Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lineman has beef with Reesing

Rookie tackle Hawkinson wants steak … or Chinese

Offensive tackle Tanner Hawkinson was named to the 2010 preseason All-Big 12 team.

Having successfully protected the blindside of quarterback Todd Reesing for one week, Kansas University rookie left tackle Tanner Hawkinson would like to make clear that he is not opposed to a complimentary dinner courtesy of the senior signal-caller.

Steak would be fine, Hawkinson said following Wednesday’s practice, though he’s not picky.

“Lately, since I’ve put on so much weight, I’ve kind of dabbled in a lot of food,” said the McPherson native, who has gained more than 80 pounds since arriving in Lawrence last year as a svelte tight end. “So I’m pretty open to whatever. I’m kind of a big Chinese buffet fan — they have some good ones around town — but obviously steak’s always fine.”

The nerves of his collegiate debut now behind him, Hawkinson will look to keep the momentum going heading into the No. 24 Jayhawks’ weekend road matchup with Texas-El Paso. The red-shirt freshman said Wednesday he’s settling into his position nicely, having developed a certain appreciation for offensive-line play since taking over the new, less-glamorous role earlier this year.

“Offensive line … they don’t get a lot of credit, and it didn’t really seem like a big glory position,” said Hawkinson, who has worked at tight end, defensive end and offensive tackle in his first two years on campus. “At tight end, you catch balls, and on defense you make tackles. But it’s actually a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. It’s a one-on-one battle pretty much every play.”

For his part, Kansas coach Mark Mangino offered a seemingly positive review of the player’s first collegiate outing Wednesday: did some good things; did some not-so-good things; there’s always room for improvement.

“For his first college game, he had a satisfactory performance,” Mangino said. “We could win with his performance, and we did. Now, he has to continue to improve, and he has to continue to progress, because as we go, the competition will improve, as well.”

Dorsey unseats Blakesley at DT

With the exception of Dezmon Briscoe — whose academic troubles last spring led to a one-game suspension to start the season — the most glaring absence in the Jayhawks’ opening-day lineup was that of defensive tackle Caleb Blakesley, a senior and All-Big 12 honorable-mention selection last fall.

Wednesday, Mangino indicated that Blakesley’s demotion — he played in a backup role in last weekend’s victory over Northern Colorado and is listed No. 2 on the depth chart heading into Saturday’s game against UTEP — was strictly a result of performance, and not injury.

“He’s healthy,” Mangino said. “It’s performance.”

In his place, sophomore Patrick Dorsey has taken over the starting role, and, as far as Mangino is concerned, has been deserving of the increased workload.

“He’s undersized, but he deserves the playing time,” Mangino said. “... He plays harder than a lot of guys that have more talent than him. He really does. He gives effort, and that’s why we have him out there.”

Mangino: Woods not ready to make an impact

The offseason signing of junior transfer Quintin Woods was seen as a move that would immediately bolster a defensive line that, heading into 2009, was making a point to put more pressure on the quarterback.

Woods, a long, lean defensive end who originally signed with Michigan out of high school, seemed to excel at precisely that, but so far this season, he hasn’t warranted a significant role on the defensive line.

“His progress has not been what I’d like,” Mangino said of Woods, who played in a backup role Saturday and didn’t record a tackle. “There’s a lot of competition at D-end here, and right now he is not in a position to make an impact for us. He has got to get himself on the practice field in a position to make an impact. We’ll play him in the game a little bit, but we’re not going to play him a whole bunch of snaps until he proves he’s ready to do that.”

Comments

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

Your title implied that Lineman already HAD steak with Reesing. Crimony.

Here are some more better titles:

"Lineman would like a Beef with Reesing" "Beef with Reesing Hoped For By Lineman" "Future Beef with Reesing A Possibility" Dreams Lineman "Lineman Steaks Future with Reesing" "If I have a Beef, I Hope Reesing Will Purchase It" Lineman Emotes "Pork, Chicken and Fish are also OK with my Beef with Reesing" States Lineman

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

"More better" titles?

Goodness Garden, you critique a decent play on words using that kind of grammar?

On a better note, is anyone going to comment on the appearance of the new field? I think it looks as fantastic as the players say it is to play on. Article?

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

Note to Tanner - Protecting Todd's blindside against UNC gets you a whopper jr. Now if you can keep him upright against NU, UT, and the like, then you deserve dinner where you don't stand to order. The best thing tho is that if you deserve the dinner from Todd, then you'll also likely be getting some nice sit downs from the school and a few other org's.

cwag 10 years, 4 months ago

Right there with ya, 108. One game against 1-AA talent does not qualify.

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

Goodness Dagger108 - I can't be taken literally all the time, give me a break. Besides, it would be nice if it were true, however the lineman has not had beef with Reesing, so it does not classify as one of the twenty three legal plays-on-words. "The lineman will have beef with Reesing" might be slightly better, but even that is presumptuous. Get it right! Go KU!

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 4 months ago

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm waiting for the headline:

Reesing taps three preps with beef

On a serious note, Sparky was running a lot against a D2 team (or whatever they are called these days). This is a lot like going to Starbucks and paying $3.00 for a coffee and seeing a tip jar on the counter. This isn't the NFL. Just keep sawing wood.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

Frankly, I'm tired of your constant critiques of each article, gardenjay. It wouldn't be so bad if you commented about the IDEAS in th story, but commenting on style and grammar is not what the rest of us want to read. If you want to correct or commend the writer, just click on his name on the by-line and it will take you to his email.

jhawk23 10 years, 4 months ago

The caption under the picture says T-Hawk added 50 pounds since coming to Lawrence, but the article says 80 pounds. Which is it?

Jhawk0 10 years, 4 months ago

The guy deserves at least a few trips through the Peking Taste buffet.

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

Reesing- Learn from Aikman, take care of your lineman, even if it's Mickey D's!!! LOL

Seriously, that kind of protection is well-worth a meal!

Great story-

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

ttoulouse: go watch the game again. The pocket was not breaking down. UNoCo was dropping 8 players into coverage and our WRs could not get open. But our OL was providing plenty of protection - Todd had all day to throw, but no one to throw to. But with good protection and plenty of running lanes, Todd took what they gave him...easy 5-10 yard scrambles.

DCJayhawk0208 10 years, 4 months ago

KUWells,

How about "Reesing taps three coeds with beef" ?

Kevin Kunde 10 years, 4 months ago

Northern Colorado..... Keep it up against Big 12 schools... Then you might be entitled to a steak for your coverage.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

DCJayhawk:there has been a bit of a running gag on here ever since the headline "Three preps tap Kansas women"

Just trying to keep the humor alive...

lthc04 10 years, 4 months ago

Hawkings needs to play a real opponent before demanding dinners from upper classmen.

chezlog 10 years, 4 months ago

Gardenjay, I thought your post was funny.

DocBean 10 years, 4 months ago

I graduated from KU in 2002, and haven't been back to Lawrence's Chinese Buffets. Is the one that used to be behind Hastings, off of Iowa still there?

That place was super cheap. And pretty good. ....I miss Lawrence.

DCJayhawk0208 10 years, 4 months ago

Ah, KUWells, I guess I was behind the curve. That's a great headline.

My all-time favorite KUSports.com headline though:

"Mangino: Cupcakes Serve Purpose"

KGphoto 10 years, 4 months ago

LT may not seem glorious, but at Kansas it's a nice path to the NFL. So Tanner, you better get used to buying the beef. Cuz I've got good money that says you'll be folding more lettuce than our superhero, econo-crazy QB in a few years. For now, maybe you two should go dutch.

KGphoto 10 years, 4 months ago

LMAO DC. That is brutal! I can't believe they actually published it.

stravinsky 10 years, 4 months ago

I laughed pretty hard when the headline "Three Preps Tap Kansas Women" headline came out. I mean really, copy editors. Unless they enjoy printing double meaning headlines to make us laugh, in which case I'm all for it.

I also laugh really hard during basketball stories every time they talk about how much our guys like having more big bodies to bang with.

Yes, I guess I do have the maturity level of a twelve year old...

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

KG: You should have see the photo that went with the story. It showed a photo of what appeared to be a really pissed off coach screaming at a ref. It looked like he was going to eat him. I've saved that photo to my desktop for 2 years!

stravinsky: about the same time the three preps were busy tapping, this headline also appeared: Kansas rowing taps assistant

No one is safe on the hill, back in July, the track coach tapped an aide... KU’s Redwine tapped as Team USA aide: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/ju...

Perhaps I have the maturity level of a 12 year old myself...

JJHawq 10 years, 4 months ago

"Jayhawk fans pick seats" was a doozy.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 4 months ago

"Now I didn't watch the game Saturday focusing on the O-line, so I cannot attest directly to Hawkinson's play. But is seems like Reesing was scrambling a lot and the pocket was breaking down pretty fast which tells me that Ressing had more to do with escaping pressure than the line did. May have to watch it again to make sure :)"

ttl: yes, you should focus on the line....but if you watched the game, (which i did live) you would have clearly seen that Reesing had all day to throw. the only time there was a threat, was a controlled roll out...and an end would jump the outside. of course, Todd is so quick on his feet and his mind, he just set 'em up and went by them or eluded them.

i think this article was pegged to be a bit funny...tongue in cheek type. Mr. Hawkinson cannot be so cocky, to view himself as having handled D-1AA competition, as to being an all Big 12 tackle. Yes, Nebraska, OU, MU and UT will have some say in this.

as to Mr. Dorsey and Mr. Woods on the d line, it is interesting. the talent is getting better...and some veteran guys lose their gigs. Dorsey unseats Blakesley and Woods will have to improve. I tell you Laptad looks pretty good...and Foster seems to be a natural. We have some young DEs that will redshirt thisyear....it's all looking good for the future, for sure.

stravinsky 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm just waiting for the headline "So-and-so as a possible KU Assistant? HCBS/MM Admits He Would Tap That"

McPhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't think Tanner is being cocky, I think he is just joking around. I went to highschool with him and he was anything but cocky

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

Well, KU, I will compromise with you, although you have to admit most of these posts contain some of the category you would like minimized. So, in addition to my grammatical comments, which are in support of the football team and its academic standards (a lot of team members read these posts), I agree to also make appropriate comments about the content of each article.

With that requirement, then....that perception Hawkinson had of it being a one-on-one battle every play was interesting to me, because for some reason putting it that way made me thing of the OL almost like the pawns in a chess game. Then I thought, that would mean, though, that to have the correct proportions, a chess game would have to have enormous KU pawns, with a tiny KU king in the backfield. Our KU team has just the opposite of the proportions of a chess set. Interesting! Go KU!

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 4 months ago

GardenJay... it is a play on the phrase... He has beef with Reesing, because he hasn't been taken to dinner for protecting him. Get it?

People... quit criticizing the site! If you do not like the information provided go somewhere else. No need to piss and moan all the time. Leave that to those from mizzou

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

TaCityHawkFan - well we have one thing in common at least: GO KU!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

McPhawk says - "I don't think Tanner is being cocky, I think he is just joking around."

Absolutely, and the writer also, hence the "... or Chinese" comment. I was originally going to suggest that he had earned a Whopper, been then thought that the "Jr" would help to draw attention to the humor. Apparently, some people are far more literal, which as long as they don't get too insulting (see mizzoo at KCStar), just leaves me chuckling all the more.

Glad to hear the hometown cred's for Tanner.

Rock Chalk

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 4 months ago

Hawkinson, with all due respect, when you can prove that you can snap the ball without snapping it over his head, then I'll buy you a steak dinner. But dude, you almost cost us at least 3 turnovers, and I believe on all three of those drives we scored. I think you should buy Todd a steak dinner for saving the Turnovers.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 4 months ago

It wasn't you that snapped it, my mistake. But this is a team sport, I don't think he owes you for doing your job, and maybe you were just having good fun, which I hope, because that could become a distraction to the team if you aren't joking.

JBurtin 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow, jayhawkintx73 is officially retarded

nuff said

stravinsky 10 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, that's in impressive level of dumb.

Just so you know dude, it pretty clearly says "left tackle" in the first sentence.

Random question, Briscoe is a defensive tackle, right? If not I've been cheering for the wrong guy the whole time...

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Ummmm, I'm confused. The defensive tackle snaps the football, right? I thought Briscoe was the punter. And, I thought Aldrich was the center. This football confuses the hell out of me.

stravinsky 10 years, 4 months ago

Wait, are we playing australian rules football? Or is this the international kind? I hear Spain has a real good team this year, and Brazil is always pretty intense. I hope we don't have them on our schedule...

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

I do to. Because that guy that shreaks GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAL for 15 minutes after every score is really annoying. I do like watcing the guy with the hat run out and point after every score. That is cool. Now if Mangino did that. That would be awesome.