Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Buford not alone suffering at Camp

KU guard hopes to chuck reputation

Kansas University freshman Chase Buford calls timeout as he falls out of bounds late in the game against Louisiana-Monroe.

Several trash cans were stationed near the goals Monday morning in Kansas University’s basketball practice facility.

“They had them lined up, but not with my picture on them. I think I’m sharing them this year. They might get a new name,” KU junior guard Chase Buford said with a laugh.

He was referring to the “Chase Cans,” so named in honor of the 6-foot-3 San Antonio native who in his first two years at KU regularly lost his breakfast at strenuous 6-7 a.m., Boot Camp conditioning sessions.

“I won’t throw anybody under the bus, but I’m not leading it this year. I’m not alone. There have been a few guys, three or four guys,” Buford said of those Jayhawks who also have barfed at Boot Camp.

Coach Bill Self’s annual two-week conditioning program officially started Monday. Yet two Boot Camp sessions were held Thursday and Friday as Self responded to the team’s involvement in a couple of scraps with the KU football team.

“Last Thursday was a little tough,” Buford said of the only day he has gotten sick at Boot Camp this year. “In the afternoons, I never have that problem. The morning doesn’t sit well with me.”

He’s hoping his third Boot Camp proves easier than the first two.

“(Strength coach Andrea) Hudy got us in great shape this summer. It really prepared us for Boot Camp,” Buford said. “I think a lot of our guys are closer to their ideal weight at the start of the year. We’re in better shape than we’ve been, at least going into it.”

Junior guard Tyrel Reed just might be in the best shape of anybody.

“When it comes to sprints, Tyrel is kind of a machine. He has a motor that doesn’t seem to stop,” Buford said.

“He’s a beast. I think everybody would say that, too. He can run for sure,” KU freshman center Jeff Withey said. “He did track when he was in high school. That might be part of it.”

Withey, a 7-footer from San Diego, said Boot Camp is as tough as advertised.

“It’s rough ... waking up in the morning, having to do a lot of running. It’s tough throughout the day,” Withey said. “It’s tough, but it gets the team up, and it’s real good bonding.”

Morning conditioning consists mostly of sprints and defensive sliding drills without the use of a basketball.

“Everybody pretty much told me what to expect. It got in my head, kind of got me ready for it,” said Withey, who reports he’s up to 225 pounds. “I was pretty prepared coming in (by) running all the time. I was mentally prepared, too. (Hearing about it) it’s kind of scary.”

For Buford, it’s not as scary as his first year at KU.

“I was talking to Conner (Teahan, junior). Your mentality going into it your junior and senior year is not the morbid outlook you have as a freshman or sophomore,” Buford said. “You know what it entails.

“Cole (Aldrich, junior) was talking about some of the things we do at Boot Camp as freshmen we’d think was brutal. Now it’s just a warmup.”

Lamb for Late Night

Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior shooting guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog as part of his official recruiting visit to KU, Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told Rivals.com. Lamb will visit Oklahoma this weekend.

Comments

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Dang it I broke the news about Lamb before you all did! Barnes and Lamb at OU this weekend...Lets hope they hate it...KU's Late Night is going to be star studded for sure

Michael Auchard 10 years, 3 months ago

Broken record, but I still wish Gary would say what a player is ranked by Rivals.com whenever he mentions the site in an article. It would tie all the information together nicely.

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Yeah me too but the important thing is that all of the prospects that are scheduled to come so far are 5 star guys...Woolridge is a 3 star now but he is a commit not a prospect...Self is doing his job...I believe we will get Payne and we will nab one of the PGs for sure, whether it be Lamb, Selby, or Knight only time will tell, and we have a shot at Barnes but I just get the feeling that it's not going to happen...I think he is Duke bound unless Duke lands another SG...I dont think Barnes will end up at OU but I guess its possible...I think his top 3 are Duke, KU, and UNC but ISU has an outside shot because there are rumors that he wants to be close to home and his mom works at ISU, not that she couldnt get a job wherever her son goes...His mom will move to wherever he goes to school no doubt about that...KU is definitely in the running but in my gut I think he is Duke bound.

Andy Hess 10 years, 3 months ago

Lamb isn't strictly a PG. He's more of a taller combo guard. I think we'll end up with Payne and Lamb, then either Selby or Knight.

jaybate news service:

Dateline Allen Field House Practice Annex--The ugly new practice facility designed by little known and utterly disrespected architect, I. M. Inept, AIA, a tenth percentile graduate of Memphisto University School of Anti-Architecture and De-Design, does have one truly innovative feature: vomit gutters around the perimeter of the basketball floor. The gutters are drained by a patented drainage system called Buford Bile Ducts aka BBDs.

Amazingly, I. M. Inept cannot even take credit for this commendable feature of the new facility that has landed on the infamous Bottom Ten List issued by The Journal of World Architecture Disfigurements.

The idea for vomit gutters sprung from the fertile mind and nervous stomach of KU walk-on Chase Buford, who currently holds the NCAA record for most hurls in a Division I training camp in a single season. Young Buford is also on track to set the record for most career taco tosses by the end of his senior season.

Buford was interviewed by text message by a jns stringer in Lawrence so incompetant that he has already been fired by jns. The interview follows:

Stringer: hi, how r u?

Buford: Btween puks.

Stringer: Is the erp gutr wrkng?

Buford: Y

Stringer: Hav u patntd it yet?

Buford: Y

Stringer: What gave u idea?

Buford: Doing a headr in a waste basket full of vmit lst yr.

Stringer: Thx.

Buford: Ur Welcm.

The Buford Vomit Gutter Company (NYSE abbreviation: BVGC) of Houston, TX already has bids from over 14000 universities and high schools to add the vomit gutters to basketball floors across the nation. Buford, who came to KU to get a shot at coaching, has reputedly decided to up-chuck basketball and focus on being an entrepreneur. Buford has already reputedly tried to hire away Bill Self's top three assistant coaches to become his Vice Presidents at his corporation as soon as Buford graduates.

Note: utter fabrication for amused diversion.

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

See I know we wont get 2 of the 3 guards because its all about playing time...the fact that Lamb can play the 1 or 2 is very valuable...But we have a lot of guards right now at KU and it comes down to playing time...we already have Woolridge who is a 2 guard...and because we already have one commit and a ton of guards we will only get one more guard out of this class...Payne is almost a done deal from what Im hearing...Also something else to think about is that Beal is almost a lock to come to KU but if we overload on guards we may lose him to Mizzou or Illinois...I know Beal is a 2 and 3 guard guy but remember that for most of these kids its about playing time.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

My broker said that BVGC stock kept going down and coming back up until the final bell yesterday!

It's value is expected to be down the toilet today.

CEO of BVGC is some guy named Ralph!

COO of the company is Brennan Bechard.

Cheif Counsel is Bernstein, Allen, Rothstein and Feinstein, ("B.A.R.F. always rises to the occassion" is their Mission Statement.

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Hes a 2 that can play the 1...kinda like CJ and Tyshawn

woodhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate- I'm almost certain we'd be best friends if we knew each other in real life. Keep on truckin.

Wood

KGphoto 10 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps CU could install BBDs for the fans. Both basketball and football. The sheer volume of chundering alumni at football games would create the need for immediate expansion of BVGC.

Blake Post 10 years, 3 months ago

Lamb must realize. One Goal One Mind
Nebraska must die

David Leathers 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, Woodhawk - No amusement in that faux "article" by the jaybate news service. Actually I kind of found it a little childish.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure finding a picture of Buford on the court is a difficult task, but that is an extremely gay picture...

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate mainly just takes up valuable space.

imnotpaulpierce 10 years, 3 months ago

Here's a text conversation I had with Jaybate:

imnotpaulpierce: STFU

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding? I'm looking forward to checking out the gutters at the next home show. He might be able to talk Tom Kavisto into financing the start up costs.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 3 months ago

I feel for these guys. Brings back the memories of high school sports.

Ad astra per aspera

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if Chase’s propensity to call Earl from the big white telephone has any connection to his DUI last summer? Hummmmm. (oh lighten up – it’s just a joke.)

CheneyHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Bring in more coach's kids - maybe call it the Bill Pope scholarship. (How did Bill go from chasing wet towels as a manager to coaching?) Lots of hangers on around the program. The nepotism / favoritsm gets old.

milehighhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate - start your own blog and post there.

Bruce Brock 10 years, 3 months ago

The species athleticus vomitus has a long, proud (though head-bowed) tradition. I recall a story about the one guy who could give Wilt a game -- Bill Russell -- who supposedly threw up before every playoff or championship game he ever played. As world champion at winning world championships, that was a lot of playoff games.

I recall a story, maybe made up but good anyway, about Red Auerbach finishing a pre-game speech with 'any questions?' Somebody answered 'we can't go out there now, Coach, because Russell hasn't puked yet!' Whereupon Russell went into the nearest bathroom stall, did what seemed to be necessary, and out they went to win another NBA championship.

Run your guts out boys, it's a long way to that first Monday in April.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Can someone help me out here? I've been in and out the last couple of weeks. Who is officially coming to Late Night on Oct. 16th? I know Lamb and Barnes, but it seems like we still have two more slots. Anybody else besides those two coming? I know Payne is coming the 23rd of Oct. Thanks for the help.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

If I may add to the volumes of vomit valor, the Hall of Fame goalie, Glen Hall threw up before EVERY game he ever played starting at the juniors level all the way through his long and distinguished career.

At the rate they're going, the Royals, Chiefs and Rams may need to come up with some type of "Fan Friendly Amenity" to address this potential problem!! The latin term is "teamus suckus sic vomitus".

woodhawk,

Judge a person's character by the character of his friends.

Judge a person's courage by the lack of character of his enemies.

Virtual or real, I am always privileged to make another friend.

Have a good one.

OakvilleJHawk,

Bill Russell said he hurled before every game he ever played. His teammates used to wait for him to hurl to be sure he was ready to take the floor and play his best. For his sake, I wish Russ could have found another way to get on the razor's edge, but he did it the only way he could, I guess.

milehighhawk,

I don't have the time, or want to.

Why don't you start one?

imnotpaulpierce,

Not only are you not paul pierce, you're not funny either. Tough luck.

Hey, I've got an idea for you. Start a blog called imnot.com.

Make it about everything you're not. You'll have something to post about every second. :-)

mvjayhawk,

Oh, yeah, right...valuable space?

What kind of knave are you?

The space is free. We are generating clicks and eye balls for the World Corporation here; that's why they give it away. Even when you post that I am wasting valuable space here you are making them money and getting paid zip for it. Even when I post incredulously at your knavery, they are making money. Your consideration is unlimited posting space.

Awaken.

RockChalkCaliHawk,

Take your laxative and call us in the morning. :-)

KUAlum2000 10 years, 3 months ago

NebraskaJayhawk, I didn't quite put that together until I read your comment and you are dead on. Looks like an out-take from Dancing with the Stars.

COjayrocks 10 years, 3 months ago

You know you never play when: the only picture they can find of you is when a photographer has to take a picture of you cause you try to save a ball right next to him.

imnotpaulpierce 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate,

For the first time ever, I laughed at one of your posts (see imnotfunny comment).

You're 1 for 1,000,000,000,000.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

gthejayhawk: Thanks for the info. I don't know why I forgot about Woolridge. As for Tokoto that is sweet! Just think if the Hawks can land both Perry Ellis and Tokoto from the class of 2012. Tokoto is from the state of Wisconsin so maybe Self can go in another Midwest state and steal talent. He did it with Cole so let's only hope he can steal Tokoto away from Bo Ryan country. Getting Bradley Beal in 2011 is a High Priority, but I honestly don't know much about Josiah Turner. Another guard, but I would rather see Josh Selby, Cory Joseph, or Roscoe Smith in his place.

I guess Terrance Jones had an awesome home visit with Self. That would be a huge signing to get Terrance Jones, but I wonder if Self is going to wait till the last minute again (Similar to X) in order to try and get Barnes. KU lived dangerously by waiting on X so I would like to see an early signing just to take off some of the pressure.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

I think Barnes is waiting to see if Self will wait out or sign Jones! But if Barnes wants to commit, he has plenty of opps. Self will take the first that commits! I don't think he's playing games. He's visited and expressed an interest. So I think CS takes the first of the two that commits!

You're right kushaw, it's the same waiting game like Stephenson and Henry!

I think Payne is the one big that Self would really like to commit. I know he wants a big for Cole's leaving.

The guards are all open. I think Self is tickled that his choices are to the point where any of one of these standout guards will be great to have.

It's interesting and exciting. Not long to Late Night!!

number1fanfromillinois 10 years, 3 months ago

this is completely off topic but you guys see this article on espn today?

how dumb do you have to be? consider the source I guess...

mjlindsm 10 years, 3 months ago

That is the funniest darn basketball-related picture I think I have ever seen. Nice work LJW.

brooksmd 10 years, 3 months ago

When my son played hs football, the qb always upchucked before the game or right after going on the field for the first time, usually in the huddle. Jaybate, always look forward to your amusing diatribes. Seldom if ever any antagonistic words, although you sometimes bring it out of others for some reason. I find if there is something I don't like or care to read, it is easy to skip over and go on to the next where I will hopefully find one of yours.

KUball14 10 years, 3 months ago

This has nothing to do with this article but...

If you are a kansas basketball fan at all, watch this video, one of the best I've ever seen.

mandomax 10 years, 3 months ago

great video KUball14. I love to see so many people editing these videos and putting them online for our viewing pleasure. That stuff takes time and dedication, and I appreciate it.

brooksmd,

Thanks for your kind words. I do believe NIH may have to issue a grant to study what it is that prevents certain persons from scrolling past what they do not like. As you, I've never had a problem scrolling past what I do not like. It is a mystery to me...well, not a total mystery. :-)

imnotpaulpierce,

With this kind of flattery, how do you get dates? :-)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Interesting story by Luke Winn! You know, this story will be forgotten once the season starts, but you can count that during every big game this season and during the NCAA tournament, the media won't let KU forget this. They know KU has a history of choking in the tournament so bringing this story up over and over and over again only benefits those in the media. I see it going away for just a little bit, but unfortuantely it will definitely be a book end over the course of the season.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

John Calipari Twitter (Sept 29, 2009)

"Boy its been fun ,you wild & crazy basketball Kentucky nutjobs, to keep up with those mean coaches online -- every morning I get a tiny John giggle from reading ESPN headlines or the Lawrence Journal World & seeing how mean the rest of the coaches are. Speaking of upchucks, we, the University of Kentucky Tigers (I'm coach of you guys can you believe I made $20 million more from you nutjobs because your president withheld the fact that Rose wasnt even smart enough to be in college!) have decided to forgo any semblence of any sort of preseason ritual because, as one of my players said last night as I tucked him & Little Johnny Wall in to bed, "when You signed us to contract, you told my agent there'd be no throwin up & no mean stuff. All fifteen of us will start & play 40 minutes for all games, You already have it figured out, & JC you are a genius, now will you please put some more cream on my feet they don't feel loved tonight!"

Oh my, you sure have some precious little baby kitty cat tigers, you Kentucky nutjobs! Man I love 'em, I wouldn't trade 'em for anything (help get me the he'lll out of this living he'll). Work each job like it will be your next you Kentucky One Toothed Weirdos!

So instead of training, us UK Tigers are drinking at the local bar we already got caught at a few weeks ago (the same one we've been getting free liquor at for years, the same place several of my players have already recieved some nice Benjamin Franklin gifts under the table from you loyal Kentucky nutjobs) &, as one of my Unnamed breaking & entering Johhny players said the other day to a drunk UK Tiger fan who he had just pick pocketed a toothpick from, as I dragged him away from the cash register, "please sir I need that toothpick, I have mints stuck in my teeth & I need to pop my stomach it has so much julip in it, I'll even tell you Coach Cal's big secret if you let me have that toothpick, that we are making a really great plan for the season which are at the bottom of all these empty liquor cups, on how everybody on the team can dribble at the same time in this amazing new offense our genius Coach is creating."

Well you Kentucky loonies I think you get the point, we're gonna have a great season & there is no way we'll be on probation, in fact I'm pretty sure my good buddy genius friend Wes took that SAT for little Johhny so, as long as all you rednecks aren't too mad at me for sending the President that UK jersey, I think there is a special little place in the Rose garden for you Tigers!"

It's been a long night -- I've gotta get some sleep so we can hit the bar again. Boy I sure am glad I've decided to tweet this year so I could be such a better coach!"

"Go big Green"

Talk to you drunken one toothed 'tards tomorrow,

Sincerely, Coach Cal

Note: Above Post could be true, but if it is, then that is amazing -- how lucky that something written to entertainment purposes could also be true.

imnotpaulpiercebutiampaulpierce'sbase1rectalthermometer,

I get a certain amount of gratuitous satisfaction thinking of you having to type all those zeroes.

Still, the mathematician and humanitarian in me compels me to recommend the following:

1 for (10^12 + 1)

or is that

1 for (10^12 + 2)?

100,

"drunken one toothed 'tards."

Classic! LOL.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Luke Winn-

Who can trust a "writer" that spells funeral (f-u-n-e-r-e-a-l).

This too shall pass!

truehawk93,

Didn't go back looking for the usage in the story/thread, but funereal is a word in Merriam Webster.

funereal One entry found.

Main Entry: fu·ne·re·al Pronunciation: fyu̇-ˈnir-ē-əl Function: adjective Etymology: Latin funereus, from funer-, funus Date: 1725

1 : of or relating to a funeral 2 : befitting or suggesting a funeral (as in solemnity)

— fu·ne·re·al·ly -ə-lē adverb

David Leathers 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate, took your advice, took my laxative, and suprisingly just like your article(which is intended to make people laugh), it didn't work!

nice try though! good luck in the future..

Wednesday Knowing The Frosh Are Wondering If They Made the Right Choice:

} All training camps are about two times worse in player's minds than they are in reality. In reality, training camps are very difficult, because it is always traumatic to switch from your own governor to a coach's governor. Just the act of switching is hard. No one wants to do it. Everyone wants to go hard and push themselves on their own terms, not on someone else's terms. But it is the player's minds that really make boot camp loom larger and harder than it actually is. If you march an army and lead them with a cadence and singing, "Ain't no sense in goin' home, Jody got your girl and gone..." 20 miles maybe tiring, but there won't be that much complaining about the distance. But if you tell them several days before that they are going to have to march 20 miles with full pack, by the day of the march the 20 miles will seem like 40 miles." Training camps are an excercise in training your mind, as much as your body.

} Alabama football legend Bear Bryant made all his training camps tougher by two, maybe four times, by having been the guy who took his first Texas A&M football team on a bus out into the desert to hold two-a-days. It was a stroke of theatrical genius. Take some big tough, but not very good footballers used to grass, and put'em out in desert scrub and run them around cacti, and do bull-in-the-ring among creosote bushes, until some of them start quitting, then: a) whomever you keep feels ten feet tall even though they are not; and b) the rest of your career each new season the player's know you're just crazy enough to drive them back out into the desert, or a swamp, or what have you, unless the players are giving you everything they have. Just the memory of the event at Texas A&M was enough to make players fear every training camp of Bryant's and then feel ten feet tall for having survived one. Of course, Bryant's camps were no tougher than most other coachs' camps, but the fear factor made them seem tougher. The same sort of thing goes on with Bill Self's boot camp. It has become its own legend in player's and fans minds, even though its probably no tougher than most other coaches' training camps. And Self lets the legend grow, just as Bryant did.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

} Even though the boot camp legend works psychologically, I wish Coach Self would abandon the boot camp concept. He is such a strong personality, and such good coach and such a good teacher, and because he is the son of educators, I really don't think he needs to rely on a military model for toughening his players. The military model is so antithetical to sports. The military is about training warriors to play group rolls in the midst of killing. Obviously, it is easy to adapt the military model to team sports and many coaches do, wittingly, or unwittingly. But sports are not about, or should not become about, performing group roles in the midst of killing. There is no killing go on. There is only the competition of a game. We should be training sportsmen and sportswomen, who can then function in organizations, where the purpose of running a government, or corporation, or small firm is not kill, or be killed, but produce a good or service profitably, so that everyone can eat and have a roof over their heads. America has so thoroughly embraced the military model in all walks of life, probably because of having won so many wars and benefitted so richly from winning them (or in recent cases just profitted hugely from sustaining them in stalemates) that the military model became irresistable. But the problem with the military model is that everything is not war. And as any military strategist will tell you, you want to fit your strategy and tactics to the task at hand. You don't bring a knife to a tank fight. You don't fight planes with tanks. You don't fight a giant land war if you are facing guerillas. In short, you fit your organization and its strategies and tactics to your competitors and allies and to the context. Basketball is not war, even though it is getting increasingly violent. A court is not really a battlefield, even though it is increasingly approached as one. A game is not war even though both war and basketball can be simulated in game theory. Basketball and war have different rules, different incentives and different permitted outcomes. To approach basketball as war is to barbarize the game. To treat basketball as a kind of warfare is to transform basketball slowly but inexorably into a more and more violent game.

continued...

} Just as I was grateful when Roy Williams resisted thug ball about ten to twelve years ago and opted to develop a running strategy that attempted to run around and past the thugs and tried to turn basketball into a strategic effort of increasing the trips up and down the floor, because it contributed for a short while to reducing the militarizing and barbarizing of basketball, I hope some day that Bill Self's obvious genius for the game, and for coaching the game, leads him to find a way to get his players to play the game as brilliantly and courageously as they do now, without militarizing the game with boot camp. John Wooden found a way to develop immense mental toughness and courage from players without resorting to boot camp. He remained a teach, a stern task master, but a teacher to the end. Bill Self is truly a teacher in the Wooden mold. His parents were teachers, too. He does not need to resort to the expedient of a military model to be great, or to produce great team play. Perhaps some day he will take this step. He could light a path and redirect the drift of the sport, if he did do it.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate,

In the famous words of Sgt. Hulka, “Lighten up, Francis.”

Boot camp is clearly a universal metaphor for getting through a rough initiation. I really don’t think using the terminology glorifies some sort of cultural blood lust. HCBS is typically the most down-to-earth guy you will ever meet. This is one instance where he publicly uses theatrics and hyperbole to motivate his guys. Is there a better way to foster a foxhole brotherhood? If so, how? I typically agree with a lot of your opinions, but I think you are making a bit much of this.

BTW – the ESPN movie with Tom Berenger as Bear Bryant and the aTm team was excellent. I’m not sure that type of training camp is typical of other training camps though.

kennethst 10 years, 3 months ago

Why so much anger toward Jaybate????

I view him as a Jayhawk National Treasure.

Besides that......fact is.......he's always spot-on!

Keep it coming, Jaybate!!!

jayhawkerjoel,

Resorting to a military metaphor, are we? :-)

MemphisMachine 10 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkerjoel is right, the term is commonly used when undergoing an intense form of training, don't question it, after all its for the team...like winners don't you? Then move aside what's in a name, hell call it a sewing class if you want as long as the end result is..well.

Another form of boot camp would be to invite the Memphis Tigers into the Big 12, and get rid of Iowa State....there's nothing like a few tigers to contend with twice a year...pure hell.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

MemphisMachine -

The SEC surrounds Memphis, Memphis tries to play as many games in both football and basketball as they can with SEC schools. Those SEC schools, for various reasons, are getting tired of the arrangements with Memphis and are not renewing the series. In football, its like 2-50 w vs. l against SEC for Memphis in about 30 years, In basketball, it's not as bad, but only Ole Miss and Tennessee have had any interest in playing the Tigers in modern history.

My point is, WHY would the Big 12 want to even consider taking on a new school that couldn't compete in football, would be an embarrasement to the conference in basketball and has been shunned by the SEC while being a natural to join them from a geographic position. The Big East doesn't want Memphis, like they took several other schools from CUSA. Nor does any other conference want them.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate, I wondered how long it would take you to respond to the irony!

MM, Keep dreaming - the world needs more optimists. Without Cal the blue tigers will start losing - fast. Iowa State is a good fit in the Big 12. Missouri State has a better chance of joining the Big 12 than Memphis.

jayhawkerjoel,

"How long? Not long."--Martin Luther King

Notice the absense of irony? ;-)

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Is the "absense" that new gizmo I'm seeing on late night infomercials? : )

KansaKid 10 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see most are handling it well thus far. Go Tyrel.!!! The fastest and best conditioned guy on the team. I would welcome the whole team to follow him as a role model. Third Years a charm...........

MemphisMachine 10 years, 3 months ago

HEY Memhawk The tigers will be in the BIGEAST and you know that, which is why you brought it up...done.