Friday, September 25, 2009

Ticket ‘stimulus’ program kicks off

Stadium security

Security warnings that terrorists-in-training eye “places of amusement” as desired targets will not trigger increased security this weekend at Kansas University’s Memorial Stadium.

“We already check bags, and we will continue to do that,” said Jim Marchiony, an associate athletics director. “We’ve obviously been vigilant for years, and we’ll continue to do that.”

As officials at Kansas Athletics Inc. line up Jayhawk boosters to finance a $34 million Gridiron Club and pump another $40 million into academics, they’re working to keep less well-to-do fans in the game plan.

The department this week launched its “Kansas Stimulus” program, allowing fans to buy various ticket packages while waiting up to six months to pay.

The program is the latest this year in a lengthening list of ticket combinations and plans lined up to help get crimson-and-blue faithful in the seats without breaking the bank.

“We’re just trying to make it as convenient and as affordable as possible to attend KU events,” said Jim Marchiony, an associate athletics director. “I think we’ve been more proactive in terms of developing packages that make it more affordable, and taking advantage of all available technology to allow more flexible payment schedules.

“We know that the economic situation has affected everybody.”

Specialized packages entered play in August and continue today. Early plans offered partial season tickets that combined early nonconference games with selected Big 12 battles, ones typically in highest demand. A Saturdays in September package provided four tickets for $100.

Such deals have been successful in football, Marchiony said. The department recorded a sellout for the home opener and this Saturday’s game against Southern Mississippi.

“Those kinds of packages have been very popular, and so we’ve got to keep coming up with them,” he said.

Comments

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow.... what a bargain. I can't afford these tickets, but why don't you go ahead and give me them now and I'll pay you for them in 6 months when I still can't afford them. I get a kick out of people that go for stuff like this that are having a difficult time financially because it's NOT a good deal. YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM! It's not a sale....there is no discount. If you can't afford them now, you probably shouldn't buy them.

Um, isn't this along the same lines of thinking that got our economy where it is?

Sorry, but these kinds of offers are a pet peave of mine. I realize this is on a much smaller scale, but if you want to save the working class some money, keep them at a price we can afford....don't ask us to go on a payment plan. I think most of the working class already has enough debt.

Ryan Gerstner 10 years, 3 months ago

KU's tickets are relatively inexpensive. The only school with cheaper football tickets than us is K-State.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Not really my point. I just don't see this being a stimulus.

Jay_Z 10 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I'm crazy, but the package that gives you 4 tickets to a game for $100 seems like a pretty good deal to me....

jayhawk2062 10 years, 3 months ago

Not a stimulus? $600 in tickets up front......or $100 a month over 6 months with no interest?

Seems better to me.

areyouserious 10 years, 3 months ago

Isnt this the same concept that got all the big banks in trouble. Enticing broke people to buy something that they dont need or cant afford......nice......................oh yeah and by the way, the Government says the recession is over Lew! No worries!

bangaranggerg 10 years, 3 months ago

You can be sure you've hit rock bottom when the bank forecloses on your padded seat backs.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

You guys totally missed my point...but oh well. Jayhawk2062, have you checked interest rates recently?

KGphoto 10 years, 3 months ago

This is the first and last time I'll ever say this.

I'm with Nebraska.

Yes. This is the exact same thing that got us in such a hole as a nation. Quite honestly, as a Jayhawk, I'm a little embarrassed that they can't get a little more creative than that. So how about a brainstorm? I'll start.

-Discounts for fans who have volunteered to KU, or to Lawrence in some way. Maybe even have a whole volunteer section at the stadium. It doesn't have to be hard labor, just something that benefits KU or Lawrence, and gets good fans in the seats affordably. You could have sets of premium seating reserved for top performers or even top performing organizations. Volunteerism is a community binder. It's a win, win.

Discuss.

bpjhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm a little on the fence with this program. I understand what KG and Neb are saying, but at the same time I can see the program benefits. KUAD has had the "order and pay before the season" program where you can order your tickets and only had to pay them off before the season or game. Some people may have scheduling challenges that would keep them from knowing in advance if they can do this. This second program is like a "zero interest" loan. People can purchase the tickets and budget the payment for the next six months. Some people can do this, some can't. I like that the AD is at least making the option available for those who may not have been able to buy tickets before the season.