Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lew Perkins issues statement on Tuesday incident

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins commented on the incident between members of the KU football and basketball teams Tuesday night in a statement released Wednesday morning.

“We are aware of an incident that occurred last evening that involved members of the football and men’s basketball teams. I am disappointed that some of our student-athletes put themselves in this position, and it’s something that I am taking very seriously.

“I continue to gather facts about this incident, and I plan to address this issue personally with both teams. I also know that Bill Self and Mark Mangino are working together to address it, and I am confident that they will handle the situation appropriately with their teams.

“We will handle any discipline regarding this incident internally, and we will have no further comment about it.”

Also on Wednesday morning, KU basketball coach Bill Self confirmed a previous Journal-World report that Taylor would miss three to four weeks to ESPN's Dana O'Neil.

Comments

Gavin Fritton 5 years, 3 months ago

Thank, guys! I've been wondering what happened to all my Mizzou friends, but I'm hearing from them today. At least none of you were, as far as we know, waving around a shotgun or holding some narcotics "for a friend."

RockChalkGuy 5 years, 3 months ago

gavinesq: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one getting harassed by my Mizzou peers. They are so petty.

JHWK 5 years, 3 months ago

An absolute embarassment. There is no doubt that Taylor should be suspended if he did throw a punch, regardless of the situation, as should others involved. A different standard of behavior is required by these young men, and to fight with another student - or anyone - in public, is beyond immature. Taylor is mentoring one of our new Freshmen? Oh joy.

A black eye for all of America to see, and while we are in the running for a big recruiting class. As though HCBS didn't have enough to discuss with these potential Jayhawks - now having to defend someone who should clearly 'get it' by now.

A very sad day to be a Jayhawk.

Jeff Worthington 5 years, 3 months ago

Learn from it and move on boys. You gotta be better than this when you're in the public eye. Or even if you're not in the public eye for that matter.

kansaspike 5 years, 3 months ago

I think suspend TT for 5-6 games? make a statement.....this is ridiculous.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't know who is responsible but to have at least TWO situations 18 hrs. apart is uncalled for. The coach's better get their guys in order.

Frankenhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

if you arent embarassed by all this then you arent a true fan, i couldnt be any more pissed off right now. and this BS about "durrr, they are kids, and kids do thangs lawlllll" i am so sick of that. when you agree to have KU pay for your tuition to play sports, especially a sport where you are gonna be in the spotlight ALOT like bball or football....YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE A STAND UP PERSON AND GREAT AMBASSADOR FOR OUR SCHOOL, OUR CITY, AND OUR STATE. People who try to make excuses for these FOOLS are fools too.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 3 months ago

"they are just kids and kids do what kids do."

No, kids will do what they can get away with. Suspend those involved and make it a harsh one.

chicagoeddie 5 years, 3 months ago

these guys need to be held accountable...

trmatlock 5 years, 3 months ago

Send them home Lew. The stain on the programs and the potential impact on recruiting combine to make it not worth keeping them around. This is an embarassment. I am sure coaches all over the nation are using this incident already. You need to let parents know that it will not be tolerated, and KU is a safe place to send their kids.

MinnesotaJay 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm going to trust Lew, Bill and Mark (and, perhaps the Chancellor) to do the right thing. Whatever happens, this is nothing short of utterly disgusting.

JHWK 5 years, 3 months ago

I completely agree with most all of you. MULTIPLE incidents within 24 hours shows that these kids are not letting sense soak in, and are plotting to get even for something.

For any player involved on either team, this should be a VERY serious suspension - if not kicked off the team. This is all over national media. Other schools? Sure. KU? Until today I would have said 'No way!'.

'No further comment' - really?! The university better make it crystal clear to we contributing alumni that incidents like this will be dealt with sharply and swiftly - no b.s.

Steve Gantz 5 years, 3 months ago

Forget all the "kids are kids" or "we all make mistakes" comments. When I and probably all of you make a mistake it doesn't involve police. No lame excuses! Send em packing. No kid is bigger than the program.

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

When I was 17 and my "mistake" involved the police, I can promise you one thing... My mistake was upgraded to a F-up as soon as my dad picked me up...

These kids need to be taken behind the woodshed.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, Lew, too late, the damage is done:

From Google two minutes ago: Results 1 - 10 of about 12,600,000 for "kansas university fight"

pbowman2 5 years, 3 months ago

Lew should be ashamed of himself for being so driven to bring in the almighty dollar that he put poor Gale Sayers on the field to do something he was equipped to do. The guy is not articulate with his speech; hell, he was a football player and one of the best. But there he and Hadl were at half time as shill's for Lew's next big project to benefit the fat cats that are now in charge of KU athletics. How sad for Sayers.

Is there anything the Perkins won't do for money? He makes hundreds of thousands of dollars but will stoop so low as to take $18,000 from a KU supplier.

Meanwhile, we have this kind of incident. Is it any wonder these athletes act like thugs when they see how the AD acts? They see all the money being thrown at the program and think they can act anyway they wish.

Michael Pannacciulli 5 years, 3 months ago

has no one here ever got in a fight? your all so perfect. let's hope these guys learn from it, take their punishments like men, grow a bit, and move on and have productive seasons. i'm sure they will all do just that.

this is not something they should be sent home for. there are tons of fights on campuses everywhere, every day. get over yourselves! disciplinary action will happen, let them get the facts together first.

i wonder how many of you were convinced that sherron raped that woman? how many of you indicted him and chided him before he was cleared?

look, i don't condone this, and don't care for the boys will be boys nonsense. i just think people are over reacting. period. calm down. maybe you all need to meet up with the fighters and go to yoga or something. relax yourselves.

Jeff Worthington 5 years, 3 months ago

Nice to see that Lew's statement prevented any other incidents from happening.

Clarence Haynes 5 years, 2 months ago

pbowman2 ....Get a life man! I hope that you are one half or even one fifth as loyal as Sayers has been to KU! I say, how sad for you pbowman2 !

Blake Post 5 years, 2 months ago

pmann, it's you're, not your.

bpowman is not a Jayhawk, so do not listen to his tripe. He is a tiger.

I love Gale Sayers and if you think he is not articulate, you are very sadly mistaken. I was there about 6-8 years ago when he spoke to a crowd at something called some sort of All American whatever. It was recognizing Kansas high school athletes for academic endeavors. He was very articulate and motivating. He pointed out how many jobs there are for computer programmers and techs, for example, as compared to NFL. He told them to do the math. He gave a great speech. I don't know what the deal was Saturday and almost thought it had to do with the sound system. Maybe you should read "I am Third". He said he wanted to be remembered more for the things he accomplished after football than during football. And he is here to serve KU. There are many who want KU to try to compete with Texas and Oklahoma and we know it takes money. Gale autographed my football cards and books at an event and I was thrilled. If you think he is "Poor" or "inarticulate", then you are very, very ignorant. There are many who might stumble when addressing 50,000 people anyway. Why don't you take your Missouri a$$ home and wait for us. We will be happy to come and use all of this fighting energy to whup you again.