Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Improved food choices await KU fans this season

Salty Iguana, Bigg’s aim to enhance fans’ experience at games

Hungry KU fans will have some new choices on the menu boards at games this year, including foot-long brats, black bean burgers and barbecue turkey legs.

New choices awaiting KU fans at Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse are likely to make your mouths water.

Salty Iguana, Bigg’s BBQ and a host of upgraded, but traditional fare will grace the menu boards at Kansas University sporting events this year.

Kansas Athletics signed a new concessions contract this year with Centerplate, an east-coast business that handles concessions for several professional and college teams, including the Kansas City Chiefs.

The company has brought in the two local restaurants to serve concessions at football games, while also adding foot-long brats and additional vegetarian items to appeal to a wide range of fans.

But those specialty items — foot-long brats, for example, and a chili cheese hot dog — cost $6 or $7. Other prices range from a $3 bag of peanuts to a $7 personal pepperoni or cheese pizza from Pizza Hut. A 32 oz. souvenir cup of soda costs $4.

Centerplate officials said that vegetarian options include a black bean burger and a veggie wrap . Upgraded basketball choices will include gyros, hummus and gourmet coffee available at Allen Fieldhouse.

Jim Marchiony, associate athletics director, said expanding food choices were a part of the negotiations with potential vendors during the past year, though specific menu choices were left to the concessionaire.

Centerplate signed a 10-year contract earlier this summer to provide concessions at KU athletic events. Though a specific dollar amount was not negotiated, Centerplate will take a majority of the profits earned.

“We definitely wanted to expand our culinary horizons,” Marchiony said.

He said, so far, he’s heard positive feedback from fans after the first football game with the new offerings — specifically about the new turkey legs from Bigg’s BBQ.

“From the reaction that we’ve received, we think Centerplate has done exactly that (improved the fan experience), and done it well,” Marchiony said.

Centerplate took over concessions from Mid-America Concessions, a local company that held the contract since 1990. Centerplate company will work with local groups including churches and other non-profits, and estimated that those organization would raise more than $225,000 this year.

Centerplate also added biodegradable food service items and added recycling options around the stadium.

Comments

KUSmurf 10 years, 2 months ago

$3 for a bag of peanuts? What is the world coming to?

Kent Wells 10 years, 2 months ago

Hot diggity damn. BBQ! Yahoo. And all y"all that made fun of the BBQ post should be ashamed!

sdoyel 10 years, 2 months ago

Comparable to the other ripoffs in the sports concessions world. At least it's going to KU. 7 bucks for a pizza you can eat in 3 bites is nuts.

e93bigd 10 years, 2 months ago

Any time you're part of a captive audience, you're going to pay ridiculous prices - sporting events, movie theaters, etc. At least they are giving you something better than luke warm hot dogs and stale popcorn like when I was there.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 2 months ago

Turkey legs?

Maybe it's just me. But, our mascot is a bird, you know!

That's like if Colorado were to sell Rocky Mountain Oysters at their games, sort of.

Katie Van Blaricum 10 years, 2 months ago

I don't know what this article is talking about. I was MAJORLY disappointed with my food at the first football game. I did not see any food from the Salty Iguana, and the nachos I had were horrible. I say this with extreme sadness, since, as a female, nachos are really the only reason I get out of bed in the morning and drag myself to sporting events. Nachos at the football and basketball games used to be the BEST! Like, 10 years ago and more. I know people were upset when they switched to the little bags of Tostitos in their nacho trays, but really, once you opened that bag up, there were lots of chips in there, and they were good. The ones I had last Saturday were stale and nasty. The cheese dip had no taste, except that similar to cardboard. It was truly a sad day at the stadium. Please, KU Athletics, do something about this! Try the nachos for yourself and see what you think.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 2 months ago

If you don't like the prices eat and drink before you go into the game it's pretty simple.

lenexa35 10 years, 2 months ago

Nachos $3.50 for about 15 chips, after waiting in line for 10 minutes, then the jalapenos were empty, I didn't feel like waiting in line another ten minutes to ask for jalapenos. I was soooo ticked. Glad also that their are now vendors walking around selling cotton candy and other crap for $5. I get to listen to my 5 and 3 year old. This totally takes away from the good old college football atmosphere!

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

jaybate news service:

Bulletin: Dateline Lawrence, KS--Mass violence has reportedly broken out in this peaceful midwestern college town tonight, after KUAD reported that Mongolian barbecue, and not conventional American barbecue, will be served at Allen Field House this coming season. At least three hundred persons have been reported seriously injured and over 3,000 have been reported to have sustained minor injuries, when angry protesters brandishing Daddy Sam's Bone Suckin' Good Sauce bottles descended upon Potters Lake and emptied the bottles into the pond in protest of KUAD's cost cutting move to sell frozen Mongolian style barbecue the Mongolian region of China. Potters Lake reportedly now looks as red as Tillman Creek in the Battle of Shiloh. Protesters say what triggered the violence was the discovery that the frozen Mongolian barbecue was trucked into Lawrence from a Mexican port of entry out a Richards Gebaur Airforce Base. Intrepid KU students then hacked into the computer center of the truckline, Missouri Worst Freight, used to deliver the frozen Mongolian barbecue, and were able to discern the path of shipment of the frozen food. The Mogolian barbecue was shipped up the super corridor from old Kelly Airforce Base on the outskirts of San Antonio. Kelly Airforce Base is now entirely occupied by the Republic of China, flies a Chinese flag, and has security provided by the Chinese Army. The frozen Mogolian barbecue reached Kelly via rail from the south, originating at the rail head and port town of Ixtapa, Mexico. The frozen Mongolian barbecue had recently been shipped across the Pacific Ocean on a refrigerated cargo ship flagged in Panama and with the name "Ulan Bator Rose."

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Ulan Bator is als the capital city of Mongolia. It is believed the frozen Mongolian barbecue was believed loaded onto the Ulan Bator in Shanghai harbor. Before that, the frozen Mongolian barbecue was transhipped over land in refrigerated tractor trailers across China's longest road stretching form Shanghai northwest across China to the Mongolian frontier. It is believed that border guards were bribed to let the frozen Mongolian barbecue pass out of the country. jaybate news service stringers in Ulan Bator trace the frozen barbecue to Pa Wong's Central Asian Steppe Fed Beef, Pork and Dog Barbecue in suburban Ulan Bator. jaybate news service contacts deep within the US Drug Enforcement Administration indicate that the owner of Pa Wong's is none other than Pa Wong Shenji, an Asian barbecue king pin, known to run the largest illegal barbecue-trafficing organization in the world. Some CIA officials, speaking only on super deep background, indicate that the Pa Wong barbecue-trafficing organization may now be the world's large meta-barbecue-trafficing cartel.

Pa Wong Shenji spoke to the jaybate news service only through intermediaries and would say only this: "We at Pa Wong's believe the world will run more smoothly, and with less risk of war, if a global barbecue cartel were formed to standardize barbecue all over the world." Violence in Lawrence is reportedly now spilling over into Desoto and Tonganoxie. Stay tuned.

Kent Wells 10 years, 2 months ago

Memhawk: no kidding on the turkey legs!

Bevo burgers or Buffalo burgers or the like. Even some kind of Chinese food from wildcats or that stupid yippy dog in College Station. But not turkey legs. Damn!

Heck, you can hide most of the other meats the rest of the schools are dishing up, you guessed it:

In BBQ!

Kent Wells 10 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate: seriously, how could you write that and NOT use the name: Long Duck Dong?

No more wanky my cranky, the Donger need food. The Donger need BBQ!

bayareajhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Those turkey legs are a bit like high class prostitutes. They look pretty good when someone else is holding them, but you don't really want to put your mouth on one.

Jeff Schartz 10 years, 2 months ago

I wish they had a buffet and a salad bar. Soup would also be nice, preferably in a bucket that you could hang around your neck.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 2 months ago

Did you read the part about gyros and hummus being upgrades that will be seen at AFH?

What mystery meat will be in the gyros? And the hummus could contain anything! Nice to see some attempt at diversity on the menus. But, if the quality of the nachos is like we've heard from fans, will it really seem like there have been upgrades to the new offerings? I hope they aren't planning some sort of theme food stands with their staffs dressing in costumes to match the cuisine. I don't know about waiting in line and buying hummus from somebody in a berkka. Also nervous about the guy selling it greek style, gyros?

Aquakej - If you have really good seats at AFH, and feel like you're only going to games for the nachos, and they're disappointing, I'll gladly make you some killer nachos and trade for those tickets. Sort of a Nachos for Tickets program, like the Cash for Clunkers deal.

Tim Quest 10 years, 2 months ago

It's called capitalism, folks. If the market says you can sell a bratwurst for $25, then by golly that's the value of a bratwurst.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 2 months ago

I was walking by the Salty Iguana set-up on the way out of the Northern Colorado game and they were basically abandoning their burritos. (I guess they made too many and didn't want to take them back to the restaurant) I grabbed a couple for the road. I have to say they were fairly tasty, but lacked that extra something that would qualify them as great. They didn't have any kind of salsa or fixin's on them, but I guess they were probably available during the game. That probably would have made the difference.

Tad Smith 10 years, 2 months ago

I had a turkey leg at the game, and it was delicious! And $4 for a 32 oz. drink is a pretty good deal for this type of venue.

JayCeph 10 years, 2 months ago

jaybate, I heard that the Korean BBQ cartel was trying to muscle in on the Mongolian stranglehold over the midwest by offering free tiger claws to pick your teeth with once you were finished eating.

jayhawk2062 10 years, 2 months ago

I generally like the changes. The prices are ridiculous, but then again, they are at any sporting event.

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

The most disappointing food I ever ate was one of those nasty turkey legs. I was expecting, oh I don’t know, actual meat on it. Sort of like the meat you find on the Thanksgiving Day turkey leg. Instead, it was all tendon, ligament, and gristle.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the “Look at me – I’m Henry the VIII!” feel of handling one of those monstrosities, but I was hoping for something better.
Does anyone know why these have so little actual meat on them?

kusarge 10 years, 2 months ago

My family is NOT happy with the food changes. And bring back pizza by the slice WTF?!

Seriously....hummus? I'll see you all at the games with our sweaters tied around our waist. Is this Chapel Hill or Lawrence?

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 2 months ago

I never understood why a sports event has to have so many food choices. For families coming to the game from out of town, okay, but for most of us football is all about tailgating and spending a day with our buddies in the sun before the game. There's nothing worse than being at a sports event next to that one guy or that little kid who has to eat something different every few minutes like he's been starved for the past week. Football games are 3 hours, basketball even less. All the concessions take away from the game. If you can't sit/stand for the length of a game without eating like a crazed hog twice every quarter maybe you should go to a restaurant and watch the game on tv. Nothing wrong with breaking the bank on a snack at halftime, but some people are just ridiculous.

Dan Cook 10 years, 2 months ago

aquakej wrote -- >>I did not see any food from the Salty Iguana, and the nachos I had were horrible. I say this with extreme sadness, since, as a female, nachos are really the only reason I get out of bed in the morning and drag myself to sporting events.<<

OK, that's just damn funny! FYI aquakej, Salty Iguana had 2 set-ups. One on the lower level was a pretty bad location in the northwest corner and I was told the other was upstairs somewhere. I saw a couple of girls eating some chips with what looked like that white Iguana dip, so maybe you should search that out Saturday.

I'm glad they're bringing more food options. Standard concession fare sucks in most cases. Don't think I'll try that Turkey leg though. I'm with Memhawk on that one.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

jaybate news service:

Bulletin: In what is now being termed the Great Lawrence Barbecue Revolt, over ten thousand students and as many as 50,000 Kansans from as far away as Leoti, KS, have converged on Lawrence, and surrounded, stormed and occupied the offices of KUAD.

Mass chants of "Ad Arthur Bryants Per Aspera," and "Give Us Roy's or Give Us Death," reputedly can be heard thundering throughout Lawrence and as far away as Jarbalo, KS.

Leaders of a radical group calling itself "The Anti-Quantrill Barbecue Liberation Army" have reputedly taken control of the angry mob and are presently training crowd members how to use BBQ Sauce bottles as weapons capable of knocking out M-1 Abrams tanks and up-armored HUMVEES. Still others are being trained to join rib bones together with links of chain and wield them as nun-chocks. "We Shall Overcome" has been heard in over 40 different languages so far.

There are reports beginning to emerge from Washington, D.C., that chickenhawk elements within the Obama Administration, FEMA, the Pentagon, the Surgeon General's Office, George Dubya Bush and his old buddie Brownie, are having NORTHCOM orchestrate the assemblage of over 150,000 USA, Canadian, Mexican, and Republic of China troops for rapid and decisive deployment to Lawrence to quell, what government disinformation specialists are already characterizing as, "a bunch of evil-doers threatening all that is good and sacred about the globalization of barbecue."

Pirate short-wave radio reports broadcast from inside Lawrence, which has already been placed under martial law and an NSA-controlled media black out, indicate USAF cargo planes are air-dropping dozens of microwave crowd control devices similar to those used in Fallujah, Iraq, in preparation for the massive projection of force in Lawrence by NORTHCOM, the NATO-like military organization in charge of all the military forces of the countries of North America.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 2 months ago

Now, somebody has been busy looking through stock photo files for turkey leg pictures! This morning,when this first appeared, there was no photo.

We can all tell that Nick Krug didn't take this photo. The lighting is all wrong and nobody with his skills would ever take a shot with no dimension or without any angle.

Maybe Centerplate got a sweet deal on a container of turkey legs and LJW is helping promote them.

All I can still think of is Big Jay or Baby Jay on crutches! Weird, huh?

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Resourceful rebels are trying to get the word out about what is happening in Lawrence by hooking the lap top PCs up to short wave radios with broadcast capability. Files transmit very slowly in very small packets by short wave, but authorities are finding it very difficult to jam all short wave frequencies all the time. Hence, news of events inside Lawrence continue to trickle out.

President Obama reputedly intends to address the people of the United States at 8 a.m. Eastern Standard time tomorrow to make clear the gravity and dire implications of the barbecue rebellion currently underway in Lawrence.

Deep background sources indicate President Obama will supposedly come before the cameras in the Oval Office and say that despite his roots in Kansas and empathy for Kansans about their barbecue, barbecue is today a vital national security issue; that he takes the barbecue revolt as a grave threat to world peace and global economic stability and that he can say no more about the subject without violating national security.

jaybate news service stringers have also learned from sources inside the Obama administration that the Great Lawrence Barbecue Revolt will likely be used as a justification for suspending constitutional government, declaring martial law across the United States and turning governance over the the FEMA Continuity of Government (COG) organization housed underground in a hermetically sealed complex of Airstream Trailers staffed with military professionals and Kelly Girls tasked with running America in time of a national emergency.

Several historians questioned, though willing to answer only on deep background, indicate this is the first time in recorded history that a barbecue insurrection has been used to rationalize suspension of constitutional process in a republic.

Developing...

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

jaybate news service:

Bulletin update--it is now rumored that the Great Lawrence Barbecue Revolt is a hoax and that there will be no mass deployment of troops and that President Obama, the Obama Administration, FEMA, the Pentagon, the Surgeon General's Office, George Dubya Bush and his old buddie Brownie, are not orchestrating NORTHCOM to project massive force up Lawrence.

the jaybate news service wishes to apologize for having to print this retraction, but the standards and ethics of unprofessional, amateur journalism and comedy require it. :-)

jayhawk2062 10 years, 2 months ago

There should be some serious thought given to limiting the comments/responses to a maximum. I'm sure we could make our points/comments in a more concise and efficient matter........example.......jaybate.

I also watched the Duke/Army game. If the Hawks are....who we think they are...(no offense to Denny Green) this game should be a 3 to 4 touchdown blood letting.

Go Hawks!

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawk2062,

If you are new to this site that is great but, I would like to educate you are out friend jaybate. I also made the mistake of calling out our beloved brother on how long his posts are. In fact I believe I said they were like books. Alas he does not give a crap. It never fails every post someone calls him out on how long his posts are and he keeps doing it sometimes though you will find a gem 99.9% of the time though it is absolute and utter bull s@*t. He is a good man though I can honestly say it took me awhile to get used to him but in time you will to. We all do it's kind of like that totally crazy uncle that everyone has eventually you just oh that's our Jaybate the beloved.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 2 months ago

Wow I really should have proof read that sorry.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawk2062,

After reading your post, I think there should be some serious thought given to increasingly drastically the minimum length of all posts. :-)

gardenjay 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawk2062 - How about constraining the postings to fit in Haiku format?

Mark Mangino Food Consists of Lots of Mascots Baked and Fried For Us

Terrible Posting Upon reading makes me sad It was my posting

Jaybate is verbose But why is that a concern? Jaybate likes football

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate's comment on BBQ was a masterpiece.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

gardenjay,

LOL!

You and OakvilleJHawk r da masters of Hoopku (haiku re KU hoops).

Long or short is fine Jayhawk flies to victory Ring in spring again

s6u6r6f 10 years, 2 months ago

yo jaybate...where do you score your weed?

Katie Van Blaricum 10 years, 1 month ago

Wow if there really was Salty Iguana white cheese dip at the games, I'd be set!! I will be sure to search that out this Saturday! Thanks, Jujubean!

MemphisMachine 10 years, 1 month ago

It's quite apparent that you guys smoke too much marijuana. BBQ joints comin' right away. lol!