Thursday, September 24, 2009

Keegan

Kansas playing dodgeball

As if athletic director Lew Perkins didn’t have enough things bumming him out Wednesday, he just had to know his archenemy, T-shirt creator Larry Sinks of Joe College, was busy at work cashing in on his misery.

Sure enough, Sinks, a marketing genius, already had come up with a blue and white T-shirt sure to be a big seller. On the front, in block lettering: “HAWK FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL.” On the back, in cursive: “Can’t We All Just Get Along?”

Funny, but not nearly the funniest thing printed Wednesday in Lawrence. That came hours later, when the athletic department issued a “statement,” from six student-athletes, the captains from the football and basketball teams. The “statement” did not explain just how these six young men came up with the exact same words to say simultaneously, so we’ll assume it was just a remarkable coincidence.

A request for an interview of Tyshawn Taylor was not granted. The basketball players were shielded from interviews. Is Taylor sorry about throwing a punch that resulted in a dislocated thumb? Or is he proud? On his Facebook page he indicated it was no big deal, just something the newspaper was blowing out of proportion. Wednesday afternoon, as he passed a few media members, he glared at them, hardly looking contrite.

Nobody from the KU athletic department stepped in front of a TV camera to apologize for athletes embarrassing the entire university and by extension the entire state of Kansas. Something this serious called for either Perkins or the new chancellor, Bernadette Gray-Little, to serve as face of the university. Perkins’ statement said he was taking this “seriously.” The chancellor issued an impressive statement in a release, other than the part about calling the statement from the teams’ leaders “strong.” Lame would have been a better word, since one statement had six names on it. It would have been so much more powerful had Perkins or Gray-Little taken questions from the media in a live press conference. If that doesn’t happen soon, this story lingers. Here’s guessing the chancellor doesn’t want that.

Nobody stepped in front of a TV camera to share his or her revulsion over the words Taylor used on his Facebook page. All the student-athletes, by the way, are told every year to avoid putting anything on their Facebook pages they wouldn’t want to read or see on the Internet message boards and in newspapers. Some listen. Some don’t. Taylor didn’t fear discipline from his coaches when he wrote disgusting words, some apparently from garbage lyrics, on his page. Time for the basketball staff to crack down on the players’ use of social media, lest the public find out what some of them are really like.

The fact there was a fight between football and basketball players Tuesday night that was reported on and another broke out Wednesday shows the players responsible don’t appear afraid of consequences.

KU football coach Mark Mangino has shown time and time again he doesn’t care how much talent a player has when doling out suspensions (Aqib Talib, Dezmon Briscoe). Can the same be said of basketball coach Bill Self? Not if Taylor doesn’t get suspended.

Comments

hometownhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

You can still condemn it if you want, but you should provide full disclosure that the "words Taylor used on his Facebook page" were lyrics from a Lil Wayne song. Other than, of course, the ones indicating that his injury was from throwing a punch. So your beef with the words he used should partly be with the rap music culture, because that's their origin.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 4 months ago

Get over it Keegan. Let it go. Quit trying to make it more than it is. Something you can be in the middle of. Maybe a 'national story'... you'd love that crap. As Luke would have said: Quit beatin' it to death.

murph 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't care where Tyshawn got his lyrics - he still posted them in a VERY public place and signed his name. He showed himself to be an immature fool.

Besides, ALL the words on that Facebook page weren't from songs.

I'm still trying to figure out how Cole, Kerry and Todd in particular got drug into making that "statement". (Don't know whether the other two football players were involved or not, so I won't comment on them.) None of those three were involved in the mess - they all have better sense! (What's YOUR excuse, Brady??) Sherron, on the other hand, should have a LOT of 'splainin' to do. He's a senior. He's been in trouble before. He's a FATHER, for goodness sake!! He should have had to write it in blood - his own!

Someone said it beautifully earlier today - can you imagine Jacque Vaughn doing any of this? Or Wayne Simien? Not hardly!

There absolutely should be suspensions for this. Tyshawn needs to sit - for several games. Sherron probably does, too. As for the Morris twins - what a waste of space THEY are. This is Strike 2, and I'm not much inclined to wait for Strike 3. I don't care if they can play basketball or not - although they haven't shown it much yet. I don't care if we lose games over it. Well, let me rephrase. I DO care if we lose games because boys were behaving like babies, but the point needs to be made. This HAS to stop.

When times are this hard all over the country, these coddled, spoiled brats acting up like this is just utterly disgusting.

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen. It seems like KU should mean something completely different. Hopefully HCBS, HCMM and TT will use the spotlight to address gender-based issues such as these, and not just sweep it under the astro turf.

kugrad2009 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan. I'm sure today was great for you. You let off some steam about KU athletics on Kietsman's show. Hardly admirable. There is plenty more that could be said about everything you have written this past year. Your column yesterday was comical and juvenile and your column earlier in the year about revising women's basketball rules to your liking was sexist, immature, and ill-thought-out (that's right, my username is KuGrad2009, I'm calling you immature and sexist).

A close third was your column going after Duke because coach "K" is part of that university. Coach K is a product of Bobby Knight and West Point and will go down as the most successful coach of the modern era -- and this is coming from a diehard KU fan. What do you fill your column space about a non-conference football game? A column condemning a great basketball coach because of your personal bias.

Next time you go to local restaurants with your wife you should stop complaining publicly around many people about your hatred for LJ-World online commenters and KU students and their newspaper.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 4 months ago

Thank you Keegan!!!

I think KU is dodging things big time... I just responded to the article on Bill Self responding to the 'feud', and will say the same thing here - the character of some of these athletes is pathetic, and especially how they obviously could care less.

And now it certainly appears that too much is tolerated because no one wants to rock the boat. When an athlete on scholarship admits to throwing punches and puts words on his facebook that we've all now read, is there anything else needed to justify a suspension?

kujayhawk7476 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure the chancellor, athletic director, and the coaches consider this a serious matter and are dealing with it appropriately. The meetings and statement proved that to me. Standing in front of a tv camera and reiterating what they have already said is not necessary. Not everyone, other than media memebrs, think issues such as these must be played out in the newspapers and on the radio. One afternoon sports radio talk show host in KC was salivating almost as much as you yesterday afternoon, Tom. Move along, the situation is being handled.

Robert Brock 10 years, 4 months ago

I agree with murph. There are going to be suspensions. I hope that the suspensions are significant enough for the players to take notice. Even if it means losing games...

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan....This is not Watergate and you are no where near Woodward or Bernstein! Let the coaches and the AD deal with this. You need to go back to just reporting KU football and the upcoming basketball season!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

My favorite line in this awesome article that inspires me to not read keegan's remarks:

"Wednesday afternoon, as he passed a few media members, he glared at them, hardly looking contrite"

Get a grip.

slantrox 10 years, 4 months ago

Right along with Keegan's story there are two articles from Self and Mangino and a video of Mangino. Keegan needs to learn a little timing goes along way in publishing a bashing article. I guess the 24 hour news cycle isn't enough for him. All I really read in this article was blah, blah, blah. Can we put Keegan and Mayer both in the same pasture please and take away their keyboards?!

Timmay97 10 years, 4 months ago

Oh darn! Tyshawn Taylor might get suspended. I hope we can find someone to take his spot.....how are we gonna live throughout this basketball season without him (Pure Sarcasm if you didn't get that).

Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed, Elijah Johnson and C.J. Henry should give Tyshawn plenty of reason to stay out of trouble. Is this kid really that dumb? I don't care who started it, I don't care how he was involved......is it worth jeapordizing your career and rep?

All I can say is this is unfathomable. Absolutely immature!

longhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Right, Keegan. Coach Self doesn't have the guts to send out suspensions and dismissals when he feels they are appropriate.

Sincerely,

Jeff Hawkins Chester Giles, Jr. JR Giddens

Aligned 10 years, 4 months ago

njjayhawk:

I was about to post a similar statement until I noticed that you covered about everything I wanted to say. Well done.

And Murph:

Where do you get off passing judgement on the Morris twins by calling them a "waste of space"? I doubt that you even know them. Hateful comments like that create far bigger problems than the one currently at hand.

HAWKTOPIA 10 years, 4 months ago

Hey Hey Hey Colonel Keegan, while these young men may represent the focus of your day job, they are prone to error every once in a while. Look in the mirror, you mention a Taylor facial expression towards the media, and then call for his suspension. "Hello, anyone home!" Some things are best left unsaid, and that is the category this article is in. As a purveyor of KU lore, you should show some professional restraint. Step Back, take a deep breath, and let the games begin!

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

This is a column, not an article folks ...

Fact is fact:

Tyshawn Taylor, a recent gold medal recipient, threw a punch and then posted something moronic on facebook.

As someone else pointed out - this is the second publically idiotic thing that the Morris Twins have done.

I am not saying that any football players are absolved of blame, but the known facts haven't said anything about them ... yet.

Suspensions should be served, but I'm not in favor of expulsions because I think the University and the Athletic Department have an obligation and a responsibility to help these young men deal with their issues.

rcjh88 10 years, 4 months ago

NO ONE should be suspended. Some of you act like you have never seen 18-22 year old men, or women for that matter, get into a fight. Who cares!!! No charges were even filed. We have had a number of former student athletes who have had warrents or been in court for different things in the past and most of you here were defending them. Now you want suspensions from this? It makes no sense! I mean I am a little embarrassed by the whole situation but I trust that the coaches will make sure and remind them by whatever punishment they see fit that they are representing more than just themselves by playing for KU.

Aligned 10 years, 4 months ago

Reporting on it is a little tacky too.

celestep1 10 years, 4 months ago

The fights among these very young men were embarassing. But even more embarassing is the excitement being demonstrated by grown men such as Tom Keegan, who hopes he may get his fifteen minutes of national fame if he does a good enough job of blowing it way out of proportion. His barely concealed salivation on the airways Tuesday when he talked to Kevin Keitzman was only matched by Keitzman's own glee at the potential for trouble at KU. Can we get another columnist for the LJW who won't lower himself with these shameless ploys for personal notoriety? I am so done reading Keegan's columns.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 4 months ago

from other articles here in KC, it sounds like this has been going on for awhile. and a woman is involved. and we had Tyshawn hurting himself when he tried to punch someone (that's embarrassing in and of itself.)

and what of the Morris twins? do we have direct evidence that one of them threw the player down the stairs? and who was that football player? what football player wants to admit that a bball player threw him down some stairs?

this is all embarrassing and childish' but it probably doesn't merit suspensions. i'm sure Mr. Taylor will be counseled heavily on his facebook post. the players just need to truce it.

and Keegan's demanding of a press conference yesterday...what a joke! what's the questions and answers going to be like: "Mrs Chancellor, do you know the woman involved?"
"Yes, she is a fine student, and attractive....i see why the boys would be feuding over her." "what, if any, punishments will be handed out?"

"we're going to have a charity all star game, where the teams will play basketball and football vs each other. Sherron will get to play WR, and Conner Teahen will be QB. they'll wear full pads and there will be no rules on how anyone gets hit. in basketball, fouls will not be called, and the twins will not be allowed to foul."

good grief....

shootitrush 10 years, 4 months ago

I love it how everyone on here are calling for suspensions. These are 19 yr-old kids and because they play basketball they are supposed to be perfect and not have any problems in college. Get real folks, and Keegen why would tyshawn want to talk to you, you have plastered him in the paper. The people on the Morris twins back, what exactly did the twins do this time besides standing there having tyshawns back I haven't heard that they threw a punch or anything. So again folks came the down.

kranny 10 years, 4 months ago

I'd say let those involved handle it and reserve judgment because I'm sure Coach Self and Coach Mangino got the full story and will handle it properly- not Keegan or the media, not Perkins or the posters on this board. Let the coaches handle it, live with it and move on. These are college kids with a multitude of backgrounds and they are not perfect-that doesn't condone their actions but it doesn't mean persecution either.

rtyoungku 10 years, 4 months ago

Poor Tom. The only reason you are so adamant about someone stepping in front of a camera is so you don't have to put any work into getting quotes. All you do is complain about how hard it is being a member of the media and how no one gives you information. We all know what this is really about. You are like the 6 year old whose mommy doesn't give him what he wants, so he throws a fit. You aren't given as much access, especially to the football program, so this is your "mature" way of retaliating.

Get off your high horse and report facts, not insinuations.

dillustration 10 years, 4 months ago

"keegan appears to be let down he didn't get an interview. Sounds like a few paragraphs of blahs and whines to me."

• 1

kufootball 10 years, 4 months ago

When did the LJ-World hire Jason Witlock? People read these articles for news, not for you to pass judgement on 18-20 year old kids.

Being a former player I understand the spotlight you are under at KU. I also know it is a privilege to play at KU. I also understand "the family" atmosphere that is developed when you spend every waking moment with your teammates. Granted they made a mistake. It was handled with, and now it is over. Maybe you should write for "PARENTS" magazine on appropriate ways to discipline children. HCMM and HCBS are the father figures of their respective squads with Lew being the godfather. They'll handle it appropriately.

Lastly, this isn't the first time the media has blown something out of proportion. I would hope every player at KU reads your article, and never gives you the time of day. You aren't entitled to interview these kids. You need to realize it is a privilege to cover sports for KU and these players have enough to worry about. The last thing is some old guy passing judgement on them, they get it enough from their teammates and coaches.

KUFan90 10 years, 4 months ago

I have to dogpile here as well. Demands for a press conference on this to satisfy the media are ridiculous. No one owes the media anything. Tyshawn doesn't owe you an interview, and has the right to glare at you when he walks by. Talk about immature, how about a grown man retaliating in the media against a student athlete because they looked at you wrong and refused an interview??

And then this cheap shot "Time for the basketball staff to crack down on the players’ use of social media, lest the public find out what some of them are really like." Hmmm you are obviously talking about Tyshawn here...and we all get the implications made with this statement.

I normally like your articles but this one was a big miss.

jhawkshocker 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't need a press conference. But, I will make a few comments....... I have 3 sons, 1 of them a freshman at KU. Whenever any of my sons has one of those "normal young man situations", I always ask them...."When you found yourself in this situation, did it cross your mind who would be paying for any problems?" Once my sons realized I was not going to pay any fines or any other cost associated with their "normal young man situations", it tended to decrease their bad decisions. So, I ask this...to Mr. Taylor.......when you threw that punch, did you think about who was going to pay for any damages you caused? In other words......when you went to the hospital, who did you list as the responsible financial party? I'm sure somewhere in that hospital there is a clerk sitting at a desk getting ready to mail a billing for your treatment at the hospital.......who's that bill going to?

KUbsee69 10 years, 4 months ago

Would the university suspend anyone if an engineering student got into a fight with a liberal arts major? Does celebrity hold one to higher discipline? We usually see just the opposite with media and political celebrities.

The media always sensationalizes to "sell" their stuff. And as we all know, media writers, along with some of the posters on here, are always way above the rest of us when it comes to ethics and morals. Yeah, right! I roomed with a UDK reporter during my student days at KU and boy could I tell you some stories.

Let's just drop this. Lew and the coaches will handle it.

PenguinHawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Tom, I really have to question why you're still reporting on KU sports at this point. I don't want some homer as the beat writer for the 'Hawks, but neither do I want someone with the level of underlying animosity you seem to possess. You gleefully throw players under the bus in this article while calling for harsher penalties than some MU fans I know. Yesterday you went on Kietzman's show and helped him pile on, nebulously throwing out statements you couldn't confirm. Now you're judging KU players based on their body language toward you and fellow media members. Any shred of journalistic integrity and objectivity you ever held is obviously gone. Maybe it's time for you to cover politics for a cable news network. That way you can base your statements on personal vendettas and conjecture and blend right in.

Tamaralaug 10 years, 4 months ago

I have only seen one comment on the new t-shirt that Joe College is putting out. I will not mention him by name but he has sunk to a new low. I know that most of his shirts are funny - I even own one. But this is going too far. Why try to make a buck off an embarrassing moment for KU? And what true KU fan would wear a shirt like that? I don’t fine any humor in the situation at all. It is a black eye for KU and our sports programs. I can tell you that I will never, ever buy another shirt from him again. And if I see anyone wearing that shirt, I will know that he/she is not a true fan!

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

(racial slur)'s be muggin'. They don't be paying no hospital bills. And that be pointplankn' aite?

I have no idea what I just said. Hopefully TT understands it though.....

Brandon Deines 10 years, 4 months ago

You know what else can be summed up with "BlahBlahBlah?" Almost everything Keegan has written or said the last two days. I hope you realize what a buffoon you sounded like on Kietzman's show yesterday. I couldn't listen to the entire interview because it made my brain hurt, but were you honestly advocating Lew Perkins bring in the Douglas County Sherriff for a Scared Straight session? "Let me tell you what Bubba likes to do to his cellmates." You lost all credibility on this matter when you suggested using fear of prison rape and/or beatings as a solution to this matter. Not to mention how ludicrous it was that you were supporting your outrage by positing the hypothetical of someone getting hurt and then hypothetically brining charges against the players and then hypothetically enragin the entire student body by bringing down a player. Give it up, Keegan.

husbus 10 years, 4 months ago

why should taylor be singled out for a suspension keegan? because he was injured & put some lil wayne lyrics on his facebook? give me a break. you should stick to writing stories, that continue to be boring, & let self do the disciplining.

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan,

Lock it up! It was the media outlets that blew this out of proportion... your posting of it on this website in particular. Since you blew it up, I believe the written statements suffice to calm it down. If they get up and start making public appearences then it will linger. To keep it hushed and in house will cause it to go away.

Except that is, by irresponsible journalists. This is KUSports.com, stop trying to make a bad situation at the University of Kansas worse. You blow up bad situations to get more traffic, yet Stucky was named to an outstanding award and it slides by the wayside because of how much press you are giving this situation.

Do you know exactly what happened? Taylor threw a punch, do you know why? No? Was it self defense? Was it Assault? Who else threw a punch during that exchange? You don't know? Then why would you suspend a player without having all the facts. As HCBS has stated, he needs to know the absolute truth before suspending a player. Any other discipline will be handled without suspension.

How did 6 players get the exact same words? Seriously man? Stop and think about it! The obvious answer is they worked together to be on the same page with their statement. I suppose that is beyond your intellectual level of comprehension demonstrated by the tact taken in this article.

How do you suggest the removal of an irresponsible article (Aligned said it well... "Tacky")?

Jonathan Kealing,

Care to take a stab at removing this (the story) from the website?

Phillbert 10 years, 4 months ago

Somebody call the Pulitzer committee, 'ol Keegan has a scoop!

Jason Spangler 10 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't Jacques Crawford kicked off the team?

What about John Randle?

Giddens?

I know there have been many more but those are the most recent high profile athletes that I can think of that didn't finish their time here due to off the field issues.

As far as I know J.R. Giddens is in the NBA right now.

This issue is dead. It was a fight. Get over it, happens all the time. Quit trying to build up your own name please, THAT'S what's been truly embarrassing about this incident.

edwinga 10 years, 4 months ago

"as he passed a few media members, he glared at them, hardly looking contrite."

Tom Keegan, Master reader of facial expressions.

TrueBlue92 10 years, 4 months ago

Yesterday provoked a long and interesting conversation at my house about social networking websites, the media, and if Journalists should use Twitter posts as "facts" backing up a story.

It was a great conversation and I recommended having a similar conversation with kids/friends. I learned something from it for sure.

IBRONNIEB 10 years, 4 months ago

This is all so childish, but they are still 18 to 21 years old. You know Keegan, I used to give you a pass on some of your, misguided ideas, and self centered quotes. I thought some of the posts people made on here were too rude, and you did'nt deserve some of the wrath you received. But the more I read the less I feel like defending you. Yes these athletes represent KU. Yes what happened was childish. Yes this all should be handled inhouse! Take a tip from the police, you were not there. You don't know the whole truth. I think the coaches are perfectly able to handle this siuation, with their own players. You on the other hand, might be better off writing a self help book. You seem to know all the answers. Maybe you do crave national attention, get it some other way.

JayDocMD 10 years, 4 months ago

nice post and good point longhawk. very funny edwinga - my thought exactly.

I am most embarrassed by TT's FB posts and thew fact that it happened twice, but I do not doubt HCBS and his ability to put his house back in order. BTW, VERY bad timing to do this so close to bootcamp.

gamblinggringo 10 years, 4 months ago

Oregon suspended their boy for the season for throwing a punch. Taylor, bragging about his punch on Facebook afterward, should be suspended a season, as well.

JayDocMD 10 years, 4 months ago

(meaning the players only thought last years bootcamp was tough... guessing its cakewalk compared to this year.)

Beak 10 years, 4 months ago

For all the unrespective KU fans (mostly student section) who prefer to yell "tear his f------ head off" on kickoffs, our unrespective football and basketball teams just offered you food for thought.

63Jayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan, please stop trying to make this incident bigger than it is. Why stoke the fire? I'm confident that Bill, Mark, and Lew will handle the matter appropriately. Let them!

TrueBlue92 10 years, 4 months ago

gamblinggringo:

I agree with your sentiments but since it was not "in the field of play" I'm not sure the University can go there. But it is completely the same; excellent point.

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 4 months ago

BREAKING NEWS

A credible source has stated that Tom Keegan provoked the fight between the Basketball and Football teams. It is believed that Keegan suffers from "Hero Syndrome" in which he initiates news just so he can cover it.

The psychology of such acts is traced back to prior failures. Reviewing Keegans history on KUsports.com, it is apparent that he needed to be seen as the "Hero" in reporting this story.

Seek help Keegan! We do not want to see anymore people getting hurt for your glory hounding!

suttonku 10 years, 4 months ago

going back to Murph at the top of the page,

We don't know all of the details of the situation...We don't know that Sherron did anything in this situation...The only player that we know did anything is Tyshwan...Don't bag on Sherron just because he was there, he may not have been doing anything...If one of my teammates was having problems with the football team I would be there to support him and try and ease the situation...We will never hear the truth about what happened and I think people need to stop speculating...Putting music lyrics on his facebook page was stupid of Tyshawn and it did make him look bad and for punching a guy that was stupid too but dont put the rest of the team or Sherron in with him because we don't know how involved or not involved the other players were.

gthejayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen njjayhawk!!!
Tom, you are pathedic! What a sad excuse for a "journalist". A majority of your articles aren't worth the effort it takes to read them, but this one takes the cake! You write as if you are more knowledgable than the coaches/AD that are running the respective programs. Nothing worse than an arm chair quarterback critiquing the actions/performance of others while he is using a playbook titled, "Ignorant".

RossChalk 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan- You have made your living directly off the hard work and effort of the Kansas sports teams. More specifically - the individual players and coaches are the reason you have a job in Lawrence. Go write editorials in Topeka or Salina - and see who cares. You love your sweet little deal you have with the LJW. You have unlimited access to high profile divison one programs that you can use to write books that you (not the kids) benefit from. So when a situation like this arises - you go on radio show and act like a Mr. Know-It-All whistleblower - ridiculous! Before you start asking to pull scholarships from kids for a fist fight - maybe you should remember who really pays the bills in Lawrence. (Hint: It's not you) Go eat a sandwich - and continue gravy training off of other people's accomplishments.

speckleddog 10 years, 4 months ago

Tom, Before we schedule the crucifixion, why don't we find out what really happened. Mark Mangino didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal when interviewed about the incident. These are young boys, for the most part. Why would we be shocked when the act like college aged kids.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan is absolutely correct.

You can all criticize him as much as you want, but in the end, you know he's right.

One scuffle between these two programs isn't a big deal. But a repetitious tift is completely absurd. Someone posted earlier on this wall calling this kids spoiled brats, and that hits the nail right on the head.

BE FANS BUT BE OBJECTIVE. This was a ridiculous incident that deeply affects the reputation of the university. These kids have essentially had their lives handed to them on a silver platter, and they want to not only jeopardize that, but show complete disrespect to the educational institution that has given them everything.

Mangino and Self should both exercise disciplinary action that does include suspension. As stated earlier, you wouldn't have seen Jacque Vaughn or Wayne Simien get caught in this kind of crap. Whereas I know this is a different time with different players, and everyone is an individual case, there's still no excuse for it.

Mangino has been tough with discipline. He doesn't care if you're a third stringer or a Heisman candidate...he'll sit your butt on the sidelines. Roy Williams would pull his entire all-star starting line-up and play scrubs if they were playing like jerks.

We value our programs as classy, model-worthy institutions. Now we're getting labelled as thugs. Does the media embelish? Absolutely. But stupid actions merit exaggerated responses. This was completely avoidable.

For all you nay-saying Keegan's words, take a good hard look at why you're a KU fan in the first place. These "fights" should anger you.

I would get into the Morris twins, but I don't have time. Even if I had it, they're not worth my time.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

And in case you didn't know, Keegan has backed KU through thick and thin. He's made what some would consider outrageously KU-biased comments.

But even he is allowed to vent on what he views as an inexcusable event.

pbowman2 10 years, 4 months ago

Kill the Messenger!!!! That's the theme of many of the posters. They don't like the news because it puts KU in a bad light. Never mind that its true. They just don't want to hear it. It is time they grow up and quit acting like the fools some of these so-called student-athletes are acting. KU is supposed to be an educational institution. Conduct of people like Taylor is embarassing to the institution. Everyone knows it. Quit acting like it isn't. We need to remove the instigators from our school and get on with its mission--education. Do I love KU football and basketball? Hell yes, but not to the point of damaging KU's reputation. I'd rather it go winless in both sports than give in to these thugs and their actions.

And while I'm on my soapbox, here's another beef. Perkins' use of Sayers to shill for his new fatcat luxury boxes was outrageous. Ha he no shame? Poor Gale, totally unequipped for the task, was unable to articulate the message. The folks in my section were so sorry for him they had to look away. And by the way, when will any of the millions of dollars the school receives from athletics be used to fix the pathetic condition of the restrooms in the upper level of the stadium?

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 4 months ago

Tom, I listened to you on 810 yesterday and I could not believe what was spewing out of your mouth. Demanding that punishments be handed out for actions that you will never hear about is absolutely ridiculous. Just because Mangino and Self are not running to you with info does not mean that nothing is being done. You are searching for a story that may never be told...

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

suttonku:

We do know this: Sherron was whisked away in an AD van. Why? If he's innocent, why would the KUAC need to send a van to come and run him away from the scene?

Same thing with that Elijah kid: why pull your hoodie over your head if you're innocent?

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen, bowman.

As KU fans we have a right to stand on the soapbox by the way.

We should also demand as much from the character of these players as their talent. And I've said it before. I'd rather have par seasons than stellar if it means we preserve our dignity.

Quit trying to cover it up. Like I said, by all means be fans...but be objective. Stop pretending that it wasn't a big deal, especially when our reputation is at stake.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

And jeffthejayhawk,

They issued a joint statement from team captains. That's a pathetic and transparent attempt at a cover-up.

That's what we know. The KU Athletic Department needs to act on this now. And we've been dancing around it. From a public relations standpoint, their resolve is disappointing.

jspawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan - "It was four paragraphs and could be summed up in four words: Blah, blah, blah, blah."

Well I have news for you Keegan...your article is nine paragraphs and can be summed up in nine words: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and finally BLAH!!!

Keep truckin'

jspawk 10 years, 4 months ago

How do you punish your players when your out of town? I'm sure the coaches are getting to the bottom of this and will be handing out discipline accordingly.

I think we should hold a rally for the football team and basketball team out in front of the Burge Union at 11:00 PM tonight and let the words of John Lennon ring loudly from fans, fellow students and faculty. "All we are saying, is give peace a chance!" They may be playing for KU now, but I've been a KU fan since the day I was born...seriously I came out waving the wheat! SPREAD THE WORD: TONIGHT 11:00 PM BURGE UNION "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE AND WIN THE BIG 12 AND NATIONAL TITLE IN BOTH FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL!!!"

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 4 months ago

Rooster, the KU athletics department owes you nor I anything. If they want to issue a statement and punish the athletes in question internally, so be it. Remember, there is no information out there other than a Facebook page and a couple of student accounts so to demand actions when you do not really know anything is absurd. If the real story ever breaks then you might have a beef, but until that happens you have to trust Self and Mangino to do the right thing...and they do not have to include you or Keegan with the details.

HAWKTOPIA 10 years, 4 months ago

Let's all try some decaf. It's not about being right, it's about being nice. right Tyshawn?

KUbsee69 10 years, 4 months ago

Rooster said:

"As KU fans we have a right to stand on the soapbox by the way."

You are correct. And, also, as an American you have the right to be wrong, which I believe your posts are.

Rivethead: In the videos and photo gallery, it looked to me like the majority of the BB team was there and "whisked away" ... not just the couple of players you mentioned. One interviewed witness said that the BB team quickly left because it looked like they did not want to get into another fight. Leaving does not equate with guilt.

Get over it.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

You're right, jeff. They don't "owe" me or Keegan anything. But they have a responsibility to the university. And part of the responsibility is to preserve and defend its reputation.

And to be honest...I DO know something is absurd. Two teams, of the same university, are getting into multiple brawls on campus. Regardless of the reasons behind it; regardless of the sources; we know it happened. And regardless of who's to blame on either side, it doesn't look good for us.

All I'm saying is I haven't seen suitable damage control as of yet. That could change in a couple of days, but as of right now, the AD is letting this thing run wild.

And Keegan, pal, isn't the only one who is forming opinions. Sports Illustrated as claimed it ironic that KU fans were referring to Memphis as thugs when we played them in 2008. Ironic, I believe is what they're getting at.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

They fought 3 times in 14 hours. The third fight happened after reports of the first fight were all over the newspapers. After Tyshawn Taylor injured himself, went to the hospital, and posted thug-life crap all over his Facebook page.

If it was just the one altercation, it wouldn't be a big deal. It was three. One was at 10 a.m. in the middle of campus after word of their riff was already in the media.

Obviously, throwing down a third time was more important to them than starting to repair their damaged reputation.

KU downplayed it because they downplay everything. Why do they insult your intelligence like that? Because they can, and the fans fall for it every time.

Nice article Keegan. Most KU fans obviously want you to be a part of Lew's everything-is-OK-heres-a-prepared-statement army, but it doesn't take a lot to see right through it. You just have to look.

Adam Evans 10 years, 4 months ago

In regards to the words on TTs facebook, it does not matter what their origins are. Taylor used them, and in effect, they are now his words. He applied them to the situation and they became his. Also, this whole thing is shameful. The University of Kansas has always held itself to a higher standard; a more mature code of conduct. Right now, our athletics department is looking more like a juvenile detention center full of thugs. This behavior is befitting schools like Miami (Fl), Memphis, and Missouri. This is not how KU deals with things and it is shameful. It is tarnishing the reputation we have as a program, they have as players, and our school has. Each and every person involved should be suspended. I'm not talking one game. I think Taylor should be suspended for the non-conference schedule. Tyshawn and the rest: You have brought shame to the name of the University of Kansas and the Jayhawk. If you cannot come to terms with this behavior, man up and deal with it, then you do not deserve to wear the crimson and blue. I'd rather be preseaeson #25 with all players on my team being class acts than preseason #1 with even one player who is not.

Brad Richardson 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan needs to do a better job of covering the great things that are happening in our football program and stop beating this dead horse. This community loves success but doesn't want some of the "side effects" that bringing in a talented and diverese group of athletes sometimes includes. Go work on your crummy dialogue for "The Edge" and shut up Tom.

kugrad93 10 years, 4 months ago

You guys piling on Keegan are pathetic. You're going to be busy writing USA Today, Sports Illustrated and every media outlet that covers the Big 12 if you want to complain to every journalist who think KU has handled this poorly. SI is writing about the basketball team's "perp walk" yesterday. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/luke_winn/09/23/Kansas.Taylor/ CBS called the Jayhawks "foolish." http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12253580 Yes, this is all clearly Keegan's fault. Maybe you should check out the KC Star story that says this stuff has been going on for YEARS. http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1465551.html Posters here are saying, it's OK because Self, Mangino and Perkins will handle it. Really? Why did they let it get to this point? A football player said in one of the stories there was a fist fight between players last year at the Hawk. Now we have three incidents in 24 hours, and Mangino says there's no need for discipline. Apparently, it's all the basketball team's fault. Hopefully, Self will have a better response. This is embarrassing. It's a national story that could hurt recruiting, enrollment and donations. Read some of the comments on the UDK site from students who went runnign into other buildings because they were concerned for their own safety and from alums who are ashamed by this. And if you want to point fingers, don't blame the media. This has been going on for years, and it's going to continue if players don't have consequences for their actions. The saddest part of this, to me, isn't the horrible actions of the athletes but the lack of action by the coaches and AD.

ninjajhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Did everyone drink a big bucket of crazy this morning? Suspend players? We've got another championship to win - or is a little Jerry Springer tiff between a couple 18 to 22 year-olds enough of a reason to jeopardize that? It's not like anyone got really hurt, it's not like they were spreading violence and the swine flu at the same time, so can we relax with these righteous opinions concerning the character and social immaturity of KU athletes? Of course I'm disappointed and these fights do anger me as a fan. But what I expect out of these players is passion, and I am capable of understanding that sometimes that type of passion can be dangerous. Yes, I do believe there should be repercussions for the guilty parties involved, but honestly, I refuse to sit back and pass judgment on their character because after a little instigating, antagonizing and maybe a bad day, a couple of them lost their heads. To those of you worried about image, who feel so "embarrassed and ashamed" - get a grip, this insignificant (and soon to be forgotten, assuming Keegan stops lusting after it) incident pales in comparison to the laundry list of Kansas' embarrassments. Of course I wish KU only ever made headlines because of national championships and uncontrollable awesomeness, but you know, I also wish I had a pet unicorn and the ability to fly - some wishes come true, some don't. That being said - Rock Chalk, Move On.

Adam Evans 10 years, 4 months ago

Championship be damned. Being a classy team is more important than another banner. This behavior is not that of a champion.

kugrad93 10 years, 4 months ago

Um, actually Taylor got hurt. Someone else got thrown down a flight of stairs. I guess we should wait until someone gets seriously injured, maybe an innocent bystander, and then take action.

John Boyle 10 years, 4 months ago

The account I got from a student that was there when the Morris twin "threw" a football player down the stairs was actually that the football player charged at him and he shoved him and he stumbled back 5 of 6 steps. But I like "threw" better, makes for more sensationalism and a better story.

Adam Evans 10 years, 4 months ago

Point well made kugrad. These guys don't care about the here and now. They don't care about how their behavior is effecting everyone else around them. And someone gets hurt and misses games, oh well right? Who cares right? But for heaven's sake, don't suspend them....

kugrad93 10 years, 4 months ago

You would hope the basketball team could prevail over Fort Hays, Pitt State and Hofstra without a full squad, and a message could still be sent.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 4 months ago

JayhawkJohn,

"Threw" was the original report. Keegan didn't pull that out of thin air.

I read that from three sources before reading this article.

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

"Posters here are saying, it's OK because Self, Mangino and Perkins will handle it. Really? Why did they let it get to this point? A football player said in one of the stories there was a fist fight between players last year at the Hawk. Now we have three incidents in 24 hours, and Mangino says there's no need for discipline. Apparently, it's all the basketball team's fault. Hopefully, Self will have a better response."

kugrad93:

You don't listen well. Coach Mangino said there was no need to suspend anyone at this time..because he still doesn't have all the facts and is waiting on such. He also said "my track record speaks for itself" which it certainly does.

How do you know the football player involved at the Hawk was not punished? You don't. But you act like you know what you're talking about. And you're out of your mind if you think the coaches have complete control of 105 kids....why did they let it get to this point?.......you have to be kidding me.......

CD84 10 years, 4 months ago

Tom Keegan apparently doesn't know much about the young african american community since the words that Taylor used on his facebook disgust him so much because those words are used on a daily basis in good conversations or bad among young african americans! As far as suspensions you can't just suspend Taylor you would have to suspend anyone involved and we all know that isn't going to happen on either side.

tdogg34 10 years, 4 months ago

OMG, what the hell is going on now, lol.

Suspensions? For what? If anyone will be suspended it will be Taylor just because and ONLY because he is the only one named in the incident and it will be for maybe a half or a full game. Reguardless, I think a suspension would be rediculous seeing how this really isn't that big of a deal. Trust me, the coaches will kick some ass in practice the next few days, especially the basketball team seeing how they have another month before the season starts. I was on a team in college and I know what happens to those that get in trouble and its not fun at all. As for what happened, were charges filed? Did someone die? Were drugs or alcohol involved? Was someone raped? The answer to this is no as of now thus making this incident null and void.

The last thing I wanted to read the past few days was this crap. I don't like it more than anyone else, but hey it is over!!!!!! At least it should be. The pubilc, media and whoever else doesn't deserve to hear a damn thing from anyone at KU about any of this as it has nothing do with any of us. Like I said nothing illegal happened. The only thing bad that happened was the story made headlines. The good news is, this will all be forgotten after saturday.

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

Taylor is the only one who has admitted guilt: "i threw a punch".

That right there may be why he's suspended.

That, and Coach Self wasn't pleased with his Facebook comments.....again more evidence on his involvement.

CD84 10 years, 4 months ago

Just because he was dumb enough to say he threw a punch doesn't me he was the only one involved you think whoever he hit didn't throw a punch back if so your the dumb one!

justanotherfan 10 years, 4 months ago

Several thoughts on this whole mess.

1. This is ridiculous. Fighting over a girl. Somebody should have let that go a long time ago, especially if the rumors are that this has been brewing since the spring are true.

2. The only reason any of us even know about this aside from rumors is because Tyshawn got hurt. If he doesn't go to the hospital, there are rumors about athletes yelling at each other, but it never makes the papers, and its doubtful it goes national. If a lesser player had been injured instead, this still might not have gone national.

3. Brief facebook rant -

I have a profile myself. My profile was pretty entertaining for a couple of years. Lots of random pictures of my friends and I hanging out, partying, etc. Tons of movie quotes, music lyrics, inside jokes, etc. posted on my wall, in comments, etc. Then something funny happened. As I started getting close to graduation, I realized that I would have to look for a job. So down came almost every movie quote, music reference, inside joke, etc. A lot of pictures got untagged. I took down all of my personal information (hobbies, interests, favorite movies, books, music groups, etc.) But that was when I was 25. Had Facebook been around when I was 19, I'm sure I would have had things up on my page that probably would have been better left off. I'm not making excuses. I'm just saying what's true.

As the years have passed, I have seen other friends do the same. Some friends I know have deleted their old profile entirely, and made a new, more professional and work appropriate profile. Other friends I know have two separate profiles - one for close friends and family, another for work associates.

I guess my point is this. Tyshawn put some things up on Facebook that he shouldn't have. But to a 19 year old, what's appropriate to post on the internet happens to be whatever is on their minds at the time. Don't judge someone by what their Facebook (or Twitter) posts. That's only a tiny snapshot of what a person is. Its a very public snapshot, something that you have to learn to manage, as I did when I got close to graduating. Mangino has someone on staff to monitor his player's online profiles for this reason. Other schools outright forbid their athletes from having Facebook pages (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4314154).

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow! We have it all figured out. Let's shut the b-ball program down and close AF. This is the end of the world. We are just too violent and these riots are just not tolerated on campus. We look too much like Kent St in the 60s.

Come on! This happens everyday in universities all over the country but because he goes to a public hospital some eager little reporter needed a story to meet his deadline and he's getting the paper all it wants. This is what papers want. They report and sensationlize for an angle. The readers then blow it way out of proportion.

If you're that embarrassed and hung up, you're not much of a KU supporter, alum, student, etc. Let's forget it and get a NC!

FYI: Listen to Mangino's position at this point...nothing needs to be done with the facts at this point. Self will probably speak to Mangino and they will decide based on the truth of the matter, not facebook, heresay, or any other ignorant claim!!

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like Self is on it with starting boot camp early. Would the punishment of a couple game suspension be better than making Tyshawn or whoever bleed and puke for 3 hours every morning for at least a week? I would rather take the suspension than have to go through the hell storm that Self will impose on them. Give 'em hell coach!!

Adam Evans 10 years, 4 months ago

19 year old or not, as a representative of the University of Kansas, you are held to a higher standard than a typical non-athlete 19 year old. You are an ambassador to the University and should ALWAYS act accordingly. If you cannot, then you should not be in your position as a student athlete.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

OK consider me late in on this thing..... But really... Doesn't this stuff go on DAILY in college. Someone's best friend gets pissed at someone's best friend because they wanted the same girl, and the girl inevitbaly has to choose. Doesn't this same story happen a million times a year on the varying campuses all over the nation ?

SO what's the real story here ?

Right, we hold our basketballers ( and athletic performers ) to a reasonably unfair standard of behavoir that other kids don't have to conform to, because they potentially make millions of dollars playing a game. Our Media feels some compunction to drag on in slow times, trying to make every click possible.

That's why the media has to latch on, Because when you can't be Murrow or Cronkite You must have the most salicious story in print. Kudos, Your picking on Grown Kids you will be sucking up to in 3 months.

Truth be told, It's not Your place Keegan to be in his face in the first place. The story here is LJW and they don't look ready to let this go, He SHOULD glare at you because since the advent of 24 hour media, We have lost the ethics of Journalism.

You can demand them come forward and meet your terms, but you have about as much pull as Joe WIlson right now.

You can get irritated everytime a 19 year old kid gives you the evil eye, you know that same 19 year old kid that Mayer was calling to start over Sherron, you know the same one we were glorifying ( and rightfully so ) for his outstanding performance in the u-19 games, and right there was that sweet 16 run.... and we ARE preseason 1 this year. I mean, Bob Hurley can prepare you to play point guard in the League, but he cannot predict you will get involved with some altercation and throw a punch. He cannot prepare you for becoming Bill Clinton saying " i never had sexual relations with that woman..."

Frankly, this non-story is what you make of it LJW... Let it die and this won't linger on past a few random announcements during the basketball season, or it could completely kill our chemistry and give you guys a long hard winter of Stories. Considering you are also a print media, I wouldn't like your chances getting aside with a team you are currently chewing on. Print media is having hard times getting sponsers and If i were sponsoring you , I would drop you TODAY after reading the local team you cherish during November to April, you chew on like squeak toy in September.

Firebirdguy31 10 years, 4 months ago

This could be a blessing in disguise happening before boot camp and the football teams bye week. It gives both coaches a chance to give them a swift kick in the pants and refocus on what's really important, winning games and competing for championships.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen Fire..... if only we can get through SMU first......

nettiepie 10 years, 4 months ago

Yes, let the coaches take care of it. And as an added thunk on the head, I hear Taylor's mamma moved to town to watch him play. He should have to live with her for a month. Maybe she could grab him by the ear and drag him to the woodshed.

Blake Post 10 years, 4 months ago

well, the media is doing what the media does, and wants to stir the pot. I have no doubt that the coaches will deal with this. You seem to forget that Giddens and Giles were gone, and maybe others. I have no doubt that if merited, both of these coaches will terminate any player. I don't really want to inflate it in the media either, so I am not offended by the amount or degree of statement(s) given. I don't expect those players to give impromptu statements. I expect they will be disciplined and told to keep it in house. I have no problem with that. I have to comment Firegirdguy, that I like Firebirds, but winning championships are not actually the most important things, although I am 100% there when they happen. We all know that learning to be productive and civilized and respecting other people are more important. My example would be that even if Missouri won championships, I would hate to be one of them. They were cussing KU players and the refs well before the game even started at Arrowhead two years ago. They actually boo the band and throw ice at them. Kind of like shooting at the red cross, eh?

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 4 months ago

After scouring ESPN.com you know what I found? Next to nothing. One tiny link to an article regarding TT being out for 4 weeks with a hand injury sustained in a fight. Here's a newsflash for you. Keegan's being a tool! This isn't a national story anymore, if it ever was to begin with. But Keegan's trying to latch on to it and be part of the media blow up which doesn't really even exist. Because you know who's name is going to be out there? Tom Keegan with his scathing, hard hitting journalism, exposing the dark underbelly of the KU football and basketball programs. Give me a break. I agree with the question "slow news day in Lawrence?" So, some kids got in a fight. They're kids. They're young and stupid. Sure, we create an atmosphere where student athletes in successful programs have an illusion of a free ride while on their way to the pros, but it's pretty clear that the Administration is dealing with this In-House, and I see Keegan as leading the charge to do nothing more than hate on KU. I have been severely disappointed in the animalistic behaviors of KU "fans" on this board who instantly turn on our players. I'm sure all these "fans" who are hating on our players have never made a poor decision in their life, and regularly walk on water. So, here's what we all say, if any of our athletes show the least evidence that they are, in fact, human, let's turn on them and hate on them all. Let's also blow this completely out of proportion. (Sarcasm, for those of you who lack the higher brain function) Also, half of you haters are likely racist. Thank you to those of you who are taking a more sensible, head-screwed-on-straight approach, and realizing this isn't a huge issue, nor one for us to be overly concerned about, nor even our business. Like I said, the HCs and such will take care of it. Go write for a paper in Columbia, Tom.

Dan Cook 10 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Keegan,

Was there really a fight on Wednesday or just a bunch of people standing around? You continue to refer to it as a fight (as do all your brethren) and I've seen no proof of that. Were there punches thrown?

How do you know Tyshawn Taylor started the fight Tuesday night? How do you know that he's the one that should be castigated for this event? Better yet, how do you call for his suspension when you're not even connected enough to tell us what really happened and who all was involved? If you know these things, then tell us something we don't already know. Break a story that's worth reading. Don't tell us what we already know and then pass judgment when you don't have the facts.

As it stands right now, all you're doing is trying to capitalize on this event.

And most likely hoping that Kietzman asks you to make another appearance.

--Jujubean

Lance Hobson 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan's absolutely right, the inmates are running the assylum. Or in this case, the university is being run by inmates. Is this what we should expect from Gray-Little's tenure on campus? Gang fights and thug behavior with stock statements from the players on the team who are actually students and had nothing to do with it? Reesing has to be wondering how he got dragged into this.

The last thing I want to hear is who started it. College students don't act like they're in Compton. Period.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Nice points jujubean.

Hey Keegan - why don't don't sneak in on a little bit of the early Boot Camp. That way you could finally see how other people train in ways that don't involve 12" subs.

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 4 months ago

"Gang fights and thug behavior...." Seriously? Gang fights? If you really believe this you should stop supporting KU athletics. Maybe consider moving to Montana. Who on this site has never gotten into a fight...especially over a girl? Teammates were standing up for each other...which is a good thing. Whatever happened is a shame, but I did not hear of anyone getting shanked.

ku_tailg8 10 years, 4 months ago

Some of you apologists make me sick. I was willing to say no big deal after the Tuesday incident but once these idiots let it happen again Wednesday morning it was obvious they didn't learn anything. This would've just gone away had they left it alone but since the fracas Wednesday morning brought in the nat'l media they should have to deal with more than a tongue lashing. Like it or not these guys represent KU and the alumni. The negative publicity looks bad on all of us.

Its such a cop out to say these are 18-22 year old kids. That is still 8 years older then the way they are acting. For you apologist out there, if this would've happened at Mizzou would you be so willing to say forget about and sweep it under the rug? I have a major pet peeve towards hypocrites.

JayDocMD 10 years, 4 months ago

I wish u were right Kleave - but this IS all over the news and it is very much a national story. It will affect recruiting, at the very least taking more of Coach's time to repair perception with recruits/parents. At worst, losing some recruit altogether.

The national perception of this can be seen on SI.com. A story by Luke Winn tears into KU with the headline: 'KU Image Takes Hit' over picture of TT on the college BB page. The article goes on to compare the players being herded into the van to a "perp walk" and then saying "If KU is victorious in Indianapolis next March, the Jayhawks can title the season DVD, From Perp Walk To Podium: National Champs!"

Details of these incidents are on Reuters, AP, Yahoo sports, ESPN, Zagsblog, etc. , and now there are those like Keegan and J. Brady McCollough of the KC Star (who i believe is the same writer that stirred up the Henry mess) who are trying to paint a picture of campus chaos. I do think its ridiculous to act like this is small potatoes and to try to minimize it by saying it "happens all the time", but I also think its a bit self-serving for these writers to extend the story beyond the scope of the problem.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Strikewso - wow, that was pretty harsh. Not exactly sure what the new Chancellor has to do with this? I hope you are not indirectly implying something...

jeffthejayhawk is right - this isn't gang bangers. This is a few guys puffing up and acting like top rooster in the barnyard. The language used was pretty stupid, but isn't the language used in any fight stupid?

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine trying to put out a press release everytime a new story is posted on the internet? KU cannot and should not defend itself every day. You also cannot punish players based on public opinion. The fact is that what is being reported and what actually happened are growing further apart. What is the story? What actually happened? The grey area is huge here. KU is going to take a hit this time, but has anyone looked at coach Cal's latest recruiting class? I think we will be fine.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Because our coaches have silenced the parties rightfully, and the media blabbs on wrongly......

Uconn's coach - NOt one penny goes back to the state of Connecticut. Louisville's Coach - I Did have sexual relations with that woman. Calipari to Kentucky- fanned the flames.

The media cannot support istelf so it engulfs whatever story it can to keep 24 hours from repeating, because what happens if someone changes the channel...... Gasp !

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

juju-- You're too easy.

"Was there really a fight on Wednesday or just a bunch of people standing around?"

A fight.

"You continue to refer to it as a fight (as do all your brethren) and I've seen no proof of that. Were there punches thrown?"

A witness told the UDK 'It all happened really fast. There were a lot of people throwing punches.' So, yes.

"How do you know Tyshawn Taylor started the fight Tuesday night? How do you know that he's the one that should be castigated for this event?"

Because he went on his Facebook and bragged about throwing a punch. Done. He confessed. He's guilty. Suspend him.

"Don't tell us what we already know and then pass judgment."

It's an opinion piece. That's exactly what he's supposed to do.

Aligned 10 years, 4 months ago

Personally, I'm far more embarrassed by some of the inflammatory comments on this board than I am by the incident itself.

HeGone 10 years, 4 months ago

Isn't the lesson here not to instigate what did Keegan just do.....?

Kawatchi 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow, the nerve of our AD, making the local media hacks wait until they knew what was going on before sending a player out to answer every little question. What did you expect him to say? "Just kidding, there was no fight!" or "Bring them in here, we got us some unfinished business!"

Tom, you are better than this garbage.

jpreynolds23 10 years, 4 months ago

biggest losers in this whole thing from a PR perspective are media members like tom keegan, j.brady mccullough, keitzman, etc. this "story" is the height of sensationalist journalism.

from a national perspective, anybody i mention the story to can't believe this has dominated local media and airwaves. they think it's hilarious/sad that grown men find this behavior so egregious and have spent so much time/thought/ worry about a little squabble over a girl. no knives, guns, drugs, etc. no real injuries. nobody wants to press any charges. people wonder - haven't these guys ever attended a school or college? have they never been to a bar and seen a fight? this stuff happens thousands of times everyday between kids, teenagers and even grown men and women. people have been fighting ever since there have been people, particularly over women.

the story obviously isn't very important, so why so much attention? there must be other motives. rival jealousy explains guys like keitzman. so why such a big deal, keegan? an opportunity to "make a name" for yourself? congrats, we now know you to be a fool.

rxjayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

How about this instead of talking about this embarrassing situation that we are putting behind us, let's figure out how we can stop that crappy kickoff chant. I agree with Beak, that chant has got to go. KU is better than that.

DoubleDD 10 years, 4 months ago

Keegan you broke my heart. I heard your interview on 810. You're playing this up for your own benefit. This is no big deal not this out control environment you're betraying. Are you sure your not a Mizz fan in diguess. You broke my heart.

Dan Cook 10 years, 4 months ago

How Much Rice --

You're too quick to form opinions. Do you always believe what you read?

Not one person I know of has come forward, to this point, and admitted throwing a punch Wednesday morning. Not one person has claimed they were punched on Wednesday morning. In fact, if you want to quote bystanders, one of them said the basketball players were walking away and appeared to want nothing to do with any further issues.

Tyshawn admitted his punch -- more like bragging about it, which probably makes him deserving of early blame. I'm not defending his facebook crap. That's ridiculous, but we do live in the facebook age, as much as I don't like it. What I'm saying is Keegan doesn't know whether Tyshawn was defending himself or instigating it. In fact, Keegan knows very little for a guy who seems to want us to believe he's all over this.

Report something we don't know. That's what I want Keegan to do. Not revel in his opportunity to spew the stuff he threw out on his 810 interview. If he's writing an opinion piece as you've indicated, he should stop with the allegations of which he has no first hand knowledge.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 4 months ago

Um, You guys know that the one millionth comment was already reached right?

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 4 months ago

There is obviously two sides to stand up for with this story...There is a line in the sand and I'm with murph, and sevenyearhawk. Also, one of the best articles I've ever seen from Mr. Keegan...you can tell this man is passionate about Kansas Athletics. First of all...loose Taylor and one (Marcus) or both the Morris's (guilty by association). They must not realize they play basketball for possibly Thee most prestigious bball program in the country. That scholarship they take advantage of is pure gold. Trust me I'm sure Coach Self wouldn't mind having a few more scholarships to work with this recruiting season....plus there is so much competition it would be nice to ditch a couple of these clowns on the bball team and make some room for some fresh fish.

As for the football team...I think most of them aren't stupid enough to F**k with MM....if you have youtube, you know what i'm saying. Ask Raimond Pendelton. If they are that stupid, ditch them.

As a ku basketball fan I don't give this situation a second thought...it actually just helps to weed out the thugs we have in lawrence getting free schooling. But as a KU football fan, it crushes me. We've come so far in KU football, and I've been there for every step. Believe me when I say, everything we've worked so hard for, can be gone faster than you can say Kansas State. Basketball won't, and never will, miss a beat. As for Football....we work for every inch we gain. We can't blow this chance.

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 4 months ago

Posted by, KuGrad2009 (anonymous) "Keegan. your liking was sexist, immature, and ill-thought-out (that's right, my username is KuGrad2009, I'm calling you immature and sexist)."

I'm sorry Mrs. Graduate, but all I see here is a glaring, (anonymous)..... Come on lady, be a man!

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if I am smarter or dumber for reading each and every post here.

The bottom line is the COACHES will take care and are taking care of business with their teams.

I trust them. We all should.

Stop this degrading talk of the guys, coaches, Perkins, and the chancellor.

Enough is enough.

Move on .

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

people turn on their own team overnight.... shameful.....

Two weeks ago the morris's were the words off everyone's lips because they were taking on a leadership role.... now they are trash because they are involved in this incident. Shameful you call yourself fans.

Two months ago, Tyshawn was the talk of the town because of the gold medal... and how he has matured into a floor general that was capable of running our team....some suggested even better than sherron.... now you say trash them because of this incident...... Shameful you call yourselves fans.

Self's got this. I just don't want to hear any glaring adulation if these kids become elite level players.....

This is truly more disgusting to see the respect and second cahnces affording these young kids..... Hope you treat your own families better than this.

bradh 10 years, 4 months ago

I like the fact that the basketball players are going to the football game. At least they are trying to show some support.

I'd suggest getting the football and basketball teams together to do some community work. Charity events are fine, but I'd think working together to clean up a community center or something would be even better. A little team WORK to get something accomplished together will bring people together more than individual punishments ever will.

There definitely seems to be some longstanding ill will between the teams that needs to be resolved.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 4 months ago

I agree to drop it now. I remember when I was a kid, and even into the age of 19 and 20. my roommate and I had some disagreements. At the end of the year though, we were still just like brothers, but we had some bad habits that neither of us liked. The stresses of our freshman year built up and at time we took it out on each other. During high school he and I were arch rivals. We didn't like each other much, but one thing happened when we graduated. Our entire high school class from that point forward put everything in the past, and moved on and we became an entire class of best friends and you wouldn't know some of the hostilities that we had during our years in high school. Let these kids have that opportunity to do the same. Let them learn from it, because I'll tell you, making mistakes isn't something that any of us have never made. But we've learned from them. These guys one day are going to look back on those couple of days and laugh about it because of how immature and stupid that it was, but how many of us haven't ever done the same sort of thing?

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 4 months ago

Now for the KU Football team. Take the frustrations of this week and apply to playing physical football tomorrow against the real opponent!

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 4 months ago

Okay JayDoc, I'll go with you there. I admit that I wasn't aware of the SI articles. I generally do all my non-KU sports info on ESPN, so that is, of course, where I was looking. Here's the deal. Obviously the kids made a bad decision, like HCMM said, their emotions got the best of them. And true, this does reflect on the reputation of the University. I will also agree with the facts that the media is trying to blow this out of proportion, and make it worse than it is. When an athlete makes a mistake on the field or court, of course I say "Are you kidding me? You're at this school on a scholarship! You're essentially a professional at this sport!" But when someone makes a mistake in life, as we all do, YES, I'm going to be a little more lenient. Nobody gets scholarships for being a human being. And yes, saying that these are 18-22 year old kids is a perfectly legit statement to make in this case, you know why? Because these are 18-22 year old kids. Is their behavior acceptable? Of course not. Does all our bitching a moaning solve a thing about it? Probably not, unless we're getting Keegan to shut his yap. My thing is, the more the media tries to write seventeen articles about how horrible this is, the worse it makes our school look. Last I checked the incidents were Tuesday and Wednesday. These articles are essentially stringing everything out over what will likely amount to be a several week period. Making KU look even worse than the actual fight itself. Like I said, the Coaches and Admin will deal with their players. I don't think anyone involved will simply receive a slap on the wrist and a stern glare. We're talking about Bill Self and Mark Mangino. They have more integrity than that. I'm not too worried about it. KU will be fine because KU will take care of it. Like the lyrics to Creed's new song (Yes, Creed, they're awesome, deal with it) KU is "entitled to overcome."

1977kufan 10 years, 4 months ago

This issue, matter or whatever is being handled by the Administration, AD Perkins and HCs Bill Self and Mark Mangino of the University. That is it. Stop there. Let them address and handle the situation and focus on issues, stories and items that provide a positive image and outlook for the University. As an example, focus on the upcoming game with Southern Mississippi and how they could give the Jayhawks a "close game" this Saturday. Show your support for the University and our football team by being at Memorial Stadium or at least following the Jayhawks on television. Follow the preparation of the basketball team for the upcoming season (it looks to be exciting and hopefully another championship). I hope the football team gets two championships!!! Everyone, everyone get over this. This is such an outstanding University and to have it bemuddled by this is not worth it!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!!!