Thursday, September 10, 2009

KU men’s basketball tickets available

A limited number of Kansas University men’s basketball season tickets are on sale, KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony announced Wednesday.

Marchiony said faculty-staff ticket sales were “lower than they have been in the past,” making some tickets available.

The university this year is not funding a 20 percent discount for faculty-staff tickets because of budgetary concerns.

Tickets can be purchased at kuathletics.com.

Comments

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 4 months ago

the university shouldn't HAVE to "fund" the discount. Providing the faculty and staff of the university an in-house discount is a no brainer and should be budgeted in by the athletic department, not the university.

e93bigd 10 years, 4 months ago

Didn't KU Athletics just give $40M back to the U? Probably could have been $39.95M then keep the discount available.

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

As a former staff memeber I find it disappointing that the discounts are no longer offered. Who funds it (I'm sure they can find the money somewhere) is irrelevant, providing the discount is a must!

MrOlathe 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm not really sure why it should be expected that the university subsidize the cost of tickets for faculty. Most people in this country are aware of the economic situation we are in and everybody is tightening their budgets. The university should do the same. If the faculty can't afford tickets at full price, then they'll just have to pass on them this year.

PV_Hawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I have to agree with MrOlathe. In these times pretty much all companies are cutting back on perks and these are perks that aren't necessarily in as high demand as being able to watch our beloved Hawks. The faculty should be happy they have jobs at this point, unlike many Americans.

JayCeph 10 years, 4 months ago

These tix should be seen no differently than the other tiered ticket prices and factored into the annual block of expected sales/revenue. To suggest that the 'discounts' need to be funded by anyone is ludicrous. They are just lower priced tickets in the tier... like student tickets. No different.

If a University can't find a way to maintain a near-zero overhead perk offered to its faculty and staff, then something is more terribly wrong than what this present economy is forcing us to face. Making excuses for this cut-back under the guise of 'the economy is struggling' is shameful.

If that truly is the case, and the university REALLY needs that extra couple hundred dollars they would lose, then they need to get rid of student discounts and charge more for every ticket. If this isn't an acceptable solution to the problem, then there isn't really a problem.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 4 months ago

The economy isn't hurting the athletic department. The KU athletic department stands to make more money this year than ever. PLus, I am confused by the "funding" of discounted tickets. Why would they pay a difference for the faculty? They set the prices. This was a money grab, and while it maked financial sense, it is pretty lame. You should get some perks to working somewhere. Retailers are still offering employee discounts to employess. Restaurants offer meal discounts to employees. Oh well, I guess the demand for tickets to KU basketball will make it a moot point, but it would be nice to see KU give something back to the employees. Heck, they already have to pay to park on campus just to go to work.

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 4 months ago

The other question is - If the faculty aren't buying the tickets and they're offered to the public, will the faculty have the opportunity to purchase them next year or are they "permanently" public? This scenario would be really low if the faculty tix are a use-them-or-lose them situation.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine how many staff members wouldn't have bought them if we weren't going into an amazing year? At this point, while everyone is obviously happy about our new athletic success, KU tickets are increasingly unaffordable for long-term KU fans. I enjoy championships, but I enjoy being able to actually GO TO THE GAMES even more.

The university just gave $40 million to the university. Nice gift, no qualms there, but the point, which I believe has already been mentioned above, is that the athletic dept. is not hurting, it's soaring!

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Historically, the KU Athletic Department was just that, a department of the University. Staff used to get a huge ticket discount (around 50% I believe) off of what was offered to the public. Then, when it became an issue of taxable income, the discount was lowered to 20%. Then, KUAD became KUAC. For appropriate lines of fiscal separation, KUAC could not sell the tickets to KU staff for less than it sold it to the public. The University then picked up the existing 20% difference as a benefit expenditure. It’s a misnomer to think KUAC was out any money because of the 20% discount.

As things got really tight at KU last year, this was one of the first expenditures cut. The mission of KU is research and to educate young minds, not to help pay for sports tickets (or so the line went.) And, as ticket prices soared, the dollar amount of that 20% really grew and became some low hanging fruit to cut. It was framed this way, “would you rather have this benefit cut, or have us cut staff and keep the benefit?”

Now, one basketball season ticket for a KU employee is about $1200. So, buying 1 ticket now equals $100 per month when you budget it out over a year. As I remember from my ECON class at KU, when price goes up, demand goes down. For most, this would be a $2400 commitment because who would want to buy just one ticket? Then, there is the additional cost of parking, concessions, etc., that goes along with the tickets. And, KUAC has really cracked down on ticket scalping. IMHO, a lot of people who work at KU would love to have tickets, but spending $2400+ a year is just a bit too much to swallow.

mikehawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I can easily see both sides of this issue. Sadly, this is big time money for big time college sports in America. Find revenue from anywhere you can find it.

ABeesus 10 years, 4 months ago

Restaurants and retailers give employee discounts as a form of additional compensation to induce them to take the job, because wages at such places are quite low. They have no pensions, and often, no medical insurance.

Why should professors and professional employees who are already largely insulated from market forces, due to taxpayer subsidization of the U, get the discounted tickets perk?

Golfer92 10 years, 4 months ago

"As I remember from my ECON class at KU, when price goes up, demand goes down." Uhhhhh. I hated ECON--but I am pretty sure that when the price of something goes up, its because the demand for it is high--not low. Kind of like supply/demand. KU hoops is in demand, so the price goes up, etc.

Golfer92 10 years, 4 months ago

I see where the faculty (staff) may not want to pony up for the more expensive ticket, but its obvious that the AD doesn't care, and wants to make as much as he possibly can regardless of whether the tickets are purchased by faculty or non-faculty.

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Golfer, ECON was not my favorite class either. But, my point was that raising the price of any commodity decreases the overall demand for it. In this case, the level of demand from KU employees was affected by the relative price increase. Otherwise, the KU employees would have bought more tickets. But, this market is not limited to KU employees so eventually all the tickets will be sold at the higher price. I’m not disagreeing with your point that higher demand causes higher prices, but I must not have made my earlier point very clear.

Bee Bee 10 years, 4 months ago

Ive been going to games since 1977 and I ve never gotten a DISCOUNT! Dont pay it if you dont want to go. I ll pay the full price and be glad to do it!