Saturday, September 19, 2009

Yankee Bowl likely to have Big 12 ties

The Big 12 Conference more than likely will add a bowl game to its slate next season at Yankee Stadium in New York.

All that’s waiting is approval from the conference’s board of directors, Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda said. The approval could come in the next fall meeting at the end of October.

“It’s a bowl that we have interest in,” Burda said of the Yankee Bowl. “We are going to present it to the board of directors for a potential partnership.”

The Yankee Bowl would feature the seventh selection from the Big 12 against the third or fourth selection from the Big East.

The seventh selection in the Big 12 last season was Kansas University.

“I think it would be exciting to play there,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said. “We had a great time in Arizona last year, and we won a bowl (Insight), so that was something everyone enjoyed, but certainly the prospect of adding the Yankee Stadium bowl to the lineup is exciting.”

The N.Y. bowl likely will have Big 12 ties through the 2013 season. This is the fourth and final season of the current cycle of bowl contracts in the Big 12. The conference is in the process of negotiating for a new contract, which will run from 2010 through 2013.

“Membership has an interest in bowl arrangements to extend our reach and have a presence along the eastern seaboard, and this opportunity provided that chance for us,” Burda said.

The Big 12 currently has agreements with eight bowls, and it’s expected to stay that way in 2010, even with the addition of the Yankee Bowl. The Sun Bowl no longer will be affiliated with the Big 12 starting in 2010.

Therefore, the conference will have the following bowl ties: BCS, Cotton (Dallas), Holiday (San Diego), Alamo (San Antonio), Insight (Tempe, Ariz.), Yankee (New York), Texas (Houston) and Independence (Shreveport, La.).

Every bowl listed above is a warm-weather spot even in the winter, with the exception of New York.

“You pack a couple of extra sweaters, hats and gloves and prepare for weather that’s going to be colder than Miami or Tempe, but it would still be a great experience,” Marchiony said. “Every bowl site offers its unique attractions, and you can say the same thing for New York.”

Yankee Stadium has already made plans to host other college football games at its $1.5 billion facility. On the future slate: Notre Dame-Army (2010), Army-Rutgers (2011), Army-Air Force (2012) and Army-Boston College (2014).

Comments

Billy Derringer 10 years, 4 months ago

IM SICK OF THE DAMM YANKEES I WOULD HATE TO PLAY IN THE WANKEE BOWL, HELL WHY DONT WE START A CHIEFS BOWL FOR THAT MATTER OR A LAKERS BOWL OR A MAPLE LEAFS BOWL WHAT A DAMM SHAME- WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO GO FREEZE YOU AZZ OFF IN N.Y.AND PLAY IN THIS STUPID BOWL....

Billy Derringer 10 years, 4 months ago

AND ITS NOT EVEN A FOOTBALL STADIUM FOR THAT MATTER I THINK THE BIG 12 CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS RETARDED BOWL

William James 10 years, 4 months ago

Billy Derringer 10 years, 4 months ago

Machawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope the Big 12 does not link up with the Yankee Bowl because the allure of a bowl for many people is being able to go to a warm weather location. If Yankee Stadium had a dome it might help, but I still wouldn't go to a bowl game there. Let's affiliate with a more interesting bowl.

jayhawkdude46542 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't have an issue so much with NYC or cold weather...but really, call it anything other than the Yankee Bowl.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I like the idea too. I agree with fabio, NYC in January...I'm there. As a Red Sox fan I do have an issue with the Yankees though. YANKEES SUCK!

Warren 10 years, 4 months ago

How about just making sure that KU finishs above 7th in the Big 12 from now on and then they won't ever have to worry about playing in NY? But face it, any bowl is better than no bowl, and I have never been to NY.

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

do we really want the seventh place team in a bowl game? I'll bet that game will garner a huge viewing. postseason processes must change and I will continue to hope they do so soon.

97jhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Yankee Bowl? Are you freakin' kidding me? Might as well line up the Big 12 with the Motor City Bowl in that midwest toilet city of Detroit. Can't believe some people on here actually think it's a good idea to go NYC in January and against a Big East opponent. No thanks! I'm sure several folks from the midwest share the same opinion. People and players prefer warm destinations and playing a football game inside a baseball park is a joke. Shoot, lets just have the Arrowhead Bowl game and play a DII team. The only thing the Yankee Bowl brings is incentive to play your arss off so you can play in a real bowl game in a real time bowl game environment.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 4 months ago

Or play extra hard to keep from freezing solid. What a bad idea. Surely the Big 12 isn't that desperate for a bowl affiliation.

jayhok22 10 years, 4 months ago

What a bunch of whiners. FOOTBALL IS A COLD WEATHER GAME. Being from Kansas, I dislike the Yankees as much as everyone else, but it's not like our team would have to wear Yankees jerseys if they go to this bowl. Also, NYC is one of the most exciting cities in the US.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I just want to know why they are still adding bowls. Is every team eventually going to get a bowl bid at this rate?

mikeowens 10 years, 4 months ago

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Have you ever been to New York? I'm with jayhok22. I wouldn't be happy with finishing seventh in the league, but I'd be damn pleased to have an excuse to go to NYC. Going to that game would be a blast.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 years, 4 months ago

Love it! Finally don't have to travel to see my boys!

When is BBall coming back to MSG? Coaches vs. Cancer? Preseason NIT?

kw11b2p 10 years, 4 months ago

When are we, as a society, going to stop rewarding mediocrity. A seventh place finish does not warrant a bowl appearance. At this point it has simply become a matter of trying to make as much money as possible. If conferences continue to support these types of financial (not athletic) endeavors, it will diminish the sport.