we welcome you with open arms, along with Doron and Terrence.

VegasJhawk09 9 years, 11 months ago

KU recruited CJ a few years ago... he should be good. Once he gets healthy, he will give us even more depth.

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree that Selby is at the top of the wish list. Not really sure what to make of Terrance Jones. It's hard enough for the 4th guy in the post player rotation to find minutes, how do you deal with 5? It'd be one thing if we could move Marcus permanantly to the 3, which I guess technically we could, but we have Little & Releford hopefully taking the bulk of the minutes there. I don't think you need to count on both Withey & TRob BOTH playing well next year. As has been evidenced the past several seasons, only 3 bigs play big minutes, the 4th gets in primarily due to foul trouble. We can also play a bit small & have Little spell some minutes at the 4 if we have to. If both the Morris Twins come back for their senior year - something that is possible, for a couple of reasons - that would mean that both TRob & Withey would both be seniors when the Twins were finally gone. Adding Terrance Jones means that for the next two seasons one of the three of Jones, TRob, & Withey would basically not see the court at all for the next two seasons, and another one would only see spot minutes here and there. Maybe you could convince one of them to redshirt, but a more likely scenario is that we lose one via transfer.

Instead of Terrance Jones or Doron Lamb, I'd like to see KU make a push for Terrance Ross. I don't know much about his recruitment other than that rivals has KU listed among 5 schools with medium interest. I don't think we need anymore players competing for minutes next year (other than Selby of course), but if Self could bring him in and maybe after practices get going convince him to take a reduced role (or even a red-shirt) that would be ideal. With so many scholarships being available after next season, signing a guy who is not a OAD has a lot of appeal. He looks like a great talent, but he's not a top 20 talent (currently #43 on rivals), so maybe that scenario would fly (consider how last year EJ, TRob, Little, & Releford all accepted reduced roles/red-shirts).

I'm also not sold on CJ being a big contributor. The biggest issue is his health, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy the past two seasons, so he's pretty unreliable. He hasn't played a significant amount of organized basketball since high school, which was over 5 years ago. I think he'll get a look, but my guess is he'll have to be significantly better - not marginally better; not better in some aspects & worse in others - than our other options because with such a crowded field competing for minutes next year it is risky (due to his injury history) to give him significant minutes, thus putting someone else on the bench.

rockchalk80 9 years, 11 months ago

Jones can play both the 3 and the 4--very versatile player. He is a real long shot and most think he'll stay closer to home (Oregon or Washington) --Jones isn't going to make a decision until Oregon chooses their head coach. Ross is rumored to be interested in playing with Jones. Ross was considering reclassification to 2011, but now it appears his grades are good enough.

Ruppman 9 years, 11 months ago

ku can forget Jones, he is not coming to Kansas, you people are dreaming! Kentucky, Oregon or Washington! Watch Cal he is meeting with Jones today!

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey troll, no intelligent conversation on your own board? Of course KU probably isn't getting Jones, we're getting Selby & probably Lamb. After that no more scholarships. Not like your "team" that has to replace half of its roster. No, Coach Self is just making sure Calisleazy is busy chasing his tail on guys that we have no serious interest in. Of course that is in-between signing bottles of bourbon & issuing premature press releases pushing the only leadership left on your team out the door and into the NBA draft.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 9 years, 11 months ago

Welcome Josh Shelby! You are definitely on top of our wish list. Jones and/or Lamb would be icing on the cake, but I'd be perfectly happy with just signing Shelby. I think we'll be solid all around if we can have Shelby running the point.

jchief40 9 years, 11 months ago

Josh SHELBY????

SELBY!!! S-E-L-B-Y

(You just pulled an Aldridge..)

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

Man, am I a glutton for punishment or what??? Actually watched the replay of the KU/UNI game on CBS College Sports HD yesterday. Realized again just how close we came to pulling out that game!!!!! Ugh!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

...still kept yelling at TT to quit shooting. LOL.

mi_familia 9 years, 11 months ago

I'm confused.... why are so many people confusing Josh Selby for Josh SHELBY? Is it because that terrible announcer, Jason Williams (stupid dukie/dookie), was calling him that at the Mickey-D's event? Anyways, please start praying that Josh Selby comes to KU. Not sure if this Shelby guy is as good.

Also, anyone thoughts on Self possibly recruiting our top 3 targets (Selby, Lamb, Jones) with the thoughts in mind that if by some grace from above, all three decide to come, Morningstar would give up his scholly?

Or maybe he is secretly planning on Brady going to Europe like one rumor I heard... quite a funny rumor! I mean it doesn't make sense how that rumor ever came about. I mean, I could understand an 18 yr old going to europe because the drinking age is 18 in most parts, but Brady is what... like 36 or something?

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Oh, no! First, Xavier Henry is torn and now Doron Lamb is, too! Quick, medical science, come up with a cure for "Xavier Henry Disease" before many more 5-stars are afflicted. It is so painful...even though it helps publicity.

Robert Brock 9 years, 11 months ago

Matt Bowers 9 years, 11 months ago

You don't have to be sold on CJ, but I don't understand all the doubt when no one has seen him perform at a 100%. Give the guy a break, his brother is leaving, and he is staying to help KU. He has the stamp of approval by HCBS, what else do you need?

I believe that KU will be on top next year as it has been in years, decades, and century past. HCBS is about to turn the corner a recruiting class that is going to make some jaws drop. I've gone out and done some research on Josh Shelby and have an interesting link for those interested. If you can get past the back round music, you can get a real appreciation of this young man. It is part two in a five part series on youtube.

Rock Chalk

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

It is because no one has seen him perform at 100% that there is doubt, that and the aforementioned lack of playing for the last 5 years. I don't have a problem with him staying or getting a look. If he turns out to be a stud that's great. However, HCBS's "stamp of approval" to stay is not the same as counting on him to play a big role. Basically, anything we get out of him is a bonus.

aerohawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Too bad your research didn't include spelling his name correctly:)

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

mi familia,

The rumor about Brady is true, but he is not going to Europe to ball. He is going to do research. Few realize that he is a sociology student and that he received a grant from the Ford Foundation to do research into the European preference for topless bathing at public beaches. Brady, along with the rest of the team, which will be serving as research assistants, will be spending this off-season on the French Riviera surveying topless sun bathers.

Not. :-)

CasperCorps 9 years, 11 months ago

You make me laugh......... sometimes.. mainly when you drink and type

aerohawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Guess my research should have included reading two posts down before giving you crap. Good video though.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 11 months ago

Two things:

Terrance Ross is having academic problems and may not qualify.

There has been some talk of CJ being a cancer in the locker room. He needs to work very hard to get on the court. Self is not going to give it to you. You have to work for it.

Jeremy LeMaster 9 years, 11 months ago

I think TRob is going to surprise a lot of people next year with his growth in the offseason under Coach Mannings direction! I believe EJ will push for major minutes and that Selby is going to be the missing variable to make for another Big 12 championship and national title run!

I cannot wait for April 17! RCJH

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree. I was encouraged with what I saw from TRob.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't think TRob will be a surprise .. I expect it. I am completely enamored with this guy. I think he has Collison-like potential. That drop step and score (can't remember the game) was completely awesome. One of the best moves from any Jayhawk all year.

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

I remember that move. Pretty sure it was the last regular season game @ Missouri. Agreed...it was awesome!

CasperCorps 9 years, 11 months ago

I too like TRob.. He just seemed so excited when he got the ball, he would make a good move or rebound but was too hyped and would miss.. He'll calm down and be awesome.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 11 months ago

No one has been a bigger fan of Josh Selby than me since he re-opened his recruitment. Take a look at this interview

Off the court he reminds me a lot of Sherron, a lot! On the court, he is a jackhammer. He gets into the lane much easier than Sherron, and he doesnt need to shy away from contact quite like Collins did, usually Selby just goes right up and dunks on whoever happens to be standing down there.

I would be very excited to buy his Kansas uniform if he does indeed choose to play with us.

I think a combo guard rotation of Selby, Taylor and EJ would be something reminiscent of the 08 team that I fell in love with

As for Lamb

Posters that have been questioning our pursuit of him need to understand that this guy's midrange stroke is about as perfect as it gets. He literally does not miss from inside the three point line.

His game is very similar to that of Mario Little's

aerohawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the link. I haven't watched many of his clips, but in the few I have watched he seems like a level headed kid.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

tstanlick1909..thanks for the link-excellent.

As an archtect, one of the things I need to do is read between the lines of conversations or emails.

" I love the Sherron Collins role"- translated - Kansas has the playing time available at the position I want to play with a philosophy of using that position as the keystone to the offense.

" I want to be a point guard in college" - translated - see above

" Currently I am uncommitted" - translated - Where ever Brandon Knight goes, I don't and he's going to Kentucky so you connect the dots.

" Being a OAD is one of my goals" - translated - I want to be somewhere with sustained excellence and tradition in case the NBA lockout happens and I need or want to stay two years.

[PS Mom loves Bill Self and all the other BBall moms in Lawrence]. I kind of threw that in based on some reliable sources feedback

tstanlick1909 9 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was interesting when asked if he would be an OAD, he said he doesnt think he's quite there yet. Almost sounded like he could be a two year guy based on how he responded

gchawk 9 years, 11 months ago

What's an "archtech"? Sorry Oakville I couldn't resist. You make some great points, always like to read what you have to say because I usually agree.

tstanlick1909 9 years, 11 months ago

That dude went between the legs and finished with two hands. I would love to see him compete in a dunk off with EJ

All aboard the Selby train!

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

drgnslayr,

Thanks for the props in a recent post of yours in another thread. I just noticed them.

I don't spend much time on my posts. I'm just a fast writer. The days I post a lot, I'm at the box a lot and able to multi-task. Writing about basketball relaxes me and frees me up to get better at other things.

I actually throw away quite a bit that seems inappropriate for younger readers that hang here, but as occurred yesterday, sometimes not enough. :-)

FWIW, I feel pretty good about KUSports.com right now. I feel there are more and more board rats opening up and trying out different ways one can post on a story-and-thread web site. More and more posters are willing to go short, medium, or long, when they have something to say. Perhaps the biggest improvement is that more and more are willing to package their thoughts in forms, whether long, or short--that organically reflect their thoughts on a subject; that express themselves and their thoughts in a style of their own. More and more I am able to recognize board rats by their writing styles, rather than just by their aliases; that is great!

Further, more and more posters are moving beyond just simple derision of the professional journalists and into analysis of what the pros are doing--both bad and good--and how they might do it better. And I believe the pros are listening, even though they probably tell each other they are not. :-)

Oh my yes, I bet they are listening. Journalists trade in information and those I have known are basically gossips. :-)

I also do not believe the sole driver is the old journalistic saw of "if the readers are angry, or happy, with what you wrote, its good, because it means they are reading," or, in today’s jargon, are clicking. Nope. Things have changed. They want the clicks bad, but I believe there's a second dimension prompting their listening.

In interactive media, the professional journalist has to deal with actual competition--the reality that the only difference between a board rat's thoughts and words and the professional's thoughts and words is how interestingly and informatively written the two are presented.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

To reiterate, pros have to compete now. Why? Because if they don’t, management will simply drop the pros, one by one, from the stew and let the public posting go on with lower overhead. And lower overhead in a stagflated economy is oligarch.

Note: I am not for full amateurization (warning: word minted) of sports journalism by any means. I advocate a symbiosis between pros and amateurs—each making the other better. I post here for this reason.

Understand: print journalism is one of the least highly paid fields of mass media. The smartest persons are not working as sports reporters and sports editors in our society, just as they are not teaching grade school. The society is the poorer for both phenomena, but that is the how it is.

The smartest persons are doing work that pays much more, because these other kinds of work have a much greater increment of measurable value added by the smarties. It is a fact--an unfortunate one that ought to be changed by more accurate quantification of what has worth, perhaps, but a fact nonetheless.

So: sports journalists' are now finding their writings, because of internet technology, increasingly on the same page with the writings of persons both smarter and dumber than the pros. And there rank amidst the amateur posters is unmistakeably mid-pack (to be charitable) in terms of insight (though still better in writing mechanics), so the professional journalist can no longer pretend to unqualified superiority.

Talk about humble pie.

The pros now have to be diligent at their writing just to appear mid-pack. Now, not only can other To seem sharply better, they have to work hard at their writing, or be completely out-classed by smart chaps that enjoy writing about sports in spare time. I am definitely mid pack around here in my knowledge of the game. You can tell the really smart guys by the density, clarity and elegance of expression in even their off-hand comments. Many exceed the pros in clarity and brevity, simply because they don’t have to write to fit hard copy, also.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Now, I can tell you something we both know from first-hand experience; that its no fun having board rats expose all your flaws and mistakes here. :-)

Trust me: the pros have to go by the water cooler, too. They have to walk by the other reporters desks and the secretaries, and receptionists, and ad guys. Everyone glances at these web sites from time to time these days, even if its just to avoid doing work. And in a gossipy office like that of a news business, many are likely snooping to see what is being said critically about the writers simply in order to savor the skewering of a competitor. The pros know the people in their offices know when they are being mercilessly ridiculed and turned into the butts of jokes. Disrespect gets around like a bad cold.

The pros, of course, could care less, if we call them jack-offs, because the pros have an intrinsic, and healthy, disrespect of amateurs.

But the pros care a lot that their colleagues and the other persons they work and club with think everyone is responding to their work with derision and scorn. Oh, yes, I suspect they know..and I suspect they don't like it much. Who would?

Still, it appears that that the less responsible pros are no longer just phoning it in all the time. The writing of the pros has improved almost more than the writing of the board rats the last few years that I have been watching. The pros started out dumping the same kind of pap they used to write for the fish wrap--the kind of stuff they could dump on hard copy readers without real-time feedback.

But once the pros started getting hooted at on a regular basis, they appeared to go through a phase of doing a few good stories, as if to say, "Look you a-holes, I'm a pro. I can do it better than you guys any time I want to." And most of them can. But then they would quickly backslide into their old, sloppy, indifferent, hard-copy writing habits and the board rats would ream them a new one again saying, "Look, you lazy chumps, you've already proven you can write well. What's the idea of going back to dumping your phone-it-ins on us? Screw you guys. You're not pros, you're jokes!"

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

And what made the amateurs so believable was that they were also bestowing insightful compliments from time to time on deserving work.

So: the dynamic I had hoped would operate in this medium has in fact operated to some degree, or other. The pros became sick of being treated with contempt by amateurs that often were as good, or better than the pros in terms of insights, and even approached them in terms of writing styles. And the pros have in turn improved the quality of their copy and thinking somewhat.

Together, we have floated the boat upwards.

Of course, some pros have not changed, because they did not need to. They were already doing it right. Gary Bedore was/is a pro that brings it every day. He is a work horse. His prose is usually impeccable. Whenever I find a mistake in it, the editor in me is so excited that I blurt it out ASAP and am often set straight by another board rat that it was not a mistake, at all.

But the others-- those fellows writing commentary--the guys delegated with the task of writing informed commentary-- those guys have had to get better and each have gotten better, except perhaps for one I will not name out of kindness. That fellow just does not seem to take any pride in his work at this time. Maybe he has problems in his life that prevent him doing so right now. Maybe he will get better. I cannot say. I am not a soothsayer. I just hope he does.

Regardless, there is a wonderful side effect to each of us writing a little better than we did. To write better than before, one has to think more clearly than one did before. There's no way around it. And clear thinking is a fulcrum that historically has moved societies and changed worlds.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

To mix metaphors, clear thinking has a viral aspect that is, I believe, fantastically contagious. Clear thinking scares any oligarch, or politician, or boss, or any other person in authority, because it means he has to get off his duff and do his job to an acceptable level, or be ridiculed and scorned. A contagion of clear thinking has lurked at the core of every evolution and revolution that ever improved human society even a whit.

The quality and quantity of clear thinking on this board is not yet ubiquitous, of course, but it has probably quadrupled, since I began reading. I have shared much here, but I have learned vastly more here than I have taught, and received vastly more here than I have given.

I believe there is a multiplier effect in clear thinking shared among large groups of persons attempting it. Non-linear leaps in insight about the game increase, when one reads down through one of these threads more frequently than when one thinks in isolation about the game. I defy almost anyone to read down through almost any thread and not be stimulated into new and often more insightful ways of thinking about KU basketball and about the game itself.

This interactive medium has so much potential for making us all write better, and think more clearly, that it amazes me. We still have barely scratched the surface of what it will do and how we can get better acting through it together. It is not a panacea, of course. The powers-that-be are already investing heavily in finding ways to manufacture consent through the new digital media as successfully as they learned to do the same through the old analog media. But digital is a chance to get better.

Knowledge not only wants to get free. It wants to get better. Most techno nerds grasp the “get free” part. But few understand the “get better” part. These two wants are powerful dynamics that will in combination vastly re-shape society for centuries to come.

I have no doubt in my mind that James Naismith would heartily embrace this new medium and would be delighted to see his game being contemplated in the manifold ways it is explored here. He might worry that we are all not spending enough time on physical education, but the man who nailed up two peach baskets and thought up some new rules and tossed a ball out to young men one cold winter and let them play would have intuitively understood the internet and this web site.

Rock Chalk!!!

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Erratum: "Together we have floated the boat upwards." To clarify, I mean: together, the pros and the amateurs have floated the boat upwards.

CasperCorps 9 years, 11 months ago

I feel smarter when I read your posts.... I almost made it through half of it..... I'm going back tomorrow to finish the other half..

Chris Bruning 9 years, 11 months ago

Brock (anonymous) says… Forget Jones. He is just name-dropping. Concentrate on Selby. He is the true game-changer that Coach Self is always referring to. I hope that we stop at just recruiting Woolridge and Selby and bank the remaining scolly for the time being. Not a big fan of Doron Lamb...

damn near word for word what i would've posted....not a big fan of doron lamb, until he inks with us anyways.......

gchawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate: Would you mind explaining to me the situation with CJ and his contract with the Yankees? My wife and I were talking about this and she said she thinks the Yankees are honoring their contractual agreement with CJ by paying for his education, I said that I thought they were paying considerably more than that. Also, what's the reason he doesn't play baseball anymore? Thanks in advance for your help, you are one of the people on this message board who really knows their stuff.

Firebirdguy31 9 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate,

I completely agree with everything you just said, and usually everything you say, which is what makes me so proud to be a Jayhawk. It's been almost a month since our Hawks have been on the hardwood and yet here we are, still analyzing and talking about KU basketball. Everyday after checking my email, I immediately jump to KUsports and pray that everyone is still here offering more thought provoking discussion. It's almost become a religion where I need constant fellowship with other KUsports members.

I hope we never change. RCJH

Firebirdguy31 9 years, 11 months ago

Random thoughts to stimulate discussion

X as a OAD- Most believe Self wanted to get rid of X because he was a OAD only using KU to futher his career prospects and because he was forced to attend college due to current rules. With X leaving, Self is no longer under scrutiny for abandoning his principles of not recruiting OADs.

Question: Why would Self want to get rid of a OAD if he has recruited OADs like Brandon Rush in the past AND trade X for an up and coming OAD? Self has never had a true OAD. Rush was not a OAD, he thought he was, but he was not. We all know that Carl wanted his son to leave, but why was Self almost forcing X out the door. Was it to get rid of Carl's influence on the team? Then why want CJ to stay?

Alternate Answer: Was it possibly to prove to other OADs that he could truly turn out OADs like other programs have in the past. Especially because he had not done so before. In the eyes of a young OADer, it would appear that Self may not be a good enough coach to prepare them for the League in one season. Which is what they are interested in. By having X jump to the League in one season it would prove that Self has the knowledge to help them attain their goals as well.

A quote from Self, “I don’t think you can build a program on one-and-done guys because the turnover would be too great. I do think recruiting a guy like him ... we wouldn’t have been 33-3 this year if he hadn’t come to Kansas...if a guy can help us win games, I could care less (if he’s one and done)."

Kye Clark 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't think I'd quite characterize the situation as "Self almost forcing X out the door" or that he "wanted to get rid of X". That being said, I think there are a lot of things that factor into him not being too torn up about X leaving. Your alternate answer may have a bit to do with it, although there was a quote by Self (actually a continuation of the quote you cited) "If a kid bases his decision on whether or not a young man leaves after one year, that’s ridiculous.” Part of it may have been that, as CS is on record as saying, X was recruited to be here only one year. That was the plan, the expectation. That's why Releford & Little redshirted; because of the promise of more playing time next year. Part of it may have to do with recruiting this years' players, making sure he had enough available scholarships to land Selby if he & Lamb decided to they were going to be a package deal. Or maybe it's to try and land a player he thinks has a better shot of staying beyond next year, thus lessening the 2011 recruiting burden. X would almost certainly be gone after next year had he stayed, but it's less certain with Lamb, Ross, or Jones.

I also don't know that I'd say that Carl had any "influence" on the team, but maybe CS didn't want to deal with the press created by Carl. While I don't think Carl influenced Self's mood or position on X leaving, because he left I think he (Carl) will be much less vocal & visible. For one, both his son's are not in one place anymore. He'll almost certainly be around less now. And secondly, Carl certainly doesn't have the same expectations of CJ that he did for X. Rivals only had CJ as a 3 star recruit out of high school (ESPN & scout.com did not have him listed). CJ should be allowed to develop at his own rate as opposed to the situation with X where he was always being pushed to get to the NBA after one season of college ball. That was Carl's plan, his expectations.

Or I could be wrong. Just pure speculation.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 11 months ago

T. Jones is NOT considering KU. His high school coach said Jones has no interest with KU trying to get back into the mix with him.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

gchawk,

You are very kind. Thanks. Alas, you know as much as I do about CJ's on-going compensation by the Yankees. But I bet someone else will have the skinny.

okiedave 9 years, 11 months ago

Jones thinking about Oklahoma??? What is he thinking? The program is absolutely in shambles. Willie Warren is going to the NBA. Gallon quit the team. The program is being investigated for the possibility of a booster putting several thousand dollars into a player's checking account. Probation around the corner. The Assistant coach just quit yesterday. And OU is refusing to turn over phone records to the NCAA.

The only team OU will be able to beat next year with a depleted squad will be Kentucky.

David Howell 9 years, 11 months ago

Not sure about CJ and his baseball career with the Yankees. But I think I remember hearing that he couldn't hurt the curve ball or some type of pitch like that. All in all after 3 to 4 years in the minor leagues I gotta believe he looked himself in the mirror and said "I really do suck at baseball and there is always basketball for me ....."

Just a hunch on the last statement, but with all the press XAVIER was getting during his junior and senior years he probably got sucked back into his brothers limelight and playing ball together with him. Too bad he couldn't stay off the disabled list long enough to ever find out. I gotta believe that Self's love for CJ and vice versa isn't as high now as it was when X decided to come to KU last spring.

I really can't see CJ going anywhere else now, but anything is possible. At this point he is probably to old to even play for BYU !!

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

What if CJ had announced the he too was leaving the team when Xavier held his press conference? That would have been inaproppriate timing and would have diverted some of the relevance of the meeting. Now, what to do? If he was to later announce that he's leaving as well, it would look like he was truly there to support, attend to, or for whatever purpose, only attend KU and be on the team for his brother, not himself. Don't forget, he was on the Memphis team for a year before Xavier graduated high school but was injured there and couldn't play. The intent there was for him to lure Xavier to Memphis. We all know about that backfire. So, his interest in college basketball wasn't ever about him but about Xavier. As an individual, I believe the worst thing for him is to be just another "off the bench" player who is taking a spot away from someone who is genuinely interested in college basketball and is healthy. I'm beng the following: Selfish, yes! Honest, yes! Concerned about CJ's college experience? no! Want what's best for the KU program and chances for the best season next year? YES!