Monday, September 14, 2009

Self hits recruiting trail

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self today will visit the Queens, N.Y., home of Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior shooting guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

Self last week visited Lamb at prep school in Virginia. Today, he will meet with Doron’s dad, Calvin, Rivals.com reports. Calvin Lamb has already visited with coaches from Kentucky and Arizona and on Tuesday will meet with coaches from Oklahoma.

Lamb, Rivals.com’s No. 21-rated player, has yet to schedule his campus visit to KU.

Meanwhile, Brandon Knight, the country’s top ranked player, will not visit KU for Late Night in the Phog as previously planned.

The 6-3 senior point guard from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has a conflict at school that weekend, thus is planning on rescheduling the KU trip. Rivals.com reports that Knight will visit Kentucky next weekend and UConn the following weekend. He also likes Duke, Florida, Miami and Syracuse.

Perry Ellis, a 6-8 sophomore forward from Wichita Heights, tells Rivals.com he’ll make an unofficial visit to KU on Saturday for the KU-Duke football game. Ellis has received scholarship offers from KU, Kansas State, Kentucky, Memphis, Oklahoma and Wichita State.

Comments

Dirk Medema 10 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully, he can hang out with the rest of the team in the middle of the student section

TheTruth08 10 years, 8 months ago

Read a story on Rivals about Brandon Knight's in-home visit with KU. Didn't sound like he was overly excited at all.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Who let Calipari into the state to recruit Ellis? We need to post signs at the state line. His kind isn't welcome.

David Hall 10 years, 8 months ago

Andy Hess 10 years, 8 months ago

dagger, the basketball team doesn't sit with the students. they sit with the recruits.

jhawk23 10 years, 8 months ago

"perry ellis has 3year be for he out of highschool so he will have time be for he will pick a college to go to"

WHAT?!

Matt Bowers 10 years, 8 months ago

jhawk23, maybe blackmild should write before he hits the black and mild! self always finds a way to bring in the top talent. there is nothing to worry about.

rock chalk

mwilliam 10 years, 8 months ago

I saw nothing in the Rivals article that would indicate the home visit was not a good visit. He, Brandon, did indicate that the KU coaches had good things to say. I don't think he could possibly say anything more without alienating the coaches that were yet to visit.

KUFan90 10 years, 8 months ago

Not good Brandon is missing Late Night. A missed opportunity for us.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

KUFan90 (anonymous) says... Not good Brandon is missing Late Night. A missed opportunity for us.

What? A missed opp for us? A missed opp for him. If he can't get his schedule organized, we'll find other talent. There's plenty to choose. You make it sound like the boy or girl that lost their date for the prom and there's no other boys or girls for the dance. We'll dance and we'll dance well !! In HCBS we trust...

100 10 years, 8 months ago

From all I've read in the Rivals article, the visit Coach Self had with Brandon Knight went just fine, if not even very well.

The fact that Brandon has a school conflict is no big deal -- there is nothing to get "mad" at Brandon on -- this is a matter if two possibilities:

1. He has a school conflict.

2. Coach Calipari is not stupid -- he knows if he has any power at all in this universe, and if there's any way at all he can keep any of his possible recruits away from Wilt Chamberlain palace on Naismith Drive, Oct 17th, then by God (!!!), HE WILL FIND A WAY!!!

In short if we've learned anything from Marcus Camby, Robert Dozier, or Derrick Rose, it is that if the Calimari TigerCats are in a recruiting battle with anybody, Cal will stop at nothing to make sure he brings in who he needs for his Rec team -- what do we think the Lexington TigerCats paid him $32 million bucks? To put it in his account?

Are you kidding me? Calipari knows more "handlers" than his mom knew boys in high school.

Let's put it this way, as long as he has a church to go confess his sins to (which he does he goes to Mass a couple times a week, once for weekend sins and once for weekday sins), then all is good in the hood with doing such things as shifting kids away from a life of normalcy & happiness.

kvskubball 10 years, 8 months ago

truehawk...

Come on, the kid has things to do as a kid at school. I don't think you should blast him for that, you're basically saying that he's got his priorities wrong. I think that the fact he is taking his school obligations, and maybe senior activities, seriously is a pretty good indication that his priorities are quite in order. That college basketball isn't the be all and end all of his existence kind of indicates to me that he just might be more of a student athlete, rather than an athlete only, as many bigtime ballers are!

If that is so, then he is the kind of player that Self and we KU fans should want, not blast!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 years, 8 months ago

I read the Brandon Knight article too... I didn't sense anything but a positive experience.

As for the Official Visits... He's going to Kentucky next week??? No basketball and a terrible football team... enjoy yourself!

Too bad he can't make Late Nite, but no big deal, in all my years at KU I loved the games more than Late Nite. How about a live Mizzery beating or KSUck whipping (both ESPN Prime Time games BTW).

Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

Per rivals.com, UK, KU and UCONN are the top three choices of Brandon.

Let's take the worst case [or best case depending on how you look at it] scenario for next year: Absolutely Gone - Cole, Sherron, Mario L. Highly Possibly Gone - Xavier, Tyshawn Not out of the Realm of Possibility Gone - CJ, Not likely But You never Know Gone - Marcus M.

That translates to SIX schollies and SEVEN roster spots....now does everyone see why HCBS is recruiting like a madman????!!!

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

The interesting thing about recruiting better and better players is that you need more and more of them, because the shelf life at KU is shorter and shorter.

At a certain point, a coach has to wake up in some motel room after an in-home and say, "let's see, I've landed the best bunch of recruits ever, and this means I have to work harder than I've ever had to work to replace them ASAP. WTF!"

Really too bad the system has come to this.

Great coaches who are great recruiters ought to not have to work more, because they are so good. They ought to have to work less.

Hey, NCAA, do something about this!!

Jeff Kilgore 10 years, 8 months ago

jaybate, you're right. Nobody likes the one and done biz. It's ridiculous. As far as who we recruit, who we get or don't get, it's fun, but I'm not losing sleep. Self will always attract good players, if not great players. He'll teach them more about basketball than most coaches, and we'll have a nationally ranked team year in, year out. Only four or five schools have the history, the prestige, or the coach. Smart kids, good kids get this. We land more than our fair share. The kids who don't join us find good schools too. If we lose Ellis, we lose Ellis. If we don't get Barnes, we don't get Barnes. I am only interested in the kids who are part of this year's team.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 10 years, 8 months ago

Very true jkilgore. I use to keep up with recruiting like crazy. I'd check 3 main websites everyday, and type sheets about possible recruits, and check them off once they committed to schools. Once more one and done players start coming, it just starts becoming less fun...

jayhwx3003 10 years, 8 months ago

i read that Knight has a school homecoming dance that night that he wanted to attend. You cant blame him, its his last high school homecoming event so i say boogie on my friend.

KUPROUD 10 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Perry Ellis' visit on the same weekend Duke is in town has anything to do with Duke's interest in him. Could it be that he might be planning to accidentally run into coach K, or another coach or the athletic director, eating a Big Mac at McDonalds in Lawrence? Probably not, but I'm just sayin....Conspiracy theory anyone?

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 years, 8 months ago

Guys,

I agree with the comments regarding the "One and Done" players but there is nothing that the NCAA can do, its an NBA issue. The NFL and MLB both have players association agreements (thus contracts with their respective league) that if you go to college, you are not eligible for their draft for 3 years. In the NFL, they have no choice but to be 3 years out of high school prior to entering draft.

The only possible thing the NCAA could do... to the best of my knowledge, is restrict their "Scout" guest passes to games. Not a very compelling deterrent.

I'm no NCAA lover... can't stand how they're refuse a NCAA D1 Playoff, but they are not the cause of the problem here. I can't stand the NBA!

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 8 months ago

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11,

"I'd check 3 main websites everyday, and type sheets about possible recruits, and check them off once they committed to schools."

That might be the dorkiest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I am laughing so hard right now. Wow you are a dork brother. P.S I love you man thank you for that.

100 10 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate,

If you get a moment during a waterbreak sometime in the midst of your great American novel, check the Lexington Herald out -- it is priceless stuff -- the UK conservative communtity & writers are up in arms about how Calipari sent Obama a Tigercat jersey.

UK fans are absolutely enraged that any head coach of their's would support Obama.

Alas if you look back a few Herald issues it gets even more angry writer gossip driven -- the writers & fans bicker back & forth over which UK coach had the worst & most embarrassing year -- Billy Gillespie(NIT, ran out of town by local press, a drunk & two DUIs), Rick Pitino (accused of rape, had sex with random woman at restaraunt, payed for abortion, went to mass to ask for forgiveness), John Calipari (accused of a variety of things, all the which are too slimey/ vague to go into or be proven by the NCAA, went to mass to try to get things good in the hood with the creator), or Eddie Sutton (DUIs a year ago, not to mention paying UK recruits $1000 cash 20 years ago).

Anyhow...

The UK fanbase is not too excited that the college basketball gossip, thanks to the hiring of Calipari when ("surprise, you mint drinkin/ tax slippin horse lovers, I'm your coach & our banners will not be taken down & I lied to you guys but now I'm telling you the truth that the NCAA is investigating my old school after I have thirty two million bucks from you guys thanks to Derrick Rose, WorldWide Wes & Robert Dozier!!!") he was being investigated, is now completely centered around UK coaches' behavior/ and or morals.

Better yet, there is the endless gossip about John Wall & if he will be the next Derrick Rose -- "did he really take his own test? Has he passed yet? Are we sure Calipari is clean on all of this?"

The worst is quite obviously the Obama situation for two obvious reasons:

1. Don't you give your jersey to the White House AFTER you win a championship when you get to visit? (is he prophecizing to his fans that something will not happen so he can at least say the White House got a jersey?)

2. Why alienate your fanbase? Was he really THAT dumb to not know the 50% of die hard UK fans that LOVED him absolutely, 100% are NOT lined up the same way he is, politically speaking, and I'm sorry to say, just in case you don't know Kentucky's dirty truth, believe me, Lexington is no Louisville, it's certainly no Memphis -- people are not seen as equal in Lexington, the painful rift of the past is especially deep and painful in this city -- surely he had to know this was an absolute deathtrap -- this city is a very sad place -- lots of concrete blocks with old chains still stuck to the ground. Did Calipari not talk to the 50% of his "fanbase" that wasn't freaked out by his hiring first?

In short from reading the Herald it has become quite apparent that Calipari had no idea "which" devil he signed the $32 million deal with -- it's gonna be a bumpy ride down there to the fire.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

100,

Great take. You are the Doctor of Substance when it comes to posting on this web site.

I would like to know what the literacy rate is in Lexington. Jiminy Christmas, if the LJW were pumping this much stuff out from a hypothetical KU cesspool, everyone from the governor to the janitor at Gertrude Sellards Pearson Hall would be outraged and the coach would be gone. Maybe no one in Lexington can actually read!

Or maybe its as corrupt as we suspect it is down there.

kvskubball 10 years, 8 months ago

Athlon and Lindy pre-season/annual bball mags are out to day!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 10 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkinmullen

Thanks man. I know, I felt like a douche bag doing it, but it was fun. I got a lot of laughs from my classmates too!

MemphisMachine 10 years, 8 months ago

Perry Ellis will commit to Memphis. His sister's a sophomore on the women's basketball team @ Memphis.