Sunday, September 13, 2009

How Keegan voted

The following is Tom Keegan's Sept. 13 ballot for the Associated Press college football poll.

1. Florida
20. Utah
21. Cincinnati
22. Oregon State
23. Houston
24. Oklahoma State
25. Georgia

Comments

Eric Williams 10 years, 8 months ago

Issues:

Dropping OSU from #5 to #24 Dropping USC from #3 to #4 when they beat #6 @ #6 Moving Alabama from #4 to #3 when they beat Florida International Jumping UCLA to #19 for beating a crappy Tennessee team Jumping North Carolina for "escaping" unranked Connecticut

John Percival 10 years, 8 months ago

I hate seeing the pot-shots these writers take for everything the write, but 613, you're on the money. Makes you scratch you head (or worse).

Kent Wells 10 years, 8 months ago

OSU fell from 5 to 24 because they lost at home to Houston. Houston! #5 has no business losing at home to an unranked team. They are lucky to still be ranked. Not as bad as Michigan losing to ASU, but...

For the overall poll, I just don't get why N is jumping so much further ahead. They have not performed that much better than KU. Can someone explain with something other than words that include "tradition" and "Osborne".

Just leaves them sawin' wood for respect.

100 10 years, 8 months ago

I like that Nebraska keeps jumping so many spots for no particular reason -- will only make for a bigger & better meeting when the time comes for the truth to come out in Lawrence.

For now we just need to get ready for Duke!

KGphoto 10 years, 8 months ago

613: I think you may be scrambling The AP with Keegan. Keegan's top 4 remained the same as his last vote.

And just to make you feel a little better, one of the reasons UCLA jumped on his poll was because he dropped Mizzou. Besides winning at Tennessee, even when they are slightly down is a big deal. Tennessee isn't terrible. Overall I think his rankings are pretty solid.

Craig Lang 10 years, 8 months ago

I have to agree that if OSU fell from #5 to #24 because it lost to Houston, then that would mean that you don't consider Houston to be that strong a team. But then I see you have included them in the poll as #23... So why should a team fall 19 spots after losing to another top 25 team? Also agree that USC does not deserve to drop after beating a top 10 team, nor does NC deserve to move up because it won on a technicality against a weak Big East opponent. The rest I am OK with. I also appreciate your transparency by sharing your AP vote and leaving it open to criticism.

Jarod Kilgore 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't think you guys are checking your logic. Keegan is following something that I think most of us criticize the AP for not doing. Because Houston is undefeated (2-0) and beat Okie State, it would make sense for Houston to be ranked ahead of OSU. Houston has had a good team for a couple years, and at this early point in the season they deserved to be ranked ahead of a team they clearly outplayed.

This isn't what AP writers usually do but I absolutely agree with at least that part of Keegan's rankings.

ShazzyD 10 years, 8 months ago

I totally agree with Pengune.

Why should Houston have to be ranked any less than Okie State when they beat them AT Stillwater?

Remember we only have a few games to go by, so drastically changing rankings is no big deal. The preseason rankings are all absurd, because no one has played a game yet. So once they do start playing games, you can't call it absurd to drop someone 19 places after a loss. The game they played this weekend showed they shouldn't have been ranked that high to begin with, so the large drop is not absurd at all. Its okay to self-correct. Tradition and preseason expectations are no excuse for letting losing teams linger at the top of the polls.

Good job, Keegan!

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 8 months ago

OSU dropped so much because they did not just lose at home but in the first half they were dominated at home by a weaker, non BCS team. Houston is good and am not saying anything bad about them but they are still not up to OSU talent level. Nebraska is going up faster because they are not hurting themselves. They are going up as others are going down. They have played pretty solid and have deserved their rankings. KU looked great on paper but in the actual game were a little shaky at times. They can do better and are not playing to their full potential and their rise in the polls is going a little slower. Its to be expected. USC did not play well against Ohio State. They won and yes it was in the Horseshoe, but they could have and honestly should have won by a lot more. It should not have been a final minute comeback. I realize that they are dealing with a young QB and so I dont think they deserved to be given praise and rising in the polls but for now they are where they should be. By the end of the season when their QB has more time and experience under him they will be dangerous. For now they are in an appropriate ranking. I do however think that UNC is ranked too highly. I dont think they deserve their ranking and am now hoping they lose to prove their weekness.