Thursday, September 17, 2009

KU will fire a cannon when Jayhawks score this weekend against Duke

The National Guard ceremonial cannon will likely stay around for home games this season

A new Howitzer cannon will debut in KU's football game Saturday. The cannon will be sounded after every KU score.

Those large booms echoing through Lawrence on Saturday won’t mean some kind of foreign invasion is afoot — they’ll just be a sign of happy Jayhawk football fans.

A 75 mm Howitzer cannon will be a part of touchdown and field goal celebrations at Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

The Army ROTC program will test the cannon at noon on Friday in preparation for the 11 a.m. kickoff against Duke on Saturday.

It’s part of a Kansas University football commemoration of the armed forces on Saturday, said Jim Marchiony, KU associate athletics director.

The cannon might stick around after the Duke game, too, he added.

“We’ll see how it goes,” Marchiony said. “And then we’ll decide on the rest of the season.”

The idea came from discussions with KU’s ROTC program, he said.

“They seem very enthusiastic about it, and we certainly are excited,” he said. “So we’re going to try it.”

The Kansas Army National Guard is loaning the Army ROTC the Howitzer, which is used in ceremonial events.

Army Capt. William Chuber, a member of the Kansas National Guard and a KU Army ROTC instructor, is supervising the cannon’s use.

The cannon will be set up in a roped off area next to the football practice facility and will be in the stadium for home games this season.

Comments

Pinkels_Visor 10 years, 8 months ago

Oh, come on, surely we can come up with something more original??? Jeez.

How about Power Towels? Big Jay could play a guitar and Todd could remind everyone to remember their power towels and bring them to every game...

gardenjay 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Pinkels, this could backfire, and it most certainly says KU is a knockoff of other schools.

Cody Stumma 10 years, 8 months ago

They should aim it at the new hotel that is being built.

namder 10 years, 8 months ago

Or maybe we could follow K-States lead. Back in the 70's they had the "Rah Rag". How catchy. Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Leiker 10 years, 8 months ago

Agreed Pinkel...typically I've seen cannons at D-II schools. Fort Hays, Sterling College, places like that.

phoenixforce 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't want them to keep it around. We don't need to show how uncreative we are by adopting a cliche.

Of course if they keep the cannon, they could use it on kickoffs to drown out the uncreative kickoff chant...

But in all honesty, we're better than a cannon.

rgreene 10 years, 8 months ago

Prepare for a noise afternoon ... Duke is wretched.

sdoyel 10 years, 8 months ago

As long as it has live rounds and is aimed towards Missouri....

shelleysue 10 years, 8 months ago

I think it's fine considering it's Armed Forces Day. But after that it's gotta go.

adtgolf 10 years, 8 months ago

Seriously? For Armed Forces Day, I can see that one sliding through just as the flyovers are great as one time events. But anything after that.... A few years ago at KU/MU game in Columbia, they fired that thing off (even after field goals) and it was the most unoriginal, obnoxious, annoying, and irrevelant piece of game day fodder I had ever experienced first hand. What's wrong with our understated bell (a KU icon nonetheless) as it tolls for the opposition? We have the chant of all chants, and a unique, rhythmic marking of our opponents' downfall which as I remember, never got old against Nebraska.

kranny 10 years, 8 months ago

I hope to be deaf after the game. GO HAWKS!

LaurenHays 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with adtgolf, why would we want to do anything that mizzou does? The mizzou game I went to was awful, and that canon is forever etched in my mind as representing mizzou. For one day it's fine, but please not for every game!

JayCeph 10 years, 8 months ago

Mizzou uses an oblong brown ball that they try to get into the end-zone following a series of downs not to exceed 4 at any given time during a possession. Should we stop doing this too?

jwliddell - I'm with you on this. Could be fun. Why fuss about something as innocuous as this?

Rivethead 10 years, 8 months ago

I love the idea!. Whenever I watch the National Felons League on tv, I always try to watch the Tampa Bay home games so I can follow Talib and hear their cannons go off everytime they score. It's frickin' exciting.

Kyle Rohde 10 years, 8 months ago

Please please be a one time thing. Cannons are silly for every game. How about using the steamship whistle (the one used for end of class) for scores?

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

So, here's a thought. We just hook up some live rounds and fire them at:

1. Columbia.
  2. That ugly new metal building by AFH.
  3. My ex-wifes location. I can provide ROTC with lat/long.
  4. Manhattan.
  5. If it can be fired to cover that stupid assed waterboy cheer.

Otherwise, I just hope the Hawks aren't shootin blanks on Saturday.

Eric Williams 10 years, 8 months ago

While we're on the topic of rip offs...

Can we please stop doing the 2 following things:

1. It's NOT the Home of the Chiefs...I don't care how much money your parents pay to live in Overland Park.

2. Stop with the Gator-modified-Beak-em-Hawk. Everyone knows it's the same Gator chant with the Star Wars music.

Everything else I love.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

wells, 6. Can we fire AP voters who voted Kansas no in the top 25 Also ?

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

Nice add wayward! Stay tuned, I bet some clever others can craft some nice additions as well.

No. 7. Memphis style BBQ!

Sorry memhawk!

vmwskywalk 10 years, 8 months ago

I like the idea as well. Plus, I like loud noises. In fact, I think we should go a step further. Attach the head or the entire body of the opposing mascot to the barrel of the cannon. That could be cool.

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 8 months ago

Is there going to be a fly-over? One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed was 3 or 4 years ago when a Chinook, double-bladed, helicoptor flew over Memorial Stadium. It entered from the north, flew straight up, then barrel-rolled down and flew back out towards the north. They had the bay doors open and it was piloted by KU alum. I just remember being amazed that a helicoptor could pull off such a feat. Does anyone else remember this??

johnrigginsmohawk 10 years, 8 months ago

A cannon can be described as many things, but innocuous is not one of them. We are KU... we win, wave the wheat, and are classy. No need for it. Crossing my fingers this gets axed after Saturday.

kansas22 10 years, 8 months ago

This is no big deal. I personally think it's okay for Saturday's game because it is Armed Forces Day, but after that it should be gone. I'm already in love with the haunting bell that resonates after every touchdown as we wave the wheat. But if the cannon sticks around, I'll support it instead of sitting around and whining about how it shouldn't be here like I'm thinking some people will. This is just a small change anyways so it shouldn't cause that much of a stir I'm hoping.

kansas22 10 years, 8 months ago

Oh and yes, flyovers are awesome! More flyovers (especially for big games like OU, Nebraska, and Mizzou) would be absolutely fantastic. I do remember that helicopter flyover as well, but I think I like the jet flyovers more. Either way, any flyover is better than none!

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 8 months ago

Agreed kansas22. I'd like to see a fly-over every home game, but if we have to choose, we need to save it for the big games. Although, it is Armed Forces Day. Keep your eye to the sky.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

If you want unique, line up 21 cannons for a formal salute. If you want memorable, use live ammunition and aim at rival mascot dummies. If you want productive, aim for Fraiser Hall. If you want hilarious, use water balloons. If you want true Jayhawk Spirit, forget the cannons and beat the living crap out of Duke!!!

KUbsee69 10 years, 8 months ago

I just remembered we already have the carialon bell chime after FB scores. I hope the cannon does not negate that. You can even hear it on radio and TV broadcasts.

cwag 10 years, 8 months ago

They used to fire off a mortar (fireworks style) after touchdowns in the 60s and 70s. Of course, those were all day games.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

KUwells, make sure you coordinates are in DD.MM.MMM format and don't forget the elevation.

Since no one else said it, FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK...CHALK!!!!

I was all set to do a fighter flyover at a KU-NU game a few years ago and some moron at the Pentagon denied at the last minute just because they already had B-2 flying over that day (which we had coordinated with). We landed in Topeka with 6,000 pounds of gas that was meant to rock Memorial Stadium. We lost that day, no wonder.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

For helo fly-bys, the only one I remember was the Blackhawks that did last year's KState game. It was about as bad as it gets - they showed up a full two minutes after the national anthem was over. Pathetic.

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

Strikewso:

For accuracy, how about I laser it in? I would like to make sure!

F-15 I presume??? ANG?

Also, do you not do enough tri service training to know the Army shows up 2 minutes late for most everything.

Thank you for your service.

Rock chalk!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

How about having retired military personnel recognized who are in attendance? They could register before the game and be chosen to help fire the cannon after each KU score. It would be an honorary gesture that would mean more than just hearing the cannon fired. Plus, it wouldn't result in saving whatever it costs the government to provide a flyover. I could live without knowing that probably tens of thousands of dollars were spent on a visit from aircraft that need to stay on the ground and kept in condition to be used for their intended purpose. No offense Strikewso, hope you understand my position.

Idea # 2 Load up the Howitzer with those new turkey legs and have a contest to see who can recover the most.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

correction:

"....it WOULD result in saving whatever it costs the government..."

(just trying to pad the 1,000,000 post contest!)

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 8 months ago

What if they fired a naked chick out of the cannon every time we scored.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 8 months ago

Or better yet what if we fired a bust of Gary Pinkels head out of the cannon everytime we scored.

Pinkels_Visor 10 years, 8 months ago

This is way off the subject, but has anyone else noticed that whenever they have a t-shirt toss at Memorial it's ALWAYS and ONLY in the student section? My nephew and I joked about it all the time. C'mon, they get enough free t-shirts applying for all of those credit cards at Wescoe beach. The first year I became a season ticket holder (2003?) they gave away the "Pure Kansas" shirts. How about a free t-shirt, Lew? I want a return on my Williams Fund "donation" every year. Not asking for much.

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

Load up the howitzer with turkey legs. Nice!

Larry Smith 10 years, 8 months ago

Pinkel,

I think they only do the t-shirt toss in the student section. But, they also hand out thousands of shirts at the gates before they do the toss. I know they did at the NCU game.

kvskubball 10 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkinmullen

Is the bust of Pinkel the one with his finger up his nose picking that booger on live tv?

A cannon?

Why?????????????????

If for Armed Forces Day, ok, otherwise, very cheesy, copycatish.............

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 8 months ago

kvskubball,

I think that would be Chase Daniels bust. They should seriously rename the Missouri Tigers to the Missouri Booger Eaters. Or has the joke already been said on here.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

njjayhawk -

Are you serious about the KSU TD celebration?

I'm going to youtube right now to see if there is anything posted about this.

Jeff Worthington 10 years, 8 months ago

I wish they would shoot it off after our kickoffs, maybe it drown out the d-bags in the student section chanting "RHFHO."

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

Couldn't find any video of the manure spreader celebration.

However, I did find the most pathetic video highlighting KSU tailgating. What a bunch of hillbillies! I bet most Div.II schools have more impressive tailgating at their games than these yokels. Watch this...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewyLjFlfv5s

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkinmullen:

How exactly is anything better than shooting a naked chick out of the howitzer?

I've been to a KSUck game. They celebrate scores by kissing their sisters, I mean dates. We'll they are one and the same, but you know.

I have an idea for after scores. How about we do something unique like putting both hands in the air and moving them back and forth, left then right. Like simulating wheat blowing in the wind while the band plays a catchy tune? 50,000 doing that at the same time would be cool.

Memhawk: think of those flyovers as how the government markets the armed forces to persective recruits. It is rare for the DoD to be able to reach so many at one time as can be accomplisged with a flyover. Just one potential recruit saying "holy crap, that was cool. I think I'll sign up now" makes it worth the investent.

Typically, a flyover is conducted by assets from a reserve base close to the stadium which is done in conjunction with training/readiness exercises that are already being conducted that weekend.

I personally like the sound of a fighter plane ripping over a stadium, especially with the afterburners kicking!

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Ill never forget the Illinois Ohio State game I took in at Illinois..... They had a fly over there...it was pretty awesome....

Halftimne score was 56-0 Penn State.... God love the big 10 (11)

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

Memhawk, I understand your opinion, but I don't think flybys are really that big of a waste of taxpayer money. They are a huge recruiting tool, and the aircraft that conduct the flybys almost always do it in conjunction with some other training. It's also a challenge to work the timing to arrive right at the last note of the national anthem, so in itself the flyby is good training.

Besides, people have a innate curiosity and interest in the majesty of flight, and the flybys are a great tradition to showcase what we as a nation have accomplished. Kuwells - F-15E, active duty, and laser guided works just fine.

pburgstu 10 years, 8 months ago

First off all Sterling is Not DII Fort Hayes, Washburn, Pittsburg St. and Emporia St. are also Don't be raging on them to much cause I bet Washburn and Pitt could of Played Northern Colorado close probably would of won. D2 teams beat DI-AA teams 50-40 percent of the time especia Playlly if they play in the MIAA

Fire the Cannon but I like the lightning strike Alla Marcus Herford vs Baylor

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 8 months ago

memhawk,

Thanks for the link, absolute animals. I felt as though I was watching the discovery channel real late at night, disgusting. On a brighter note though did you hear they were building a zoo in Manhattan. Yes it will be the biggest zoo in the world. They are going to put a fence around the entire city. Wa wa wa old joke but a classic.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 8 months ago

kvskubball (anonymous) says...

jayhawkinmullen

Lol....Pinkelsvisor a true dbag.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

Uh oh!

Intruder alert!

We've had cretins from Mizz, KSuck, Nebr, and even Memphis dare to enter our world here.

A Dookie was bound to join us eventually. oskiejackie must not have access to the KU football stats from the last few years. This is a grudge match even though it's our first meeting in football.

The howitzer will be smokin' tomorrow, count on it!

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

How about we fire oskiejackie out of the cannon?

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

strikewso - If that equipment is truly being ordered to be in the air anyway, not a problem (unless the are named in anyway as you said your plane had some name connection to Okla.)

kuwells - I don't necessarily agree that if one new recruit is generated because of a 30 second flyover, any taxpayer money spent would be justified. I also don't agree that the cannon should fire at Memphis style BBQ, as you commented earlier! Now, take that back! We've already established that you went to the wrong place in Memphis for BBQ. Keep an open mind brother.

jayhawkinmullen - Yeah, that video was so weak. did you see the guy with three burgers cooking on his grill? Now, that's what I call tailgating! And, the guy who tripped as he was walking up the steps getting on that party bus with a curbside couch on it! And Bill Snyder wanted to come back to this sty!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

Wells,

No need, the final score itself will accomplish the same effect!

Bob Thompson 10 years, 8 months ago

I think we should take the cannon to the KU B-ball game. Then they could fire it every time we made a basket.......

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

memhawk. OK, OK, sorry. I meant shoot Memphis style BBQ out of the cannon into the crowd! And some Arthur Bryants...

And I think the OKLA plane connection is boomersooner26. I think he's a C-17 pilot at Altus AFB, but not sure... Don't know where strikewso is located. I cant think of an active duty F-15 base at the moment... Unless he is running some renegade operation out of RGAFB!

Josh Freeman 10 years, 8 months ago

I think this idea is horrible. Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't be against using the cannon one game a year to honor our armed forces. Using it every game, every year would really piss me off. Please don't do this.

Love,

the vast majority of the KU fanbase

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 8 months ago

How about a fly-over with a dozen or so unmanned drones with laser-guided hellfire missiles pointed at oskiejackie? On second thought, that would probably trample that whole "freedom of speech" thing....not to mention being a little cruel. I'll settle for a dozen or so cannon firings when the "Hawks light up the scoreboard!!!

jahawkdave 10 years, 8 months ago

The cannon is hack! Do it in honor of armed forces of course, at one game a year. A lot of schools do it and KU should be more original. We live in CO and have season tix to Colorado State and they shoot a cannon after scores. My kids spend the entire game covering their ears in fear of the next blast. It is annoying!

At KU we wave the wheat, there is nothing better being in Memorial with 50,000+ waving the wheat, it isn't going to be complemented by a cannon blast. See you in Folsom in Oct. kicking CU's *** and waving the wheat many many times.

Please NO cheesy cannon at memorial!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

Wells -

I believe you're correct. "Plus, I don't think that guy was flying fighters since I remember him talking about the size of his crew. Probably a cargo of some type. Can't fit too many guys in a 15 or most fighters!

Kevin Long 10 years, 8 months ago

What's so wrong with it?? I don't remember the bells at the first game and I loved that. Might as well make some real noise! I know a lot of you wouldn't want any thing to disturb your peace though, come on!

frid22 10 years, 8 months ago

In regards to the flyovers, those are army/air guard units that have to fly for drill weekends anyway so it doesnt cost tax dollars that dont have to be spent anyway on training.

In regards to the howitzer, alot of D1 schools do the cannon after touchdowns. Why is it so bad to have some ROTC kids shoot off a cannon? Does seeing army uniforms make this liberal town that butt hurt? seriously, get a life

TrueBlue92 10 years, 8 months ago

I have it on great authority that the Jayhawk GM from Tampa Bay will be onsite for about 3/4 of the game before shuffling off to Buffalo.

Play Strong, Jayhawks!!

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 8 months ago

I went to the OU game in Norman last year. The cowboys shooting those big guns was cool at first but they were annoying before the pregame parade was even over. They were at the other end of the stadium during the game and it still was annoying (but maybe because they had the opportunity to shoot'em so often).

I'm all for the cannon at Armed Forces Day because it celebrates the bravest of country's men and women but that's enough.

Ryan Shelton 10 years, 8 months ago

How about we have a B-1 on standby just outside of town. Every time we score and kick off afterwards, have the B-1 roar overhead to drown out the Waterboy chant.

Todd Conner 10 years, 8 months ago

MU doesn't have a 75mm Howitzer though. Cool for a game, maybe a few if it's a BIG game, but not every game.

AverageCitizen 10 years, 8 months ago

The cannon? Unoriginal and annoying. Hate it, hate it , hate it! (Fine for Armed Services day, one time a year)

Frid 22- It has NOTHING to do with seeing army uniforms. It has everything to do with tradition and our unique brand. Keep the bells.

that_guy 10 years, 8 months ago

Bring the cannon to every game, use it early and use it often. Say what you will about knock offs, imitations, whatever you want. The bells are not going anywhere, waving the wheat is not going anywhere, the rock chalk chant is not going anywhere. This is an addition to the atmosphere, not a distraction. When a big recruit goes to the big time Big XII South schools, he hears the cannon. When he comes to Lawrence, he hears the cannon and watches the wheat wave. Quit being babies about this, this is a good thing.