Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Payne to visit Oct. 31

Adreian Payne, a 6-foot-10, 215-pound senior center from Jefferson High School in Dayton, Ohio, will make his official basketball recruiting visit to Kansas University the weekend of Oct. 31, Rivals.com reports. Payne has a final list of KU, Kentucky, Arizona, West Virginia and Michigan State.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to Kansas Adreian...hope your visit goes well !

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

6'10 215..... sounds very similiar to Thomas Robinson's pre-Hudy Weight....

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm Halloween night...... who do we play again ???? Texas Tech in Lubbock... No football game to attend ( however last year's home game against Texas Tech would not have been a great game to go too.... ) SO he's going to be hanging with the Pre-season 1's and Air henry's.....sounds promising... Hopefully some of our NBA hawks came come back for some B'ness before they have to report to the pros....

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope Cole is his tour guide, because that's Aldrich's birthday!

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 4 months ago

You know you are obsessed with ku ball when you know the players birthdays

They will need to find a stud to fill Cole's shoes. Can never have enough feelers out there for true big men.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Anyone remember why they didn't get him here for Late Night?

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Why is he a lock? I'm not so sure but would be happy to find out there's some inside skinny I haven't heard yet.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

jayhawkerjoel:

He was originally set for October 23 but couldn't come because he is taking his SAT on the morning of the 24th.

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Payne. some names are just perfect for their position. I remember a couple years ago, Michigan had linebackers named Steele and Sword.... Usain Bolt is an incredibly perfect name too.....

I hope he causes alot of payne for opposing bigs down the road.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

According to rivals.com, his high school coach attended the in-home visit with Coach Self and Coach Townsend and indicated that the visit was a fantastic success.

It appears that just as drgnslayr has indicated, KU has a "big man" school reputation second to none. Kahn, Jackson, Aldrich, the Twins, etc., etc. Several other sources have indicated that he is really, really leaning toward KU.

Wait till he plays a pick up game with the boys!!! I have always felt that personal time with future tammates was more valuable than a football game. Of course, Late Night is the exception!!!

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Does that means we will start hearing Jump around as our intro music ???? Wil we see Daymon wayan's military drill instrutor all over the crowd after a drop step and Dunk ?

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

No doubt that KU offers the bigs the best training ground in college. But, when he looks down that depth chart and sees Withey, Robinson, Marcus, and Kieff (I assume Cole will be gone after this year,) who knows how he feels about it.

I’m the biggest KU homer there is, but each kid with dreams of playing in the NBA wants to get there ASAP. There aren’t many Wayne Simiens out there. Payne may want to be “the man” and get as much floor time as possible his freshman year. Some guys don’t see the benefit of competition – they want a program that promotes them first.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that competition and Danny are the best long-term investment for any big man entering college. But, these kids have lots to evaluate and typically many voices giving them advice. I don’t think any kid is a lock until they show up on campus and enroll.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 4 months ago

Best case scenario: Payne is similar in style to NBA super-talent and notable crying extraterrestrial, Anthony Randolph. Worst case: he is secretly a Cancer survivor who has recently just finished his latest rounds of Chemo. Wow. I just watch highlights of Payne and I could barely see him. He looks like Gumby, if Gumby happened to be addicted to crack cocaine and diet pills.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 4 months ago

man that would be sweet to get him and have whithey here as well.

kvskubball 10 years, 4 months ago

I think the twins are going to be huge positive surprises this year! They will be building their games this year to bust out all over next year. They will shine really bright at times this year, but will be ready to lock and load next year!

If we get another Big, he needs to be someone willing to share the spotlight, because the twins are going to shake the house (some this year, but they'll be Rockin' the Chalk their junior year). With Withey, and another big time Big, WOW! That Bigtime Big may already be sitting on KU's bench (Robinson)! You can always use another Big, in our case because Mc Morris may actually be able to play the 3, and play it well, before he leaves KU!

I'd like to see us add more talent to replace the 3 we are likely to lose, but I feel that as long as 3 players leaving doesn't become 4 or 5, then we'll be in good shape for '11, whether we add more bodies or not! It is going to be tough to keep 14 playa's happy this year! But Roy has been able to keep his players pretty happy and I think Coach Self can do the same!

I think our theme song this year should be "We are Family!!!!", just sustitute brothers for sisters in the song, and it's poifect! Or, as a second choice..."We will, we will, Rock You!!!"

kvskubball 10 years, 4 months ago

And what would be the natural follow-up song to Queen's: "We will Rock You?", as the wiki says, it was meant to be followed by...............

We are the Champions!!!!!

I say if the shoe fits, wear it! And by golly that sounds like it fits, kinda like Peas and Carrots (Thanks Forrest!)

Chris Kraner 10 years, 4 months ago

Dayton is just down the road from me, I plan to go watch this guy play this year as long as we are on his list. Look forward to watching him, Ill report back later what I see. From what I have heard he is really solid, but all you hear about around here is Ohio State football and Sullinger (OSU recruit in basketball).

GO KU - from Ohio.

MemphisMachine 10 years, 4 months ago

Why Memphis isn't on that list I don't get it, just saying.

KUwins_again 10 years, 4 months ago

Because they suck and are in the middle of a large contro over old recruits. The only reason cal gets such good talent to go to his school is his NBA links.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

kvskubball says - And the natural follow-up song to Queen's: "We will Rock You", is "We are the Champions!!!!!"

Those songs came out just before my HS went a perfect 78-0 (33-0, 23-0, 22-0) in 1978. Can still remember driving back from super-sectionals with speakers hanging out of the cars with tapes of those songs cranked.

Ahhhh, good times!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

Withey will be a nice backup to Cole this year, and should be able to give vivid first-hand knowledge to the benefits of banging with a great big-man teammate everyday while the best college big-man critiques and creates the next POTY. Cole could visit with stories of his apprenticeship with the entourage of NBA frontliners as well.

Could be the beginning of an amazing tradition.

And it's not like we are short on talented guards either.