Thursday, September 24, 2009

Self starts Boot Camp today

Coach gathers players into gym at 6 a.m.

Bill Self’s Basketball Boot Camp 2009 has started a few days earlier than originally planned.

Self, Kansas University’s seventh-year basketball coach, ordered his Jayhawks into the new hoops practice facility for 6 a.m. conditioning workouts on Thursday.

He informed the Jayhawks of the extra Boot Camp sessions at a team meeting on Wednesday night. That meeting was called in response to incidents between basketball and football players Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

“We have started Boot Camp. We had a semblance of Boot Camp today and will start it officially on Monday,” Self told the Journal-World Thursday afternoon.

Self would not come right out and say the extra Boot Camp sessions were disciplinary measures against his squad. The inference is obviously there, however.

He said they would be back in the gym at 6 a.m. Friday.

Comments

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Never doubt that HCBS is in charge. I don't believe he is G either...

b_asinbeer 10 years, 4 months ago

Bill will kick the G out of all of them. Make them run bleachers/stairs/whatever. Point will get across easily.

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 4 months ago

Hopefully this will teach them a lesson that you have to be held accountable for your actions....especially in a situation like this. And, there are consequences for those actions. Hopefully the guys will get the message that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 4 months ago

First of all, I LOVE this move from Self. He is often chided on the national scene as a great recruiter and program coordinator, but not a great "coach". Baloney. Self knows how to motive his troops.

Of course, the person who deserves this "positive punishment" more than anyone, TYSHAWN TAYLOR, will likely not be a part of this or any of Boot Camp. I'm no doctor, but I think you're supposed to keep a dislocated digit immobilized as much as possible. He might be able to do the elliptical machine or something, but he can do these drills, I imagine.

I hope the message still sinks through to him, though. His teammates are going to pay for his ignorance with blood, sweat and tears. If you don't understand that, you don't deserve to start at the University of Kansas.

K_Easthouse 10 years, 4 months ago

I sincerely doubt anyone will have enough energy to update any Facebook statuses, let along throw a football player down some stairs. HCBS is the Boss.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 4 months ago

That'll keep the ladies off of their minds!

Tribehawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget about Sherron. I don't think his weight will be an issue once Camp is done. Sherron will look like Tyshawn by the end of next week.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

THIS, Is how you deal with this issue.

Have the coaches STEP UP and Become enforcers. Kudos to Mangino yesterday making everyone sit down and Shut up. Kudos to Self bringing the miltary fatrigues and playing field General.

Welcome back General Self, hope this in no way hindered your recrutiing trip.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Crooner - the thumb will be just fine taped up - no bones were broke. In fact, they will probably make sure it weighs a little extra, just to ensure he gets the full benefit.

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn should be held out all of November games for his crap.

McPhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

“I’ve been on the road recruiting a lot and have not had a chance to spend any time with the guys of late,” Self said. “I was able to spend some time with them today.” ha ha, I'll bet they enjoyed their time together

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

Ouch! “I was able to spend some time with them today.”

No translation necessary.

SoCalAlum 10 years, 4 months ago

Not just "some time," I'm sure it was "quality time."

Garry Wright 10 years, 4 months ago

Mangino and Self are in control. They deal with each and every situation as they deem best. I have no doubt that there will NOT be a third situation like the two that just happened. If it did happen again, there'd be some heads that rolled and they wouldn't be the coaches'. I sure wouldn't want to be a part of boot camp this year as a player. Following this boot camp, the best shape our players will have ever been in. And a few mind sets straigthened out! And football practice, the players will get all of the banging they want and then some. When it is all said and done, there will be no doubt as to whom is in charge, M & S.

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

One can assume that the football players won't get a "Bootcamp" experience since they are in the middle of their season....

But they do have a bye next week. Hmmmm.

I'm waiting for the HCMM quote to come out that states "A bye week gives us a chance to work on ourselves. It allows us the opportunity to shore up our game plan while not having to focus on a particular opponent."

Are you thinking what I'm thinking.

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

Correct punctuation would be:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

My bad.

Garry Wright 10 years, 4 months ago

I just noticed that my last post was #1,001,001. Pretty neat number.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 4 months ago

nice job coach! i would hate to be them and with tyshawn sitting out im sure the other players will think twice before going along with something stupid like this.

Steve Brown 10 years, 4 months ago

after daily boot camp they shouldn't have enough energy to walk up stairs much less throw a FB player down the stairs.... . I would put anyone remotely involved on bikes like brandon used during his recovery as symbol they are in mental recovery and put them in middle of court while the rest of team ran till they puked ...food for thought.

This is not what we want to do to get on ESPN.....if we had 6-7-8 guys in coats and ties the first few games fine by me...or..sit them down...have half the team in coats and ties for UCLA a big time national game would make a better point than a sit down for the couple beginning cup cake games....

I trust HCBS to deal with it....and the alumns will support any and all of his disp. actions... no matter how strict they may seem.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

KANSAS JAYHAWK BASKETBALL HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!!!!!!!!

(thank you, to whatever nameless 19 year old girl got this going, but next time could you just call Coach Self and ask him to start practice early instead of starting a brawl on campus? -- I am truly glad you like basketball, maybe you're cooler than I originally thought when I read on ESPN yesterday that 30,000 people were fighting in Lawrence)

100 10 years, 4 months ago

To the Unnamed 19 year old girl:

While you're away from the players (apparently they're running sprints), do you mind calling Sports Illustrated and ESPN & straightening things up?

They would probably pay you some money for the real story of how you started this whole thing with your incredible hotness &, how it makes sense "they wanted to fight" over you, because there is apparently, according to you, no other women on this planet nearly as hot (and smart) as you, nor as good of a cook.

Lastly, do you mind transferring to another school? (I hear Coach Cal in Lexington is looking for an intern to keep track of his multiple Kmart cell phones he uses to text with)

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

This reminds me of the scene from Kubrick's fantastic movie, Full Metal Jacket, whereby the screw up has to stand in the middle of the barracks eating a jelly donut he snuck in while his company of Marines have to do about two hundred push-ups while he is eating it!!.

Gosh, I hope the team doesn't beat the pulp out of Tyshawn with bars of soap stuck in socks while he is sleeping!!!!

"Hell hath no fury than a head coach scorned!"

justanotherfan 10 years, 4 months ago

I've been in a gym for conditioning with an angry coach before. Believe me, it is not a fun place to be. All you hear is the squeak of shoes as you turn and whistles to start the next set.

I'm sure everyone got the message this morning, and will get the message reinforced again tomorrow.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

As a follow-up to 100's good advice to the Unnamed 19 year old hotie...

If you transfer and windup in Louisville, stay out of the Italian restaurants. The basketball stars there are more lecherous than here.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope Tyshawn's girl is forced to transfer.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Jayhawkerjoel,

Excellent point -- also if I was her, I would seriously stay away from the Kentucky Derby -- she's so hot & smart, people might forget to bet -- she could wreck the Louisville economy for a decade!

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

100,

True. But, they always have moonshine and meth to fall back on.

priceiswright 10 years, 4 months ago

I have a feeling the football team will be losing some of the free time they would have gotten with the bye week coming up. Give them hell Mangino!

jayhawkcoach21 10 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Bill Self for starting boot camp early. The basketball team should not be aloud to wear any kansas apparel until they prove that they deserve to be a jayhawk. This has been a disgrace to kansas athletics as well as the students at KU. Self should make the basketball team run sprints in front of wesco in front of the student body. This will teach them a lesson. If they are able to fight by wesco, they sure are able to run sprints!!!

murph 10 years, 4 months ago

I just LOVE it! This way, they won't have the energy to post nonsense anywhere, let alone Facebook. And they certainly won't be up for fighting with football players! It'll take all they have to drag their exhausted bodies back to their room and fall asleep! Brilliant, Coach. Just brilliant.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Football & Basketball teams:

One more thing. I know most of you don't have kids (nor obviously grandkids), but someday, let's face it, you will -- it's the greatest gift we have to give -- the gift of love, the gift of a family, the gift of a caring dad/ grandpa.

Why bring this up? Because someday your children (and grandchildren) will want to learn more about "all the great things" you did.

When they google this information someday, hoping to find triple-doubles or sacks per game or how much you gave your time to charity, the first thing that is going to pop up will be this fight.

It's time for a new day for you guys -- if you get a chance, say something positive to the press. Talk about a lesson learned. Talk about a bad mistake. Talk about how misplaced your energy was yesterday & how happy you are to be able to get it out on the practice field. Talk about how Wilt Chamberlain & James Naismith must be frowning down from heaven today, but perhaps tomorrow will find forgiveness for us all...

Talk about how Gale Sayers, John Hadl, Danny Manning, Clyde Lovellete & Jo Jo White would have never gotten caught up in something like this, and how, if they ever did, it must have been a big grade school mistake that stuck with them forever -- for the eloquence, intelligence, grace & Jayhawkness that exudes from their souls tells us all we need to know -- they are Jayhawk.

And for this, for yesterday, you should apologize -- and though it might seem hard to believe after such a poor display of sportsmanship, I believe you are all a changed group, who have grown stronger.

Just please, for your future family's sake -- don't make this mistake again. They will see (and be able to google) an apology that appears on ESPN, explaining the real situation (that it was a dispute about a girl between two people).

Make all your moves from now on count -- otherwise hang 'em up, go home & meet some hot smart girl at a gas station who knows how to cook at your new pumping job.... Obviously we would prefer you to stay a Jayhawk, although a profoundly changed one.

Right now we all are shocked, but still support you -- we would like a national apology though that clears up ESPN & Sports Illustrated's misunderstanding about "how many" were really involved in the root of the matter -- most of us seem to see quite clearly that it is two people -- they won't take a quote from us, but they will from you...

And your kids can read it someday & become inspired by what a strong person you really are -- a person who uses brilliant words & not fists to solve a problem, saving his might for gameday.

Thanks guys -- and best of luck this year at school.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

KUbelle626 10 years, 4 months ago

Great move by Coach Self. Remind them WHY they are even at KU!!!

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

With all due respect, 100. Didn't Wilt sleep with like, hundreds of women? He's probably looking down from Heaven saying, Damn, she's HOT. Back then, he had notches on his bedpost. If he were young today, he'd have tweets on his Twitter. I'm just sayin'.

KU4LIFE24 10 years, 4 months ago

I am sure the players are getting very familiar with the lines in the new practice facility! Way to go HCBS!

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Phoggin - how dare you disrepect The Big Dipper. It was thousands of women!

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Phoggin,

Did he do anything wrong?

He wasn't married was he?

He was a good man through and through -- a great speaker & a very educated man -- most of us (ladies especially) have "been with" a few more than we want to admit. Wilt was such a big story that his "dates" were more publicized.

If dating is illegal, than I completely agree.

However last I checked it was OK to date in the USA.

He was just better at hitting the walk off game seven HR than most of us -- after all, he is/ was/ always will be...

"WILT!!!"

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 4 months ago

100,

I understand what you're saying and it was a very touching post. I'm not saying that "dating" is illegal. I just don't know if Wilt was the best person to edify in that scenario...especially when making the point about kids/grandkids google-ing his past "accomplishments".

Besides, I've always wanted to post the term "tweets on his Twitter".

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

jayhawkerjoel,

I live in KY and I have to say that their moonshine is pretty good! wouldn't know about the meth though.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Great stuff Jayhawker Joel.

The other point I'll make is this:

Wilt slept with thousands of women, sure.

But after grade school did he ever get in a fight about a girl?

(of course not, because at an early age he realized there were "plenty" to go around).

Heck, if he had a time machine/ be alive again for a day card, yesterday he could've loaned 100 of his groupies to the football team & 15 to the basketball team...

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Phoggin,

I see your point -- "tweets" would be cool if everybody could follow the rules.

I'd be OK with it if they followed the UK Calipari system ((his secretary types everything up so he doesn't say something like, "boy I'm sure glad the NCAA let me go to China so I could keep me and Worldwide Wes away from that meeting, we were sooooo busted!!!!! Work each job like it will be your next job, you Memphis Wilcat fans! Peace out, I've gotta go buy some new untraceable cell phones so I can text some more high school boys you idiot moonshinin' roundball fans~!"))

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

chuck, For what it's worth, I have two of the collectible "Ole Jayhawk" whiskey decanters. You can find them now on eBay. And I have one of the last bottles of Ole Jayhawk bourbon whiskey ever sold - still sealed (late 1980's.) All made in Kentucky.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Dang, I have a bottle of Ole Jayhawk to joel... Let say we meet at the union at 6:30, get lit, beat each other up and see if we get arrested?

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

100, Good advice. I was told over 20 years ago that the content was pretty bad. But, the bottle looks really cool. Maybe a pic should be my new avatar!

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

kuwells, Only if you are G...

Wow, I just realized. The new Gatorade catch phrase, "are you G" takes on a whole new meaning now for me. Bwaaaa hahahaahaha

STLJHawk86 10 years, 4 months ago

If half of what is being reported is true, I sincerely hope (i) Boot Camp is so excruiating painful that everyone on the team pukes repeatedly at each and every session; (ii) in appreciation for being subjected to such conditioning sessions, the non-offending members of the team beat the crap out of TT and any other gangstas on the team: (iii) the basketball team is required to serve as 'water boys' for the remaining home football games (football players will be required to reciprocate during basketball season); and (iv) TT (and any others Self finds to be at fault) are suspended from all games until the end of the first semester.

rockbrooklynchalk 10 years, 4 months ago

I've refrained from posting because this whole absurd situation simultaneously disgusted me yet was seriously overblown by the local and national media. But this story brought a smile to my face.

Bill Self, you are the man. This is the best, and only immediate response a coach could take to this situation. What a great coach.

100 10 years, 4 months ago

Coach Bill Self, I second what rockbrooklynchalk just said --

Too bad you had to be gone the last couple of days -- this would've never happened.

As it is, we only grow stronger...

(P.S. please make that girl transfer)

Fred Davis 10 years, 4 months ago

Here's what you guys are missing - Bill Self is the Real G - the O.G.

Indy or Bust.

theajayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

What are the rules around the boot camps? How many can a coach have and for how many days prior to official start of the season?

rawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

To be fair, I like the aggressiveness, I just wish these bozos would use it on the field and on the court. I hope by the end of the season I'm not still calling them bozos.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

Thursday with a Raw KC Strip on KU's Black Eye:

} This must be one heck of a co-ed! Helen of Lawrence. Does this mean one of the KU teams will be playing USC's Trojans this year? Watch out for any really large, wooden horses being rolled into Allen Field House in order to fool KU and crush it.

} Hey, I was appalled when I first heard this, but then I remembered how stupidly I acted in the autumn of 1973, when the girl I was going to marrry dumped me for another guy. I got drunk and stayed drunk for, what I have been told, was approximately two weeks. I was a disgraceful, self-pitying mess. College romances gone bad are way worse than divorces. Way worse than getting rolled in a parking lot. And I've been through both. College men and women are half-formed minds, undefended hearts, and hormone-soaked, unisex briefs pretending to be grown-ups and it doesn't matter a whit if they play basketball, football, or explore sub atomic particles. Their romances are often just thinly disguised addictions to the first person that will love them and fill the mother, or dad, socket that they have recently left behind to join the faux grown-up world of college. College men think college women will be as forgiving and indulgent as their mothers. College women think college men will be as forgiving and indulgent as their fathers. Enter reality. They are dating naive savages that can read and cipher and run an ipod nano, but that's about it. Neither understands that each has to savage the heart of another in a bloody right of passage to escape the mother and father sockets they think they left behind, but which remain as neural net burns until being savaged by someone from the opposite sex. We are talking extreme brutality here, even when the key parties are reasonably well adjusted. Giving a college girl you heart, before she has already savaged another heart before yours, is kind if like putting your heart out in the center of the Kansas Turnpike at dawn. It is going to get run over and smashed very soon and she's going to have rented a 100 ton dump truck to run over it with.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

And yet everyone has to go through it. And every college student thinks getting a broken heart in high school, or really, really, loving someone is prophylaxis. Wrong! If you're going to college, get ready for someone to hit you in the sternum with a ten pound hammer when you least expect it. Its par for the course. I just hope that the un-named player with the now butchered pumper has as good of a friend as I had, because that was the only way I got through it.

} The teams fighting each other, however is kind of sick. But even that is hardly without precedent. Shakespeare laid it out pretty clearly in Romeo and Juliet. You take any two groups with a lot of authoritarian dynamics and a strong sense of turf and loyalty and this is what you get when young lovers unintentionally connect the hot wire and make it arc from one group to the other.

If this story gets any bigger, I can guaranty you that you are going to see a 21st Century version of Romeo and Juliet filtered through West Side Story. As sad as I am for the player, the girl, her new beau, the teams and the school, this would make a fabulous script for updating a timeless story.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 4 months ago

jaybate-

Sorry you couldn't claim the title of the 1,000,000 comment author. I hear they may have a contest for the first to post one million words in one thread. I've been looking for the line on that contest. You are the odds on favorite when (if) that contest goes up.

Was the girls's name really Maria that they were fighting over?

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

jaybate:

How did Romeo and Juliet end??? How do you update that!

How is it that I think this could be solved with BBQ (even that blasted Memphis style!) and Ashley Judd?

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 4 months ago

wells,

I just heard that the whole "melee" ( as our newspaper described it) was a delayed reaction to the Great BBQ Debate we had a week ago.

One dude was like.."Yo man, the sauce at Bryants is da bomb". And the other dude was all.."Yo mama!" and it was on!

Tyshawn was actually trying to offer a guy a rib when he injured his thumb. At least that's what I think I heard.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

memhawk:

Damn, we are responsible? And momma never thought I would amount to anything.

I think some guy was ribbing Tyshawn and he offered him a knuckle sandwich. Lets get the LJW on it to see if it was BBQ or not. (mem, that was clever...)

On a serious note. The first event was quoted by the KU rent-a-cops as having 100 participants. How many you gotta have to call it a melee?

TIme for sleep. This crap has kept me up too late 2 nights in a row.

VegasJhawk09 10 years, 4 months ago

OH yah the early boot camp session was punishment.
No doubt in my mind. Tyshawn can run just fine, right along with all the other guys.
Anyone remember Full Metal Jacket? The Boot Camp scene? Thats what this is people. Although not quite as intense.Im sure coach giving those guys major hell right, bet he made a couple of them puke too.
If you have problems in the ranks, this is how you squash it the Freek out!

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 4 months ago

"The basketball team should not be aloud to wear any kansas apparel until they prove that they deserve to be a jayhawk."

I like that idea. Show up for boot camp, bring your own shorts and shirts.

KansaKid 10 years, 4 months ago

Not all our team is deserving of punishment for a few. Let us all hope they mesh as a team early on. Then also keep it going all year.