Originally published April 8, 2010 at 01:58p.m., updated April 8, 2010 at 03:16p.m.

New video board at Memorial Stadium to be ready for spring events

Mike Gardner, who works for American Lift and Sign, a company out of Omaha, Neb., washes down the track at Memorial Stadium Monday, April 5, 2010. The company is installing a new video board with a screen nearly 85 feet wide and 28 feet tall. The new scoreboard is 97 feet tall overall.

photo

Daktronics, Inc.

A rendering of KU's new football scoreboard by Daktronics, Inc.

It remains to be seen what kind of impact new Kansas University football coach Turner Gill will have on the program, but there’s no debating that Jayhawk fans will enjoy a new stadium experience during the 2010 season.

New video board in Memorial Stadium to be ready for spring

The board will be high definition and cost $3.2 million.

Construction crews are in the process of putting the finishing touches on a new video board at Memorial Stadium and, when complete, the active area on the new viewing screen will be three times the size of the one it replaced.

Not only will the screen be larger — the new board measures 28 feet high by 85 feet wide — it also will be the first of its kind (HD15 technology) to be installed by Daktronics Inc. Daktronics regional manager Tony Mulder said the new screen, which features an LED display, would have tighter resolution and better picture enhancements.

“This addition to historic Memorial Stadium will help generate more excitement from the fans and will be another great enhancement for the Kansas football program," Mulder said.

The new video board will allow operators greater flexibility. They’ll have the option to display graphics as one giant image across the entire screen or in multiple windows that can be used to display a wide variety of statistics, information, graphics, animation and video.

The funding for the $3.2 million video board was part of a five-year, $86 million extension to a multi-media deal between KU and IMG College. The extension takes the agreement between KU and IMG through the 2021-22 academic year.

“This agreement — and the new video board — will ensure that we are able to provide the best experience possible for our student athletes, coaches and fans,” KU athletics director Lew Perkins said in a statement.

The expansion is the first since 1999, when the old video board was installed. The new board, which features approximately 2,380 square feet — as opposed to the 740 square feet of the old one — is expected to be up and running in time for both the Kansas Relays (April 14-17) and the KU football Spring Game on April 24.

“That’s the goal,” KU associate athletics director Jim Marchiony said.

Comments

danno1313 4 years ago

I was good with the OLD video board. Fix the team! Win games! RCJHKU

danno1313 4 years ago

I was good with the OLD video board. Fix the team! Win games! RCJHKU

ShockNAwe 4 years ago

I'll answer my own question. From KU Athletics:"Despite its size, the new board fits within the structural footprint of the old unit in a conscious effort to preserve the tradition and integrity of the hill behind the scoreboard."

jhokfan 4 years ago

Oakville:

Isn't Wescoe the ugliest building on campus?

I'm not that fond of this scoreboard. Looks to NFLish and I would prefer the south end not to be covered so as to obscure the view to the campus. But I can live with it.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

The flags are a nice touch...they remind me of Fraser Hall.

As an architect, it just boils my potatos that the world's ugliest campus building, Fraser Hall, happens to be the most visible on the KU campus. UGH!!!

Kudos to the poster who suggested we move to the old scoreboard to the other end of the stadium.

Quick temporary solution:

1] Build that new track somewhere. 2] Remove the stadium track 3] Move the benches closer to the stands 4] Add field level seating at the north end and put the band there.

At least it will look more like a football only stadium and it won't break the bank!!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 4 years ago

Very nice video board! Well done Jayhawks... but until we get rid of the Ghetto Track around our field (only one in Big 12) our homefield advantage will never be what it could be.

I know, I know Lewzer said he'll never do it.

escaped_labrat 4 years ago

Hey jayhawkinmullen,

That would've been a great idea and you're probably right, I'll bet a lot of recruits would dig that or at the very least if KU Athletics purchased 3D camera equipment for filming all games so broadcasts would always be in 3D ;-)

Jim Sanders 4 years ago

Put the old one between the flag poles on the north end of the stadium. That would be awesome!!

jayhawkinmullen 4 years ago

No 3D? That would have assured every recruits signature in the top 25 of every website if we had a 3D video board.

MitchumMan 4 years ago

If only I could watch the short clips we used to play at MU vs KU games on it. (Sigh)

"I'm a Jayhawker and proud of it."

Lindsey Buscher 4 years ago

Can the old video board be put up at the baseball stadium? The one they have is too small.

allanfieldhouse 4 years ago

Oh, yeah, that ad is annoying. Use firefox with adblock plus and you'll never see it again.

Gene Jackson 4 years ago

Please, please, please git rid of those annoying, flashing square boxes on this website that says I am the millionth visitor and I have won something (this time it is an iPad). These things make me want to skip over the article or scroll down so I don't have to see it. They add nothing, detract from the article or the comments, and make me not want to go to the site and/or buy the product they are advertising. And, they hurt my eyes.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years ago

ugh. our fb program is saved now, right?

JJHawq 4 years ago

five stars on the giant comment...

Mike Kendall 4 years ago

Notice Mike Gardner (in the picture above), works for a company out of Omaha, Nebraska. Any coincidence that the company is out of Nebraska---the same State school that Turner Gil played for?

Mike Kendall 4 years ago

Sounds exciting. Plan on going to see it soon! That is a "big mamma" of a scoreboard. Probably good that it is bigger. Like myself, a lot of folks need glasses to see now and the bigger the better!

Jayhawk1116 4 years ago

Holy crap, do you guys have ANYTHING positive to say? Shut up and stay home, wet blankets...

Matt Bowers 4 years ago

That video board has more square feet then my house. Hell, the old one had more square feet than my last apartment!

Rock Chalk

FreddyinLA 4 years ago

Did they take the track out??

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

PSS Now we'll all be able to see the same crappy commercials only much, much larger

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

PS I noticed that it is still called Kivisto Field......I guess Lew has one hellaesish "IOU" sitting somewhere in his office!

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Thank God we have a giant on our payroll who will make maintenance and cleaning of "the 'Board" a snap!! :}

Janet Scott 4 years ago

What will be the first movie to be shown on the "big board"? A Samantha Ryan flick at half time of the first football game this year, titled "Fun and Games", about a Div I assisstant coach "romping" thru life, doling out free athletic tickets to hot babes?

ShockNAwe 4 years ago

Does the new board block off more of the view from the Hill?

mace221 4 years ago

Looks awsome. It's about time they updated the old Jumbotron to better equal what the other Big XII schools already have.

Ben Kane 4 years ago

how did you get all caps?

Phoggin_Loud 4 years ago

SWEET!!!

which is much larger than the old:

sweet!!!