Originally published September 24, 2009 at 05:16p.m., updated September 25, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Apologies issued

Taylor says he’s embarrassed for role in fights

Kansas basketball players, from left, Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Tyshawn Taylor address the media about recent incidents between the basketball and football teams. The players apologized on Thursday at Wagnon Student Athletic Center.

Videos

Self, players address fights

video thumbnail

KU basketball coach Bill Self, along with players Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Tyshawn Taylor, discussed three on-campus altercations in which members of the team were involved.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self addresses the recent incidents regarding the basketball and football teams

KU coach Bill Self addresses the recent incidents regarding the KU men's basketball and football teams.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU basketball players Tyshawn Taylor, Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich talk about the recent incidents between the KU basketball and football teams.

Download podcast

Wearing a splint on his thumb and heavy wrap on his injured left hand, a contrite Tyshawn Taylor met the media Thursday afternoon in Wagnon Student Athlete Center.

“I am embarrassed about the situation. It’s a situation none of us should have gotten ourselves into,” Taylor, Kansas University’s sophomore basketball guard from Hoboken, N.J., said of his role in Tuesday/Wednesday scraps between KU basketball and football players that left him with a dislocated left thumb.

“We embarrassed our campus, our university, our team, both teams, and it’s a situation that shouldn’t have happened. Looking back at it, I feel like it was stupid and I wish I could take it back.”

Nine-and-a-half hours after taking part in the first 6 a.m. Boot Camp conditioning session of the preseason — one set up as a form of punishment for this week’s off-the-court situations — Taylor, senior Sherron Collins and junior Cole Aldrich on Thursday repeatedly apologized for the actions of the hoops and football teams.

“It was a group of individuals that let something small build up,” Taylor said. He didn’t go into specifics of what caused Tuesday night’s fight in front of the Burge Union or Wednesday morning’s incident by Wescoe and Budig halls. Sources have said it involved a dispute over a woman who used to date an athlete from one of the teams and now dates a player from the other team. “If we’d eliminated the first small thing that happened, the big thing wouldn’t have happened.”

Taylor also apologized for posting inappropriate song lyrics on his Facebook page.

“I felt I made some comments I shouldn’t have made. I didn’t have intentions of it being bad,” Taylor said. “To be honest, I didn’t want this situation to escalate to what it got to. I wish we could have nipped it in the bud from the beginning and the situation a couple days ago would not have happened.”

Collins said a Wednesday afternoon meeting between the football and basketball teams, which was headed by athletic director Lew Perkins, has resulted in the end of the feud.

“We squashed everything. We got to talk it out,” Collins said. “We shook hands and let everything go.”

It’s too bad, Collins stated, that the undisclosed disagreement resulted in fisticuffs in which Taylor was injured.

“I think for both sides it’s a situation that could have been resolved just by talking,” Collins said. “We’ve got to be grown men. Grown men don’t do stupid things, don’t let ego get in front. We have to move on and continue to support each other. We’ll be at the football game Saturday.”

Coach Bill Self showed how he felt about the situation by ordering his players into the gym for early-morning sprints.

“We had a semblance of Boot Camp today and will start it officially on Monday,” Self told the Journal-World early Thursday afternoon, noting the players would report again at 6 a.m. today.

He would not come right out and say the extra Boot Camp sessions were disciplinary measures against his squad. The inference was obviously there, however.

“I’ve been on the road recruiting a lot and have not had a chance to spend any time with the guys of late,” Self said. “I was able to spend some time with them today.”

Later in the day, like his players, he also met a pack of media members. He said he would deal with the spat with the football team in-house. He did not report any suspensions, but has not ruled them out.

“I will not say what will transpire and what will not transpire. I will tell you this: We are taking it very seriously,” Self said, noting all of his disciplinary measures have been kept in-house in his coaching career.

Of the incidents between the teams, Self said: “We have shed a negative light on a great start to a school year on a chancellor who is just getting her feet wet on the job. To me that’s totally embarrassing, especially at a place that they (players) all love attending. They are certainly disappointed they are a part of doing that. It’s very disturbing to me.”

He had no problem with extensive media coverage of the incidents, a lot of it involving Taylor, who Self stressed is “one of the best kids I’ve ever coached.”

“It’s been portrayed to be a big situation. It is. Nobody is taking that away,” Self said. “We’re talking about a select few (individuals) as opposed to handfuls. Unfortunately, a select few shed a negative light on what I consider to be a pretty clean and classy basketball program.

“I would say to our fan base, I am sorry this occurred. We will have problems in the future. There will be something that comes up in the future that we don’t like dealing with. That is the way it is with every program. You can’t say everything is bullet proof. I do think people should be pretty confident this will be addressed in a very strict manner.”

Facebook talk

Self said a member of his staff monitors Facebook pages. “The ultimate responsibility is for them (players) to project the image they need to project. We will monitor it closer. The responsibility also falls on their shoulders, not just people following them around to make sure they do things right."

Injury update

Taylor is expected to miss three to four weeks with his dislocated thumb.

“I’ve got to do a couple more checkups and see how things progress,” Taylor said of an exact time frame.

“We are hoping he can run out of the tunnel with us and do all the dances and all the other stuff,” Collins said of the Oct. 16 Late Night.

Recruiting

Harrison Barnes, a 6-8 senior forward from Ames (Iowa) High, will make an official recruiting visit to KU for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog. He will visit Oklahoma (Oct. 2-3), UCLA (Oct. 9-10) and Duke (Oct. 23-24). He already has visited North Carolina and will make an unofficial trip to Iowa State on Nov. 6-7.

Comments

Brandon Perkins 10 years, 4 months ago

Cole & Sherron apologizing too? Were they apologizing as the team captains or did they have more of a role in the situation than what we know?

ObiWan 10 years, 4 months ago

I think most people have done something they wish they could take back. Unfortunately, life doesn't have do-overs so you do exactly what Tyshawn did- you apologize and learn from your mistake. These kids come to college to grow and mature, and sometimes moments like this are part of the process. The rest of us are lucky, though, since our mistakes don't make the papers. We still love you, Tyshawn!

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen on the secon part of that for sure.... Tyshawn made a mistake, it's too bad all of our mistakes don't make the papers... then people wouldn't throw stones.

mikeowens 10 years, 4 months ago

Most of us aren't worshiped by thousands of people, nor do we represent thousands of people. That's the difference. It's about realizing it's bigger than just you.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

That's just to these kids Mike ? Because they play a game well they should be raised to a higher regard.... there human just like you and I.... they should be treated as such.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

We most certainly were disappointed, Tyshawn.

Nice job with the timely apology.

Do you guys get it now? More kids across the world pay attention to you guys than any NBA team -- you guys quite literally are as big as it gets.

It's time to call ESPN & let them know it wasn't 30,000 people fighting.

Rock Chalk, Tyshawn.

mikeowens 10 years, 4 months ago

Never said I don't make mistakes (certainly made plenty), but I'm not a public figure. TT and company are, and as such they should expect to be scrutinized when they act like idiots while representing their school.

kansaspike 10 years, 4 months ago

Nice. We all do indeed make mistakes. Glad he was a man about it.

Lets move on and and get back to talking hoops and football!

100 10 years, 4 months ago

It's time for an apology from the 19 year old girl.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow, testosterone flowing like wine around Lawrence. Hey, who knows the situation? None of us Im sure. You get baited and taunted enough anybody can lash out. Somebody runs up a flight of stairs hollerin at you who knows what anybody might do? What would you do? Who knows. Everybodys apologized and realizes their mistakes so hey, lets move on and kick some southern A on Saturday. And Selfs boot camp should quiet down some egos. Rated number one now doesnt mean squat. Listening to one shining moment on the floor of the final four with a smile does. So does playing in that bowl game around New Years and seeing the stands filled with crimson and blue all cheering on the Jayhawks as they work their way up the ladder of respectability and pull off yet another BCS victory. Those are the things Jayhawk fans are looking for.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Folks, don't be so fast to applaud Tyshawn and the apology. Do you think he had a choice to step up and meet the press? Hell no. Hes been coached on how to address this event for many hours now.

Ultimately, actions speak louder than words. If the behaviour continues to match how he is being portrayed - fine. Awesome. But, I mean great spin on the posting of lyrics. Of course there was a message to someone there. But of course, he was just posting words to a song. Right. I have some land in Florida for sale... Did any of you buy that, or did you just want to believe?

Hell, everybody wants to "put this behind us and move on". Each time I effed up, I've wanted to put it behind me too! Mui pronto! As fans, are you really more concerned about playing in a championship game? You should be worried about Tyshawn the person first. You can still be a fan.

I'll also go out there and say I agree with Mr. Owens and strikewso (on other posts). Very strongly. They are ambassadors of our university. I'm sorry wayward, but there is a responsibility they have as athletes that goes a little beyond yours and mine. You and I can get liquored up and beat each others asses to a pulp in front of the student union. Our asses would be in jail. You and I both know it. They get special treatment. That leads to thinking they are subject to different rules. There are not in life.

Point: We both must work for a living. We have a job description. Expectations. If I don't meet those expectations, I am history. No questions. No second chance. No apology and lets put this behind us.

I can guarantee you that when you accept a scholarship at KU, you are signing on to represent the university in a positive light. I had 5 offers in the early 80s and they all had "morality" clauses which could have led to the termination of my financial aid and status as an athlete.

So, is there history? Is it fixed? I hope so. It is embarassing. I live in Texas. I went to dinner in Austin last evening. It was raining. I have one rain jacket, and it is pretty obvious when I wear it that I'm a Jayhawk. Care to guess how many walked up to me in 75 minutes and said something about this "event"? It is more than 10. I was in a nice restaurant, not a bar.

For those of us living in hostile territory, we still have to represent. We are fans. But I don't really need this crap. I used to be able to kick sand in their face about dope smoking Ricky Williams. Then Mario had his "mistake", At least the KSU guy had the sense to hide in the damn closet. I don't have that advantage now. I get nonsense about the Shady grade changing deal. That is part of being a fan. My job as a fan just got a hell of a lot harder.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

(I'm not Jaybate, I didn't know there was a 3,000 character posting limit! I must be on a roll)

They want to portray this as just a few people. According to the police, it was 100 people in front of the union. Isolated? Define isolated! I would imagine most of you would say less than 5. Unless you are just trying to win an argument, then you would say 100.

That said, I love both coaches and their attitudes. I know it will be handled and handled without regard to wins and losses. We as fans should root accordingly.

Peace out. (Thats me being a G).

d_prowess 10 years, 4 months ago

I think one of the first rules to being a fan is to not bitch about it being hard!

Scatterhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Brad Miller 10 years, 4 months ago

It is good to see this and I believe Ty is sincere regardless of what help he did or didn't have with his words. The whole thing is both stupid and serious at once but not the end of the world. We will be alright. As many have said, it's part of growing up. Jayhawks will continue to ROCK CHALK!

SCHNBALL 10 years, 4 months ago

if you are looking for a guy on the roster that will have his minutes cut, look no further than TT. I don't say this for the recent actions, I say this because I do not see the maturity in this kid from any point in the last season until now. He was a no show in the AA'S and I don't look for him to mature anytime soon. But I hope I am wrong. Tons of talent but lacks in all other areas. Hope I am wrong, I like his game when brings it to the floor.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn needs to go back to Jersey, we don't need this kind of BS at KU.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

scatterhawk: "So, Rivals is reporting that Harrison Barnes has scheduled an official visit for Late Night as of today. You guys were right, this has killed recruiting!"

It most certainly has impacted recruiting. Where was Coach Self supposed to be yesterday and today? In Lawrence babysitting his basketball team and doing damage control? Or by his own words, out on the recruiting trail. Recruiting is his focus right now. Not running kids until they puke and squaring away a program. So, there is an impact. Barnes is great news, but what is the unknown at this point? We will never know...

klineisanazi 10 years, 4 months ago

What I want to know is if Keegan was there to look into Taylor's eyes to see if he was truly contrite. I guess we will find out tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Scatterhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Just like when JR Giddens was getting into fights at bars, and CJ GIles was continually getting into trouble with the team/law; recruiting took a serious hit and Bill Self had to work for decades to rebuild the team. No one will ever go to KU after this event. I mean, a guy DISLOCATED HIS THUMB. The shame. The ignominy. How will we ever recover?

I mean, my God. The kid quoted Lil' Wayne! Deport him!

pbowman2 10 years, 4 months ago

You all saw what Taylor said on facebook. That was the real TT, not his so-called apology. We don't need his attitude at KU. Send him home. Now.

ObiWan 10 years, 4 months ago

If Cole Aldrich hurt his hand in a fight with Todd Reesing and Kerry Meier and his facebook had quotes from Willie Nelson songs, all of you would say "boys will be boys."

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

If Aldrich hurt his hand in a fight with Reesing and Meier and quoted Willie on Facebook I think I would say "WTF" - which is exactly what my first post on this matter said what seems like 15 days ago.

As for the latest argument that this hasn't impacted recruiting. Really? So you are saying that we are recruiting the same class of athletes that we did during the Giles and Giddens era? (Don't forget about Pierce getting stabbed). This was Roy Williams class talent. Coach Self is in the running for much better talent now that he has cleaned up that mess. How long did it take us to get back to a Final Four. All you care about is winning.

John Brown 10 years, 4 months ago

It doesn't matter if the apology is scripted, sincere, or unsincere. Bill's Boot Camp will leave a lasting impression on the entire team. I am sure that this behind the scene disciplinary action which pulled Bill in from the recruiting trail will be an induring experience that will stick in the memorys of these kids for most of their adult lives. They should sleep well tonight in fear of round two tomorrow.

kualuminohio 10 years, 4 months ago

Posting this again, This is about preserving the integrity of the institution, the fact that we are blessed with excellent sports is great, but... KU Athletics is one piece of the pie... When I was at KU I didn't live for sports, I was there to get an education. Now I live for the sports... Got to respect the football players, these are guys who are real Jayhawks. they go to battle for 4 years, they put in there time, oh and they get an education on top of it... Imagine that... I dont respect these fools who come in and bail after a year to go play for the NBA. KU should be a educational institution first and formost. If you play for KU you should be playing to get an education. You should be coached to be the best basketball player... Maybe Coach Self views himself to be an educater vs. a coach... Anyway, still love (all the respect for both coaches as well) KU sports, go Jayhawks... But seriously Coach needs to step up and make a tough decision in this matter and it needs to be hard lined...

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

dynomite. Thanks! I'll be happy to go G on the ex. Just need some digits... (or is that only applicable to phone numbers and not addresses? Damn, I'm white...)

I was subbing for jaybate... You can read him here:

I just watched the video of the apology. I kept wondering why Cole was there and if he is super pissed. What a team mate...

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 4 months ago

ObiWan, Why does everything have to be about race. No one on here mention it was because he was black. When we root for him on the court it obviously isn't because he is white. The 50's and 60's are over move past that time. Most people have nothing wrong with a person that is a different color, and shame on them if they do. It sounds like you might have a problem though.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

JayhawkCasey,

I think ObiWan just might be innocent here. He called someone out on a similar matter at:

So, maybe he's on your side. I don't really know.

RCJHKU

MNHawk23 10 years, 4 months ago

Kuwells- I agree that these guys represent our school and therefor need to be extra extra careful of their off the field/court activities. I mean the fact that they have been showing this every 15 minutes on espn proves it. even though it was like 4 people shoving (not a 100 player brawl) and that "flight of stairs" was like 4 6inch stairs.

but i completely disagree that they got special treatment. I think the extra boot camp they get is punishment enough, not to mention the now national view that you are a punk who starts brawls. I saw the "fight" on wednesday morning. I have seen probably 20 fights worse than that in my life, and none of them involved any jail time. and 90% of those had absolutely no punishment besides the awkward "hey man sorry i punched you last night" "hey its ok forget about it"

I think the main lesson that Tyshawn and a certain cornerback should learn is... Bros before hoes!

100 10 years, 4 months ago

LJW -- isn't it quite apparent that half of these posts are from other teams' fans -- as a newspaper what's your policy when it's quite apparent other fans are pretending to be KU fans, and are repeatedly image bashing?

Lets face it, half of the subversive stuff being said above (mostly from new names)... Its straight from Columbia...

What KU fan in the world can seriously be mad at Coach Self?

Only a Tiger (newsflash to Columbia, Coach Self was out of town when this happened & Tyshawn is in trouble that's why boot camp started a week early).

Another newsflash to the Tiger fans -- there were not one hundred, nor 30,000 people "brawling".

There were literally two people who threw two punches -- the rest of the teammates being there didn't look good, but no more punches were thrown than Tyshawn's & the return punch.

Let's put it this way -- if your version is true, hundreds of people would be in the hospital right now.

This was a fight between two people about one girl, with a lot of people shouting who said later they shouldn't have been there. It didn't look good & people had to get in there to break it up.

A bad day for us for sure -- however, next time before you post don't get your information from an ESPN story printed from a day ago.

We all support you Coach Self & thanks for coming back on such short notice...

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Chris Shaw 10 years, 4 months ago

Why does Cole make me laugh when he gives an interview?

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

kushaw: Because he makes you think of Andy Griffith and apple pie?

100: Hey, a post that didn't demand the lady be identified or kicked out of school. You're mellowing! :)

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Kuwells,

1. Who is this 19 year old hot, smart, feisty woman?

2. Can she cook?

3. What are her grades?

4. Why has she not been expelled yet?

5. Can the LJW please get an interview with this soul-depleting homo sapien who is stealing our precious oxygen?

rawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm at the point of trusting that this matter is really dead. Not that it will be forgotten in players, coaches, fans, media, or rivals fans' minds. Tyshawn messed up and fessed up.

I agree that non-KU fans are on this board yet again.

I need to take up a new hobby like dominos.

But I do trust the matter is dead; I will watch the game Sat; and I look forward to basketball; I trust the players will have some humility; RCJH

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

100:

Why are you asking me!

1. Secret. Just like who got in the way of Tyshawns thumb.

2. Yes. She's dishin up some nice... Well, you know.

3. For the Mrs. degree, do you really not need grades?

4. Why does that matter? Really? What did she do?

5. Do you really want to hear this? What kind of questions? What is your technique? Are you a pervert!

Sorry to pick the scab.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 4 months ago

Oh, shutup you dummie. That is a very unclassy thing to say. In fact, TT and the Morris guys would probably laugh at your old ugly white sad attitude. You should be embarassed but no doubt you are downing Coors Lite and eating donuts.

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

100 has made some very wise comments. According to Kuwells, it really doesn't matter what the cause of this mess is. On the contrary, a lot of posters here are 19 year old men who need to read what 100 says.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 4 months ago

The truth is, Cole, Reesing or Kerry Meier would never, ever do something so dumb or get mixed up in this kind of thuggery. Kind of ironic that they were stuck going to the meetings and apologizing.

DXJhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Cole looks really angry in that picture.

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 4 months ago

"It’s too bad, Collins stated, that the undisclosed disagreement resulted in fisticuffs..."

Yes, I'm sure Collins used the words "fisticuffs", seriously? Hey, the 1920s called, they want them fightin words back.

Timmay97 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm so curious to see this chick that they were fighting over (if that is indeed true). Does she look like Giselle Bunchen, Kristen Bell or Halle Berry?

Or does she look like Sloth from Goonies?

Guarantee you she's not worth fighting over either way.

As I said yesterday in a post......Tyshawn Taylor is not needed nearly as much this year with our talent level than he was last year. Frankly, the only thing that would be missed to me is his defense (which is a big deal in Bill Self's system).

Can't we all just get along!

Aligned 10 years, 4 months ago

Maxhawk;

After reading your comments I'd have to say the "armpit of America" is not New Jersey, but your mouth.

Seriously, a couple of punches are thrown and you're ready to write off everyone on the eastern seaboard? That's a bit of a stretch.

Tone down your rhetoric a little.

Kevin Long 10 years, 4 months ago

All my friends and family who are MU and KSU are just loving this. The same type of things happens everywhere! No, not exactly the same thing, but come on nobody should be throwing stones at KU.

yates33333 10 years, 4 months ago

waywardJay. I am glad, thankful, elated that my mistakes don't make the newspaper. Just knowing them makes me understand other people's mistakes.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 4 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement. Any further use of this comment is strictly prohibited to the internal whim of the poster. All further thoughts shall be contained by the violating poster until they can break away from nerdy work cube and subdue any urges to spontaniously comment on this mindless blog.

"Hello my honey, hello my baby, hello my ragtime gal..."

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. UK fan is bagging all over me this week.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Tell UK fan to enjoy the ongoing NCAA investigation regarding the gifting of UK basketball players over the last two years at a local Lexington pub by the bar owner & it's patrons. How much money changed hands (a month of this was during Cal's time) is hard to know, but certainly a lot of mint julips were had by Jodie Meeks to think he'd get drafted in the 1st round!

Justin Carlson 10 years, 4 months ago

Comng from the stand point of a father who has kids that idolize this university both the basketball and the football team it is very sad and disappointing to say the least! My God I had to sit down with my daughter (who has a huge picture of her and Mario from the 2007 holiday clinic) and explain why he did what he did and the difference between right and wrong. Now Tyshawn's BS! University of Kansas and Self you want to make an impression on me as a father tell me you ran the team esp. TT up and down the bleachers in AFH till they cried! Tell the public you singled his ass out in practice and made him realize he is destroying the team concept! Give me some idea of what you have done and are going to do make sure this doesnt happen again! One of the best young men you have coached? There is one less fan of TT in central KS

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

Thank you HCBS! Keep the rest of this mess behind closed doors and away from the media. And yes, any disciplinary action should be done privately. Apologies accepted and a bad lesson learned!

Over, done- Let's move on...play ball guys!

Chris Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

Cole: "(I am killing you with my eyes... do you see them? They are kealing you...)"

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 4 months ago

Thanks 100, I try to ignore any local news here. Bob Lost Four Chickens Last Week To Overuse Syndrome. They Invented Cruise Control And It May Be On Your Car. Cheesing Invention Is Bad For Your Health. You know, the usual stuff.

Kevin Long 10 years, 4 months ago

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

This was an ugly incident, but at least our COACH isn't making racial slurs. Check this out:

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Jhawkins -- I couldn't have said it better myself.

The last two days has felt worse than Yoko breaking up the Beatles -- for the Fab Four, the break up lasted unfortunately forever.

For the Fab Fifteen (KU basketball team), our breakup lasted about as long as it takes to throw one punch with our thumb inside the fist...

So why were we so rescilient & the Beatles so weak in times of turmoil & utter chaos?

One thing the Beatles didn't have going for them was....

Bill Self was not their manager!!!

(and it took John 10 years & getting shot to realize they should've listened to Paul).

On a sidenote, unlike the foul smelling brilliance of this sabotaging Four Ovaried KU braniac, at least Yoko had a mind and truly did love John -- fighting was the last thing floating around in her grey matter -- In short, based on the simple principles of loyalty & having more than half of a possum brain, I would trade Yoko any day of the week for this 19 year old smokin hot psycho ward patient at KU.

(just please, Coach Self, keep her out of practice, that was 99% of the problem to begin with, Yoko hanging on John during the recording sessions).

19 year old girl: I don't care how hot you are -- you will not get a walk on role on the Kansas Jayhawk men's basketball team!

19 year old girl's mother: Please make your smelly dog of a daughter transfer to Kentucky or Mizzou!!!

Mike Del Vecchio 10 years, 4 months ago

Come on! He's a 19 yr old college student! He cracked someone...oh well! If it had been anyone other then a BB player we would have heard nothing! What he puts on his FaceBook page is up to him..not the media or anyone else! If they get out of line cracken again!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

milehighhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Some of this holier-than-thou attitude is astounding.

"Yeah! Kick 'em off the team! Send 'em back to Jersey!"

You need to get your head checked. These are 18 and 19 year old kids who made a stupid mistake. They apologized, in front of the entire sports world, which is a hell of a lot more than anyone posting in here had to do at the same age.

Grow up.

rock chalk

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 4 months ago

Cole looks like the upset father in this picture making his kids appoligize for picking on the neighbor kid!

okiedave 10 years, 4 months ago

None of us knows the young lady who has been mentioned regarding this incident. She certainly was not at fault. The players accepted full responsibility for their actions and that is exactly where the responsibility lies. The young lady involved may be one of the nicest, kindest, and sweetest young ladies on campus and is probably upset that this incident accured. Give the young lady a break, it was not her fault. .

Now, Southern Mississippi fan base believes that the K.U. football team has been so distracted and demoralized by this incident that they are going to do a Houston v. Oklahoma State upset. They simply do not understand how trivial this whole matter really is. I think the Hawks will be ready to play some football saturday.

MNHawk23 10 years, 4 months ago

i hear when tyshawn was apologizing, kanye west jumped in and said 'yo tyshawn, im really happy for you and imma let you finish, but Kobe Bryant had one of the best basketball player apologies of all time!'

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

MNHawk23 - LOL ! Thanks for bringing some humor.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 4 months ago

Maxhawk, yeah, stay away from the east coast. Remember that bum, Russell Robinson?

JayCeph 10 years, 4 months ago

What I can't figure out is... if this isn't such a big deal, then why is it such a big deal? Know'm sayin'?

If this happens everywhere, why aren't we hearing about happening everywhere?

It seems to me like there is some legitimate merit behind the concern being poured over this (seemingly) small issue.

LAHawk11 10 years, 4 months ago

O.K. this is the way i see it. These guys are in college and they are having fun. So what they got into a fight that stuff happens all the time its just cuz we are the Jayhawks that it is being blown up so much. The only thing that gets me kind of mad is that is was over a chick.... Im sure that their are many more females around to just be fighting over one. so come on lets get over this and get ready to win another NC....RocChalkJHawk

KUFan90 10 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to our latest Tigger imposter : Maxhawk.

Hey, why don't you run along back to your Tigger boards and continue your preparation for another year of mediocre MU basketball.

beebe1 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Some great humor! I busted out laughing several times. Now let's all have another laugh and turn to football.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

The only real problem we face is an over-reaction of suspending a few or a bunch of players over this tempest in a tea pot.

KU has a new chancellor that is going to be tempted to view this as the first big test of her authority. Being a bureaucrat skillful enough to be hired to be the chancellor of a major university, you can bet she is studying carefully the response of Kansas voters, Kansas legislators, and Kansas media, with a big wet finger held up and testing the prevailing winds to see which way they are blowing.

Her initial position has apparently been issued simply to buy time to see where this leads. She is probably trying to decide which eventual position she will take based on what is best for her power and public image and based on what is best for the bottom line of her new fiduciary responsibility--the University of Kansas. In short, she is waiting to see if this will all blow over, or not.

If it does not, then she will likely take steps to ensure her authority and KU's bottom line and the decision will have precious little to do with what actually happened. Steps will be taken to optimize her authority and KU's bottom line.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

This self-preservation tendency of chancellors is yet another reason why players should never fight, or do anything else that puts them in the cross hairs of authority at KU.

The police are usually cool in these cases. They are used to so much more violence that this is in their comfort zones. They do their jobs. They follow the letter of the law tempered with some sympathy for the crimson and blue.

The coaches have to keep order day to day, and Self increasingly has to look mothers in the eye day to day (since so many are moved to Lawrence), so they are always pretty tough in the discipline they mete out.

But when you draw the chancellor into things, look out. The chancellor, for better or worse, has to think about her career, about the politics of every situation, and about the bottom line. Boys, boys, boys, don't fight. Don't trigger the chancellor to have to play politics with your futures. She will without hesitation. Whatever her other virtues as an educator and scholar, and they are likely many and estimable, the chancellor is a bureaucratic shark that tirelessly swims through turbulent episodes seeking to turn every turbulence to her advantage. She is good at it. She is better at it than either Lew, or Bill, or she would not be chancellor. When provoked, she will sacrifice to the last drop of your blood. Don't force her to. Don't fight. Be smart, even if you can't always bear the heart break of college romance.

Now to those hoping for some sadistic boot camp as retribution for the mis-judgements of these young men, and the mystery Helen that has so enflamed their hearts?

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

Oh, it is so easy to wish suffering on others, when you don't have to partake. Think of all the suffering we have stupidly wished on the Iraqis just because they look to us a little like the fake Arabs carrying box cutters onto airplanes nearly a decade ago now. This wishing for others to suffer for errors in judgement that we cannot even document adequately enough for police action seems about as inappropriate as basketball players going out and fighting (no make that taunting, fighting just doesn't seem to fit the facts so far) football players over a broken love affair.

I, for one, hope Bill Self lays it on pretty thick about how it is his fault for not having been at home enough and that from here on out order has resumed. I hope that he talks a good game about running a tough boot camp. But I hope he has the good sense to know that the talk alone is enough. Boot camp, and guilty minds of children, will do the rest without intensifying it. Intensifying it will only lead to a burn out in December, or January, and to a bunch of unnecessary problems and injuries long after this tempest in a teapot has been forgotten. It is also collective punishment for a team that you can be sure had several innocent players on it, several guys who were just too smart, or too traditional of basketball playing panzies, to have ever gotten involved.

Boot camp is plenty tough already.

Frankly, the boot camp mentality and all the body building is probably part of the dynamic that triggered the episode in the first place.

Basketball players used to be too wimpy to ever even think about taking on football players, especially a team of them.

Football players like contact. They thrive on physical aggression. They really are pretty tough customers, just because they are used to getting hit and hurting from it from time to time. The object of the game is to knock the heck out of another human being.

Basketball players? They like to push and shove, and throw balls in baskets, but when the gloves come off, if they can't sucker punch and run, they are traditionally, with a few exceptions of course, pretty wimpy by comparison. Even a lot of the big brawny hoopsters don't really want to get down to it and brawl. Not when you've got to lose teeth and retinal connections to do it. Not when you are badly out numbered. There is a rule in the hood. Never fight without the numbers on your side. Never fight unless you can sucker punch and run. It is not an admirable rule. But it is imminently rational.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

My guess is that some improbable combination of super nova expectations about this season and ensuing big heads, the now deeply rooted Self boot camp mentality, the increasingly violent play of D1, the newly spiking standard of violence of the Great Stagflation afflicting our society generally, sending skinny basketball players to weight training to turn basketball geeks into prison bodies, the emerging Matriciano style legend of training (few do it, but training to a standard of the Navy Seals is seductive to all young men and further blurs the line in their youthful, half-formed minds between sportsman and warrior), plus all the other horrendous media violence that ever increases the drenching of our already half savage culture with violence, plus a football program trying to build the kind of esprit de corp needed to stand toe to toe with a legendary basketball program, plus the igniter of busted romance involving both teams, all of this converged into a brief delusion in the minds of KU basketball players that they could some how trash talk and brawl with a bunch of football players that could eat them for lunch any day of the week.

And because both teams are trained not to fight off the fields, the trash talking and taunting and shoving became the only outlet for all the violent dynamics at play in the individual and group psychologies of these two teams. Its actually a testimony to the coaching and the players that things didn't get any worse than they did. In the old days, half the basketball team would be at the dentist's offices, or need to be.

The end result of all the "violence" was, of course, some incredibly weak pushing and shoving in which the sum total of the violence apparently turns out to be a dislocated thumb. Wow! What a bunch of violent thugs KU has. :-)

Not exactly Iraq, if you get what I mean. Not exactly Cabrini Greens either. Sherron probably used to see worse than this every weekend. The Morris twins are from Phillie. A fight in Philly without an entry and exit wound? Not even West Side Story. No knives. Not even Romeo and Juliet. No Tybalt and Mercutio. No poisoned lovers.

Frankly it was apparently a rather pitiful display of testosterone driven college violence, as they have gone over the last century. Heck, more Englishmen and Irishmen are injured after a friendly fight outside a pub over soccer than were injured in this pitiful bit of fighting that everyone is now calling for sadistic boot camp treatment to remedy.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else get how ridiculously pathetic the fighting must have been for 100 raw-meat-eating college football players and 15 punch and run basketball sissies to wind up with one measly dislocated thumb? At least that is what we know so far, right? Or are the coaches, Lew, and the Chancellor withholding information vital to a police investigation?

Why, the biggest fall out from this may be that southern football teams are going to look at the KU football teams like they are a bunch of tip-toeing ballerinas. Southern football players like to beat each other up just for fun! Heck, southern coaches beat each other up sometimes. Billy Bob from Burnt Neck Alabama is going to be saying: these KU pussies can't even beat up a basketball team? Let's run up the score and then stomp on them for kicks.

More injuries and more severe injuries used to occur among fans after KU football games with OU in the post game fights that ended up in melees in Potters Lake than occurred with this pathetic show of testosterone. Why some of the KU players used to participate in the brawls with the fans at Potters Lake in the old days.

In fact, the question has to be asked: is there any real testosterone on either of these KU sports teams, or are they being fed a diet of quiche and fruit?

Time to fess up.

In any real fight among KU football and KU basketball, the KU basketball team would already be in the morgue.

And as the KU basketball team is running itself into shape in Boot Camp, I am hoping that is what Coach Self is telling his players. Wake up guys, you are basketball players. You are darned lucky the KU football players were apparently not really angry. Otherwise, I would be holding student try outs to replace all of your broken bodies with walk ons.

Whistle! Take five! Give the football players wide swath. Smile at them. Stay out of their ways. Now, be ready to do slides! We've got a ring to win. They'll choke like they always do down the stretch.

Rock chalk!

gwenthejayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I've gotta a deal for anyone wishing to take it.

I will guarantee you will have a chance at the NBA or NFL and all you have to do is the following.

1) Don't punch anyone. 2) Go to class

What part of this don't athletes understand?

Well, I have a great chance at the NBA/NFL but, not sure I can let that person get away with that comment so I better smack 'em.

Too bad I run a 10.2 40; b/c I think I could follow the other 2 requirments to a T.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 4 months ago

Just read a similar accounting on ESPN.

Not surprised by Bill Self's take on this and that just adds to his credibility. Also, good for his players stepping up, swallowing their pride, and addressing the issue head on.

On the down side, where are the football player's culpability in all this? Didn't I just read a day ago that Mangino didn't think this was any worry? Sorry but he just went down in credibility.

gthejayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

That's right Soobawls!!! He said, "None of your (damn) business!", and none of my damn business either, or anyones damn business that Self doesn't want to make it their business. Let the man do his job.

And I'm sorry you feel so damn insecure.

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

Okiedave - I agree your speculation is just as valid at 100's. It's just that 100's is not often talked about while being experienced frequently, so I wouldn't be pushing your rosy view of relationships without examining what is really going on in the U.S.A.

bigblackjeff 10 years, 4 months ago

Leave it up to Bill to make things right, I'm glad he's here.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 4 months ago

Would you guys lay off Calipari's niece?

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate,

You & I both know the biggest problem KU has had to deal with is the absolute glamorization of "what really" took place.

For instance the initial story by ESPN was amended a few hours after the national public was informed that the entire football team had fought the entire basketball team.

You & I both know nothing even close to this occurred, although in reading your post it appears you are speaking only after reading the initial glamour reports.

Details have become much more clear over the last couple days -- this was a conflict between two people about a girl, and unfortunately they brought a bunch of friends to watch. Yes there was a lot of shouting, but your point you made is the best:

If 115 intensely trained big strong athletes (or even five for that matter) actually "fought", don't you think there would be more injuries than one dislocated thumb?

I almost always enjoy reading yoir posts, but I expect much more out of you Jaybate than your most recent post which says nothing of what the press did in all of this, and did little to remind anybody about how many punches were actually thrown -- this was a sensationalized story, an embarrassing moment for KU to be sure.

But really -- one dislocated thumb? Here's the facts -- the kids messed up by being there, they have made up & I expect you of all people to call a spade a spade.

Rock Chalk Jaybate

ObiWan 10 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate brings to light an excellent point that I hadn't even considered: If this was such a reprehensible, thugged-out battle royale, then why is a dislocated thumb the only injury of note? People get hurt worse than that playing board games! Clearly poor judgement was demonstrated, but nothing that would justify the backlash that has occurred.

KGphoto 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't even care if jaybate was right or wrong. That's just good reading.

However, I think the underestimation of the basketball team in a fight with the football team (in equal numbers of course) could be far off. They got the reach baby. Just ask Fridge Perry. Manute Bol disgraced him.

Taylor looks small on the court but he's 6'3". Wheeler is the tallest football Jayhawk at 6'7". Besides, these aren't NFL players. Our linebackers are mostly around 220-230lbs. I can't imagine KU's current front line would be so awfully intimidated by a bunch of 6 footers. Have you shaken hands with a 6'10" man lately. It's crazy. I'd actually like to see some of those matchups.

On another note. I haven't seen an ounce of accountability from the football players yet. Not one name so far. Certainly TT didn't just throw a haymaker into the wind.

LJ how bout some football names!

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

my prediction is 2,000,000 posts by the end of the weekend.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Okiedave -- did I read your post right?

Are you seriously speculating that the fusebox of this embarrassing story could be "nice"?

Are you kidding me?

Tyshawn -- R U N. AWAY.

This one is fools gold with legs -- wait a couple years to find the real gold in the mountains after you've honed your dynamite skills.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

OK Jaybate I'll admit your post was funny & well written.

I guess I just expect more out of you when ESPN for a couple hours on a completely innaccurate story was trying to singlehandedly tear down our hoops program, saying both teams fought each other in an all out brawl.

I'll repeat what you said & hope you have time to take off on a full fledge novel:

1. All out brawl between 115 kids, each averaging 265 lbs with 8% body fat.
  2. One minor injury?

My point to you is, shouldn't Lew Perkins inform ESPN & other national outlets how many actual punches were thrown? (by the way it was two in an "all out brawl")

Jack Wilson 10 years, 4 months ago

Sorry if I haven't read every post, so perhaps I'm duplicating someone. But this can be a huge positive. Team-building.

These type of deals bring individuals together. It's like in your family .. you can get in fights with your brother, but if someone else threatens them, look out. You close ranks and get that "bunker" mentality.

In the end, this could make this basketball team even stronger .. from a "team" perspective. Let's just go to battle for each other on the court.

LionHawkS 10 years, 4 months ago

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

dynomite! +1!

The headline:

Kansas taps Memphis

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 4 months ago

Totally from way out in left field....

I've seen an ESPN documentary on Texas Tech when Bobby Knight was putting prospective walk-ons through his work outs. Most of these guys didn't make it through the early stages. The ones who made it further and further wanted to be Red Raiders so bad they faced physical exhaustion and injuries in hopes to sit on the bench and be beaten up and down at every practice. I'm sure the prospects for our team face similar challenges and have equal determination.

To be given a Jayhawk uniform means you are representing thousands of former players and millions of fans and supporters regardless if you play 10 minutes a game or 10 minutes for the season.

There is a code of conduct that needs to be instilled in each and every one of these players, scholarship or walk-on. To dismiss the occassional situation with the old "boys will be boys" attitude is dangerous and irresponsible. Just as the NBA has their orientation program, which is still a sore spot from a couple of years ago at KU, universities need to force the issue from day one that conduct and perception is just as critical as skills and potential. The discipline of teams on game days, such as dress codes, etc. needs to spill over onto the on-campus and off-campus demeanor that these athletes present.

One of my early mentors preached that "Perception is greater than reality". In this society of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, cellphone cameras, texting, etc. reality is quickly changed by perception with little or no opportunity to get a second chance. How a situation appears is generally accepted by the majority and becomes more credible than research into facts and accounts by reasonable persons. We are living in the Jerry Springer world where the more sensational an event is, the more attention it gets. Mature adults can control their lives by their actions. We were given the gift of a brain that can make decisions and determine right from wrong. Why are we not using this gift?

John Randall 10 years, 3 months ago

""Taking about..let's say the last 50 athletes that have gotten in trouble anywhere in the country, how many have been white??? Not many. I think there is a trend here.""

And none at all have been green. Those martians just never get called on their behavior, do they?

Confrontation 10 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry boys. Unlike those football players, you'll be making millions soon while they're working at McDonald's. Don't waste your time on them.

MemphisMachine 10 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawks seem to be unraveling, hopefully things stay on course all the way through Mid November, so that we can defeat you and feel a little bit better about losing what was rightfully ours, the National Championship of '08. There's a new powerhouse in college basketball. Oh and Southern Miss will beat Kansas on Saturday...remember I said it 1st, there you go.

indijayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I like the look on Cole's face :)

Confron... your name says enough...

Jaybate.. interesting perspective but one punch or 1000 punches its KU's image which took the beatings...

I wish it was all a nightmare and my wife will wake me up now..

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

MemphisMachine-

If the 08 NC was "rightfully yours", it TOO would have been wiped away just like every other game won that year. So, how would that have tasted to you?

Which program has unraveled, the one whose coach has a big ring on his finger or the one whose 31 year old coach was the sixth choice to be offered the head coach job. Or, is it the team that produced the #1 draft pick who will not allow the Bulls to announce him as having played at Memphis where he had to have somebody else take his SAT so he could even play for the one year?

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, you would make a good communist.

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 3 months ago

Andre3000 = Tyshawn BigBoy = football player Caroline = coed

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Approx -- awesome video of what exactly happened the other day on campus.

Now I can go to sleep.

KansaKid 10 years, 3 months ago

Like I said many times before. This is why Tyrel Reed will get more time. Rock chalk

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

100,

ESPN treats KU so shabbily so often IMHO that I am not surprised by their so far apparently significant distortion of the events at issue. KU is a small media market team where they perhaps feel no intolerable blow back will result from reporting it as they have.

I will try to novelize it when I have more time to think and write about it. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

MemhisMachine-

What was that about Sou. Miss. beating KU.

35-28 KU WINS!

Bill Skeet 10 years, 3 months ago

Dynomite & Memphis-- the Jayhawks are indeed playing the powerhouse in college basketball this season....

... every day in practice.

Kevin Long 10 years, 3 months ago

KU62- what a cookie cutter response, You can keep acting like you don't see the truth, but you know you do. Please don't make me go deeper into this!

Henry Salmans 10 years, 3 months ago

I posted this previously on ljworld and when I did a search to follow up I was directed here so I'm reposting what I said there.

"I was extremely impressed by Coach Bill Self's comments and how he is handling the situation. His comments reflect the best of the leadership I experienced as an active duty Marine. I remain proud of KU and am glad of the proactive role Coach Self is taking. I hope the men under his leadership will be inculcated by the values he articulates. There is something to learn from this and perhaps this is an opportunity for students of KU and the professors to discuss several topics to include conflict resolution, racial slurs, exposure on social mediums, etc…"

With Utmost Respect ~ Semper Fi, Hank