Sunday, September 13, 2009

Game balls and Gassers

Reader poll

Who was KU's MVP against UTEP?

• Maxwell Onyegbule 29% 427 votes
  • Jake Sharp 49% 724 votes
  • Daymond Patterson 1% 28 votes
  • Dezmon Briscoe 10% 159 votes
  • Jeff Wheeler 6% 90 votes
  • Other 1% 26 votes

1454 total votes.

Candidates for Game balls

• WR Dezmon Briscoe for making eight receptions for 154 yards in his 2009 debut.

• DE Jeff Wheeler for harassing the QB in his 2009 debut.

• CB/PR Daymond Patterson played a solid game defensively and gave KU good field position all night.

Candidates for Gassers

• C Brad Thorson for errant snaps in shotgun formation after taking the place of flu-ridden Jeremiah Hatch, who had trouble snapping the ball between hurls.

• KR Briscoe for fielding a kick headed out of bounds and then stepping out of bounds.

• PR Patterson for letting a couple of punts hit the ground.

Comments

Ryan Gerstner 10 years, 5 months ago

As much as it infuriates us when Patterson lets punts hit the ground, it's really got to infuriate Mangino. It really costs us a lot of field position. I'm surprised when don't put another returner up short to just fair catch short punts.

hoopsdr 10 years, 5 months ago

How is it possible for someone to receive a game ball and a gasser?

frompekka2sasha 10 years, 5 months ago

TWO people got a game ball and a gasser. I think Keegan might be a little too close to the team if he is worried about offending players.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 5 months ago

Patterson also had some great punt returns.

grandpa 10 years, 5 months ago

Our quarterback has received enough praise. He concentrates on Briscoe too much and throws to him when he is covered by three defenders. This means somebody else is open.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

I like the idea of a game ball and a gasser both going to the same player in one game. It shows the reality/humanity of the players, and IMO makes the "awards" a bit more light-hearted than otherwise they to be taken by some.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 5 months ago

I understood Mangino to say Thorson hadn't done any long snapping since high school, and they put him in because Hatch was sick. If I interpreted his remarks correctly, maybe this was just a little hard on Thorson.

notigers4me 10 years, 5 months ago

I thought the Hawks looked pretty good last night. Jake Sharp was, let's see what do I want to say. Well he was sharp. Reesing was decent and special teams were lacking to say the least.

John Percival 10 years, 5 months ago

You can give whatever you want if you're the dude who makes up the column.

JBurtin 10 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't say the special teams were particularly lacking.

I haven't seen coverage like in a couple of years.

As for returns, Patterson needs to learn to not run backwards in search of yards. Just take what you have open.