Originally published September 23, 2009 at 04:13p.m., updated September 23, 2009 at 06:32p.m.

Perkins calls meeting with KU football, basketball players; statement issued

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins called to order a meeting of the feuding Jayhawk football and basketball teams Wednesday afternoon at Anderson Family Football Complex.

“Lew had a great meeting with them — both teams, full teams and coaches. I would describe it as a very direct meeting,” KU senior associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said of a 15-minute session.

“I am very confident (conflict is over). You have to remember this was a small number of individuals. The statement says everything I believe they (players) were thinking.”

After the meeting — set up in response to a Tuesday night football/basketball conflict that left basketball player Tyshawn Taylor with a dislocated left thumb and a Wednesday morning flap on KU’s campus that apparently resulted in no injuries — the following statement was released by selected members of both teams.

“We realize that over the past couple of days we’ve let a disagreement between a few guys grow bigger than it ever should have. We’re embarrassed about that.

“Now we want everyone know that we have met and talked it out. We realize we’re all Jayhawks. We’re proud of what both teams have accomplished.

“We appreciate the support these teams give each other. We’ll be in the stands rooting for each other like we always have.

“We all wear KANSAS on our uniforms, and we’re proud of that. We need to act like it. We’ve met; we’re all on the same page, and we will move forward together. The football team is ready to get back to work, focused on Saturday’s game against Southern Mississippi and the basketball team will continue to prepare for another great season.”

Basketball — Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins.

Football — Kerry Meier, Todd Reesing, Jake Sharp, Darrell Stuckey.

Comments

phi4life940 10 years, 6 months ago

so......we still don't know who all was involved. I guess it doesn't matter as long as everything has been worked out and we are focused for our next game (and they're not any suspensions!)

phi4life940 10 years, 6 months ago

correction * (there aren't any suspensions.)

rolo2383 10 years, 6 months ago

Good. Lets put this behind us and move on. Suspend players if they need to be and then be done with it.

ryanm1988 10 years, 6 months ago

Oh, FREAKING please. I want to hear statements from Taylor, Briscoe and all the morons involved. Do the people running the show think released statements will solve this mess?!

avaholic 10 years, 6 months ago

Don't really think everything has been worked out. I am glad that Lew talked with them however.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

I would have to believe or hope there was some a@# chewing going on in this meeting.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 6 months ago

Self and Mangino run their own programs.

All this meeting was for is Lew Perkins to chew arse.

I have no DOUBT whatsoever the two coaches will bring hell to the players involved.

number1fanfromillinois 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad the KU athletic program acted quickly on this. I really hope this calms down all the bad media coverage, but I agree with ryanm1988, I'd like to see what TT is putting on his facebook today and the same with the Morris twins. Either way I'm excited for the season, RCJH

chapel4ku 10 years, 6 months ago

If the teams and players are over it, then everyone else should be over it. "We all wear KANSAS on our uniforms and are proud of that," let's act like it and win some titles this year both on the field and in Allen!!

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

Maybe we need a class like the NFL rookies have about not getting caught up with the jersey chasers!

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

At least 5 (Cole, Todd, Kerry, Darrell, Jake) of the 6 guys on the statement are pretty much above suspicious and have nothing to do with the feud anyway. I saw Sherron in the video earlier and one of the story states that Sherron was the target of some anger by the football players... The guys actually involved in this feud need to man up and settle this. I don't think they need to come out and make a public statement together or anything, just settle the feud amongst themselves and get on with their careers. According to the story, Dezmon and Chris Harris were involved in the childish squabble this morning. Dezmon especially needs to get his act together before he finds himself off the team and our season ruined. He's already been in trouble once.
I don't think all the details need to come out publicly so long as the players settle down, come together, and the coaches deal with any punishments they see fit.

Kyle Cornish 10 years, 6 months ago

I will promise you one thing, no players had anything to do with writing this. This was written by someone behind a desk after Marchiony told them what quotes to write.

Jayhawk04grad 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't care what the pre-written statement says, which claims to have come from the players, its still embarassing to see this in the national media. Things never change, when I was in school 5 years ago, football and basketball players walked around and hung out on wescoe beach like they owned the place. The basic philosophy was: you wear blue tracksuits, everyone worships you. I think they should change the color to pink just to prevent them from loitering around campus and make them go back to their rooms to study. Until they sign the dotted line for a pro team, they're still students.

Kyle Helmer 10 years, 6 months ago

Honestly if nobody is seriously hurt, this will blow over soon. It's embarrassing more than anything and childish. They need to act like men, and grow up. We need to be sure not to lump all players into the same category. I'm sure the majority of the guys had nothing to do with this.

rgreene 10 years, 6 months ago

A standard 'joint statement' does nothing to assure me that this is all over and done with ...

akallison 10 years, 6 months ago

i am all for our teams winning, but honestly i'm tired of the way athletes are treated like celebrities and can get away with anything.

if any other students were involved in this kind of matter, you'd better believe there would be police reports and students in real trouble with KU.

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

People need to let this go and move on. A few months from now when we're into the football & basketball seasons a ways, no one will even remember this.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 6 months ago

Gotta agree with Greene here....a prepared statement does nothing for me.

Get in front of the TV cameras and be sincere. And I'm not talking about Reesing and Cole Aldrich. I'm talking about Tyshawn Taylor and whoever's face broke his finger.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

SCRATCH.....SCRATCH.......SCRATCH........SCRATCH.......the sound you hear may be Mom Payne, Mom Barnes, Mom Knight, Mom Lamb scratching KU off their son's lists and if you Pollyannas out there don't think this is possible then I have some swamp land in Manhattan, Kansas for sale.

The world of Five Star Recruiting is WAR and it is so close that any small thing may throw a recruit away or toward a school [i.e. Arthur's dream for example] This situation needs damage control....damage control that might hurt, like suspensions and penalties but shows that the inmates are NOT running the asylum.

The onus is now on HCMM and HCBS...it's not fair but it comes with the job description.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 6 months ago

This will never be over as long as Kansas Football players are made to feel like they are the opening act for Kansas Basketball.

frompekka2sasha 10 years, 6 months ago

Chill out, people. Did you ever want to beat the tar out of someone? Did someone ever want to beat the tar out of you? Let me be first to say that this is completely childish and embarrassing for KU but it's also something that occurs whenever testosterone is involved at any high school or college across America.

If there was a woman involved then I think that any man could understand. Does anyone know why the fracas started? If not, then you shouldn't make judgements and declarations just because you may have been fortunate enough to live in a non-violent, harmonious setting your entire life.

Fighting is stupid. Fighting still happens. Fighting will continue to happen.

pbowman2 10 years, 6 months ago

You are sadly mistaken if you think this will blow over. First, the details will eventually come out. No matter what Lew does, they will come out. There were too many witnesses. If Taylor is one of the players that instigated the fracus, he will be unable to concentrate on the game when they play in Columbia. Imagine what fun the Antlers will have with this. Whoever it is should simply leave school now so the team can find someone else to fill his position. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts on Saturday; that will not be a walk in the park.

Hawktacular 10 years, 6 months ago

Thumb or arm wrestling. That is how this should be settled, once and for all.

I give the edge to the basketball team if it goes to thumb-wrestling (insanely long fingers and thumbs on most of those guys) and to the football team for arm-wrestling for obvious reasons.

100 10 years, 6 months ago

This had to do with a woman two of the players were fighting over.

Let these kids make a mistake for crying out loud -- sure it's embarrassing but it's over.

I guarantee you the only reason "numbers" were involved is because they back each other (a great thing in competition, a bad mistake here).

Once everyone reflects on the stupidity of this girl getting in the way of friendship, things tend to heal very quickly -- it's a tough lesson but we all learn it once.

Secondly, when they all get older they will see this particular kind of woman is one thing -- trouble.

Stay as far away from her as possible.

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

This WILL blow over if we all just let it go. WE (including myself) are contributing to it every time we make a post on one of these articles. I swear some of you like this kind of crap and will continue to contribute as a source of entertainment.

stiemann 10 years, 6 months ago

Gotta admit, this has been a really interesting day for the Hawks. Glad to see that Lew laid the hammer down.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

good job X and CJ for staying out of the headlines! You have bigger things to accomplish

Tyler Daniels 10 years, 6 months ago

well looks like you can say good bye to Brandon Knight and all the other Top 20 - 25 recruits we were trying to get. This is so dumb! This is going to kill us in recruiting, parents want their kids to be safe, not worry about getting beat up.

100 10 years, 6 months ago

Who are the captains of the Jayhawk football team?

I presume Todd is on offense.

Is Darrel Stuckey the Defensive captain?

As I've heard to the contrary about the speech I'll put my two cents in:

The speech was well done & very timely. I do believe the sentiments. We must all keep in mind this really is (was) an issue between two people. It sounds like the biggest most important thing has happened -- people talked.

Unless you're on a sports field (or a soldier in a war), talking, listening and getting out the truth to develop an understanding of others beats fighting any day of the week.

Don't believe this? Watch "Wanted"

kuhawks1983 10 years, 6 months ago

Everyone here is an idiot who is playing arm chair quarterback and saying, "this" and "that" should of been done. These players are merely kids, 18-20 yr olds. Yes, they should uphold the dignity of being a Jayhawk and be role models because that's what they are. But everyone makes mistakes, let alone young adults. No one knows the real facts of why exactly this all went down except the people involved themselves. I'm sure the guilty parties are going to be disciplined but stop judging. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, even the very people that are making all these judgements on this board. This will all eventually blow over and everything will be back to normal.

TexasJayhawk78 10 years, 6 months ago

I am glad they have buried the proverbial hatchet. This “no-class” type of behavior does more to discourage me from attending the games than the potential terrorist attacks at stadiums alert.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

I am ready for a statement from Mangino and Self!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

snore. so some hotheads got into some scuffles. let the coaches sort it out. i'm sure they'll get their due punishment.

KU's usually not seen as an out-of-control program, so these guys do us no help. i'm sure this is the end of this.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

milwaukee: I don't know how this is a "Snore". A major contributor on the KU BB tall team was involved in 2 of 3 altercations in the span of 24 hours with the football team. Let's not forget that he's out 3-4 weeks and will most likely miss some practices including "Late Night". It's definitely made National news so I don't think we're dealing with small potatos here.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

I want to hear a statement from Taylor!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

I want to hear a statement from Mangino!

rel76 10 years, 6 months ago

Never ever, ever, ever...fight over a girl.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 6 months ago

This wasn't a bar fight, apologists. This was a rumble on KU's campus at 10 in the freaking morning, hours after their earlier rumble was splashed on the front page of the local newspaper.

A little different.

AverageCitizen 10 years, 6 months ago

So, what do we have here? TT with a dislocated thumb and a football player pushed. We have words. Other than TT's thumb, which it appears he injured himself, we have nothing illegal unless someone presses charges for a shove? Technically a shove is illegal since you can't put your hands on someone by law (misdemeanor assault?) Who would press charges? A DI football player?

On the other hand, both teams are embarrassed by everyone knowing what stupid kids they are. Frankly, this might be a blessing in disguise in that if the tension had not been dealt with it might have escalated into some serious injury. I believe peer pressure will now keep those few that have issues with each other in line.

And, as far a recruits go? 1) Don't tell me those kids kids haven't seen this same kind of dispute in their high school/neighborhood before. Parents know boys act aggressive at times over girls, a comment etc.This KU dispute didn't amount to anything. 2) How do you explain recruits that still flock to Calipari? End of discussion.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

When these kids signed their letter of intent, it was stated in the KU basketball manual that they would have a team building "Bonding Event". I wonder if this is what they had in mind. Either way, the team is definitely backing one another. LOL!

Derek Conway 10 years, 6 months ago

hopefully in two weeks this all just blows over and the teams can do their bests to maximize their potentials. quite embarrassing though

Ben Kane 10 years, 6 months ago

kushaw, silly comment antics aside, i agree with your earlier sentiment. I too was very happy to never see X and CJ brought up. After all their antics this summer that was an amazing relief.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

chcuckberry: Yeah, X and CJ are nowhere to be found? LOL! Withey doesn't seem to be around nor Aldrich. You saw Reed and Teahan in the video, but also doesn't seem that they were around either. Well, you have 5 of the 13 players at least focusing on other things. Out of everyone, it amazes me that the Morris' would be involved in any of this, especially after all this made National Headlines this morning. Unbelievable! We haven't had any problems with Tyshawn up until now so he can somewhat be excused, but the Morris' can't seem to say away from trouble.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

This is starting to bring back memories of the Marvin Branch and Otis livingston years!

97jhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Oooooo......they're gonna get it when dad gets home!! Umm, I mean at least the men's b-ball team when Self gets back from his recruiting trip. Man these guys are foolish to cross these coaches. Both HCBS and HCMM are just waiting to use the "belt" on these kids I'm sure.

yovoy 10 years, 6 months ago

can you imagine being chewed out by "uncle" lou? i don't care who you are, you'd be scared. i'm not scared of many people, but uncle scares me badly.

please remember that lots of these guys aren't from the joco. other locales 'ain't nuttin' to f* wit'. there's a different mindset where everything is not always peachy, and it's not hard to slip back into that. especially when a girl is involved, and a sense of "team" is involved. i've got 2 bags; one is the well-educated professional bag, the other one is quite the opposite. none of this excuses these guys, but i'm saying that old habits don't die: they hibernate until they're "useful"'.

Chris Nieto 10 years, 6 months ago

i bet some of those recruits will be enticed to jump on board and start a fight club!

gchawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree with hutchinsonhawk. A problem like this might actually work in our favor because it shows that we, meaning the "powers-that-be" at KU, will not tolerate such childish behavior and that it gets nipped in the bud quickly. We all know that we're talking about emotionally charged young adults and that behavior is very erratic at best, the parents of prospective players have surely experienced some of the same, so I truly think this will blow over. All is well, all is well !!!!!

kubasketball0809 10 years, 6 months ago

K so im a sophmore in highschool and i am a die hard KU fan, football and basketball. More along the lines of basketball. And i happen to be on my laptop at school (school issued). And im on this site everyday and i saw the whole article on Tyshawn and about the other altercation and freaked out and literally couldn't do any work in math class. That shows you how much of a fan i am, and how much i am ready for this season to freakin start already. All i could think about was if TyTay would get suspended or not and about the other players. And if this would hurt recruiting for KU. Well that is all i can think of so i hope everything goes good the rest of the way..... (And what about grandpa Perks putting the hammer down huh)

kubasketball0809 10 years, 6 months ago

Im from Hutchinson Ks by the way incase u wanted to know... Prolly didnt but o well

Tyler Daniels 10 years, 6 months ago

no way kubasketball, so am I! I'm a freshman in high school

and gchawk, good point, but it we will only show it if we take great disciplinary action, if we let these guys get off with a slap on the wrist and a talking to, we aren't showing anything except we like are star players. Honestly, these guys (who were involved) should be suspended for the majority of the season. We have plenty of talent on the football and basketball team. Deserving talent. I would rather have a classy program that doesn't win a national championship every year, then a dirty one that ruins the schools reputation and win a national championship every year. I hope mangino and self sit them down and say "The next person who starts any crap with each other will be off the team",

KUwins_again 10 years, 6 months ago

So i have it on good word that the basketball team is starting boot camp tomorrow.

Nathan Mattison 10 years, 6 months ago

My solution. An old fashion "dance off"... loser has to give an autograph session for charity.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 6 months ago

I have this vision of Perkins, Mangino, et al leading the athletes in singing "cum by ya"! I also hope that this is the end of this saga !

100 10 years, 6 months ago

Nice job today, Coach Mangino -- solid interview, considering the circumstances.

From everything we see you say, it is quite apparent the media outlets went crazy with this story today. Once we heard you speak, it went from being 1000 fighters to 2 kids who let their emotions get away from them very quickly.

I like your version much better than the ESPN story -- your version is like having two of your younger brothers fighting in the backyard over a barbie doll -- kind of weird, but you love 'em the same.

(plus from ESPN's perspective it didn't help much that 100 people were trying to break it up, not to mention the fact that it was on campus & they grabbed the story before they even knew that only "a few people" had anything to do with it).

In all sincerity, very well handled today, Coach

Best of luck against Southern Miss,

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Jeff Worthington 10 years, 6 months ago

This is one time where I'm glad there is a "traditional program" bias on networks like ESPN. If this had happened at Florida, Ohio State, USC, etc. we would never hear the end of it. Hopefully everything is handled, now let's get back to work and beat So. Miss and move to 4-0! ROCK CHALK!

lee3022 10 years, 6 months ago

Average Citizen - good call on the recruits. These guys are way smarter than some folks here realize (maybe they have not thought about it). No recruit is going to eliminate KU over this incident. We still have terrific people wanting to come here to study and play ball because the school and the traditions are much bigger than any player - knucklehead or not. It is perhaps being blown up because it does not happen often at KU.

I am not fond of the players' actions here. I believe Lew when he says it will not happen again. Being suspended by the AD is not conducive to being drafted high in the NBA.

But I stand behind the school that fostered and nurtured me to a degree and a great start on a career. I have full confidence in both coaching staffs and the AD's staff to educate young men as the university has always done. Out of every negative there is always a positive. Part of that education is learning to recover from our falls.

jayhawk15 10 years, 6 months ago

This is so embarrassing. All over a girl lol. The can get any girl they want, and there are a ton of hot girls on campus, but there fighting over one girl, how pathetic. From what i have heard from, friends who know the football players, The Morris twins started most of it, and they threw the first punch. One of the morris twins got beat up and knocked out in the fight. Taylor tried to defend them by punching back, he was stupid but you almost have to feel sorry for him since there were so many more people involved than just him. Also supposedly a football player was pushed down the stars today outside wescoe. They all better get yelled at, and be made to run 40s for a couple hours lol everyday lol. This better not scare of recruits parents, they all need to grow up before this gets out of hand!

lv_jhwk 10 years, 6 months ago

Cshjhawk: Singing "cum by ya"?! Isn't that sorta what started all of this in the first place?!

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 6 months ago

Probably attended KU before your time and I am only pointing out the absurdity of the press blowing this thing way out of proportion!