Monday, September 21, 2009

KU football game against Southern Miss a sellout

Kansas Athletics announced Monday that the KU football team's game Saturday against Southern Miss is a sellout. The contest, scheduled for 11 a.m., will be televised on FSN.

The announcement means that KU has sold out its last six home games at Memorial Stadium. It is also the 10th time in the last 12 home games that the Jayhawks have had a sellout.

KU had 52,530 fans at the season-opener against Northern Colorado and followed that with an attendance of 50,101 against Duke on Saturday.

Memorial Stadium's official capacity is 50,071.

Comments

d_prowess 5 years ago

Does anyone know how the attendance figures work? I mean how do you have almost 2,500 more people at a game than capacity? Where were they?

mdfraz 5 years ago

Student section, at least a lot of them.

JayCeph 5 years ago

Standing in line waiting for the nacho cheese to get warm.

Joel Hood 5 years ago

It's Band Day for this game. How do those additional seats figure into the "sellout" calculation?

longhawk 5 years ago

They oversell the student section and family zone. They're bleachers, so you have a finite amount of numbers painted on the bleachers (the capacity number), but you can get more hineys on the seats than there are painted numbers.

They also oversell the student section for basketball, and God knows what the real attendance is for every game. They just always report 16,300, since that's the fire code number.

Jeff Worthington 5 years ago

If you win, they will come. You don't have to build anything. People would rather see a winner, than a new stadium. Take notes Royals.

lowdowndog 5 years ago

USM (YOUR RENT A WIN) WILL PULL OFF THE UPSET BY 2 PTS. YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYBODY YET

lowdowndog 5 years ago

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THAT YA NEED A BIGGER STADIUM WITH THAT MANY SELLOUTS. I'M USE TO 92,000 AT LSU. USM WILL KICK BUTT

Kevin Sontag 5 years ago

lowdowndog (anonymous) says... sounds like to me that ya need a bigger stadium with that many sellouts. i'm use to 92,000 at lsu. usm will kick butt

Obvious troll is obvious.

jayhawkinATL 5 years ago

Now we attract LSU scum to our site??? Love it!!!

kvskubball 5 years ago

lowdown...

Your team not living up to expectations? Have to come to a KU website to workout your cranky attitude? L.osers S.hut U.p!

jayhawkinATL 5 years ago

Yep, lowdown...

USM barely beat a horrific UVa team at home...a team who lost on its home turf to some guy named Bill and his girlfriend, Mary.

Get real!!!

lowdowndog 5 years ago

LSU HAS PLAYED SUCKY NEVER HAVE REALLY CARED FOR MILES. HE'LL SCREW IT UP SOMEHOW, SINCE HE IS NO LONGER PLAYING WITH LITTLE NICKIE'S PLAYERS. FEDORA AND USM WILL SURPRISE YOU

jayhawkintx73 5 years ago

Most of the seating at Memorial stadium is Bench Seating. They just pack em in as tight as they can. Can't blame them if people are willing to pay to be inside the stadium for the game. Capacity has grown though through a few more suites and the VIP seating at the South Endzone.

jayhawkintx73 5 years ago

This guy is bragging about beating UL-Lafayette. We played them too a couple of years back. Ya know when they told us that we had a cupcake schedule. LSU has a cupcake schedule and can only muster a 31-3 win over Lafayette.

Michael Leiker 5 years ago

"Sucky"...sound like an authentic Southern Miss fan to me.

edwinga 5 years ago

The last that I knew, attendance figures at football games are estimated anyway. There aren't any turnstiles for an official count, so a KU official just makes an approximation based on who know what... If anyone else has any more insight on this, please do tell.

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

Everyone, please show lowdowndog a little love....

No matter how great MSU may be and no matter how much Ole Miss may suck, on a national scale, everyone thinks that University of Mississippi is the only Div.One school in the state and MSU is a community college!!

Speaking of community colleges, I was forced to spend the weekend in Columbia watching the Misery Tiggers. Those folks have already pencilled in the KU game as an Missouri victory and are touting their sophomore QB as a surefire Heisman candidate. I had no idea that crack cocaine was a legal drug in Columbia along with the other, ever popular Missouri favorite, Meth!!!

Jonathan Briles 5 years ago

I give Southern Miss a lot of credit. I have been a little worried about them for a long time. They have some real athletes on their team. Their QB can throw and Brown is an amazing WR. We dont really have a corner that can handle him very well. Thorton or Stuckey are going to spend the game trying to cover him. Patterson is more than capable of covering him but he is not easy to take down. My guess is that our defensive package will have Thorton in maine coverage but we will have Harris or Stuckey spying and on his side of the field. They could really give our defense fits if they play smart or we dont play well. I look for us to take this game with a good margin of victory. Mangino is an amazing coach and will be ready but if our players do not come out to play we could leave disappointed.

Tribehawk 5 years ago

I agree with KanFan. Southern Miss is more athletic than a number of Big XII teams. We won't be able to push these guys around or outrun them like we have with our first 3 opponents. It'll come down to coaching and execution. I say we win, but I think it'll be tight for 3 quarters.

kkoenig 5 years ago

Oakville,

Forced to spend a weekend in Columbia? What's the story behind that?

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

kkoenig

My entire set of in-laws are either MU Alum, MU supporters or actual MU students. I kind of considerd it an act of charity, sort of like visiting the leper colony on the Hawaiin island of Molokai.......next time, I'll visit the lepers!!

JBurtin 5 years ago

I think we smoke USM handily.

Think about it. Don't you think K-State would make a pretty good matchup for UVA?

If USM can barely pull off the win over UVA on their home turf, then I seriously doubt that we have anything to worry about. I'm sure they have a few good players that will be hard to defend, but do you honestly think that they can outscore Briscoe, Meier, Wilson, and MacDougald? These guys are angry with themselves for a few recent drops and are going to come out strong in this game.

KU 44 USM 10

Cody Stumma 5 years ago

I'm somewhat worried about Southern Mississippi as well. However, I feel that we'll do fine. I'm glad to hear that its another sold-out game. The high school bands will enjoy that and the game I'm sure.

Michael Auchard 5 years ago

When I got tix for this game a month ago only sections 17 and 2 were left. And in 17 only row 25 and up... I think this game has been sold out for a very, very long time. Doesn't hurt that you could get tickets for $25 a piece.

Michael Auchard 5 years ago

Oh, and I heard the reason the 52,000 No.Co. was considered a sell-out just like the 50,000 Duke game was because every undergrad student was given a ticket for that first game. Might just be a rumor/urban legend/whatever, but the people I know who had "seats" in the student section said it was just bananas.

brownhawk 5 years ago

They gave out an extra, complimentary ticket to students for the first game. When they saw how well the turn out was they decided to give a complimentary ticket for the game against Duke as well. I was in the student section and I unfortunately I showed up right as the game was about to start and it was absolutely ridiculous. There were so many people standing in the crowded aisles that it made it literally impossible to find someplace to stand, let alone move.

KURocksChalk 5 years ago

posted this on another thread:

Question: Did anyone notice if the early start time for the Duke game kept fans at the game longer? I have seen people expressing concern over that in the past and was wondering if time of day made much difference.

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years ago

The 11 am start time did not help keep people in the stands longer. Early in the fourth quarter the student section and most of the west side as well was probably 1/2 cleared out, and it was virtually empty for the last 3 minutes or so. A lot of students started clearing out after the pick 6 to open the half. I really hate the 11 am start time, and I think most people agree. The crowd really lacks energy that early, especially the students. The student section was nowhere near as involved for Duke as NoCo, and I noticed a big drop off in crowd rowdiness for 11 am games last season as well. Also, the team seems to lack energy a little in 11 am games, or maybe it just seems that way since I am frankly too tired and not pumped up enough for football that early in the day? I was roaring the entire game for N.Co., but I just didn't have it in me to be very loud for Duke, and I think most students were the same way. I really really hope tv networks pick up our conference games and put us on at 2:30 or 6-7.

bradt1719 5 years ago

we must be so loud on saturday! so loud!

labbadabba 5 years ago

I've been disappointed by my fellow KU fans. I always hate seeing the stadium half-full in the 3rd quarter. KU fans still have yet to learn what it means to be a football fan.

Don't people realize that we have a precious few games with Reesing, Meier, Sharp, and Stuckey at home. I would soak in every second if I could. That class is responsible for resurecting the KU program and should be beatified upon their graduation.

jayhawk2062 5 years ago

Southern Miss was down 10 points in the 4th quarter to a Virginia team that lost to William & Mary and TCU at home!

They are replaying the game on CBS College Sports all week, check it out for yourself.

lowdown......

We haven't played anybody? Let's look at USM's schedule

Alcorn State (HOME) Central Florida (HOME) Virginia (HOME)

Terrible competition at home.......this is USM's first road game of the year.

People in glass houses.....shouldn't throw stones.

gardenjay 5 years ago

Labbadabba - agreed. We had some fan retention ideas going, if you want to add more to them.

... #14) Announcing that the KU basketball team is in the stands, to stay until end of 4th quarter 15) Bits of Allen Field House in small glass vials, handed out at end of football game

2062, we know people shouldn't throw stones within houses at all, it's just a bad practice. When we were at KU, we tried potatoes, and even they did some damage.

farnamjayhawk 5 years ago

Oakville-

Don't blame the in-laws for your trip to Misery. When my grandmother, who is buried 50 feet away from Dr. Naismith and had family members who were killed when Quantrill raided Lawrence(her great-aunt lived through it and would tell her stories), met my wife who is from Omaha the first thing she said was "Well, at least she's not from Missouri" She meant it.

KU 41 SMU 17

RCJHGKU

KURocksChalk 5 years ago

Thanks, Boogeyman for the update on fan participation. Don't really understand it at all. I think that it is a problem that will only be solved with time, program improvement, and maybe some promotional gimmicks.

I am not so worred about S. Miss after seeing who they played and how bad Virginia is. Not worried at all. Hopefully, we can clean up some things and get ready for conference play. Kinda glad we start with ISU and CU in conference, giving us a chance to hone our skills against better athletes at least.