Monday, September 28, 2009

KU-Iowa State football game to kick off at 11:30 a.m.

Contest will be televised on Versus

Opurum shines in brighter spotlight

From Class 5A Texas high school football to KU's Memorial Stadium, Toben Opurum has been a workhorse of a running back.

Kansas University’s Big 12 football opener against Iowa State will kick off at 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 10 and will be televised on Versus (Sunflower Broadband channels 38 and 238).

It will be the third straight home game with a start time before noon for the Jayhawks.

KU has a bye week this week, while Iowa State takes on Kansas State on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

Other Big 12 games on television next week include Texas A&M-Oklahoma; State at 11:30 a.m. on Fox Sports Net, Oklahoma-Baylor at 2:30 p.m. on ABC and Texas-Colorado at 6:15 p.m. on ESPN or ESPN2.

Comments

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 8 months ago

11:30.. what a welcome relieve from 11:00. Not. I love football, but these early games are killing me. I think the whole crowd feels the same. The season opener was a much better environment at 6:00 than USM game, which was a much better game, at 11:00. Hopefully we steamroll them and get ourselves a couple primetime slots to close out the home schedule.

killabees 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree that the early starts seem to dampen the game day crowd. Those of us out of town love that it's televised though.

Scott Perlmutter 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't know how much more early kick-offs I can take. Waking up at 6:30am to start tailgating is rough. Then you struggle not to fall asleep around half-time after drinking and lack of sleep. If you go out the night before, you are totally screwed too. I better invest in some red bull and 5-hour energy to keep me going for that game. Also, that is HOMECOMING! What about the parade? It is too early for it now again.

patton6 10 years, 8 months ago

This being good enough to be televised thing, but not good enough for a prime time slot is really taking it's toll.

barackchalkjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Enough already. Has anyone noticed that there are very few people tailgating for these games? Why don't you ask the people who are buying season tickets if they like these early starts. I guarantee you will find that most don't.

Matt Stucker 10 years, 8 months ago

Not only a bad time to start homecomig, if you have DirecTv, you can't get it.

RckChalkJeff 10 years, 8 months ago

I have season tickets...I hate the early starts.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

The other thing about early games is we always seem to come out very flat...I know this is homecoming but we never get off to a good start...I would like more afternoon or night games...And the broadcasters for Versus really suck.

tdub 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you jeff. How about the four hour games due to the TV timeouts. I don't think the "publicity" of being on a channel like Versus is worth it.

smokedturkey 10 years, 8 months ago

Early does stink, but this is the second game broadcast on Versus, which DirecTV dropped on Sept 1. While I do not mind hitting a bar to catch the game, all the good sports bars get DirecTV. Only Red Robin seems to carry cable/Comcast/Versus. Any channel but Versus!

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 8 months ago

No we don't like these early game times. Yes it does probably hurt tailgating, but most of us still do it anyway.

People it is time to get over this. It doesn't matter how much we complain. The conference TV package sets the times for these things. Who you are playing also has some weight here. They are not going to put this game on in prime time. Just isn't going to happen.

Perhaps you all will remember back a few years when we were lucky to be on TV once or twice a year tops. While the early times are not the best, they are better than not being on TV at all. People watch football on Saturday up to 12 hours a day. The exposure of seeing the Hawks on TV can only be a plus come recruiting time. Good HS players want to play where they will be seen a lot. If that means being on at 11 a few times a year, so be it.

Just a guess here, but I think it is fairly safe to say that the other two home games will be on TV at times other than 11am.

Finally, soap box time once again. Any tickets left for sale for the upcoming conference games need to be in the hands of Jayhawk Nation, not our opponents. For those of you who have tickets already, don't even think about selling or giving them to Okla or Neb fans. The house needs to be full of Jayhawks these days. Arrowhead, same thing. I know people would rather be at Memorial Stadium, but it is going to be a big game again, and our people need to be there. Rock Chalk!!!

Cody Stumma 10 years, 8 months ago

No, we did the Parade last year... which means the parade will be at what, 9 am?

oklahoma_mead 10 years, 8 months ago

Let's not forget where we've come from. We're now on tv regularly and that's awesome regardless of the time. If we keep winning, the better our opponents later in the season will increase our chances of primetime. Keep it in perspective Jayhawk fans!

shelleysue 10 years, 8 months ago

patton6 you took the words right out of the e-mail I just sent to my friends about game time!

Trying to get to Lawrence by 8:00 and traveling about two and a half hours is killer. I do love that we get televised games and am very thankful that our program is doing so well. Jayhawk football is FUN and you gotta love that too.

Dear Lew - please get us some afternoon kick offs. You got us in the Orange Bowl - surely you can get us some afternoon games!

Also I would like to take this opportunity to beg of Jayhawk fans ... On October 24 and November 14, NO RED OR WHITE. Blue - that's what we wear. Blue.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

Just a suggestion mutt627....

but maybe you don't party so much on Friday night and conserve your energy. I know, I know...a ridiculous suggestion, against all laws of nature and scial bounds.

I take it back...what the heck was I thinking!!!!

Maybe the time choice is based on the quality of the opponent rather than KU itself?

I doubt seriously that the Oklahoma or Nebraska games will be before the lunch hour!!

10 years, 8 months ago

Agree with jayhawkjim80 and oklahoma_mead.

Would some of the above posters rather we play at 1:00pm like the "good old days" and forgo being able to showcase our football program nationally among potential recruits and the additional revenue we get from being televised? I am also a season ticket holder, and having a convenient tailgating time is not the end all be all. While I agree the Versus Channel is not the best vehicle (I have DirecTV also), it is better than nothing. TCU and Clemson fans had to watch their game on ESPN 360 on Saturday. Things could be worse for us.

TKELuke 10 years, 8 months ago

Ugh... can we please have a homecoming game not at 11ish one of these years! It so hard to tailgate and get fired up for such an early game. I mean I'm going to do it... its just easier in the afternoon :)

Kyle Helmer 10 years, 8 months ago

Most Chiefs games have started at noon for years, and people were lined up at 8:00 to get into the parking lot. It's maybe 3 Saturdays a year people. Buckle the chin strap and let's go!!!!! What is better than a cool, crisp Saturday morning tailgaiting at Memorial Stadium? If you party too much Friday, then just stay up for the whole night and sleep after the game. You have Sunday to recover too!

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!

kranny 10 years, 8 months ago

Sh#%, That's it, no more soccer for my kids. All their games are at 10 and 11. I can DVR the game but it's not the same.

TexasJayhawk78 10 years, 8 months ago

Cool it! I remember the days we were lucky to be on once a season and that was when we were getting the mu kicked out of us. Be happy we are filling the stands and are on TV!

Rock Chalk!

kuhawk88 10 years, 8 months ago

Our only concern should be whether or not the players are ready to go at 11:30am. I don't think the early start will bother them - given that it only took us 1:20 to score against Southern Mississippi. I am confident that the players will be "ready to rock" come kickoff - especially since (1) two weeks will have passed since their last game; (2) it's Homecoming (3) it's the Big 12 conference opener.

David Reed 10 years, 8 months ago

wonderful another game I can't watch.BRING BACK VS DIRECTV

d_prowess 10 years, 8 months ago

yeah, come on folks... suck it up. We all know this isn't ideal, but we don't need to cry about it. This board makes us come across a little baby-ish, with the exception of the DirectTV/Versus complaints because that does suck.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 8 months ago

VERSUS IS HURTING US IN CHICAGO SINCE IT WONT BROADCAST ON DIRECT TV.... NONE OF THE WATCH SITES CAN VIEW THE GAME...

10 years, 8 months ago

I think it is happening at the majority of watch sites. The Big 12 probably has a contract with Versus for the rest of the year that they can not get out of. The conference has already expressed displeasure with what has occurred between the channel and DirecTV. No doubt this will be a significant factor when it comes time to renew the contract for next season.

MichiganHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Being six hours ahead in the UK, these early timeslots have been a godsend!

gardenjay 10 years, 8 months ago

TV still sucks. It shouldn't rule our lives.

Carter Patterson 10 years, 8 months ago

I wish we would start playing a Thursday night game as opposed to a bye week.

Jim Sanders 10 years, 8 months ago

I have season tickets and have only made one game this year. Most of us sports fans have children that play sports as well and most of these games are early morning but always seem to interfere with 11am-11:30am games. Please.....can we just get an ABC game at 2:30 or a Fox or ESPN night game? Lew....work your magic! Your killing us fans! The only game I like at 11am is the MU game because all the drunk MIZZOO fans are too tired from working the night shift at Target and stay home.

When you see a block of unused seats every game in Section 5, that would have been us! Rock Chalk.

jbsd31 10 years, 8 months ago

I'll gladly have a 9:30 start time out here in San Diego, in exchange for another televised game. I remember living in KC several years ago and maybe only getting 2 games a year on TV out there because of the Big 12 tv deal.
Now in the past 3 years there have only been a handful of games that haven't been televised nationally. We've come a long way...I know it's nice to have the prime time ESPN, or ABC game, but for those of us living in other states, VS..ESPNU..CBS College..FSN are better than nothing. Hell, start the games at 3am...I don't care..I'm just happy to be able to see the Hawks.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 8 months ago

This is all about KU's chunk of advertising money. It has nothing to do with recruiting. Being showcased on ABC or ESPN prime time would help recruiting, I'm sure, but an early morning game on an obscure TV network is doing next to nothing for recruiting. And who cares about recruiting when we have a great team and as fans deserve to have a great atmosphere right now.

Omari Miller 10 years, 8 months ago

Don't complain to Lew about KU games being on less prolific channels. If you really want to see KU play all of its games on networks you can actually get, appeal to the Big XII Commissioner. Tell him that we either need a Big XII network, like the Big 10, or a network deal that would put air ever conference game, like the SEC's deal with ESPN and CBS. Maybe with Notre Dame continuing to fail to live up to expectations, we might see networks stop fighting over who will pay for the rights to show their games in the primetime slots?

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 8 months ago

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here, but there are a couple points that need to be addressed since my last post earlier today.

One, Lew might be able to ask, but he isn't going to have much clout come TV selection time. If the networks want OU, Tex, or whoever in the afternoon & evening slots, they will get it. Those time slots have the first picks, and as long as these high profile schools continue to be good every year, they will get picked. Makes the case for continuing to grow our program so we can get up there as well.

Second, for those of you that think the 2:30 ABC games are a big deal, they aren't really. Most of the time, the 2:30 game on ABC is regional, not national, so not everyone will see it. ABC prime time, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, and Versus (even though not on DirecTV) are actually national in coverage, so more people will see those games. Yes, this is a better time for most people attendance wise, but the game will only be in the Big 12 markets in most cases. Fact of life.

Everyone has a time problem at some point during a Saturday game. I have had a couple issues myself so far, but I am finding a way to work around it. Let's be positive, and keep winning. That will help us all in the long run.

OCJHAWK 10 years, 8 months ago

KSU v ISU at an empty Arrowhead? Are you kidding me.

Jayhawker63 10 years, 8 months ago

How come we already know the basketball times but we only know the next conference game time in football.

Annette Lee 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm not happy about the dtv and versus thing at all.. so I told them.. I thought that 24 million subscribers would weigh into their decision..To me it looks like they are saving money and just sorry at our expense.

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

Oh, come on! I work in the textbook store in the Union, and these early kickoffs are killing me, having to go to work at 7 am every Saturday.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawker63 -- The reason the bb times are already decided is because the TV times are already set. The football games are chosen week by week.

Paul Rupp 10 years, 8 months ago

Come on! 11:30 for Homecoming??? Lew---I'm a big fan, but at some point, for Homecoming---this chasing the dollars can't be worth it....

wolfblanket 10 years, 8 months ago

I personally don't mind the early starts. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. -Ben Franklin RIP. Maybe if more of you were like Ben Franklin, KU football wouldn't be in the position it is in now, having to settle for the early games. Homecoming, schmomecoming. G'day to yeh.

jhawk4life1976 10 years, 8 months ago

Good lord! All this whining makes me think I'm on a Mizzou message board. I personally don't have a problem with showing up at 6:30 AM for a tailgate. There is nothing like starting a weekend by cheering the 'Hawks on to victory.

Blake Post 10 years, 8 months ago

go away wolfbite you are a fool The problem is that KU does not start "playing before noon". We had a lot of trouble with and ISU team not long ago when it started at 11, barely won. As always, Nebraska must die.

coolhand357 10 years, 8 months ago

I have to live with "Husker Nation" up here in Nebraska. What a bunch of delusional people living in the past. Anyhoo, y'all need to get Dish Network. They have VS channel in HD, I'm happy to say. Rock Chalk!

Spencer Goff 10 years, 8 months ago

I remember getting flamed by some dbag about hating these home games and "not being a real fan," and my post was even removed as though it was contraband.

Glad to see I'm not alone. These games suck. This is the last year we buy season tickets, sports before noon is called European Soccer and its on tape delay.

90% of the people that support this aren't really at the games. 90% of the people that are at the games think these times suck.

Homecoming at 11:30am. Seriously, say that to yourself and try to make it sound like it is normal.

wolfblanket 10 years, 8 months ago

Dear NapelsMcNasty, Do you think you are some surfer dude or something? We are Kansas fans here. Why don't you go "hang 10" on some surfer website amigo? The closest thing we have to surfing here in Lawrence is Sharks Surf Shop. If you are in the area and want some new flip-flops to fit your oversized shorts maybe you can go there. And hawkman1031 maybe you and NaplesMcNasty can meet up there and pitch a tent! G'day to yeh.

Ervin O'Neal 10 years, 8 months ago

Can we all vote to replace the administration for the Big 12 conference? Seriously, our TV coverage for football is horrible compared to other BCS conferences. Our radio coverage on Sirius only includes certain teams. Our TV coverage for the early rounds of the Big 12 basketball tournament is usually on some no name network and not in HD while ESPN has women's basketball or Appalachian State playing in HD. I can't imagine that Lew doesn't think he could do a better job than those currently running the conference. 11:30 or 3:00, either way, folks like us coming from St Louis shouldn't have to wait until 12 days prior to the game to find out what time the game starts. On any given Saturday, I can watch mutliple SEC games at the same time but for some reason the Big 12 has to have their televised games spread out over the entire day as if the OU-Baylor game would be hurt by the KU-ISU game on at the same time on another network.

phi4life940 10 years, 8 months ago

Our defense needs to focus on stopping the run. If we can contain Iowa State to under two touchdowns I see KU going for 40+ points.

Rock Chalk

cg1029 10 years, 8 months ago

Is there a reason that we cant have more then one game start at the same time in the same conferance? Why can't the KU Game start at 2:30 as well as the OU game they are just broadcast on different networks?

hailtoku 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm surprised at the time of the game as well. I thought, for homecoming, the game would be at 2:30.

But honestly folks, calm down. The majority of the nation is playing then. Notice the good games are at night??? Oklahoma/Nebraska should be night games.

lance1jhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I have season tickets and I hate the 11'ish kickoffs. My liver barely gets a breather from Friday night....

On the other hand "The liver is evil and it must be punished"

10 years, 8 months ago

That's the spirit(s), lance1jhawk! :^)

While STL_Jayhawk makes a good point about the Big 12 television contract being weak compared to other BCS conferences such as the Big 10 and SEC, it is still better than most other conferences.

goshenjhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

TO Jimhawks:

I am very sorry that I am a whole week late but please please let me help you out with the problem of the leftover tickets! Don't let the seats in Section 5 (or wherever you said they were) be empty. I will gladly take free tickets and drive all the way from Indiana to be there! Hit me up on this website on any ku football or basketball article and I wil be glad to help you out with that. Much love...