Thursday, September 17, 2009

KUsports.com staff’s Week 3 college football picks

The following are the Journal-World/6Sports staffers' picks for Week 3 of the college football season.

Week 3 games
Duke at Kansas
Kansas State at UCLA
Wyoming at Colorado
Nebraska at Virginia Tech
Iowa State at Kent State
Georgia at Arkansas
Off-the-wall Question: What professional athlete do/did you love to hate?

Matt Tait

Colorado 28-20
Virginia Tech 21-20
Iowa State 2-0
Arkansas 33-31
Question: Alex Rios

Overall standings
Eric Sorrentino 8-4 (.667)
Kevin Romary 8-4 (.667)
Dugan Arnett 8-4 (.667)
Tom Keegan 7-5 (.583)
Gary Bedore 7-5 (.583)
D.J. Whetter 7-5 (.583)
Jesse Newell 7-5 (.583)
Matt Tait 7-5 (.583)

Comments

kvskubball 10 years, 8 months ago

Gary...

Iowa St. score? Really? 2-0??? Do you have baseball on your mind???

Unfortunately for the Big XII, I have to agree that VTech punches the corneaters, or maybe throws them for a loop or two or three.

Jesse, MaxHawk is correct, Duke got 2 picks for TD's in about 15 seconds....Unless KU comes into the game fat and happy, then the KU-Duke game should be over by the middle of the 2nd quarter. With plenty of introduction time in the 2nd half for our new crew of Pick, OP, and McD! I hope if the game blows big-time that the students will hang around and watch the exciting youngsters that will have star roles very soon!

I'd also come really close to picking Wyoming at the Buffs...The coach set himself up big time with that 10 win season comment. This game (only the 3rd of the season) is already make or break for him (0-2)! Too bad, he did a great job at Boise State, but picked a bad time to take on reclamation of the Big XII doormats in Boulder! If the fans will cool it, he will build a winner (certainly not this year, but give him 2 more years, and Colorado will be a tough out), he's a great recruiter and coach, but his son is NOT that good of a QB. Turn the page!

bg_duck1 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with the other 2 posters why is everyone in agreement dook will score at least 2 tds? I say our D gets our first shutout of the year!

bg_duck1 10 years, 8 months ago

Also kstate has 21 and 15 points against umass and LA layfaette (sp?), respectively, there is no way they go into the Rose Bowl (albeit ucla's not a great or even pretty good team) and get more than 2 fg's.....and they will probably miss them both hahaha

rcjh22 10 years, 8 months ago

Jesse - KU only winning 38 -20? Seriously?

troutsee 10 years, 8 months ago

Nebraska will be lucky to score against VT. Here's hoping NU gets creamed.

Billy Derringer 10 years, 8 months ago

yes they did the first coloum mate tate did ---ks will be going to the sec. string by the middle of the 3rd quarter--and i loved the trick play at the begining of the game last week lateral to kerry and deep to dez was a thing of beauty

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

njjayhawk,

"...as Neuheisel wants to compete for the LA spotlight with USC..."

He has no chance. When it comes to football out here it's all USC all the time, and it's as ridiculous and annoying as it sounds. But I suppose that's what happens when the 2nd biggest city in the country has no professional football team.

Well, a legal one anyway.....

Scott Smetana 10 years, 8 months ago

No love for the Broncos... although I'm no fan of Cutler either.
Go Orton and the Broncos!! Wait... Orton stinks. Wanna trade for Cassell? If Wyoming wins at Boulder, the coach Gary is fired a day later.

sdoyel 10 years, 8 months ago

KANSAS 45-14

UCLA 26-13

WYOMING 23-20

VTECH 27-20

ISU 27-17

GEORGIA 21-17

BRANDON MARSHALL

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 8 months ago

I think the Nebraska offense will be in for a shock. VT is an outstanding defensive team and Nebraska has seen no one with even half as good of a defense as they have. There young QB is going to be running for his life. I would say VT wins 27-13

I hope Colorado loses because I don't want Hawkins to be there much longer bc like another poster said in a couple years he is going to have built a really good team. I would like to see him go before that so that KU can keep their dominance. I say Wyoming 20-16

Like people have already said I think KU will handle duke very easily. I think that duke may score on our second string or late when we get lazy. I would say we take it 38-6

ISU 24-21

Georgia 30-17

K-state will get beat but it wont be a whooping. I think they will come in and scare UCLA but then the bruins will regain composure and take the game with a 28-13 win

67Hawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I think you guys are disrespecting the KU defense...I'd be surprised if Duke scores mroe than 10 and they will only score 27 if their number 2 QB (who lit up Army) will light up our 3rd string! In fact, trying to figure out how they can score 27 is a waste of time. Not happening!

sdoyel 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm saying of the 14, Duke scores a late-4th qtr. TD against the 2nd string.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 8 months ago

The better the Big XII north is the better KU will need to be to stay on top of the BCS numbers. If the north was stronger a couple of years ago we might have been looking at a championship game. Mediocrity sucks, the rest of the north needs to step up and we need to stay on top.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 8 months ago

kvskubball, it doesn't take much to realize Gary was kidding.

Best case scenario for the B12 is for Nebraska to take care of Va Tech, Miami beating Va Tech, and OU pounding Miami. I root for KU first but it doesn't bid well to win the B12 if everyone thinks it's in a down year. The national media has been dishing some dissin' so far.

Rivethead 10 years, 8 months ago

Why are people disrespecting our "2nd string" defense?

We rotate 8 guys on the DL. We rotate a bunch of bodies in the secondary too. And I doubt Coach Mangino pulls the starting LBs because of all the areas on D, the LBs need the most reps.

Guys like Richard Johnson Jr, Jamal Greene, Travis Stephens, Jeff Wheeler, Steven Foster, Lubbock Smith, Phillip Strozier....those are our "second string" and those kids are pretty darn good.

Rivethead 10 years, 8 months ago

KanFan27: you insinuate that Hawkins needs to be fired or he'll impact our dominance.

I don't think you've been paying attention. Coach Mangino is a better recruiter than Hawkins. He develops players better than Hawkins does. He's the only person on the planet that's won both the National Coach of the Year and the National Assistant Coach of the Year awards.....Hawkins can't even sniff that either.

So why the concern?

Gary Bedore 10 years, 8 months ago

You all should all add your own picks in the form of comments and compare them to ours. One of you could do a master scoreboard to see if any of you are beating us. I'd do the scoreboard but I'm too busy (gotta make an excuse of some sort, right?). Yes I was kidding on the 2-0 score. Little joke. That matchup didn't really intrigue me.

d_prowess 10 years, 8 months ago

KU line right now is KU +23.5. Only 3 of the guesses here think Duke will cover...

troutsee 10 years, 8 months ago

Who cares about the B-12? I cannot ever and will not ever root for Nebraska, or OU, or MU, or KSU, or TU or any of them. Heck, we have to recruit against them. OU and TU will always be way up there in the rankings. Why wish them well? Same for NU. No matter how they do against other foes, we are going to have to beat them to gain national respect and to do that consistently, we are going to have to out-recruit them. Root for them???....NEVER....EVER.....EVER!!!!

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 8 months ago

I was not saying that Hawkins is a better coach than ours. I was just saying that he is building a solid program. KU does not have the best team in the country right now but we do have a better coach than some of those teams. I know very well that Mangino is outstanding at evaluating talent and developing it, but the talent even he knows is the best does not always pick us. Mangino can pick out diamonds in the rough better than any coach in the nation but in a few years I'm saying that Hawkins may be able to just pick out some straight diamonds. Even if he stays and does that I still think KU will be on top but Colorado would become a real challenge. I'm not hating on Mangino or our recruits I think we are incredible but Colorado might really develop under Hawkins if he is given the time.