Originally published September 23, 2009 at 07:22p.m., updated September 24, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Mangino: As of now, no players will serve suspensions

Coach Mark Mangino talks with reporters about the altercation.

Comment from Todd Reesing

Todd Reesing talks with reporters about the altercation.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Mark Mangino addresses the recent incidents regarding the football and basketball teams

KU football coach Mark Mangino addresses the recent incidents regarding the KU football and basketball teams.

Download podcast

Videos

Altercation between KU athletes

video thumbnail

A fight between KU football and basketball players broke out Tuesday night, and was reignited Wednesday morning.

Up until two days ago, the biggest problem facing Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino was how to defend against Southern Mississippi’s quirky “Wildcat” formation.

Following a tumultuous past two days, however, in which Kansas University police were dispatched to two separate incidents involving fights between members of the school’s football and men’s basketball teams, the coach found himself dealing with questions Wednesday about the status of his players heading into Saturday’s 11 a.m. game against the unbeaten Golden Eagles.

“There’s still a lot of things that have to get to me, in terms of exactly what happened and how it happened,” Mangino said following the team’s afternoon practice. “But based on what I have right now, I don’t see anything that would have me discipline any particular player.”

The trouble started Tuesday evening, when police responded to reports of fighting outside KU’s Burge Union and sophomore basketball player Tyshawn Taylor, a starting guard for the projected preseason No. 1 Jayhawks, was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a dislocated left thumb that will likely sideline him for three to four weeks.

On Wednesday, meanwhile, another incident erupted near Budig and Wescoe halls just before 10 a.m. on the KU campus, which witnesses said may have stemmed from a player being pushed down a flight of stairs. A witness told KU’s student newspaper the pushing was done by one of the Morris twins, basketball players Marcus and Markieff.

By Wednesday afternoon, university officials had organized a meeting among the football and basketball teams as well as the school’s athletic administration, including athletic director Lew Perkins. There, the events of the past two days were discussed and, in the eyes of at least two players, resolved.

“I think everybody took (heed) of what was said and who said it, and we’re just anxious to move forward,” said senior wide receiver Kerry Meier, who added he believed the feud between team members had ceased. “This is not something that KU is proud of by any stretch, but what’s happened has happened, and we’re ready to move forward.”

“It’s just fine,” added senior QB Todd Reesing. “There’s no bad feelings. There’s nothing that’s going to be a continuation of this. It’s past us. We’re not going to let it distract us. We have a game Saturday and that’s the most important thing.”

As of Wednesday night, it remained unclear which Kansas football players had been involved in the fighting, though Mangino insisted that the recent incidents were fueled by the actions of just a few individuals, and rejected the notion that they reflected a larger problem between the basketball program and the 20th-ranked football team.

“We’re just talking about probably a few guys here that let their emotions get the best of them,” Mangino said. “But it’s not nearly as big a situation as has been portrayed in some media outlets. It’s not.”

He added that while the events of the past two days left the programs “a little embarrassed,” they wouldn’t affect the team’s preparations heading into Saturday’s game.

“We’ve got 105 kids that have invested an entire year in preparing for these games,” Mangino said. “... A few kids let their emotions get the best of them, probably over something silly, which is always the case. But I’m comfortable with the way the meeting transpired. I feel good about our kids, our basketball players, and we’ll all be just fine.”

Comments

kualuminohio 4 years, 6 months ago

This is about preserving the integrity of the institution, the fact that we are blessed with excellent sports is great, but... KU Athletics is one piece of the pie... When I was at KU I didn't live for sports, I was there to get an education. Now I live for the sports... Got to respect the football players, these are guys who are real Jayhawks. they go to battle for 4 years, they put int there time, oh and they get an education on top of it... Imagine that... I dont respect these fools who come in and bail after a year to go play for the NBA. KU should be a educational institution first and formost. If you play for KU you should be playing to get an education. You should be coached to be the best basketball player... Maybe Coach Self views himself to be an educater vs. a coach... Anyway, still love (all the respect for both coaches as well) KU sports, go Jay Hawks...

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone see Greinke pitch the other night? That was cool.

farnamjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't want to be in either HCMM or HCBS doghouse......Let them handle this situation internally. HCMM statements show's me he's ready to handle it and move on to more important things.

Randy Maxwell 4 years, 6 months ago

It's a shock that one of the Morris thugs was involved

Ben Kane 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah this definitely stinks but after thinking about it for a day i actually believe that this is a good sign. Perhaps our football players at long last view themselves as peers of the basketball players. meaning in their eyes, they feel they can compete with anybody and, this foolish incident aside, that's a good thing.

lv_jhwk 4 years, 6 months ago

One fact I think all of us who call ourselves fans need to remember: NOBODY is as embarrassed/po'd about this as either Mangino or Self. Both have obviously put in an incredible amount of time and effort to build teams and programs that so many of us are proud to follow, not only for their successes in competition but their accomplishments away from it.

Because their investment is soooo much greater than ours, there is even more at stake here. For them, program reputation is personal, a reflection upon them as much as any individual player. To have such scrutiny as a result of these actions is undoubtedly felt more by those men than any of us.

In short, I trust that Mangino and Self will take the necessary action as they see fit for their programs. We may not see it (i.e. suspensions) or necessarily hear about it (i.e. boot camp), but rest assured that it will be taken care of. And as long as they walk away satisfied, who are we to say anything otherwise?

jayhawkdon 4 years, 6 months ago

Women/girls are the root of all evil. Trust me, I know, I have a wife, 4 daughters and a female lab.

tpowell 4 years, 6 months ago

All of this over a girl.....crazy!

kvskubball 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope that this millionth post will hurry up and get here so people will start posting meaningful items!

b_asinbeer 4 years, 6 months ago

No way for a Jayhawk to act. In the meantime, Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

b_asinbeer 4 years, 6 months ago

I say that Tyshawn gets suspended at least 4-5 games. Any other takers?

Jeff Worthington 4 years, 6 months ago

Bad day today, but it could've been a lot worse. Get well Tyshawn, and get a win Saturday boys!

b_asinbeer 4 years, 6 months ago

Ditto...it'll be interesting to see what coach Self says and eventually does.

b_asinbeer 4 years, 6 months ago

What's 1,000,000, really?

Just a 1 followed by 6 zeros.

b_asinbeer 4 years, 6 months ago

Mark Mangino has a way of smoothing things over. Maybe it has been blown out of proportion, but it's still no way for these "young adults" to act.

arvadajayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Also, I can't wait to hear what Coach Self has to say. Any word on whether this incident has affected his recruiting trip? (Affected as in shortened)

arvadajayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I'll have to say that if Coach Mangino says no suspensions, that he either doesn't have all of the facts yet, or the facts don't incriminate any of his guys.

As he said, he absolutely has a solid track record on handing down suspensions when necessary.

Garry Wright 4 years, 6 months ago

100, you must really want to be # 1,000,000.

Garry Wright 4 years, 6 months ago

Mangino and Self are both hard nosed disciplinarians. They will deal with this situation in a proper and fair way. They will know exactly what happened and rightly deal with it. Let's just trust them.

Jeff Worthington 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope its true about the free pizza shuttle, I'm hungry.

osborn_2009 4 years, 6 months ago

dude where are my comments going!

100 4 years, 6 months ago

Do we get a free pizza shuttle if we're the 1,000,000 poster?

What's that number?

sawman3333 4 years, 6 months ago

What do you want to bet that the bball players will all be there front and center at the Southerm Miss game on Sunday?

jayhawk_OK 4 years, 6 months ago

I like how Mangino is handling this..Need to talk about the game now..

MrPilot 4 years, 6 months ago

I fully trust Coach Self, Coach Mangino, and AD Perkins to handle this situation as they see fit. There's a lot of rumor and hearsay going around, so you've got to be careful in your judgment. However, it is obvious that bad decisions were made but I have every confidence that it will be dealt with appropriately and won't happen again.

osborn_2009 4 years, 6 months ago

glad to hear this. and i noticed some of my posts have been deleted. am i not allowed to have a signature at the bottom of my posts?

RockChalkJHawkGOKU 4 years, 6 months ago

This is getting a lot of play both here and nationally. A complete embarassment. I'm really worried about the football team losing focus. This could be a tough game on Sat.

kwsimpson23 4 years, 6 months ago

Mangino seems to know what he's doing

kualuminohio 4 years, 6 months ago

I have been thinking about this all day... Ok coach claims it isn't as bad as it seems. Bring on the discipline. This kind of garbage is unacceptable no matter who started it.

rockchalk_dpu 4 years, 6 months ago

dewclw, you are directly contributing to this issue not going away and staying there. I know that you would like to get your 2 cents in like everyone posting on these articles (myself included), but it serves no purpose to continue to say that the issue needs to die if you and others keep bringing it up. As for MinnesotaJay, I totally agree, if HCMM felt there needed to be disciplinary action taken, he would have (and notice he left the door open if he hears anything else). As for the rest of this, I chalk it up to stupidity and foolishness by young men, something I was most likely guilty of on more than one occasion not too long ago. RCJ

leftovers8 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree, it's over, let's move on. Todd Reesing is a hero to my 10 yr old son, as well as Taylor. He just signed autographs for us at a basketball camp.

Chris Nieto 4 years, 6 months ago

i hope it doesn't hurt our seasons

MinnesotaJay 4 years, 6 months ago

I feel a lot better about this situation after hearing Coach's take. He says it's not as bad as has been portrayed, and that's good enough for me. If discipline is appropriate, I'm sure he'll apply it.

dewclw 4 years, 6 months ago

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? What in the wide world of sports is wrong these guys. KU Football & Basketball are both on a course to do great things in '09/'10. Tell me why then would they let trash talkin bother them enough to do something stupid like this. If this doesn't go away and soon and NOT come back again then it could eventually cost both programs alot, as well as the individuals involved. Grow up, move on, win a champioship. Now that, I think is a great plan. Somebody pleeeeeeeeeease remind them why they are here. Last I remembered, there is NO cage fighting team or boxing team at KU, just championship banners and bowl trophies, etc. NUFF SAID.

ProudKansan 4 years, 6 months ago

I know this statement will be bashed. Trust me, I bleed crimson and blue. But is this really good news or just more of the same?

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

Will Bill Self take the same position with his players?

sonofdaxjones 4 years, 6 months ago

Typical response by all of the squawktards thugs and Lew Perkins.

Topcitykid10 4 years, 6 months ago

KU Alumn the details are out there, you just have to do some digging around

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years, 6 months ago

I have a feeling that the jayhawk nation will never know all the details behind this. Whether that's good or bad...this episode of unusual behavior will be kept quiet amongst the direct people that are involved. Hopefully those details that are left out...were blown out of proportion...and any hard feelings between the teams really are resolved.

These boys have an opportunity to make this a positive...by becoming friends and supporting one another...helping each other become better. The guys that jump on that opportunity will be the real winners.